Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raising the expectations game

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited January 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raising the expectations game

The cost of living crisis: five words that are likely to be repeated by Labour and the unions for another four months at least; yesterday’s rail fare increases being just the latest opportunity. For the opposition, it’s an easy hit and an easy narrative: the cost of x is rising faster than wages therefore people are getting worse off therefore the government is a failure.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Welcome back David and the very best wishes to you and your wife
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Welcome back David. Very best wishes to you both.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Same again, David. Welcome back ! Despite your difficulties, hopefully you and your family had a good Christmas and New Year.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    David, best wishes to you and your wife, and good to see you writing again.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Best wishes to the wife for a speedy and full recovery
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Welcome back David, and all the best to you and your wife. I am sure there are plenty of people on here who would help, so don't hesitate to ask if there is anything you need.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    Best wishes to your wife and you, David!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Nice to see you back David. Best wishes to you and your wife.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited January 2015
    David, I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. That must have been awful for her and you. Thank goodness she is okay and set to recover. Wishing you all the best.

Politics seems irrelevant after that, but as you've so generously posted a thread … I thought the so-called cost of living crisis was pretty much now over anyway?
    http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/2014/12/03/the-end-of-the-cost-of-living-crisis/

You mention rail fares but fuel at the pumps is much more vital as, indeed, are things like the new slide in the euro making holidays cheaper.

I don't think the Tories will let this one just dribble on. When a General Election campaign reaches the final lap you have to be very careful about assuming that merely repeating something makes it somehow true, or meme-changing. If the facts are wrong it can do greater damage.
  • Options
    Best wishes to you both David.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Welcome back - sorry to hear of your sad news and hope Mrs Herdson makes a full recovery.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited January 2015
    David

I hope your wife's recovery continues as it seems to be doing. It sounds very disturbing.

'Cost of living crisis-what crisis?' is not a smart retort from a political party particularly the Tories who are not noted for their compassion.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077
    Best wishes, and I hope the recovery continues apace. Sounds like a very frightening incident.
  • Options
    The fact that income rises are NOW generally seeming to be around or indeed slightly above inflation doesn’t alter the fact that people remember the several recent years of stable, or even falling, incomes but rising prices.
    A public sector worker, for example has not only suffered a decrease in their standard of living, but seen colleagues hived off into lower-paying contractors and been told it was “all their fault”. If you’re on £25-30k pa, that’s a bit hard to take!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Herders - I'm very pleased to hear Mrs Herders is on the mend and I'm sure she'll keep you on the straight and narrow very shortly.

Best wishes to you both.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Politics seems irrelevant after that, but as you've so generously posted a thread … I thought the so-called cost of living crisis was pretty much now over anyway?

You mention rail fares but fuel at the pumps is much more vital as, indeed, are things like the new slide in the euro making holidays cheaper.

I don't think the Tories will let this one just dribble on. When a General Election campaign reaches the final lap you have to be very careful about assuming that merely repeating something makes it somehow true, or meme-changing. If the facts are wrong it can do greater damage.

You are right about fuel and holidays (and imports in general) and in that respect, Osborne has been a lucky Chancellor. Pb has had threads on the psephological importance of petrol prices.

On facts being wrong -- well, the problem for both parties is that different voters will have different facts. Drivers will see lower fuel prices but rail commuters face higher train fares. There are more people in jobs but some are in fake self-employment, and so on. It is voters' personal economic circumstances that matter, and different voters will see either Osborne or Balls as being wrong and, probably worse, out of touch.
  • Options
    Tories believe in a smaller state. They should have the confidence to say so. It is not credible to deny cuts are ideologically driven when voters understand that the Tories believe the government should spend (and tax) as little as possible. If, as is so often claimed on here, England is a country that dresses to the right, the Tories should not be allowing Labour to dictate the terms of the debate.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

You are right about fuel and holidays (and imports in general) and in that respect, Osborne has been a lucky Chancellor. Pb has had threads on the psephological importance of petrol prices.

On facts being wrong -- well, the problem for both parties is that different voters will have different facts. Drivers will see lower fuel prices but rail commuters face higher train fares. There are more people in jobs but some are in fake self-employment, and so on. It is voters' personal economic circumstances that matter, and different voters will see either Osborne or Balls as being wrong and, probably worse, out of touch.
    Included in “personal economic circumstances” of course are those of one’s family and their friends. For example, far too many of my adult grandchildren’s friends, having wanted to be teachers, are becoming disenchanted after a couple of years and leaving. They like teaching, as teaching, they want to do a good job but they have become frustrated with increasing paperwork, frequent changes of policy and what appears to be a hyper-critical attitude generally.
    Consequently Gove especially is a hate figure, as are those who appointed him.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited January 2015

The fact that income rises are NOW generally seeming to be around or indeed slightly above inflation doesn’t alter the fact that people remember the several recent years of stable, or even falling, incomes but rising prices.
    A public sector worker, for example has not only suffered a decrease in their standard of living, but seen colleagues hived off into lower-paying contractors and been told it was “all their fault”. If you’re on £25-30k pa, that’s a bit hard to take!

Yes, there has been a decline in living standards. It's a fact that isn't going away, but the credit bubble of the last decade caused them to rise faster than could be sustained, therefore a correction occurs.

I'd like to think that the electorate wold be smart enough to accept this and not fall for Labour just shouting "rich thieving toffs!!" repeatedly but given the electoral geography, the divided right and the lack of anything else to say, you can understand why Labour think it's worth a shot
  • Options
    Conservative election campaign started with the dubious deficit halving statement and today its threatening public sector workers with cutting redundancy pay to under £100k. Threats on redundancy pay will not just affect the top end of civil servants but will also worry millions of lower paid workers (same as rich taxes). Looks like another own goal. I hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good morning, everyone.

Sad to hear of your wife's accident, Mr. Herdson, but glad she'll likely make a full recovery.

Saw the Conservative poster yesterday. Tedious image, slogan too long and forgettable. Not downright awful (Miliband making Cameron look like Gene Hunt would be an example of that), but pretty worthless.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Conservative election campaign started with the dubious deficit halving statement and today its threatening public sector workers with cutting redundancy pay to under £100k. Threats on redundancy pay will not just affect the top end of civil servants but will also worry millions of lower paid workers (same as rich taxes). Looks like another own goal. I hope I am wrong.

cheer up Osbornomics has kicked off again with pointless consumer debt.We can all feel better now.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jan/03/new-consumer-debt-reaches-7-year-high
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    edited January 2015
    Sorry to hear about your wife's accident, David, and good to learn that she is on the mend. It must have been a worrying time for both of you.

How does the cost of living crisis end? Deflation, improved productivity or reduced competitiveness?
  • Options
    Mr. Verulamius, I think we need to plant more magic money trees. And make nice cuts, not nasty ones.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I hope Mrs Herdson continues her recovery.These events are a big shock to the system and take time to heal-matters of family far more important than the exercise of base gambling amongst delinquents,social deviants and Ukip supporters,an underclass so low even the bottomless pit do not describe them.
    To Pb Tories it's all above their head anyway
  • Options
    F1: Hamilton still over 1.8 and Rosberg still around 4.4 on Betfair, for the 2015 title.

I'd advocate backing both, with stakes such as to be green either way.

William will seemingly lose up to 60bhp due to changing fuel/lubricants [I was surprised by that, but Mr. Max knows his beans], I don't think Red Bull will have the power to consistently challenge and McLaren has both a new engine and the need for better aerodynamics.

Not impossible someone else could win, of course, but I'd be surprised.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited January 2015
    Thank you David and every good wish for your wife's speedy recovery. That sort of thing reminds us all how fragile life is, and how much we need to enjoy it while we've got it.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    David tough times to cope with an accident of a loved one, physically and emotionally for both of you. Delighted to read a full recovery is expected, best wishes to you both.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sorry to hear about your wife's accident, David, and good to learn that she is on the mend. It must have been a worrying time for both of you.

How does the cost of living crisis end? Deflation, improved productivity or reduced competitiveness?

Your question is the killer. What is the answer to the "Cost of Living Crisis" if the deficit is to be brought under control?

At new year I was at a family party with some cousins. One works for a council, will have a 25% chance of redundancy this spring, and it is hard to see how his department can continue to function with such reduced staff. The crisis is very real for him and his young family.

Best wishes to Mrs DH.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

I hope Mrs Herdson continues her recovery.These events are a big shock to the system and take time to heal-matters of family far more important than the exercise of base gambling amongst delinquents,social deviants and Ukip supporters,an underclass so low even the bottomless pit do not describe them.
    To Pb Tories it's all above their head anyway

Nasty cheap shot! You are Tim and I demand my £5
  • Options
    On topic, I'm not sure that any party has really got to grips with the impact of globalisation. Before the lowering of trade barrirers, we had quite distinct economies in the West and elsewhere, with incomes in the West a gigantic stride ahewa of everywhere else. After opening up, it became evident to companies that mass production could be done more cheaply elsewhere and that's been followed by jobs requiring more educatuon or training. Any implicit assumption that countries like China and India were basically only capable of mass assembly is long gone.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing at all. The global effect is that global productivity has risen by leaps and bounds, and some developing countries have done remarkably well. Moreover, our cost of living has been kept down by cheaper manufacturing. But the corollary to this process is that either (1) British-based firms need to move up the value scale to replace the losses of low-value production or (2) immigration at low wages will help firms stay in Britain and still compete or (3) real wages will decline. (1) hasn't happened to a sufficient degree, so we're seeing (2) and risk seeing (3) unless policies change. Britain needs a strategy to move up market or we are actually just seeing the start of a cost of living criss.

We saw a concrete discussion of this here recently over East Anglian farming. Socrates pointed out that it wasn't the only option to produce fruit at very cheap prices, requiring cheap labour (whether British or foreign); surely, I think he argued, we should be trying to move up market to more valuable production and buy our fruit from abroad (apologies if I'm mis-stating his argument). He may well be right. But the mechanism by which East Anglian farmers and their workers give up farming and move up to producing something higher-tech is not at all clear, and if it happened (through the development of a giant pharmaceutical business in Norfolk, say) it's quite likely that there would be a lot of losers from the process who would need help.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    Hi David, sorry to hear of your wife's accident. All the best for a speedy recovery

The Tories would be insane to try and say 'some people are doing ok despite others feeling a cost if living crisis' as that is the point Labour and Ukip are straining every sinew to make
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,152
    David, every best wish to the pair of you. It's times like this you realise what is truly important in life.

On topic, running an economy with sustainable growth is bloody hard work. Labour just conveniently drops the "sustainable" bit, knowing the price is that they will be out of power for a while until others clean up their mess. Then back to their old crazy-money ways. Repeat ad nauseam. And the people who get their lives churned up in this economic turmoil? Invariably those who Labour claim to stand up for - the poorest in society.

• Options
    Thinking of you both David. Take care. Henry.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452

From what I know of those in the public sector, it's not so much the being hived off that worries them, as that doesn't affect a huge proportion of the Civil Service (or hasn't done yet, anyway). What is seriously annoying them is the difficulty in getting moved up pay grades when their responsibility level increases. At the moment, there is a definite tendency to ask people to 'temporarily' take on extra work (and as it's temporary and unofficial, without extra pay) and then 'forgetting' to either make the adjustment permanent and change pay in commensurate fashion, or even more cheekily changing the responsibility level down one so you end up doing what was (say) Grade 7 work on a Grade 6 pay.

And of course, that affects the good civil servants - the ones who want to do a good job, and take a pride in it, of which there are some left - but not the bad ones, who just make themselves unpleasant, or refuse to do necessary work because they are too bone idle to do what they are doing anyway. So we have the weird, inverted situation where bad officials are more or less forcibly promoted and good ones are held back by their own integrity.

Hence the expression which I am hearing a lot at the moment: Scum floats to the top.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning David, glad to have you back. Jenny seemed fairly bright when she was laughing at my comments on Facebook the day after you got her home.

Blocking large pay-offs to public sector fat cats (who invariably are BIG Labour supporters) will probably prove popular not only with people in the private sector who believe the public sector needs cut down to size but also low paid council workers who see few top chiefs getting axed when at the grass roots they are seeing jobs and budgets go.

Tories should be proud to argue about rolling back the size of the public sector. It is far too large. In the private sector, most people who lose their jobs get Statutory Redundancy. Public sector organisations should be forced to justify to the electorate why they and their employees should get 'gold plated' pay-offs at taxpayers' expense. Frankly I think the school dinner ladies and cleaners deserve enhanced pay-offs far more than the functionaries sitting in town hall offices.
  • Options

At new year I was at a family party with some cousins. One works for a council, will have a 25% chance of redundancy this spring, and it is hard to see how his department can continue to function with such reduced staff. The crisis is very real for him and his young family.

I don't know of course what your cousin does, or for which council. And I wouldn't wish redundancy and unemployment on anybody. However, I have seen far too many council departments in education run with about five people that could perfectly well be run by two people who would still work rather less hard than I do. I must admit, that always annoyed me. Not only did it seem extraordinarily stupid and wasteful, both of money and of human capital, but several of them earned more money for less work than I did. Yet somehow, they were convinced that they were overworked and underpaid.

One of the things about the decline in LEAs is that many of them have ended up grossly over-staffed: similarly with several equality and diversity departments, most of whose key functions are now embedded elsewhere. Yet there has been a real reluctance to reduce the overmanning, even by natural wastage. So while I am sorry for people who lose their jobs, I have to say that this is a situation I think needs sorting out.

(Before anyone asks why I didn't move across - for some reason ex-teachers were not welcome on LEA staff. My guess would be that they had an annoying habit of doing too much work...although I may be being cynical.)
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited January 2015
    Best wishes to your wife Mr Herdson and wish her a speedy recovery....

What battle over the economy?

Labour have lost. They have lost every single economic argument over the entire course of this coalition government. Despite desperately " talking Britain down" at every opportunity none of it happened, in fact the direct opposite occurred. Balls is an utter madman and about to be given the keys to the economic sweetshop.

Labour, the party that created this unholy mess in the first place deserve to go down to a defeat the likes of which re rarely seen. No it was not the banks they applied the coup de Grace. Labours economy was in trouble in 2003 with warnings coming in, by 2005 international warnings wer coming in about the Labour party's direction. The Labour Party greeted with relief the financial crash of 2008 the seeds of which they sowed themselves. They could then blame all their mistakes on a single entity. Blair was a lucky general and it was stunning timing to hand over the utter clusterfuck to Brown at the point the socialist fues finally ran out.

Labours defeat though With the built in bias and postal voting that regrettably is unlikely to happen and over the next 5 years we will repeat the same left wing ideology that always brings us to the brink of catastrophe every time. This time I am sure Miliband will achieve what other Labour governments have only just failed. Think France and Greece combined. The total destruction of this country once and for all.
  • Options
    Mr. Moses, I do wish you'd get off the fence and say what you really mean.

[On the plus side, I shall be casting my vote to try and defeat the irksome Balls].
  • Options

On topic, I'm not sure that any party has really got to grips with the impact of globalisation. Before the lowering of trade barrirers, we had quite distinct economies in the West and elsewhere, with incomes in the West a gigantic stride ahewa of everywhere else. After opening up, it became evident to companies that mass production could be done more cheaply elsewhere and that's been followed by jobs requiring more educatuon or training. Any implicit assumption that countries like China and India were basically only capable of mass assembly is long gone.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing at all. The global effect is that global productivity has risen by leaps and bounds, and some developing countries have done remarkably well. Moreover, our cost of living has been kept down by cheaper manufacturing. But the corollary to this process is that either (1) British-based firms need to move up the value scale to replace the losses of low-value production or (2) immigration at low wages will help firms stay in Britain and still compete or (3) real wages will decline. (1) hasn't happened to a sufficient degree, so we're seeing (2) and risk seeing (3) unless policies change. Britain needs a strategy to move up market or we are actually just seeing the start of a cost of living criss.

Thank you NPXMP, that's very interesting.

With regard to buying in from abroad and keeping the cost of living down, yes that's true to an extent. However, the flip side of that is that unless we are making enough money from selling things to those economies we are buying from to cover the cost of those imports, we are in effect spending accumulated capital (and not replacing it). That will, of course, leave us poorer in the long run. In fact, it has been a constant theme of the writings of John Redwood for some years that many British businesses are being sold to foreign owners largely because our balance of payments is so far out - he sees it as a form of capital transfer.

However, one thought does occur to me - you've identified the problem, but what's the solution? And that, I fear, could be a metaphor for all our political parties at the moment, and possibly has been since the time of Thatcher.
  • Options
    Off-comment:

No bites: All bets are open. Closing date; 31/01/2015. (See 01/01/2015 Archives for details).

:this-is-not-a-social-club-but-a-bear-pit:
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438

Your question is the killer. What is the answer to the "Cost of Living Crisis" if the deficit is to be brought under control?

Best wishes to Mrs DH.
    I agree that the crisis is very real at the personal level for some (most?) families. But to sort out the problem you need macro economic solutions rather than micro.

I think that due to the reduction in oil price we are due to get a short burst of deflation. I have no idea whether this will cause improved corporate profits, higher wages and inflation in the future, or the start of Japan style decades of lost growth.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

Off-comment:

No bites: All bets are open. Closing date; 31/01/2015. (See 01/01/2015 Archives for details).

Ha Ha Ha
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

But the corollary to this process is that either (1) British-based firms need to move up the value scale to replace the losses of low-value production or (2) immigration at low wages will help firms stay in Britain and still compete or (3) real wages will decline. (1) hasn't happened to a sufficient degree, so we're seeing (2) and risk seeing (3) unless policies change. Britain needs a strategy to move up market or we are actually just seeing the start of a cost of living criss.

(2) doesn't really solve the problem, its a band-aid at best. Immigrants that come to the UK might be a bit cheaper (and a lot more willing to work) than the locals, but in the global scheme of things its neither here nor there, the labour costs in Eastern Europe, never mind Asia are so much lower than the UK, and buy and large have to pay so much less tax on their income than in the UK, its always going to be cheaper to produce elsewhere. UK workers are 30% less productive than Asia. In the last recorded year (2013) China increased its productivity by 9% compared to the UK's 2%. We either need to pay ourselves a lot less, or produce a lot more for the same cost.

He may well be right. But the mechanism by which East Anglian farmers and their workers give up farming and move up to producing something higher-tech is not at all clear, and if it happened (through the development of a giant pharmaceutical business in Norfolk, say) it's quite likely that there would be a lot of losers from the process who would need help.

Even then. You can't take farmer workers that left high school with a few GCSEs and expect them to be employed in a new pharmaceutical business in more than small numbers. We have a huge problem that we cost too much, and we dont have enough of a technology or productivity benefit to be worth it. The number of jobs be created for low skills, non-academic members of the population (ie. the majority) is going to remain poor because they cost too much and its easier to export the job.

One of three things will happen.
    1) Our living standards will drop about 30% until its competitive to do the work here compared to Asia
    2) There will be a new Ludditism as the masses that increasingly won't benefit from globalisation start to kick back against it, and used their votes to bring in protectionism, UKIP is probably the first flickers of this.
    3) We managed to stave off 1) and 2) until our salary and productivity approach those of China, but they have almost two billion people willing to work for a lot less than Brits are, and prepared to put up with a much lower standard of living - so its going to take a long time.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Best wishes for your wife's recovery, speedily and fully, David Herdson. The rest will take care of itself.

The cost of living crisis in a nutshell: The cost of half a loaf of freshly baked white bread from my locally run private bakery on Xmas eve, £1.50; on reopening 2nd January, £1.60.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ydoethur said:

With regard to buying in from abroad and keeping the cost of living down, yes that's true to an extent. However, the flip side of that is that unless we are making enough money from selling things to those economies we are buying from to cover the cost of those imports, we are in effect spending accumulated capital (and not replacing it). That will, of course, leave us poorer in the long run. In fact, it has been a constant theme of the writings of John Redwood for some years that many British businesses are being sold to foreign owners largely because our balance of payments is so far out - he sees it as a form of capital transfer.

However, one thought does occur to me - you've identified the problem, but what's the solution? And that, I fear, could be a metaphor for all our political parties at the moment, and possibly has been since the time of Thatcher.

Thanks, and also to Indigo, whose diagnosis is similar. As I said, I don't think any party has really grasped the nettle yet, or even taken the first step of pointing out the nettle. Our balance of payments issue is enormous, as you say - I was reading Roy Jenkins' memoirs recently, and it's amazing to recall how worked up everyone got over a relatively trifling trading deficit, whereas now it just gets ignored. Government debt is an obvious economic issue, but it's actually just one element in a wider landscape that is largely ignored.

My personal view - and I stress that I'm not speaking for anyone but myself - is that we need to give absolute priority to restructuring our economy - it's more important than any of our pet themes (lower taxes, more housing, better health care, stronger military forces), most of which depend in the long term on the restructuring. There is scope for debate about how to do it, but elements include making it more profitable to invest, improving infrastructure (which is where I'll give a hearing to things like HS2) and making education more explicitly focused on developing high-end productive skills. I don't worship at the cult of manufacturing rather than anything else - there's nothing wrong with making lots of money from university courses that attract the world, for instance - but the first question for any policy should be "Will this affect our long-term economic viability?"

• Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2015
    Its not a cost of living crisis, its a cost of housing crisis. Cut housing costs by two thirds and you could absorb a 30% cut in wages, making us competitive with the far east and have change left over.

If Ed was clever he would undertake rent reform making it impossible for landlords to evict without good reason, make landlords offer 5 year leases, a right to renew the lease, compulsory registration of all landords, not just HMOs (with annual safety and habitability inspections by councils) and an independent eviction tribunal.

If he really wanted to be radical he could introduce right to buy with heavy discounts - for tenants of private landlords.

He could also remove the tax advantage landlords have over buy to live owners by introduction of a landlord tax and make landlords not tenants responsible for council tax.

Finally he could undertake reforms to bring house prices back down to 3x average wages. Capital gains tax on all house sales. 5% mansion tax on any property left unoccupied for a year, (10% if property above 100 sqaure metres) and a second owner mansion tax of 5% of the value of all properties owned by a person or couple if they own two or more properties. Essenitally making owning more than one property ruinously expensive for any person or couple.

And finally reform council tax so that it has two elements. The size of the property in square metres and the size of the curtilage (ie garden or estate) in square metres.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

ydoethur said:

Thanks, and also to Indigo, whose diagnosis is similar. As I said, I don't think any party has really grasped the nettle yet, or even taken the first step of pointing out the nettle. Our balance of payments issue is enormous, as you say - I was reading Roy Jenkins' memoirs recently, and it's amazing to recall how worked up everyone got over a relatively trifling trading deficit, whereas now it just gets ignored. Government debt is an obvious economic issue, but it's actually just one element in a wider landscape that is largely ignored.

My personal view - and I stress that I'm not speaking for anyone but myself - is that we need to give absolute priority to restructuring our economy - it's more important than any of our pet themes (lower taxes, more housing, better health care, stronger military forces), most of which depend in the long term on the restructuring. There is scope for debate about how to do it, but elements include making it more profitable to invest, improving infrastructure (which is where I'll give a hearing to things like HS2) and making education more explicitly focused on developing high-end productive skills. I don't worship at the cult of manufacturing rather than anything else - there's nothing wrong with making lots of money from university courses that attract the world, for instance - but the first question for any policy should be "Will this affect our long-term economic viability?"

I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph, Nick. Very much what I and the rest of UKIP would agree with.
  • Options
    Continuing my earlier theme. A friend of mine here works on the production line for a household name Japanese electronics company making cable tv set top boxes. She earns £6.50 per 10hr day, her husband is essentially unemployed, and yet they have a little house, the children go to reasonable school, they have a reasonable quality of life by local standards, ie. its considered a desirable job to have. Even if she and her colleagues are not quite as efficient as UK workers, the company could basically afford to employ 10 people doing that job and it would cost them the same as employing 1 person in the UK on the minimum wage, actually less because there is no Employers NI type job tax here.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Difficult to run a cost of living crisis meme when inflation is low and dropping - perhaps could go sub 1%. Labour will have to twist itself into silly contortions regarding specific prices rising and ignoring others that are falling.

Seems like Balls has figured this out judging by his recent Guardian interview.
  • Options
    @NickP and Indigo

High productivity and earnings are quite possible for a substantial minority of the population, but the entirety of the population is not going to match that, leading to greater internal inequality.

Globilisation is acting to reduce differences between nations at the cost of increasing internal inequality. We see this in China too, where the gilded rich lead lives far removed from that of the factory worker and peasant.

Redistributive policies can soften this a bit, but do affect long term competitiveness, causing both brain drain and unskilled immigration.

I cannot see Balls offering a solution.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Off-comment:

Ha Ha Ha
    The clown laughs at attempts - however mis-guided - to raise funds for this site. Maybe I'm a big buzy-ness-mun from Glasgae would like to underwrite the loss-of-funding that may have occurred...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5abamRO41fE
  • Options
    Talking of 2008, consumer debt is at a seven year high:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jan/03/new-consumer-debt-reaches-7-year-high

Same as it ever was ...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Hi. Many thanks for all your kind comments about Jenny and for her recovery. As many here have said - and as she has to me (she is a qualified psychotherapist) - it's important for me to recognise the impact of the shock on myself and also to not assume excessively the role of a carer but to get back to a degree of normality, of which this is part (OK, blogging about politics and betting isn't entirely normal but you get the drift). That said, up until a few days ago I found it hard to summon the motivation to write, never mind the time and energy.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

malcolmg said:

Off-comment:

Ha Ha Ha
    The clown laughs at attempts - however mis-guided - to raise funds for this site. Maybe I'm a big buzy-ness-mun from Glasgae would like to underwrite the loss-of-funding that may have occurred...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5abamRO41fE
    what are you wittering about, are you unable to post in English. I fail to understand which business owning Gentleman from Glasgow you are referring to or what you are talking about. Nothing unusual there mind you.
  • Options

@NickP and Indigo

High productivity and earnings are quite possible for a substantial minority of the population, but the entirety of the population is not going to match that, leading to greater internal inequality.

Globilisation is acting to reduce differences between nations at the cost of increasing internal inequality. We see this in China too, where the gilded rich lead lives far removed from that of the factory worker and peasant.

Redistributive policies can soften this a bit, but do affect long term competitiveness, causing both brain drain and unskilled immigration.

I cannot see Balls offering a solution.

I agree. I can see maybe 20% of the population being lucky enough to have been given the gifts to function effectively in a high productivity / high wage economy. But its not practical to have that 20% support the other 80%, and more to the point at the tax levels required to make that a reality they would be gone to other countries long ago. The big question remains how do we make that 80% feel valued members who contribute to a society when most of the jobs they are capable of doing, and able to be done much cheaper somewhere else. If we can't solve that problem, UKIP will just be the start as the "left behind" start to gain a louder political voice and demand protectionist and possibly even Luddite measures.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    DH

very pleased to hear your wife is on the mend.

SR
  • Options

Same as it ever was ...

Those are the monthly changes in debt - looking at one month and ignoring the months of negative change are a simpletons way to look at it.

The total of consumer debt is flat since 2008.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Saw the Conservative poster yesterday. Tedious image, slogan too long and forgettable. Not downright awful (Miliband making Cameron look like Gene Hunt would be an example of that), but pretty worthless.

Inclined to agree.

It's not the missing 4 words (blimey Iain Dale has sour grapes about not getting selected) but the boring slogan. Whether the deficit is halved or down by 30% or 40% or whatever: no-one outside of journalism gives a flying ***. As long as it's coming down and the economy is growing, it's about the £ in the pocket and the risky alternatives.

No, the real problem is as you say M_D. It's bloody boring.
  • Options
    There has never been more wealth in the UK, in Europe and in the world generally. My oft-stated view is that it is in the long-term interests of super-rich individuals and corporations to understand that if a substantial number of people feel excluded from society because they have no real stake in it, that is no good for anyone - including them. I am not super-rich, but I am well-off and I do not swing to the left out of some feeling of guilt or because of my upbringing or for altruistic reasons; it is because in the end I do not see an alternative to redistributive policies if the society that has served and my family so well is to continue. The issue is how best to do it.
  • Options
    By the way, re. the below it's often interesting to see in General Election campaigns what gets journalists and even pundits on sites like these frothing at the mouth and rushing with breathless excitement to scribble wisdom, but which leave the electorate completely disinterested. There have been many examples of this down the years, and I expect we'll have some more.

Jennifer's Ear comes to mind, but there are several others.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

what are you wittering about, are you unable to post in English. I fail to understand which business owning Gentleman from Glasgow you are referring to or what you are talking about. Nothing unusual there mind you.

For once I understood that correspondence Unckie'. Obviously Ayr races where not providing your usual tipples.

Anyhoos: You bore me. Please do not respond anymore. Life is too short; go play with Wodger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuMtZstnoT8

:triumph:
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Same as it ever was ...

Those are the monthly changes in debt - looking at one month and ignoring the months of negative change are a simpletons way to look at it.

The simpletons way to look at it would be to ignore what has been happening over a four year period -a steady rise in average household borrowing that significantly outpaces increases in average earnings.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Billions will have been spent on people buying cars on PCP's. PCP's are why the UK car market is so strong IMHO .
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Same as it ever was ...

The simpletons way to look at it would be to ignore what has been happening over a four year period -a steady rise in average household borrowing that significantly outpaces increases in average earnings.
    Show me the rise

http://www.bankruptcyclinic.co.uk/img/ukpersonaldebt.jpg

• Options
    "If we can't solve that problem, UKIP will just be the start as the "left behind" start to gain a louder political voice and demand protectionist and possibly even Luddite measures."

And that will have a major impact on the top 20%. Thus, redistribution of wealth is in their own interests. And the thing is, where will they go if they don't stay here? The problems we face in the UK are not unique to us.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''You mention rail fares but fuel at the pumps is much more vital as, indeed, are things like the new slide in the euro making holidays cheaper.''

We underestimate the effects of these at our peril. Millions must use cars for their work. Cabbies, carers, white van men - the list just goes on and on.

These people will decide the election.

It's not just the slide in the euro that will make holidays cheaper. Jets run on jet fuel. Airlines will be able to offer good deals.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Same as it ever was ...

Show me the rise

http://www.bankruptcyclinic.co.uk/img/ukpersonaldebt.jpg

It's clearly there on that chart.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Amazingly we're having a constructive cross-party discussion - thanks all.

I agree with Fox and Indigo that upscaling individuals to high-value production isn't a realistic option in many cases - as Indigo implies, if you're a farm worker and someone tells you that you need to become a research chemist, you will at best laugh and at worst thump him on the nose.

I am more optimstic than Fox about sharing out improved production, though, even though I thin his observation that "Globalisation is acting to reduce differences between nations at the cost of increasing internal inequality." is very percipient. This is where my Scandinavian background influences me. People will actually tolerate quite high levels of taxation if they see good services as a result (whereas they won't tolerate high levels of taxation merely to give the money to other people - they need to share in the results).

If - and it's a big if - we succeed in gradually moving the economy upscale and people then it should be part of the deal that we have suficient personal taxation at the higher levels to finance a society where the hypothetical farmworker feels that his life is OK even though his take-home pay isn't fantastic, since the essentials from healthcare to affordable transport are being provided. Fox reckons that this leads directly to emigration of the highly-productive people, but that's not my experience. People grumbled a bit about taxes in Denmark, which were certainly well above British levels, but emigration wasn't a big issue even though everyone had good enough English to make it feasible. People don't actually emigrate that readily.

Making it work is difficult, and avoiding the various pitfalls is difficult too. But we need to start work on it instead of just faffing around arguing about 2p more or less on this or that.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

For once I understood that correspondence Unckie'. Obviously Ayr races where not providing your usual tipples.

Anyhoos: You bore me. Please do not respond anymore. Life is too short; go play with Wodger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuMtZstnoT8

:triumph:
    LOL, a numpty who cannot write plain English, you have not enough brain cells to know you are bored. Stop posting crappy insults to me and I will happily not reply to your dumb witterings.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Same as it ever was ...

I haven’t had a bank or credit card company sending me a personalised letter offering me credit for ages. Up until the crash I had loads. Now I’m spending time trying to find out if any of those that I used fiddled a PP insurance on to me.
  • Options

"If we can't solve that problem, UKIP will just be the start as the "left behind" start to gain a louder political voice and demand protectionist and possibly even Luddite measures."

And that will have a major impact on the top 20%. Thus, redistribution of wealth is in their own interests. And the thing is, where will they go if they don't stay here? The problems we face in the UK are not unique to us.

Not really.

The problem is that we are used to a standard of living our productivity does not pay for, that not unique in industrialised countries, but its particularly the case in the UK because a culture of something-for-nothing "lifestyle dependency" has been allowed to grow up (or in some cases positively encouraged) by several governments.

Most of the rest of the world this isn't the case, here in Asia people are content with a much lower standard of living, and expect to work much harder for much less money. Sure there is huge inequalities in wealth, but the big difference is that people aspire to that wealth themselves or for their children, they mostly dont resent the rich, they just want to join them, and hope that by hard work they can move a little closer to them. Because all the jobs are moving to places like here, they are going to be endless opportunities for people to improve their lives. Most Asian governments understand this, hence there are lots of opportunities for investors to live tax free.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Not really.

The problem is that we are used to a standard of living our productivity does not pay for, that not unique in industrialised countries, but its particularly the case in the UK because a culture of something-for-nothing "lifestyle dependency" has been allowed to grow up (or in some cases positively encouraged) by several governments.

Most of the rest of the world this isn't the case, here in Asia people are content with a much lower standard of living, and expect to work much harder for much less money. Sure there is huge inequalities in wealth, but the big difference is that people aspire to that wealth themselves or for their children, they mostly dont resent the rich, they just want to join them, and hope that by hard work they can move a little closer to them. Because all the jobs are moving to places like here, they are going to be endless opportunities for people to improve their lives. Most Asian governments understand this, hence there are lots of opportunities for investors to live tax free.

I am not sure that you are right about all of Asia. Welfare spending is on the rise in many parts of the continent:

http://world.time.com/2013/11/01/the-welfare-state-isnt-dead-it-simply-moved-to-asia/

As are average salaries:

http://www.asiabriefing.com/news/2014/09/salary-planning-report-predicts-asia-pacific-wages-to-increase-in-2015/

These rises are much greater than those being seen in either the US or Europe. The only difference is that the base from where it is beginning is lower.
  • Options
    My Thai relations, Indigo, seem to want their children to do better than they themselves did.
  • Options

I agree with Fox and Indigo that upscaling individuals to high-value production isn't a realistic option in many cases - as Indigo implies, if you're a farm worker and someone tells you that you need to become a research chemist, you will at best laugh and at worst thump him on the nose.

I am more optimstic than Fox about sharing out improved production, though, even though I thin his observation that "Globalisation is acting to reduce differences between nations at the cost of increasing internal inequality." is very percipient. This is where my Scandinavian background influences me. People will actually tolerate quite high levels of taxation if they see good services as a result (whereas they won't tolerate high levels of taxation merely to give the money to other people - they need to share in the results).

If - and it's a big if - we succeed in gradually moving the economy upscale and people then it should be part of the deal that we have suficient personal taxation at the higher levels to finance a society where the hypothetical farmworker feels that his life is OK even though his take-home pay isn't fantastic, since the essentials from healthcare to affordable transport are being provided. Fox reckons that this leads directly to emigration of the highly-productive people, but that's not my experience. People grumbled a bit about taxes in Denmark, which were certainly well above British levels, but emigration wasn't a big issue even though everyone had good enough English to make it feasible. People don't actually emigrate that readily.

Making it work is difficult, and avoiding the various pitfalls is difficult too. But we need to start work on it instead of just faffing around arguing about 2p more or less on this or that.

I agree. In the Nordic countries the better off - companies and individuals - seem to accept that it is in their interests to pay more tax. I guess it is what they get back that convinces them.

• Options
    edited January 2015

My Thai relations, Indigo, seem to want their children to do better than they themselves did.

Absolutely, and because of all the jobs moving there from the West, they will. They are starting from a low base, and every improvement will feel like a step forward, we on the otherhand are going to have to take a number of steps backward over the next generation or two, and that is much harder to sell. It's also fair to say I seem a lot more acceptance of a delayed payoff, people are much more prepared to put up with a lower standard of living and work damn hard so their children do better... that certainly isn't extinct in the UK, but its a hell of a lot less common than it was.
  • Options

Yes, there has been a decline in living standards. It's a fact that isn't going away, but the credit bubble of the last decade caused them to rise faster than could be sustained, therefore a correction occurs.

I'd like to think that the electorate wold be smart enough to accept this and not fall for Labour just shouting "rich thieving toffs!!" repeatedly but given the electoral geography, the divided right and the lack of anything else to say, you can understand why Labour think it's worth a shot
    The thing that makes it worth a shot for Labour is that the debate is being held on their turf. I can think of two pertinent precedents to the current situation - the 1930s and 1980s - and in both cases the Conservatives won through a mixture of (1) a perception of competence in government, (2) being operationally superior to Labour and - most importantly - (3) owning the terms of debate. Yes, some people were suffering in both eras but many others were not; a situation much as now.

It's true that the overall economy isn't quite as Cameron and Osborne would have hoped five years ago but there are a lot of positives to trumpet, particularly un/employment (in marked contrast to the 30s and 80s - though that distinction is one reason more people are feeling the pain this time: it's not as concentrated). However, as long as austerity is seen by enough as a lifestyle choice rather than a necessity forced by natural constraints, that makes the alternative seem both viable and preferable to a lot of people.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @ NickP

It is an unusually civil and constructive discussion (and normal service will be resumed soon, no doubt!)

I am an internationalist by inclination so not too concerned by globalisation. I am glad that other countries are catching up with the OECD, it would be quite wrong for the third world to be kept permanently poor so that we can be rich.

I agree that people will tolerate Scandinavian levels of taxes if they get good services. It makes no sense to cut taxes ans spending to the point that I need private health insurance, private schools and private security. There would be no more money in my pocket.

China, Singapore, Korea etc have rapidly ageing populations and are going to need some form of welfare state soon to manage their elderly. I do think the Scandinavian model is creaking though under the strain, not least the failure to get immigrants to contribute, not just receive. The figures on unemployment and criminality of migrant communities there are scary.

Each country will adapt to globalisation in its own way, and in many ways it is the countries that are refusing to globalise (much of the middle east and North Africa) that represent the biggest threat. In the UK we need to have a social safety net and a chance for social mobility, but it is going to be scaled back from historic norms if it is to survive. The failure to reform the welfare state is the most certain way to collapse it.
  • Options

Government spending in Thailand has increased markedly over recent years:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/government-spending

• Options

TGOHF said:

Same as it ever was ...

I haven’t had a bank or credit card company sending me a personalised letter offering me credit for ages. Up until the crash I had loads. Now I’m spending time trying to find out if any of those that I used fiddled a PP insurance on to me.
    I received an unsolicited mailing for a credit card (Nat West) this morning. It went in the bin.
  • Options

I agree. In the Nordic countries the better off - companies and individuals - seem to accept that it is in their interests to pay more tax. I guess it is what they get back that convinces them.

I think NPxMP hits it on the head exactly. In the Nordic countries it feels like everyone benefits from that taxation paid, in the UK there is very much a perception that money is paid by the rich and benefit of it is received by the poor.

We may need to recalibrate how the money is spent, or at least the perception of how it is spent, so that the rich feel they are participating in the benefits. In the UK political context this is massively controversial though, it gets into all those arguments about people earning 100K getting Child Support, and millionaire pensioners getting bus passes.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    edited January 2015

@ NickP

It is an unusually civil and constructive discussion (and normal service will be resumed soon, no doubt!)

I am an internationalist by inclination so not too concerned by globalisation. I am glad that other countries are catching up with the OECD, it would be quite wrong for the third world to be kept permanently poor so that we can be rich.

I agree that people will tolerate Scandinavian levels of taxes if they get good services. It makes no sense to cut taxes ans spending to the point that I need private health insurance, private schools and private security. There would be no more money in my pocket.

China, Singapore, Korea etc have rapidly ageing populations and are going to need some form of welfare state soon to manage their elderly. I do think the Scandinavian model is creaking though under the strain, not least the failure to get immigrants to contribute, not just receive. The figures on unemployment and criminality of migrant communities there are scary.

Each country will adapt to globalisation in its own way, and in many ways it is the countries that are refusing to globalise (much of the middle east and North Africa) that represent the biggest threat. In the UK we need to have a social safety net and a chance for social mobility, but it is going to be scaled back from historic norms if it is to survive. The failure to reform the welfare state is the most certain way to collapse it.

China, Singapore and Korea are all developing welfare states.

Our welfare state is much less generous than it was in the 20th century. I paid nothing for any of my education at any stage. My kids will leave university owing tens of thousands of pounds. Under the last government and this it has become much harder for the unemployed to get social security, payments are far lower in real terms and conditions for on-going receipt are far more rigorous. Those of us who grew up in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s enjoyed the benefits of a welfare state that our children and grandchildren will never know.

• Options

Government spending in Thailand has increased markedly over recent years:

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/government-spending

Indeed but they still only charge 17% taxation on GDP compared to 39% in the UK.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited January 2015
    From the Scots' dictionary of Clownspeak:

Definition: A Scot who wishes Scottish Independence from Westminster
    Noun: A Nationalist

Definition: An Englishman who wishes Scottish Independence from Westminster
    Noun: A Racist

Definition: A mild humourous comment ridiculing English-exceptionalism.
    Verb: Banter.

Definition: A mild humourous comment ridiculing Scottish-exceptionalism and criticising the word of "Wee-Fr'Eck" and his minions.
    Adverb: Racism.

Definition: A belief in the Scots' White-Paper - Andrex-lite - on the economic future for an Independent Scotland.
    Pronoun: Reasoned.

Definition: A belief that the [English-] Sterling cost of a barrel of Brent-Crude will be under £50 by EoY-2014:
    Noun: Racist.
    Abverb: Rascism.
    Pronoun: Bigot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSufrWXQSxg
  • Options

So much turns on national culture and expectations. Scandinavia has an acceptance of high taxes partly because of experience but partly simply because that's the way the national debate has been settled. You'd have a revolution in many parts of the US if you delivered the same level of service for the same level of taxation: the value put on individual liberty and choice is so different, and having your own money to spend is a crucial element of liberty.

I'm going to park my own participation in this one though, partly because I've other things to do and partly because I've a belting article I've been meaning to write for a while on globalisation and don't want to pre-empt it.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I know a moderate anount about China, though less than you do about Japan since you actually live there. My impression from talking to a lot of people there (mostly but not all in the successful groups) is that they are perfectly willing to cut their government slack on political issues - if the party wants to suppress dissident culture and have restrictions on Google, they'll put up with it - so long as the engine keeps going, and they're also up for government spending on improving life in rural areas and doing something about the huge inequalities. To a large extent they've bought the American dream - opportunity for all - with a modest layer of social concern on top which was less evident in the boom years of American growth.

But they are nervous about the medium term when the engine slows down. For instance, the retirement age in China is typically 55 (sometimes less) - they can see that's not sustainable, but worry about how both they and everyone else will feel when it shoots up. Like us, they are part of a world that is changing faster than is altogether comfortable - their position is like being in a very fast carriage getting them towards where they want to go, but rocking and rattling dangerously.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Indigo said:

I'm not saying this is wrong, but what's the evidence for it? It's not enough to notice people in developing countries doing good quality work for less, because:
    1) Bad infrastructure or governance can reduce their effective productivity, even if they're doing more than the equivalent British worker to play their part in creating wealth.
    2) It may be that they're paid too little, not the the British too much. Wages in developing economies can rise pretty fast once their infrastructure and governance get good enough, and although it takes time, the growth of their welfare state follows along too.
  • Options
    Times cartoon mocking Tory Election ad

Peter Brookes ‏@BrookesTimes · 13h13 hours ago
    My cartoon Saturday @TheTimes. Dave unveils the first election poster of 2015 #Tories #Election2015 pic.twitter.com/yU445kikeS

• Options

I am willing to bet it will cost them a lot less money than it seems to cost us. The Singaporean systems particularly are a paragon of common sense and efficiency, largely I suspect because they had the advantage of sitting down with an almost clean sheet of paper and deciding what they wanted to do, where as they have a hundred years of cruft gumming up the system.

The impact of the extended family in Asia is quite remarkable, especially on things like unemployment. When the expectation is that the rest of the extended family will support a member through the occasional bouts of unemployment, you get remarkably little lifestyle dependency: Son sits down at the dinner table, Father asks if he has found a job yet, Son says that he hasn't, collection of disapproving looks and meaningful sighs are exhibited around the table as they are all paying for his leisure, repeat each day... very soon the son decided that any job is better than no job and gets employed and feels better contributing to the family again.

Our welfare state is much less generous than it was in the 20th century. I paid nothing for any of my education at any stage. My kids will leave university owing tens of thousands of pounds. Under the last government and this it has become much harder for the unemployed to get social security, payments are far lower in real terms and conditions for on-going receipt are far more rigorous. Those of us who grew up in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s enjoyed the benefits of a welfare state that our children and grandchildren will never know.

I agree, the depressing thing is that we are actually not spending any less money as a result,.our civil service is monstrously overmanned and featherbedded, which doesn't help, and local government is just as bad.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Best wishes to David and his wife.

Nick, my only experience of Scandinavia is visiting my son who lives in Copenhagen but they do seem to be an easy-going bunch in general and are happy with high tax, high welfare.

They have had a lot of immigration in some parts recently and one or two cracks are beginning to show. The "we're all in it together ethos" is getting a good test.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I know a moderate anount about China, though less than you do about Japan since you actually live there.

I actually live in the Philippines, but I have done business extensively in Singapore and to a lesser extent in other countries in the region.

• Options

Indigo said:

I'm not saying this is wrong, but what's the evidence for it? It's not enough to notice people in developing countries doing good quality work for less, because:
    1) Bad infrastructure or governance can reduce their effective productivity, even if they're doing more than the equivalent British worker to play their part in creating wealth.
    2) It may be that they're paid too little, not the the British too much. Wages in developing economies can rise pretty fast once their infrastructure and governance get good enough, and although it takes time, the growth of their welfare state follows along too.
    To some extent the developing countries are the least of our worries.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/sep/18/productivity-gap-uk-g7-output
    The ONS said that output per hour worked in Britain was 29% lower than in the US and 24% lower than in Germany and France. Canada and Italy had slightly higher productivity than the UK and only one G7 nation – Japan – had a worse record.
    We are staggeringly less productive that even France and Germany and they have open borders and free trade with us.
  • Options
    Indigo - again, I am not sure that you are exactly right about what is happening in many parts of Asia. I spend a fair bit of time over there and my sense is that there is a level of expectation in populations that governments need to deliver. Chinese parents do not force their kids to give up their childhoods for hours of study each day just so that they end up taking any job available. They expect their kids to get good, well-paid jobs - and they blame the government, not their kids if these do not materialise. In the countries I visit it seems to me that you are describing the situation a generation ago. As economies have developed, though, expectations have grown. It is true that what you do not get in Asia is entrenched welfare dependency - and they are undoubtedly in a position to develop systems that prevent this from arising because as in so many other areas they are able to look at what we have done and to learn from it. But in broad terms, I think we can expect to see social spending increase in Asian countries over the coming years. Populations will not accept anything less.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

@ NickP

In the 50s & 60s could someone out of work and claiming benefits have been able to refuse jobs that they were capable of doing and still claim full benefits?

I doubt many people would have had the nerve to do so even if it were allowed

Also what proportion of people went to University in those days?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

To some extent the developing countries are the least of our worries.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/sep/18/productivity-gap-uk-g7-output
    The ONS said that output per hour worked in Britain was 29% lower than in the US and 24% lower than in Germany and France. Canada and Italy had slightly higher productivity than the UK and only one G7 nation – Japan – had a worse record.
    We are staggeringly less productive that even France and Germany and they have open borders and free trade with us.

Long hours, shitty pay and strong creation of low-paid work. I can see why the British might not like going in this direction, but economically it seems like a viable position to be in.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Isam,

"In the 50s & 60s could someone out of work and claiming benefits have been able to refuse jobs that they were capable of doing and still claim full benefits?"

I suspect you know the answer to that. I remember working with people who were there only because of the threat to their dole. But remember people are a lot fatter now. However the jobs are less physical.
  • Options

The thing that makes it worth a shot for Labour is that the debate is being held on their turf.
    Yes but just wait until the Tories turn up heat over taxation, which is a vital part of the mix you've omitted. It killed Labour the last time they lost a General Election in opposition (1992) and I reckon it'll help kill them again.

By the way, I don't think George and Dave could've dared dream the economy would be growing like this, with the deficit reducing, 5 years ago. It's a meme made in heaven for the Conservatives and they will go for it until everyone is bored sick of being told it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    David sorry to hear about Mrs H's accident. Must have been an awful Christmas...

Relieved to hear she will make a full recovery.

All the best to you and Mrs H.

G.
  • Options

Indigo - again, I am not sure that you are exactly right about what is happening in many parts of Asia. I spend a fair bit of time over there and my sense is that there is a level of expectation in populations that governments need to deliver. Chinese parents do not force their kids to give up their childhoods for hours of study each day just so that they end up taking any job available. They expect their kids to get good, well-paid jobs - and they blame the government, not their kids if these do not materialise. In the countries I visit it seems to me that you are describing the situation a generation ago. As economies have developed, though, expectations have grown. It is true that what you do not get in Asia is entrenched welfare dependency - and they are undoubtedly in a position to develop systems that prevent this from arising because as in so many other areas they are able to look at what we have done and to learn from it. But in broad terms, I think we can expect to see social spending increase in Asian countries over the coming years. Populations will not accept anything less.

You a probably mostly right there, although it highlights a second issue. China is now first in the world for education. The Top 4 are China, Singapore, Japan, South Korea. The UK is currently 26th. Schools in China are supposedly 3-4 grades ahead of us. Even if they are paying the same as us, they will still win.
This discussion has been closed.