Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Comres online poll sees the Blues up by 3 points

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Comres online poll sees the Blues up by 3 points

It fits in with what we’ve seen in recent weeks and months with other pollsters, with there being very little between Tories and Labour, the Lib Dems will be delighted to see daylight between themselves and the Greens.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ..... again!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Mein Fuhrer - Starmer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30466832

has been parachuted into Holborn and St Pancras.

Greens on the slide...
  • Options
    Hmm ..... mildly interesting, for a ComRes poll.
  • Options
    Boris does great on the supplemental questions, until the serious one, the one that matters, running the country.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Do they normally have a sample size of 2,014? Coincidence with the year, or has there been a transcript typo somewhere?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited December 2014
    So Clegg is viewed as close to peoples' average views, but is so untrusted and derided it does him no good I guess. Edit - or the old standard of being too much in the middle, so apart from those who gave exactly in the middle scores, he appears too far left or right for everyone.

Funny to see Boris' rating drop in the 'give you first aid' question, given he has more 'super mayor' stories of involving himself in everyday incidents than the others. And that Clegg does so well in that category. Fluff question though it is, what about him makes people think he's at least just as worthy in that situation as the others?
  • Options
    Keir Starmer had the rules bent for him so that he could take the plum seat of Holborn & St Pancras in the epicentre of Labour’s North London luvviedom. There was one small problem – he only joined the Labour Party last November and under the rules candidates for parliament must have been a member for a year. For a friend of Ed this can be fixed – Labour HQ delayed the selection process until this month, when Kier will have been a party member for the required 12 months. Progressive Prosecco for the Public Prosecutor all round…

http://order-order.com/2014/12/13/milibands-favoured-candidate-selected-for-holborn-st-pancras-rules-bent-to-get-keir-starmer-safe-seat/
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Yawn and yawn again. We have now entered the festive? season and there won't be anything worthwhile in polling until 2nd week in January 2015, I suspect.

So man your bottles, crackers and mince pies and flop around in fuzzy disarray until the new year.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    In terms of right/left, people probably attach more weight to economic, rather than social, policies, which is probably why they rate the Conservatives as more right wing than Labour.

It also shows why left wing voters won't back the Conservatives to keep out UKIP.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    MikeK said:

Yawn and yawn again. We have now entered the festive? season and there won't be anything worthwhile in polling until 2nd week in January 2015, I suspect.

I agree, except I would extend that into February. Everyone's skint in January.
  • Options
    Dr. Spyn, I wonder how many will get that reference.

I'm glad I saw the rather good, if slightly long, Downfall prior to its parodies becoming so well-known.
  • Options
    The question "Give you first aid treatment in an emergency" ie if your life depended on it -

Farage and Johnson bringing up the rear.

It would be interesting to see the male/female analysis of the answers.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited December 2014
    Actually on reflection, this looks like a half decent poll for the Tories - only 1% behind Labour and with a juicy 18% UKIP share of the vote to seek to lure back at the GE.
    Whether this will be enough to prevent a red-dominated bar chart appearing at the top of tomorrow's thread header, we shall have to wait and see.
  • Options

The question "Give you first aid treatment in an emergency" ie if your life depended on it -

Farage and Johnson bringing up the rear.

It would be interesting to see the male/female analysis of the answers.

Indeed. Fortunately for both of them, I doubt most people would consider that their lives will depend on who their MP/PM is, so they can probably get a pass on that rating.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Actually on reflection, this looks like a half decent poll for the Tories - only 1% behind Labour and with a juicy 18% UKIP share of the vote to seek to lure back at the GE.
    Whether this will be enough to prevent a red-dominated bar chart at the top of tomorrow's thread header, we shall have to wait and see.

Rofl - you know the answer to your last point - we all do:)
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    I'm a bit surprised at the Prince Charles score, he's always been pretty close to the Greens.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    After his recent meeting with the political market maker at Sporting, Mike invited ideas from PBers on possible new spread markets they might offer at the GE. My suggestion would be the Lab+ Con percentage share of the UK vote.
    There has been much talk recently about the extent to which this has fallen but in fact tonight's ComRes poll shows this as being 67%, compared with 65% in 2010.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FPT:

Re. Keir Starmer being selected for Holborn & St Pancras:

Despite spending 5 years as DPP, he failed to secure any convictions for FGM. That's a serious failure IMO.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Having said that, the "atomic score" of UKIP and Tories are very close, as are Labour and the Greens. Lib Dems seen in the middle, Surprisingly, Clegg is seen there too ! I would have though he would be seen as a soft Tory.
  • Options
    So the politician most in tune with the Great British Public is, Nick Clegg.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Dr. Spyn, I wonder how many will get that reference.

I'm glad I saw the rather good, if slightly long, Downfall prior to its parodies becoming so well-known.

He almost deserves a Downfall spoof all of his own.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    WRT Turkey and Islam in the previous thread

I have a number of friends who are from the Islamic world (one of whom left Oxford for a year to spend it in the conservative hinterlands of Iran),

There is a common thread between what they say about Turkey, Pakistan and Iran. In each country there is a liberal metropolitan elite that is out of touch with the country as a whole. Partly because it is perceived that the liberal metropolitan elite is thought to have the run the country for their own benefit, the countryside has 'rebelled' and become more nationalistic/religious/conservative.

Thinking about it, perhaps there's not so much of a difference between Iran/Turkey/Pakistan and the UK...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    Progressives 49%*
    Regressives 51%

The nation is split assunder.

*Assuming others are all SNP/PC
  • Options
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-30450223

A Liberal Democrat MP has quit as a ministerial aide over transport funding in his Eastbourne constituency.

Stephen Lloyd has resigned as parliamentary private secretary to the Energy Secretary Ed Davey over "vague promises" for road improvements.

He criticised the government's "utterly lamentable" failure to fund improvements at an accident blackspot.

In a statement he said he felt Eastbourne had been "let down".

A transport investment strategy announced on Monday did not include a proposal to increase capacity to ease traffic at the blackspot on the A27 between Lewes and Polegate in East Sussex.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

In terms of right/left, people probably attach more weight to economic, rather than social, policies, which is probably why they rate the Conservatives as more right wing than Labour.

It also shows why left wing voters won't back the Conservatives to keep out UKIP.

Left wing voters will make the supreme sacrifice, if needed, to vote UKIP, even with that obnoxious Farage at the helm, to keep the Tories out. Why ? UKIP is seen as a temporary phenomena, the Tories are a permanent enemy.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

I'm a bit surprised at the Prince Charles score, he's always been pretty close to the Greens.

Does Charles Philip Arthur George support the Green policy for an elected head of state? I'd think a lot more of him if he did.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

FPT:

Despite spending 5 years as DPP, he failed to secure any convictions for FGM. That's a serious failure IMO.

When I first read this post, I thought you were implying that Keir Starmer went round performing FGM, but had failed to be successfully prosecuted.

I now realise that is not what you were saying at all.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

When it suits, see my earlier comments.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2014
    dodrade said:

Prince Charles may be close to the Greens (and Lib Dems) on the envoironment, but he is hardly close to the Greens on economic and nationalisation policies.
  • Options
    Also FPT, re 'Sharia' law and support from 16-24 year olds.

I think all people who support Sharia law should go spend 12 weeks living under it.

I suspect very few would continue to support it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    AndyJS said:

FPT:

How does it work? Is it the DPP's role to command the police to investigate things like FGM? Or can he and the CPS only deal with prosecutions brought forward by the police? If so, how many cases were given to them in that period?

I guess FGM is a crime where it is easy to know if a crime has been committed on a certain person, and less easy to know who to prosecute. But I probably guess wrong.

(I have shamefully little knowledge on the way the DPP and the CPS, the judiciary, and the various police organisations interact)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

After his recent meeting with the political market maker at Sporting, Mike invited ideas from PBers on possible new spread markets they might offer at the GE. My suggestion would be the Lab+ Con percentage share of the UK vote.
    There has been much talk recently about the extent to which this has fallen but in fact tonight's ComRes poll shows this as being 67%, compared with 65% in 2010.

A better bet, and truer picture, would % of the population (inc non voters) that vote for the big two

43% last time.. was in the 70% area 30 years ago

"I've been dreaming of a time when, the English are sick to death of Labour and Tory..."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited December 2014
    rcs1000 said:

WRT Turkey and Islam in the previous thread

I have a number of friends who are from the Islamic world (one of whom left Oxford for a year to spend it in the conservative hinterlands of Iran),

There is a common thread between what they say about Turkey, Pakistan and Iran. In each country there is a liberal metropolitan elite that is out of touch with the country as a whole. Partly because it is perceived that the liberal metropolitan elite is thought to have the run the country for their own benefit, the countryside has 'rebelled' and become more nationalistic/religious/conservative.

Thinking about it, perhaps there's not so much of a difference between Iran/Turkey/Pakistan and the UK...

Didn't see that coming...
  • Options
    Who are all these people who think that UKIP is to the left of Cameron? I've only ever met one person who holds that view - a guy I used to work with who wanted to see a Labour-UKIP pact.
  • Options

dodrade said:

Prince Charles may be close to the Greens (and Lib Dems) on the envoironment, but he is hardly close to the Greens on economic and nationalisation policies.
    Or, on inheritance !
  • Options

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-30450223

A Liberal Democrat MP has quit as a ministerial aide over transport funding in his Eastbourne constituency.

Stephen Lloyd has resigned as parliamentary private secretary to the Energy Secretary Ed Davey over "vague promises" for road improvements.

He criticised the government's "utterly lamentable" failure to fund improvements at an accident blackspot.

In a statement he said he felt Eastbourne had been "let down".

A transport investment strategy announced on Monday did not include a proposal to increase capacity to ease traffic at the blackspot on the A27 between Lewes and Polegate in East Sussex.

Are we close to an election ?
  • Options

Keir Starmer had the rules bent for him so that he could take the plum seat of Holborn & St Pancras in the epicentre of Labour’s North London luvviedom. There was one small problem – he only joined the Labour Party last November and under the rules candidates for parliament must have been a member for a year. For a friend of Ed this can be fixed – Labour HQ delayed the selection process until this month, when Kier will have been a party member for the required 12 months. Progressive Prosecco for the Public Prosecutor all round…

http://order-order.com/2014/12/13/milibands-favoured-candidate-selected-for-holborn-st-pancras-rules-bent-to-get-keir-starmer-safe-seat/

So, the rules of the party were obeyed.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,591
    edited December 2014
    AndyJS said:

FPT:

He is reliant on the police to investigate, then the CPS decide whether or not to prosecute, so can you tell me how many investigations were brought to the CPS for FGM by the police?
  • Options

Who are all these people who think that UKIP is to the left of Cameron? I've only ever met one person who holds that view - a guy I used to work with who wanted to see a Labour-UKIP pact.

Voters aware of UKIPs policies on the NHS and spare room subsidy?
  • Options
    Cameron to the right of Farage LOL.
  • Options
    Broken sleazy Labour on the slide?
  • Options
    Just had a proper look, this is the highest Con % with ComRes online since January 2013
  • Options

and,.........what are they ?
  • Options

Change since last poll: Lab 0%

So that's a no :-)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Well he could be. He could be to the right or above or below or any other position that he thinks might gather him a vote or two. It all depends on what the papers are saying at any particular time. Cameron has no political principles, but his wife might have.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

I think people see it in economic terms. e.g. Cameron likes cheap labour for corporate interest, while Farage is looking out for the working class.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

Left wing voters will make the supreme sacrifice, if needed, to vote UKIP, even with that obnoxious Farage at the helm, to keep the Tories out. Why ? UKIP is seen as a temporary phenomena, the Tories are a permanent enemy.
    It's because the people you see as "left wing voters" aren't actually all that left wing. They are left-leaning economically and right-leaning socially. They prefer UKIP to the Tories because UKIP seem like regular people, while the Tories seem like a combination of aristocrats and London professionals.
  • Options
    Oooh - From survation

We will have 2 English seat polls out next week and the first Scottish polling post Jim Murphy's appointment as SLAB Leader. Stay tuned!
  • Options

Well he could be. He could be to the right or above or below or any other position that he thinks might gather him a vote or two. It all depends on what the papers are saying at any particular time.
    Something which of course could never be said about any other individuals or parties. Cameron is definitely unique or egregiously at fault for it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well he could be. He could be to the right or above or below or any other position that he thinks might gather him a vote or two. It all depends on what the papers are saying at any particular time.
    Something which of course could never be said about any other individuals or parties. Cameron is definitely unique or egregiously at fault for it.
    Indeed, he should follow the principled Farage and change policy on the hoof

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/22/nigel-farage-policy-eu-migrants-ukip-mp-mark-reckless
  • Options
    My guess is that respondents were replying with a mix of economics and immigration in mind, which also happen to be the chief concerns of the people in the UK at the moment. It's the economic factor that brings UKIP to the left of the Conservatives.

As an aside, left wing and right wing aren't mirror opposites in terms of immigration. Right wing gets used a lot with respect to immigration where as left wing doesn't, but I suppose those surveyed could easily enough work out that 'open door' = 'left wing'.

• Options
    surbiton said:

and,.........what are they ?
    Ah..... last week they were .....
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Oooh - From survation

We will have 2 English seat polls out next week and the first Scottish polling post Jim Murphy's appointment as SLAB Leader. Stay tuned!

The Conservative share will be down. Most private schools broke up yesterday so it's holiday season.

Kind-of-kidding but not entirely. For all sorts of reasons polls will be pretty pointless until well into January.
  • Options

Change since last poll: Lab 0%

So that's a no :-)
    Ooops - force of habit :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Is is worth backing Patrick O'Flynn as next UKIP leader? He's currently 6/1 with Ladbrokes, and with major donors avoiding UKIP like a bad case of the clap, Dirty Desmond might become the dominant donor.

O'Flynn worked for Desmond at the Express for many years before joining UKIP and becoming an elected MEP.

O'Flynn according to reports was critical in getting Dirty Desmond to donate 300k, and the inevitable endorsement at the election for the Dailys Express and Star.

Could Dirty Desmond be the Cardinal Wolsey to O'Flynn/UKIP's Henry VIII?

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-ukip-leader
  • Options

Oooh - From survation

The Conservative share will be down. Most private schools broke up yesterday so it's holiday season.

Kind-of-kidding but not entirely. For all sorts of reasons polls will be pretty pointless until well into January.
    I agree that we are close to entering the holiday season when the C share tends to go down and the Lab share up.
  • Options
    TSE, I note that you do not refute the premise that Cameron is unprincipled, you merely state that other politicians are as well. On the basis that they are all liars if one is going to vote for anyone then one may as well vote for a liar whose lies most represent ones' views.
  • Options

Not to mention the neo-communists Green Party being on a par with Miliband and Labour.
    LOL !
  • Options

Oooh - From survation

I agree that we are close to entering the holiday season when the C share tends to go down and the Lab share up.
    That's a myth though.

There's no holiday polling variation.
  • Options

TSE, I note that you do not refute the premise that Cameron is unprincipled, you merely state that other politicians are as well. On the basis that they are all liars if one is going to vote for anyone then one may as well vote for a liar whose lies most represent ones' views.

Which pretty much sums up my philosophy as far as politicians and parties are concerned.
  • Options
    In the period Nov 13 to Jan 2014, the ICM phone con share was 30,32,32

The Lab share of the vote during the same period was 38,37,35

A year earlier, it was

Con 32,32,33, and Lab was 40,40,38
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Can someone please remind us of the accuracy of ComRes polls? Nevertheless other than 27th October it is the lowest Tory to Labour deficit since the summer.
  • Options

Which pretty much sums up my philosophy as far as politicians and parties are concerned.
    Indeed, Mr. Tyndall, but we can all try and make some money betting on the buggers, which is why, I hope, we are all here on this site.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

All politicians have principles and policies that change.

I prefer to vote not on the chap or lady who might or might not be a liar, but the one going to do best for the country, or more likely the least harm.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited December 2014
    Final ARSE 2015 General Election & "JackW Dozen" Projections Countdown for this year :

60 hours
  • Options

Oooh - From survation

I would have though that Christmas & the New Year would be a good time for any governing party on account of [relative] plenty of food and drink, holiday from work [but relatives to contend with], Christmas bonuses [if any] and annual salary reviews [if any].
    Equally I would expect things to turn sour by the end of January when the Christmas binging starts to appear on the plastic.
  • Options

I prefer to vote not on the chap or lady who might or might not be a liar, but the one going to do best for the country, or more likely the least harm.
    OMRLP then? John Loony will be overjoyed.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, it'd be better if we had a significant change to the approach of political reporting. Thinking about it briefly (putting off trying to get some work done), we want the best people at the top. But why would the best enter politics?

The pay is relatively low.

Job security (whether as an MP or being in government) is not good.

The media spotlight is intense and often completely unfair (cf Brown with the letter in the Sun, or the yacht insanity of the broadcast media).

Job security can't be improved upon due to the democratic nature of politics. Basic pay could be and should be hiked. The media's the main problem. It's forensic, even obsessive, over nonsense, but fails to convey the most simplistic aspects of important information (eg how many people still don't know the difference between deficit and debt?).
  • Options
    edited December 2014

John Loony saw sense, and joined the Tory party a year or so ago.

I did like it when a few years ago, a OMRLP proposal actually became law, passports for pets.
  • Options
    Bloody hell

David Cameron has been accused of an unjustifiable bid to “buy the general election” as it emerged that ministers have quietly slipped through an unprecedented hike in the amount that parties can spend during the campaign.

Before this week’s official start to the runup to the 2015 general election, the Observer can reveal that the Conservatives have ignored Electoral Commission recommendations and secured a 23% increase in spending. With the Tories having amassed a £78m war chest over the past four years, they can now funnel huge amounts of cash into key seats.

The change to the law on candidates’ election spending, passed without parliamentary debate, was made despite a direct warning by the commission against such “excessive spending to prevent the perception of undue influence over the outcome of the election”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/13/tories-david-cameron-buy-election-campaign-spending
  • Options

Bloody hell

David Cameron has been accused of an unjustifiable bid to “buy the general election” as it emerged that ministers have quietly slipped through an unprecedented hike in the amount that parties can spend during the campaign.

Before this week’s official start to the runup to the 2015 general election, the Observer can reveal that the Conservatives have ignored Electoral Commission recommendations and secured a 23% increase in spending. With the Tories having amassed a £78m war chest over the past four years, they can now funnel huge amounts of cash into key seats.

The change to the law on candidates’ election spending, passed without parliamentary debate, was made despite a direct warning by the commission against such “excessive spending to prevent the perception of undue influence over the outcome of the election”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/13/tories-david-cameron-buy-election-campaign-spending

That's appalling. They overspent and have then changed the rules to retroactively make it legal? Disgusting. Dirty, sleazy Tories.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Oooh - From survation

When was survations last scottish poll?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Alistair said:

Oooh - From survation

Start/middle of November I think.

Edit: Just checked, their last poll had a fieldwork of Nov 6th to Nov 13th
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Bloody hell

That's appalling. They overspent and have then changed the rules to retroactively make it legal? Disgusting. Dirty, sleazy Tories.
    Looks to me that they've got a big enough war chest to fight two elections.

A second election in a year would give Labour and Libdems real problems funding it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,449
    edited December 2014

Alistair said:

Oooh - From survation

Start/middle of November I think.

Edit: Just checked, their last poll had a fieldwork of Nov 6th to Nov 13th
    Mid-November in The Record.

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Scottish-Attitudes-November-Tables_1_46.pdf
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

It's because the people you see as "left wing voters" aren't actually all that left wing. They are left-leaning economically and right-leaning socially. They prefer UKIP to the Tories because UKIP seem like regular people, while the Tories seem like a combination of aristocrats and London professionals.
    Yes there are a hell of a lot of us that are left-leaning economically and right-leaning socially.

For years we decided that putting up with Thatcherite economic policies was a necessary price to pay to keep Labour and their loony left social policies out. However now the tories have bought into the loony left (Gramascian) agenda, its off to UKIP and if it means Labour win, thats just too bad.

Might as well have loony left idiots in power who have some compassion for the poor and unemployable than loony left idiots who care only for the rich.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'm significantly unimpressed by that move on election spending.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Oh it's fine, it's not the Tories' fault that people want to donate money to them and the other parties haven't got a pot to piss in.

Money = Free Speech

Theoretically it does have major betting implications.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, if money = free speech I should sew my lips together :p
  • Options
    Aside from the main story, there's something very notable in that report on campaign spending:

"The Observer has learned that ministers changed the law through a statutory instrument, the terms of which were not debated in the Commons, and which is more usually a vehicle for consensual changes in the law. A Labour source said that the move had not been spotted by them at the time and so they missed the chance to force a vote in the Commons."

It doesn't speak well of Labour party organisation. And what were the Lib Dems doing in all this?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, if money = free speech I should sew my lips together :p

Heh, it's a reference to donating in America

The Supreme Court held in Citizens United that it was unconstitutional to ban free speech through the limitation of independent communications by corporations, associations, and unions,[21] i.e. that corporations and labor unions may spend their own money to support or oppose political candidates through independent communications like television advertisements.[22][23]

This ruling was frequently characterized as permitting corporations and unions to donate to political campaigns,[24] or as removing limits on how much a donor can contribute to a campaign.[25] However, these claims are incorrect, as the ruling did not affect the 1907 Tillman Act's ban on corporate campaign donations (as the Court noted explicitly in its decision[26]), nor the prohibition on foreign corporate donations to American campaigns,[27] nor did it concern campaign contribution limits.[28]

The Citizens United decision did not disturb prohibitions on corporate contributions to candidates, and it did not address whether the government could regulate contributions to groups that make independent expenditures.[22] The Citizens United ruling did however remove the previous ban on corporations and organizations using their treasury funds for direct advocacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._Federal_Election_Commission
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I vaguely recall that. One of the good things about UK elections is the relatively small sums spent. Hiking it for no good reason is not on.
  • Options
    Before so people have an aneurysm, I disagree with what the Tories have done re campaign spending, and the way they did it.

Though it shows how crap Labour are in not spotting in, and desperately need a decent legal mind in the Commons.

Huzzah for Keir Starmer
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

Bloody hell

Really? From a frothing supporter of UKIP, Deputy Chairman Neil Hamilton, the epitome of 90's (Tory) sleaze.
  • Options

John Loony saw sense, and joined the Tory party a year or so ago.

I did like it when a few years ago, a OMRLP proposal actually became law, passports for pets.
    Perhaps he could no longer see the difference between the two parties. :-) (I am actually pulling your leg there but it was too good a chance to pass up.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Also FPT, re 'Sharia' law and support from 16-24 year olds.

I think all people who support Sharia law should go spend 12 weeks living under it.

I suspect very few would continue to support it.

Depends how anally it was implemented, I think you would be surprised how many people would quite like aspects of it, for example many people in inner cities would, I suspect, be quite happy to see burglars, shoplifters and muggers de-handed. Indeed, I suspect if such punishments were carried out at Wembley Stadium you would probably get higher attendances than you do at England matches.

Many might also agree with this Saudi Arabian public service message :-)

http://www.maniacworld.com/women-dont-drive.html
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Aside from the main story, there's something very notable in that report on campaign spending:

"The Observer has learned that ministers changed the law through a statutory instrument, the terms of which were not debated in the Commons, and which is more usually a vehicle for consensual changes in the law. A Labour source said that the move had not been spotted by them at the time and so they missed the chance to force a vote in the Commons."

It doesn't speak well of Labour party organisation. And what were the Lib Dems doing in all this?

The Lib Dems may well have supported it.

Remember they are going to really put their resources into about 75 seats.

So they can spend their funds more efficiently than the Labour party who will be putting their resources into may be 350-400 seats.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Tonight's YouGov/Sunday Times poll is

Con 32% Lab 32% LD 7% UKIP 16% Greens 7%
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I can't imagine that the giant unions will he holding back when it comes to divying-up their millions to Labour prior to the GE.
    The LibDims can hardly complain, after all it was they who prevented the overdue Boundary Commission's recommendations being implemented, thereby costing the Tories approx 10 seats net.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, two ties and the Kippers.
  • Options

Oh it's fine, it's not the Tories' fault that people want to donate money to them and the other parties haven't got a pot to piss in.

Money = Free Speech

Do you really want to get into the situation they have in the States where elections come down to who has the most money to spend?
  • Options

Money = Free Speech

Do you really want to get into the situation they have in the States where elections come down to who has the most money to spend?
    Absolutely not, see one of my later posts.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Betting post

Yougov poll shows 26% think Lewis Hamilton will be BBC sports personality of the year to 9% for Rory McIlroy

You can still back Lewis at 15/8

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/sports-personality-of-the-year/winner
  • Options
    TSE - what are the movements please on last week's Sunday Times/YouGov poll?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, whilst I hope Hamilton wins it's worth reminding people that Giggs for some bloody reason won in 2009, when it clearly should've been Jenson Button.
  • Options

TSE - what are the movements please on last week's Sunday Times/YouGov poll?

Changes since last week

Con (nc) Lab (nc) LD (+1) UKIP (-1) Greens (nc)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    Very tight now.
  • Options

Money = Free Speech

Apologies. I see now. As you have said before we need an irony or sarcasm symbol.
  • Options

Money = Free Speech

I have thought long and hard about this issue. Because it's two friends butting up against each other: free of speech, versus diversity of speech.

And I think we have to come down on the side of freedom of speech. It's simply too dangerous to disallow people from having a voice (i.e., say that someone cannot buy advertising time to promote their candidate), just because the consequences bother us.

Likewise, the rules on media exposure must be changed. If The Times or Sky wishes to pretend the Liberal Democrats do not exist, that is there concern.

Obviously the BBC is a problem, but it is one that can be sorted by simply closing it down.
  • Options

Money = Free Speech

Apologies. I see now. As you have said before we need an irony or sarcasm symbol.
    Indeed we do.

Anyone supporting this, should remember in the future, that their opponents could well be the well funded ones, and then life won't be fun.
This discussion has been closed.