Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the Cyprus aftermath

13»

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Carola said:

'@ #GE2010 South Shields had the 5th highest number of postal votes, 36.2%, in UK - suggesting super effective local LAB organisation.' OGH

"super effective" - that's one word for it.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "South Shields is the only constituency never to have had a Tory MP since the 1832 Great Reform Act, acccording to @LabourHistory"
    https://twitter.com/KenReid_utv
  • Options
    David Milliband throwing the towel in? Let's hope his diplomacy skills have improved, if he's gonna work for the IRC.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2013
    Labour received the support of exactly 30% of the electorate in 2010, 520% on a 57.7% turnout:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/constituency/e19.stm
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    tim said:

Isnt South Shields the only constituency never to have elected a Tory or something?

Correct. Also according to Wiki:

With one exception (Arthur Blenkinsop), every South Shields MP since 1929 has been a cabinet member at some point in their career. Two of them, Chuter Ede (Home Secretary) and Miliband (Foreign Secretary), have held one of the great offices of state while MP for South Shields.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 5m
    David Miliband plans to quit as an MP for "big international job based in New York", close friend confirms to BBC

Edward Mayes ‏@eljmayes 5m
    So Ed Miliband has effectively ended his brother's career- not sure how the Labour leader spins that.

After all the criticism that Louise Mensch got on this site for stepping down to head to New York to be with her husband, I wonder if the same posters will direct the same criticism at David Miliband for heading off to New York and pastures new?
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Sorry to hear about DH. But it'll be a good test of the theory that UKIP is also a threat to Labour heartlands.

Not sure i've ever heard anyone say heartlands? I thought the idea was seats where a defection of a 1/3 each from Labour, Tory, and LD all defecting at the same time could win - which i assume limits it to marginals?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    fitalass said:

After all the criticism that Louise Mensch got on this site for stepping down to head to New York to be with her husband, I wonder if the same posters will direct the same criticism at David Miliband for heading off to New York and pastures new?

You can bet the Labour vote will go down. But it is not quite a marginal. However, more surprising things has happened.

This idea that Ed Miliband is responsible for David's departure to NY is preposterous. What was he supposed to do ? Acquiesce to his brother's coronation ? Remember, this is the Labour Party not some kind of monarchy.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    edited March 2013
    Delete
This discussion has been closed.