Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson on “Cameron’s epic mistake re the Greens and

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited January 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson on “Cameron’s epic mistake re the Greens and the debates”

For most of the Greens’ history, the fourth party has been either the SNP or the dominant Unionist party in N Ireland: the former has consistently won fourth-most general election votes until surpassed by UKIP in 2005, the latter regularly had fourth-most seats.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I thought it was up to David Cameron to decide the format of the debates and if they will go ahead? He could just agree to one with Ed Miliband and that would be the one which is of value as none of the other party leaders have a chance of becoming PM.
  • Options
    The Green Party may not be a "major" party (whatever major is defined as) but who said the debates were only for major parties?
    If being included in the debates means that you have to poll above 10% or have a chance at winning a few dozen seats then it's going to be almost impossible for "minor" parties to get anywhere near the debates. UKIP have been incredibly lucky over the past several years that the issues that they talk about have taken centre stage. If it wasn't for the recession or the Eurozone crisis then I highly doubt UKIP would be polling anywhere near the level they are today.
    The debates are meant to inform voters of the party's policies and have them criticise their rivals ideas. If you only include parties that are already popular and receive large media coverage then what the point?
    We should set the bar much lower for entry into the debates (polling 4-5%?) so that some smaller parties such as Green and possibly SNP can have their say, and for the "major" parties to say why they should continue to remain "major".
  • Options
    Also, if they went ahead with just Miliband, Clegg and Farage, it would be either Clegg or Farage who would come out on top as they are both better speakers than Miliband, which would increase both their votes and in the case of the Lib Dems reduce Labours, so I doubt whether Ed Miliband would agree to go ahead without Cameron being there.

In fact it is a daft suggestion to say that they would all just go against Cameron because they will be debating each other on the night and they can't all just talk about him, they have got to win the debate against the people present, not the ones that aren't! If the public feel Cameron had been bullied by the others, they won't like it, so all in all I think this is a totally stupid assessment.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    The HIGNFY tub of lard was awesome.

Not sure what they'd put on Cameron's chair though.
  • Options
    This was not a knee-jerk reaction made by Cameron in isolation. Rather it is something the blue team have had many months to think about before coming to a decision, which makes it all the more surprising.
    The Tories always seem spectacularly bad in getting such things completely wrong.
  • Options
    Corrinne said:

Also, if they went ahead with just Miliband, Clegg and Farage, it would be either Clegg or Farage who would come out on top as they are both better speakers than Miliband, which would increase both their votes and in the case of the Lib Dems reduce Labours, so I doubt whether Ed Miliband would agree to go ahead without Cameron being there.

In fact it is a daft suggestion to say that they would all just go against Cameron because they will be debating each other on the night and they can't all just talk about him, they have got to win the debate against the people present, not the ones that aren't! If the public feel Cameron had been bullied by the others, they won't like it, so all in all I think this is a totally stupid assessment.

The impact of the visuals - three leaders debating and an empty space where the bloke who ducked it should be - would totally blow away the impact of anything that actually happened during the debates, short of Ed Miliband dropping his trousers to reveal his swastika tattoo.

Assuming the broadcasters are prepared to play hardball and Ed Miliband doesn't secretly want to duck the thing too, Cameron is going to have to show up.

That said, I think we're in danger of over-playing the importance of these preliminary skirmishes, which are part negotiation and part playing to the gallery. Once they actually have the debates the voters will forget about who initially tried to duck them.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    It is not accurate to say that the Green Party (or parties) has (have) only contested 12 out of 19 parliamentary by-elections. They have actually contested 12 out of 21. If you want to criticise the Green Party for not contesting all by-elections, you should also criticise the Conservative, Labour Liberal Democrat and UK Independence Parties for not also contesting all by-elections for the UK Parliament.
  • Options
    I want to know how/why did Clegg and Brown both have their left leg in the air like that at that moment? It would be helpful to see a video of the clip of the surrounding few seconds so that we can see the context.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

I want to know how/why did Clegg and Brown both have their left leg in the air like that at that moment? It would be helpful to see a video of the clip of the surrounding few seconds so that we can see the context.

If you can get hold of the whole thing and note down all the times two leaders have a leg in the air at the same time, including which leg and the duration of each occasion, post it here and we'll see if we can decode it.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited January 2015
    FPT:

By the way, I applaud the decision of the British press not to publish the cartoons. I have kept away from this topic, knowing how the rabid right will react. So I simply remark: well done to our media. Spot bloody on.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should .

Disgraceful.

So when the next demand is we should have segregated seating in public performances, women at the back, men at the front, is the answer going to be "just because you can sit where you want, it doesnt mean you should should"

Or possibly burning books like the Satanic Verses "just because you can read what you want, it doesn't mean you should should"

And then perhaps they will want to ban listening to music "just because you can listen to what you want, it doesn't mean you should should"

When the requirement to wear a veil is made "just because you can show your face , it doesn't mean you should should"

Or they might want to ban homosexuals "just because you can love who you want, it doesn't mean you should should"

Where does it end ?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

FPT:

By the way, I applaud the decision of the British press not to publish the cartoons. I have kept away from this topic, knowing how the rabid right will react. So I simply remark: well done to our media. Spot bloody on.

Disgraceful.

So when the next demand is we should have segregated seating in public performances, women at the back, men at the front, is the answer going to be "just because you can sit where you want, it doesnt mean you should should"

Or possibly burning books like the Satanic Verses "just because you can read what you want, it doesn't mean you should should"

And then perhaps they will want to ban listening to music "just because you can listen to what you want, it doesn't mean you should should"

When the requirement to wear a veil is made "just because you can show your face , it doesn't mean you should should"

Or they might want to ban homosexuals "just because you can love who you want, it doesn't mean you should should"

Where does it end ?
    Just because you're able to write a comment on PoliticalBetting without editing it carefully enough, it doesn't mean you should should should should should.

• Options
    EddieEddie Posts: 34
    It can only be called an epic mistake, after it is proven to be a mistake. As for putting a target on his back, he who dares wins. Time will tell.
  • Options
    EddieEddie Posts: 34
    Corrinne said:

I agree.It is highly unlikely they would go ahead without Cameron just to deny the Greens the little time they would get anyway. I believe Cameron is more interested to giving the Greens a boost than dodging the debates. His position is more an act of genius than an epic mistake.

• Options
    JohnLoony said:

Indigo said:

FPT:

Disgraceful.

Where does it end ?
    Just because you're able to write a comment on PoliticalBetting without editing it carefully enough, it doesn't mean you should should should should should.

Weird... it didn't say that when I posted it
    (cue "X-files" soundtrack)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Eddie said:

It can only be called an epic mistake, after it is proven to be a mistake. As for putting a target on his back, he who dares wins. Time will tell.

It is an epic mistake if -- if -- David Cameron is confident he can out-debate Ed Miliband. The pb consensus at PMQs each Wednesday is that he invariably knocks out the man in the red corner, so unless we discount pb Tories as being hopelessly biased, oh, hold on.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Yes, a disastrous decision by Cameron. All hope of a Tory majority has disappeared now IMO.

This was not a knee-jerk reaction made by Cameron in isolation. Rather it is something the blue team have had many months to think about before coming to a decision, which makes it all the more surprising.
    The Tories always seem spectacularly bad in getting such things completely wrong.

• Options
    From Two Threads Ago, but anyway, for the purpose of pedantry:

Anorak said:

Martin Brunt @skymartinbrunt
    #paristerror UK cop source: UK and Fr w similar 60m population. Fr has 278,000 cops, most armed, UK 129,000 cops and few armed.

Why does La République need so many rozzers?

Because it's almost 3 times the land area and has borders with 6(?) countries?
    France has land borders with 11 other countries: Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Spain, Andorra, Brazil, Suriname and the Netherlands (the border between Saint-Martin and Sint-Maarten).
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

The HIGNFY tub of lard was awesome.

Not sure what they'd put on Cameron's chair though.
    Surely, a shiver looking for a spine to run up? :-D
  • Options
    Could Cameron be planning to empty-chair Labour? Stage a debate with Clegg, Farage, and Bennett, all of whom can then attack Labour for being unwilling to face them in honest debate.

I doubt the other party leaders would cooperate with such a scheme, but Cameron might be optimistic enough to think he can persuade them.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Let's be frank, David Herdson is miffed, others on here are miffed, because they like politics. The debates fuel their desire. Therefore anything written on the subject by them is likely to be biased unless they are capable of bracketing out their own preferences.

Your article, David, is replete with non-sequiturs. You refer to the 1989 Euro result by the Greens as 'lucky' which is code for 'I didn't like it and it doesn't fit in my argument.' You pin your argument on the 'fact' that the Greens do not come 4th, and therefore are not a major party, but follow this up with a series of non-sequiturs about the SNP and N.Irish parties not being GB national. You make references to the performance of the Greens in parliament. Then you diss their politics, again because you don't like them.

Not once do you mention the fact that 300,000 people signed the Change.org petition to have the Greens included in the debate. You may not like them but this omission is astonishing from someone purporting to write a sensible balance article on the subject.

And you completely ignore the most recent nationwide election that this country has held: the 2014 European elections. In case you hadn't noticed the Greens came 4th in that election with 8% of the vote, beating the Liberal Democracts into 5th place, and walloping the SNP, DUP and all other parties except the Conservatives, Labour and UKIP.

Finally, the politics of the Greens appeals to a lot of young voters. Instead of appearing to peer snootily down your nose at them, perhaps you should consider the effect of further disenfranchising them, and the elitist Westminster bubble is portrays.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Mark Pack - Smart politics by Cameron in trying to force inclusion of Greens in TV election debates

"What’s Labour’s biggest electoral failing in this Parliament? It’s failure to win over voters from the Tories. (The number of Conservative to Labour converts in this Parliament is tiny. Towards the end of last year ICM found just 2% of the Conservative 2010 vote had switched to Labour whilst Lord Ashcroft put it only at 4%.)

And what’s the biggest risk that things might get even worse? That left-wing voters who don’t like Labour’s boasts of making further cuts after May, curbing welfare further and reducing immigration will switch to the Greens.

Which is why David Cameron’s reaction to the news that Ukip but not the Greens has passed the de facto threshold for inclusion in TV election debates smart: insist he’ll only take part if the Greens are there too. Miliband’s votes, not his, are the ones that puts at risk."
    Eddie said:

Corrinne said:

I agree.It is highly unlikely they would go ahead without Cameron just to deny the Greens the little time they would get anyway. I believe Cameron is more interested to giving the Greens a boost than dodging the debates. His position is more an act of genius than an epic mistake.

• Options
    Its going to be pretty tough trying to pin a target on Cameron's back on this issue after he took part in the last GE Leadership debates, but also led the way to their first ever inclusion in a GE after he went head to head with David Davis in televised debates during the Conservative Leadership contest. I think that Cameron has a point when he recently noted that the last Leadership debates sucked the life out of the rest of the GE campaign, he suggested holding them over a longer period this time rather than cramming them into a few weeks during the final weeks in the lead up to the GE.
    Eddie said:

• Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Indigo said:

FPT:

Disgraceful.

Where does it end ?
    There are a couple of very well written, balanced, articles on this here:
    http://ricardhos.tumblr.com/post/107613391678/charlie-hebdo-the-british-press-and-islam
    and here:
    http://paper-bird.net/2015/01/09/why-i-am-not-charlie/

They're spot on.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited January 2015
    Judging by the Scottish Indy "debates" we ought to appoint a champion for each party and set up a "cage fight" competition instead, the better to cater to our blood-lust.

Cameron's feint is making the right point for the wrong narrow political reasons. A lot of people are getting worried about our environmental impacts, notwithstanding, however, our resident expert's definite statement that we will have at most a fraction of a degree effect on global temperature.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

They're secret Larry Grayson fans?

• Options
    edited January 2015

http://ricardhos.tumblr.com/post/107613391678/charlie-hebdo-the-british-press-and-islam
    and here:

They're spot on.

They don't say what you say.

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should "

In a free society anyone should have the right to say anything without getting shot, and anyone who doesn't like it should have the right to say so equally as vocally and in just as stronger terms. Of course no one has to publish anything they dont want to, but it should be clear that the reason they are not publishing is because they disagree with the content, not because they sympathise with the views of the threateners, or because they think there should be limits put on free speech.

One of the problems of course is that large chunks of the left, by and large dont like free speech, you see this idiotic, and dangerous "no platform" crap all over the place, as if by stopping something saying something you will make their views go away. Shamefully parts of the current government seem to share the same views, given the speakers banned recently from the UK because people didn't like their views.

The implication in a number of publications, like the FT, was that the cartoonists were courting trouble and should have known better, which is a disgrace. They should have an absolute right to offend anyone they choose, and the offended by the same token have an absolute right to try and discredit the statement, the author or anything else.

You can't have "a bit of free speech" otherwise you are enabling other people to decide which bits are free and which bits are not, the founding fathers of the US understood this
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
    In seeking to protect people from free speech, as with idiotic legislation like the 2006 Act we give terrorist and other malcontents places to hide, they can say if we are prepared to make exceptions on free speech for race or religion, why can't we make them for images they find offensive, their apologists were all over the media yesterday saying just that. The only defensible position on freedom of speech is absolute, otherwise its just an endless conveyor belt of whataboutery and special pleading.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

FPT:

Disgraceful.

Where does it end ?
    and here:

They're spot on.

In a free society anyone should have the right to say anything without getting shot, and anyone who doesn't like it should have the right to say so equally as vocally and in just as stronger terms. Of course no one has to publish anything they dont want to, but it should be clear that the reason they are not publishing is because they disagree with the content, not because they sympathise with the views of the threateners, or because they think there should be limits put on free speech.

You can't have "a bit of free speech" otherwise you are enabling other people to decide which bits are free and which bits are not, the founding fathers of the US understood this
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
    In seeking to protect people from free speech, as with idiotic legislation like the 2006 Act we give terrorist and other malcontents places to hide, they can say if we are prepared to make exceptions on free speech for race or religion, why can't we make them for images they find offensive, their apologists were all over the media yesterday saying just that. The only defensible position on freedom of speech is absolute, otherwise its just an endless conveyor belt of whataboutery and special pleading.

just because you can vote for Cameron doesn't mean you should :-)
  • Options
    The debates last time were fairly boring TV, maybe it was the format or maybe it was just 3 dorks fibbing for 2 hours but it wasn't very informative or entertaining.

The predictable "we won" claims from armies of spinners after the event just highlighted how much use they were.

This time round I can't really see me having the motivation to sit through them, there are better things to do on an evening in April.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2015
    Indigo said:

and here:

They're spot on.

One of the problems of course is that large chunks of the left, by and large dont like free speech, you see this idiotic, and dangerous "no platform" crap all over the place, as if by stopping something saying something you will make their views go away. Shamefully parts of the current government seem to share the same views, given the speakers banned recently from the UK because people didn't like their views.

The implication in a number of publications, like the FT, was that the cartoonists were courting trouble and should have known better, which is a disgrace. They should have an absolute right to offend anyone they choose, and the offended by the same token have an absolute right to try and discredit the statement, the author or anything else.

An excellent post. "large chunks of the left" is a bit unfair though. It's not an untrue characterisation, but neither is "large chunks of the right" or even "large chunks of the middle"

Remember when Gerry Adams' voice was outlawed?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Toms said:

A lot of people are getting worried about our environmental impacts, notwithstanding, however, our resident expert's definite statement that we will have at most a fraction of a degree effect on global temperature.

A lot of people thought the sun went around the earth, they even tortured Galileo for saying this wasn't the case, and refused to look at his evidence. His books were burned, if he was around today the BBC would be saying the scientific view was settled and we shouldn't be giving airtime to these cranks and crackpots. A lot of people might be right, or they might be wrong, the number of people believing something doesn't make it more right or more wrong. I am told millions of people believe Justin Beiber sounds musical.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Where there's a will there's a way.
    Twitter
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 3m3 minutes ago
    EXCL: ITV agrees to TV election debate talks with the Greens: http://sunpl.us/6015afHx
  • Options
    Pong said:

Remember when Gerry Adams' voice was outlawed?

Absolutely. I would put the recent bans on various people speaking in the UK made by Theresa May in the same category. Julien Blanc isnt remotely my cup of tea, but he should not have been banned, he should have been allowed to speak, and then been taken to task by commentators and ridiculed mercilessly.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    David Herdson noted :

"Mike Smithson is due to take part in a discussion on prospects for the coming election with Ben Page of Ipsos-MORI on BBC Radio 4’s “The Week in Westminster” at 11am."

It's fair to say OGH has a hair style safe for the wireless.

.........................................................................................

Meanwhile .... the debates nonsense continues. As in 2010 the Green Party, Ukip and Respect do not deserve on past general election performance to be in first tier of debates.

They should compete in a single national debate and then allow the Con/Lab/LibDems to address the nation in two final debates. Regional debates in Wales, Scotland and Ulster may also take place.

Accordingly all parties would be fairly represented.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    If they empty-seated Cameron, then the Greens should insist they had an empty seat too.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Toms said:

A lot of people are getting worried about our environmental impacts, notwithstanding, however, our resident expert's definite statement that we will have at most a fraction of a degree effect on global temperature.

A lot of people thought the sun went around the earth, they even tortured Galileo for saying this wasn't the case, and refused to look at his evidence. His books were burned, if he was around today the BBC would be saying the scientific view was settled and we shouldn't be giving airtime to these cranks and crackpots. A lot of people might be right, or they might be wrong, the number of people believing something doesn't make it more right or more wrong. I am told millions of people believe Justin Beiber sounds musical.

Yes indeed. Perhaps we ought to vet people before we allow them to vote.
  • Options

If they empty-seated Cameron, then the Greens should insist they had an empty seat too.

empty seats for the empty-headed, 5 enpty seats on prime TV for an hour, could be an improvement on the last time.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Where there's a will there's a way.
    Twitter
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 3m3 minutes ago
    EXCL: ITV agrees to TV election debate talks with the Greens: http://sunpl.us/6015afHx

The dam begins to crumble.

My patent "JackW Debate Solution" (featured below) is available free of charge to the nation.

• Options
    Toms said:

Indigo said:

Toms said:

No, we just shouldn't confuse politics with science, just because a million people believe something, doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    How about this: Cameron doesn't want to run the risk of a Flashman moment in the full glare of a TV debate in front of millions of people, as he knows -- or more likely Lynton Crosby knows, as Cameron himself probably doesn't have the self-awareness -- that it would be a massive turn off for voters in general ,and for women in particular.

After all, his frequent Flashman moments at PMQs are only noticed by the kind of people who comment on this website, and are actually cheered by the baying mob of public schoolboys he has behind him (and beside him) every week in the House. There is no real political cost for him from this at PMQs, especially as most of the Tory press sketch-writers and commentators have been educated in the same tradition and so think that this is absolutely normal behaviour (indeed, most of them probably look up to him on exactly this point as most will have been to lesser public schools and will be in awe of what they see as the pukka OE panache for dealing with social inferiors).

But just one example of this bullying, born-to-rule essence of his character in front of millions of voters actually paying attention for a change would be enough to raise his campaign to the ground as not only would the initial impact of the moment itself be devastating (this would be the first shelling, as it were), but it would also then be played over and over again by the media (the tanks rolling through in the follow-up assault) until at last all that was left was rubble.

It is clear to anyone who follow politics closely that he can be very easily needled, and his typical reaction is to turn puce (which wouldn't look great in front of millions either), raise his voice into full braying mode, and shout condescending insults de haut en bas.

Let's be clear: this born-to-rule essence of his character is barely disguised even at the best of times, and somebody in Tory HQ is obviously concerned that the risk of his losing control for a brief but crucial moment in front of the masses (or should that be 'plebs'?) is just too great.

Someone is trying to save him from himself.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Nevermind an alternative history - David is writing an alternative present - a 5 way debate open to tv networks is on the table.

@DigitalDebateUK: See more details on our invitation today to the 5 UK-wide parties, including the Green Party http://t.co/bShbTFV8Ei #DigitalDebate

@tombradby: I might be wrong, but I think there is quite a good chance David Cameron will accept this Youtube debate proposal.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Nevermind an alternative history - David is writing an alternative present - a 5 way debate open to tv networks is on the table.

If he likes online debates, why did he chicken out of the Leaders Live debate run by ITV ? Showing contempt for younger voters doesn't exactly chime with extending the franchise to 16 year olds.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Porlock said:

Yes, I can see the danger, Ed Miliband is smooth as silk under the cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlTggc0uBA8
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    OT. Marquee.

Having now seen everything except 'Selma' 'Boyhood has to be favourite for 'Best Film' with Richard Linklater 'Best Director' and Eddie Redmayne 'Best Actor'. Have I missed anything?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Porlock

' or more likely Lynton Crosby knows, as Cameron himself probably doesn't have the self-awareness -- that it would be a massive turn off for voters in general ,and for women in particular.'

Couldn't be worse than Ed's repulsive face on TV?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Toms said:

Indigo said:

Toms said:

No, we just shouldn't confuse politics with science, just because a million people believe something, doesn't make it true.
    And good science is backed up by theory and data although it may be driven by guess work with an open mind. The fact that we all experience weather and live egoistically does not simplify the science.

If you can improve on democracy please tell us how.
  • Options
    Porlock said:

How about this: Cameron doesn't want to run the risk of a Flashman moment in the full glare of a TV debate in front of millions of people, as he knows -- or more likely Lynton Crosby knows, as Cameron himself probably doesn't have the self-awareness -- that it would be a massive turn off for voters in general ,and for women in particular.

After all, his frequent Flashman moments at PMQs are only noticed by the kind of people who comment on this website, and are actually cheered by the baying mob of public schoolboys he has behind him (and beside him) every week in the House. There is no real political cost for him from this at PMQs, especially as most of the Tory press sketch-writers and commentators have been educated in the same tradition and so think that this is absolutely normal behaviour (indeed, most of them probably look up to him on exactly this point as most will have been to lesser public schools and will be in awe of what they see as the pukka OE panache for dealing with social inferiors).

But just one example of this bullying, born-to-rule essence of his character in front of millions of voters actually paying attention for a change would be enough to raise his campaign to the ground as not only would the initial impact of the moment itself be devastating (this would be the first shelling, as it were), but it would also then be played over and over again by the media (the tanks rolling through in the follow-up assault) until at last all that was left was rubble.

It is clear to anyone who follow politics closely that he can be very easily needled, and his typical reaction is to turn puce (which wouldn't look great in front of millions either), raise his voice into full braying mode, and shout condescending insults de haut en bas.

Let's be clear: this born-to-rule essence of his character is barely disguised even at the best of times, and somebody in Tory HQ is obviously concerned that the risk of his losing control for a brief but crucial moment in front of the masses (or should that be 'plebs'?) is just too great.

What a load of porlocks !!

Cameron is a comfortable and easy debater and your class ridden diatribe says more about the paucity of your analysis than any reasoned assessment of the debate situation.

Cameron is like all other politicians in a position of power or near power - risk averse.

1. PM Thatcher rejected Kinnock's call for a debate in 87.
    2. PM Major rejected Kinnock again in 92.
    3. LotO Blair rejected dead man walking PM Major in 97.
    4. PM Blair rejected Hague in 01
    5. PM Blair rejected Howard and Kennedy in 05

Notable that in 2010 Cameron accepted debates with wounded PM Brown and wild card Clegg.

• Options
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

If he likes online debates, why did he chicken out of the Leaders Live debate run by ITV ? Showing contempt for younger voters doesn't exactly chime with extending the franchise to 16 year olds.
    He was probably too busy running the county

@JonathanBadyal: David Cameron: Gay marriage one of proudest achievements of 2014 http://t.co/lDYUCCtwgw
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

@JonathanBadyal: David Cameron: Gay marriage one of proudest achievements of 2014 http://t.co/lDYUCCtwgw
    But somehow won't be too busy for the Telegraph Digital or the main TV debates, gotcha.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

But somehow won't be too busy for the Telegraph Digital or the main TV debates, gotcha.
    How many people watched the Leader Live debates compared with the last election debates ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Porlock said:

What a *forceful* young man you are, for someone with 4 posts under his belt.

Can't help feeling I've seen you before.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    JackW said:

Porlock said:

[snip for length]

What a load of porlocks !!

Cameron is a comfortable and easy debater and your class ridden diatribe says more about the paucity of your analysis than any reasoned assessment of the debate situation.

Cameron is like all other politicians in a position of power or near power - risk averse.

1. PM Thatcher rejected Kinnock's call for a debate in 87.
    2. PM Major rejected Kinnock again in 92.
    3. LotO Blair rejected dead man walking PM Major in 97.
    4. PM Blair rejected Hague in 01
    5. PM Blair rejected Howard and Kennedy in 05

Notable that in 2010 Cameron accepted debates with wounded PM Brown and wild card Clegg.

Surely you confirm what you wish to deny? Porlock contends Cameron does not want to risk a Flashman moment. You refute this by saying Cameron is risk-averse.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

How many people watched the Leader Live debates compared with the last election debates ?
    "Too busy to talk to a few kids", he better not extend the franchise to 16 year olds then.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

"Too busy to talk to a few kids", he better not extend the franchise to 16 year olds then.
    That dastardly Cameron - he's waiting until the election before indulging in campaigning... Lol...
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Porlock said:

What a *forceful* young man you are, for someone with 4 posts under his belt.

Can't help feeling I've seen you before.

I had the same feeling. Haven't seen the word Flashman, women, public schoolboys, bullying, born-to-rule, puce and braying for a while. We used to see them all the time.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Meanwhile back in the real world.....

Ed Miliband's energy prices plan 'keeps bills high': Families should have seen a £140 reduction but Big Six haven't passed on savings amid fear over freeze policy . Experts say firms aren't cutting household bills before the election . Say it is down to Labour promise to freeze prices if they win office
    Some estimates say families should have seen bills fall by £140 . Comes as the price of crude oil had plummeted to below $50 a barrel

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2904189/Ed-Miliband-s-energy-prices-plan-keeps-bills-high-Families-seen-140-reduction-Big-Six-haven-t-passed-savings-amid-fear-freeze-policy.html#ixzz3OP6WCxdb
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

We that worked well... heh Ed?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I would have shouted 'House' but missed the word Bullingdon.
  • Options
    still a mistake ?

@Sun_Politics: EXCL: ITV agrees to TV election debate talks with the Greens: http://t.co/sDG6QIND81
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I would have shouted 'House' but missed the word Bullingdon.

I was just missing a Coulson
  • Options
    On topic

Given latest headlines and present seat count I thought the 4th party was SLAB

Would have been interesting to have Murphy and the Ed share the same platform at a debate.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    David's Herdson underestimates the desire of the media companies to ensure both that the debates take place and to avoid being seen to be biased against one party, particularly a party of government.

I now expect the debates to take place with the Greens in one debate. It's a small price to pay for the media companies.

What I'm less sure of is how the media companies intend to deal with OFCOM's guidance about major parties for any debates which exclude UKIP and/or the Lib Dems. The proposal was 2:3:4, with first UKIP then the Lib Dems dropping out. But presumably this has been thought about already.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

still a mistake ?

@Sun_Politics: EXCL: ITV agrees to TV election debate talks with the Greens: http://t.co/sDG6QIND81

Remember according to the left this is no ordinary mistake, it is an "Epic" mistake. For them perhaps?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Cameron is just politicking. He doesn't give a stuff about the greens.

This sort of tactical positioning infuses everything he does.

It is why he fails as PM.
  • Options
    For those that remember Asterix the Gaul he is back out of retirement for two cartoons. One of defiance the other of somber reflection.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2903889/Asterix-cartoonist-Albert-Uderzo-pays-tribute-Charlie-Hebdo-victims.html
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Not unexpectedly the security services have given their view today, which makes sober reading as usual.

Also not unexpectedly under the circumstances they make an understandable plea for more powers to catch the bad guys.

My feeling here is that in many respects governments are the security services worst enemy. Personally I would give the security services almost plenipotentiary powers to investigate and for want of a better word, spy, on anything they want in pursuit of defending the realm.

The problem is that when governments start looking at expanding the powers of the security services they can't help themselves but give large parts of those powers to other organisations, such that we end up with disgraces like RIPA which extends a subset of the surveillance powers to local councils, the Royal Mail, the Food Standards Agency etc

Personally I have no problem with MI5/6 mounting a surveillance operation on whoever they want to keep our country safe, I have a serious problem with my local council mounting a surveillance operation on people to see if they are putting the right kind of waste in the right kind of bin, or to see if parents are trying to get their kids into school outside their catchment area. I am glad to say the current government has made some inroads into these idiocies, but not remotely far enough.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/fraser-nelson/2015/01/six-key-points-from-mi5s-andrew-parker-speech-on-terrorism-in-britain/
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    OK OK OK we get the message, Dave is fecked, Dave can't win, perm any one of a hundred reasons why he can't , from lib Dem 2010 switchers to being a toff. and then write endless threads about it.. YAWN
  • Options
    edited January 2015

TGOHF said:

still a mistake ?

Remember according to the left this is no ordinary mistake, it is an "Epic" mistake. For them perhaps?
    An epic mistake is indicating a price freeze just before the market collapses. Given Ed cannot be that stupid and would be aware of the issues ( you would hope) one wonders if this was purposely done as political capital to arbitrarily keep prices high in an election year. Those of us in the industry knew things were changing as far back as last year.

Before anyone laughs Labour have very good form on this. Brown increased tax rates to 50% for the last 28 days of a term of the 13 years government and signed off extortionate payments to Brussels after the election and as he left No10. Measures that only caused further damage to the UK and presented difficulties to those that followed. It was well calculated and Labour have used " tax cuts for millionaires" for the last 5 years despite the rate being higher now than the entire term of the labour government bar one month.

For good measure he also took a 25 % pay cut as he left after taking 3 years pay at the higher rate.

I would put absolutely nothing past Labour if they could see any political gain.

• Options

OK OK OK we get the message, Dave is fecked, Dave can't win, perm any one of a hundred reasons why he can't , from lib Dem 2010 switchers to being a toff. and then write endless threads about it.. YAWN

But it's vital. Politicalbetting.coms growth strategy appears to be based on writing endless threads about why Cameron can't win and then ensure that half the thread comments are TSE talking about himself.

I think OGH is in danger of taking his eye off the ball as to why PB.com became so successful - not his fault, in many ways he is a victim of his own success with his ever growing media profile (so good luck to him).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

UKIP have been incredibly lucky over the past several years that the issues that they talk about have taken centre stage. If it wasn't for the recession or the Eurozone crisis then I highly doubt UKIP would be polling anywhere near the level they are today.

I'd suggest that Ukip's views about the EU and the Euro have come to pass. Sooner or later Ukip were going to rise in the polls.

If the Greens are convinced that they are right about their issues they'll get their day in the sun too.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

TGOHF said:

still a mistake ?

An epic mistake is indicating a price freeze just before the market collapses. Given Ed cannot be that stupid and would be aware of the issues ( you would hope) one wonders if this was purposely done as political capital to arbitrarily keep prices high in an election year..

Before anyone laughs Labour have very good form on this. Brown increased tax rates to 50% for the last 28 days of a term of the 13 years government and signed off extortionate payments to Brussels after the election and as he left No10.

For good measure he also took a 25 % pay cut as he left after taking 3 years pay at the higher rate.

I would put absolutely nothing past Labour if they could see any political gain.

Government intervening in markets this way is in his DNA - he can't stop himself (part of the arrogance of a Labour Government knowing better than anyone else). It is similar to Labour failing to fix the economy while the sun was shining; companies need to be allowed to make profits in "good times" to allow them investment to prepare for bad times (I don't know, such as a price crash in their major commodity").

The left will never get this as the left believes it knows best. In a way you can't criticise them for this; delusion is an illness.
  • Options
    Albion

"I think OGH is in danger of taking his eye off the ball as to why PB.com became so successful - not his fault, in many ways he is a victim of his own success with his ever growing media profile (so good luck to him). "

Hell hath no fury like a Tory when their leader is criticized.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2015
    More electoral suicide from the tories:

"Tough new strike vote laws under the Tories with ban on agency workers being brought into cover being overturned"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2904173/Tough-new-strike-vote-laws-Tories-ban-agency-workers-brought-cover-overturned.html

Next they will be promising to bring in Beecroft (able to sack without reason)

Thank goodness that a new centre right party has emerged to finally give workers an alternative to Socialism. Go Nigel Go.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Albion

"I think OGH is in danger of taking his eye off the ball as to why PB.com became so successful - not his fault, in many ways he is a victim of his own success with his ever growing media profile (so good luck to him). "

Hell hath no fury like a Tory when their leader is criticized.

Woger, my Champagne Socialist Tampax Loving Obama Dissing friend. I don't like Cameron being criticised all the time, he has done a good job. And as one who should know, you are aware that leader ratings consistently put him clear of his rivals (not difficult I know).
  • Options

I have now lost count now but this seems to be yet another of the endless threads on this such that I am now used to opening up and expecting good for reds and everyone else but bad for blues threads.
    Jeez .... even ed is crap threads only were one or two at a time maybe three on odd occasions. AV didn't rate this many

Before I get called a "rabid Tory" or similar I am and always have been an "anyone , (Monster Raving Loony if needs be or rainbow coalitions) but absolutely just anyone but Labour"
  • Options

"Tough new strike vote laws under the Tories with ban on agency workers being brought into cover being overturned"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2904173/Tough-new-strike-vote-laws-Tories-ban-agency-workers-brought-cover-overturned.html

Thank goodness that a new centre right party has emerged to finally give workers an alternative to Socialism. Go Nigel Go.

It's going to be a very crowded field on the hard left at the next election - with Labour, Greens and Kippers all competing for the statist anti business vote.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It's going to be a very crowded field on the hard left at the next election - with Labour, Greens and Kippers all competing for the statist anti business vote.
    Anti the sort of business people who carry on like Victorian mill owners is not anti business.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    OT - excellent take down of those who shout 'racist' over criticism of Islam:

The first mistake many liberals make is to confuse Islam (an ideology) with Muslims (people).

Islam is a set of ideas. It is an ideology. It inherently deserves no more or less respect than any other ideology. That is to say, it inherently deserves no respect whatsoever.

https://aralbalkan.com/notes/islam-is-privilege/
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Moses_ said:

I have now lost count now but this seems to be yet another of the endless threads on this such that I am now used to opening up and expecting good for reds and everyone else but bad for blues threads.
    Jeez .... even ed is crap threads only were one or two at a time maybe three on odd occasions. AV didn't rate this many

Before I get called a "rabid Tory" or similar I am and always have been an "anyone , (Monster Raving Loony if needs be or rainbow coalitions) but absolutely just anyone but Labour"
    Quite so, it does not seem to me to have balance any more. Of course its OGH's site and if he has made the editorial decision that Dave can't win and wants to tell everyone so in endless repetitive memes then so be it, I certainly won't argue the toss but it doesn't mean I am going to read endless threads about it.... it means I am going to find something else to do....
  • Options

When I worked at the Home Office in the 2000's the locals tried to go on strike during the world cup. England flags were banned from the office as the Unions thought they were divisive. The union leader however wanted to fly an Argentinian flag over his desk as although he was English he disagreed with Britain's claim over the Falklands. When this flag was not allowed he attempted to call a strike which did not happen.

However the tens of Union meetings called and attended by all at the office to discuss this did delay our work, which was to ensure that 90,000 public sector workers (including agency nurses and prison officers) had their pay corrected after 18 months of underpayment.

The PCS Union didn't seem too bothered about this delay.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Someone just drew my attention to this, advert banned in France after Catholic church complained

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4337031.stm
  • Options
    edited January 2015

TGOHF said:

Anti the sort of business people who carry on like Victorian mill owners is not anti business.
    I think if that becomes a Kipper policy you might just find Mr Cameron jumping a few points in the polls, the ex-Tory party section of UKIP won't be at all happy about that sort of policy, and you can forget picking up any Tory waverers. At one time I had high hopes for UKIP, but they increasingly are looking like they are going to need a unicycle rather than a taxi.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

TGOHF said:

still a mistake ?

An epic mistake is indicating a price freeze just before the market collapses. Given Ed cannot be that stupid and would be aware of the issues ( you would hope) one wonders if this was purposely done as political capital to arbitrarily keep prices high in an election year..

Before anyone laughs Labour have very good form on this. Brown increased tax rates to 50% for the last 28 days of a term of the 13 years government and signed off extortionate payments to Brussels after the election and as he left No10.

Government intervening in markets this way is in his DNA - he can't stop himself (part of the arrogance of a Labour Government knowing better than anyone else). It is similar to Labour failing to fix the economy while the sun was shining; companies need to be allowed to make profits in "good times" to allow them investment to prepare for bad times (I don't know, such as a price crash in their major commodity").

The left will never get this as the left believes it knows best. In a way you can't criticise them for this; delusion is an illness.
    Indeed... And given the wreckage that was handed over in 2010 and yes it was ( I remember one Labour wonk even calling it a golden legacy LOL) it's not been a bad effort really. Not perfect and some things I think should have been done different but it was never going to be perfect. The alternative was just unthinkable for us that do run a business.
  • Options
    Albion

"Woger, my Champagne Socialist Tampax Loving Obama Dissing friend. I don't like Cameron being criticised all the time, he has done a good job. And as one who should know, you are aware that leader ratings consistently put him clear of his rivals (not difficult I know)."

We could have competitions to see whose eulogy to our great leader got the most approval. That would regenerate the site. Perhaps You audreyanne Square Root and Flightpath could moderate........
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Someone just drew my attention to this, advert banned in France after Catholic church complained

There isn't any more free speech in French than there is the in UK, they are just less mealy mouthed about it than we are. In the UK we pretend to have freedom whilst passing idiotic laws censoring stuff, in France its clear that the republic is the most important thing.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    On topic - while OFCOM is right vis a vis the Greens, so is Cameron - he's a politician trying to get his party re-elected, so he's going to dress up narrow party advantage as 'the right thing to do'. News Flash! They all do it.

On the 'OGH keeps writing Dave is doomed' threads - as others have observed, it is his site and we are guests. Second, there is a disconnect within the polling and betting - while the direct 'who will you vote for' polls show Labour generally ahead - and given the way their votes are distributed (and those traitorous pig-dogs the Lib Dems over the boundary changes) they may well be much further ahead in seats, BUT when asked who do they think will win (and who is up to the job of PM) the Tories are ahead.......so this confusion deserves exploring in depth......the day OGH has a thread 'Dave on course for Number 10' I shall start to worry (tho not quite as much as if Roger ever writes it....)
  • Options
    Roger said:

Albion

"Woger, my Champagne Socialist Tampax Loving Obama Dissing friend. I don't like Cameron being criticised all the time, he has done a good job. And as one who should know, you are aware that leader ratings consistently put him clear of his rivals (not difficult I know)."

We could have competitions to see whose eulogy to our great leader got the most approval. That would regenerate the site. Perhaps You audreyanne Square Root and Flightpath could moderate........

You seem unable to read Wodger. I said I had better things to do. Adios
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

TGOHF said:

still a mistake ?

Indeed... And given the wreckage that was handed over in 2010 and yes it was ( I remember one Labour wonk even calling it a golden legacy LOL) it's not been a bad effort really. Not perfect and some things I think should have been done different but it was never going to be perfect. The alternative was just unthinkable for us that do run a business.
    There is a sea change in my own business (Management Consultancy). In the 2000's all my work consisted of implementing cheaper systems and simplifying business processes to reduce costs as businesses had no profit to invest and reducing order books.

Since 2010 I have worked for 2 companies (Phoenix (an Insurance company) and JLR) assisting with programmes to underpin their growth plans. I know I am only a sample of 1 but to me it demonstrates the change in business confidence under this government, also backed up by the business confidence surveys since 2010.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Albion

"No"
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Roger said:

Albion

LOL.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

On the other hand we can continue to make life awkward for business owners until they get fed up, close the UK Factory and open a new one in Malaysia. Politicians just don't get globalisation, you can't effectively lean on businesses any more, they just go somewhere else nicer.

That 30% productivity gap we have between us and Asia, or that 24% gap between us and Germany isn't going to close by putting additional costs on employers, and if we dont close that gap, all the workers rights in the world will be irrelevant, because there won't be any jobs.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

I think if that becomes a Kipper policy you might just find Mr Cameron jumping a few points in the polls, the ex-Tory party section of UKIP won't be at all happy about that sort of policy, and you can forget picking up any Tory waverers. At one time I had high hopes for UKIP, but they increasingly are looking like they are going to need a unicycle rather than a taxi.
    I think you will find that there are rather more voters on zero hours contracts having to basically to jump on the shovel every time their employer shouts sh*t at 6.30am or not be given any more work for weeks. Employment law desperately needs reform but not in the way the Tories want.

As to the public sector malaise - that is down to poor or weak management not excessive rights for workers, otherwise the same problems would exist in the private sector. And corruption in unions is not a good reason to leave employees defenceless.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Indigo said:

Alistair said:

There isn't any more free speech in French than there is the in UK, they are just less mealy mouthed about it than we are. In the UK we pretend to have freedom whilst passing idiotic laws censoring stuff, in France its clear that the republic is the most important thing.
    Offensive ads are reviewed by the ASA here and occasionally removed. So what?

The Pope did not send in a death squad to exterminate an advertising agency. The appropriate rule of law was peaceably followed.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2015
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

On the other hand we can continue to make life awkward for business owners until they get fed up, close the UK Factory and open a new one in Malaysia. Politicians just don't get globalisation, you can't effectively lean on businesses any more, they just go somewhere else nicer.

That 30% productivity gap we have between us and Asia, or that 24% gap between us and Germany isn't going to close by putting additional costs on employers, and if we dont close that gap, all the workers rights in the world will be irrelevant, because there won't be any jobs.
    The gap with asia can't be closed without us having an utterly miserable standard of life for workers, with much lower pay and health and safety standards. China are already losing market share to Vietnam as the race to the bottom continues. The only rational choice is to impose tariffs to level the playing field.

And as for Germany, they have far more restrictive employment laws and employment costs than we do and far more rights for trade unions, yet they have 24% higher productivity. Maybe because well treated secure workers are more motivated and work harder?

You don't have to be a socialist to agree with this. Another reason perhaps that UKIP are taking votes of the tories.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Indigo said:

Alistair said:

The Pope did not send in a death squad to exterminate an advertising agency. The appropriate rule of law was peaceably followed.
    What is wrong is we should stop worrying about offending people. People dont have a right not to be offended, they have a right to criticise the offender, to mock the offender, to petition the supporters of the offender to withdraw his funding, to not buy the publication, or not support the publisher. The constant obsession with not offending people has created a society with almost terminally thin skins.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

The gap with asia can't be closed without us having an utterly miserable standard of life for workers, with much lower pay and health and safety standards. China are already losing market share to Vietnam as the race to the bottom continues. The only rational choice is to impose tariffs to level the playing field.

And as for Germany, they have far more restrictive employment laws and employment costs than we do and far more rights for trade unions, yet they have 24% higher productivity. Maybe because well treated secure workers are more motivated and work harder?

You don't have to be a socialist to agree with this. Another reason perhaps that UKIP are taking votes of the tories.
    But its fantasy land, you can't impose tariffs because of WTO, and withdrawing from WTO would be economic suicide of the first order. One might add, if you plan to leave the EU, as UKIP do, the WTO is the only remaining organisation that stops you getting screwed by other countries.

If good treatment and job security made productivity, Italy would be the most productive country in Europe, if not the world, for some reason, it isn't.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    09.10 Mehdi Bouzid, an imam in the Paris suburb of Aubervilliers, said he had known Cherif Kouachi and had tried to persuade him not to go abroad to fight.
    Mr Bouzid told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Cherif was a very good guy but I lost him two or three years ago.
    "I played football with him. I spoke with him the first time he wanted to go to Iraq, to tell him it is not a solution, you don't know for whom you are fighting.
    "It's very easy in this district to tell some young people 'You will go to heaven, you will make some beautiful things', and I think Cherif fell in this trap.
    "Two weeks ago he was with my father, praying in the 19th district of Paris, and he was always with a smile.
    "I never suspected he could make this thing. When we saw the pictures I recognised the way he walks in the video, I recognised his voice."
    Mr Bouzid said that Kouachi may have been motivated by a desire for "vengeance" over suffering in Muslim countries which he blamed on the west, as well as a feeling that he did not "belong" in France.
    "I don't justify any attacks, but when you look at their past, when you don't have any identity, when you don't belong, you can take some very, very ugly act," he said.
    "When you know that something hurts me, you have to respect me, and Charlie Hebdo don't respect that.
    "When you have a Muslim name it is very difficult to find a job, to make your prayer, to wear your veil.
    "I went to Paris yesterday and I felt the eyes on me with fear and anger and hate. I feel that.
    "It's a challenge for France. They have to think about this, because we are here, I was born here, I have my family here, I dream in French, I am French.
    "I am not alarmist, but maybe in a few weeks, in a few months, we will notice that there will be some bad things in France."
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Perhaps there are a lot of 'Cameron probably cannot win' pieces because Cameron probably cannot win? I'd prefer him to Ed M honestly - though I don't fear an Ed M win - and despite their total failure in some ways I'd prefer this Coalition or maybe a coalition of some other stripe of anyone winning outright, but a perceived glut of negative predictions of Cameron or his party's prospects might just be because it's getting harder to imagine the situation turning around for his side in the time we have left. Granted, Labour are not breaking away, polling is neck and neck sometimes, but as many of these pieces have pointed out, that outcome would result in a Tory loss, and the closer we get to the date, the more that likelihood or potentiality at least will rebound onto the person best able, but perhaps failing, to prevent it, Cameron himself.
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Alistair said:

What is wrong is we should stop worrying about offending people. People dont have a right not to be offended, they have a right to criticise the offender, to mock the offender, to petition the supporters of the offender to withdraw his funding, to not buy the publication, or not support the publisher. The constant obsession with not offending people has created a society with almost terminally thin skins.
    Well said. The risk of offending someone, anyone, has become worringly obstructive in many ways.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077

The debates last time were fairly boring TV, maybe it was the format or maybe it was just 3 dorks fibbing for 2 hours but it wasn't very informative or entertaining.

The predictable "we won" claims from armies of spinners after the event just highlighted how much use they were.

This time round I can't really see me having the motivation to sit through them, there are better things to do on an evening in April.

Morning Alan. Hard to believe the saddo's on here salivating at the thought of being bored to death by a set of lying useless half witted toerags. I would enjoy having my bits trapped in a vice more for sure. Suppose it takes all sorts but very very odd.
This discussion has been closed.