Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest Lord Ashcroft marginals poll is out

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest Lord Ashcroft marginals poll is out

The latest round of Lord Ashcroft marginal polling is out. He says Two types of constituencies feature in my last round of marginals polling for 2014. First, the next tranche of seats the Conservatives are defending from Labour; second, a selection of seats where Labour may be under threat from UKIP. I have also returned to the solitary Green constituency, Brighton Pavilion.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Remember how far ahead Labour were in Lord Ashcroft's Heywood and Middleton poll... Great Grimsby won't be voting for Austin Mitchell at the GE - I'd wager a good deal of the constituency switchers don't realise that so it is TCTC imo. I'm glad I'm on at 16-1 anyway.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    4-6 with Paddy Power is massive for the Greens in Brighton Pavilion. Just maxed on it myself.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited December 2014
    Wasn't it said on here that the Greens commissioned their own poll in Brighton Pavilion but didn't publish it as they were behind?

The only other seats I can see Labour challenging further down the list are the London based ones.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    Very encouraging numbers for UKIP, and quite encouraging for the Conservatives. Combined with the Ipsos Mori numbers, Labour have gone from polling Heaven to hell in 24 hours.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    What will surely worry Miliband is the lack of Green voters switching when asked about their own constituency. If they are getting 4% in the marginals that could be a big problem for Labour. I can't believe Ukip will get on average 14-15% in the marginals unless they're around 20% nationally.
  • Options
    woody662 said:

4-6 with Paddy Power is massive for the Greens in Brighton Pavilion. Just maxed on it myself.

Ye I've just taken £30 of the 4-6 in Brighton here too. Have 11-10 Labour there so I'm sitting on a slightly red book here but a 10% constituency lead is 10%.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

What will surely worry Miliband is the lack of Green voters switching when asked about their own constituency. If they are getting 4% in the marginals that could be a big problem for Labour. I can't believe Ukip will get on average 14-15% in the marginals unless they're around 20% nationally.

Not overall. The key for UKIP is to persuade local Conservatives in places like Grimsby, Rotherham, and Dudley North to vote for them tactically, to unseat Labour.

Where a Green isn't standing, I'd expect their votes to go to Lib Dems, Labour, UKIP, Conservative, in that order.

• Options
    Blimey it's all kicking off and I've no time to see what is going on!!!!

• Options
    F1: Ecclestone proves he's lost touch again, by proposing (again) a return to naturally aspirated engines:
    http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12472/9610936/bernie-ecclestone-will-again-propose-f1-returns-to-normally-aspirated-engines

Without the new engines some manufacturers wouldn't've stayed, and Honda wouldn't've come back.
  • Options
    It looks like this polling was done before the Autumn Statement, when the polls were definitely moving the Tory way. That may have stopped since.

It's all looking much as it has since the summer of 2010 - we are heading towards another hung Parliament. Now, though, the Tories seem to be in with a real shout of once again winning the most seats.
  • Options

It looks like this polling was done before the Autumn Statement, when the polls were definitely moving the Tory way. That may have stopped since.

It's all looking much as it has since the summer of 2010 - we are heading towards another hung Parliament. Now, though, the Tories seem to be in with a real shout of once again winning the most seats.

Bugger. We're doomed.

[take 2]
  • Options
    +£9.82 Greens
    -£18.74 Labour

in Brighton now.

Proof you can't always get a full green book on Constituencies.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    edited December 2014
    FPT

SouthamObserver said:

Murphy's most important task - and it is one that will probably not be achieved for a while yet - is to change the conversation. At the moment, the SNP stands in the face of Westminster and is able to blame everything that goes wrong on Westminster. It is the anti-Westminster party, much as UKIP is the anti-Westminster party in England. What Murphy has to do is ensure that the Scottish government is held fully accountable for the decisions it makes and that Scottish voters understand that it is the decisions of the Scottish government that have most impact on their day to day lives.

I said:

I agree with that but this is why he needs to be in Holyrood challenging Nicola Sturgeon every week, not being voices off in Westminster. If he does not stand for a Holyrood seat rather than a Westminster seat in May he will be making a serious mistake.

Ashcroft's Scottish polling in the New Year is going to be fascinating. Whatever its accuracy it will set the conversation.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited December 2014
    Ashcroft marginal poll & whatnot, - well done, on producing a VG thread at such short notice.
  • Options
    Re Mori - last night Mr Owls was pleading for Tory PBers to panic on the back of 1 ICM, John O failed to oblige.

should we return the favour now?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    DavidL said:

FPT

SouthamObserver said:

Murphy's most important task - and it is one that will probably not be achieved for a while yet - is to change the conversation. At the moment, the SNP stands in the face of Westminster and is able to blame everything that goes wrong on Westminster. It is the anti-Westminster party, much as UKIP is the anti-Westminster party in England. What Murphy has to do is ensure that the Scottish government is held fully accountable for the decisions it makes and that Scottish voters understand that it is the decisions of the Scottish government that have most impact on their day to day lives.

I said:

I agree with that but this is why he needs to be in Holyrood challenging Nicola Sturgeon every week, not being voices off in Westminster. If he does not stand for a Holyrood seat rather than a Westminster seat in May he will be making a serious mistake.

Ashcroft's Scottish polling in the New Year is going to be fascinating. Whatever its accuracy it will set the conversation.

SNP ahead on the first question in Ross, Skye and Lochaber, Lib Dems ahead on the second question.

Caithness, Sutherland will be clear as mud.

First and second questions to make grim reading for Labour in central belt heartlands.

That's my reckoning.

Biggest changes in first and second questions in Highland and Island seats, perhaps Shetland will be asked ?

• Options
    SO re Spurs.

I hesitate to post this as I've got deja vu in doing so BUT after a few lucky away wins and last night's actual performance (and vs Everton too in part) - might we start to hope the large unwieldy squad will start to come in to its own over the busy Xmas period with so many games coming up....

For example vs Man U, their bench is nothing like ours in depth- on paper anyway....

It's the hope that kills you.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Some thoughts on the previous thread about Jim Murphy and the SNP.
    Just how are Scottish voters going to react to remarks about North Sea Oil?
    BBC reports - 'The director of Premier Oil says no new North Sea projects are profitable with oil below $60 a barrel and the industry is "close to collapse". '

The standard bearer and catalyst for the SNP and independence is 'close to collapse'. This first of all rings alarm bells for the whole UK, but surely marks disaster for an independent Scotland.
    For both Labour and Conservatives it should mark a return to normal politics. The bigger UK economy is able to withstand these oil shocks. It seems to me that one thing we might see in the Budget is an announcement of measures to help the Scottish economy.
    The Conservatives cannot really expect much of a return for offering conservative policies in the new Scotland but they certainly ought to try and they can but hope. On the other hand, whether they deserve it or not, Labour ought to expect their traditional vote to hold up if they are at all capable of playing their cards right. Unfortunately.
  • Options

The standard bearer and catalyst for the SNP and independence is 'close to collapse'. This first of all rings alarm bells for the whole UK, but surely marks disaster for an independent Scotland.

You're fighting the last war here, the focus now is on GE2015 - "No" to independence was the best thing that could have possibly happened to the SNP.
  • Options
    "I have just been on the phone to Mike, and his initial cursory thought that this is bad news for Labour ..... "

Pass me the smelling salts!

Nice bar chart btw TSE.
  • Options
    What an interesting and absorbing election campaign this is going to be, one in which endless permutations are possible.
  • Options
    So, we had Wednesday off, but another episode of terrorist barbarism has emerged today:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30529178

Boko Haram has kidnapped dozens of people.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    There's a separate Red Box YG poll just out (paywall) showing a third of Green votes going to Labour if the "thinking about your constituency" question is asked. It's the only significant shift produced by the questiuon in that poll. the proportion sounds about right to me - perhaps half the Green vote is blank-wall solid, the other half is open to persuasion.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Pulpstar said:

You're fighting the last war here, the focus now is on GE2015 - "No" to independence was the best thing that could have possibly happened to the SNP.
    I would like to think so, from a hammering of Labour point of view.
    Its an interesting concept that pulling the economic rug from under an independent Scotland and exposing the economic lies of the party peddling that independence and ending the ambitions underpinning the existence of that party is good for that party.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL

Re Mori - last night Mr Owls was pleading for Tory PBers to panic on the back of 1 ICM, John O failed to oblige.

should we return the favour now?

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

FPT

SouthamObserver said:

I said:

SNP ahead on the first question in Ross, Skye and Lochaber, Lib Dems ahead on the second question.

First and second questions to make grim reading for Labour in central belt heartlands.

That's my reckoning.

Biggest changes in first and second questions in Highland and Island seats, perhaps Shetland will be asked ?

The key question is not whether the Lib Dems can hold on in their northern fortresses (the answer is yes by the way) but how vulnerable Labour are in the central belt and greater Glasgow in particular. If the current polling is sustained the odds on Labour being the largest party in the next Parliament are far too tight.
  • Options
    Bad news for Labour, good news for decent hard working Britons. Long may it continue.
  • Options
    It seems it is necessary to have a photo of Nigel Farage to 'sell' political commentary (as above) in the way newspapers have pictures of Lady Di on the front page to sell newspapers.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

FPT

SouthamObserver said:

I said:

That's my reckoning.

What the >50% Yes vote means in Glasgow is the thing for me. I would like it to mean the Lab-SNP margins are close thus giving me a nice profit once I cash out on the newly narrowed markets but not do anything like show SNP leads that would make me hold my positions open.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    Pulpstar said:

Next one will be much easier after London have shafted Scotland, the cry babies will regret voting for London having their hands up their jacksies
  • Options
    Less money wasted on a pointless bit of bureaucracy making people shuffle a load of papers to go somewhere they have a right to go either way, and immigration bureaucrat time freed up to do something more useful. Everybody wins.
  • Options
    This week's results are Ipsos Mori Con 3% ahead; ICM Lab 5 % ahead; Yougov Lab 0.8% ahead (on average); Populus Lab 2% ahead; Com Res Online Lab 1% ahead; Com Res telephone Lab 3% ahead, giving Labour an average lead of 1.5%.

• Options
    For darts fans and bettors. There's an excellent docu on iPlayer about the big names in darts - particularly Bobby George and Eric Bristow. Well worth a watch.

Barry Hearn @BarryHearn
    So excited - World darts starts today Our own Sky channel 1.25 million Prizemoney and 56000 punters. We did it together @OfficialPDC
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Next one will be much easier after London have shafted Scotland, the cry babies will regret voting for London having their hands up their jacksies
    Since you are unable to accept the sovereign will of the Scottish people, I suggest you pack your bags as promised.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Ladbrokes changes

Stevenage- Lab 13/8 to Evens
    Dudley North UKIP 4/1 to 3/1
    Plymouth Moor View UKIP 8/1 to 9/2
    Brighton Pavilion Greens 5/6 to 4/7
    Rother Valley UKIP 5/1 to 4/1
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    edited December 2014

Pulpstar said:

Its an interesting concept that pulling the economic rug from under an independent Scotland and exposing the economic lies of the party peddling that independence and ending the ambitions underpinning the existence of that party is good for that party.
    When the cuts come and people see that what Yes campaign said actually occurred, it will not be the SNP blamed. It will be the lying toerag unionist parties. Poverty beckons for the labour drones who helped the Tories and hopefully they enjoy their shafting when queuing in the rain at the foodbanks..
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    On the main theme, it's natural that the marginals lead is down as the national lead is also down (or vanished if we believe IPSOS-MORI, which should probably be bracketed with ICM as potential outliers). It's interesting to look at the 2nd question and see the variation, though as we've said before we have to be cautious about what is in effect prompting people to think about one particular aspect - e.g. voters in Pavilion must surely be aware that they have a Green MP, but it takes a specific prompt to "think about the constituency" to make them say they'll vote Green. My guess is that the correct figure is halfway between question 1 and question 2.
  • Options

SO re Spurs.

I hesitate to post this as I've got deja vu in doing so BUT after a few lucky away wins and last night's actual performance (and vs Everton too in part) - might we start to hope the large unwieldy squad will start to come in to its own over the busy Xmas period with so many games coming up....

For example vs Man U, their bench is nothing like ours in depth- on paper anyway....

He needs to sort out the defence and make sure Lamela never starts another game for us. They are clearly a lot fitter than they were, though. With Spurs it is as it has always been: one game at a time, expect the worst and once in a blue moon - like last night - get to be pleasantly surprised.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

When the cuts come and people see that what Yes campaign said actually occurred, it will not be the SNP blamed. It will be the lying toerag unionist parties.
    I'd hate to think what the cuts would be like if you didn't have Barnett or voted YES. Or would you prefer massive tax rises?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

When the cuts come and people see that what Yes campaign said actually occurred, it will not be the SNP blamed. It will be the lying toerag unionist parties. Poverty beckons for the labour drones who helped the Tories and hopefully they enjoy their shafting when queuing in the rain at the foodbanks..
    Look at the collapse in oil prices, and imagine the scale of the cuts in a newly Independent Scotland.
  • Options

SO re Spurs.

He needs to sort out the defence and make sure Lamela never starts another game for us. They are clearly a lot fitter than they were, though. With Spurs it is as it has always been: one game at a time, expect the worst and once in a blue moon - like last night - get to be pleasantly surprised.

0-0 vs burnley is as good as I'm expecting..... 1-0 defeat feared
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    Making obesity into a 'disability' is a ridiculous and dangerous precedent. Being grossly obese is a lifestyle choice pure and simple. I've seen enough TV documentary on the subject to know every single one of them without exception is superfat because of gross over-eating and nothing else. Cake addiction is not a disability. It may be a disease (as all addiction can become I suppose). But then all addictions should qualify. Will we know make minging, can't stand up, argue with a lamp-post drunkenness a 'disability'? Why the effing hell should the rest of society be obliged to accommodate the chronically weak willed?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Poverty beckons for the labour drones who helped the Tories and hopefully they enjoy their shafting when queuing in the rain at the foodbanks..
    You really do say some unkind things about your fellow Scots......do you somehow think that with $60 oil an independent Scotland would have been better off?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    What is that incessant whining noise?

It seems to have got louder since September 18th...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Scott_P said:

What is that incessant whining noise?

It seems to have got louder since September 18th...

MalcolmG's great big windy fanny. Must be the poor diet.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Making obesity into a 'disability' is a ridiculous and dangerous precedent. Being grossly obese is a lifestyle choice pure and simple. I've seen enough TV documentary on the subject to know every single one of them without exception is superfat because of gross over-eating and nothing else. Cake addiction is not a disability. It may be a disease (as all addiction can become I suppose). But then all addictions should qualify. Will we know make minging, can't stand up, argue with a lamp-post drunkenness a 'disability'? Why the effing hell should the rest of society be obliged to accommodate the chronically weak willed?

Should society accommodate people that have become disabled as a result of the choices they have made? I don't know. But if you are 40 stone and cannot move it seems pretty obvious to me that you are not going to be physically able in the way you would be if you were 20 stone lighter. Thus, you are disabled.

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited December 2014
    WOW!!! That IpsosMORI poll is something else ...... when did we last see one of the front line pollsters showing the Tories 3% ahead? Put a right curve in your ELBOW Sunil, rework your projection for tomorrow Prof. Fisher, admit it Nick Palmer ...... your boys just took one hell of a beating, your boys just took one hell of a beating.
    TSE - get out out those pots of deepest technicolor blue in readiness for a mega splash of a thread coming up soon surely.
    I notice that Sporting's GE Seats market is currently closed, it appears that they are about to adjust their prices.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

When the cuts come and people see that what Yes campaign said actually occurred, it will not be the SNP blamed. It will be the lying toerag unionist parties.
    Fortunately, we in Scotland do not have to experience the results of the lies, bullying, distortions of truth and outright bluster of an independent Fantasy Scotland run by the Yestapo of the SNP under Alec Salmond.

The one question you will not like to answer is: Why did the membership of the SNP soar immediately after Salmond resigned? Hint: It wasn't as an outpouring of grief at His departure.

And as Nicola Sturgeon remarked, if (ever) Salmond returns to (the hated towers and chambers down in) England, the MP's in Westminster will certainly be shaking in their shoes. They will be laughing their socks off at him.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Patrick said:

Should society accommodate people that have become disabled as a result of the choices they have made? I don't know. But if you are 40 stone and cannot move it seems pretty obvious to me that you are not going to be physically able in the way you would be if you were 20 stone lighter. Thus, you are disabled.

so from a legal prospective do you give them car park spaces by the door, or right at the back of the car park to force exercise ?
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Lord Ashcroft said he moved up the list to try and find the point where the Tories stopped losing seats. Wonder if it would be fair to say we have reached that point now.
  • Options

WOW!!! That IpsosMORI poll is something else ...... when did we last see one of the front line pollsters showing the Tories 3% ahead?

Er, last month's Ipsos Moro.
  • Options
    Part-ELBOW for the 7 polls so far this week, inc. MORI.

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,206
    Does someone have that link to that nice list of constituencies sorted by how winnable they were for the parties?
  • Options
    No Ashcroft VI poll for all of GB?
  • Options

WOW!!! That IpsosMORI poll is something else ...... when did we last see one of the front line pollsters showing the Tories 3% ahead?

Er, last month's Ipsos Moro.
    Must be an outlier then :)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

WOW!!! That IpsosMORI poll is something else ...... when did we last see one of the front line pollsters showing the Tories 3% ahead? Put a right curve in your ELBOW Sunil, rework your projection for tomorrow Prof. Fisher, admit it Nick Palmer ...... your boys just took one hell of a beating, your boys just took one hell of a beating.
    TSE - get out out those pots of deepest technicolor blue in readiness for a mega splash of a thread coming up soon surely.
    I notice that Sporting's GE Seats market is currently closed, it appears that they are about to adjust their prices.

Yep! IpsosMORI in Never-Never Land. Get ready to burn the Yule Log.
  • Options
    Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · Nov 24
    Con to Lab % swings at Westminster by-elections compared with GE 2010 for each seat. Average = 7.65%
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/537044601065197569
  • Options

No. The next poll will be in the New Year.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

No. The next poll will be in the New Year.
    Thanks for that!
  • Options
    @TelePolitics: Tony Booth: Will Ed Miliband win the election? 'In your f****** dreams http://t.co/xyvvlvuKMM
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Still not quite sure why the public should be forking out their hard earned cash to someone because they couldn't control themselves enough in the cake cupboard. Its an insult to people who were born disabled or disabled by accident or combat to have someone claiming the same benefits as them because they couldn't put down the icecream scoop.

• Options
    Patrick said:

Obesity may be caused by illness, as well as laziness and gluttony. I haven't had the chance to look at this judgement in detail.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Tony Booth: Will Ed Miliband win the election? 'In your f****** dreams http://t.co/xyvvlvuKMM

Nightmares, surely.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%

Your elbow has fractured
    7 polls have had Lib Dems at 6.6.8.9.10.12.14 65 divided by 7 is 9.3
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

This week's results are Ipsos Mori Con 3% ahead; ICM Lab 5 % ahead; Yougov Lab 0.8% ahead (on average); Populus Lab 2% ahead; Com Res Online Lab 1% ahead; Com Res telephone Lab 3% ahead, giving Labour an average lead of 1.5%.

I make it simple average of the 7 polls: 1.4% Lab lead

or if you prefer, the part-ELBOW weighted average: 1.2% Lab lead
  • Options

Patrick said:

If you are paralytically drunk and cannot move it seems pretty obvious to me that you are not going to be physically able in the way you would if you were sober. Thus you are disabled.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Nightmares, surely.
    Whoever wins in May, we lose.

• Options

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%

Your elbow has fractured
    No, no!

We have the LibDems on

128 out of 1649
    98 out of 1597
    77 out of 544
    49 out of 554
    74 out of 1302
    72 out of 587
    111 out of 1167

giving a total of

609 out of 7399 = 8.2%

There!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Less money wasted on a pointless bit of bureaucracy making people shuffle a load of papers to go somewhere they have a right to go either way, and immigration bureaucrat time freed up to do something more useful. Everybody wins.

Thats one view. The other is that a number of European countries have residency papers that are little more than a typed on piece of card, not the sort of secure document like a passport you might normally want to admit someone to your country. This means a) that we will potentially be forced to admit people on the basis of easily forged documentation and b) as a result they might not even be who they say they are, never mind a valid resident on the country they claim to be resident in. It's a right pigs ear. If we must admit other countries residents (as opposed to citizens) on this basis they should atleast be forced to introduce a secure form of ID to indicate this status. I wonder what the going rate is for a residency card in Bulgaria.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Tony Booth, " This is not play school ". LOL.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2014

Scott_P said:

Tony Booth, " This is not play school ". LOL.
    I liked: [Tony Booth] is said to be suffering from dementia, but was described by his interviewer, Robert Chalmers, as “more coherent than most serving MPs I have met.”
  • Options
    Child abuse inquiry: Police investigate three alleged murders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30534235

Tick tick tick....
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%

Your elbow has fractured
    No, no!

We have the LibDems on

128 out of 1649
    98 out of 1597
    77 out of 544
    49 out of 554
    74 out of 1302
    72 out of 587
    111 out of 1167

giving a total of

609 out of 7399 = 8.2%

There!
    So not only do you take an unbalanced sample with 3 Yougov polls to produce your average , you unbalance it even more by taking a Yougov poll as having 3 times the worth of an ICM poll .
    In addition you are taking the raw VI figure from ICM and ignoring the final adjustment ICM make which increased the LD VI figure from 11 to 14% .
    Suggest you rename your analysis as C*CKUP
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

Thats one view. The other is that a number of European countries have residency papers that are little more than a typed on piece of card, not the sort of secure document like a passport you might normally want to admit someone to your country. This means a) that we will potentially be forced to admit people on the basis of easily forged documentation and b) as a result they might not even be who they say they are, never mind a valid resident on the country they claim to be resident in. It's a right pigs ear. If we must admit other countries residents (as opposed to citizens) on this basis they should atleast be forced to introduce a secure form of ID to indicate this status. I wonder what the going rate is for a residency card in Bulgaria.
    The visa process only stops dementedly patriotic illegal immigrants, because otherwise they'd ask the person forging their documents to put down that they were a national of the EU country producing the document, instead of their actual country, and thus avoid the whole officious circus.

Outside the obvious bureaucratic job preservation motivation it's also not obvious why they insist on people repeating the whole bastard thing every 6 months, as if they're going to use a genuine document the first time then switch to a fake one.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Labour down on their vote share in 7 of the 13 seats.

Brighton Pavilion was a 1% Labour lead in July. It's now a 10% Green lead.
    Dudley N was a 13 point Labour lead in May. It's now 3
    Great Grimsby was a 12 point Labour lead in may. It is now 1.

Tories have deciding 'tactical' vote in all 4 Lab-UKIP marginals if they wish to use it.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Patrick said:

Obesity may be caused by illness, as well as laziness and gluttony. I haven't had the chance to look at this judgement in detail.

We should also remember that using the recommended BMI figures almost all professional rugby players are obese .
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    On Blomberg there is a story about a person who has just negotiated a 100 grand discount on a house in a London borough from the level one sold at in April.

We have been censored for mentioning the decline in the price of oil ( and petrol) recently, but property prices too are certainly softening.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%

Your elbow has fractured
    No, no!

We have the LibDems on

128 out of 1649
    98 out of 1597
    77 out of 544
    49 out of 554
    74 out of 1302
    72 out of 587
    111 out of 1167

giving a total of

609 out of 7399 = 8.2%

There!
    So not only do you take an unbalanced sample with 3 Yougov polls to produce your average , you unbalance it even more by taking a Yougov poll as having 3 times the worth of an ICM poll .
    In addition you are taking the raw VI figure from ICM and ignoring the final adjustment ICM make which increased the LD VI figure from 11 to 14% .
    In other words "I think you're understating the LibDems, which makes me sad"
  • Options
    On the polling...people always seem way too quick to spy a short term trend, like Autumn Statement has gone Labour's way, because found one poll stretching the lead.

The long term trend is clear that Labour have lost a huge chunk of support and the Tories have ticked up every so slightly, and it is now very close.

For the Tories though, close is not good enough at the GE, and there is no signs they have much chance of out polling 2010, something which historically is extremely difficult for a governing party. Plus they have lost a decent chunk to UKIP, many of which hate Cameron as much as Miliband and are willing to stick with that even if they end up with Miliband.

We could well be heading to Lib Dem's again being the power broker, despite in all likelihood doing incredibly badly at the GE (although I doubt as bad as the polls currently suggest).
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%

Your elbow has fractured
    No, no!

We have the LibDems on

128 out of 1649
    98 out of 1597
    77 out of 544
    49 out of 554
    74 out of 1302
    72 out of 587
    111 out of 1167

giving a total of

609 out of 7399 = 8.2%

There!
    Nope , in other words , you are publishing a load of CR*P
  • Options
    @May2015NS: Labour's lead falls to 1% in http://t.co/j83TeVu53L's Poll of Polls after today's Ipsos poll. Greens at 7%. http://t.co/cjuLKzyKBd
  • Options
    edited December 2014

That only stops dementedly patriotic illegal immigrants, because otherwise they'd ask the person forging their documents to put down that they were a national of the EU country producing the document, instead of their actual country, and thus avoid the whole bureaucratic circus.

It's also not obvious why they repeat the whole bastard thing every 6 months, as if they're going to use a genuine document the first time then switch to a fake one.

Forging something involving a piece of card and a typewriter for country A, its probably several orders of magnitude easier (and hence cheaper) than forging a credit card with secure RFIDs and holographic imprints from Country B. If you want to live in Country B you might not be able to afford 20 grand for a world class forger to make your ID, you might be able to get Mrs Miggins and her typewriter to knock you out one for Country A for 20 quid. With this ruling we have to take the card made by Mrs Miggins at face value, even if we have good reason to suspect that cards are habitually and frequently forged by people coming from that country, and even if we have good intelligence that said cards can be bought for a few quid.

Its bad enough that some EU countries are SELLING passports.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531995/Hundreds-thousands-outside-EU-head-UK-passport-loophole.html

• Options

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%

Your elbow has fractured
    No, no!

We have the LibDems on

128 out of 1649
    98 out of 1597
    77 out of 544
    49 out of 554
    74 out of 1302
    72 out of 587
    111 out of 1167

giving a total of

609 out of 7399 = 8.2%

There!
    A) The Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week) was introduced back in mid-August by Lord Sunil (the rag's proprietor and headline-finder pursuivant) purely as an alternative metric of any given week's polling data. It should not be taken as Gospel, and should always be compared with simple averages that seem to be more "traditional".

B) Regarding the ICM (and Ashcroft): we look at the final published figures and always try and see if the figures in their tables AFTER adjustment tally with what they publish. We assume 50% of DK and refused for their stated 2010 parties. And the same is true with all pollsters. We use the samples quoted in their tables, always checking that the data makes sense. Sometimes, thankfully rarely, there are cases where the published VI figures are at variance with the data in the tables even AFTER adjustment. We always use data that to the best of our knowledge is quoted in or derived from the tables.

C) This week's ICM gives LibDems 14% AFTER adjustment, so I'm not sure why you think we're quoting 11%. Do the maths: 77 of 544 is 14.15% to be precise!
  • Options

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%

Your elbow has fractured
    No, no!

We have the LibDems on

128 out of 1649
    98 out of 1597
    77 out of 544
    49 out of 554
    74 out of 1302
    72 out of 587
    111 out of 1167

giving a total of

609 out of 7399 = 8.2%

There!
    A) The Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week) was introduced back in mid-August by Lord Sunil (the rag's proprietor and headline-finder pursuivant) purely as an alternative metric of any given week's polling data. It should not be taken as Gospel, and should always be compared with simple averages that seem to be more "traditional".

B) Regarding the ICM (and Ashcroft): we look at the final published figures and always try and see if the figures in their tables AFTER adjustment tally with what they publish. We assume 50% of DK and refused for their stated 2010 parties. And the same is true with all pollsters. We use the samples quoted in their tables, always checking that the data makes sense. Sometimes, thankfully rarely, there are cases where the published VI figures are at variance with the data in the tables even AFTER adjustment. We always use data that to the best of our knowledge is quoted in or derived from the tables.

C) This week's ICM gives LibDems 14% AFTER adjustment, so I'm not sure why you think we're quoting 11%. Do the maths: 77 of 544 is 14.15% to be precise!
    A) you are living in a fantasy world there is no such thing as a Sunil on Sunday and producing an " average of polls " where one pollster has 9 times the weight/value of another is mathematically flawed .
  • Options
    Indigo said:

That only stops dementedly patriotic illegal immigrants, because otherwise they'd ask the person forging their documents to put down that they were a national of the EU country producing the document, instead of their actual country, and thus avoid the whole bureaucratic circus.

It's also not obvious why they repeat the whole bastard thing every 6 months, as if they're going to use a genuine document the first time then switch to a fake one.

Forging something involving a piece of card and a typewriter for country A, its probably several orders of magnitude easier (and hence cheaper) than forging a credit card with secure RFIDs and holographic imprints from Country B. If you want to live in Country B you might not be able to afford 20 grand for a world class forger to make your ID, you might be able to get Mrs Miggins and her typewriter to knock you out one for Country A for 20 quid. With this ruling we have to take the card made by Mrs Miggins at face value, even if we have good reason to suspect that cards are habitually and frequently forged by people coming from that country, and even if we have good intelligence that said cards can be bought for a few quid.

Its bad enough that some EU countries are SELLING passports.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2531995/Hundreds-thousands-outside-EU-head-UK-passport-loophole.html

Out of interest what's the country you're thinking of where you think the residence card for foreigners is really easy to forge but the equivalent identity card for nationals is hard to forge?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    Well the Ealing Central & Acton numbers have cheered me up. Hopefully some compensation for my misguided voting efforts of 2010!

Plus the other half of the Rentool households Lab-Green coalition will be pleased by the Brighton Pav numbers.

I agree that Lord A has pretty much found the limit of of Labour gains from the Cons. We really need the Scots numbers to see who will be largest party.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

If you are paralytically drunk and cannot move it seems pretty obvious to me that you are not going to be physically able in the way you would if you were sober. Thus you are disabled.

Not if you read the CJEU judgement, you are not.

The concept of ‘disability’ within the meaning of the directive must be understood as referring to a limitation which results in particular from long-term physical, mental or psychological impairments which in interaction with various barriers may hinder the full and effective participation of the person concerned in professional life on an equal basis with other workers. The Court emphasises that this concept must be understood as referring not only to the impossibility of exercising a professional activity, but also to a hindrance to the exercise of such an activity. The directive has the object of implementing equal treatment and aims in particular to enable a person with a disability to have access to or participate in employment. In addition, it would run counter to the aim of the directive if its application was dependent on the origin of the disability.

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/jcms/Jo2_16799

The CJEU, of course, is tasked with interpreting European law as laid out in various directives and regulations. It does not pluck its rulings out of nowhere.

• Options

Your elbow has fractured
    No, no!

We have the LibDems on

128 out of 1649
    98 out of 1597
    77 out of 544
    49 out of 554
    74 out of 1302
    72 out of 587
    111 out of 1167

giving a total of

609 out of 7399 = 8.2%

There!

A) you are living in a fantasy world there is no such thing as a Sunil on Sunday and producing an " average of polls " where one pollster has 9 times the weight/value of another is mathematically flawed .
    You really have no sense of humour, do you Mark?!

Next you'll be saying there's no such thing as Jack W's ARSE!!

I say again: ELBOW is purely as an alternative metric of any given week's polling data. It should not be taken as Gospel, and should always be compared with simple averages that seem to be more "traditional".

And do you take back your accusation that our analysis of this week's ICM is flawed?
    Post-adjustments, LD = 77 out of 544 = 14.15%. The unadjusted total is 51 out of 477 = 10.69%. We used the 77, not the 51.
  • Options
    My year is complete - I've just got a retweet from Alistair Stewart!
  • Options
    Mark is probably unaware that the week's data so far puts the LDs 0.7% ahead of where they were last week in ELBOW (7.5%).
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Out of interest what's the country you're thinking of where you think the residence card for foreigners is really easy to forge but the equivalent identity card for nationals is hard to forge?

Nationals have a EU passport.

• Options
    edited December 2014

The CJEU, of course, is tasked with interpreting European law as laid out in various directives and regulations. It does not pluck its rulings out of nowhere.

But it will inevitably mean companies being required to provide extra-large chairs, extra deep desk cutouts, special tools, wide doors, strengthened supports and lifting equipment, in other words extra expense for their business because people eat too much. Our competitors outside the EU must be laughing all the way to the bank.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

But it will inevitably mean companies being required to provide extra-large chairs, extra deep desk cutouts, in other words extra expense for their business because people eat too much. Our competitors outside the EU must be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Plus specially strengthened loo seats, handrails, elevators etc Is there a directive for subsidised food or extra large portions for the 'mass challenged'?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Jobs for the Metropolitan Liberal Elite Boys (and Girls)

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/dennis-sewell/2014/12/what-on-earth-qualifies-alan-rusbridger-for-an-academic-position/
    At high tables across the university, former journalists, broadcasting executives and quangocrats are increasingly occupying places of honour once reserved for scholars of great renown.

Ensconced in the master’s chair at St Peter’s College is the former controller of BBC Radio 4, Mark Damazer. The principal of St Anne’s is former Newsnight editor and Channel 4 executive Tim Gardam. Ex-Guardian and Economist writer Frances Cairncross is the rector of Exeter College.
    And now Rusbridger at Lady Margaret Hall.
  • Options
    That instantly made me think of My Sad Cat twitter account - it's very funny

@‌mysadcat
    Anorak said:

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%

Your elbow has fractured
    No, no!

We have the LibDems on

128 out of 1649
    98 out of 1597
    77 out of 544
    49 out of 554
    74 out of 1302
    72 out of 587
    111 out of 1167

giving a total of

609 out of 7399 = 8.2%

There!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Nationals have a EU passport.

People holding national ID cards from EU countries can enter the UK with that, no?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,450
    edited December 2014
    Plato said:

That instantly made me think of My Sad Cat twitter account - it's very funny

@‌mysadcat

Anorak said:

Lab 33.4%
    Con 32.2%
    UKIP 14.2%
    LD 8.2%

Your elbow has fractured
    No, no!

We have the LibDems on

128 out of 1649
    98 out of 1597
    77 out of 544
    49 out of 554
    74 out of 1302
    72 out of 587
    111 out of 1167

giving a total of

609 out of 7399 = 8.2%

There!
    @Plato

I was thinking more of Big Bang Theory

Sheldon: Why are you crying?
    Penny: Because I am stupid!
    Sheldon: That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because other people are stupid, which makes me sad.
  • Options

Mark is probably unaware that the week's data so far puts the LDs 0.7% ahead of where they were last week in ELBOW (7.5%).

Presumably ARSE ad ELBOW plus the others are trying to add to the sum of human knowledge as well as entertain. Doesn't Mark raise some valid points which could improve the accuracy of your ELBOW?
This discussion has been closed.