Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the loan of the Elgin Marbles to Russia becoming an in

SystemSystem Posts: 11,706
edited December 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the loan of the Elgin Marbles to Russia becoming an international issue Marf gives here take

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First .... again!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    Is someone going to explain this to me? I am sure it is my fault.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    DavidL said:

Its not easy being a cartoonist. All the more reason not to use one on your christmas card without permission.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL, if you Google "Putin, shirt off" you'll have your answer .... it's really just having fun with the Elgin Marbles statue of the river god which most controversially has been lent to Russia's Hermitage Museum. It went on show today. If you Google 'Putin, shirt off, Siberian River' you'll get the shot I used for the head.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's neck and neck with Betfair's Overall Majority market:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/26589827/market?marketId=1.101416490
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    One of Marf's lesser cartoons. I suppose that the statue is supposed to be Putin, go figure.
    Trouble is that Marf is not a good caricaturist, although she is good on mood, usually.
  • Options
    I have been intending to make this comment for some time but the sad death of Jeremy Thorpe brings it to mind:

GE2015 will show the most significant party vote share increase since that of February 1974 in which Liberals increased theirs by 12.2% and that of 1983 first election after formation of SDP.

This time UKIP will increase their share significantly but as in the elections above I fear they will be seriously impeded by electoral system.

Now all GB has 4 parties making GE2015 the most interesting one psephologically for 41 years.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2014
    I like the cartoon Marf. Putin is suitable for "Your so Vain" you probably think this song is about you.....

But he is one that a few kippers admire....
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I like the cartoon Marf. Putin is suitable for "Your so Vain" you probably think this song is about you.....

But he is one that a few kippers admire....

@PEOPLEKIT: courtesy of @JasonElsom:
    You're so Venn!
    http://t.co/Ax5fVD6vZy
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I have been intending to make this comment for some time but the sad death of Jeremy Thorpe brings it to mind:

GE2015 will show the most significant party vote share increase since that of February 1974 in which Liberals increased theirs by 12.2% and that of 1983 first election after formation of SDP.

This time UKIP will increase their share significantly but as in the elections above I fear they will be seriously impeded by electoral system.

Now all GB has 4 parties making GE2015 the most interesting one psephologically for 41 years.

In 1974 the Liberals stood in nearly twice the constituencies as 1974. The number of voters shot up as a result though the number of seats only went up a little. A lesson for kippers and greens perhaps.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Observations / questions re Betfair Next Government market:

Lab is marginal favourite for most seats and marginally shorter for a majority than Con.

However:

Con/LD is shorter than Lab/LD
    Con minority is shorter than Lab minority
    Con/UKIP is an outside possibility whereas Lab/UKIP no chance

The above all seem to imply that despite being marginal outsiders on seats, Con has marginally more chance of being in Government than Lab (if neither has a majority).

Why is this? Is it that Con is the incumbent? Or is it thought LD is more likely to go with Con than Lab (ignoring any seat difference)? If so, why?

Historically and on fundamentals surely LD would prefer to go with Lab? Ashdown clearly stated they would have gone with Lab in 2010 if Lab had had a few more seats (but still fewer seats than Con). Also the concept of evening it up - ie make it 1-1 rather than going with Con two out of two - better for longer term positioning.

Final / other point - there is also Any Other Government at quite short odds - could it be that Lab is more likely to feature in this option than Con? If so, in what form? Lab/LD/SNP most likely?

Lab/SNP is far more likely than Con/SNP ?
    Well, yes. For the very obvious reason that the SNP have already flatly ruled out coalition with the Tories.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-snp-will-never-go-into-coalition-with-the-conservatives-nicola-sturgeon-vows-9862803.html

... and if Labour want a coalition with the SNP then they must scrap Trident.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11233496/SNP-name-their-price-abandon-Trident-to-put-Miliband-in-Downing-Street.html
  • Options
    ''If you Google 'Putin, shirt off, Siberian River' '' ... oh no, dear me no.
  • Options
    YouGov - Voting intention, 18-24 year olds
    Fieldwork: 2-28 November 2014

Great Britain
    Sample Size: 2112

Lab 34%
    Con 24%
    Grn 19%
    UKIP 11%
    SNP/PC 6%
    LD 6%
    oth 1%

Scotland
    Sample Size: 285

SNP 48%
    Grn 15%
    Lab 14%
    Con 13%
    UKIP 5%
    LD 4%
    oth 1%

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/jrfu2ekqp9/Results_Nov14_VI_18-24s_Website.pdf
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2014
    Tick tick tick tick...

MAIL: Yard 'hid top MP's name' in sex abuse inquiry

http://t.co/eDtOboz7Zq
  • Options
    MikeK said:

One of Marf's lesser cartoons. I suppose that the statue is supposed to be Putin, go figure.
    Trouble is that Marf is not a good caricaturist, although she is good on mood, usually.

Nearly right.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

There's a lot of competition

http://tinyurl.com/n4bsc3l
  • Options

If you Google 'Cameron, shirt off, Cornwall beach' ... oh no, dear me no.
  • Options

If you Google 'Cameron, shirt off, Cornwall beach' ... oh no, dear me no.
    Correct and I have no intention of, any more that you would enjoy looking at me on a Cornish beach (although we only go when its cold and wet, so my image might be a bit different from what I guess would be the overtrained Putin)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,570
    I like the cartoon. And I'm also a big admirer of Putin -would that we had a leader of that calibre. If we had, we might be something more than a rapidly declining US colony.
  • Options

Tick tick tick tick...

Was he guilty? Was there any evidence? IUPG? TBM?
    To be fair I imagine Cliff Richard would be aggrieved.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

I like the cartoon. And I'm also a big admirer of Putin -would that we had a leader of that calibre. If we had, we might be something more than a rapidly declining US colony.

Yep, it is always good to have a megalomaniac, tyrant and power addicted former KGB man in charge of a 'democracy'
  • Options

Tick tick tick tick...

Is he still an MP?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

MikeK said:

Nearly right.
    Unlike you on the Indy ref ........
  • Options
    Floater said:

MikeK said:

Nearly right.
    I was bang on on the indyref. Winnings = 400 quid.
  • Options
    Evening all :)

Nice cartoon, Marf!
  • Options

Floater said:

MikeK said:

Nearly right.
    Shall we ignore all your posts on the subject and then the long silence afterwards?
  • Options

Floater said:

MikeK said:

Nearly right.
    But lost on the one that mattered!
  • Options

I was bang on on the indyref.

LOL

No seriously.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

Help. it's getting painful now...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,460
    edited December 2014
    Back in London now, but Mum just shouted at me for pointing out that Elgin saved the Marbles from certain destruction.

"Well they're not going to be destroyed now! It's high time they were returned to Athens!"
  • Options

Floater said:

MikeK said:

Nearly right.
    You misunderstand.

Losing a battle is not the same thing as losing a war.
  • Options
    SkyBet - How many Conservative MPs will defect to UKIP before general election?

Two or more 5/4
    None 11/8
    One 3/1
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

MikeL said:

Lab is marginal favourite for most seats and marginally shorter for a majority than Con.

However:

The above all seem to imply that despite being marginal outsiders on seats, Con has marginally more chance of being in Government than Lab (if neither has a majority).

Why is this? Is it that Con is the incumbent? Or is it thought LD is more likely to go with Con than Lab (ignoring any seat difference)? If so, why?

Historically and on fundamentals surely LD would prefer to go with Lab? Ashdown clearly stated they would have gone with Lab in 2010 if Lab had had a few more seats (but still fewer seats than Con). Also the concept of evening it up - ie make it 1-1 rather than going with Con two out of two - better for longer term positioning.

Final / other point - there is also Any Other Government at quite short odds - could it be that Lab is more likely to feature in this option than Con? If so, in what form? Lab/LD/SNP most likely?

Well, yes. For the very obvious reason that the SNP have already flatly ruled out coalition with the Tories.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-snp-will-never-go-into-coalition-with-the-conservatives-nicola-sturgeon-vows-9862803.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11233496/SNP-name-their-price-abandon-Trident-to-put-Miliband-in-Downing-Street.html
    Won't happen (I think) confidence and supply most likely for Labour - surely in a well hung parliament.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

However:

Won't happen (I think) confidence and supply most likely for Labour - surely in a well hung parliament.
    Agreed.

They will cling on to Trident until the last rites.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Yep, it is always good to have a megalomaniac, tyrant and power addicted former KGB man in charge of a 'democracy'
    Is there meant to be an argument here somewhere?
  • Options

Floater said:

MikeK said:

Nearly right.
    You misunderstand.

The Indy campaign may need a bit of time to come up with a less half-baked proposal.

Then good riddance!
  • Options

philiph said:

No, just pointing out that I don't hold Putin in the same esteem as you
  • Options

For you my friend, the war is over...
  • Options

Floater said:

MikeK said:

Nearly right.
    You misunderstand.

Tipping point.
  • Options
    philiph said:

philiph said:

Good, I didn't think so.

• Options
    rogerh said:

Re previous thread on Ashcroft polling in Con/LD marginals. Am prepared to wager £50 that final UNS in England and Wales and UNS Scotland separately will be a more accurate at predicting LD overall number seat losses than the Ashcroft seat specific polls of Lib Dem marginals with Con, Lab and SNP. Opportunity for wager to only to first person to respond.

I agree with you. And I note that deafening silence ensued your kind offer. Nuff said.

Doubters, please do some research:

- at the 2007 Scottish general election the Lib Dems won 11 constituencies with 16.2% of the vote.

- at the 2011 Scottish general election the Lib Dems won 2 constituencies with 7.9% of the vote.

So, although they only lost 51% of their national vote share, they actually managed to lose 82% of their constituency MSPs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Parliament_general_election,_2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Parliament_general_election,_2011
  • Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195

DavidL said:

Its not easy being a cartoonist. All the more reason not to use one on your christmas card without permission.
    Talking of which, I read the fluff on Christmas cards in tonight's paper, and it got me thinking. Do PMs send Lotos cards as a rule? And vice versa? Anyone know?
  • Options

philiph said:

philiph said:

Good, I didn't think so.

Do you find the statue in Marf's cartoon - shall we say - "arousing"?

:)
  • Options
    Bobajob_ said:

DavidL said:

Talking of which, I read the fluff on Christmas cards in tonight's paper, and it got me thinking. Do PMs send Lotos cards as a rule? And vice versa? Anyone know?
    Yes - from Moonpig with printed signatures
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited December 2014
    Scott_P said:

For you my friend, the war is over...
    Ho ho.

This from the punter who called Edinburgh South West as a rock-solid CON GAIN.

Here was the actual result:

Lab (Alistair Darling MP) 19,473
    Con 11,026
    LD 8,194
    SNP 5,530
    Grn 872
    SSP 319
    Com 48

You were so close Scott.
  • Options

He's not going to win it next time... :-)
  • Options
    philiph said:

Tick tick tick tick...

Is he still an MP?
    Who knows. Innocent people should be allowed to get on with their lives. Guilty people should be prosecuted. Speculations should not be paraded as facts
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

philiph said:

philiph said:

Good, I didn't think so.

Surely thats not Ratty between Putins loins?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The problem is Scott, you told everyone here at PB that he wasn't going to win it in 2010. You were quite emphatic on that point. Jason Rust MP was a certainty.

I'm afraid that your credibility is hovering around the zilch level. Always has been.
  • Options

The problem is Scott, you told everyone here at PB that he wasn't going to win it in 2010

Oh Stuart.

I am glad to see your catastrophic loss of the IndyRef (which you were quite emphatic would go the other way) hasn't dimmed your keen sense of humour.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The problem is Scott, you told everyone here at PB that he wasn't going to win it in 2010

Oh Stuart.

I am glad to see your catastrophic loss of the IndyRef (which you were quite emphatic would go the other way) hasn't dimmed your keen sense of humour.

Oh, wait...
    - "which you were quite emphatic would go the other way"

A straightforward lie.
  • Options
    Ladbrokes - Edinburgh South West

Lab 8/15
    SNP 15/8
    Con 12/1
    100 bar

How much pocket money have you wagered on Gordon Lindhurst then Scott? 20p ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh Stuart.

Oh, wait...
    I think you are confusing him with Malcolm. Stuart said on a number of occasions he wasn't at all sure which way it would go, to be fair.
  • Options

Bobajob_ said:

DavidL said:

Yes - from Moonpig with printed signatures
    It was a genuine question!
  • Options
    Oh, dear! I got shouted at again! Now Mum seems to agree with Farage re. breastfeeding :)
  • Options
    As recently as September the turkeys were cheering for Christmas.

'BBC wants Labour to win General Election, Tory MPs claim'
    - Tory MPs claim that the BBC's coverage of government policies is biased because it fears that a future Conservative government will cut the licence fee

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/11276739/BBC-wants-Labour-to-win-General-Election-Tory-MPs-claim.html
  • Options
    MikeK said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

Good, I didn't think so.

Surely thats not Ratty between Putins loins?
    Now that was funny!
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Today's Adur DC by election result Con hold

Con 340 Lab 223 UKIP 216 Green 106

Minor changes in vote share from May , Con , Lab and UKIP all up a fraction , Green vote down a fraction
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The problem is Scott, you told everyone here at PB that he wasn't going to win it in 2010. You were quite emphatic on that point. Jason Rust MP was a certainty.

I'm afraid that your credibility is hovering around the zilch level. Always has been.
    I see Michael Moore MP is still alive and well.
  • Options
    Ah Stuart,

So nice to see you back, how are the politics in Sweden these days? Who is going to win the election?

Apart from which, the wheels are beginning to come off Nicola's band wagon. Too honest to replace Wee Eck.

I gather that Salmond is still betting on a recall back to the leadership even though "every one else knows it ain't gonna happen" including Nicola and Peter.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I see Michael Moore MP is still alive and well.
    Well, quite. Scott P's list of idiotic GE 2010 predictions is very long. Edinburgh South West was merely the tip of the iceberg.

Looks like Moore might cling on yet:

LD (Michael Moore MP) EVS
    Con (John Lamont MSP) 11/10
    SNP 6/1
    100 bar

I note that Anthony Wells still refers to this seat as a "Safe Liberal Democrat seat". He really needs to update some of the less-visited corners of his website.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/berwickshireroxburghandselkirk/

Result 2010 - Berwickshire, Roxburgh and Selkirk

LD 22,230
    Con 16,555
    Lab 5,003
    SNP 4,497
    UKIP 595
    oth 134
  • Options
  • Options
    Greetings from the Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong Hotel, where I have managed to grab myself something of a stunning suite, thanks to our holding of a conference here from tomorrow that has attracted 450 delegates. I am on the 51st floor and have floor to ceiling windows across two sides of a corner space, so the views are incredible - even today, with a light haze of pollution already hanging in the air.

I have been to the city a couple of times before, but this is by far the most up-market place I have stayed and it's my first face to face contact with the People's Republic of China's super-elite - or, more accurately, their kids. In the block where the hotel is situated there is every kind of designer/luxury good store dripping with opulence, and the cars being driven around I literally have not seen on roads before: white, armour plated Roll's Royces, low-slung Maseratis, others that look amazing which I do not recognise; Porsches are ten a penny and a sign of relatively low status. And as for the kids themselves; well, they are dolled up in the snuggest, best-fitting gear, with phones glued to their ears. They do not bother to hide the contempt they feel for the likes of us. Their faces when we all have to share a lift are a picture.

This city, much more than Beijing, is where what has happened in China over the last 30 years hits you hard in the face. Go just a couple of miles from here, across the river and beyond the Bund, and you'll see families - just arrived from the countryside - sleeping in cardboard boxes under the newly-built flyovers. It's not like India, the divide does not seem so institutionalised or so permanent (those country-people will find a home of sorts and jobs and they will progress), but it's stark nevertheless. For the kids of the Communist elite to keep on living the lives they do, growth must be relentless. if it is not; well, I hope I am not here should that happen.
  • Options
    Oh Stuart,

Please keep up with the comments, this was discussed previously.

The consensus was that while Tony was only worth £10 million, how much is Cherie worth?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Edin_Rokz
    "how much is Cherie worth? "

A good wife is priceless, as all men who dislike sleeping on the sofa know.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

Oh Stuart,

The consensus was that while Tony was only worth £10 million, how much is Cherie worth?
    And if you really want to be pickie, How much is David Cameron worth? Supposedly only £30 million, Osborne £13 million and the other Tory front benchers?

I also think I may have missed it, but how much is Salmond worth?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Oh, dear! I got shouted at again! Now Mum seems to agree with Farage re. breastfeeding :)

Parents are so inconsiderate. Next she'll be saying grammar schools are a good thing, or that Britain should be a self-governing nation.

Will no-one think of the children!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

My irony meter just exploded.

• Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Oh Stuart,

And if you really want to be pickie, How much is David Cameron worth? Supposedly only £30 million, Osborne £13 million and the other Tory front benchers?

I also think I may have missed it, but how much is Salmond worth?
    He would be worth even more if he laid off the chauffeur driven curries....

Oh wait, the tax payer paid for those.
  • Options
    BBC radio documentary on Jeremy Thorpe, presented by Tom Mangold:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04wz633
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2014
    Oh god, wont be watching QT next week....

Russell Brand and Nigel Farage, will face each other on Question Time in Canterbury next week.

When will the likes of the BBC stop giving a bloody a megaphone to Russell Brand at every opportunity. There has to be a less hypocritical, less moronic, less uninformed lefty to have on QT.

Also, how many times have Farage been on QT in the past 12-18 months. Sure UKIP are doing well in the polls, but he has to have been on 10+ times.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Greetings from the Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong Hotel, where I have managed to grab myself something of a stunning suite, thanks to our holding of a conference here from tomorrow that has attracted 450 delegates. I am on the 51st floor and have floor to ceiling windows across two sides of a corner space, so the views are incredible - even today, with a light haze of pollution already hanging in the air.

I have been to the city a couple of times before, but this is by far the most up-market place I have stayed and it's my first face to face contact with the People's Republic of China's super-elite - or, more accurately, their kids. In the block where the hotel is situated there is every kind of designer/luxury good store dripping with opulence, and the cars being driven around I literally have not seen on roads before: white, armour plated Roll's Royces, low-slung Maseratis, others that look amazing which I do not recognise; Porsches are ten a penny and a sign of relatively low status. And as for the kids themselves; well, they are dolled up in the snuggest, best-fitting gear, with phones glued to their ears. They do not bother to hide the contempt they feel for the likes of us. Their faces when we all have to share a lift are a picture.

This city, much more than Beijing, is where what has happened in China over the last 30 years hits you hard in the face. Go just a couple of miles from here, across the river and beyond the Bund, and you'll see families - just arrived from the countryside - sleeping in cardboard boxes under the newly-built flyovers. It's not like India, the divide does not seem so institutionalised or so permanent (those country-people will find a home of sorts and jobs and they will progress), but it's stark nevertheless. For the kids of the Communist elite to keep on living the lives they do, growth must be relentless. if it is not; well, I hope I am not here should that happen.

China today makes the United States seem like a socialist country by comparison. (I've been to Shanghai twice, in 2005 and 2010 when the Expo was on).
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Tentative signs that it might be starting to dawn on Ed Balls that, if he wants to win the votes of people who oppose the Tories' policies, it might be an idea to oppose the Tories' policies himself:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/05/ed-balls-george-osborne-extreme-thatcher-spending-cuts
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Southern Observer

And today is the day when China officially overtook the US as the world's #1 economy in PPP terms
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Tentative signs that it might be starting to dawn on Ed Balls that, if he wants to win the votes of people who oppose the Tories' policies, it might be an idea to oppose the Tories' policies himself:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/dec/05/ed-balls-george-osborne-extreme-thatcher-spending-cuts

Decent line from Labour - the 1930s stuff has traction I think and the AS has presented them with an opportunity.
This discussion has been closed.