Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov polling shows the very difficult challenge ahead for

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov polling shows the very difficult challenge ahead for the Tories on the NHS

The above chart is based on YouGov data for today’s Times and shows the different perceptions, broken down by party support, of what might happen to the NHS if the Tories win GE15.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    @Socrates
    FPT

If a British person cannot afford to live in this country, he should move to a different country where he can afford to live.
  • Options
    "LAB, though, is in danger of becoming a one trick pony with the NHS"

Don't worry OGH, they have the 'Mansion Tax' as a back up plan... ; )
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates
    FPT

If a British person cannot afford to live in this country, he should move to a different country where he can afford to live.

Should we scrap the NHS, and those that cannot afford healthcare be left to die?

If we as a society should not be that heartless over the NHS, then why be heartless to force people out of the country they were born in?

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2014
    Hang on, is there comparative data for a possible Labour government after the election? People might think the NHS will get worse whatever government we have, which wouldn't be an irrational view given the demographic and financial pressures, and the power of the producer interests in resisting efficiency improvements.
  • Options
    The general public (Conservatives apart) are quite right. It is also likely to get worse under any other government, owing to the strains that an ageing population will put on a health service that will only receive limited extra funding whoever is in power.

This is a big problem for the Conservatives in particular, of course. Labour have to hope it's a deal-breaker, because it's by some way their best line of attack at present.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    "LAB, though, is in danger of becoming a one trick pony with the NHS"

Labour want to talk about the NHS.

I see. Do you take Welsh Express???

That'll do nicely, Mr Cameron
  • Options
    FPT:

“I’ve said very clearly that an SNP group of MPs in the House of Commons will never put the Conservatives into government; we would never be part of a government with the Conservatives. "

I think I detect a little weaselly bit of wriggle room there. OK, they wouldn't be part of a coalition (not that they would be invited to be, I imagine), and they wouldn't put the Conservatives into government, but has not she not left open the possibility that they might not put the Conservatives out of government?
    You're deconstructing the text too carefully. If you think that argument would wash in a pub on a Friday night in Glasgow, you're a braver man than me. The SNP cannot afford to be seen to be the Conservatives' helpers, either actively or passively.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723
    For Tories "get better" might equate with "privatises more services and lines a few more pockets", hence the higher score.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates
    FPT

So you support a policy of pricing people out of the country of their birth, childhood and identity? How pleasant.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

You're deconstructing the text too carefully. If you think that argument would wash in a pub on a Friday night in Glasgow, you're a braver man than me. The SNP cannot afford to be seen to be the Conservatives' helpers, either actively or passively.

You might well be right, but then this is a party which has done spectacular handbrake turns on the currency, the monarchy, and other issues, apparently without ill-effect on its support.
  • Options
    I expect Stafford and Wales to be rolled out.

David Cameron parking his tanks on Labour's lawn is possibly the boldest attack since General Schwarzkopf's left hook in Desert Storm.

It drives lefties nuts. Cf Jack Monroe.
  • Options
    David Cameron did quite a good job of neutralising the NHS as an issue in the runup to 2010, but then let Lansley loose on it.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

For Tories "get better" might equate with "privatises more services and lines a few more pockets", hence the higher score.

Do you really think Conservatives sit there and think "oh good I can line some more pockets"?

Or are you merely being uncharitable?
  • Options

For Tories, 'better' might include 'privatise more services, where appropriate, in order to get a better service for a lower cost".

Why are the left so unpleasant that they invariably attribute base motives to people who disagree with them as to the best means to good quality services? It really is an exceptionally ugly trait.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369

Hang on, is there comparative data for a possible Labour government after the election? People might think the NHS will get worse whatever government we have, which wouldn't be an irrational view given the demographic and financial pressures, and the power of the producer interests in resisting efficiency improvements.

Yes, there is - haven't got it to hand, but it's substantially better. The Tories were marginally better (by 1 point) on "value for money" but miles behind on "quality of service".

This is another illustration of my salience point. When the Tories go big on "The NHS is in difficulty, we will help with £X billion", they tend to help Labour, since we are seen as the people to turn to if the NHS is in trouble. It's a view that's built up over 65 years and no amount of last-minute "Oh but what about Wales" will really change perceptions. Not saying the Tories shouldn't allocate money to the NHS simply because it's a good idea - just that it won't pay electoral dividends, any more than it would help Labour if we promised to build two extra aircraft carriers and equip them all with VTOL planes to meet a perceived threat from North Korea or Iran.
  • Options

David Cameron did quite a good job of neutralising the NHS as an issue in the runup to 2010, but then let Lansley loose on it.

Jeremy Hunt is much better at the presentation than Lansley, though.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Hawking points out the rather obvious flaw of creating machines that are smarter than people:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30290540
  • Options
    @NickPalmer - I take your point on salience, so the aim of the Conservatives will be to dampen down the issue, and also to push the line that to afford a good NHS, we need a strong economy. It's not a bad line.
  • Options
    Ah, the NHS. How boring. One of the many reasons I never went down the elected politician path (a) people are irrational, obsessive and quasi-religious about the NHS, and (b) I find it an extremely boring subject. I could never have got excited about a local hospital ward.

Just not that interested. Virtually never use it and, when I do and haven't had my access blocked by one of its many gatekeepers, I've always found it to be decidedly average.

Dentistry seems to be a bigger problem in this country. Tons of crap teeth around - Americans are right, British teeth are awful - and accessible dentists are as rare as hen's teeth (no pun intended) and plenty of them are crap too.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    edited December 2014
    FPT

stodge said:

The £50 billion or so we have to pay to service the debt every year (which is money that has to be raised but which can't be spent on services) is, I suppose, a lasting legacy of Brown.

Not just Mr Brown. The current administration made a conscious decision to increase debt rather than address excessive government spending.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/12/in-graphs-george-osborne-fought-the-debt-and-the-debt-won/
    The govt have in fact addressed govt spending to a very great degree. Cuts in the non cyclical deficit have been significant. See what the IMF have to say. Faced with economic slowdown abroad they elected not to cut off our noses with even more draconian cuts.
    There has been both cuts to govt spending - witness the large scale job losses and back room reorganisations in local government - and significant economies as well.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/francis-maude-announces-end-of-year-savings-2013-to-2014

What we have also had is abolition of fuel duty rises and of course rises in tax allowances.
    Govt spending has generally undershot its targets.
    Spending was £620 billion in 2009 it shot up to 673 billion in 2010 (hardly the govts fault) and should be £731 billion in 2015.

So in 1 year at the end of the Labour govt, spending rose by £53 billion. (it rose by£38 billion the year before!) In the next 5 years of this govt it should rise by just £58 billion in total, probably less given the tendency to undershoot.
    This is about 1.75% a year from which you have to take inflation.
    Inevitably the interest payments on the inherited debt and the hangover from the inherited deficit have an effect on govt spending.
    So taking that into account its clear that real spending, the govts discretionary spending, has both been cut and continues to be, under a tory chancellor, under control. Its an endless task which I for one do not consider is one that is a practical for a Labour chancellor.
  • Options

Ah, the NHS. How boring. One of the many reasons I never went down the elected politician path (a) people are irrational, obsessive and quasi-religious about the NHS, and (b) I find it an extremely boring subject. I could never have got excited about a local hospital ward.

Just not that interested. Virtually never use it and, when I do and haven't had my access blocked by one of its many gatekeepers, I've always found it to be decidedly average.

Dentistry seems to be a bigger problem in this country. Tons of crap teeth around - Americans are right, British teeth are awful - and accessible dentists are as rare as hen's teeth (no pun intended) and plenty of them are crap too.

Yep. You've turned into a kipper all right.
  • Options
    So as many people that think it will get worse or don't know as think it will get better or stay the same.
  • Options
    Yes. We need to spend more on the NHS so everyone can use it free. Including visitors, hypochondriacs and self abusers. And the old. Especially the old.

There must be a flaw somewhere . Oh the number of elderly is going to double in the next twenty years.

Never mind, taxes will rise to pay for it.. A LOT.

Oops,

Anyone who looks at the numbers knows what is going to happen. A car crash.

(I've been to A&E this year with an 80 odd year old neighbour from 10pm to 6am.. one Friday night after he was discharged from the same hospital that day as "fit". He lasted 30 minutes at home and was eventually readmitted at 5am the next day. A horrible foretaste of what is to come)

• Options

I have held these views on the NHS for years.

You just find it easier to box people into stereotypes, and then to apply your prejudices accordingly, rather than engage with them. The latter might actually force you to think, which you are clearly uncomfortable in doing.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I recently looked at the published ratings of local hospitals.

One of them was rated "amongst the worst" for hygiene/infection and only about 50% of its own workers would recommend it.

Yet 9/10 patients said they would recommend it....

• Options

Insult him some more. You might win him back!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

It's beyond belief Socrates, isn't it? This is why the Conservative Party is heaping more brushwood upon its own funeral pyre.

For months I've read reasoned and balanced arguments from posters i respect - you and Sean Fear in particular, as well as Sunil - on your reasons for defecting to UKIP. I've read sympathetic comments on UKIP by SeanT, Andy JS and Morris Dancer, who understand the sentiments and appeal. And I've met UKIP candidates - David Kendrick and Isam - who are perfectly reasonable and thoughtful people.

What have I had from my former Tory colleagues to dissuade me? With one or two honourable exceptions (Richard Nabavi being one, and Peter from Putney another) a constant stream of abuse directed at kippers, most of which seem to involve permutations on 'racist' and 'nasty'.

It's not been that hard to recognise, actually, which is the more intellectually and morally bankrupt party. Perhaps those who recognise themselves in the description above should reflect on that.
  • Options
    The NHS doesn't need huge amounts of new spending, just recognition that outsourcing of building facilities or conducting "lucrative" operations to private contractors with profit motives (as has been done by successive governments over the past 20 years) is inherently inefficient. Free market ideology doesn't work in a system where the corporate elite has captured the decision making process and can draft laws, regulations and contracts to suit itself. Remove pseudo-competitive tendering and millions, if not billions, will be saved in the medium term. I doubt the Labour Party will do it (given their accountancy firm financing), but with the Tories - no chance.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

Yes. We need to spend more on the NHS so everyone can use it free. Including visitors, hypochondriacs and self abusers. And the old. Especially the old.

The cost of freeloading is minuscule in relation to the NHS overall budget. It's a price worth paying.

So what if the NHS's costs are going to rise? The cost of ALL health systems in the Western world is going to rise, no matter what the model.

Yeah the Americans pay a little less tax. They pay whopping great health charges instead. So it's swings and roundabouts.

Therefore given its universal coverage and mitigation of the fear of getting ill, the UK's system is by far the best.

• Options

Socrates said:

It's beyond belief Socrates, isn't it? This is why the Conservative Party is heaping more brushwood upon its own funeral pyre.

For months I've read reasoned and balanced arguments from posters i respect - you and Sean Fear in particular, as well as Sunil - on your reasons for defecting to UKIP. I've read sympathetic comments on UKIP by SeanT, Andy JS and Morris Dancer, who understand the sentiments and appeal. And I've met UKIP candidates - David Kendrick and Isam - who are perfectly reasonable and thoughtful people.

What have I had from my former Tory colleagues to dissuade me? With one or two honourable exceptions (Richard Nabavi being one, and Peter from Putney another) a constant stream of abuse directed at kippers, most of which seem to involve permutations on 'racist' and 'nasty'.

It's not been that hard to recognise, actually, which is the more intellectually and morally bankrupt party. Perhaps those who recognise themselves in the description above should reflect on that.
    Hypothetically, if you thought that someone had made a shameful choice that was far beneath them, how would you go about persuading them out of it?

I appreciate that you won't see your decision in that light at all, but no doubt you understand that others may.
  • Options

For Tories, 'better' might include 'privatise more services, where appropriate, in order to get a better service for a lower cost".

Why are the left so unpleasant that they invariably attribute base motives to people who disagree with them as to the best means to good quality services? It really is an exceptionally ugly trait.
    Labour party manifesto 2010.
    ''if we don’t meet our guarantees, for example on waiting lists, the NHS will fund you to go private''
    ''the right in law to choose from any provider who meets NHS standards of quality at NHS costs ''
    '' we will deliver up to £20 billion of efficiencies in the frontline NHS,''
    '' Foundation Trusts will be given the freedom to ... increase their private services ''
    ''We will support an active role for the independent sector working alongside the NHS in the provision of care, ''
    ''Where changes are needed, we will be fair to NHS services and staff and give them a chance to improve, but where they fail to do so we will look to alternative provision''

These are all things that Labour and their trade unions now sneer at when they happen under a 'tory led coalition'.
  • Options

A financial impossibility.
  • Options
    BenM said:

See the Labour 2010 manifesto
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Socrates said:

Even Richard Nabavi, who is far politer and reasoned than most, goes on silly little trips about how UKIP supporters don't really want to leave the EU and just like putting Ed Miliband in power. The first part of persuading people is acknowledging their existing views, and the Conservatives just can't seem to do that. There's quite a large air of entitlement to the votes of right-leaning people.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    antifrank said:

Socrates said:

Hypothetically, if you thought that someone had made a shameful choice that was far beneath them, how would you go about persuading them out of it?

I appreciate that you won't see your decision in that light at all, but no doubt you understand that others may.
    One generally catches far more flies with honey rather than acid.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JohnRentoul: Not bad for Tories; not good for Labour; grim for Lib Dems. ComRes for ITVNews http://t.co/qnBs4nAYn7 http://t.co/fu8ZtsJUE8
  • Options
    Mr. F, but you can't dissolve them with honey.

This may be why the xenomorph had blood of acid rather than honey. Although, if it had had honey-blood, its mortal enemy would've been Winnie the Pooh.
  • Options

BenM said:

Politicians have deluded themselves for decades about the extent the private sector can deliver cost savings for most public services.

None more so than New Labour.

And we see it with the weaselly "free at the point of use" trope the Tories and UKIP lean on like a crutch.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

I tend to agree.

But those kippers that complain that they feel that they are being looked down on and abused for their choice by erstwhile comrades might care to reflect that their choice may have provoked genuine disdain.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

Even Richard Nabavi, who is far politer and reasoned than most, goes on silly little trips about how UKIP supporters don't really want to leave the EU and just like putting Ed Miliband in power.

Not UKIP supporters, the UKIP leadership. I simply don't understand how they can possibly have come to the view that what they are doing helps their cause. It makes no sense.
  • Options
    Mr. M, isn't 'free at the point of use' the basis of the NHS?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Socrates said:

It's beyond belief Socrates, isn't it?

I would start without making a judgement on the conclusions they'd reached, thus showing them respect, and seek to understand the reasons behind that change of opinion. I would also play that back to show I'd understood, and how they'd reached that conclusion.

Whilst I might point out to them gently my own opinion - and why I had reached a different conclusion, and why I thought that was so important - I'd restate that ultimately I respected their decision and that it wouldn't affect my opinion of them, or my friendship.

The respect shown and given might then give a licence for my views to be reflected upon privately by that individual, but I would always have to accept that they might not come round to the same.

(incidentally, I see nothing shameful at all in the UK governing itself as an independent nation and controlling its own borders; that includes imposing limits if it feels overall immigration numbers are too high and causing adverse effects within its society. If we disagree on the reasonabity of that basic premise alone, then we may not get very far.)
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited December 2014
    Scott_P said:

@JohnRentoul: Not bad for Tories; not good for Labour; grim for Lib Dems. ComRes for ITVNews http://t.co/qnBs4nAYn7 http://t.co/fu8ZtsJUE8

"I currently spend more than I earn each month: 23% agree."

Hard days ahead.

http://comres.co.uk/poll/1337/itv-news-poll-half-think-the-government-has-not-got-the-deficit-under-control.htm
  • Options
    Socrates said:

But he has turned into a typical kipper - he sneers at the NHS - its 'ordinary' - it does not matter he cannot be bothered. Farage will love all that. I doubt the voters of Doncaster North will, or many more of the Labour voters Farage pretends he is after.
    The sad reality is that there are people like him and you who now find a happy home wallowing the mud of UKIP rather than face reality.
    Good Luck. Don't expect me to worry about you. But when you whip up hysteria and peddle ignorance you can expect me to point it out.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Even Richard Nabavi, who is far politer and reasoned than most, goes on silly little trips about how UKIP supporters don't really want to leave the EU and just like putting Ed Miliband in power.

Not UKIP supporters, the UKIP leadership. I simply don't understand how they can possibly have come to the view that what they are doing helps their cause. It simply makes no sense.
    As I've mentioned before several logical positions exist:

(a) You don't think there's much chance of David Cameron fulfilling his promise of agreeing a new settlement with the EU and holding a referendum
    (b) You believe Cameron, but don't think there's much chance of him getting an outright majority anyway
    (c) You support UKIP on several issues, of which an EU referendum is just one
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

You catch more flies with shit, so perhaps that's not the best analogy.

:-)
  • Options

Socrates said:

But he has turned into a typical kipper - he sneers at the NHS - its 'ordinary' - it does not matter he cannot be bothered. Farage will love all that. I doubt the voters of Doncaster North will, or many more of the Labour voters Farage pretends he is after.
    The sad reality is that there are people like him and you who now find a happy home wallowing the mud of UKIP rather than face reality.
    Good Luck. Don't expect me to worry about you. But when you whip up hysteria and peddle ignorance you can expect me to point it out.
    It is the Conservatives that peddle ignorance about EU migrants coming to claim benefits, not UKIP.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

Depends on the type of fly ... fruit flies much prefer red wine ...

• Options
    Mr. Socrates, I'd consider a) incorrect. I'm sure you've heard this line of reasoning before, but for newcomers:
    1) Cameron can only deliver it if he gets a majority (or perhaps coalition)
    2) He cannot back out of the referendum
    3) If he tried to Conservative MPs would axe him

It's inconceivable to me that Cameron could try and go without a referendum and survive as leader.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2014
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

Fruitcake for fruit flies, surely?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Even Richard Nabavi, who is far politer and reasoned than most, goes on silly little trips about how UKIP supporters don't really want to leave the EU and just like putting Ed Miliband in power. The first part of persuading people is acknowledging their existing views, and the Conservatives just can't seem to do that. There's quite a large air of entitlement to the votes of right-leaning people.
    There is that but Richard Nabavi has never been anything other than polite and respectful to me personally, even if I've found some of his arguments infuriating.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

Socrates said:

I tend to agree.

But those kippers that complain that they feel that they are being looked down on and abused for their choice by erstwhile comrades might care to reflect that their choice may have provoked genuine disdain.
    I think it's common to feel very bitter towards people who've switched away from your side. The heretic is always far more disliked than the infidel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2014
    BenM said:

BenM said:

Politicians have deluded themselves for decades about the extent the private sector can deliver cost savings for most public services.

None more so than New Labour.

And we see it with the weaselly "free at the point of use" trope the Tories and UKIP lean on like a crutch.
    Private / public isn't the issue. It's MARKETS and competition (genuine free open competition) that drives down cost and improves service. Right now in the UK we suffer from oligolopolistic crony corporatism, not free market competition in many areas. For example in education my own view is that best thing we could do would be to offer vouchers for all and nothing else whatsoever - totally disband the DoE and let the market deliver. It would. 1,000 times better than the divisive useless underperforming unequal shite we see today.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Scott_P said:

29% saying the economy will get better if the Conservatives win the GE, versus 18% if Labour do so, is not enough of a margin. The Conservatives have more to do to get the message across.

[Of course it's possible that there is a general and not unjustified pessimism about the economy - it might have been better if the question had been phrased more as a direct choice: a respondent might think the economy might not improve whoever is in power, but get substantially worse under one than the other, and the questions as asked won't capture that]
  • Options

I think that's got more to do with the national sweet tooth, than dentists.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

It's unfair to tar any political party by association with trolls on pbc who happen to support that party. Can you imagine anyone not voting for the Lib Dems because of the legendary rudeness of Colin W? It would be just as silly to abstain from voting Tory due to the constant trolling of the likes of Flightpath and that James Bond poster.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

There is that but Richard Nabavi has never been anything other than polite and respectful to me personally, even if I've found some of his arguments infuriating.

Casino, you yourself posted quite recently that you had ended your flirtation with UKIP because you saw Ed Miliband as just too great a danger. I put it to you that your reasoning at the time you wrote that is just as valid today.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Not UKIP supporters, the UKIP leadership. I simply don't understand how they can possibly have come to the view that what they are doing helps their cause. It makes no sense.
    I don't think we'd have even had an offer of an EU referendum on the table without UKIP. It's clear that the referendum (from a Conservative point of view) is a charade as almost all of them want to Stay In anyway, and will therefore recommend "Yes" to the electorate no matter what happens in the 'renegotiation'.
  • Options
    Mr. F, as the Byzantines said: better the sultan's turban than the cardinal's hat.

Mr. Neil, be fair. Mr. W's mother is perhaps the best poster (after Ave It) the site has had the good fortune to know.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    Scott_P said:

The ComRes poll was pretty poor for the Conservatives with just 30% support and to be honest the supplementaries are hardly a ringing endorsement of either Cameron or Osborne.

The only fig leaf they have left is that no one has much confidence in Miliband or Balls to make their lives any better.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    rcs1000 said:

@Socrates
    FPT

Excellent trolling
  • Options

I have held these views on the NHS for years.

You just find it easier to box people into stereotypes, and then to apply your prejudices accordingly, rather than engage with them. The latter might actually force you to think, which you are clearly uncomfortable in doing.

I've thought for a long time about the NHS and have worked in it in the past. I know a lot of decent people who work hard in the NHS. It does a good job and is working hard to be efficient, saving billions a year, and still deliver a good service.
    Its not ordinary and its is worth bothering about. It is worth reforming and the party that wants to reform it, not least by opening it up to private provision, is worth supporting instead if a crass party that does not care tuppence about splitting the right vote and delivering the UK to a europhile spendthrift Labour party.
    'Thinking' that it is a good idea or even remotely clever to vote UKIP is one of the saddest irrational thoughts anyone can have.

• Options
    Mr. Stodge, does make me wonder how turnout will be, given the question most appear to be asking themselves is "Who is less unimpressive?"
  • Options

Socrates said:

Did you even read my post? I've held those views on the NHS *for years*. That includes the many years when I was posting as a Tory on here. Incidentally, the views of most UKIP voters will be well to the left of mine - I was a broad supporter of Lansley's reforms - and still am.

You're just not listening. You'd prefer to stick your fingers in your ears, shout abuse and pretend it's not happening. That's because it makes it much easier for you to cope with.

Every single time you post bilge like this you increase the chances I will never vote Conservative again.
  • Options
    Neil said:

It's unfair to tar any political party by association with trolls on pbc who happen to support that party. Can you imagine anyone not voting for the Lib Dems because of the legendary rudeness of Colin W? It would be just as silly to abstain from voting Tory due to the constant trolling of the likes of Flightpath and that James Bond poster.
    It's not just posters on here though, is it? The leader of the Conservative party engages in the same abuse.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

It's clear that the referendum (from a Conservative point of view) is a charade as almost all of them want to Stay In anyway, and will therefore recommend "Yes" to the electorate no matter what happens in the 'renegotiation'.

I'd certainly disagree that 'almost all' Conservatives want to Stay In - there is a large proportion that certainly don't, and a larger proportion still who are sufficiently exasperated as to be potentially persuadable that the balance has shifted towards the Out side.

Leaving that aside, the fatal flaw in your argument is to conclude that that makes the referendum a charade. Of course it doesn't. If the Out side can make the case, they'll win the argument, and any shortcomings in the renegotiation will help them in that. That is the bit of the UKIP position which makes absolutely no sense whatsover - they should be PLEASED if Cameron can't get any significant concessions, and delighted to have the referendum on those terms.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

I tend to agree.

I think it's common to feel very bitter towards people who've switched away from your side. The heretic is always far more disliked than the infidel.
    I'm not a Conservative myself, so it's not my fight. But kippers are deluding themselves if they think that their choice is considered respectable by many:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/almost-a-quarter-of-british-voters-would-find-it-hard-to-stay-friends-with-a-ukip-supporter-9880412.html

Contradicting your theory, "The negativity was much more common among Labour (40 per cent) and lib Dem supporters (42 per cent) than among Conservative voters (13 per cent)."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    Anorak said:

Carnyx said:

Fruitcake for fruit flies, surely?
    Perhaps, but I am not sure if it is fresh enough to emit the esters they so love (seriously). The red wine thing came from a hint in New Scientist to clear your kitchen of drosophilids (leave a bottle with a few ccs in the bottom open)!

This reminds me (changing to dungflies) of a graffito I once saw in my university departmental toilet and which has always remained in my mind when contemplating certain chain restaurants and newspapers - eat shit, 1,000,000.000 flies can't be wrong ...

• Options
    ComRes - "Despite the economy growing, I don’t feel better off: 72%"

That's Labour's key message on the economy striking a chord with just under three quarters of voters. Resonance, or what?
  • Options
    My frustration with the Con to UKIP defectors is that David Cameron is about to become the third consecutive Tory PM to be destroyed by Europe.

The Tory party fault line is really starting to piss me off.

The last time we handed the country to Labour for thirteen years.

The country can't afford us to be so self indulgent.
  • Options

Mr. Stodge, does make me wonder how turnout will be, given the question most appear to be asking themselves is "Who is less unimpressive?"

I was wondering earlier who fiscal conservatives could support. There seems to be a weak case for UKIP (they do advocate some spending cuts), and no case for the others that I can see.

Lower turnout does seem likely.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Not UKIP supporters, the UKIP leadership. I simply don't understand how they can possibly have come to the view that what they are doing helps their cause. It simply makes no sense.

(a) You don't think there's much chance of David Cameron fulfilling his promise of agreeing a new settlement with the EU and holding a referendum
    (b) You believe Cameron, but don't think there's much chance of him getting an outright majority anyway
    Not sure if you're talking party members or leadership here Socrates but with regards (c) it is possibly (probably?) that they support UKIP in a general fashion unrelated to a particular policy/ies but more related to a feeling of anti-establishment force.

I doubt most UKIP voters or leaders pride themselves on other particular policies enough to be a more significant factor.
  • Options

I think turnout may surprise on the upside especially if it looks to be a close and uncertain race. The campaign will be critical - tomorrow marks the beginning of the pre-Campaign skirmishing and it won't really be until the Budget that we get a much clearer picture of the battle lines.

Sorry for drifting into military terminology but it's easy to do. Once again, I see the election potentially as Feb 74 redux with neither of the duopoly parties convincing and an insurgent gaining many votes but few seats.

• Options
    Mr. Dave, aye. I'd say I'm a liberal when it comes to freedom of speech (and spanking on camera. Bloody puritans), and pretty conservative economically.

So far the economy policies appear to be:
    spend too much
    spend far too much
    spend so much the island falls into the sea beneath the weight of debt
    sell ourselves to the EU and let them worry about it
  • Options
    edited December 2014

ComRes - "Despite the economy growing, I don’t feel better off: 72%"

That's Labour's key message on the economy striking a chord with just under three quarters of voters. Resonance, or what?

I doubt many of those people have any idea what Labour's key message is. They're just reporting personal experience.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

For months I've read reasoned and balanced arguments from posters i respect - you and Sean Fear

Casino, you yourself posted quite recently that you had ended your flirtation with UKIP because you saw Ed Miliband as just too great a danger. I put it to you that your reasoning at the time you wrote that is just as valid today.
    I did do exactly that. But a lot has changed in the last month. I just can't bring myself to support Cameron anymore. I don't trust him to deliver.

I live in a safe seat, so my vote won't make any difference anyway. If I lived in a marginal, it would depend on the candidate. I would vote for James Wharton in Stockton South, but I would vote UKIP in Broxtowe or wherever Farage was standing.

I could not in conscience campaign for the Conservatives either. I just can't defend their record on issues that matter to me.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @OliverCooper: Sweden's left-wing government will likely collapse, after just two months in office, as the nationalist SD say they'll oppose the budget.
  • Options

It's clear that the referendum (from a Conservative point of view) is a charade as almost all of them want to Stay In anyway, and will therefore recommend "Yes" to the electorate no matter what happens in the 'renegotiation'.

I'd certainly disagree that 'almost all' Conservatives want to Stay In - there is a large proportion that certainly don't, and a larger proportion still who are sufficiently exasperated as to be potentially persuadable that the balance has shifted towards the Out side.

Leaving that aside, the fatal flaw in your argument is to conclude that that makes the referendum a charade. Of course it doesn't. If the Out side can make the case, they'll win the argument, and any shortcomings in the renegotiation will help them in that. That is the bit of the UKIP position which makes absolutely no sense whatsover - they should be PLEASED if Cameron can't get any significant concessions, and delighted to have the referendum on those terms.
    The problem, and I view this from a non-Conservative perspective as well, is how Cameron will keep the Party together during and after the Referendum. This isn't like deciding on whether London should have a Mayor for example - the result, whichever way it goes, will have fundamental political ramifications.

Cameron has only managed to hold the line (to some extent) by promising a Referendum.
  • Options
    ChokinVaseChokinVase Posts: 67
    edited December 2014
    A modern, wealthy country should have an adequate safety net for those unable to fund their own healthcare. I have no ideological problem with that being provided by a state-funded healthcare system or by an insurance/other private model with a state-funded safety net , or some hybrid of the two which is what we're gradually moving towards over the past 20 years under both parties.

While basically libertarian, I do accept there are certain things the state can quite effectively and perhaps should do: defence, law & order, diplomacy/foreign policy, key infrastructure projects, etc. Some form of healthcare can be part of that mix.

There are obvious pros & cons to each model. Boiled down to basics: the fully private model offers the potential for unlimited world-class care but only if you can afford it; the state model offers comprehensive coverage for the population, albeit with some kind of rationing. If you think we don't already ration care in the NHS, you don't understand how it functions. Some of the rationing is evidence-based, but the majority is resource-based and so less obvious to most users. This has always been true, under every government.

A hybrid system would probably deliver the best healthcare for the most people, although the overall cost of healthcare as a percentage of GDP would certainly be higher under that model, with the difference coming from increased personal upfront costs via insurance premiums, co-payments and the like. As to which is the better balance of cost vs benefits; well, that's more a matter of personal politicals than anything else. It just depends what aspects of a healthcare delivery system you want to prioritise.

What is more indisputable is that the NHS needs a fundamental reorganisation to deliver its aims. Simon Stevens plan is a pretty decent starting point, and has gained tentative cross-party backing. Such agreement is a rare thing, and I hope it gets implemented.

It will require a vast internal reorganisation of services though, far greater and with more practical impact than any of the previous NHS reorganisations which have largely been about managerial structures and clarifying internal financial flows within the NHS. There's still more work to be done on that too though; more dynamic IT systems with the ability to properly track data, costs & outcomes would actually flag up the detailed changes in supply & demand that need to happen as outlined more broadly by the Stevens plan.

Arguing over whether the Conservatives or Labour can better deliver the above is good politics and resonated with the public, but I think the 34% in the poll suggesting that things (in terms of delivery to users) will be broadly the same under both parties are probably correct and when it comes to the general public's understanding of how the NHS works, the 10% saying they don't know are the most honest.
  • Options

My frustration with the Con to UKIP defectors is that David Cameron is about to become the third consecutive Tory PM to be destroyed by Europe.

So why does a euro-sceptic party vote for a euro-enthusiast leader, and then create so much grief for him? Why didn't you lot elect a leader who was prepared to say "Up Yours" to the eurofederalists, and lead the UK to the sunlit uplands of freedom? Next year, you'll have the chance to get it right (by electing PP or similar), and either extinguish the Kippers entirely or force them to become FN-UK and become an irrelevance.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

And hate, Mr. Royale, don't forget the hate. Almost every day on here I am told that as a supporter of UKIP my motive is hate. Apparently I hate people of a different religion, people born abroad, this country, the modern world and goodness knows what else besides. Why someone I have never met feels they know my motives better than I do, is beyond me, especially when I hatred is an emotion I don't use and certainly never express.

Then there is ignorance. You will have noticed that, besides being motivated by hate, all UKIP supporters are ignorant, at least according to some on here. I consider myself pretty well educated (bachelor's degrees in mathematics and history and post graduate qualifications) and reasonably well informed about current affairs and politics, yet I am told I am ignorant mainly because I feel I can no longer support the Conservative Party.

Why some posters feel the need to throw around stereotypes and insult people they have never met and do not know in the slightest is a mystery. When some of those same people support a party that is trying to attract UKIP supporters back, well I do wonder.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    @TSE

The nearest cineworld's round Manchester are in Didsbury, Stockport and Ashton, I'd recommend the latter one.

Thanks I will try that one then
  • Options
    stodge said:

The problem, and I view this from a non-Conservative perspective as well, is how Cameron will keep the Party together during and after the Referendum. This isn't like deciding on whether London should have a Mayor for example - the result, whichever way it goes, will have fundamental political ramifications.

True enough, but that's hardly likely to be a consideration for someone voting or thinking of voting UKIP. Why should they worry about whether the Conservative Party stays united? Rather the reverse, surely?
  • Options

I think that's got more to do with the national sweet tooth, than dentists.
    Americans have an atrocious diet and arguably use even more sugar than we do.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Casino,

I do think that Cameron will deliver on the referendum - his party would simply not allow him to renege - he would be out of office without delay. After that, neither Cameron nor his views will matter that much because in a referendum it will all be down to the people as a whole. He may be the best of a poor bunch but he is worth supporting for that reason if none other. We will get our referendum, and even pro-Europeans should welcome that because it is an opportunity for them too.
  • Options

Socrates said:

I don't think we'd have even had an offer of an EU referendum on the table without UKIP. It's clear that the referendum (from a Conservative point of view) is a charade as almost all of them want to Stay In anyway, and will therefore recommend "Yes" to the electorate no matter what happens in the 'renegotiation'.
    Meantim UKIP will recommend NO.
    Your argument is a crass one, even taken at its own level.

As far as the EU goes, we are not in the Euro and will not be as long as we have a Tory govt. Not being in the Euro will inevitably mean a renegotiation, its nothing to do with UKIP. The Euro will draw that zone together and not us (unless we have PM Miliband) There is in any event a clear anti EU section of the tory party which does not like the EU and wants a referendum. The govt have introduced referendum locks anyway which were in its 2010 manifesto.

So your argument regularly falls down. The point really is that we would get a referendum, something you seem to be afraid of. I want one.

It would not bother me if we were in the EEA. In reality being in or out of the EU will not affect immigration much in the short term. The more we have growth and new jobs then we will need immigration. Take a look at non-EU countries take a look at developed countries everywhere. What will effect, ie slow down, EU immigration is rising prosperity in the accession countries over time. For lots of reasons i look forward to a wealthy prosperous Poland.
    I suspect socialist govts abroad will continie to export wealthy immigrant entrepreneurs to us no matter what the relative wealth. But aside from that when the accession counties gain in wealth they will become markets for our goods and we will have to work out how to produce them. I don't see Labour and its Union backers having the answer to the education and welfare reform needed. Unlike you I have my priorities right. I hate and distrust Labour far more than the Conservatives.
  • Options
    This does not in anyway reinforce any stereotypes about the French

Jihadists in Syria write home to France: 'My iPod is broken. I want to come back'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/11268208/Jihadists-in-Syria-write-home-to-France-My-iPod-is-broken.-I-want-to-come-back.html
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@OliverCooper: Sweden's left-wing government will likely collapse, after just two months in office, as the nationalist SD say they'll oppose the budget.

If only the Lib Dems had done the same in 2010.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

And (d) the way to win a referendum on leaving the EU is to maximise the number of elected representatives who are in favour of leaving.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

I tend to agree.

I'm not a Conservative myself, so it's not my fight. But kippers are deluding themselves if they think that their choice is considered respectable by many:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/almost-a-quarter-of-british-voters-would-find-it-hard-to-stay-friends-with-a-ukip-supporter-9880412.html

Contradicting your theory, "The negativity was much more common among Labour (40 per cent) and lib Dem supporters (42 per cent) than among Conservative voters (13 per cent)."
    There's very ardent dislike and personal prejudice by a small chunk of angry right-on types. Their ardency isn't evidence such views are widespread.
  • Options

@TSE

The nearest cineworld's round Manchester are in Didsbury, Stockport and Ashton, I'd recommend the latter one.

Thanks I will try that one then

Use the tram to get you to Ashton
  • Options

That's because there's a fundamental conflict at the heart of the Tory party: it professes to be the party of patriotism and national sovereignty but that's completely neutered by its dogmatic belief in continued EU membership. We've moved from favouring ERM, to 'wait and see' on the euro, to 'not in the next parliament', to 'no euro ever', to 'no more powers to Brussels' to 'renegotating our relationship'.

The direction of travel is a good one but it's not fast enough. Things are at a head in this country now. This conflict will only end when we finally leave the EU for good, which we will.
  • Options

So why does a euro-sceptic party vote for a euro-enthusiast leader, and then create so much grief for him? Why didn't you lot elect a leader who was prepared to say "Up Yours" to the eurofederalists, and lead the UK to the sunlit uplands of freedom? Next year, you'll have the chance to get it right (by electing PP or similar), and either extinguish the Kippers entirely or force them to become FN-UK and become an irrelevance.
    Because by 2005 we had decided that we wanted to win and opposition sucks.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Scott_P said:

If only the Lib Dems had done the same in 2010.
    There would have been a fresh general election, which the Conservatives would probably have won outright.

• Options

The direction of travel is a good one but it's not fast enough. Things are at a head in this country now. This conflict will only end when we finally leave the EU for good, which we will.

The opportunity is in 2017, or would be if UKIP weren't trying to torpedo it.
  • Options
    Mr. F, not necessarily. Observe the fall-out from the Scottish vote. It doesn't feel like a No victory but a slower triumph for Yes.
  • Options

And hate, Mr. Royale, don't forget the hate. Almost every day on here I am told that as a supporter of UKIP my motive is hate. Apparently I hate people of a different religion, people born abroad, this country, the modern world and goodness knows what else besides. Why someone I have never met feels they know my motives better than I do, is beyond me, especially when I hatred is an emotion I don't use and certainly never express.

Then there is ignorance. You will have noticed that, besides being motivated by hate, all UKIP supporters are ignorant, at least according to some on here. I consider myself pretty well educated (bachelor's degrees in mathematics and history and post graduate qualifications) and reasonably well informed about current affairs and politics, yet I am told I am ignorant mainly because I feel I can no longer support the Conservative Party.

Why some posters feel the need to throw around stereotypes and insult people they have never met and do not know in the slightest is a mystery. When some of those same people support a party that is trying to attract UKIP supporters back, well I do wonder.
    What's amazing is that such remarks often come from supporters of the Labour Party. This is a party who have a leading candidate for Mayor of London who think "blonde-haired blue-eyed Finnish girls" shouldn't be allowed to be nurses in her borough, who believes that Afro-Caribbean mothers love their children more than mothers of other races and who has publicly said that "white people love to play divide and rule". In other words, a woman who is clearly an out-and-out publicly-documented racist, and they welcome her with open arms to run for the nomination of one of the biggest offices in the land.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    antifrank said:

FPT:

“I’ve said very clearly that an SNP group of MPs in the House of Commons will never put the Conservatives into government; we would never be part of a government with the Conservatives. "

I think I detect a little weaselly bit of wriggle room there. OK, they wouldn't be part of a coalition (not that they would be invited to be, I imagine), and they wouldn't put the Conservatives into government, but has not she not left open the possibility that they might not put the Conservatives out of government?
    Nor would they want to either
This discussion has been closed.