Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Curtice analysis of latest Scottish polling suggests that L

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited December 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Curtice analysis of latest Scottish polling suggests that LAB could be down to 3 seats – the same as the LDs

“..What, however, this poll brings anew to the evidence is an estimate of how well the parties are doing in different types of seats in Scotland. Inevitably, these estimates are based on relatively small sample sizes and thus have to be treated with caution.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,404
    edited December 2014
    And the number of seats that changed hands at the last election in Scotland was zero. I still think it is worth remembering that. Earthquakes happen from time to time but megaquakes are vanishingly rare.

Edit. And a first. What a nice welcome back after my Christmas break.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959
    DavidL said:

And the number of seats that changed hands at the last election in Scotland was zero. I still think it is worth remembering that. Earthquakes happen from time to time but megaquakes are vanishingly rare.

Yes, but only because the strain takes time to build up. Doesn't mean they don't happen, and the longer you go without one the higher the probability gets (especially if there have been other nearby earthquakes which shift the strain along the line). And once your dogs start whining and the strange lights appear in the sky over the faultline ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=k71wgt1p6b0C&pg=PA629&lpg=PA629&dq=mochras+fault+egryn+lights&source=bl&ots=rB5v5dj-gi&sig=_2UDsVHT5ntecMgtgxL4C5zz2CE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sImeVNq5MMHrUoKqgcgL&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=mochras fault egryn lights&f=false

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    A new Sclab song to sing for the May elections. 3 seats, I ask you, 3 seats, it's killing........
    Sung to Brahn Boots, by Stanley Holloway.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited December 2014
    And...?

Why should eight-percent of the population (and their Boerish kraal mentality) get so much attention? Gosh, may as well listen to the LibDhimmies next.... :persevere:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,995
    It would be funny if the Lib Dems finished with more Scottish seats than Labour.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Yes, but only because the strain takes time to build up. Doesn't mean they don't happen, and the longer you go without one the higher the probability gets (especially if there have been other nearby earthquakes which shift the strain along the line). And once your dogs start whining and the strange lights appear in the sky over the faultline ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=k71wgt1p6b0C&pg=PA629&lpg=PA629&dq=mochras+fault+egryn+lights&source=bl&ots=rB5v5dj-gi&sig=_2UDsVHT5ntecMgtgxL4C5zz2CE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sImeVNq5MMHrUoKqgcgL&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=mochras fault egryn lights&f=false

I think you are taking my metaphor a little too seriously. And as for that John Curtice, he doesn't even known which finger to put up.
  • Options
    The John Curtice article is definitely worth a look, as Mr S says. In particular, voters are not impressed with the Smith Commission, so that is another area where Labour (and the other Unionists) are still further vulnerable:

'Apart from providing yet further evidence of Labour’s woes north of the border, today’s poll also gives us evidence, further to that previously provided by YouGov, on how people in Scotland view the proposals of the Smith Commission. It confirms the impression created by that earlier reading that those who back the proposals have a lot of work to do to persuade voters of their merits.'
  • Options
    I've just placed a range of constituency bets on the SNP. They are currently odds against in most constituencies. The question to ask yourself is whether you think that it is more likely than not that they will take most seats in Scotland. If like me you think that it is more likely than not that the SNP will take most seats in Scotland, you should bet accordingly.

I can see ways for Labour to turn it round in the next four and a half months, but it seems odds against to me right now.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    We could end up with a Labour/Lib Dem/SNP coalition government !
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Ed Miliband has not been properly held to account for what has happened in Scotland. All the disasters happened under his watch.

The Holyrood elections in 2011 happened under his watch.

The fracturing of Labour in the Indy Ref happened under his watch.

There is an impending Scottish disaster in 2015, and nothing in Ed Miliband's past suggests he has the skill or insight to avert what will happen.

In fact, what will happen in Westminster in 2015 is nothing really compared to the achievement of the SNP in Holyrood in 2011. Because Labour chose the mixed member proportional representation scheme there to prevent any one party taking majority control. So, the Holyrood trump in 2011 was a greater achievement.

I think only a change in Labour leader in Westminster can avert the impending Labour disaster in Scotland.
  • Options

And...?

Why should eight-percent of the population (and their Boerish kraal mentality) get so much attention? Gosh, may as well listen to the LibDhimmies next.... :persevere:

This is a political betting site and right now many of the most exciting political bets concern Scotland.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

I think you are taking my metaphor a little too seriously. And as for that John Curtice, he doesn't even known which finger to put up.

Och, it was a bit fun - I've always loved the Mochras lights ... but what is very clear is we are in uncertain territory, thanks to the Labour FPTP advantage and this new factor giving a very non-linear function of votes/seats, though Mr Murphy's claim that he wouldn't lose a single SLAB seat to the SNP was unfortunately ambiguous!

Mr Curtice was quoted very often and with great respect by the Unionists during indyref, so it's odd to see an Unionist with a word against him!
  • Options

Ed Miliband has not been properly held to account for what has happened in Scotland. All the disasters happened under his watch.

There is an impending Scottish disaster in 2015, and nothing in Ed Miliband's past suggests he has the skill or insight to avert what will happen.

In fact, what will happen in Westminster in 2015 is nothing really compared to the achievement of the SNP in Holyrood in 2011. Because Labour chose the mixed member proportional representation scheme there to prevent any one party taking majority control. So, the Holyrood trump in 2011 was a greater achievement.

I think only a change in Labour leader in Westminster can avert the impending Labour disaster in Scotland.

You could add the Falkirk affair as well, no?

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    antifrank said:

I've just placed a range of constituency bets on the SNP. They are currently odds against in most constituencies. The question to ask yourself is whether you think that it is more likely than not that they will take most seats in Scotland. If like me you think that it is more likely than not that the SNP will take most seats in Scotland, you should bet accordingly.

I can see ways for Labour to turn it round in the next four and a half months, but it seems odds against to me right now.

Most bizarrely, the SNP remain odds again in some of their first few target seats. Even if Labour regain most of the ground in Scotland, it's difficult to see them not losing seats like Edinburgh East, where they are 11/10. I mean, they might regain all the lost ground, but that isn't odds on likely.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited December 2014

No Labour leader could please the Scots and simultaneously keep the English constituencies required to win on side.

There isn't a set of policies in existence that could do that.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Carnyx said:

You could add the Falkirk affair as well, no?

You only need to read Diane Abbot's account of her sacking or the fiasco over Bryant today, to realise how weak and disastrous Ed as PM would be.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

And...?

This is a political betting site and right now many of the most exciting political bets concern Scotland.
    And the most exciting political fights are in Georgia. Scotland will not decide the election; England and Wales will: It is called Mathematics.... :disagree:
  • Options
    Quincel said:

antifrank said:

Most bizarrely, the SNP remain odds again in some of their first few target seats. Even if Labour regain most of the ground in Scotland, it's difficult to see them not losing seats like Edinburgh East, where they are 11/10. I mean, they might regain all the lost ground, but that isn't odds on likely.
    I agree completely. The hardest thing is identifying the SNP's lowest hanging fruit, because uniform national swing is not going to be very helpful. But if you spread your bets a bit, you'll be unlucky to avoid finding them.
  • Options
    I've just seen a tweet showing Hills offering 6/1 on Salmond becoming a minister in a Miliband government.

That would go down well in England.
  • Options
    "No Labour prime minister could please the Scots and simultaneously keep the English constituencies required to win on side."

I think a more authentically working class voice from the North of England or Wales -- which share some of the Scottish alienation from Westminster -- could save most of the Scottish seats and could take seats front the Tories in the English Midlands and the North.

Miliband is not that person, and I think if he stays leader, then he will have a third disaster to go with Holyrood 2011, and the IndyRef.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Och, it was a bit fun - I've always loved the Mochras lights ... but what is very clear is we are in uncertain territory, thanks to the Labour FPTP advantage and this new factor giving a very non-linear function of votes/seats, though Mr Murphy's claim that he wouldn't lose a single SLAB seat to the SNP was unfortunately ambiguous!

Mr Curtice was quoted very often and with great respect by the Unionists during indyref, so it's odd to see an Unionist with a word against him!
    I agree that we are in uncertain territory. Like our Welsh friend with the unpronounceable name I think the biggest problem for Labour is Ed. The English may be underwhelmed but the Scots are contemptuous and rightly so. His efforts or lack of them in the referendum as the leader of what was then the largest party in Scotland were astonishingly pathetic. I have a lot of Labour leaning friends and none of them, literally none, have a good word to say about him.

Will he campaign in Scotland? Will Murphy let him?
  • Options

antifrank said:

And...?

And the most exciting political fights are in Georgia. Scotland will not decide the election; England and Wales will: It is called Mathematics.... :disagree:

It looks as if Scotland will have a very big impact, though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,298
    edited December 2014

That's actually a primary point. SLab increased its vote share in 2010 because of Brown, they'll lose (?) seats in May because of Milliband. Suggesting Murphy can much affect this would be like saying Iain Gray had a material influence on the 2010 GE.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    edited December 2014
    Rather too late to save them, three seats on 25% of the votes might convince a few Scottish Labour dinosaurs that FPTP is not the ideal system. But then 260/280 seats on 30% of the vote is going to get others in England going the other way.

As someone says below, all this has happened on EdM's watch. Neither IDS nor Hague lost the SE of England, which is the Tory equivalent. The one consolation of the Tories winning most seats in May is that it will bring Ed's abysmal leadership to an end.
  • Options

Is there anything that any labour leader could say to the Scots that wouldn't torpedo labour's chances in England?

I have my doubts.

It wasn't the tories' time in government that created the SNP's boom it was labour's time. It seems from the outside as if very little changed, because Blair and Brown spent all their efforts trying to keep the English swing seats on side.
  • Options
    On the Smith Commission 30% say it does not go far enough; 26% say it's about right; 14% say too far; the rest don't know. That does not look like a country feeling it has been betrayed.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    taffys said:

Is there anything that any labour leader could say to the Scots that wouldn't torpedo labour's chances in England?

I have my doubts.

It wasn't the tories' time in government that created the SNP's boom it was labour's time. It seems from the outside as if very little changed, because Blair and Brown spent all their efforts trying to keep the English swing seats on side.

There is plenty a credible Labour leader could do. You only need to listen to Murphy's victory speech to see what could be done and it is a voice and a message that has resonance either side of the border.

But Ed wants to do big philosophical pieces about the squeezed middle and the predators. No one in the real world understands what the hell he is talking about and Scots frankly don't care.
  • Options

On the Smith Commission 30% say it does not go far enough; 26% say it's about right; 14% say too far; the rest don't know. That does not look like a country feeling it has been betrayed.

We can probably treat that 30% as the SNP new bedrock.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    Might change their perspective on EVFEL a bit.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I agree and in an election where the Unionist vote is splitting at least 3 ways that means serious trouble for the incumbents.
  • Options

Fair enough, but early days yet - we haven't seen the actual proposals from the parties, which are widely believed to be rather less than the Commission proposals.

It's also notable that that balance is also in reverse to the Yes/No result in indyref, hinting that there was a subpopulation which voted No on the understanding that there would be serious devomax, as indeed must have been the whole motivation behind Mr Cameron et al's 'Vow':

'But even those who voted No in September give the package a pretty lukewarm reception; only 38% think the proposals are about right, not much more than the combined proportion of those who think they go far (22%) or not far enough (9%).'

• Options
    "I've just seen a tweet showing Hills offering 6/1 on Salmond becoming a minister in a Miliband government."

That would be the political equivalent of putting a wolverine in a cage with an sick rabbit.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Yes - it's about the same level as the historical pro-independence part of the Scottish population.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    So, if this pans out, Miliband would have to win 106 English and Welsh marginals for a majority, and about 50 to be leader of the largest party.

Oh dear...
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    As an SNP ex-Labour supporter from Stirling, which is a key marginal highlighted by Anti-frank in his excellent article of last week, I thought I would give you my perspective on the SNP surge and its likely impact in May 2015.

The majority of people joining the SNP are motivated, working, new to politics, aged 25 to 55 and from a range of socio-economic backgrounds. Therefore, I think the media portrayal of the SNP surge as being driven by blind faith cyber-Nats is way off the mark and if anything will only keep driving up SNP membership. Similarly the SLAB demonising of the SNP is counterproductive as around 40 % of its traditional support base are currently supporting the SNP.

Turning to the May 2015 election in Stirling, currently Ladbrokes have Labour at 4/9, SNP at 13/8 and Tories at 50/1. In 2010 the result was Labour 42%, Tories 24%, SNP 17% and LibDem 15%. In the referendum, Stirling was 60% No and 40% Yes. I think the SNP will win Stirling with around 40% support. I do not anticipate any significant Unionist tactical voting.

In terms of the GE2015 ground campaign, the SNP now have over 1500 members in Stirling, up over 500%. Candidate selection is underway with 7 good candidates, 3 with political and 4 with ‘’normal’’ backgrounds. The sitting SLAB MP, Anne McGuire, is retiring and the leader of Stirling Council (Johanna Boyd) is standing. Interestingly Johanna leads a SLAB/Tory coalition with SNP being the largest party, suffice to say SLAB and the Tories make uneasy bedfellows.

Looking at Scotland more broadly, I think the SNP membership surge is pretty much across the board. The focus on Yes v No %s is only relevant in a small number of seats, as the No/Unionist vote in most seats is too dispersed to combat the SNP. For example, even in the Borders where the Yes vote was only 33%, the SNP will still be nipping at David Mundel’s heels.

In terms of the incumbency factor, for many Unionist MPs this could end up being negative, even for the vast majority of sitting Labour/LibDem MPs who kept a low profile during the referendum campaign.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    calum said:

As an SNP ex-Labour supporter from Stirling, which is a key marginal highlighted by Anti-frank in his excellent article of last week, I thought I would give you my perspective on the SNP surge and its likely impact in May 2015.

The majority of people joining the SNP are motivated, working, new to politics, aged 25 to 55 and from a range of socio-economic backgrounds. Therefore, I think the media portrayal of the SNP surge as being driven by blind faith cyber-Nats is way off the mark and if anything will only keep driving up SNP membership. Similarly the SLAB demonising of the SNP is counterproductive as around 40 % of its traditional support base are currently supporting the SNP.

Turning to the May 2015 election in Stirling, currently Ladbrokes have Labour at 4/9, SNP at 13/8 and Tories at 50/1. In 2010 the result was Labour 42%, Tories 24%, SNP 17% and LibDem 15%. In the referendum, Stirling was 60% No and 40% Yes. I think the SNP will win Stirling with around 40% support. I do not anticipate any significant Unionist tactical voting.

In terms of the GE2015 ground campaign, the SNP now have over 1500 members in Stirling, up over 500%. Candidate selection is underway with 7 good candidates, 3 with political and 4 with ‘’normal’’ backgrounds. The sitting SLAB MP, Anne McGuire, is retiring and the leader of Stirling Council (Johanna Boyd) is standing. Interestingly Johanna leads a SLAB/Tory coalition with SNP being the largest party, suffice to say SLAB and the Tories make uneasy bedfellows.

Looking at Scotland more broadly, I think the SNP membership surge is pretty much across the board. The focus on Yes v No %s is only relevant in a small number of seats, as the No/Unionist vote in most seats is too dispersed to combat the SNP. For example, even in the Borders where the Yes vote was only 33%, the SNP will still be nipping at David Mundel’s heels.

In terms of the incumbency factor, for many Unionist MPs this could end up being negative, even for the vast majority of sitting Labour/LibDem MPs who kept a low profile during the referendum campaign.

How much traction does the issue of Armed Forces Day, brought in by the council [edit] reputedly to sabotage Bannockburn 2014, and the ensuing losses, have locally?

• Options
    Three points of general interest about the ICM poll:

1) I wonder what Nick Sparrow thinks of ICM conducting an online opinion poll?

2) UKIP were prompted for explicitly. This is, I believe, a departure for ICM. I wonder whether they will be doing this increasingly in future?

3) All the final Scottish referendum polls overestimated support for Yes by 2 or 3%. It is worth bearing that in mind when assessing the strength of SNP support.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Does anyone think the SNP's performance will be positively correlated with the overall Tory performance?

i.e. if (when) the Tories capture the elusive crossover in the polls, Labour's tombstone in Scotland will be firmly cemented in place?

OTOH, if Labour maintain an overall lead in the run-up to polling day, might some waverers return to the tribal fold?
  • Options
    calum said:

A key point: the SNP's huge membership will give them an unmatchable ground game in almost every Scottish constituency.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

Does anyone think the SNP's performance will be positively correlated with the overall Tory performance?

i.e. if (when) the Tories capture the elusive crossover in the polls, Labour's tombstone in Scotland will be firmly cemented in place?

OTOH, if Labour maintain an overall lead in the run-up to polling day, might some waverers return to the tribal fold?

It's possible. But I believe that there has yet to be a general election when the SNP's performance and the Conservative party's performance have been positively correlated.

Things, of course, may well have changed after the independence referendum.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    edited December 2014
    If there was a competiton to draw a professor, and you merged all of the entries to produce one picture, you would end up with a drawing of John Curtice
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    RodCrosby said:

One point has not been made today (at least in so many words, but similar views have been expressed).It may be relevant that IIRC Mr Miliband's approval rating (etc) tends to be poorer than Mr Cameron's in Scotland - remarkably enough.

Edit: But yes, I'd say likely Tory victory would help a little. Trouble is Labour have done their best to achieve Tory rule over Scotland during indyref, so a likely Tory win won't make as much difference as it used to, is my gut feeling. The Tories here are saying 'vote SNP get Labour' and Labour is saying 'vote SNP get Tory'!

• Options
    taffys said:

I have my doubts.

Hopefully, EdM will spend most of his time on Doncaster trying to hold his seat. It would be a huge help to Labour if that happened.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Lets leave Scotland for an hour or so.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4973/destruction-middle-east-antiquities
    How so called sharia law is destroying Muslim history and buildings.
  • Options

taffys said:

I have my doubts.

Hopefully, EdM will spend most of his time on Doncaster trying to hold his seat. It would be a huge help to Labour if that happened.

It would be a huge help if he lost it. But he won't. He is not that helpful.
  • Options
    Taffys

I have just worked out that, even if Salmond had no support in England (which I doubt given I saw him being enthusiastically received on a Liverpool QT the other week), today's sky high ratings in Scotland alone would make him statistically more popular than Nick Clegg across the UK!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

How much traction does the issue of Armed Forces Day, brought in by the council [edit] reputedly to sabotage Bannockburn 2014, and the ensuing losses, have locally?

:trollface:

Junior has disabled the 'flag' option....
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    taffys said:

I've just seen a tweet showing Hills offering 6/1 on Salmond becoming a minister in a Miliband government.

That would go down well in England.

I just don't see the SNP going into formal - ministerial position - coalition with either party. Even if the SNP have a total walkover and take 40+ seat.
  • Options
    If the SNP overtake SLAB in Westminster that looks like a massive long term disaster for Labour. But can Labour effectively fight for all the marginals in England & Wales and hold off the SNP surge in Scotland?

Time is running out for any switch of resources to have any material effect.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    The 3 Lib Dem holds are Ross Skye, Shetland and Caithness ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    MikeK said:

Lets leave Scotland for an hour or so.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4973/destruction-middle-east-antiquities
    How so called sharia law is destroying Muslim history and buildings.

We did that a few hundred years ago.. they're just a bit behind the times, that's all. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Carnyx said:

Trollface is an emoticon? What's happening to PB!!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,452
    @calum‌

Interesting, thank you.

One thought does occur to me though - if there is a huge surge of people who are 'new to politics', is this sustainable? We've seen massive surges of outsider parties in unusual events - the Greens in the 1980s over the poll tax spring to mind - who wither away very quickly when the going demands more of them.

I am not saying that will happen - only asking if you've seen any sign of it yet, or if it will be sustained until the GE.

A comparable phenomenon (although you won't thank me for it!) might be UKIP, which have been surging on the back of anti-politics feeling in England in recent months but much of whose vote is from those who were disenchanted before. If that remains the case, it might lead to a fall in support at an election - but then again, it might not.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited December 2014
    RobD said:

A progressive option...?

:dizzy_face:

Edited-to-Add:

Having done the colon-Alpha I wonder if a) this is an attempt to boost hits per post, or - more likely - b) a hideous expense on Junior servers...!

:smiling_imp:
  • Options

RobD said:

A progressive option...?

And just where can I peruse the collection of available emoticons?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I thought Orkney & Shetland, Ross Skye & Lochaber and Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk. But it would have been nice to have more detail in John Curtice's post (and on the Labour seats).
  • Options
    On topic, does this mean there's an equivalent upside for Labour where they pull just a little bit back and hold a lot of seats? If the SNP are strong where Lab have big majorities, presumably that means that if Lab do well enough overall to hold those seats a lot of the SNP votes will be getting burned up in those seats, rather than in more marginal ones.

This conversation really needs a spreadsheet with the Lab->SNP majorities and the per-constituency yes/no votes in it.
  • Options
    :k
    RobD said:

RobD said:

A progressive option...?

And just where can I peruse the collection of available emoticons?
    type colon followed by a letter from the alphabet (as mentioned above). :fearful:
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited December 2014
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought Orkney & Shetland, Ross Skye & Lochaber and Berwickshire, Roxburgh & Selkirk. But it would have been nice to have more detail in John Curtice's post (and on the Labour seats).
    Yes. It has to be those three.

What is amazing about the Scottish polls is that until early this morning [ I have not checked later ] SNP were ahead in only 16 seats in the betting markets. Even on the number of Labour seats , 25+ and 25- were both at 5/6.

Surely huge betting opportunities ? What are punters waiting for ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

What is amazing about the Scottish polls is that until early this morning [ I have not checked later ] SNP were ahead in only 16 seats. Even on the number of Labour seats , 25+ and 25- were both at 5/6.

I'm not waiting. I put £500 more on constituency bets on the SNP in Scotland this morning. This may be a set of losing bets, but I like betting on odds-on propositions at odds-against.
  • Options

If the SNP overtake SLAB in Westminster that looks like a massive long term disaster for Labour. But can Labour effectively fight for all the marginals in England & Wales and hold off the SNP surge in Scotland?

You should have a look at what is going on in the South East, Eastern and East Midlands. The Tories are losing even more seats and not all to UKIP. In fact, very few but thanks to them !
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    I shall cast my vote in Edinburgh South, which is a Labour/Libdem marginal. In 2010 it was L/LD/C/SNP/G: 35/34/22/8/2. My personal preferences are, in order, C/LD/L/G/S, probably fairly typical for a right-inclined voter. Though Conservatives generally abhor tactical voting, here is a good case for tactically voting LibDem: "minimax regret", i.e. the least worst outcome, may be the best we can achieve.
    This constituency could be of interest to the bettors on here – can one find odds somewhere? (btw Edinburgh voted 61.1% No in the Indyref).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I can't seem to find a link to the tables of the ICM poll, anyone care to share?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

What are punters waiting for ?

The good lord and his Scottish constituency polling?

• Options
    geoffw said:

I shall cast my vote in Edinburgh South, which is a Labour/Libdem marginal. In 2010 it was L/LD/C/SNP/G: 35/34/22/8/2. My personal preferences are, in order, C/LD/L/G/S, probably fairly typical for a right-inclined voter. Though Conservatives generally abhor tactical voting, here is a good case for tactically voting LibDem: "minimax regret", i.e. the least worst outcome, may be the best we can achieve.
    This constituency could be of interest to the bettors on here – can one find odds somewhere? (btw Edinburgh voted 61.1% No in the Indyref).

Here you go:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/edinburgh-south/winning-party

How do you feel about tactically voting for Labour?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Lab 8/15, SNP 2, Con 10, LD 33, UKIP 100 [ Ladbrokes ]
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    ydoethur said:

@calum‌

Interesting, thank you.

One thought does occur to me though - if there is a huge surge of people who are 'new to politics', is this sustainable? We've seen massive surges of outsider parties in unusual events - the Greens in the 1980s over the poll tax spring to mind - who wither away very quickly when the going demands more of them.

I am not saying that will happen - only asking if you've seen any sign of it yet, or if it will be sustained until the GE.

A comparable phenomenon (although you won't thank me for it!) might be UKIP, which have been surging on the back of anti-politics feeling in England in recent months but much of whose vote is from those who were disenchanted before. If that remains the case, it might lead to a fall in support at an election - but then again, it might not.

The SNP won the 2011 Scottish parliament election with 45% of the vote, so this level of support is not entirely new for them.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

surbiton said:

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

What is amazing about the Scottish polls is that until early this morning [ I have not checked later ] SNP were ahead in only 16 seats. Even on the number of Labour seats , 25+ and 25- were both at 5/6.

I'm not waiting. I put £500 more on constituency bets on the SNP in Scotland this morning. This may be a set of losing bets, but I like betting on odds-on propositions at odds-against.
    Good man ! Do you think local punters are having difficulty believing these numbers ? After all, it took 50 years for the same to happen to the Tories in Scotland.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I like that comment!

• Options
    edited December 2014

surbiton said:

The bookies move the prices then too, they are allowed to look at polls
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I can't seem to find a link to the tables of the ICM poll, anyone care to share?

The link does work.

@guardian_clark: @TSEofPB @MSmithsonPB trying to upload full tabs
    https://t.co/4QAEvQEz21 Apols if it doesn't work!
  • Options
    isam said:

surbiton said:

This ICM poll is not much different to what we are seeing for the last two months. The problem with online polling is the sample .
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited December 2014
    On topic.

Amazing performance by The Tories and Dave to be only three seats behind Labour in Scotland.

Like Antifrank time to lump on some more on the SNP.

Shadsy's tweets last night indicated which way the betting markets are heading.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

This ICM poll is not much different to what we are seeing for the last two months. The problem with online polling is the sample .
    Except iirc the largest lead in Scotland post Indyref was by a phone pollster.
  • Options

On topic.

Amazing performance by The Tories and Dave to be only three seats behind Labour in Scotland.

Like Antifrank time to lump on some more in the SNP.

Well this morning he had SNP leading in only 16 seats !
  • Options
    I'm assuming Peter Oborne has had a bit too much festive spirits

With a party split over Europe looming, Owen Paterson could win the leadership if Cameron loses the general election

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/predictions/politics/11303574/general-elections.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

On topic.

Like Antifrank time to lump on some more in the SNP.

Well this morning he had SNP leading in only 16 seats !
    He was talking about the banded seat markets.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited December 2014
    Good Afternoon all - just going through yesterday's post as was without internet most of the day.

Someone in the previous thread asked about DC's relevance to a place like Glasgow Govan. My reply would be: as relevant as EdM is and as relevant as EdM is to Doncaster. He is one of the MPs who were parachuted into Northern safe Labour seats by New Labour without having any relevance to most of their constituents. Fortunately, many of those Labour MPs are no longer in the HoC.

There is a good skit on EdM in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/dec/27/-sp-ed-miliband-brief-encounter-hampstead-heath-stranger-than-fiction-ian-martin
  • Options
    edited December 2014

On topic, does this mean there's an equivalent upside for Labour where they pull just a little bit back and hold a lot of seats? If the SNP are strong where Lab have big majorities, presumably that means that if Lab do well enough overall to hold those seats a lot of the SNP votes will be getting burned up in those seats, rather than in more marginal ones.

This conversation really needs a spreadsheet with the Lab->SNP majorities and the per-constituency yes/no votes in it.

In broad terms, the SNP vote seems to be matching the Yes vote. That suggests there's limited scope for them to gain more votes in their North East heartland, but a huge swing underway in the central belt.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

I meant it wasn't worth waiting for the Ashcroft polls, you should be able to work out for yourself which ones to back based on past performance and the current national polls.

If you wait, for easily read widely available info to come out, released at an announced time so everyone interested in political betting is waiting for it, then you are likely to miss the value, and if you do get on before the bookie sees the polls, your account will be marked "rat" rather than "shrewd", and future stakes limited
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    If the SNP remains this high then are we going to see another referendum? And if so will they vote yes this time?
    I have to say I'm increasingly happy for them to go after staunchly hoping that they wouldn't last time.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,317
    edited December 2014
    Lab would get 10 seats on UNS, not 26 as per article at the top of the thread.

Curtice says 10 - for some reason his article hasn't been copied correctly.

(And has to be 10 otherwise total does not add to 59).
  • Options
    If you take the YouGov Scotland subsamples for December (17 polls) the medians are: SNP 43; Labour 25.
  • Options
    In the thread header, has someone just asked Prof. Curtice if he has ever considered voting Conservative?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577
    SeanT said:

Monty said:

If the SNP remains this high then are we going to see another referendum? And if so will they vote yes this time?
    I have to say I'm increasingly happy for them to go after staunchly hoping that they wouldn't last time.

If you read between the lines there are clues that the SNP leadership DON'T want another referendum, not quite yet. This is no doubt because they fear it would be lost, possibly by a bigger margin than last time. The economic arguments that defeated them in September have not gone away - currency, EU, central bank - and the idea of basing an economy on the price of oil has taken a terrible beating.

And if they lose another referendum within 5-8 years of the first then the idea is finished for 30 years and the SNP would be in deep trouble.

If I was an SNP leader/thinker, I'd seize the devomax powers, then constantly whinge and agitate for more (specially with weak minority govts in Westminster allowing maximum leverage); this would cause more grievance and divisions between London and Edinburgh, heightening the sense of separation, already intensified by devomax.

Then I'd go for another referendum in 10-15 years, with a very real chance of winning.

However Sturgeon, even if she is thinking this (and I reckon she is) has to deal with an influx of McJihadis, qaudrupling her membership, who are dead keen on a rematch asap.

I think there will be a re-engagement with UK politics, with Salmond standing for Westminster again, and the SNP looking like they will constitute a bigger political force after May 2015.
  • Options
    Monty said:

Not with the current oil prices, I suspect.
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    SeanT said:

Monty said:

If you read between the lines there are clues that the SNP leadership DON'T want another referendum, not quite yet. This is no doubt because they fear it would be lost, possibly by a bigger margin than last time. The economic arguments that defeated them in September have not gone away - currency, EU, central bank - and the idea of basing an economy on the price of oil has taken a terrible beating.

And if they lose another referendum within 5-8 years of the first then the idea is finished for 30 years and the SNP would be in deep trouble.

If I was an SNP leader/thinker, I'd seize the devomax powers, then constantly whinge and agitate for more (specially with weak minority govts in Westminster allowing maximum leverage); this would cause more grievance and divisions between London and Edinburgh, heightening the sense of separation, already intensified by devomax.

Then I'd go for another referendum in 10-15 years, with a very real chance of winning.

However Sturgeon, even if she is thinking this (and I reckon she is) has to deal with an influx of McJihadis, qaudrupling her membership, who are dead keen on a rematch asap.

Agree. I think the English may lose patience though if the Scots continue to agitate for greater and greater powers and there may be pressure from the English side for them to go eventually.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Monty said:

I think you are forgetting the other side of the equation: the supposed benefits of Union. If those turn out to be illusory or detrimental, the SNP need do nothing and wait for popular opinion to change to their benefit. The Union has very much had its last warning, and it would not take many people for public opinion to shift to a yes: about 1/19 on the actual result, fewer now.

Remember that much of the Unionist debate was about how screwed the Scottish economy would be, and carefully omitted discussing to what degree that was true of the UK economy. It positively gave the impression all was roses in the UK garden and that is a heck of a hostage to fortune.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Hope we either get more snow or a warm night, otherwise I suspect the road outside my house will resemble an ice rink tomorrow.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I think you are forgetting the other side of the equation: the supposed benefits of Union. If those turn out to be illusory or detrimental, the SNP need do nothing and wait for popular opinion to change to their benefit. The Union has very much had its last warning, and it would not take many people for public opinion to shift to a yes: about 1/19 on the actual result, fewer now.

Remember that much of the Unionist debate was about how screwed the Scottish economy would be, and carefully omitted discussing to what degree that was true of the UK economy. It positively gave the impression all was roses in the UK garden and that is a heck of a hostage to fortune.

Nae Warships nae mae,
    Govan, nae mae.
    Passports nae mae,
    East Kilbride nae mae.

And think of those bankers,
    The Ones who live in London or Sydney.
    The give us aour headquaters,
    Despite of our history of incompetence...!

Hoo, hoo, hoo. Hoo, hoo, hoo, ho!

And then think of the bennies,
    And just not those in Edinborough.
    Creaming expenditure;
    Despite demo-graphic-cahs!

When we kraal, can we send the police from Edinborough.
    Smash the boots on the English, from Carlilse to Middlesborough...!

Hoo, hoo, hoo. Hoo, hoo, hoo ho!

I lookah da mountains,
    Of rusty oil-rigs and eco-warriors.
    I pledge to Scotland that they,
    Belong nae to us!!!

When you troll, can yae nae paste,
    From Whinges-from-Somerset.
    If yae gae a second go,
    Can you try to grow a proper set...!

Hoo, hoo, hoo. Hoo, hoo, hoo ho!
  • Options
    Labour showing symptoms and signs of terminal illness. Let's hope it's quick.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Simon Heffer has some fun with his 2015 Almanac (many a true word is spoken in jest).

"July 2015

Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, makes a unilateral declaration of independence, justifying the move by the fact that neither coalition party (Cons & UKIP) has a single MP in Scotland.

Yvette Cooper becomes Labour leader. Her first decision is to sack her husband, Ed Balls, from the shadow cabinet.

August:

Confronted with a full-scale constitutional crisis following Scotland's unilateral decision to break up the UK, Prime Minister May is urged to send troops North of the Border.

Instead, she cuts off all funding from Westminster to Scotland, which allows an 8p cut in the basic rate of tax for all English taxpayers. Mrs May becomes the most popular PM in living memory.

In Scotland, however, support for independence falters as a financial crisis leads to mass sackings of public sector workers, welfare benefits slashed and taxes raised on alcohol. Inevitably, huge amounts of cheap whisky are smuggled back into Scotland from Northumberland.

In England, the new Tory/Ukip coalition promises a referendum on EU membership in six months. Brussels bureaucrats panic and authorise billions of euros to be spent on an advertising campaign to persuade the British people to stay in the EU.

Lord Tebbit threatens to go to court to challenge this 'illegal' use of taxpayers' money, but relents when Brussels says the money is not needed because it can rely on the BBC to act as a pro-EU propaganda machine."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2888053/Old-Heffer-s-Almanac-2015-Russell-Brand-humiliated-Germany-quits-euro-Balmoral-confiscated-Scot-Nats.html
  • Options

I'm assuming Peter Oborne has had a bit too much festive spirits

With a party split over Europe looming, Owen Paterson could win the leadership if Cameron loses the general election

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/predictions/politics/11303574/general-elections.html

If Paterson did ever become Leader , I suspect the Conservatives would lose 30% of their votes in the next GE.
  • Options
    Mr. T, depends on what's happening in euroland at the time.

Don't forget how bad the sovereign debt crisis was, is, and shall be in the coming months/years.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    antifrank said:

geoffw said:

Here you go:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/edinburgh-south/winning-party

That's a good example of something I wanted to raise more generally. As in the referendum campaign, we're hearing much more from the SNP side, but there was a No majority and the polls still show the SNP to be a minority of the electorate. If the non-SNP vote splits all over the place, the SNP will romp home. Is anyone trying to organise a "Unionist tactical vote" operation, and would unionist voters be up for it? For example, it'd be awfully tempting for a Unionist in Gordon to vote for whoever seemed likely to have a shot at stopping Salmond being their MP.

My impression, though, is that the only serious tactical vote action in Britain is the Lib<->Lab vote, which gsthers behind the stronger candidate with impressive discipline. It's not obvious that anyone else has got seriously into it.

• Options

antifrank said:

geoffw said:

Here you go:

That's a good example of something I wanted to raise more generally. As in the referendum campaign, we're hearing much more from the SNP side, but there was a No majority and the polls still show the SNP to be a minority of the electorate. If the non-SNP vote splits all over the place, the SNP will romp home. Is anyone trying to organise a "Unionist tactical vote" operation, and would unionist voters be up for it? For example, it'd be awfully tempting for a Unionist in Gordon to vote for whoever seemed likely to have a shot at stopping Salmond being their MP.

My impression, though, is that the only serious tactical vote action in Britain is the Lib<->Lab vote, which gsthers behind the stronger candidate with impressive discipline. It's not obvious that anyone else has got seriously into it.

Devolution looks like it's backfiring on Labour. Labour 1997-2010, criminally incompetent.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2014

There's always been massive anti-Tory tactical voting in Scotland too, apparently helping the SNP in some of those North East seats which we now know are deadset against independence. Meaning we could see the bizarre spectacle of the SNP's support actually FALLING in some of the seats they currently hold (as previous tactical votes by unionists unwind) while at the same time rocketing in some pro-independence areas.

Although, just to contradict myself, the rider is I'm not sure how much stock we can really put in Scottish opinion polls because respondents don't seem able to distinguish between their preferences between Westminster and Holyrood elections. That ICM poll yesterday also had a Holyrood voting intentions, which was virtually identical to the Westminster poll, which would be very odd considering the dramatic differences we've seen between the two different types of election in recent years.
  • Options
    Remember when the polls suggested that Yes and No at the Indyref would be almost neck and neck (or at most a few % apart)? No won by 10% in the end...
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    "STJOHN", (St.John, The Jumps, Occasional Horseracing Nod), is backing

Summery Justice 33/1 each way in the Welsh National.

He will like the ground and is at the lower end of the weights. It will be a real slog today in Heavy ground so at the price he looks worth a bet.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

You should have a look at what is going on in the South East, Eastern and East Midlands. The Tories are losing even more seats and not all to UKIP. In fact, very few but thanks to them !
    Err The Conservatives are not being replaced as the lead party in those areas. Labour are under a real and present danger of being almost wiped out in a stronghold that they have had for 30+ years.
This discussion has been closed.