Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ofcom’s decision not to classify the Greens as a “major par

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited January 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ofcom’s decision not to classify the Greens as a “major party” has wider consequences than just the debates

Guardian's @patrickwintour on Ofcom decision not to classify Greens as "major party" for GE15 http://t.co/BYOYE7Uu57 pic.twitter.com/0HRwgv9cnX

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Yup - It screws up my bet on the Greens outpolling the Lib Dems.

Curse you OFCOM
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    edited January 2015
    Sunil Prasannan @Sunil_P2 -7m
    Why don't @YouGov state in the tables the exact number of respondents in their base who say they will vote Green? Lab/Con/UKIP/LD are there.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Jonathan said:
    May as well halt the thread now as it's not going to get any better.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Farage's comments can be viewed directly here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11332680/Farage-Paris-attack-the-product-of-having-a-fifth-column-living-in-Western-countries.html

They seem very accurate and balanced to me. What is Clegg's and Cameron's problem? That Farage is pointing out these attackers probably hold French passports?
  • Options
    Everything's Gone Green - New Order

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRgHSxWnhqk
  • Options
    MikeK's link shows Bill Maher at his best:

"To be a liberal, you have to stand up for liberal principles."

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/01/07/maher-mainstream-muslims-applaud-murder-for-insulting-mohammed/
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Socrates said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11332680/Farage-Paris-attack-the-product-of-having-a-fifth-column-living-in-Western-countries.html

They seem very accurate and balanced to me. What is Clegg's and Cameron's problem? That Farage is pointing out these attackers probably hold French passports?

We could equally ask what is your problem.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    As I said on the last thread, this ruling (if confirmed) seems extremely important to the outcome, not so much because of the Greens (who I think will flatter to deceive in marginals) but because it grants major party status to UKIP. That makes a HUGE difference to the amount of coverage they will get in April/May.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Sunil Prasannan @Sunil_P2 -7m
    Why don't @YouGov state in the tables the exact number of respondents in their base who say they will vote Green? Lab/Con/UKIP/LD are there.

YouGov's data tables are the least informative of any from the major pollsters.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    FPT

Indigo said:

glw said:

Socrates said:

Those and online forums full rambunctious debate! When I checked this morning, the top post on reddit (possibly the biggest discussion forum on the internet) was a drawing of Muhammed.

That same reddit will go completely nuts if a Republican politician says something ever so mildly offensive. Post anything even remotely controversial there and it will be buried by down votes.
    Social media in the US was shown to be regularly used by around 16% of the population, with a vast preponderance to the liberal-left, its is therefore completely unrepresentative of anyone except liberal lefties. The fact that these people think it is an efficient medium for political campaigning should be a source of constant amusement to all right thinking people ;-)
    Really? Because that is where most of Rand Paul's support came from, and he is from (or just is) the libertarian right. (It does not help that we and the Americans used to use "liberal" to mean two different things, though the American use has now infected pb).
    http://www.pewinternet.org/2012/10/19/social-media-and-political-engagement/
  • Options

Socrates said:

Or even what is your problem Mike. It works all ways.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

As I said on the last thread, this ruling (if confirmed) seems extremely important to the outcome, not so much because of the Greens (who I think will flatter to deceive in marginals) but because it grants major party status to UKIP. That makes a HUGE difference to the amount of coverage they will get in April/May.

"That makes a HUGE difference to the amount of coverage they will get in April/May."

But will that increase their votes through the coverage, or put people off them when they realise they are not the solution?

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Yup - It screws up my bet on the Greens outpolling the Lib Dems.

Curse you OFCOM

What makes you so sure ? More of Clegg could further damage the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Indigo said:

FPT

Indigo said:

glw said:

Socrates said:

Those and online forums full rambunctious debate! When I checked this morning, the top post on reddit (possibly the biggest discussion forum on the internet) was a drawing of Muhammed.

That same reddit will go completely nuts if a Republican politician says something ever so mildly offensive. Post anything even remotely controversial there and it will be buried by down votes.
    Social media in the US was shown to be regularly used by around 16% of the population, with a vast preponderance to the liberal-left, its is therefore completely unrepresentative of anyone except liberal lefties. The fact that these people think it is an efficient medium for political campaigning should be a source of constant amusement to all right thinking people ;-)
    Really? Because that is where most of Rand Paul's support came from, and he is from (or just is) the libertarian right. (It does not help that we and the Americans used to use "liberal" to mean two different things, though the American use has now infected pb).
    http://www.pewinternet.org/2012/10/19/social-media-and-political-engagement/
    So at a quick glance, liberals are more likely to use it at all, but of those who do use it, conservatives are more likely to post on politics.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    Incidentally, does this mean UKIP gets to attend 2/3 debates, or all of them?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I don't see anything there that is particularly objectionable, but I wonder if Farage is actually right on this bit?

" it does make one question the whole really gross attempt at encouraged division within society that we have had in the past few decades in the name of multiculturalism."

The point being that France hasn't taken the same approach as the UK under Labour particularly did. There are no religious schools, religion and race are kept largely out of government and civil life, and religious dress in schools is banned.

Unlike in Britain or the US, where people are often asked to tick a box about ethnic origin, in France it is illegal to classify people by ethnicity or to ask census questions on race or origins. The foundation stone of the secular French republic is that all citizens should be equal and free from distinctions of class, race or religion.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/mar/23/france-race-sarkozy-ethinic-minorities

• Options
    Mr. Surbiton, the yellows have had a slight resurgence in the polls of late, but Clegg could perhaps gain sympathy or at least come across as reasonable *if* people (even one in 10) actually bother to listen to him. They may not.

The worm remains an indefensible aspect of these stupid debates, incidentally.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, those are legitimate differences, but there's also a rather more significant common factor between, say, 7/7, the Madrid bombings and the Charlie Hebdo massacre. They weren't done by angry Methodists.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Socrates said:

Oh god don't or he'll clog up the thread answering!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    I don't think Ofcom had much choice, the main argument for their inclusion is that they've averaged around 5% in the polls for a year, I don't think that is enough to consider them a major party. The Greens haven't made an impact in actual elections during this term, their vote went down in the Euros.

Being excluded from the debates could actually help them in an anti-establishment kind of way though.
  • Options
    EddieEddie Posts: 34
    Of course, this could work in the Green Party's favor.

There seems to be a word-of-mouth movement from the ground up among young people, at colleges and universities in particular, to support the Greens

Membership is increasing at around 1000 a week - compare that to any other party. Greens are aligned to the values of these supporters in a way other parties are not. They are excited by issues that the other parties do not focus on.

Being a party that is outside the bubble and excluded by the system only serves to strengthen the resolve of this growing group to take action through the ballot box.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

"That makes a HUGE difference to the amount of coverage they will get in April/May."

But will that increase their votes through the coverage, or put people off them when they realise they are not the solution?

You're kidding, right? None of the Kippers on here think that the Great British Public have the wit to understand political campaigns, see beyond headlines, or critically assess the information they are provided with.

For them, to have such a doltish populace subjected to a Kipper message virtually guarantees 50+ seats.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    " it does make one question the whole really gross attempt at encouraged division within society that we have had in the past few decades in the name of multiculturalism."

I find it incredibly stupid of the tory leaders to go after Farage one day after this atrocity. Incredibly stupid.

Even on the Guardian Owen Jones' attack on islamophobia is going down like a lead balloon.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

You're kidding, right? None of the Kippers on here think that the Great British Public have the wit to understand political campaigns, see beyond headlines, or critically assess the information they are provided with.

For them, to have such a doltish populace subjected to a Kipper message virtually guarantees 50+ seats.
    More lies from the thick Tory.

Too dumb to have an original thought of your own you blindly follow the party line right or (more often) wrong. Its no wonder your party is considered out of touch and elitist.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    In every single council by election from June 2014 onwards contested by the Greens the Green vote % fell compared to the previous time it fought the seat .
    There is NO Green surge
    The increase in support shown by some pollsters is a MYTH .
    These pollsters need to look at their methodology and discover where they are going wrong .
    It may help them stop getting egg on their faces in May .
  • Options
    This was a poor decision from OFCOM.

The Green party is a national party which has representation in Parliament and is within touching distance of one, if not two, of the parties who will now apparently be included in debates. They should have been given equal footing with UKIP and the Lib Dems as far as major/minor is concerned and been allowed into the debates in some form of graded debate system as some have proposed on here before.
  • Options

Socrates said:

In this case, it's Cameron and Clegg unduly criticising Farage, as they often do.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

In every single council by election from June 2014 onwards contested by the Greens the Green vote % fell compared to the previous time it fought the seat .
    There is NO Green surge
    These pollsters need to look at their methodology and discover where they are going wrong .

Perhaps people want to vote Green at the GE, but not in local elections?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    edited January 2015
    "Part-ELBOW" (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week) for the first five polls of 2015 - and this time we'll include the Greens! Caveats being we have to use the percentage given by YouGov to estimate the number of Green respondents, but for what it's worth:

In brackets are the simple poll averages for those who want to see how different they are:

Lab 33.7 (33.8)
    Con 32.5 (32.4)
    UKIP 14.2 (=)
    LD 7.6 (=)
    Green 6.5 (6.4)

Lab lead 1.2 (1.4)

Compared with the final ELBOW for 2014:

Lab 34.2
    Con 31.6
    UKIP 15.4
    LD 7.5

Lab lead 2.6
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    In my opinion every party that outpolls the LD's is a major party, if you think the LD's are a major party that is.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

In this case, it's Cameron and Clegg unduly criticising Farage, as they often do.
    Oh diddums , your idol needs to be protected from criticism .
  • Options
    edited January 2015

TOPPING said:

Too dumb to have an original thought of your own you blindly follow the party line right or (more often) wrong. Its no wonder your party is considered out of touch and elitist.
    In the words of the great leader:

Calm Down Dear

Coming from you, every comment about "thick Tories" or "blindly following this or that" I take as a badge of honour.

• Options
    RobD said:

There is NO Green surge

Then they would be telling all the pollsters the same thing not just 1 or 2 .
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Did you expect anything different?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Calm Down Dear

Coming from you, every comment about "thick Tories" or "blindly following this or that" I take as a badge of honour.

Given that I am recognised on here as not toeing a party line you should consider it a brand of shame. Of course you are, as I say, too thick to realise that as you have just proved.
  • Options
    The Greens should be treated as a pukka Westminster party as they have won a seat at a General Election.
  • Options

RobD said:

There is NO Green surge

I believe all pollsters show Green is now higher than it was.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Calm Down Dear

Given that I am recognised on here as not toeing a party line you should consider it a brand of shame. Of course you are, as I say, too thick to realise that as you have just proved.
    "Given that I am recognised on here..."

self-important much?
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Oh diddums , your idol needs to be protected from criticism .
    Pointing out that Clegg and Cameron are talking bollocks - and doing so by posting to the article itself so that everyone can see it - hardly seems to be 'protecting from criticism'.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Kim Jong-Un???
  • Options
    One thing is almost certain though, no debates unless the other 3 leaders choose the tub of lard strategy in place of Cameron.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Calm Down Dear

self-important much?
    Nope, just noting the comments that are made and the fact that I attack Farage more than any Tory ever attacks Cameron or Lib Dem attacks Clegg. You are a perfect case in point. And the more you post on this the more ridiculous you appear.
  • Options

Its the timing though. One day after this atrocity our leaders think the big problem is Nigel Farage. Or in Owen Jones' case 'Islamophobia'.

Its very stupid politics in my view.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Calm Down Dear

self-important much?
    Nope, just noting the comments that are made and the fact that I attack Farage more than any Tory ever attacks Cameron or Lib Dem attacks Clegg. You are a perfect case in point. And the more you post on this the more ridiculous you appear.
    I pointed out the self-evident truth that a Kipper who wanted a referendum should vote Cons to get one. Then you went off at the deep end "thick" this, "blindly follow" that, which to me bespeaks an uncertainty of your own position.

• Options
    "Fifth Column" is a dangerously loaded phrase to throw around -- does Farage propose internment, or HUAC-style kangaroo courts?

It seems only a couple of months ago there were worryingly large numbers of people (in both the US and UK) prepared to support mass internment of people simply because they *might* have been exposed to Ebola -- remember what a threat Ebola supposedly was to the West? (And I work in a hospital, so consider my comments neither flippant nor uninformed.) Meanwhile, the less said about the polling which shows support for torture, the better...

Violence and extremism alarm me, but the fragility of mankind's liberal instinct does so no less.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MartinBelam: .@Nigel_Farage. 100% committed defender of the right to make satire http://t.co/0ZPpEcKSdp http://t.co/q1Sx9dpmDk
  • Options
    Socrates said:

What did Cameron say? That article refers to Clegg's comments only, as far as I can see.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    edited January 2015
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Calm Down Dear

self-important much?
    I pointed out the self-evident truth that a Kipper who wanted a referendum should vote Cons to get one. Then you went off at the deep end "thick" this, "blindly follow" that, which to me bespeaks an uncertainty of your own position.

This is Morton's Fork for the PB Tories.

OTOH, you want right wing eurosceptics to vote Conservative to keep out Milliband. On the other hand, you want us not to vote Conservative so that you can "detoxify" the party.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    taffys said:

Its the timing though. One day after this atrocity our leaders think the big problem is Nigel Farage. Or in Owen Jones' case 'Islamophobia'.

Worth pointing out that the atrocity is still going on. One policewoman was murdered this morning and the perpetrators are still at large.

And on such a day Jones thinks we should be worrying about having an irrational fear of being murdered by Islamic terrorists. The man's a cretin.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@MartinBelam: .@Nigel_Farage. 100% committed defender of the right to make satire http://t.co/0ZPpEcKSdp http://t.co/q1Sx9dpmDk

That's pretty feeble, TBH. Farage didn't say the game should be banned, he said it was silly. Which is fair enough.
  • Options

"Fifth Column" is a dangerously loaded phrase to throw around -- does Farage propose internment, or HUAC-style kangaroo courts?

It seems only a couple of months ago there were worryingly large numbers of people (in both the US and UK) prepared to support mass internment of people simply because they *might* have been exposed to Ebola -- remember what a threat Ebola supposedly was to the West? (And I work in a hospital, so consider my comments neither flippant nor uninformed.) Meanwhile, the less said about the polling which shows support for torture, the better...

Violence and extremism alarm me, but the fragility of mankind's liberal instinct does so no less.

What term would you use to describe Jihadists?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT:

surbiton said:
    » show previous quotes

You could add that until about a hundred years ago, it was so in this country too ! After all, what are blasphemy laws ?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Yes we are quite mad to import people from a totally alien culture, and in numbers to swamp the indigenous culture in many places. We can blame Labour and Tory equally for this. But you are quite wrong, surbiton and RodCrosby, no one in the West pisses on Islam in the manner that Islam pisses on ALL other religions and none. Don't be Dhimmies please.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Who knows? But if most of us would much rather get coverage than no coverage. I'd think it was a necessary but not sufficient condition for UKIP to do well.

Yesterday's YG is now up (was delayed for some reason. Unremarkable except for a low SNP score: 34%, lead of 6). Subsample, meh.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/01/08/labour-lead-1/
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

And on such a day Jones thinks we should be worrying about having an irrational fear of being murdered by Islamic terrorists. The man's a cretin.

Indeed.
  • Options

Monster Raving Loony retweeted
    LBC ‏@LBC · 9m9 minutes ago
    Nick Clegg gets angry with a caller who made excuses for the #CharlieHebdo attack. Watch here: http://l-bc.co/B2RP6V

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Milli joining the Farage condemnation.

Jeez. They just don;t get it, do they??? they don ;t have the first inkling of what drives UKIP and why people vote for it. The motto carved upon its foundation stone

Liblabcon. They are all the same.
  • Options

Fifth Column seems to me to be an accurate way of describing people who - as we have seen from the videos made by some of those who have gone to Syria - explicitly reject Western values, intend learning how to fight and to come back to the West to attack us.

How we deal with such a threat needs to be thought out sensibly and intelligently. But that it needs dealing with is - or should be - uncontroversial.

The fact that mainstream politicians do not like it being pointed out to them that their policies may, in part, be responsible for the problem we are now facing, a problem which puts ordinary members of the public rather more at risk than politicians, frankly, is their problem.

Shooting the messenger is, given the events of these days, a darkly ironic avoidance of the issue.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Farage makes it up as he goes along - you can do that when you are in a 1 man party.

There wont be any debates with all the party leaders in them - may well be sequential interviews on same show - not sure you would learn any less from them than last time.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yep the normal Tory line which confuses (purposefully) the offer of a referendum with the reality of leaving the EU. We want to leave the EU which means we want a referendum that has a chance of being won. The best way to achieve this is to make sure that Cameron is not leading the Tory party when the referendum occurs.

As an aside I have already pointed out that it is Cameron's obvious dishonesty about the renegotiation that leads us inevitably to this position and that, in leaving insufficient time for him to conclude meaningful and enforceable repatriation of powers he has made it clear that he is only playing lip service to the whole EU debate. Something of course that has already been confirmed by the comments to the 1922 committee.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Milli joining the Farage condemnation.

Jeez. They just don;t get it, do they??? they don ;t have the first inkling of what drives UKIP and why people vote for it. The motto carved upon its foundation stone

Liblabcon. They are all the same.

If the 7/7 bombings were repeated, their instinctive response would be to criticise Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As ril/May.

jected to a Kipper message virtually guarantees 50+ seats.

party is considered out of touch and elitist.

Calm Down Dear

Given that I am recognised on here ae, as I say, too thick to realise that as you have just proved.

self-important much?

OTOH, you want right wing eurosceptics to vote Conservative to keep out Milliband. On the other hand, you want us not to vote Conservative so that you can "detoxify" the party.
    huh?

If I can reach into the quagmire of your post to draw out its meaning - I want right-wing eurosceptics to vote in the way that maximises their utility. As must we all, you must choose the least bad option.

If you are a right wing eurosceptic then the Kippers probably most closely reflect your views. But (dilemma!) voting UKIP won't get you out of Europe. For about 30 years let's say. Or very very possibly earlier given a possible path of: Cons lose, Cam out, Paterson (say) in, Cons win in 2020, referendum with active OUT campaigning)

What to do!??

I know - why don't you vote Cons which does a couple of things: gives you a chance to register your euroscepticism and keeps Milliband out.

I don't care what you do with your vote - that is up to you. It is not a Morton's Fork because a Cons govt will give you something you say you want.

But the way you are all going off at the thought of getting what you want makes me wonder (as another poster pointed out earlier) if you actually really want it.

You Kippers, eh! Can't take yes for an answer.
  • Options
    Somebody has just let Sayeeda Warsi off the leash. She has just dubbed Farage 'dangerously divisive'
  • Options
    If the 7/7 bombings were repeated, their instinctive response would be to criticise Nigel Farage.

UKIP at 20 by the end by end of next week??
  • Options
    Indeed, Miss Cyclefree.

Fifth column is a perfectly accurate term. We have home-grown terrorism, almost all of which is based around Islamic extremism.

The journalists and policemen weren't killed by Islamophobes. Unless the mainstream of politics reflects justified concern about extremists rather than castigating those who express such worry as racists and bigots then the situation will only get worse.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Somebody has just let Sayeeda Warsi off the leash. She has just dubbed Farage 'dangerously divisive'

She's a cretin, too.

• Options
    Mr. Taffys, that's the same mad woman who raised concerns over militant atheism.

Ahem.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    edited January 2015
    Hats off to the Daily Mail. (Words I thought I would never write.)

They have produce this beautiful montage of cartoon responses to yesterday's outrage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901459/jesuisCharlie-world-s-cartoonists-react-Paris-massacre-poignant-drawings.html

Nice to see Marf (of this parish) included.
  • Options

@ChrisHargrave3 meet the croc and her food pic.twitter.com/PVxRPWSUeW

— David Sterling (@maturefinancier) January 8, 2015
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Good afternoon.

It's difficult to believe the gunmen still haven't been apprehended despite robbing a service station.
  • Options
    Ahem.

Warsi entitled to her opinion. I'm just wondering if letting her express it to the multitudes who are considering UKIP/tory in may is altogether wise.
  • Options
    "What term would you use to describe Jihadists?"

Terrorists. And Western states have sufficient strength and powers to tackle terrorism without resorting to phrases -- see also: 'Islamofascism' -- which seek to scaremongeringly liken our position to that of Britain in 1940.

"I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive Al-Qaeda." -- Lord Hoffmann, 2004
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

There is NO Green surge

No most pollsters are showing Greens at 4/5 %
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yep the normal Tory line which confuses (purposefully) the offer of a referendum with the reality of leaving the EU. We want to leave the EU which means we want a referendum that has a chance of being won. The best way to achieve this is to make sure that Cameron is not leading the Tory party when the referendum occurs.

As an aside I have already pointed out that it is Cameron's obvious dishonesty about the renegotiation that leads us inevitably to this position and that, in leaving insufficient time for him to conclude meaningful and enforceable repatriation of powers he has made it clear that he is only playing lip service to the whole EU debate. Something of course that has already been confirmed by the comments to the 1922 committee.
    Ah - you seem to have your debating rather than your angry head back on.

Yes, as remarked to @Sean_F above, hold on I'll even quote myself:

A position seeking: "a possible path of: Cons lose, Cam out, Paterson (say) in, Cons win in 2020, referendum with active OUT campaigning"

is understandable.

But it is complicated and high-risk and the chances of it all playing out (when the Cons have been moving soft-and-cuddlywards for years) are very low. Plus it doesn't alter my basic thrust of this morning:

You believe that an incumbent govt campaigning for or against a position (in this case the EU) will sway the voting public because that voting public is not sophisticated enough to understand the issues and will vote according to what it is told by the party it supports.

Which is IMO arrogant and patronising. Analogous to much of the argument of the left in fact.

You are saying that if given a referendum tomorrow you would lose because the public wouldn't have been told to vote OUT. Whereas if there was a referendum tomorrow the public would vote IN.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Cheers for the link PtP - some very clever and powerful cartoons there.
  • Options

"What term would you use to describe Jihadists?"

Terrorists. And Western states have sufficient strength and powers to tackle terrorism without resorting to phrases -- see also: 'Islamofascism' -- which seek to scaremongeringly liken our position to that of Britain in 1940.

"I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive Al-Qaeda." -- Lord Hoffmann, 2004

They have sufficient strength and power, but whether they have the will is another matter.
  • Options
    http://www.ukip.org/video_nigel_farage_on_paris_terror_attacks

Nigel speaks sense, but where's the booze?
  • Options
    Sorry to interrupt - just thought you'd be interested to see this round-up by the Daily Mail of cartoons from around the world today (and they included my drawing from yesterday afternoon for PB). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901459/jesuisCharlie-world-s-cartoonists-react-Paris-massacre-poignant-drawings.html
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

There is NO Green surge

Average of this week's polls 6.4%
  • Options
    Miss Cartoonist, you're too slow, Mr. Punter already beat you to it ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,628
    Scott_P said:

Yes because Nigel Farage and some armed UKIP terrorists went into the office of that game maker and shot them all. Oh wait...
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi Yes, it is bizarre for Farage to extend his comments on to multi-culturalism over this particular atrocity. France has always been pretty hot on separation of church and state and a unified culture of the French Republic. You could tell in Hollande's speech where practically the first thing he said was: "Nobody in France should think that they can behave against the principle of the Republic and harm the spirit of the Republic".

That's not to say that here the tolerance of extreme religious views isn't a problem. In my view it stems from the fact that we've never been as hot on our ability to criticise religion as we'd like to think. After all the blasphemy law was only formally repealed in 2008, with a conviction under it occurring as recently as 1977. As such we've always rather pandered to the religious desire to be devoid of criticism and that has left the left and right talking past each other. The error on the left, was rather than demand that we become more secular in our laws, demanded the same extended rights, entrenchment and freedom from criticism for other beliefs as the right often demanded (and still does on occasion) for Christianity - seeing those who'd deny them as doing so (correctly in many cases) for reasons of prejudice. Then when unpleasant groups promote more virulent strains they hide behind the privilege of religious belief.

If there's any hope from the Charlie Hebdo tragedy it's that perhaps it might unite those on both left and right who see liberty in the way of that celebrated Voltaire quote to say enough's enough, rather than leaving the arguments to those who spend their time whipping up one group of people against one another.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,648
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Calm Down Dear

self-important much?

One can't escape the impression that Cameron feels he is entitled to our votes for his opinions.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Anyone who thinks 3-4 seats at 7/1 Ukip is a good bet I went into a hills shop and they took £30 no questions asked so getting on shouldn't be a problem

Job done @pulpstar
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

There is NO Green surge

What were they showing a year ago, two years ago? Not 4/5%.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

There is NO Green surge

And how many of those polls are Yougov ? Your survey as I have pointed out before is basically a Yougov survey with the odd other poll included
  • Options
    Marf's just emailed me to say her cartoon from yesterday ended up in the Daily Mail montage of cartoon's from around the world

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901459/jesuisCharlie-world-s-cartoonists-react-Paris-massacre-poignant-drawings.html
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    An extremely naive article about ISIS in the Guardian by Michael White:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/19/isis-islamic-state-threat-short-lived
  • Options
    taffys said:

She seems horribly conflicted between defending freedom and democracy vs defending Islam - and she's made her choice. No way back for her now really. If stating the bleeding obvious is 'dangerously divisive' then we all need a fairly large increased amount of dangerous division thrust our way. Spades are spades. And pigs are pigs no matter how much lipstick you may wish to draw on their lips.
  • Options
    If there's any hope from the Charlie Hebdo tragedy it's that perhaps it might unite those on both left and right who see liberty in the way of that celebrated Voltaire quote to say enough's enough,

Given that those in power are spending the day after this atrocity trying to silence a politician millions voted for, I don;t hold out much hope.
  • Options

The 'finger' is perhaps the strongest image, but 'he drew first' combined wit with cutting comment.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Calm Down Dear

self-important much?

One can't escape the impression that Cameron feels he is entitled to our votes for his opinions.
    Yep. Can you believe it from a politician?

Wouldn't you be more concerned if he didn't feel that way?

(although Cam is IMO far from a conviction politician)

(Edit: oh god - were you being sarcastic in which case it was v funny and made the point I then tried to make...so confusing on PB...)
  • Options

Marf's just emailed me to say her cartoon from yesterday ended up in the Daily Mail montage of cartoon's from around the world

Slow, TSE!

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

There is NO Green surge

And how many of those polls are Yougov ? Your survey as I have pointed out before is basically a Yougov survey with the odd other poll included
    That was the simple average figure I quoted. (ELBOW gives 6.5)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited January 2015

Slow, TSE!

Story of my life, but in case anyone missed it.
  • Options

The 'finger' is perhaps the strongest image, but 'he drew first' combined wit with cutting comment.
    The cartoons are very good indeed and kudos to the Daily Mail for pulling them together.

The plane flying into 2 pencils is very powerful, as is the one of the beheaded figure sticking its tongue out at the executioner.

• Options
    We have a fool for Foreign Sec.,
    http://rt.com/uk/220895-hammond-speech-shooting-paris/

"Paris shooting ‘product of West’s conflict with ISIS’" – Foreign Sec Hammond
  • Options
    taffys said:

If there's any hope from the Charlie Hebdo tragedy it's that perhaps it might unite those on both left and right who see liberty in the way of that celebrated Voltaire quote to say enough's enough,

Given that those in power are spending the day after this atrocity trying to silence a politician millions voted for, I don;t hold out much hope.

Except that quote wasn't actually Voltaire's!

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    -Though these words are regularly attributed to Voltaire, they were first used by Evelyn Beatrice Hall, writing under the pseudonym of Stephen G Tallentyre in The Friends of Voltaire (1906), as a summation of Voltaire's beliefs on freedom of thought and expression.[12]

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Voltaire
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,648
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

As ril/May.

Calm Down Dear

Given that I am recognised on here ae, as I say, too thick to realise that as you have just proved.

self-important much?

huh?

If I can reach into the quagmire of your post to draw out its meaning - I want right-wing eurosceptics to vote in the way that maximises their utility. As must we all, you must choose the least bad option.

If you are a right wing eurosceptic then the Kippers probably most closely reflect your views. But (dilemma!) voting UKIP won't get you out of Europe. For about 30 years let's say. Or very very possibly earlier given a possible path of: Cons lose, Cam out, Paterson (say) in, Cons win in 2020, referendum with active OUT campaigning)

What to do!??

I know - why don't you vote Cons which does a couple of things: gives you a chance to register your euroscepticism and keeps Milliband out.

I don't care what you do with your vote - that is up to you. It is not a Morton's Fork because a Cons govt will give you something you say you want.

But the way you are all going off at the thought of getting what you want makes me wonder (as another poster pointed out earlier) if you actually really want it.

You Kippers, eh! Can't take yes for an answer.
    It sounds like you very much care what we do with our vote.

Voting Conservative won't get us out of Europe either. My position is clear: I will vote for the BOO candidate who is most likely to win, or least objectionable, as my MP. Sometimes that will be Conservative, other times UKIP.

This battle can only be won through the elected representatives we return to the Commons.
This discussion has been closed.