Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the super-marginals main party GOTV operations will giv

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited January 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the super-marginals main party GOTV operations will give them a big advantage

Those who have been actively involved in elections will recognise what is going on in the picture above. As voters arrive at the polling station they are asked by the two ladies with the rosettes (tellers) for their polling number which is printed on their polling cards.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    EddieEddie Posts: 34
    Agreed with Mr Smithson. The main battlegrounds are obviously more competitive.The GOTV campaigns are more aggressive, and in addition, voters are more likely to be aware that their vote is more crucial.

That said, with around 85 seats with a majority of under 2000, even a small vote share by either UKIP or the Greens in marginal constituencies, if they pull vote from the main parties, could decide which party wins the general election.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    UKIP haven't seemed at a disadvantage getting their vote out in by-elections in the last year, I wonder if Reckless and Carswell had access to the data built up over the years. Even excluding those seats UKIP did much better getting their vote out in Heywood and Middleton than Labour did.

For all their problems behind the scenes UKIP have very quickly mastered how to organise themselves in the best way to fight seats. If they focus all their efforts and resources on their realistic winnable targets they could stretch even the biggest parties.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Of the three main parties UKIP will be furthest behind in having historical canvass returns - but not everywhere. The defections they've gained at constituency chairman, officer and agent level will have brought documents and usb keys holding all this sort of thing on them plus the experience to know what to do with the data.

Phone banks are only a matter of cash. The problem will be using their intel in target areas effectively when they lack equal numbers of boots on the ground. They will need a focused targeted campaign and sound judgement of where to prioritise.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Less than 100 days to go to the start of the election campaign.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GeoffM said:

Of the three main parties UKIP will be furthest behind in having historical canvass returns - but not everywhere. The defections they've gained at constituency chairman, officer and agent level will have brought documents and usb keys holding all this sort of thing on them plus the experience to know what to do with the data.

Phone banks are only a matter of cash. The problem will be using their intel in target areas effectively when they lack equal numbers of boots on the ground. They will need a focused targeted campaign and sound judgement of where to prioritise.

Are you suggesting that UKIP will be using stolen information in breach of the data protection laws?

Presumably you can provide a link?

;)
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited January 2015
    GeoffM said:

A big question will I am sure be the moral of the troops, which might swing quite heavily on any TV debate performance of their leader. I also wonder how many activists have moved to Greens/UKIP, I am sure the newer parties will have more zeal about them and it's always exciting to be involved in something new.

Camerons problem might be that a lot of his activists probably aren't from the liberal end of the spectrum, they are more likely to be from the pissed off and dispossessed end of the party, and hence might be more prone to not being bothered, or giving Farage's team a call to see if they need any more shoe leather deployed.

Ed's problem may be similar in as much as Labour activists tend to be from the left of the party, and they are going to be cheesed off about his suggestions of following the Tories cuts, and might be looking around for a more left wing team to campaign for, to the benefit of the Greens. Also lets be honest, Ed doesn't have the sort of personality to inspire the troops.

The LDs on the other hand have their backs to the wall and I can see the troops getting very fired up and trying to salvage something from a unpromising situation, so I expect lots of literature with dodgy bar charts through the door over the next few months ;-)
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Laughable "survey" on immigration from the Tories:

http://immigration.conservatives.com/

They must think people are idiots.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Or it is a "survey" solely for the purpose of obtaining email addresses for their database
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

Or it is a "survey" solely for the purpose of obtaining email addresses for their database
    "Survey" for the purpose of looking like they care, or are actually planning to do something, to anyone coming to the Conservative website to see what their policy is on immigration.

(Before the Flightpath tendency starting banging on about how they are doing something, the benefit changes are almost certain to be ruled to require treaty changes, the Commision has already applied to the ECJ for that ruling, Poland has already said it will veto any such change as being against the interest of its citizens - so it won't happen)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Socrates said:

More to the point, repeated experiments by data-driven political campaigns and online marketing firms have demonstrated conclusively that people are idiots.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

Are you suggesting that UKIP will be using stolen information in breach of the data protection laws?

;)
    If this happens it's presumably local and private (ex-Tory kipper takes some spreadsheets home to work on and brings it back the next day with a lot of stuff filled in, nobody can remember where they got it) and they won't be publicly admitting this on a convenient website.
  • Options

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

;)
    If this happens it's presumably local and private (ex-Tory kipper takes some spreadsheets home to work on and brings it back the next day with a lot of stuff filled in, nobody can remember where they got it) and they won't be publicly admitting this on a convenient website.
    I'm sure it happens, and I'm sure it's pretty much in the way you describe.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    @Richard_Tyndall in previous thread.

The original contention from Speedy was that we ran a massive trade deficit in car production, principally due to our joining the EU.

Now, I could be wrong here, but I think the main reason we run a massive deficit in car production is that - prior to Mrs Thatcher attracting inward investment in the 1980s - we had a truly awful car industry that made awful cars that couldn't compete on the world market. British Leyland was shit, and that had nothing to do with the EU - it was the result of:

1. Crap industrial policy that thought that merging firms to preserve jobs was a better idea than allowing firms to die. We thus ensured that management who failed still had their hands on the tiller.

2. Terrible union relations. Strikes, demarcation, high cost structures and awful quality control. The reputation for quality of the British car industry in the 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s was remarkable.

I blame British industrial policy of the 1960s and 1970s for so much of what went wrong in the UK. The idea that you could merge a bunch of non-entities and just create a great business (ICL was much worse than its constituent parts, as was Rover/British Leyland) was ludicrous, and the "us and them" attitude of British unions and management was appalling. Add to that the fact that, for larger companies (Rolls Royce, British Steel, etc.), you could fuck up and get bailed out, meant there was extraordinary moral hazard.

It really is no coincidence that it was: (a) the sorting out of the trade unions, (b) the end of bail outs, and (c) a willingness to let foreign businesses in to the UK led to (c) better management of British businesses. This is not about the EU - it's about why our economy turned around in the 1980s and has yet to turn back around.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Very good thread Mike. I'd love to see more like this in the run up: on the mechanisms. I agree with you completely and it's another example of how the system is tilted heavily in favour in of the established parties, especially those with a ground base at local level.

One thing I'm not totally following: the bit about 'certainty to vote.' Could we not say that those expressing a view, but who have little or no previous voting history, are also less likely to be on the GOTV systems and therefore are less likely to vote in reality?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    rcs1000 said:

It really is no coincidence that it was: (a) the sorting out of the trade unions, (b) the end of bail outs, and (c) a willingness to let foreign businesses in to the UK led to (c) better management of British businesses. This is not about the EU - it's about why our economy turned around in the 1980s and has yet to turn back around.

Speedy said:

Point of order.
    British transportation exports have fallen from 25% of all Exports in 1998 to 15% in 2012, or in constant numbers they have grown from 43$ billion to 53$ billion.
    In Machinery&Electrical exports the share has fallen from 60% in 1998 to 21% in 2012, or in constant numbers they have fallen from 106$ billion to 74$ billion.

I can't see a positive EU effect on UK manufacturing.
    All export growth since the 90's has been oil and chemical products.
    http://atlas.cid.harvard.edu/explore/stacked/export/gbr/all/show/1995.2012.2/

All that supposed inward investment hasn't produced any growth in manufacturing or exports of goods

BL was effectively gone by 1988, the first of the data points Speedy is quoting, there was the fag end of the Maestro and Montego, but pretty much everything else had been divested or closed. Nissan Sunderland only opened the previous year and was just getting started, Honda is Swindon didn't really start until 1989, and yet in the following 15 years despite all that inward investment our exports of cars fell in real terms, and our exports of machinery fell in absolute terms, both falling heavily in percentage terms.
  • Options
    It's interesting to read about GOTV operations.
    Living in an ultra safe seat, I never get to see any of it.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    http://www.breakingviews.com/japans-cash-helicopter-may-be-first-to-take-off/21179450.article
    Adair Turner, former chairman of Britain’s Financial Services Authority, has
    suggested converting the central bank’s government bonds into perpetual,
    zero-coupon securities. With one stroke of its pen, the government would be
    free of its obligation to repay the debt. The pressing need for Japan to raise
    taxes would vanish. The fragile consumer economy, which buckled under the
    burden of a modest increase in the sales tax last April, would breathe a sigh
    of relief.
    So basically turn government debts into securities which never need to be repaid and dont cost any interest ? I assume there is a downside or governments would do it with all their debts, all the time.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and if the Scottish polls remain largely unchanged, a great many Scottish voters will suddenly find party machines interested in them because for the 1st time in a generation our seats are being treated as marginal.

I know that before Christmas I had received 2 leaflets from Lord Thurso my current MP and a calendar from Rob Gibson my current MSP, neither of whom I vote for. As a Tory, my vote in this seat is irrelevant but I wouldn't dream of voting for another party to keep a 3rd party from winning.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Morning all and if the Scottish polls remain largely unchanged, a great many Scottish voters will suddenly find party machines interested in them because for the 1st time in a generation our seats are being treated as marginal.

I know that before Christmas I had received 2 leaflets from Lord Thurso my current MP and a calendar from Rob Gibson my current MSP, neither of whom I vote for. As a Tory, my vote in this seat is irrelevant but I wouldn't dream of voting for another party to keep a 3rd party from winning.

PBers not voting for "Our Viscount" in his constituency is little short of actionable site treason.

Members of the PB Lizard Round Table will meet shortly for a passable luncheon to discuss sanctions against such miscreants. Among suggestions are :

Permanent transfer to ConHome Ukip threads, deportation to Clacton Ukip AV Summer Camp and lifetime membership of the malcolmg charm school.

• Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/31/france-drops-75percent-supertax
    France forced to drop 75% supertax after meagre returns
    Hollande’s measure was meant to force wealthiest to help dig country out of economic crisis, but was accused of being anti-business

French top rate of tax is now 45%.... you listening Ed ?
  • Options
    Artist said:

UKIP haven't seemed at a disadvantage getting their vote out in by-elections in the last year, I wonder if Reckless and Carswell had access to the data built up over the years. Even excluding those seats UKIP did much better getting their vote out in Heywood and Middleton than Labour did.

For all their problems behind the scenes UKIP have very quickly mastered how to organise themselves in the best way to fight seats. If they focus all their efforts and resources on their realistic winnable targets they could stretch even the biggest parties.

I would have thought that MPs considering defecting would attempt to find out all they could about their supporters and bringing over some activists with detailed knowledge and data would obviously be a good idea.
    However the fact that they were the recipient of protest votes against the Government would mean that they didn't need to do much in the way of GOTV.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,148
    Indigo said:

Hollande’s measure was meant to force wealthiest to help dig country out of economic crisis, but was accused of being anti-business

Hollande finally admitting the power of Marquee Mark's Maxim: money flees taxation.

No doubt the Left will cheer every banker and entrepreneur and hedge fund manager that leaves our shores. Until it finally seeps into their skulls that these people, irksome as they may be, pay for the NHS.....

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Labour/Blairite bloodletting continues... Neal Lawson thinks Labour has the wrong sort of voters, not for him the middle class Guardian readers - strange that he decided to tell all this to The Guardian then!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/01/dear-tony-blair-electorate-shifted-left-ed-miliband
    If he had lived, John Smith would have won in 1997 – not by as much as you, granted – but then your majority was too big, wasn’t it? I well remember crunching my way up gravel drives past BMWs in Enfield the day Stephen Twigg ousted Michael Portillo – oh, how we cheered later that morning. But in hindsight the wrong people were voting Labour. The tent was too big and you spent the next 10 years trying to keep the wrong people in it: the very rich, for example. What meaningful project includes everyone?

You were about one thing really, Tony – winning. Winning at any cost. And being a winner meant being on the side of other winners. Bush, the bankers, Murdoch. These were the people on top – so all you had to do was be on their side.
    Oh dear.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Hollande finally admitting the power of Marquee Mark's Maxim: money flees taxation.

No doubt the Left will cheer every banker and entrepreneur and hedge fund manager that leaves our shores. Until it finally seeps into their skulls that these people, irksome as they may be, pay for the NHS.....
    Quite. As Mr Hannan tweeted just now: France has quietly scrapped its 75% top rate tax. Wealth taxes don't redistribute wealth; they redistribute people.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited January 2015
    Good article OGH, and I highlight one part "This should be driven by quality data which will have been built up over the years and where the three older parties have an edge in the seats that matter to them"

That does not apply to most SLAB seats (evidence from past by elections) and time is running out to fix it. SNP will presumably have more data from the indyref and has almost 10 times the number of volunteer workers than SLAB.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

http://www.breakingviews.com/japans-cash-helicopter-may-be-first-to-take-off/21179450.article

Adair Turner, former chairman of Britain’s Financial Services Authority, has
    suggested converting the central bank’s government bonds into perpetual,
    zero-coupon securities. With one stroke of its pen, the government would be
    free of its obligation to repay the debt. The pressing need for Japan to raise
    taxes would vanish. The fragile consumer economy, which buckled under the
    burden of a modest increase in the sales tax last April, would breathe a sigh
    of relief.
    So basically turn government debts into securities which never need to be repaid and dont cost any interest ? I assume there is a downside or governments would do it with all their debts, all the time.

Yes: it's called "money printing".

Probably the single most important equation in economics is MV = PT, which states that (simplifying somewhat) that the price level is a function of the amount of money in circulation and its velocity (i.e., the amount of times it changes hands a year).

In an environment where confidence is low, people spend less (fewer transactions) and therefore the velocity of money declines. If the velocity of money declines absent any increase in the amount of money in circulation, then the price level should fall - which would increase the burden on borrowers, and probably cause a further decline in the velocity of money, etc.

Quantitative Easing attempted to keep the price level flat to slightly rising by allowing the amount of money in circulation to rise, to offset this decline in the velocity of money.

However, if the velocity of money is stable, then QE will have the effect of raising the price level and leading to inflation. (See Germany in the 1920s or various South American countries more recently).

If the government continues to pump money into economies (that it never has to pay back), then there will be inflation. (What's worse the existence of inflation will increase the velocity of money, as no-one wishes to keep hold of something who's value is falling... therefore leading to a viscous feedback look.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

However, if the velocity of money is stable, then QE will have the effect of raising the price level and leading to inflation. (See Germany in the 1920s or various South American countries more recently).

If the government continues to pump money into economies (that it never has to pay back), then there will be inflation. (What's worse the existence of inflation will increase the velocity of money, as no-one wishes to keep hold of something who's value is falling... therefore leading to a viscous feedback look.)

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I need to do some reading to understand the subtle difference between QE and other sorts of money printing!
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2015
    But UKIP & SNP are threatening both parties in seats that were considered very safe before and the party organisation hasn't previously had to do more than select a candidate over lunch and publish a few posters of the donkey concerned with a red or blue rosette on.

If UKIP and Greens get squeezed in some marginals then it will make their vote more lumpy and therefore more effective.

Also, membership numbers of the main two parties have dropped so much (e.g. tories down from nearly 200,000 to just above 100,000 many of who will be ancient) that they will not have the numbers of people to do what Mike is suggesting, especially as they will have to redeploy activists into previously safe seats.

Wishful thinking I think.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good morning, everyone.

Not long to go now until the fiercely competitive and highly unpredictable contest gets under way. Less than a month, in fact, to the start of F1 testing for the 2015 season.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Indigo said:

Labour/Blairite bloodletting continues... Neal Lawson thinks Labour has the wrong sort of voters, not for him the middle class Guardian readers - strange that he decided to tell all this to The Guardian then!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/01/dear-tony-blair-electorate-shifted-left-ed-miliband

If he had lived, John Smith would have won in 1997 – not by as much as you, granted – but then your majority was too big, wasn’t it? I well remember crunching my way up gravel drives past BMWs in Enfield the day Stephen Twigg ousted Michael Portillo – oh, how we cheered later that morning. But in hindsight the wrong people were voting Labour. The tent was too big and you spent the next 10 years trying to keep the wrong people in it: the very rich, for example. What meaningful project includes everyone?

You were about one thing really, Tony – winning. Winning at any cost. And being a winner meant being on the side of other winners. Bush, the bankers, Murdoch. These were the people on top – so all you had to do was be on their side.
    Oh dear.

But the only people they've got left are the North London Guardianistas?

"But in hindsight the wrong people were voting Labour."

I can see this phrase reappearing during the election campaign.

If you are prosperous and concerned about inequality, then F**k off back to the Tories. Labour don't want your vote."
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    If all these activists in super-marginals are rushing around so frantically ensnaring innocent voters who simply want to be alone, then why isn't turnout noticeably any higher than the average?
  • Options
    Not sure if Morley & Outwood counts as super-marginal, but I think it's notable we'd had a fair bit of literature from both blues and reds. There have been bits and pieces throughout the course of Parliament and there's been more recently.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452
    edited January 2015
    Charles said:

Charles said:

GeoffM said:

;)
    I'm sure it happens, and I'm sure it's pretty much in the way you describe.
    If it does, that's really reckless of the party concerned. It only takes one complaint from an angry member of the public that their data has been shared illegally (and the way you describe would be illegal) and they are in a very nasty position indeed. Apart from anything else, if they 'can't remember where they got it' a complainant who testified that they had only given such data to the same person while they worked for a different party would be automatically believed by the Information Commissioner, and be treated as a clear prima facie breach of the law.

A very heavy fine for the person who did it couldn't be ruled out either.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Indigo said:

Wasnt it a temporary tax only meant to last for 2 years when brought in and due to end by now anyway?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I read Neal Lawson's article, but it was so embarrassingly bad I didn't feel it was worth commenting on. Just a few of the false assumptions he made (1) that the minimum wage had been abolished (2) that tax credits had (A) been abolished and (B) had successfully redistributed wealth to the poorest, rather than being an expensive and badly managed junket that actually ended up causing many poor people considerable financial hardship due to unreasonable demands for the return of overpayments made as a result of HMRC's incompetence (3) that Labour would have won three general elections if led by a monkey that sang Red Flag, never pausing to wonder if perhaps had they been led by Dennis Skinner people would have panicked and the Tories would have felt able to choose a more moderate leader rather than endlessly obsessing about 'differentiating' themselves from Blair (4) that people only need to have socialism explained to them by a leader of the Labour party to support it and (5) that the Labour party has, at least since the 1950s, ever actually cared about the working class.

What worries me somewhat is not that the Guardian's columnists are progressively more terrible - they have Her Pollyness, of course, but also Will Hutton, George Monbiot and periodically Owen Jones tacked on to this lot - but that they are presumably still being paid for spouting ahistorical drivel. It's almost as though they can't quite believe how badly the twentieth century's experiments in socialism and extreme social democracy have failed and that if they keep shouting the same outmoded slogans for long enough, people will listen. Which is ironic given that Blair and to a lesser extent Gerhard Schroder proved how politically powerful moderate social democracy can prove in practice.
  • Options

Not sure if Morley & Outwood counts as super-marginal, but I think it's notable we'd had a fair bit of literature from both blues and reds. There have been bits and pieces throughout the course of Parliament and there's been more recently.

What's interesting about that constituency is that the Tories have less than 100 members in it (or had when they initially tried to select going by the timetable used). All that literature must be costing a fortune to be delivered as there is no way that number of members (allowing for the decrepit and armchair members) can deliver it all.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Neil said:

Indigo said:

Wasnt it a temporary tax only meant to last for 2 years when brought in and due to end by now anyway?
    no... it was a moron tax introduced by a moron. Only morons paid it, everyone else re-domiciled.
  • Options
    Neil said:

What's interesting about that constituency is that the Tories have less than 100 members in it (or had when they initially tried to select going by the timetable used). All that literature must be costing a fortune to be delivered as there is no way that number of members (allowing for the decrepit and armchair members) can deliver it all.

I've had literature from both the Labour and Conservative machines here in Cannock. I'm surprised the Conservatives think they can hang on, but I suppose they may feel there's no harm in trying.

A pity they both contained spelling mistakes...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Mr. Neil, it's fair to say I've had more from Balls, but given we're months away I am surprised how much we've had from both.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Root, but will they return to France, or will the flood of high-earning Frenchies to London decide they'd rather live there permanently?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Up until now, I've been sceptical about whether the SNP will translate their current Scottish poll lead into votes. However thinking about OGHs post above

* SNP 93,000 thousand members. Approximately 1,576 members per Scottish Constituency

* Labour in Scotland Approx 10,000 members (if the New Statesman is to be believed). Approximately 169 per Scottish Constituency.

Who is going to have the boots on the ground to get the vote out? Labour are well and truly Stuffed in Scotland.
  • Options

Neil said:

Indigo said:

no... it was a moron tax introduced by a moron. Only morons paid it, everyone else re-domiciled.
    Really? Because I'm sure I remember the initial coverage saying it was a temporary tax to be in effect for two years (obviously there were constitutional wrinkles but I'm sure those two years were 2013 and 2014 leaving the entire basis of the Guardian article looking a little bizarre).

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Neil said:

Indigo said:

It was due to end at the end of the month, and the expectation was that it would be renewed until their economy was working again, but it needed to be dressed up as a temporary tax for constitutional reasons (it got into trouble in the French Constitutional Court as it is). Since its made basically nothing, and has driven loads of rich French abroad, they decided renewing it wouldn't be such a great idea.
  • Options

Up until now, I've been sceptical about whether the SNP will translate their current Scottish poll lead into votes. However thinking about OGHs post above

* SNP 93,000 thousand members. Approximately 1,576 members per Scottish Constituency

* Labour in Scotland Approx 10,000 members (if the New Statesman is to be believed). Approximately 169 per Scottish Constituency.

Who is going to have the boots on the ground to get the vote out? Labour are well and truly Stuffed in Scotland.

It does of course depend on where they are. In a pitched head-to-head - say, if they were all in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Ayrshire - that may well be decisive. But there might well be several pockets (e.g. Fife) where Labour still outnumber the SNP and could win the ground war in a number of key seats.

That in itself would make a bit of a nonsense of the old UNS.

• Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

Really? Because I'm sure I remember the initial coverage saying it was a temporary tax to be in effect for two years (obviously there were constitutional wrinkles but I'm sure those two years were 2013 and 2014 leaving the entire basis of the Guardian article looking a little bizarre).

Doubtful, and there is even a radio station, I think its called France Radio Londres, to cater for the huge French community in London. It must have quite a listenership as its on DAB, not just the internet.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

It was due to end at the end of the month, and the expectation was that it would be renewed until their economy was working again, but it needed to be dressed up as a temporary tax for constitutional reasons (it got into trouble in the French Constitutional Court as it is). Since its made basically nothing, and has driven loads of rich French abroad, they decided renewing it wouldn't be such a great idea.
    But Ed supported Hollande's ridiculous tax didn't he?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

Surely that's the end of Hollande's chances at the next election (such as they were) perhaps even of being selected as a candidate. He urinated off the Right by introducing it, now he's going to urinate off the Left by getting rid of it. The poor man's going to have no support left at all at this rate. That being said, it's France that he's leaving poorer so maybe he deserves it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    Marquee Mark And replaced it with a 50% payroll tax on employers

Former
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

Not just that, the top rate of tax in France now is 45% for over 150k Euros, so Ed currently supports having a higher rate of tax than France, maybe those Frenchies will go home and take some Brits with them if Ed wins.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    Former NY governor, touted presidential candidate and father of present governor Andrew Cuomo, Mario Cuomo has passed away
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30654213
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

Never trust anything written in newspapers, the Daily Mail is the worst, the Guardian not far behind.. More absolute balls in it today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30653845
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Of the three main parties UKIP will be furthest behind in having historical canvass returns

Good one.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited January 2015
    JohnO said:

If all these activists in super-marginals are rushing around so frantically ensnaring innocent voters who simply want to be alone, then why isn't turnout noticeably any higher than the average?

Turnout in Broxtowe 1997-2010; 78/66/68/73
    Turnout nationally 1997-2010: 71/59/61/65

A consistent 7-point difference, from the 40% or so who don't vote anyway. Some of that is because it's a prosperous constituency with limited mobility, both factors that help turnout. But I'd guess that half is due to activist pestering, which is enough to be significant in a tight race.

To reply to others - just nicking polling data on a flash drive isn't enough - you need to buy similar software (the parties are not selling theirs) and enter it all by hand, a big job. UKIP's by-election strategy where I've seen it has been human wave assaults - flood the constituency with volunteers, rent a prominent high street shop, use loudspeaker vans, generally stir up enthusiasm. But I've seen no sign of collecting past or future voting data, or even of systematic local organisation - e.g. UKIP Broxtowe's website doesn't mention their candidate in any way though he was selected months ago. The human wave approach is going to be difficult in a General Election. They will need to target ruthlessly.

In reply to Charles and EiT: just nicking data isn't enough: you need election software. Labour's isn't for sale and I doubt if the other parties' software is either. Is there a product on the open market?

In reply to Paul Mid-Beds - Labour activist levels are fairly healthy, though not at the 1997 popular uprising level. Conservative and LibDem activist levels are not great, and essentially hinge on the old hands doing more - in our recent by-election, a disabled Tory councillor aged over 80 did a heroic 4-hour number-taking stint in the cold dark morning from 7am. It's awesome, but there are limits to what can be managed. IMO the Tory Achilles heel is that they've been and still are short of people to collect voting intention from people not on the phone (the paid phone banks have been working smoothly). It's now too late to do a lot about that.

Quincel - replied to you re my games on the last thread. Thanks for the interest!

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    ydoethur said:

I read Neal Lawson's article, but it was so embarrassingly bad I didn't feel it was worth commenting on. Just a few of the false assumptions he made (1) that the minimum wage had been abolished (2) that tax credits had (A) been abolished and (B) had successfully redistributed wealth to the poorest, rather than being an expensive and badly managed junket that actually ended up causing many poor people considerable financial hardship due to unreasonable demands for the return of overpayments made as a result of HMRC's incompetence (3) that Labour would have won three general elections if led by a monkey that sang Red Flag, never pausing to wonder if perhaps had they been led by Dennis Skinner people would have panicked and the Tories would have felt able to choose a more moderate leader rather than endlessly obsessing about 'differentiating' themselves from Blair (4) that people only need to have socialism explained to them by a leader of the Labour party to support it and (5) that the Labour party has, at least since the 1950s, ever actually cared about the working class.

What worries me somewhat is not that the Guardian's columnists are progressively more terrible - they have Her Pollyness, of course, but also Will Hutton, George Monbiot and periodically Owen Jones tacked on to this lot - but that they are presumably still being paid for spouting ahistorical drivel. It's almost as though they can't quite believe how badly the twentieth century's experiments in socialism and extreme social democracy have failed and that if they keep shouting the same outmoded slogans for long enough, people will listen. Which is ironic given that Blair and to a lesser extent Gerhard Schroder proved how politically powerful moderate social democracy can prove in practice.

Excellent post!

I have just watched an episode of Simon Schama’s History of Britain in which he describes how the Labour Party was formed because “In Britain the working class had finally had enough of hand-me-downs from the conscience stricken middle class liberals”.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

Surely that's the end of Hollande's chances at the next election (such as they were) perhaps even of being selected as a candidate. He urinated off the Right by introducing it, now he's going to urinate off the Left by getting rid of it. The poor man's going to have no support left at all at this rate. That being said, it's France that he's leaving poorer so maybe he deserves it.
    It was never meant to be a permanent measure and it was never about revenue raising.

As to running again, he himself has said he wont if unemployment doesnt fall. Paddy Power have him at longer odds than his PM to win the next election (both a long way behind Sarkozy who seems too short for me given that he's no shoo-in for his party's nomination).
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I've not been following the new that closely over the New Year but is it really true that Katie "rent-a-gob Hopkins is being investigated by Plod for calling someone a "sweaty Glaswegian" and a "Jock" on twitter?

Can I make a formal complaint to the police about the police wasting police time?

Incidentally, I briefly watched a programme on musicals last night and a group called Four Poofs and a Piano appeared. I assume they have been arrested?

• Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

Not just that, the top rate of tax in France now is 45% for over 150k Euros, so Ed currently supports having a higher rate of tax than France, maybe those Frenchies will go home and take some Brits with them if Ed wins.
    Don't forget, in France, your tax allowances change depending on the number of children you have. If you have 3 kids, you're only payng 45% on income above €280,000! With 3 kids you're only paying 30% on your income of €279,000.

• Options
    CD13 said:

Incidentally, I briefly watched a programme on musicals last night and a group called Four Poofs and a Piano appeared. I assume they have been arrested?

Was their singing *that* bad?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I believe its an accurate description of the product in accordance with the Trades Descriptions Act (1968) ;-)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Neil said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

It was never meant to be a permanent measure and it was never about revenue raising.

As to running again, he himself has said he wont if unemployment doesnt fall. Paddy Power have him at longer odds than his PM to win the next election (both a long way behind Sarkozy who seems too short for me given that he's no shoo-in for his party's nomination).
    So it was a nasty tax pointless a la Dennis Healey.. "tax the rich until the pips squeak"?
  • Options

Neil said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

So it was a nasty tax pointless a la Dennis Healey.. "tax the rich until the pips squeak"?
    Nasty is in the eye of the beholder. It seemed to be popular enough with the voters who elected him after he announced it.

• Options
    Neil said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

It was at least officially about raising money, although it was clearly a dog whistle which gave him a high opinion poll ratings around election time, before people found out that it was unconstitutional in its original incarnation, and did not raise anything in its later incarnations
    Finance ministry studies showed that despite all the publicity, the sums obtained from the supertax were meagre, standing at €260m in 2013 and €160m in 2014, and affecting 1,000 staff in 470 companies. Over the same period, the budget deficit soared to €84.7bn.
    €160m is probably less than it cost to setup and administer.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

Nasty is in the eye of the beholder. It seemed to be popular enough with the voters who elected him after he announced it.

Voters approve of taxes on someone else. In other news Pope appears to be a Catholic.

The French have a bit of a an existential dilemma, they like their 35 working week, their legendary labour inflexibility, their generous benefits and so forth, however they were recently found to be 26% less productive than Germany, resulting in lots of jobs of the sort that belong to traditional socialist supporters, notably car workers being lost in droves, and the closure of at least one large automotive plant as being unprofitable. Hollande attempted to let them have their cake and eat it, and is historically unpopular now at 17%. Where do they go next, its looking rather like Ms Le Pen and protectionism.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

ydoethur said:

Indigo said:

Neil said:

Indigo said:

I am sure Ed thinks that right now.. All these nasty taxes have the opposite to what was intended
    I am due to retire v soon, if Ed sticks up these taxes, I shall do what so many Frenchmen did.. re-domicile... its so easy these days thanks to Easyjet.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    After meddling with light bulbs, vacuum cleaners and television sets, it seems that coffee machines are in the crosshairs... hope you like lukewarm coffee.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11320629/Tepid-coffee-anyone-Europe-rules-percolators-must-shut-off-after-five-minutes.html
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Indigo said:

Voters approve of taxes on someone else. In other news Pope appears to be a Catholic.

The French have a bit of a an existential dilemma, they like their 35 working week, their legendary labour inflexibility, their generous benefits and so forth, however they were recently found to be 26% less productive than Germany, resulting in lots of jobs of the sort that belong to traditional socialist supporters, notably car workers being lost in droves, and the closure of at least one large automotive plant as being unprofitable. Hollande attempted to let them have their cake and eat it, and is historically unpopular now at 17%. Where do they go next, its looking rather like Ms Le Pen and protectionism.

It's highly unlikely to be Ms Le Pen because of the two stage voting system.

While Ms Le Pen will (probably) top the presidential polls in the first round, she'll only be on 25% or so, and up against almost any challenger (Sarkozy, Juppe, Fillon), she loses 60:40. Although that may - of course - change between now and 2017.

Interestingly, Hollande-Juppe leads to the latter winning 66:34, which gives you some idea of how staggeringly unpopular Hollande is.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Indigo said:

After meddling with light bulbs, vacuum cleaners and television sets, it seems that coffee machines are in the crosshairs... hope you like lukewarm coffee.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11320629/Tepid-coffee-anyone-Europe-rules-percolators-must-shut-off-after-five-minutes.html

I note that routers are included. I have just been ordered by BT to leave my router on 24/7 to try and correct and my dial-up level internet speed. Apparently my habit of turning it off at night when I go to bed and not turning it back on till I get home from school between 6.30 and 7 was disrupting the line.

I personally think this is an excuse, as I've used that method for eight years and never had a problem. However, if the EU Commission is serious about cutting emissions, wouldn't it be better to start by making or at least nudging the likes of BT to upgrade their systems to make such things unnecessary?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,745
    While I have the greatest respect for the activists of all parties who give up their time to GOTV, I have always been sceptical as to how much influence the ground war really has. For example, in 1997, didn't Labour get just as big a swing in those 'surprise' gains above and beyond the target seats, where minimal effort had been put in on the ground?

Incidentally, as a relatively new party member, I was a fired-up activist in 97, helping us to win a key marginal (Loughborough). These days, my activity comes via a keyboard and posts on PB. Perhaps this year I might re-engage and do my bit in Stockton South.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,077
    Indigo said:

TBH GREAT. Can’t stand the scalding hot stuff one gets in S**b**Ks etc. Have been known to ask for some cold water ...... as I want to drink my coffee this week!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I've not been following the new that closely over the New Year but is it really true that Katie "rent-a-gob Hopkins is being investigated by Plod for calling someone a "sweaty Glaswegian" and a "Jock" on twitter?

Can I make a formal complaint to the police about the police wasting police time?

That group’s been around for ages. Resident on a late night chat show some years ago.
  • Options

Indigo said:

TBH GREAT. Can’t stand the scalding hot stuff one gets in S**b**Ks etc. Have been known to ask for some cold water ...... as I want to drink my coffee this week!
    Except that is your choice. The rest of us like a hot coffee that stays hot for a while. It is not up to the fecking EU to make rules on such stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Indigo said:

Except that is your choice. The rest of us like a hot coffee that stays hot for a while. It is not up to the fecking EU to make rules on such stuff.
    It is also of course more wasteful to use 1 packet of ground coffee per cup than to use one for several cups spread over the course of the day. Think of the power involved in growing, transporting, grinding and packing it - and the level of waste if several are partially used rather than one fully used.

Might be OK for big businesses and for large families. Not so much fun for my mate Owain, a coffeeholic living alone who puts a pot through at the start of the day and then drinks it as and when he wants it, usually finishing up the lot by about 5 in the evening.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Which is fair enough. Although the story’s in the DT, which isn’t notably pro-EU, is it?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The real Tea Party Ukip is gradually revealing itself,rather further to the right than the Conservative party.The imposters have tried the pretence they are pro-worker.The UK-Tea Party-Ukip.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/02/nigel-farage-ukip-target-hedge-fund-city-finances-report

and Roger-asbestos is "quite safe"-Helmer in charge of the environment too.
  • Options

The real Tea Party Ukip is gradually revealing itself,rather further to the right than the Conservative party.The imposters have tried the pretence they are pro-worker.The UK-Tea Party-Ukip.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/02/nigel-farage-ukip-target-hedge-fund-city-finances-report

and Roger-asbestos is "quite safe"-Helmer in charge of the environment too.

A good amout of the working class are more right wing than the Tory party. Its just that they believe wealth should come through earning it, not reeking aristocratic inheritance, which is why they can't abide the Tories.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,123
    JackW said:

PBers not voting for "Our Viscount" in his constituency is little short of actionable site treason.

Members of the PB Lizard Round Table will meet shortly for a passable luncheon to discuss sanctions against such miscreants. Among suggestions are :

Permanent transfer to ConHome Ukip threads, deportation to Clacton Ukip AV Summer Camp and lifetime membership of the malcolmg charm school.

More verbal diahorrea from you. You are not funny and does not look like you ever will be, give up trying and just be the thick bloodsucking **nker that you are.
  • Options
    Mr. G, diarrhoea*.

Oddly, the spelling of that word came up during a very exciting orientation day[ish] ahead of my temporary stint as a shelf-stacker.

Bit of an ill-tempered post, Mr. G.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

what a derriere, nasty snide little creep.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    When speaking with young people,who the indyref showed can be energised to vote if they feel they are voting on something important,the "looks a bit Ukip" line does fit so it does not surprise me Ukip are only polling at 3% amongst the 18-24 age group.I am encouraged by our young people.In fact,watching the indyref debates the ones with young people were by far the best.The young people of Scotland are a credit to their country.
    For politicians it also means doing what you say you are going to do.The LibDems are completely stuffed in any seats with a large student population.
    Registration campaigns are vital too.The Scottish people managed 85%.GE 2015 should aim to beat that.
  • Options

Mr. G, diarrhoea*.

Oddly, the spelling of that word came up during a very exciting orientation day[ish] ahead of my temporary stint as a shelf-stacker.

Bit of an ill-tempered post, Mr. G.

Morning MD, I only reply in same manner as the poster. Jackw is an oaf and a classless one at that, he proves that titles and money do not bring class.
    Hard to imagine connection with my word and shelf stacking but presume it is HSE in case you are not human and aware that you have to wash after using facilities.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959
    edited January 2015
    CD13 said:

You might wish to look up the original tweets and consider whether they are unreasonably derogatory and insulting of a specific identifiable person, just as the Glasgow crash tweets were.

Edit: I think it's the vulnerability and the blamelessness of the victims that is causing outrage.

I'm following the discussion on PB of such things with interest. I can't help thinking that saying the same things on a Glasgow street, or in a newspaper, would cause just as much upset and lead to an arrest for attempted breach of the peace. So why should the internet be immune?

Perhaps some people have got so used to insulting the Scots during indyref that the habit is proving hard to shake off ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

CD13 said:

You might wish to look up the original tweets and consider whether they are unreasonably derogatory and insulting of a specific identifiable person, just as the Glasgow crash tweets were.
    Carnyx, he is a cretin , he just wanted to insult Scots , no interest in what really happened.
  • Options
    Mr. G, I honestly can't recall the reason behind the need to spell it.

Mr. Carnyx, we should also consider whether we want to criminalise being insulting, or obnoxious. I would strongly argue against such a thing.
  • Options

Mr. Carnyx, we should also consider whether we want to criminalise being insulting, or obnoxious. I would strongly argue against such a thing.

MD, very few people are able to spell it , so may have just been an interesting little test to tie in with HSE, make it a bit less boring.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

I’ve not yet placed any bets at a national level, as there still seems to be too many uncertainties. I’m pretty confident that no party will have a majority – but that’s as far as it goes.

I’ve focused my betting on William Hill’s SLAB seats market. I’ve build a good position in the 0-20 seats area, I’ll make good profits if SLAB wins 0-5, 6-10, 11-15 and will break even at 16-20 seats. I built most of my 0-5 position at 125/1 (now down to 33/1) and it would pay out £16,000. Realistically though 11-15 seats at 7/1, is probably the best value bet.

My sense is that the SNP surge still has some way to go and would anticipate SNP levelling out at around 50%. I think SLAB will struggle to hold onto the 20% support level, let alone their current 25%. I don’t think there is anything SLAB can do to turn things around in Scotland by GE2015, so they should just focus on a proper game plan for Holyrood 2016.
  • Options
    Re Katie Hopkins: hard to think the comments are worthy of police time.

On the other hand, if she were locked up for... ooohhhh... about 50 years, I think most people would cheer.
  • Options

As I said in my edit, I'm keeping an eye on the debate. However, there is such a thing as defamation and there is also such a thing as provoking further disorder. And two things seem clear to me. Firstly, it's not a good idea to use discriminatory or otherwise illegal language in such tweets, for obvious reasons. Secondly, it depends very much on the target. Mr Salmond is one thing (though death threats are not on, I trust you will agree) but ...

• Options
    Carnyx said:

CD13 said:

Edit: I think it's the vulnerability and the blamelessness of the victims that is causing outrage.

I'm following the discussion on PB of such things with interest. I can't help thinking that saying the same things on a Glasgow street, or in a newspaper, would cause just as much upset and lead to an arrest for attempted breach of the peace. So why should the internet be immune?

Perhaps some people have got so used to insulting the Scots during indyref that the habit is proving hard to shake off ...
    The point being that it should not lead to arrest in any circumstance. Does that mean I agree with what was said or would ever say it myself - of course not. But we should not be arresting people for saying ignorant things. The internet should be immune not just as an exception but along with every other circumstance.

And exactly the same should apply whether the target of the insults is a Scot, an Englishman or a member of the Westboro Baptist Church.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

On the other hand, if she were locked up for... ooohhhh... about 50 years, I think most people would cheer.

A major media presenter with a deliberately high profile, actively and publicly commenting on a specific named person in a very vulnerable position? Hmm. Perhaps you and MD may be right, but it doesn't seem so to a lot of people.

• Options
    ASPOs: could someone not take one out on Katie Hopkins saying anything to anyone ever?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Which is fair enough. Although the story’s in the DT, which isn’t notably pro-EU, is it?
    Oh agree entirely. My reply to you was on the basis that the story had some grounding in fact, as I assume your original comment was also. Whether or not it is actually true is another matter entirely.
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, Hopkins' comments are tasteless and despicable. But that doesn't make them criminal.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited January 2015
    Regarding the "problems with using data from bespoke canvassing software".
    1. Get output in excel friendly format.
    2. Load into Excel
    3. Manipulate as you wish.
    Simples
  • Options

Indigo said:

Oh agree entirely. My reply to you was on the basis that the story had some grounding in fact, as I assume your original comment was also. Whether or not it is actually true is another matter entirely.
    The UK has delegated almost all "energy efficiency" regulation to the EU, so the story is almost certainly true in essence (if not necessarily in detail).
  • Options

Mr. Carnyx, Hopkins' comments are tasteless and despicable. But that doesn't make them criminal.

But that's the joy of ASPOs - we could criminalise Katie Hopkins talking about anything.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, ASBOs*, and it's indefensible to make legal activity a crime.

On the EU, it should not merely be left, but dismantled. They won't, though, and it'll crash and burn instead, sooner or later.
  • Options
    I was talking to one of my Scottish friends about the tweets by Ms Hopkins.

His response is below (I paraphrase)

When did the Scots become such mewling quims?

A few years ago a terrorist attacked Glasgow Airport and what did a Scotsman do?

Went up and kicked the terrorist in the balls.

The best response, is humour.

Scotland has Ebola, England has Katie Hopkins. 1 nil to Scotland.
  • Options

Mr. 1000, ASBOs*, and it's indefensible to make legal activity a crime.

On the EU, it should not merely be left, but dismantled. They won't, though, and it'll crash and burn instead, sooner or later.

Normally I'd agree with you Mr Morris_Dancer. I have always hated ASBOs, they seem undemocratic and totally lacking in judicial oversight. (Bystander's criticisms of them are - IMHO - spot on.)

But this is Katie Hopkins we're talking about here. Just think: we could criminalise her being her. How good would that be?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

A major media presenter with a deliberately high profile, actively and publicly commenting on a specific named person in a very vulnerable position? Hmm. Perhaps you and MD may be right, but it doesn't seem so to a lot of people.

As she was presumably in England when the tweet was made your comments are noted but well.... We still have free speech down here.
  • Options
    On topic.

I've been impressed by the Tory operations.

For those who have been involved in Tory campaigns in the past, they've become very professional, when some of the membership, canvassing lists etc systems were very outdated.

In the past you got the feeling the Tories couldn't organise a farting contest in a baked bean factory.

Here in Sheffield Hallam the Lib Dems are running a good ground game here, my mother is indentified as a 2010 Lib Dem voter, she's been receiving regular correspondence telling her why she should vote Lib Dem in May that has been tailored specifically for her based on the Lib Dems coming out and speaking to her.

That said I understand Tom Watson will be in my neighbourhood today with Labour's PPC so I'm expecting a very long campaign.
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), it was some time ago (perhaps even 2012), but after the Scots banned a certain type of offensive football chanting (to try and reduce Celtic-Rangers hostility) an Englishman, in England, writing something obnoxious about football was arrested by Scottish officers who had crossed the border to do so, if memory serves.
This discussion has been closed.