Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On current polling the Tories will, surely, suffer net loss

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On current polling the Tories will, surely, suffer net losses of more than 18 seats

Given the polling showing number of CON held seats with majorities up to 7.8% seeing LAB leads, the threat from UKIP, and the stickiness of the yellows in CON-LD battles then securing 285 MPs seems a big ask. That’s a net loss of just 18 on where the blues stand at the moment.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Unwise to be a Con seller whilst ever Ed is Labour leader.

He is voter repellant......
  • Options
    The Conservative price seems to be strongly supported by loyal blue team members, in defiance of current national polling and constituency polling data.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    Sell the hype
  • Options
    I'm not sure that the next wave of Lord Ashcroft's polls are going to change things. So far his marginals polls are broadly in line with national polls, except for the confirmation that the LibDem vote seems to be holding up quite well in their existing seats. Certainly if Labour end up with a small lead (as the national polls currently show), then, yes, the Conservatives will lose more than 18 seats net.

However, punters are not betting on the basis of the current snapshot, but on their expectations of how things might change in the next few months.

Those expectations might be wrong (in either direction), of course.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The Conservative price seems to be strongly supported by loyal blue team members, in defiance of current national polling and constituency polling data.

That explanation doesn't the other facts: the biggest discrepancy between current polling and the spreads is the SNP figure.
  • Options
    The Con price is being strongly supported by punters because they know that on GE day the voters will have to choose between Cameron and Miliband as next PM.
  • Options

The Con price is being strongly supported by punters because they know that on GE day the voters will have to choose between Cameron and Miliband as next PM.

Which is much the same choice as that between Thatcher and Foot, Thatcher and Kinnock, Major and Kinnock or Cameron and Brown.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2014
    How often have the polls called the Tory vote share correctly this year? What is the common type of error when real elections match up to pollsters' findings?

Base number of 303 + c12 Lib Dem gains = 315 (there may be the odd Labour seat too - Itchen) minus 35 losses to a falling Labour (usually overstated by the polls when real results come in) and a few Kippers in addition to Reckless & Carswell.

280-285 seems very plausible.
  • Options
    To date, there has not been the slightest evidence that the Conservatives' ratings will recover in the polls in the coming months. Labour's glissando this year has been pretty much what I expected at the start of the year, but the Conservatives have not so far shown any form of revival. Betting on them doing so next year is placing a lot of blind faith in untested theories.
  • Options
    FPT: Mr. Patrick, if it does come to a head in the next few months the ECB situation might have an impact on the election campaign.
  • Options
    Just ahead of you, Mike, with a small sale at 279.

(In fact I seem to haver moved the market down a point. Sorry folks.)

• Options
    antifrank said:

To date, there has not been the slightest evidence that the Conservatives' ratings will recover in the polls in the coming months. Labour's glissando this year has been pretty much what I expected at the start of the year, but the Conservatives have not so far shown any form of revival. Betting on them doing so next year is placing a lot of blind faith in untested theories.

In political betting, as in horseracing, the best guide to future performance is past form.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Maybe the punters simply don't believe the polls are reliable.
  • Options

FPT: Mr. Patrick, if it does come to a head in the next few months the ECB situation might have an impact on the election campaign.

Yes indeedy. UKIP's raison d'etre might simply get washed away by events. France, Germany, Italy, Spain - these are not countries whose electorates will ultimately sanction the end of their existence as independent nation states. The 'project' has failed. The death throes may take quite some time - but I myself see a collapse of the Euro as being MUCH more likely in the end than a true EUSSR. Nobody willingly surrenders their identity or their democracy. When the pain becomes unbearable we'll see a Grillo or a Le Pen elected and taking themselves out of the Euro. The collapse would then be swift.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick, I wonder how long it will take the more fervent eurocrats to blame the British for lack of solidarity at the single currency's founding.

Must admit, if the eurozone did collapse in the next few months it'd be sooner than I would've expected.

On the plus side, collapse pre-fiscal integration would make it, whilst economically traumatic, much less horrendous than trying to disentangle a superstate's grasping tentacles.
  • Options

Well go ahead and buy Con, Steve, if you are that sure.

But be aware that in doing so you are ignoring the polls, and a punter who does so is rather like a sailor who ignores the ship's instruments.
  • Options
    I wish a bookie would do a fun market on which seat will get the lowest majority ! Would see a good odds winner given the nature of such a market
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited December 2014

antifrank said:

In political betting, as in horseracing, the best guide to future performance is past form.
    Well quite - and past form suggests governments recover, no? Sporting seem to be more or less in line with the various models.

I'm still sweet NOM, but I'd much rather be on a Tory Majority than a Labour Majority [at much the same price]. Labour aren't even getting a majority on current polling and they've been in opposition - to two parties! - for 4½ years!
  • Options

Maybe political diehards believe polls that are good for their party and trash ones that don't tell them what they want to hear
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2014
    There are several reasons to believe that a Tory lead over Labour might reach about 4-5% on polling day;

1) Pollster inaccuracy compared to election results in 2014 suggests that the Tories do a bit better than the polls, while Labour do worse;
    2) Pollster results when Miliband and cameron are named. YG had a 3 point Tory lead last time;
    3) The long term trend since Feb/March 2013 is for the lead to erode at about 0.4-0.5 a month. Five months to go.;

It's also worth keeping an eye on the apparent change of heart among 2010 LDs - the shift to Labour seems to be declining, while Labour vote retention is in decline.

Also, watch the London numbers. Labour's 10 day average in London is now down to 36.8. They polled 36.6% in 2010. The downward drift could conceivably be related to fears of property taxes aimed almost exclusively at London as the polling drop has set in since the autumn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014

Mr. Patrick, I wonder how long it will take the more fervent eurocrats to blame the British for lack of solidarity at the single currency's founding.

Must admit, if the eurozone did collapse in the next few months it'd be sooner than I would've expected.

On the plus side, collapse pre-fiscal integration would make it, whilst economically traumatic, much less horrendous than trying to disentangle a superstate's grasping tentacles.

Actually much the cleanest endlosung would be for Germany itself (maybe plus its satellites) to quit the Euro - leaving the Euro as a garlic zone construct intact. They could live with each other. As could the German block. But the Teuton / Latin divide in approach seems unbreachable. A shame Mitterand and Kohl aren't still alive to be burnt at the stake.
  • Options

Emotion trumps logic, we've seen that on here. Some people believe their own hype and are prepared to back it with money.
    What we should all do is bet against what we want to happen. Then if events don't go the way we want we at least win some money to compensate.
    (And yes I know that OGH and hardened PBers arrange to win money whatever happens, but most punters probably aren't so dedicated)
  • Options

But be aware that in doing so you are ignoring the polls, and a punter who does so is rather like a sailor who ignores the ship's instruments.
    Is a punter who ignores the models like a sailor who doesn't take a map? ;-) Instruments tell you where you are, and how fast you're travelling, but not where you're going.
  • Options
    the best political bets tipped on here are those where everyone agrees that they are good bets . The above seat totals have a healthy mix of people who say they are too high and low. Suggests that they maybe are right with the possible exception of the SNP level which most people seem to agree is a bit low
  • Options

antifrank said:

Well quite - and past form suggests governments recover, no? Sporting seem to be more or less in line with the various models.

I'm still sweet NOM, but I'd much rather be on a Tory Majority than a Labour Majority [at much the same price]. Labour aren't even getting a majority on current polling and they've been in opposition - to two parties! - for 4½ years!
    The polls have been pointing heavily towards NOM for a long while, so I'd be very surprised if an astute punter like yourself was not sweet on such an outcome, TP.

I'm not sure that the evidence of Governments recovering is quite as unequivocal as you suggest. Recovery depends on events and in the absence of clear signs to the contrary I'd be inclined to assume they will be broadly neutral.
  • Options

Emotion trumps logic, we've seen that on here. Some people believe their own hype and are prepared to back it with money.
    What we should all do is bet against what we want to happen. Then if events don't go the way we want we at least win some money to compensate.
    (And yes I know that OGH and hardened PBers arrange to win money whatever happens, but most punters probably aren't so dedicated)
    "What we should all do is bet against what we want to happen"

That is called emotional hedging, and is one of the muggiest things to do in gambling.. Bookies pension
  • Options
    Most punters are PB Tories with more disposable income?

• Options
    isam said:

That is called emotional hedging, and is one of the muggiest things to do in gambling.. Bookies pension
    I was thinking that you'd need something to cheer you up next May ;-).
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

Most punters are PB Tories with more disposable income?

Not sure about that but most folk on here are PB Tories...
  • Options

the best political bets tipped on here are those where everyone agrees that they are good bets . The above seat totals have a healthy mix of people who say they are too high and low. Suggests that they maybe are right with the possible exception of the SNP level which most people seem to agree is a bit low

Oh, I love it when punters start talking up a position without clear form lines to back it up, State!

That way value lies..... :-)
  • Options

antifrank said:

The polls have been pointing heavily towards NOM for a long while, so I'd be very surprised if an astute punter like yourself was not sweet on such an outcome, TP.

I'm not sure that the evidence of Governments recovering is quite as unequivocal as you suggest. Recovery depends on events and in the absence of clear signs to the contrary I'd be inclined to assume they will be broadly neutral.
    Well, I'm sweet Tory most seats too. God bless the SNP :-)
  • Options

Oh, I love it when punters start talking up a position without clear form lines to back it up, State!

still think best bet out there at moment is Wiliam hill's 8/1 on UKIP getting 3-4 seats
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    The fact Labour never took any net 2010 Conservatives voters in the first place meant 'swingback' was always going to be half as slow as usual. Labour as the main opposition party have probably dropped more than an opposition party would in the last year but that is a large part down to the sudden collapse in Scotland.

The fixed term parliament and the fact there are two government parties complicates things further when looking at the past.
  • Options
    Mr. S, when other people define you, it's very easy to be a PB Tory. Or a Kipper.

Dr. Prasannan, not much disposable cash, alas.

Was very surprised to find that the bet-and-forget income for 2014 (just race/qualifying, discounting title bets) was pretty much the same as the very enjoyable 2012 season. Hedging income was half as much, give or take, but still green.
  • Options

antifrank said:

But not necessarily the current position of the horse part-way through the race.

In political betting, you have no choice but to use your judgement. A simple reading-through of the current polls to the final result is as big an error as ignoring the polls.

That's why the Fisher model is so useful, as it tells us how much swing from here would be a reasonable guesstimate based on past performance (answer: quite a lot still, plus or minus 6.7% at 95% confidence levels).

Also the Electionforecast model:

http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/#information

Their central forecast is currently Con 281 Lab 278 LD 28 SNP 37 UKIP 3 Plaid 3 Green 1, which is compatible with the SPIN prices on the Conservatives but indicates that Labour are a Sell (and the SNP a screaming buy).

Faites vos jeux, mesdames et messieurs.
  • Options

Is a punter who ignores the models like a sailor who doesn't take a map? ;-) Instruments tell you where you are, and how fast you're travelling, but not where you're going.
    TP, you're a good gambler, but if you were the captain of my ship I'd keep my lifejacket on. :-)
  • Options

still think best bet out there at moment is Wiliam hill's 8/1 on UKIP getting 3-4 seats
    Agreed, State. Have it covered.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    isam said:

Maybe political diehards believe polls that are good for their party and trash ones that don't tell them what they want to hear
    I remember in 2010 when I was being called every name conceivable, especially by LibDems for daring to suggest when they were ramping at 80-120 seats that they might actually fall back and be nearer 50 seats.

The current political position is so like 1982 and 1991 and UKIP is the new SDP without the policies or class of leadership. Miliband will prove to be less successful than Michael Foot.
  • Options
    The other bet I like is PC to hold Arfon at 5/6 . Surely PC will benefit a bit on the back of an SNP surge
  • Options
    @RichardN

All I'm saying is that you should look at the polls and assume that events between now and May will be broadly neutral. Anything else is guesswork, or wishful thinking.

Now that the by-elections and Autumn Statement are out of the way, I see no major events which are clearly likely to tip the balance, except eventually the debates. So I think a 'straight' reading of recent form is the best indicator of where to put the money down,
  • Options
    Mr. Easterross, I hope you're right. But there remains a realistic chance Miliband could become PM.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

isam said:

I remember in 2010 when I was being called every name conceivable, especially by LibDems for daring to suggest when they were ramping at 80-120 seats that they might actually fall back and be nearer 50 seats.
    Have you completely blocked out your Scottish Tory predictions though?
  • Options
    @Easteross

"Miliband will prove to be less successful than Michael Foot. "

Well get stuck in there!

Please. As big as you can afford. There will be no shortage of takers, I promise.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2014

@RichardN

All I'm saying is that you should look at the polls and assume that events between now and May will be broadly neutral. Anything else is guesswork, or wishful thinking.

Now that the by-elections and Autumn Statement are out of the way, I see no major events which are clearly likely to tip the balance, except eventually the debates. So I think a 'straight' reading of recent form is the best indicator of where to put the money down,

That I disagree with. The 'major events' thing is an irrelevance IMO: there is one humoungous major event, which is the GE coming into focus. After all, if you'd followed that approach in December 2009 you'd have been miles out.

In my judgement the most likely changes from the polls now are a net drift from Labour to the Conservatives, a falling back of UKIP, and a fall in the SNP share towards Scottish Labour. I'm pretty confident in this forecast (other perhaps than the UKIP bit), but what I don't know is how big these effects will be.
  • Options

@RichardN

Conversely, I would argue the General Election itself is the major event that tips the balance.

Swingback isn't just about events and economic data; it's the difference between protesting against the government of the day and deciding who you want to form the next one. The focus will change.

I can't argue with Mike's headline - but all the evidence we do have [models, betting markets, NewsSense™] suggests that May's polling will be more favourable to the Tories than current polling. The question is: by how much?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Mr. Easterross, I hope you're right. But there remains a realistic chance Miliband could become PM.

This would be a sub-optimal outcome.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

That I disagree with. The 'major events' thing is an irrelevance IMO: there is one humoungous major event, which is the GE coming into focus.

Right.

Ed Miliband on TV every day for 6 weeks counts as a 'big event' and not in a good way...
  • Options

antifrank said:

I've a feeling that selling Tories and Labour might be a shrewd bet.

Bless the SNP and UKIP?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited December 2014

@RichardN

That I disagree with. The 'major events' thing is an irrelevance IMO: there is one humoungous major event, which is the GE coming into focus. After all, if you'd followed that approach in December 2009 you'd have been miles out.

In my judgement the most likely changes from the polls now are a net drift from Labour to the Conservatives, a falling back of UKIP, and a fall in the SNP share towards Scottish Labour. I'm pretty confident in this forecast, but what I don't know is how big these effects will be.
    I should type more quickly...
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2014
    Q: With Labour at 283-289 seats how does that compare with past performance?
    A: I do know that in every GE since at least WW2, after the GE where they lost power, their vote share drops.

So if history repeats Labour's vote share at the next GE "should" end up in the 25% to 28% range.
    This far out from the GE, a vote share dropping to that level is very plausible. The unknown question then becomes where the Conservative vote share will be? 32%, 33%, 34% or 35%?
  • Options
    Mr. D, in the same way Atlantis had a sub-optimal long term weather forecast.
  • Options

@RichardN

In my judgement the most likely changes from the polls now are a net drift from Labour to the Conservatives, a falling back of UKIP, and a fall in the SNP share towards Scottish Labour. I'm pretty confident in this forecast, but what I don't know is how big these effects will be.
    LOL!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That I disagree with. The 'major events' thing is an irrelevance IMO: there is one humoungous major event, which is the GE coming into focus.

Right.

Ed Miliband on TV every day for 6 weeks counts as a 'big event' and not in a good way...
    Well if you buy into the Ed Is Crap thesis, Scott, then your course is clear, but it's a risky one.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I've a feeling that selling Tories and Labour might be a shrewd bet.

Bless the SNP and UKIP?
    That is my own instinct. Set against that, the SNP are now starting to show signs of overreach and UKIP remain an unknown quantity.

Sometimes this stuff is all so difficult.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

The other bet I like is PC to hold Arfon at 5/6 . Surely PC will benefit a bit on the back of an SNP surge

I agree, and I think Plaid could gain Ynys Mon too.
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, be fair. It's a pretty popular view [not least in the Shadow Cabinet].
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Earlier today I mentioned the elephant in the room for Lib Dems. Very few noticed.... Now Guido does.

http://order-order.com/2014/12/05/green-surge-libdems-slump-to-fifth-place/
  • Options

Earlier today I mentioned the elephant in the room for Lib Dems. Very few noticed.... Now Guido does.

In many ways, the fact that this so un-newsworthy/unsurprising is the most worrying thing of all for the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, to be fair, it's not the first time in recent months it's happened.

Whilst I think Mr. Tapestry may have overestimated the electoral impact of fracking, I wonder if that's the reason behind the Greens doing well, or if the mainstream parties being seen as rubbish is just seeing them benefit as per others.
  • Options

Very few noticed? We've been commenting on the rise of the Greens in the polls (and, for me just as interesting, the surge in membership) for as long as it has been happening.
  • Options

@RichardN

There is one piece of evidence that you, Richard, myself and other PBers all have access to which few punters and bookies do.

NickP reports back regularly from footslogging around Broxtowe and he has consistently stated for a long while now that nothing is happening out there - nothing at all. Both main Parties' core support is solid. Nothing is shifting.

And you guys say that this will change when the GE looms looms large? Well, maybe, but that sounds to me just a little bit like the WW1 Generals predicting an imminent breakthrough.

Could be right, of course....
  • Options

isam said:

I was thinking that you'd need something to cheer you up next May ;-).
    There's actually a decent bet which would be a relatively bad outcome for Ukip which is 3-4 seats at 8/1... I haven't really got the money to tie up on long term bets at the moment though
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Mr. Betting, to be fair, it's not the first time in recent months it's happened.

Whilst I think Mr. Tapestry may have overestimated the electoral impact of fracking, I wonder if that's the reason behind the Greens doing well, or if the mainstream parties being seen as rubbish is just seeing them benefit as per others.

I think it's a mixture of fracking, lefties angry that Labour aren't opposing spending cuts, and maybe just the European elections giving them more spotlight than they've had since 2010 (their Euros ad with the Clegg/Farage parody went quite widespread).
  • Options

Ah snap!
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, modern history isn't my thing, but wasn't there a massive breakthrough by the Germans at the end? They just failed to keep up with the pace of advance due to insufficient effective logistics.

It's a bit the boy who cried wolf. Just because the lupine menace hasn't been seen prowling about doesn't mean the wolf won't be there one day.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited December 2014

But aren't the Greens the lefty UKIP ? Thinly spread, will struggle to win their fair share of seats, really a distortion factor under FPTP. This probably hurts Labour more than the LDs.
  • Options

Mr. Punter, be fair. It's a pretty popular view [not least in the Shadow Cabinet].

To be fair, Morris, it's a view I share....or at least I don't think he is very good.

But the Village Idiot he ain't, and the polls suggest that if the public don't like him they are nevertheless still inclined to vote for the Party - at least in sufficient numbers for it to be EICIPM.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Neil said:

Very few noticed? We've been commenting on the rise of the Greens in the polls (and, for me just as interesting, the surge in membership) for as long as it has been happening.
    Very few noticed..... on the previous LD thread.... Somehow the LDs expect to have 30+ seats even though the Greens have the momentum (Smithson jr) in attracting more LD voters each week.
  • Options

@RichardN

There is one piece of evidence that you, Richard, myself and other PBers all have access to which few punters and bookies do.

NickP reports back regularly from footslogging around Broxtowe and he has consistently stated for a long while now that nothing is happening out there - nothing at all. Both main Parties' core support is solid. Nothing is shifting.

And you guys say that this will change when the GE looms looms large? Well, maybe, but that sounds to me just a little bit like the WW1 Generals predicting an imminent breakthrough.

Nick Palmer has been saying this for at least a year. In that time, Labour have dropped noticeably in the national polls:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-2

I don't think that he's spinning us a line, but I do think there's an element of wishful thinking.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    A net loss of only that amount does seem like a very big ask for the Tories. There are so many factors which could undermine that, and only one - Ed M - which could realistically make things easier for them (I discount the economy assisting, as people feel it is getting worse again, even if it is about as good or bad as it has been all year), against a background of very little movement from the core votes of the big two we are told. Tories only losing 18 seats with all that? Unlikely.
    Neil said:

Quite - it's only the self importance of Guido that makes any point he makes seem like a brand new revelation.
  • Options

Mr. Punter, modern history isn't my thing, but wasn't there a massive breakthrough by the Germans at the end? They just failed to keep up with the pace of advance due to insufficient effective logistics.

It's a bit the boy who cried wolf. Just because the lupine menace hasn't been seen prowling about doesn't mean the wolf won't be there one day.

In the end, circumstances changed. And if events change, I'll change my betting, Morris.
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, so they say, years and months away from casting their vote. If it has an impact, it'll become apparent sooner.

The debates could help Miliband, provided he doesn't have a disaster.

Still no confirmation on how (or even if) they'll proceed, though.
  • Options

It's certainly not fracking (or at least frackng has not suddenly become a big issue, it has less profile now than when Lucas was arrested).

I could be wrong but I time an initial spurt after the Euros (and beating the Lib Dems there), there was a surge in membership in Scotland after the referendum and one in the rest of the UK after the Greens were excluded from the broadcasters' plans for debates (hundreds of thousands of people signed petitions about that raising profile greatly).

• Options
    antifrank said:

@RichardN

Nick Palmer has been saying this for at least a year. In that time, Labour have dropped noticeably in the national polls:

I don't think that he's spinning us a line, but I do think there's an element of wishful thinking.
    Depends where you take the cut-off point, Frank. Movements have been negligible for some while.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    The Green surge is a bit of a mystery to me. To be continually increasing your vote share and membership with pretty much no coverage or attention just doesn't make sense. If Natalie Bennett or Caroline Lucas were continually on the news or there was some big environmental news event, I could understand the Greens getting a boost in the same way UKIP and SNP have, but that isn't happening. I think their anti-austerity reputation could be one factor.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@RichardN

Its as accurate as advising us that Labour are flat lining in the canvassing for a few years as the economic flatlining nonsense from Balls.
  • Options
    Artist said:

The Green surge is a bit of a mystery to me. To be continually increasing your vote share and membership with pretty much no coverage or attention just doesn't make sense. If Natalie Bennett or Caroline Lucas were continually on the news or there was some big environmental news event, I could understand the Greens getting a boost in the same way UKIP and SNP have, but that isn't happening. I think their anti-austerity reputation could be one factor.

Maybe, although what confuses me about it is why now and not, say, a year ago, when pretty much the same factors were in play. I think it may be because rather than an expected recovery of some kind the LDs have slumped even worse, causing even people who want to vote for them to start abandoning ship, and of course Labour sliding a little and with literally nowhere else for lefty voters to go.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited December 2014
    I still the Liberal Metro Elite have gone nuts on Farage again....when will they learn, screaming outrage and twisting his words, wont work. The only people "outraged" are the same people who think that UKIP are akin to the Nazi's and wouldn't vote for them if they were the only party on the ballot paper.

Tip...How about holding Farage to account on his policies, and often lack of them, and how lots of things are as simple as you he likes to make out.

• Options

antifrank said:

@RichardN

Depends where you take the cut-off point, Frank. Movements have been negligible for some while.
    Au contraire; Labour have plunged since September, from a consistent 36% or so [depending on pollster] to today's 32%. Hence all the EdM leadership stuff.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

I still the Liberal Metro Elite have gone nuts on Farage again....when will they learn, screaming outrage and twisting his words, wont work. The only people "outraged" are the same people who think that UKIP are akin to the Nazi's and wouldn't vote for them if they were the only party on the ballot paper.

Tip...How about holding Farage to account on his policies, and often lack of them, and how lots of things are as simple as you he likes to make out.

Ooooh radical !

They wouldn't want to attack Farage on policy as it would highlight that Dave hardly has any and Ed has none. Zilch. Zero. Diddly squat.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Artist said:

Your last sentence is the key IMO. It's because they've given up talking about the environment very much, and instead have repositioned themselves as a receptacle for left-of-Labour protest votes. Normally those would have gone to the LibDems, but that option is no longer considered respectable. And, to be fair, the Greens are the only party offering that particular brand of far-left politics; with Ed Miliband, Ed Balls, Yvette Cooper and Tristram Hunt representing the face of Labour, surely the only surprise is that more left-wing voters haven't (yet?) gone over the Greens.
  • Options
    Artist said:

I've never seen as much Green party coverage as there has been in recent weeks / months. Someone was even complaining earlier at a 'paper carrying a Green response to the Autumn Statement but not a UKIP one (for some balance - count how many times the media look for a UKIP quote about an issue without running a Green one). I think the exclusion from the debates was a big issue that raised profile and prompted a lot of lefties to remember they are there / what they stand for. 260,000+ people signed one petition alone. It helped that this came when Miliband was having his wobble. And, yes, being anti-austerity when people dont seem to see the need for austerity any more cant hurt.

• Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Quite a large number of casual politics followers I talk to all have the same view as many on here: Ed Miliband is rubbish therefore Labour won't win.

My general response is that his perceived rubbishness must surely be largely built into the current poll numbers and, in fact, isn't it more likely that his personal ratings will get better, not worse - just because there's not much room for them to fall any further.

I looked back at 1983 to back up my argument, but it looks like Labour were generally polling around 33% at this stage before the election, only to wind up with 27%. Oh well.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited December 2014
    It is always the same on here:

What % of people selling Con are people who don't vote Con?
    What % of people buying Con are people who do vote Con?

99% of people on here just think that what they personally want to happen will indeed actually happen.

I guess it's just wishful thinking / thinking that what they want to happen "should" happen and that voters will ultimately do the "right" thing in their eyes so it will "actually" happen.

The only prediction posts worth reading are where a supporter of Party X thinks Party X will do worse than expected.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Lab and Con now both 6 with Betfair's Overall Majority market:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/26589827/market?marketId=1.101416490

Crossover imminent...
  • Options

It's because they've given up talking about the environment very much

Oh that's not true. It's just that the level of coverage they get for environmental issues remains at its usual lows.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    If you want to know why soccer hasn't taken off in the US, here is a prime example of the incompetence that helps prevent it.

The MLS (Major League Soccer) Cup Final is to take place at 3pm next Sunday live on ESPN.

Sunday is the NFL juggernaut's time. The early games finish between 3.30-4.00pm. The late games start at 4.00-4.25pm.

The NFL totally dominates. There could not be a worse time slot for this game, even if it is Landon Donovan's last game.

The ratings will be dreadful. This is a self-inflicted wound.

Soccer will not take off in the US until there is a credible domestic product. Currently it is unwatchable and there is no money in it.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

antifrank said:

But not necessarily the current position of the horse part-way through the race.

In political betting, you have no choice but to use your judgement. A simple reading-through of the current polls to the final result is as big an error as ignoring the polls.

That's why the Fisher model is so useful, as it tells us how much swing from here would be a reasonable guesstimate based on past performance (answer: quite a lot still, plus or minus 6.7% at 95% confidence levels).

Also the Electionforecast model:

http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/#information

Their central forecast is currently Con 281 Lab 278 LD 28 SNP 37 UKIP 3 Plaid 3 Green 1, which is compatible with the SPIN prices on the Conservatives but indicates that Labour are a Sell (and the SNP a screaming buy).

Faites vos jeux, mesdames et messieurs.
    Are the SNP really going to get the number of seats you mention? I don't see why the Labour tendency should vote for anything else, not least when the concept of independence is such a busted flush, given the oil price. (it's not so much the current oil price per se, although the consequences of that are obvious, its the clear reality that the price is so volotile)

Of course I do realise we are not dealing with rationality, but in the final analysis will the seats really turn out as predicted??
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    kle4 said:

Artist said:

Maybe, although what confuses me about it is why now and not, say, a year ago, when pretty much the same factors were in play. I think it may be because rather than an expected recovery of some kind the LDs have slumped even worse, causing even people who want to vote for them to start abandoning ship, and of course Labour sliding a little and with literally nowhere else for lefty voters to go.
    I think two factors are different from a year ago. Firstly, a lot of people's patience with Labour finally snapped -- the Labour "high command" were always too complacent about their solid poll ratings and always underestimated how lukewarm a lot of their support was (my dad being exhibit A, being someone who voted Lib Dem in 2010, started to say he'd probably vote Labour by default, but then in recent months has said he's sick of Miliband faffing about saying nothing so he's going to vote Green to "send a message" instead - this is inspite of the fact he had no idea who the Green leader was when I asked him).

Secondly, the European elections frankly might have reminded a lot of people just of the Green Party's mere existence. Maybe a lot of people who always had Greenish views a year ago just didn't occur to them that voting Green was an option, but then they got a burst of publicity with the European elections and maybe just thought to themselves "hmm, you know what, why not".
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    If the Greens are serious about being a force in British politics, then they have to damage the LibDems and then Labour. The Greens as a bare minimum should have a candidate in every seat the LibDems are defending, in the hope (expectation?) that they can mortally wound the LibDems as a national political force. They are the most likely recipient of their vote, long term.

They could also be a right pain in the arse for Labour, depending on where they stand. Again, a Green candidate in every marginal Labour seat could cause disproportionate pain to Labour.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

It is always the same on here:

99% of people on here just think that what they personally want to happen will indeed actually happen.

I don't think it's 99%. I think there were plenty of people who thought Yes might or would win the IndyRef who didn't want it to happen to take just one example, and people who want a Labour majority but think they could fall short for another. I'd say it was about 75-25 maybe
    shadsy said:

Quite a large number of casual politics followers I talk to all have the same view as many on here: Ed Miliband is rubbish therefore Labour won't win.

My general response is that his perceived rubbishness must surely be largely built into the current poll numbers and, in fact, isn't it more likely that his personal ratings will get better, not worse - just because there's not much room for them to fall any further.

Seems reasonable
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    shadsy said:

I looked back at 1983 to back up my argument, but it looks like Labour were generally polling around 33% at this stage before the election, only to wind up with 27%. Oh well.

A good point that makes total sense.

The counter argument would be that most people don't follow politics at all closely and when they answer a how will you vote polling question at the moment they aren't thinking that Labour = Miliband.

After a GE campaign with Miliband on TV every day they (or at least most people) will be much more aware that Labour = Miliband so some will be less likely to vote Labour.

That sort of ties in to a YouGov a few weeks back which had a Con 3% lead with the leaders named in an otherwise standard voting intention question.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Lab and Con now both 6 with Betfair's Overall Majority market:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/#/politics/event/26589827/market?marketId=1.101416490

Crossover imminent...

On current national and Scottish polling it is very difficult to project anything other than another hung parliament.

• Options
    For me the surge in Green party membership (more than doubled in a year) is more important than the improved polling because (1) I expect the Greens to be squeezed in the actual GE so the polling might only be temporary but (2) the extra members could help deliver more Cllrs and the 2nds and 3rds in the GE that are needed to turn into seats in 2020 and beyond.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Artist said:

I think two factors are different from a year ago. Firstly, a lot of people's patience with Labour finally snapped -- the Labour "high command" were always too complacent about their solid poll ratings and always underestimated how lukewarm a lot of their support was (my dad being exhibit A, being someone who voted Lib Dem in 2010, started to say he'd probably vote Labour by default, but then in recent months has said he's sick of Miliband faffing about saying nothing so he's going to vote Green to "send a message" instead - this is inspite of the fact he had no idea who the Green leader was when I asked him).

Secondly, the European elections frankly might have reminded a lot of people just of the Green Party's mere existence. Maybe a lot of people who always had Greenish views a year just didn't occur to them that voting Green was an option, but then they got a burst of publicity with the European elections and maybe just thought to themselves "hmm, you know what, why not".
    Why??? Why would anyone want to vote green? Why would anyone want to vote green as some kind of rational left wing choice?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

shadsy said:

A good point that makes total sense.

The counter argument would be that most people don't follow politics at all closely and when they answer a how will you vote polling question at the moment they aren't thinking that Labour = Miliband.

After a GE campaign with Miliband on TV every day they (or at least most people) will be much more aware that Labour = Miliband so some will be less likely to vote Labour.

That sort of ties in to a YouGov a few weeks back which had a Con 3% lead with the leaders named in an otherwise standard voting intention question.
    Even with CON on a 3% lead they' be losing 30+ seats.

• Options

If the Greens are serious about being a force in British politics, then they have to damage the LibDems and then Labour.

If the Greens are serious they should do what suits their agenda not what suits others'.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Artist said:

Secondly, the European elections frankly might have reminded a lot of people just of the Green Party's mere existence. Maybe a lot of people who always had Greenish views a year just didn't occur to them that voting Green was an option, but then they got a burst of publicity with the European elections and maybe just thought to themselves "hmm, you know what, why not".
    Why??? Why would anyone want to vote green? Why would anyone want to vote green as some kind of rational left wing choice?
    You really do struggle with the basics, dont you?

• Options
    edited December 2014

Are the SNP really going to get the number of seats you mention? I don't see why the Labour tendency should vote for anything else, not least when the concept of independence is such a busted flush, given the oil price. (it's not so much the current oil price per se, although the consequences of that are obvious, its the clear reality that the price is so volotile)

Of course I do realise we are not dealing with rationality, but in the final analysis will the seats really turn out as predicted??

I don't know. It's one of the huge uncertainties in the election. I did say downthread that I thought there would be some drift back from the SNP to Scottish Labour, but bear in mind that some such swingback is already factored into the 37 seats that electionforecast.co.uk are predicting - on current polls, it could be well over 40.

My central forecast would be a smaller figure - 20 to 25. However, I think the SNP are a Buy on the spreads because there is a reasonable possibility that they'll do a lot better than the current buy price of 22, and I don't see much risk that they'll do a lot worse. Also, Scottish Labour are not exactly on best fighting form at the moment. But do your own research!
This discussion has been closed.