Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : December 18th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : December 18th 2014

Result of council at last election (2014): Conservatives 28, Liberal Democrats 18, Labour 2 (Conservative majority of 8)
Result of ward at last election (2014) :

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    1st perhaps?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    2nd!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    3rd.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Is it really plausible that North Korea (where they struggle to keep the lights on at night), is able to totally outwit Sony (who may have robots that are brighter than I am)?

Is it possible (I'm assuming that your answer above was no by the way) that North Korea had the money to pay people who could outwit Sony in such a way?

Well, maybe yes. But what would they pay? Unless you're a mad bad haircut fan it's hardly likely that the incentive would really be there - surely you'd just sell your story - no risk of prison, celebrity, money..

On balance I think something's wrong with this story.

I don't know.

Second things first...

It is known there is a small-ish group of people behind the vast majority of hack, virus sdk's, and providing other tools for "cyberware". Most are guns for hire.

The biggest botnet out there actually had a booking system, where you could book time and get access to 1000's of pc's to do what you wished with, akin to the old booking time on the mainframe.

But also you seem to think that Sony will have top notch security. That is absolutely not a given at all. They have been attacked and hacked before. In 2011, somebody took down the entire Playstation network and stole personal details of 77 million accounts.
  • Options
    4th
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    What's it about? I'm not dirtying myself by clicking on a Mirror link.
  • Options
    Eton College may be disappointed to discover that George is a former pupil. Fail by The Mirror.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2014
    GeoffM said:

Usual Class War nonsense from The Mirror, who can't even get the basic facts right.

'Union chiefs and opposition MPs tonight condemned the rise handed to the aide who, like Mr Osborne, went to Eton public school.'

Except Osborne went to St Pauls.

Anyway, it's always entertaining to watch MPs complain about excessive pay rises, in view of the whopping 9% hike in salaries they're getting in 2015.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited December 2014
    GeoffM said:

I did it for you.. Trouble is those hypocrites at the Daily Mirror.. Is that odious little **** Maguire still there, still quaffing the champers and in his limo.. How much do the others earn.. Let's see the Mirror payoill plus expenses and then we can talk. Until then they can STFU./
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    dr_spyn said:

Eton College may be disappointed to discover that George is a former pupil. Fail by The Mirror.

Just shows what a gutter newspaper it is.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited December 2014

dr_spyn said:

The Mirror is easily the worst newspaper in Britain, with coverage so slanted it makes the Morning Star look fair. Hypothetically if Cameron rescued a child from a river the Mirror would complain about the Tory PM doing a hard-working fireman out of a job.

It beggars belief that anyone buys the paper.

• Options

dr_spyn said:

Harriet Harman went to St Pauls too. Odd that The Mirror never mentions it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2014

GeoffM said:

I did it for you.. Trouble is those hypocrites at the Daily Mirror.. Is that odious little **** Maguire still there, still quaffing the champers and in his limo.. How much do the others earn.. Let's see the Mirror payoill plus expenses and then we can talk. Until then they can STFU./
    LOL....Getting Osborne's school wrong...

Doubt Maguire had anything to do with the story though, he wouldn't make that mistake, partly because the name St Paul's School (albeit the posh girls one) is very close to home.
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead by 5 points - biggest since October. LAB 35%, CON 30%, UKIP 16%, GRN 8%, LDEM 6%.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    lol - where's Peter from Putney? We have 2 outliers to your 1...
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight: Labour lead by 5 points - biggest since October. LAB 35%, CON 30%, UKIP 16%, GRN 8%, LDEM 6%.

Crickey....Tories all gone skiing?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

LOL....Getting Osborne's school wrong...

Doubt Maguire had anything to do with the story though, he wouldn't make that mistakes, partly because the name St Paul's School (albeit the posh girls one) is very close to home.
    Ha Ha. Is there a family connection now? Long school run from Kingston.
  • Options

OK, OK Nick, well it was fun while it lasted!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    glw said:

dr_spyn said:

The Mirror is easily the worst newspaper in Britain, with coverage so slanted it makes the Morning Star look fair. Hypothetically if Cameron rescued a child from a river the Mirror would complain about the Tory PM doing a hard-working fireman out of a job.

It beggars belief that anyone buys the paper.

The Mirror almost tried to run a story about Cameron letting two sheep drown.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-cameron-saves-sheep-drowning-1797168
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    glw said:

dr_spyn said:

The Mirror is easily the worst newspaper in Britain, with coverage so slanted it makes the Morning Star look fair.

I have to admit I tend to be pretty lazy in my newsgathering and so rely probably too heavily on the BBC for info, and there is a place for media that is very open about their own political position in their reporting, but whenever I read things from the Mail or Mirror and the like, it comes as a real shock to the system, notwithstanding the accusations of bias toward the Beeb. It's amazing how the little things can really change things. Like Cameron or Miliband attacks the other one and a paper describes their hate figure, as stunned or left reeling or something.
  • Options
    Some more interesting locals tonight, in reasonably competitive council areas I see. Interesting to see if LDs can begin a fightback in Kingston.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    So much for that Lib Dem revival-- back down to 6% and 5th place with YouGov.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The Daily Mirror bias comments remind me of former North Carolina senator Fritz Hollings, who remarked once that if the press saw Jesse Jackson walking on water, the headline would be "Jesse can't swim"
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Yes it is typical, typical badly researched class warfare nonsense. What reading age is that paper aimed at? 12?

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Crickey....Tories all gone skiing?
    At least I am consistent in querying the squiffy polls all over the place. Swings and differences must mean something. What?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,060

Are the public being too influenced by the mulled wine? These polls seem all over the place.
  • Options

OK, OK Nick, well it was fun while it lasted!
    lol - good sport. Personally I think the underlying position remains a Labour lead of 1. But who knows, really?

The party machines are a bit exhausted in Nottingham with one damn by-eleciton after another, but I think we'll hold Ollerton, even though it's the sort of area where UKIP could make some progress - they'll come 2nd, I reckon.

• Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195
    YouGov is a clear outlier- but labourites would be well to concentrate on the fact they squeaked 35%. That's the key - push the score to 35 and the Tories cannot win. Long, long way to go yet though.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Bobajob_ said:

YouGov is a clear outlier- but labourites would be well to concentrate on the fact they squeaked 35%. That's the key - push the score to 35 and the Tories cannot win. Long, long way to go yet though.

Maybe. Labour's occasional outliers still gets them to a winnable position at least, unlike the Tories, so I can see complacency remaining even now.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Bobajob_ said:

Poverty of low ambition defined in one post.
  • Options

YouGov the new Gold Standard?

:)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Let's hope none of the resident Nats see this...

@politicshome: Tomorrow’s Independent front page: Salmond hints at Scottish votes for English laws http://t.co/VMV7pAeitx
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2014

Lab and Greens collectively on 43%, getting closer to the figure the 1998-2005 German red/green government received.
  • Options
    Been out meeting new clients.

I assume this latest outrageous smear of a kipper has been repelled. I hate linking to it.

http://www.channel4.com/news/ukip-janice-atkinson-welfare-child-support

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    AndyJS said:

Lab and Greens collectively on 43%, getting closer to the figure the 1998-2005 German red/green government received.
    Labour are 2% ahead.

That;s the truth.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Let's hope none of the resident Nats see this...

@politicshome: Tomorrow’s Independent front page: Salmond hints at Scottish votes for English laws http://t.co/VMV7pAeitx

Hatred of Tories trumps everything else I guess, and eventually all conventions are tested and may be discarded as inconvenient. Even in their worst scenarios Labour will have more Scottish representation than the Tories (and even probably the Tories plus LDs given the high bar Labour are coming down from), so a Lab government would surely be easier on Scotland. What sense in throwing that away and potentially letting in the Tories or an unstable situation and potential future election where the Tories might do better? I presume the SNP have never formally promised to never vote on such things like Sinn Fein, so they'll make the decision in the best interests of their constituents - which of course would never involve a Tory government or even individual policy. Toryism is unscottish you know.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kle4 said:

eventually all conventions are tested and may be discarded as inconvenient.

Just imagine the wailing if Eck takes a place in the Lords...
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    dr_spyn said:

The dramatic fall in dead tree press readership has made the editors crazy for any "scandal" real or imagined.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Ollerton result Lab hold

Lab 1171 Con 533 UKIP 347 Lib Dem 24
  • Options
    I see the German Liberals (FDP) have shrunk so much that two German pollsters no longer list them except under "others". The AfD looks clear of the 5% hurdle now. Everyone else more or less unchanged.
    http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Convincing Ollerton result - UKIP will be disappointed. Pretty good turnout all round for mid-December. LibDems just surmount 1%...
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I say this every year, its festive season polling. Best to wait until the end of January, beginning of February after everyone has enjoyed the Christmas holiday season and then got over the lengthy festive hangover that is January. Even PB.com tends to get steadily quieter around now, I know that I have barely had time to catch up with the threads over recent days.
    Bobajob_ said:

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    AndyJS Tories/UKIP on 46%

NP Will create some difficulties for the CDU now their natural coalition partners have been overtaken by the AfD
  • Options

Convincing Ollerton result - UKIP will be disappointed. Pretty good turnout all round for mid-December. LibDems just surmount 1%...

If I were one of those 1% I'd actually be really interested in who else in the area agreed with me, or at least enough to bother voting for the same party rather than some tactical vote, as it is such a small group of people.
  • Options

Ollerton result Lab hold

Crickey all you need is a mini-bus to carry ALL the Lib Dem voters in Ollerton.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    edited December 2014
    Bobajob_ said:

YouGov is a clear outlier

Is it? This week YG themselves have had Lab twice on 34, and Populus have had Lab on 36.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    kle4 said:

Some more interesting locals tonight, in reasonably competitive council areas I see. Interesting to see if LDs can begin a fightback in Kingston.

Hearing unofficial lay that the LDs have won St James ward...
  • Options

Ollerton result Lab hold

It is 24 more votes than they got in both 2009 and 2013
  • Options

Ollerton result Lab hold

Onwards and upwards. Who knows another couple of years, and they might need a double decker.
  • Options

Ollerton result Lab hold

"Every journey begins with a single step" :)
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    timmo said:

kle4 said:

Hearing unofficial lay that the LDs have won St James ward...
    Correction the Tories have won St. James Ward sorry for that.... Misinfo from the count..
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    FaPT. @Easterross - "Is there an election in 2015?

2nd glossly leaflet from the Right Honourable and Noble Viscount this week."

Its funny you should mention that Easterross, I too have now just received my 2nd glossy leaflet from Sir Robert Smith, 3rd Baronet this week too. It now looks like 'operation save our Noble and Titled incumbent Scottish Libdem MP's' is under way. @JackW will be delighted at this news. :)
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Labour 5% lead.....http://i.imgur.com/11ZHp9I.jpg
  • Options
    LOL....how long have you been saving that link up?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I say this every year, its festive season polling. Best to wait until the end of January, beginning of February...

Tories told us to wait for October (Richard N)...then wait for November...then (Audrey) January...you reckon February?

Perhaps June?

But I actually agree that probably not much is happening.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Kingston St James's

Con 1123 Lib Dem 865 Lab 355 UKIP and Green not known

A swing from Con to Lib Dem
  • Options

fitalass said:

I say this every year, its festive season polling. Best to wait until the end of January, beginning of February...

Perhaps June?

I think it will take a little bit longer than that for the Miliband government to start dropping in the polls, particularly with the Tory civil war that will no doubt be going on in that scenario. Perhaps next autumn.

Night all.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @NickP, by June the Labour party will be settled back down into their Opposition benches and concentrating on their next Leadership contest. The end of January heading into February is when the polling should really start to liven up as the electorate finally turn their minds towards an imminent GE rather than just giving a snaphot of their mood on any given day. Its also worth remembering what happened to Scottish Labour's polling in the run up to the Holyrood election in 2011, a classic example of how polling complacency can turn around at the last minute and bite you in the behookie big time. :)

fitalass said:

Tories told us to wait for October (Richard N)...then wait for November...then (Audrey) January...you reckon February?

Perhaps June?

But I actually agree that probably not much is happening.

• Options

Kingston St James's

Con 1123 Lib Dem 865 Lab 355 UKIP and Green not known

A swing from Con to Lib Dem

other figures UKIP 206 Green 71 Green vote down as in every council by election since June

• Options
    The statement in the article that Nottinghamshire is, on present boundaries, an impregnable Labour bastion is utter nonsense. Since the city of Nottingham was removed from the county council in the 1990s it is easily winnable for the Tories in a good year for them, as 2009 showed. The Tories would have controlled the council numerous times in recent decades had Nottingham itself been excluded from the county council.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Matthew Goodwin in the Guardian:

"Why Ukip’s scandals don’t seem to be hurting its popularity

Ukip voters look at much of the media’s negative coverage and see an institution that reflects everything they loathe about modern Britain":

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/15/ukip-scandals-popularity-voters
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Is the definition of "outlier", poll that doesn't fit your expectation or desires.....
  • Options
    Reports of LibDems winning in Kingston seem to be grossly exaggerated. Where did the they come from?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Just in case it hasn't been mentioned here already: you can get a printed copy of the book of 2014 local election results for the London Boroughs, but only if enough people order a copy to make it worthwhile to print them:

http://data.london.gov.uk/2014-elections-book-print/
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Nope, its the definition of a polling survey that struggles to reach all the component parts of the electorate, and therefore needs to have different 'age/political preference' sections overly adjusted/weighted as a result. The Screaming Eagles noted that the December ICM fieldwork took four days instead of the normal two days to complete.

FaPT. @HortenceWithering - "Ah yes, don't like the findings = rubbish the poll"

I am really looking forward to auld biddy @HortenceWithering making a similar comment the next time that @MikeSmithson questions the methodology or sampling of a poll he feels strongly needs to be challenged as a result of any perceived inconsistencies in a PB article. I won't hold my breath.....

Is the definition of "outlier", poll that doesn't fit your expectation or desires.....

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Oh, in case anyone is interested in how the dent1stry went...

Before
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k96dhx5z3oysz96/5.jpg?dl=0

After
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm8lohz7u12c5u0/2014-12-18 21.56.46b.jpg?dl=0

2 hygiene sessions, 4 white fillings to replace amalgams, 5 implants and 11 crowns in Slovakia + bleaching (in Liverpool). Total cost about £7,700 plus around £1k in flights and accommodation. 6 visits over 2 years, I could have done it a lot quicker, but I'm a scaredy-cat and business and domestic issues also intervened to delay things.

• Options
    The dent1st is a genius. Virtually pain-free, the final bill was £1200 lighter than the initial quote, as he managed to avoid full sinus lifts and a root resection which English dent1sts said were necessary.

Girlfriend also had a couple of implants. Three English dent1sts said she was unsuitable as not enough bone. Slovak dent1st was not impressed.

Their method of clinical evaluation... and I kid you not... a finger and thumb external pinch of her jaw. His method? X-ray and full CT-scan (free of charge of course). Turns out she has above average thickness of bone...
  • Options
    I cannot rate them highly enough. Virtually pain-free, no complications, end to end service, free pickup (and drop-off) from either Bratislava or Vienna, free no-obligation consultation, superior methods and materials, perfect English spoken and written, accommodation sorted if necessary. Total cost about 1/3 to 1/2 of the rip-off prices here...
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Betfair 'most seats' is now level pegging for Tories (2.00-2.02) and Labour (2.00-2.04), and Tory Majority is shorter priced (6-6.2 vs 6.2-6.6)

Interesting times! This really could be a cracking GE for betting.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Betfair 'most seats' is now level pegging for Tories (2.00-2.02) and Labour (2.00-2.04), and Tory Majority is shorter priced (6-6.2 vs 6.2-6.6)

Interesting times! This really could be a cracking GE for betting.

Well, if you'd listened to me for the past 18 months you'd now be sitting pretty...
  • Options
    Re: dent1stry

www dentalholiday co uk/
    www facebook com/dentalholiday co uk

If anyone wants further info, drop me a pm or shout.
  • Options
    AndyJS, you obviously missed when Steph and Dom met Nigel Farage on C4. I really enjoyed the programme as an extension of Googlebox. But then I tuned in genuinely expecting to be entertained rather than converted to the UKIP cause under Farage. I wasn't disappointed on the entertainment front, and my opinion that Farage wasn't fit to run a whelk stall, never mind the country wasn't ever dented as result of this informative half hour of television. Those that criticised the other party Leaders who would not appear on this show really don't get it. Think about that Farage flight up in the air on the day of the last GE, and then take note of his spectacular crash in the plane as well as the polling booths.
    AndyJS said:

Matthew Goodwin in the Guardian:

"Why Ukip’s scandals don’t seem to be hurting its popularity

Ukip voters look at much of the media’s negative coverage and see an institution that reflects everything they loathe about modern Britain":

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/15/ukip-scandals-popularity-voters

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2014
    fitalass said:

AndyJS, you obviously missed when Steph and Dom met Nigel Farage on C4. I really enjoyed the programme as an extension of Googlebox. But then I tuned in genuinely expecting to be entertained rather than converted to the UKIP cause under Farage. I wasn't disappointed on the entertainment front, and my opinion that Farage wasn't fit to run a whelk stall, never mind the country wasn't ever dented as result of this informative half hour of television. Those that criticised the other party Leaders who would not appear on this show really don't get it. Think about that Farage flight up in the air on the day of the last GE, and then take note of his spectacular crash in the plane as well as the polling booths.

I know this might come as a shock, Farage doesn't want to run the country, and has said so on a number of occasions. Since he a) does not want to and b) isn't going to, even in coalition, why do people keep banging on about him not being fit to run the country. The real question if there is one, is is he fit to run a political insurgency and pressure group that wants to get the country out of the EU, I think there is probably room for doubt there as well but lets at least ask the right question.

Why dont people ask if Leanne Wood is fit to run the country ? She will probably have more seats than Farage after the election, and has more chance of being in a coalition. Ah, silly me, its because she isn't taking seats off the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Giggle. Russel Brand wins Plain English Campaign's "Foot in Mouth" Award

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/campaigning/awards/2014-awards/foot-in-mouth-award.html
    Russell was out on his own in the 2014 'Foot in Mouth' stakes. While we admire Russell's determination to open up a debate about democracy and the dire state of the world, we struggle to make sense of most of his comments. We wonder if that might be due to him being more worried about self-promotion than about making sense.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    RodCrosby said:

www dentalholiday co uk/

Why "dent1stry" instead of "dentistry"?

• Options
    JohnLoony said:

RodCrosby said:

www dentalholiday co uk/

Thought it was tripping the spam trap. Something was...
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Spam filter ? ;-)

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RodCrosby said:

Oh, in case anyone is interested in how the dent1stry went...

Before
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k96dhx5z3oysz96/5.jpg?dl=0

After
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm8lohz7u12c5u0/2014-12-18 21.56.46b.jpg?dl=0

2 hygiene sessions, 4 white fillings to replace amalgams, 5 implants and 11 crowns in Slovakia + bleaching (in Liverpool). Total cost about £7,700 plus around £1k in flights and accommodation. 6 visits over 2 years, I could have done it a lot quicker, but I'm a scaredy-cat and business and domestic issues also intervened to delay things.

There is a cheaper way. Avoid eating so many chocolates !
This discussion has been closed.