Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It could be that telling the pollster that you’ll vote GRE

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It could be that telling the pollster that you’ll vote GREEN is a polite way of saying don’t know

With Green growth being the polling story of the week I thought the time was right to look at where expressions of support for the party are coming from.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    First up from the Office Christmas party!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Second!
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2014
    Good morning from rear of the Conga at Nigel's Xmas knees up.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Hmmm.

'All of this, as we shall see, is because of poor forward-planning by NHS pen-pushers who chose to save their own jobs rather than those of frontline staff.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2881469/The-REAL-reason-young-Britons-t-jobs-nurses-year-shipped-7-000-abroad.html
  • Options
    That report says it will struggle to get a LARGE number of MPs, something blatantly obvious to all us on here.

However my view is that they will get 5 to 10 MPs which is a huge platform for 2020.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited December 2014
    No its a polite way of saying "We're not voting for the Liblabcon party or UKIP"

In particular its a polite way of saying F off Clegg you Tory coalitioning traitor, we will vote for a proper beard, sandals and watermelon party.

Which is why the rise of the Greens is so toxic to the Libdems electoral prospects. Just when the Libdems were seeing an er.. Chink of light the Greens have done them in by splitting the beardiesandal vote.
  • Options

That report says it will struggle to get a LARGE number of MPs, something blatantly obvious to all us on here.

However my view is that they will get 5 to 10 MPs which is a huge platform for 2020.
    Indeed. A year ago tory knockers laughed at the prospect of UKIP getting anything like 5 MPs. Now they will claim its a failure if they do.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,067

Took quite a long time for the Lib/LibDems to move up from single figures.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Maybe it's a way of saying "I'm not going to vote" rather than anything else.The strong Green showing recently (sometimes equalling or even beating the Lib Dems) is a little perplexing.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

Someone calling themselves 'Nigel For England' thinks UKIP will do well. Hmmm, that's a surprise ;)

Re this post and Paul_Mid_Beds who is another renowned kipper waver on here, I don't think the Tories on here 'laughed' at the prospect of UKIP getting 'anything like 5 MPs.' As one of those Conservatives I have consistently suggested they would be lucky to get 'more than a handful of MPs.' I'm sure you have large hands but I fail to see a great deal of difference between 'five' and 'a handful.'

My £10 bet with Isam looks good: that the LibDems will have at least 4x as many MPs as UKIP.

Should UKIP manage to get half a dozen MPs I would call it a piss poor performance compared to all the hype we have endured, particularly on here.
  • Options

Someone calling themselves 'Nigel For England' thinks UKIP will do well. Hmmm, that's a surprise ;)

Re this post and Paul_Mid_Beds who is another renowned kipper waver on here, I don't think the Tories on here 'laughed' at the prospect of UKIP getting 'anything like 5 MPs.' As one of those Conservatives I have consistently suggested they would be lucky to get 'more than a handful of MPs.' I'm sure you have large hands but I fail to see a great deal of difference between 'five' and 'a handful.'

My £10 bet with Isam looks good: that the LibDems will have at least 4x as many MPs as UKIP.

Should UKIP manage to get half a dozen MPs I would call it a piss poor performance compared to all the hype we have endured, particularly on here.
    Says a renowned torch waver on here ....:-)
  • Options

Indeed. A year ago tory knockers laughed at the prospect of UKIP getting anything like 5 MPs. Now they will claim its a failure if they do.
    IIRC, this time last year the general consensus on PB was that UKIP would achieve ~5 MPs, but would struggle to get 10.

As UKIP polling changed, as with all other political parties, so did the predictions.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2014

Says a renowned torch waver on here ....:-)
    A renowned torch waver who appears to be trying to shift ground from "UKIP hahahaha you'll never get a seat" through "Well you might get Carsell, but Reckless is toast at the GE", to "anything less than half a dozen is piss poor", and hoping no one will notice. By May it's going to be "What 12 seats, my god that cr@p, any fool could see you should been able to get 20 with your eyes closed" ;-)
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    For those who don't know how hard Left the Greenies are - it's the cuddly safe option when asked by pollsters.

The LDs are poisoned by Clegg and being in bed with the Tories
    The Tories haven't been fashionable in decades
    Labour wrecked it last time
    Kippers are quite brazen about it

So that leaves the Greenies as a port in a storm. I'd be very surprised if 50% of the Green VI happens on the day. It'll stay on the sofa or go the Big Two.
  • Options

I think you'll find I said we will get 5 to 10 MPs, if you think that's piss poor then it's an opinion for sure. Personally I would call it a breakthrough.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Plato said:

So that leaves the Greenies as a port in a storm. I'd be very surprised if 50% of the Green VI happens on the day. It'll stay on the sofa or go the Big Two.

Its a protest poll, people hoping that a enough other people will agree to protest with them and tell the pollster Green to put pressure of Labour to either ditch EdM, or shift their policy more firmly to the left, no different to a protest vote in a by-election.

• Options

Hmmm.

'All of this, as we shall see, is because of poor forward-planning by NHS pen-pushers who chose to save their own jobs rather than those of frontline staff.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2881469/The-REAL-reason-young-Britons-t-jobs-nurses-year-shipped-7-000-abroad.html

The problem is that the "pen pushers" who were made redundant were often those involved in teaching and training, hence the reduction in training places.

And to show there is no organisational learning, both Medical School places and Postgraduate training posts are being removed next year.

The Department of Health is run by idiots.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    There is no rise of the Greens . In every single council by election since June where they have put up a candidate , their vote has fallen . In the last 4 weeks the fall in their vote has increased and their overall vote share is around 3% .
  • Options
    If half your would-be voters at the previous GE were either DNV or OTH, it would suggest to me a very flakey base which is unlikely to turn out at the next GE in the numbers suggested.

As mentioned, it does look rather like a protest vote for the ‘cuddly’ electoral element.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited December 2014

About a year ago, their response was "You haven't got any MP's in Westminster... 2nd doesn't count"

Now they say "you'll only get a few MP's etc"

Just old fashioned party politics from "Yes Minister" fans, they cant move on
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Hmmm.

The problem is that the "pen pushers" who were made redundant were often those involved in teaching and training, hence the reduction in training places.

And to show there is no organisational learning, both Medical School places and Postgraduate training posts are being removed next year.

link please
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, nothing wrong with Yes, Minister.
  • Options
    isam said:

About a year ago, their response was "You haven't got any MPS in Westminster... 2nd doesn't count"
    IMRC, that was in response to Farage taking part in the PM debates. - and at the time, correct.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited December 2014
    Mr StClare,

"IIRC, this time last year the general consensus on PB was that UKIP would achieve ~5 MPs,"

I think you may be misremembering.

The consensus (and I agreed with it) was that Ukip might do reasonably well in the Euros but their vote would melt like summer fog with the sunshine of the General Election - as usual.

Five seats would be a breakthrough, and a surprising one, but perhaps not so surprising at this stage.
  • Options
    isam said:

About a year ago, their response was "You haven't got any MPS in Westminster... 2nd doesn't count"

Now they say "you'll only get a few MPS etc"

yes its quite worrying that a racist party like UKIP is getting such support
  • Options
    To be fair, Mr. Root, it wasn't UKIP that wanted to 'make the whites angry'.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2014
    CD13 said:

Mr StClare,

"IIRC, this time last year the general consensus on PB was that UKIP would achieve ~5 MPs,"

I think you may be misremembering.

The consensus (and I agreed with it) was that Ukip might do reasonably well in the Euros but their vote would melt like summer fog with the dawn in thesSunlight of the General Election - as usual.

Five seats would be a breakthrough and a surprising one but perhaps not so surprising at this stage.

Morning Mr CD13, I'm sure that was said by some but not all - and quite agree with your conclusion.
  • Options

isam said:

IMRC, that was in response to Farage taking part in the PM debates. - and at the time, correct.
    No it was whenever UKIP did well in an election but didn't win, or achieved a good poll rating

All that happens is, as UKIP does better, their critics (followers of the parties hit by their support) raise the bar higher to make themselves fell better. It doesn't actually make any difference in the real world
  • Options
    Yup. I only did a short contract stint at their HQ but it was packed with make-work people and contractors like me.

Achingly slow to make decisions, wrapped up in political correctness and meetings about meetings. And memos about nothing. It was totally different to DWP where it was frantic.

I've never been so bored in my adult life - I read books to keep myself occupied.

Hmmm.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    On topic, what did the Greens score in the Ashcroft marginals? Always worth remembering that 2010 Greens are included in DNV/others so its not as bad for them as it might seem

• Options
    edited December 2014

isam said:

A racist party like the Tories is doing fine, seems there is a lot of it about.
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/deal/news/bob-frost-accused-of-racism-15560/
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Quite so, it wasn't, that was Labour treating its own core vote with contempt, but UKIP are condemned by what their leaders, councillors, PPC's et al say.
    Its a racist party IMHO, no doubt about it.

UKIP and Europe is a side show.
  • Options

There is no rise of the Greens . In every single council by election since June where they have put up a candidate , their vote has fallen . In the last 4 weeks the fall in their vote has increased and their overall vote share is around 3% .

They doubled their numbers of MEPs this year, to twice that of we LDs. I would not be so dismissive. Their policies are popular on:

http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

It seems there is a market for a party who opposes privatisation and austerity.
  • Options

They should form the "Bankruptcy and International Laughingstock Party" to more closely follow their needs.
  • Options
    I can't tell if this is a piss take or real

DPRK News Service
    @DPRK_News
    Supreme Leader Kim Jong-Un shows masterful prowess in providing field guidance to People's Army Cavalry Brigade. pic.twitter.com/GxNi2QcXQg
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    edited December 2014
    Speaking of opposing austerity, only a few days until the second, of a potential three, votes to see if the Greeks will have a president rather than fresh elections.

From what little I've gathered, it seems the EU bigwigs bleating about the evils of Syriza has increased the party's popularity, with some at least.

Edited extra bit: the presidential votes are on 23 and 29 December.
  • Options
    CLAPS
    Indigo said:

They should form the "Bankruptcy and International Laughingstock Party" to more closely follow their needs.
  • Options

isam said:

Woolas was promoted by Ed Miliband following Woolas' disgraceful race-baiting " make white folk angry " electoral campaign. Later, Woolas was expelled from Parliament for his racist activities. Labour is in no position to lecture anyone on racism.
  • Options

Speaking of opposing austerity, only a few days until the second, of a potential three, votes to see if the Greeks will have a president rather than fresh elections.

From what little I've gathered, it seems the EU bigwigs bleating about the evils of Syriza has increased the party's popularity, with some at least.

Syriza opening up quite a lead at the moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Greek_legislative_election#Graphical_summary
  • Options
    Mr Woolas being pwned by Joanna Lumley remains one of my favourite TV moments of that year.

She made him look like a complete numpty.

isam said:

Woolas was promoted by Ed Miliband following Woolas' disgraceful race-baiting " make white folk angry " electoral campaign. Later, Woolas was expelled from Parliament for his racist activities. Labour is in no position to lecture anyone on racism.
  • Options
    Am I alone in thinking that Lucy Powell (or whoever wrote the advice for Labour) had it right?

Let sleeping dogs lie. Don't keep poking them with a a large stick. Or, as labour and the Tories have done, make a few cosmetic noises and let then slumber on.

• Options

isam said:

They are all as bad as each other, some parties just have more friends in the media, or more effective whips offices and are better at throwing a damp blanket over these little brush fires. The Tories have councillors in place that have said disgraceful things and not been sacked, Labour promoted people who said disgraceful things, the LDs seem to lean more towards inappropriate sexual conduct, but it all sounds like a large helping of pot calling the kettle black.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    isam said:

You don't like 'Yes Minister'? Truly, UKIPers do say terrible and offensive things!

Greece still a basket case then? I guess it was pretty clear the money sunk in there was never coming back, or at the least not in anything like the timing or amount EU leaders promised.
  • Options
    Or the cat is out the bag and the dogs are howling. Throw them a bone and they'll settle again.

But the noisy EU can be relied on to bang tin cans.

Right, that's enough aphorisms (or whatever the grammatical phrase is).
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Am I alone in thinking that Lucy Powell (or whoever wrote the advice for Labour) had it right?

Let sleeping dogs lie. Don't keep poking them with a a large stick. Or, as labour and the Tories have done, make a few cosmetic noises and let then slumber on.

It might well be right, or at least the most effective stalling tactic for long enough to get to the GE, maybe, but it was also probably unworkable, as the leak of the advice shows.
  • Options
    North Korea is alive and well on PB and UKPR.More than one poll have shown strong Labour leads in the last few days but have generated scant mention and no headlines, why? Why have the two 5 point and one 7 point Labour leads not had much comment or publicity.Censorship of omission or denial of trend?
  • Options
    I think she was right - however writing that all down was asking for it to get leaked. She's made a Charlie of herself since.
    CD13 said:

• Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

You don't like 'Yes Minister'? Truly, UKIPers do say terrible and offensive things!

Greece still a basket case then? I guess it was pretty clear the money sunk in there was never coming back, or at the least not in anything like the timing or amount EU leaders promised.
    TBF never watched it, just seen the odd clip of politicians spinning/lying their way out of trouble to cover themselves... that's all people do on here.

Fair enough, but things should move on
  • Options
    Miss 64, you tinker. Aren't you commenting on it now?

Mr. Indigo, cheers for that link. But would it be enough for Tsipras to become PM?
  • Options

North Korea is alive and well on PB and UKPR.More than one poll have shown strong Labour leads in the last few days but have generated scant mention and no headlines, why? Why have the two 5 point and one 7 point Labour leads not had much comment or publicity.Censorship of omission or denial of trend?

Nobody bothers with outliers, Labour moving from 0% lead to 5% with you gov in the space of 48 hrs is not credible.
  • Options

Nobody bothers with outliers, Labour moving from 0% lead to 5% with you gov in the space of 48 hrs is not credible.
    Wasn't Populus back to 1% yesterday, or did I dream it?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I have seen much mention of it, and what it all means given other polls showing the Tories ahead. So certainly no censorship or omission. After that, it's just disagreement about whether the amount of mentions of those polls is sufficient (eg no headlines), which depends on the individual. Honestly, if that was serious, why do people jump for the conspiracy stuff so quickly?

But here's a headline quote from a few days ago

Following poor results for LAB from Ipsos-MORI & Lord Ashcroft YouGov ends the week with the party 5% ahead

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/12/19/after-the-most-intensive-polling-week-of-the-year-the-one-thing-that-we-havent-got-is-clarity/

North Korea, am I right?

Bloody ridiculous. Yeah, the conclusion is not the one I presume you seriously want, acknowledgement of a Lab trend, but opinion pieces need not, and the facts were included as you want. And I'm someone who has always thought Labour would win in 2015.

And now, off to the shops!
  • Options
    I'm stunned. You've never seen Yes Minister?

It's simply fabulous and just as true and coruscating as it was 30yrs ago. You won't regret watching the whole lot.
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

TBF never watched it, just seen the odd clip of politicians spinning/lying their way out of trouble to cover themselves... that's all people do on here.

• Options

You're having a laugh. Labour was polling almost 45% two years ago and now is almost entirely in the low 30%, the trend is only heading in one direction as even the briefest of inspections of the chart shows. Looking at the polls in the last three weeks Labour have averaged 1.5% lead more or less, something, but not much.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2015_United_Kingdom_general_election#Graphical_summary

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Plato said:

I'm stunned. You've never seen Yes Minister?

It's simply fabulous and just as true and coruscating as it was 30yrs ago. You won't regret watching the whole lot.

isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

I'd also highly recommend it. A good laugh.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

My guess is that the Government will win the Presidential vote - it's 100% by MPs, and lots of the small parties would lose all their seats if there was a forced election.

On topic, the Greens are in my canvassing experience quite hard to persuade - they've already realised that they're opting out of choosing the MP, and they're often not very interested in actual policy so explaining that I am much closer to their programme than the MP doesn't really work. What they're doing is expressing a fundamental dislike of the current choice of main parties, which they feel is hopelessly undermined by compromise and fudge. In that they overlap with a chunk of UKIP voters, but they generally don't care about immigration and do care about the environment in a general way (don't we all?), so the Greens are the more logical protest party. Many formerly voted LibDem, and they're often quite anti-Labour so by no means Red Liberals, though I think some may vote Labour tactically in the end under the pressure of the campaign.

That said, as Mike observes many were non-voters before, and chasing them is to some extent fools' gold.

• Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Life should move on, but I find Yes Minister so appropriate because, as you say, the techniques and tactics it portrayed are still so widely used - in addition to being very amusing and witty, I find it cathartic and helpful to see non-partisan political behaviours which all politicians use, but pretend only their opponents use. All politicians spin, we all know this, they obfuscate, and it is always important to keep that in mind, and that a party claiming to be better than others can only be so as a matter of degree, not from a position of not using the same techniques. Didn't grow up with the show, well before my time, but very instructive for my political attitudes in some ways.

But each to their own.
  • Options
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Perhaps it's all those students who thought they'd be paying £3000 at most for fees, but ended up paying £9000 ?

First time voters who have been listening to how much they were misled.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Mr. Indigo, cheers for that link. But would it be enough for Tsipras to become PM?

On the current polling it appears he is going to be 5 seats short of a majority (146/151), but I imagine he will find those from a minor party in exchange for the usual benefits. It looks like he only need to find another percent or so in the polls to be home and dry, if those idiots from the EU Commission keep bleating about it he will probably be in business.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

You are aware that you have posting privileges and can write pretty much what you want, within reason, aren't you? Feel free to start a debate on your subject of choice.
  • Options
    This may amuse our legal eagles https://twitter.com/MarkGSparrow/status/545725355404046336/photo/1

RT @gwak52: "@MarkGSparrow: My lawyer sent me a Christmas card. pic.twitter.com/MgwkFbUiNO" hedging his bets ☺ < LOL #Legal
  • Options
    Ms Plato,

"She's made a Charlie of herself since."

I think you're right, She's been as successful as Basil Fawlty in the "Don't mention the war" sketch.

But all parties do tend to take the electorate for fools. How does "we'll make cuts but they'll be nicer cuts" stack up as coherent political strategy?
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, a Labour executioner would give you a hug before cutting your head off :p
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I see Balls is trying to scare the female voters..why doesn't he just bleat "Coulson" like his leader...very effective.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

That's as maybe, unrealistic as it is, being anti-austerity is popular.

Personally I think the LD position of accepting that there will have to be tax rises as well as austerity is the economically and socially sane position. I can also see that it is never going to be an easy sell!

I have a lot of sympathy for Green policies outside their environmental core. They have a Utophian idealism that is rare in politics nowadays. Naive but inspiring, which is why they are popular with Foxinsox jr and his unwashed peers!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,980

The Greens are poor at fighting by-elections. That doesn't mean they won't get 5% or so of the vote.
  • Options
    54% sounds high, but remember:

-In these seats the Greens averaged 0.75% in 2010 vs 4% now, so if they retained all of their own voters (The longitudinal data I've seen they very nearly have), that accounts for 19%

-15% are within the 18-24 age bracket, of which the 18-21.6 yr olds wouldn't have been old enough to vote in 2010.

Take that lot out and you're probably looking at about half the 54% figure.

It's also worth noting the equivalent YouGov national figure also from a chunky sample) from their first 9 December polls had an equivalent figure of 26% (not sure if that's a phone v online or national v marginals difference)

Some more Green analysis:

http://www.ncpolitics.uk/2014/12/with-25-year-high-green-surge-gets.html
  • Options
    I was amazed EdM dredged that up for PMQs. Not like he was ever actually a politician either.

It was truly desperate.

I see Balls is trying to scare the female voters..why doesn't he just bleat "Coulson" like his leader...very effective.

• Options

Quite so, it wasn't, that was Labour treating its own core vote with contempt, but UKIP are condemned by what their leaders, councillors, PPC's et al say.

UKIP are no more a racist party than the Conservatives are.
  • Options
    The Green voter is a posh Kipper but that makes it respectable.

Posh kids have dyslexia, Kipper kids are thick

In posh circles ... "I think I'll vote Green next time" is respectable, whereas "I think I'll vote Ukip next time" is met with hilarity or scorn.

They're both NOTA really.
  • Options
    On Twitter a lot of Kippers stick PAI on their account names - do you know what it means?
    Sean_F said:

• Options
    Miss Plato, really? Brown was banging on about Thatcher right up to 2010.

And then Labour complains they'll inherit [if they win in 2015] a deficit, as if 1997-2010 was a time of which there is no memory.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Remembering an approximation of a quote out of the Mandy Rice Davies phrasebook..

"Well you would say that wouldn't you"
  • Options
    I recall Ken Livingstone blaming Mrs T for something just before he lost again to Boris.

And Owen Jones blaming her for middle-class people having better dress sense than 'chavs' whilst discussing his book on R5.

I was laughing so much I could barely breath in.

Miss Plato, really? Brown was banging on about Thatcher right up to 2010.

And then Labour complains they'll inherit [if they win in 2015] a deficit, as if 1997-2010 was a time of which there is no memory.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and the death of Philip Bradbourn means a Tory activist wakens today finding him/herself now an MEP. No doubt someone will know who it is and whether s/he has been adopted as a PPC for May.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Don't think I noticed the 7-point lead - where was that?

In general PB is a bit like the BBC - we all get wound up over threads that seem unhelpfully focused on someone else's success or priorities, but the bottom line is that it does its best to portray trends neutrally. Looking at most of the polls, I don't think there's a clear trend to Labour at the moment, though we have probably recovered a modest lead after a period where it had dropped to roughly level pegging. Where the Tories are in denial is that they think that 4 months of "Don't vote for Ed" is going to transform matters for them, where it's singularly failed up to now.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Remembering an approximation of a quote out of the Mandy Rice Davies phrasebook..

"Well you would say that wouldn't you"
    As would you.

Many of the Left attack both the Conservatives and UKIP as racist. That's unfair to both parties.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Many posters of all parties on here refer to the French as "frogs"... how they have the hide to criticise Kerry Smith is beyond me.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I don't think the electorate much care. They don't nearly get so worked up about wacist remarks as the elite do and expect them to. Unfortuately for Liblabcons demonisers the genreral public are more than capable of differenting the difference between someone who refers to chinks or even p***shops in casual conversation and a nasty thug who puts excrement through peoples letterboxes because they come from a minority.

The elite are very good at using the same word to imply that something that is basically not good manners is the equivalent of the third reich. Another such word is child abuse. Most people associate this with child molesters whereas the elite and their social workers describe loving parents who shout at or smack their children as child abusers, thus demonising those who don't agree with their destructive liberal nostrums.
  • Options

I have a lot of sympathy for Green policies outside their environmental core. They have a Utophian idealism that is rare in politics nowadays. Naive but inspiring, which is why they are popular with Foxinsox jr and his unwashed peers!

That is actually my biggest problem with the Green Party policies, leaving aside the economic stupidity of much of their industrial policy, such as:
    IN205 Democratically accountable industry: to their workforces, to the communities in which they operate and to wider society as a whole. Therefore, markets should have a role as servants to society (but not as owners and masters). Trades Unions, Cooperatives and community ownership all have a role in democratising control over production and socially-aware entrepreneurship can bring about benign change. International exchange of people, goods and services can be benign under appropriate governance.
    Which will have every corporation and business with any option to move overseas or outsource heading for the hills.

The rest is just such a lot of starry-eyed internationalist tosh which assumes that every other country in the world will agree with their laudable aims and not cheat or try and rip us off.

MG200 The Green Party's highest priority is the creation of a just and ecological world order in which environmental devastation is minimised and needs can be met without recourse to migration.

IP120 Existing centralised structures of governance, such as the EU, should be decentralised to appropriate and effective levels, depending on the issue in hand. International structures and institutions need to be transformed from being nationally-based to being based on confederations of (sub-national) regions or localities.

IP121 National governments should be encouraged to decentralise their powers and functions, increase real democracy internally and increase the localisation of production and consumption.

IN210 The scale of industrial production worldwide must reduce if we are to live in the UK and globally within environmental limits. However, we do not support deindustrialisation as a result of globalisation, which is in effect just offshoring existing industries to lower wage and often lower environmental standards elsewhere.
    XY001 Kumbayah is to be sung 6 times every day whilst holding hands where atleast two other people nearby, an additional verse of "We shall overcome" is considered optional, but strongly recommended. ;-)

Etc.

After a few minutes thumbing through their policies site (http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/) I find I have been shaking my head so much that my neck hurts.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,078

Good morning all and the death of Philip Bradbourn means a Tory activist wakens today finding him/herself now an MEP. No doubt someone will know who it is and whether s/he has been adopted as a PPC for May.

Another no user gets their snout in the trough, they will be doing a jig having won the equivalent of the lottery. All their arse licking has been worth it.
  • Options
    Funnily enough - here's Basil as EdM just mentioned today

RT @Hitchensfan: “@1rh: @Hitchensfan @dictionarycom pic.twitter.com/UxBXJ896cV” Or perhaps Norman Wisdom? https://twitter.com/PlatoSays/status/546241321275781120
    CD13 said:

Ms Plato,

"She's made a Charlie of herself since."

I think you're right, She's been as successful as Basil Fawlty in the "Don't mention the war" sketch.

But all parties do tend to take the electorate for fools. How does "we'll make cuts but they'll be nicer cuts" stack up as coherent political strategy?

• Options
    Mr. Palmer, if we got £3bn of funding doled out based on post count, I'd not complain ;)

Mr. Isam, whilst 'cheese-eating surrender monkeys' is a popular and more recent term, some of us traditionalists still like the short but sweet 'frogs'.
  • Options
    I can't help thinking that Kerry Smiths downfall was nothing to do with the Chinks remark but because he also dared to offend a tiny and intolerant minority that has undertaken a march through the institutions that would make Gramasci blush.
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Shocking admission.

I'm shocked.

I'm beyond shocked.

I thought you were interested in politics?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I can't help thinking that Kerry Smiths downfall was nothing to do with the Chinks remark but because he also dared to offend a tiny and intolerant minority that has undertaken a march through the institutions that would make Gramasci blush.

Once the BBC decided that Guy Gibson's dog could not be mentioned because he was called "Nigger", That was the beginning of the end and the politically correct loons took over. Incidentally, the Frogs often refer to the English as "les rosbifs" .
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Once the BBC decided that Guy Gibson's dog could not be mentioned because he was called "Nigger", That was the beginning of the end and the politically correct loons took over. Incidentally, the Frogs often refer to the English as "les rosbifs" .
    It was worse than that, its was because the dog was so called by a white male heterosexual war hero with a Victoria Cross. The BBC are completely happy for various rappers to use the same term in their lyrics at every opportunity.
  • Options
    Good morning everyone.
    One for @Plato
    How to gift wrap a moggy
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152913661432744
  • Options
    Incidentally, Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister can be had for under £12 on DVD. A bargain, if you haven't seen it (or need a last minute present).
  • Options

Only when they are being very polite
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,901
    Rose

"North Korea is alive and well on PB and UKPR.More than one poll have shown strong Labour leads in the last few days but have generated scant mention and no headlines, why? Why have the two 5 point and one 7 point Labour leads not had much comment or publicity.Censorship of omission or denial of trend?"

This made me LOL! One of life's two great lessons. A poll showing a large Labour lead is an outlier and never trust a man who tucks his jeans into his boots.

• Options
    @NickP

"Don't think I noticed the 7-point lead - where was that?"

I missed it too, until I checked the Wiki election page. Seems to have passed under most radars.

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/news/women-disproportionately-affected-by-economic-growth-without-wage-inflation
  • Options
    Roger said:

Rose

"North Korea is alive and well on PB and UKPR.More than one poll have shown strong Labour leads in the last few days but have generated scant mention and no headlines, why? Why have the two 5 point and one 7 point Labour leads not had much comment or publicity.Censorship of omission or denial of trend?"

This made me LOL! One of life's two great lessons. A poll showing a large Labour lead is an outlier and never trust a man who tucks his jeans into his boots.

a 3rd is never trust a man who does not drink
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    edited December 2014
    Mr. Roger, what if it's atrocious weather or he's going on muddy fields and is wearing wellingtons?

Edited extra bit: Mr. G, that's a bit unfair. [I'm not a proper teetotaller. I will very occasionally have a drink, but it's pretty uncommon].
  • Options

Mr. Roger, what if it's atrocious weather or he's going on muddy fields and is wearing wellingtons?

Edited extra bit: Mr. G, that's a bit unfair. [I'm not a proper teetotaller. I will very occasionally have a drink, but it's pretty uncommon].

MD still very dodgy
  • Options
    edited December 2014

isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Shocking admission.

I'm shocked.

I'm beyond shocked.

I thought you were interested in politics?
    I am but only recently really, and when it was actually on tv I was at primary school I think.. Never seen "The Thick of It" either

By the way, I am sorry for the childish one upmanship recently.. reading back some of those posts it looks so petty
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @Indigo

I accept all that. The major parties are corrupted by the handles of government (present and past) and UKIP is better defined by what it is against rather than what it is for. There will always be a need for a party of idealistic dreamers. I have voted Green myself in the past to put pressure on the major parties in much the way that kippers are doing now. I did not want a Green government, just one that was listening to them.

Incidentally is part of the Green DNV history due to the fact that many of them were too young to vote last time?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MD still very dodgy
    you don't have to be a piss head MD, an occasional one is fine
This discussion has been closed.