Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The SNP’s been issuing lots of data from its latest Panelba

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The SNP’s been issuing lots of data from its latest Panelbase poll but no GE15 voting intentions. Why?

Above is a table with all the Scottish GE15 voting intention polls that have been published since June and I was hoping this morning that a final survey could be added to the list.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Plato said:

Well quite.

That's why I'm proud of our history. We applaud the Romans - why not the Brits?

Do the Belgians or Francs cringe at their legacy whatever that was? Congo?- India is a fabulous place - I'd emigrate to Rajasthan in an instant

It seems like you're trying to have it both ways. If a former British colony is doing badly, that's evidence that they were better under British rule. If a former British colony is doing well, that's evidence that they've benefitted from British rule. It seems to me that you're starting from the conclusion you like, and then interpreting evidence whichever way you can to justify it.

The history of the British in India was one of tax rates up to 90% on peasant farmers, a compulsory monopsony that bought their products below market rates, and extracting the wealth of the continent to Britain rather than building up grain stores for famines. The result was economic misery and huge numbers of deaths when the crops failed. The British administrators openly boasted about how they had turned manufacturing provinces into raw commodity exporters. Bengal was transformed from one of the richest countries in the world into the impoverished failed state it is today.

Of course, there were places where the British benefitted the locals, like Singapore and Hong Kong, but the vast, vast majority of British subjects were in India, and they got royally screwed by British rule. That's "why not the Brits".

A proud, confident nation should be able to admit to its historical mistakes, rather than whitewash them away. When we stayed true to the British values of constitutional rule, free and fair commerce, and parliamentary democracy, we have been a huge plus to the world. But sadly in much of our Empire we instead resorted to authoritarianism and rigged economic exploitation.
  • Options
    If the data hasn't finished dripping out, might it be that the SNP are looking for a big headline on 1 January?

Until the drip stops, it's a little dangerous drawing conclusions. If it stops without the polling figure, the conclusion suggested looks right.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    @Socrates et al,

Successful former British colonies seem to be one of two types:

1. Places rich in natural resources where Brits went to settle permanently, and with small indigenous populations. (The US, Canada and Australia)
    2. Small islands / city states able to piggyback of the success of the wider region. (Singapore, Hong Kong)

Places where Brits went to exploit the local resources, and then return home (much of India and Southern Africa); or where there were large indigenous populations that refused to succumb to guns, germs and steel, have not - to date - been enormous successes.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Socrates said:

Plato said:

Well quite.

That's why I'm proud of our history. We applaud the Romans - why not the Brits?

Do the Belgians or Francs cringe at their legacy whatever that was? Congo?- India is a fabulous place - I'd emigrate to Rajasthan in an instant

It seems like you're trying to have it both ways. If a former British colony is doing badly, that's evidence that they were better under British rule. If a former British colony is doing well, that's evidence that they've benefitted from British rule. It seems to me that you're starting from the conclusion you like, and then interpreting evidence whichever way you can to justify it.

The history of the British in India was one of tax rates up to 90% on peasant farmers, a compulsory monopsony that bought their products below market rates, and extracting the wealth of the continent to Britain rather than building up grain stores for famines. The result was economic misery and huge numbers of deaths when the crops failed. The British administrators openly boasted about how they had turned manufacturing provinces into raw commodity exporters. Bengal was transformed from one of the richest countries in the world into the impoverished failed state it is today.

Of course, there were places where the British benefitted the locals, like Singapore and Hong Kong, but the vast, vast majority of British subjects were in India, and they got royally screwed by British rule. That's "why not the Brits".

A proud, confident nation should be able to admit to its historical mistakes, rather than whitewash them away. When we stayed true to the British values of constitutional rule, free and fair commerce, and parliamentary democracy, we have been a huge plus to the world. But sadly in much of our Empire we instead resorted to authoritarianism and rigged economic exploitation.
    I cannot recall ever agreeing with you on any topic. But this time I could not disagree at all !

Happy New Year to all at pb.
  • Options
    The most influential and passionate pro-independence blogger in Scotland is Derek Bateman. Even he has been saying 'I find it hard to believe the Scotland opinion polling giving over 40 per cent to the SNP will remain firm in a British election campaign. I just can’t. All my life experience has been that Labour commands an unshakable influence over generations of working class Scots many of whom voted out of peer-imposed obligation rather than support for policy.' It won't take much of a swing back to Labour to stem the potential avalanche of SNP seats. At their previous Westminster electoral peak, in October 1974, the SNP achieved 30.4% of the vote and a grand total of 11 seats. All to play for.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    There is a clue in the table. THe last Panelbase/SNP did show a 34/32 SNP/Labour split after the Indyref.

However,a month later there was another Panelbase/Wings over Scotland which reported 45% / 28%.

Since Yougov at the end of October, the SNP / Labour split has been more or less consistent. Let's see a few more polls.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If the data hasn't finished dripping out, might it be that the SNP are looking for a big headline on 1 January?

Until the drip stops, it's a little dangerous drawing conclusions. If it stops without the polling figure, the conclusion suggested looks right.

The point was made very clearly in the email that this was the "last finding". But then again the SNP told us before September 18th that there's be no other referendums if it was a NO.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Glengyle said:

The most influential and passionate pro-independence blogger in Scotland is Derek Bateman. Even he has been saying 'I find it hard to believe the Scotland opinion polling giving over 40 per cent to the SNP will remain firm in a British election campaign. I just can’t. All my life experience has been that Labour commands an unshakable influence over generations of working class Scots many of whom voted out of peer-imposed obligation rather than support for policy.' It won't take much of a swing back to Labour to stem the potential avalanche of SNP seats. At their previous Westminster electoral peak, in October 1974, the SNP achieved 30.4% of the vote and a grand total of 11 seats. All to play for.

Going by UNS, a 34-34 split gives Labour 37 seats and SNP 15 seats. The vote distribution in Scotland is quite striking. There are only 7 seats which require a swing of less than 10% !

This SNP "landslide" is based on a mammoth 20% swing. But they did achieve precisely that in 2011 Holyrood. The current polls are not much different to Holyrood 2011.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    @Surbiton: one of the things I have always liked about Socrates is his inbuilt decency and morality. While I disagree with him on many things, he is never a fan of doing something because it is the easy option.
  • Options

antifrank said:

The point was made very clearly in the email that this was the "last finding". But then again the SNP told us before September 18th that there's be no other referendums if it was a NO.
    Then I agree with your deduction.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    edited December 2014
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates et al,

1. Places rich in natural resources where Brits went to settle permanently, and with small indigenous populations. (The US, Canada and Australia)
    2. Small islands / city states able to piggyback of the success of the wider region. (Singapore, Hong Kong)

Places where Brits went to exploit the local resources, and then return home (much of India and Southern Africa); or where there were large indigenous populations that refused to succumb to guns, germs and steel, have not - to date - been enormous successes.

One of the major problems with British (and other European) colonies in Africa was that in most cases their borders did not reflect local populations in terms of religion, language, culture etc and so were always going to be inherently unstable once the colonists withdrew. It takes a lot of time, effort and will - or a very powerful and united elite - to build a functioning state when there is no natural affinity between those who live within its borders.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

It takes a lot of time, effort and will - or a very powerful and united elite - to build a functioning state when there is no natural affinity between those who live within its borders.

As the EU is currently discovering ;-)

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078

rcs1000 said:

@Socrates et al,

One of the major problems with British (and other European) colonies in Africa was that in most cases their borders did not reflect local populations in terms of religion, language, culture etc and so were always going to be inherently unstable once the colonists withdrew. It takes a lot of time, effort and will - or a very powerful and united elite - to build a functioning state when there is no natural affinity between those who live within its borders.

Is that not also part at least of the problem on the Pakistan/Afghanisatn border?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    As an aside, without India, we wouldn't have either the University of Westminster or Buckingham University.

I'll leave it up to you, dear readers, to determine whether that would be a good thing or not ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Hair-raising details of the current Greece debt situation. 12% interest!

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite3_1_29/12/2014_545784
    The forthcoming election could rekindle the turmoil that's threatened to unravel the euro in recent years. European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker's recently announced plan to invest 315 billion euros in infrastructure programs is a tacit acknowledgment that the EU needs to do more to boost growth. But that sentiment needs to be reflected in future negotiations with Greece's leaders, and indeed with other euro members whose electorates are growing dangerously weary of austerity.

The EU's apparatchiks will need to take seriously SYRIZA's demands for an easing of Greece's economic strictures -- or risk turning the political drama into an economic crisis. If Greece were to abandon the common currency project, it would call into question the membership credentials of other euro nations. (Note that Portuguese bonds are also taking fright today.)

With Greece stuck in critical care for the foreseeable future, the troika of the EU, the International Monetary Fund and the European Central Bank will have to write off a chunk of the nation's 322 billion euro ($393 billion) debt. It's a terrible solution, since the cost of debt forgiveness will ultimately be borne by the euro zone's taxpayers, but it's better than any alternative in sight.
    Writing off a large chunk of almost 400 billion dollars isn't going to do the rest of the EU much good.
  • Options
    If the union of England and Scotland ends in coming years, will Oliver Letwin bear the greatest responsibility?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/11316656/David-Camerons-policy-chief-lobbied-for-poll-tax-despite-warnings.html
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Worrying to hear of ebola in the UK, but it does seem to have been dealt with promptly.

Mr. Indigo, I wonder what the German view is. If Greece gets let off a huge quantity of debt, other nations may try the same approach.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    As 2014 draws to an end, a refreshing thought for PB'ers. Noone links to Toilets Maguire Toenails or Guido anymore.. and a jolly good thing too. I haven't read Guido for a year or two and I never read anything by Toilets or Robinson unless it was posted on here.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited December 2014
    On topic:
    QTWTAIM*
    *(maybe)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,404

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Indigo, I wonder what the German view is. If Greece gets let off a huge quantity of debt, other nations may try the same approach.

The Germans were supporting a plan which allowed over 10bn euros left in the current package which was supposed to support Greek banks and was not needed to fund further "reforms" otherwise known as current spending. This article published in Der Spiegel at the beginning of this month before the current political crisis contains some interesting detail: http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/euro-zone-debate-third-bailout-package-for-greece-a-1005977.html

It indicates that there has been rather more good news on the Greek economy this year than is sometimes appreciated.

But the article Indigo quotes is also right. Any pretence that Greece is going to pay back its current debt or even service it on current terms is just exactly that. The debt forgiveness package the last time did not go nearly far enough to create a viable base.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

They may come to regret QMV, the majority debtor nations with no money will "discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury"

The elites of the EU have basically managed to manufacture a "Heads you win, Tails I Lose" scenario. Either they have to forgive huge amounts of Greek debt, at which point everyone else is going to want equitable treatment, and Germany loses a truck load of money, or, Greece calls a hard default of its outstanding debt, and crashes out of the EU as the ECB withdraws support, contagion causes havoc through the EU and risks Portugal going under as well, and Germany loses a truck load of money as the main backer of the ECB. If you were aiming to screw things up it would be hard to do a better job.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

They may come to regret QMV, the majority debtor nations with no money will "discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury"

The elites of the EU have basically managed to manufacture a "Heads you win, Tails I Lose" scenario. Either they have to forgive huge amounts of Greek debt, at which point everyone else is going to want equitable treatment, and Germany loses a truck load of money, or, Greece calls a hard default of its outstanding debt, and crashes out of the EU as the ECB withdraws support, contagion causes havoc through the EU and risks Portugal going under as well, and Germany loses a truck load of money as the main backer of the ECB. If you were aiming to screw things up it would be hard to do a better job.
    Isn't there another option here, "Greece sucks it up"? It's not obvious a hard default and crash out of the EU would be a huge short-term economic success that made a hypothetical incoming Tsipras administration wildly popular, and his whole sell is that Greece can stay in the Euro and the EU (but still get a pony).
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, if Syriza comes to power promising an easier time and nothing changes, surely there'll be mass protest/rioting from the Greeks?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Worrying to hear of ebola in the UK, but it does seem to have been dealt with promptly.

Don't the Greeks claim that the Germans owe them a massive amount for reparation costs?
  • Options

As 2014 draws to an end, a refreshing thought for PB'ers. Noone links to Toilets Maguire Toenails or Guido anymore.. and a jolly good thing too. I haven't read Guido for a year or two and I never read anything by Toilets or Robinson unless it was posted on here.

OK I give in, why is he called Toilets?
  • Options
    There's a fascinating article in the Times by Peter Kellner

The headline is

Politicians should ignore our opinion polls - MPs are too easily swayed by what the public thinks. They must stand up for their beliefs

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4309202.ece
  • Options

Mr. Tokyo, if Syriza comes to power promising an easier time and nothing changes, surely there'll be mass protest/rioting from the Greeks?

Yes, I'm sure they'll be very cross. They may even vote Tsipras out of office in 2020. Unless the economy's got better by then, in which case he'll get another term.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Indigo said:

Isn't there another option here, "Greece sucks it up"? It's not obvious a hard default and crash out of the EU would be a huge short-term economic success that made a hypothetical incoming Tsipras administration wildly popular, and his whole sell is that Greece can stay in the Euro and the EU (but still get a pony).
    Well he is lying about something, we will probably find out what in a couple of weeks. He has told his followers recently (a couple of weeks ago) that he wants to stay in the EU, and he is going to cancel all the actions required by the troika and repudiate their foreign debts, he can't have both. If he throws austerity out the window, and repudiates the debts, they are out the Euro. If he wants to stay in the EU he will have to do a deal which will no doubt extend their debt repayment terms until well into the future. Tsipras conspicuously doesn't care about being in the EU, he just knows its a vote loser to say so...

The problem would seem to to me to be that changing the repayment terms doesn't deal with the real problem which is that Greece's debt has almost doubled in the last five years, despite very strict austerity. I understand this is largely due to their inability to get their population to pay the taxes due, there being a longtime culture of rampant tax avoidance. Its not clear in the medium to long term how you integrate a culture which basically doesn't believe in paying taxes, to a community where people by and large do just that.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,404
    On topic Panelbase's October poll showed a margin of error lead on GE intentions for the SNP when other polls were showing leads of 20%+. I am sure Mike is right that the current poll shows something similar and that the SNP have no desire to have that published.

OTOH given their track record such a result would not necessarily mean that the SNP lead was fading, just that Panelbase's methodology is consistent.

In their final poll before the referendum they stated that Yes was on 45% No on 50% and 5% was undecided. With a "forced" vote this became Yes 47 No 53. Like almost all of the pollsters their polling favoured Yes slightly but that was more accurate than most. If their latest finding showed a return to something like October rather than the November Wings over Scotland poll that would indeed be interesting. I personally have never believed in the SNP avalanche but I do expect SNP gains, particularly where the Unionist vote is split several ways.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    "One in five migrants from Romania and Bulgaria of working age not in jobs as almost 50,000 a year arrive

The number of Romanians and Bulgarians not in work has increased 15 fold in just eight years raising fears they are becoming an increasing drain on the state, new figures show.

One in five migrants from the two Eastern European countries of working age are not in employment and the rate is deteriorating as more people arrive."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11316680/Number-of-Romanians-and-Bulgarians-not-in-work-increases-15-fold-in-eight-years.html
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

OK I give in, why is he called Toilets?
    Apparently , his office at the Daily Trash was right next door to the Toilets
  • Options

There's a fascinating article in the Times by Peter Kellner

The headline is

Politicians should ignore our opinion polls - MPs are too easily swayed by what the public thinks. They must stand up for their beliefs

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4309202.ece

I stand up for my beliefs, which I have posted on here, and would never consider voting tactically. Yet you still deride us Kippers for doing exactly as that article suggests.
  • Options
    isam said:

"One in five migrants from Romania and Bulgaria of working age not in jobs as almost 50,000 a year arrive

The number of Romanians and Bulgarians not in work has increased 15 fold in just eight years raising fears they are becoming an increasing drain on the state, new figures show.

One in five migrants from the two Eastern European countries of working age are not in employment and the rate is deteriorating as more people arrive."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11316680/Number-of-Romanians-and-Bulgarians-not-in-work-increases-15-fold-in-eight-years.html

So an employment rate substantially above the average in the UK.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Well he is lying about something, we will probably find out what in a couple of weeks. He has told his followers recently (a couple of weeks ago) that he wants to stay in the EU, and he is going to cancel all the actions required by the troika and repudiate their foreign debts, he can't have both. If he throws austerity out the window, and repudiates the debts, they are out the Euro. If he wants to stay in the EU he will have to do a deal which will no doubt extend their debt repayment terms until well into the future. Tsipras conspicuously doesn't care about being in the EU, he just knows its a vote loser to say so...

The problem would seem to to me to be that changing the repayment terms doesn't deal with the real problem which is that Greece's debt has almost doubled in the last five years, despite very strict austerity. I understand this is largely due to their inability to get their population to pay the taxes due, there being a longtime culture of rampant tax avoidance. Its not clear in the medium to long term how you integrate a culture which basically doesn't believe in paying taxes, to a community where people by and large do just that.

Governments are capable of collecting taxes when they put their minds to it. If it's been historically easier to print money when you need it then historically they'll have tended to do that, but they'll make the adjustments if they have to. And TBF, it does sound like they're getting better at it.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

Why would we want any people at all to immigrate with no job?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

Eh? Thats 20% unemployment in the groups mentioned. The national unemployment rate is less than 6%
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

If some didn't, you'd be complaining "they come over here, take our women..."
  • Options
    Mr. England, my understanding is that Greece is the only country that didn't get any after WWII.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    RT @HistoricPapers: #OnThisDay in 1986: Over 200 coal mine canaries are to be made redundant in favour of hand-held #gas detectors.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

:trollface:

You seem bored....
  • Options

Mr. England, my understanding is that Greece is the only country that didn't get any after WWII.

Yes I've just read that, it seems they have a just claim but others would know better than me.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Eh? Thats 20% unemployment in the groups mentioned. The national unemployment rate is less than 6%
    The employment rate among people of working age in Britain is 73%:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labour-market-statistics/december-2014/statistical-bulletin.html

The article even admits it, in muffled form:

"While the employment rate for Romanians and Bulgarians remains higher than the national average of 72 per cent..."

Many of those without jobs will not be unemployed. They may, for example, be students.
  • Options

Governments are capable of collecting taxes when they put their minds to it. If it's been historically easier to print money when you need it then historically they'll have tended to do that, but they'll make the adjustments if they have to. And TBF, it does sound like they're getting better at it.

An Italian friend once described the process to me under which his tax bill was arrived at. He met the tax inspector at an agreeable cafe, some pleasantries were exchanged, a nice bottle of wine was ordered and opened. The tax inspector wrote a two numbers on a sheet of paper, as the bottle was consumed, the paper was passed back and forward, one number got rapidly smaller, the other slowly larger. After a couple more agreeable bottles they shook hands, the first number would shortly appear on his tax statement, the second number would soon be added to the inspectors bank balance. Tax is paid scrupulously in accordance with the tax demand that arrives, it just in no way reflects the true amount due. I believe a similar procedure is followed in Greece, it certainly is in several parts of Asia in which I have done business.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited December 2014
    antifrank said:

Indigo said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

The employment rate among people of working age in Britain is 73%:

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lms/labour-market-statistics/december-2014/statistical-bulletin.html

The article even admits it, in muffled form:

"While the employment rate for Romanians and Bulgarians remains higher than the national average of 72 per cent..."

Many of those without jobs will not be unemployed. They may, for example, be students.
    They may also be claiming benefits whist working cash in hand, who knows?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

I've never said anything like that, you're just unable to see anything objectively outside of your own little bubble

"Oh poor me, no one understands my life! I feel they are all walking in a different direction out of the train station than me... . No one understands my despair... I'll set up a little group so we can all moan about it"
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

An Italian friend once described the process to me under which his tax bill was arrived at. He met the tax inspector at an agreeable cafe, some pleasantries were exchanged, a nice bottle of wine was ordered and opened. The tax inspector wrote a two numbers on a sheet of paper, as the bottle was consumed, the paper was passed back and forward, one number got rapidly smaller, the other slowly larger. After a couple more agreeable bottles they shook hands, the first number would shortly appear on his tax statement, the second number would soon be added to the inspectors bank balance. Tax is paid scrupulously in accordance with the tax demand that arrives, it just in no way reflects the true amount due. I believe a similar procedure is followed in Greece, it certainly is in several parts of Asia in which I have done business.
    Sure, historically it's been done like that all over the place. But governments have tools to deal with these things, like setting up sting operators to catch dodgy tax inspectors and putting them in prison.

Reforming against the grain of a deeply-rooted cultural practice takes determination, but it's been done repeatedly in all kinds of different places. Greece has a key ingredient in making this happen, which is really, really shitty alternatives.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick
    I realise that you're upset that contrary to your prejudices it is shown that Bulgarian and Romanian migrants to the UK are harder working than the English. My sympathies. It's always disappointing to have long-cherished beliefs punctured.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

You mean something like the system by which Vodafone (according to Private Eye) arrive at their "tax due” to the UK Government?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

If the union of England and Scotland ends in coming years, will Oliver Letwin bear the greatest responsibility?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/11316656/David-Camerons-policy-chief-lobbied-for-poll-tax-despite-warnings.html

George Younger would take lot of the blame. I met him once, very personable man, classic old school monied tory. Tory party in Scotland died on his watch and he didn't appear to even notice.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2014
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick
    Logs in to pb for first time in the morning - first comment at top of the thread is this one.

Logs back out & thinks better to head off for some ham and Xmas cake left overs for brekkie... the food of kings.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

I've never said anything like that, you're just unable to see anything objectively outside of your own little bubble

"Oh poor me, no one understands my life! I feel they are all walking in a different direction out of the train station than me... . No one understands my despair... I'll set up a little group so we can all moan about it"
    Social media claims yet another potential ukip politician.
  • Options

George Younger would take lot of the blame. I met him once, very personable man, classic old school monied tory. Tory party in Scotland died on his watch and he didn't appear to even notice.
    Guardian’s got the same story. CiF is going ballistic!
  • Options

Indigo said:

You mean something like the system by which Vodafone (according to Private Eye) arrive at their "tax due” to the UK Government?
    I am not sure how the UK Government's alleged treatment of Vodafone's tax affairs helps Greece pay off its debts.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091
    The apparent problems that Greeks (*) have with numbers extends further than national accounting.

The passenger manifest on the ferry that caught fire seems to have been a piece of elaborate fiction. There were meant to be 475 people on board. Accounting for the ten dead, 427 have been rescued, meaning there are still around 40-50 people missing. However, reports suggest that eighty of the people rescued were not on the manifest. Did the missing people get off at the intermediate stop, did they even exist, or are they in the water?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30629472

Incredible.

(*) And to be fair in this case, Italians...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

I am not sure how the UK Government's alleged treatment of Vodafone's tax affairs helps Greece pay off its debts.
    Goose, sauce, gander.
  • Options
    Anyway, for those that may not have seen it yesterday, here's my post on UKIP's various battlegrounds:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/testing-boundaries-4-ukip-vs-all-comers.html
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick
    I realise that you're upset that contrary to your prejudices it is shown that Bulgarian and Romanian migrants to the UK are harder working than the English. My sympathies. It's always disappointing to have long-cherished beliefs punctured.
    Not at all, you have read it completely wrong... as I said, the number of unemployed British is irrelevant

But carry on being a pretentious smart arse that doesn't understand anyone else's life but frets over his own precious problems, it suits you

Set up a self obsessed special interest group at work to discuss?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,960

Interesting report on Mr Letwin, but it fails to point out that the Scots were getting the poll tax a year earlier despite having just had a long and complex rates revaluation process - in complete contrast to England. Which undermined a purported justification for the poll tax, that it avoided the (usual) problems with the periodic revaluation process, as well as being so blatantly anti-Scots in appearance.

• Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

Social media claims yet another potential ukip politician.
    Why is that?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Reforming against the grain of a deeply-rooted cultural practice takes determination, but it's been done repeatedly in all kinds of different places. Greece has a key ingredient in making this happen, which is really, really shitty alternatives.

According to my sources, the problem with sting operations and the like, is that the tax inspector is protected from above, because he and his colleagues filter a certain percentage of their "under the table" payments to their boss, and him to his boss and so forth - the whole hierarchy has an interest in protecting the status quo because the numbers being pocketed near the top are quite substantial, and because the embarrassment caused could spread a long way. So very hard to stop, not impossible, and you are right Greece has the right incentives to try.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick
    Not at all, you have read it completely wrong... as I said, the number of unemployed British is irrelevant

But carry on being a pretentious smart arse that doesn't understand anyone else's life but frets over his own precious problems, it suits you

Im sure you believe that you believe you are the true voice of the man on the street, but if you genuinely want to make progress in politics you need to be much, much more circumspect in what you say. Or you look a bit of a prick. (Use of prick, is deliberate to demonstrate how inappropriate it was)
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Goose, sauce, gander.
    Except the Goose is growing at over 3% and the Gander is about to crash out of the EU with huge debts it has not realistic chance of servicing, but your attempt at cheap point scoring is noted ;-)

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

I just went and looked at the Guardian web site for the first time in years and read a Polly Toynbee article; seriously are these people mad or is it an elaborate parody ?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

According to my sources, the problem with sting operations and the like, is that the tax inspector is protected from above, because he and his colleagues filter a certain percentage of their "under the table" payments to their boss, and him to his boss and so forth - the whole hierarchy has an interest in protecting the status quo because the numbers being pocketed near the top are quite substantial, and because the embarrassment caused could spread a long way. So very hard to stop, not impossible, and you are right Greece has the right incentives to try.
    Optimistically, somebody like Tsipras - a little bit cunning, anti-establishment, disconnected from the existing power structure - may be the right person to do it. Especially when he has to make up for his "renegotiation" delivering less than he said it would before the election.
  • Options
    UPDATE: The SNP has assured me that no GE15 voting questions were asked
  • Options

I just went and looked at the Guardian web site for the first time in years and read a Polly Toynbee article; seriously are these people mad or is it an elaborate parody ?
    Sadly neither, its a metropolitan elite circlejerk in which none of the people involved has any comprehension of real life. You might was well hold a focus group with a tribe of indigenous people from the Amazon and ask them about how to run the country.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

Too late to try and change the original it's been quoted in full by other posters which means you can't censor what was originally written, which would be such an old politics way of doing things.
  • Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

Im sure you believe that you believe you are the true voice of the man on the street, but if you genuinely want to make progress in politics you need to be much, much more circumspect in what you say. Or you look a bit of a prick. (Use of prick, is deliberate to demonstrate how inappropriate it was)
    I don't believe that, I wouldn't say I am the average man on the street, but what I do believe is there is a lack of empathy from a lot of people, particularly on here, who write people off/make assumptions/score cheap points without knowing what it is like to be in their shoes.

For instance you used abortion as a metaphor and when I asked you not to, graphically described one in response. Maybe it made you feel clever
  • Options

How peculiar. You'd have thought that was much the most important question they'd want to ask right now.
  • Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

Too late to try and change the original it's been quoted in full by other posters which means you can't censor what was originally written, which would be such an old politics way of doing things.
    I haven't changed it , what are you talking about?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Isam,

I think you'll have to accept that some people have a different mindset to you when it comes to Europe. You believe that your country is the UK, but others believe that their country is Europe.

Thus the poor in Rumania are equivalent to the poor in, say Lincolnshire. These people may be in a minority overall but less so in the higher reaches of society across Europe. That's why the EU is aiming for something close to a Political Union rather than just a common market, and also why the left wing in general are now strongly in favour of the EU.

It's a legitimate and honourable viewpoint as long as they are honest upfront, as many are.

It's an old idea. As John Donne said in the seventeenth century ...

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself.
    Each is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manor of thine own
    Or of thine friend's were.
    Each man's death diminishes me,
    For I am involved in mankind.
    Therefore, send not to know
    For whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee.

Sorry if it's a bit early for philosophy.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    I expect the SNP are suppressing polling information indicating a heavy defeat for Salmond in Gordon-then again, perhaps not :-)
  • Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

I don't believe that, I wouldn't say I am the average man on the street, but what I do believe is there is a lack of empathy from a lot of people, particularly on here, who write people off/make assumptions/score cheap points without knowing what it is like to be in their shoes.

For instance you used abortion as a metaphor and when I asked you not to, graphically described one in response. Maybe it made you feel clever
    I note you haven't had the courage of your convictions and attempted to censor your original post. It would probably have been wiser to have thought about it before posting the original.
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, it's beyond me how anyone could think of Europe as their country. I'm not saying that such people do not exist, merely that their perspective is incomprehensible to me.
  • Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

I note you haven't had the courage of your convictions and attempted to censor your original post. It would probably have been wiser to have thought about it before posting the original.
    You note wrong.. I haven't tried to censor it.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Dancer,

"it's beyond me how anyone could think of Europe as their country."

It's a noble idea, but there are at least a couple of problems. They want to use your money to make it a fact, and they don't always admit this.

I have a lot of respect for those who live their ideals. The Salvation Army go out and get their hands dirty. Other "opinion makers" do it by proxy and benefit from it.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited December 2014
    @ antifrank
    " that Bulgarian and Romanian migrants to the UK are harder working than the English..."

To which I'd add Albanians if the guy who did my plastering is typical. The man's a talented human dynamo. And liberal with his splendid home-made raki (or should that be rakia ?).
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, a noble idea? Perhaps. But it is certainly an utter fantasy.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Dancer,

"it's beyond me how anyone could think of Europe as their country."

It's a noble idea, but there are at least a couple of problems. They want to use your money to make it a fact, and they don't always admit this.

The biggest problem (aside from the democratic deficit of the placing largely being run by an unelected Commission) is there is no "demos", the people of Europe do not feel (with a few exceptions) as the common people of a state. This isnt even the direction of travel, Nationalists and Populists are in the ascendant, the people of the Europe are rapidly tiring of the idea, largely I suspect because its an idea that make sense to a group of old men who survived the world wars, but is incomprehensible to the globally connected people of today.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL

RT @indiaknight: There's a story in the Times about Leon Brittan telling Mrs Thatcher in 1986 that there was a 'strong case' to ban sex toys

RT @indiaknight: He was worried about 'physical injury,' apparently.
  • Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

Why are you saying I have tried to censor anything? I blatantly haven't

Isn't getting something wrong and refusing to admit it/apologise a bit old politics?
  • Options
    Only a stub but this story sounds a little odd. Two Albanian seamen killed on a tug towing the stricken ferry:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30630703
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    antifrank said:

How peculiar. You'd have thought that was much the most important question they'd want to ask right now.
    Yes. Have they said that they have published 'all' the questions? Perhaps they do not want to galvanise their opponents too much....
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    We could change the issue from a triviality like peoples jobs & wages and make it really important by substituting it for something important like gay rights...

For the sake of argument lets say we have a 25% level of homophobes among the British population

We think there should be no homophobes in a perfect world

Gay rights groups recognise the need for immigration, but would prefer not to have homophobic immigrants, and devise a simple way of excluding such people.

The government ignore any attempts to filter the homophobes from the nice guy immigrants, and 20% of all immigrants from the countries the LGBT groups were particularly concerned about turn out to be homophobic

"At least it's less than the British %"

or

"Why are we increasing the amount of homophobes in the country?"
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    I note that William Hill have again cut their SLAB 0-15 seats prices e.g. 6-10 seats was 66/1 10 days ago - now 12/1. I built a nice position 66/1. The 0-5 seats price has fallen from 125/1 to 33/1.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Weird.

One reason might be that for the VI question to be unbiased it'd need to be asked first and they were maybe worried about it biasing the answers to the other questions?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Morris_Dancer
    "Only a stub but this story sounds a little odd"

A snapped cable is odd, or do you mean that they were Albanians?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,091

Only a stub but this story sounds a little odd. Two Albanian seamen killed on a tug towing the stricken ferry:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30630703

It's hardly unknown for broken cables to kill sailors. Whilst a broken cable 'cutting a man in half' is apparently a myth, the tension is such that when they break, they can cause severe internal injuries to anyone in the way, or knock them overboard or into the superstructure.

Aren't most 'cables' on ships actually some form of plastic nowadays, rather than steel?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited December 2014
    calum said:

I note that William Hill have again cut their SLAB 0-15 seats prices e.g. 6-10 seats was 66/1 10 days ago - now 12/1. I built a nice position 66/1. The 0-5 seats price has fallen from 125/1 to 33/1.

Bloody hell, those were generous prices.

Missed em all !

Anyway Hills leader out/stay in 2015 markets yesterday were nice.
  • Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

Isn't getting something wrong and refusing to admit it/apologise a bit old politics?
    Been struggling to reply on my phone. Who removed the "prick" comment from your original list?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

Been struggling to reply on my phone. Who removed the "prick" comment from your original list?
    It's still there. He added two additional paragraphs, but the original comment is still there.

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/503543/#Comment_503543
  • Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

No one, it is still there

Apology?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, there was no mention of the cable when I read the story.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

..."
    You prick
    There are a lot of rough diamonds around.
    Tucked away on the Mails take on the story is the Migration Observatory's comment---
    ''The Migration Observatory said the not-in-work total of 46,000 will include a large number of students, spouses, dependants and those wealthy enough not to work.
    Madeleine Sumption, the observatory’s director, said: ‘Immigration from Romania and Bulgaria has been much more gradual than flows from the EU member states that joined in 2004.
    ‘In 2004, the UK was one of only three EU member states that did not introduce transitional labour market controls on migrants from new accession states, and saw a sharp increase in migration from these countries.
    ‘It seems likely that the controls imposed in 2007, together with the weak economy at the end of the decade, may have slowed the pace of Romanian and Bulgarian migrants settling in the UK.’ ''

But as well as the casual abuse we again see that ukip supporters cannot resist the dog whistle.

We need to ask ourselves why we cannot get our own people educated and motivated for work and life. We also need to ask where, assuming we want people to be in higher education doing higher educated things after it, where we get our lower educated workers from doing the lower educated jobs that we require to service our higher educated needs.
  • Options
    As a relatively new kid on this normally excellent site let me see if I can get this right.

Mike makes a post suggesting that the SNP did not publish voting intentions, without checking with either the SNP, or Panelbase and assumes this is a conspiracy to suppress information.

This sets running excitable contributions from posters who hope beyond hope that the information from THREE Scottish polls in the last TWO weeks might somehow be wrong.

Now when Mike has his original suspicions confounded by the SNP, and more importantly Panelbase, normally sensible people like antifrank suggesting this is "odd"

In fact it is perfectly rational behaviour. The SNP do not need information on voting intentions - they have that already. What they have been very successfully feeding the Scottish press over the least three days is rather an explanation for their current success. All of the results from their poll - on popular support for the SNP as "good" for Scotland, on support for the SNP role in a hung parliament etc -are interesting and very favourable indeed to the SNP narrative.

If we want to know how the SNP is doing then all we have to do is look at their soaring prices on Sporting Index - mid point now 28 seats from 21 a couple of weeks ago.

If we want information on why that is happening then it would have been better Mike to publish some of these poll findings rather than float a conspiracy theory which has been so quickly and comprehensively shot down.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    edited December 2014

Indigo said:

You might want to take care about what you are saying there. There was never any allegation - or any evidence - that Vodafone sought to bribe anyone at HMRC. Such an allegation would be highly libellous if made without supporting evidence. (And the Private Eye story never really stacked up anyway.)

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    edited December 2014
    antifrank said:

Otoh the SNP may be building a position as the party who will fight for authentic Devo Max, which seems much more realistic than flying 'new referendum' kites for the moment.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    saddened said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Irrelevant

You prick

Saddo , Antifrank's dumb little helper. Get a life saddo.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230

rcs1000 said:

@Socrates et al,

It takes a lot of time, effort and will - or a very powerful and united elite - to build a functioning state when there is no natural affinity between those who live within its borders.

That last sentence might be usefully contemplated by those in charge of this country.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    antifrank said:

It matters not a jot at this point , long way to go and why would they want to assist the regional parties at this juncture.
This discussion has been closed.