Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Under single constituency first past the post system nation

SystemSystem Posts: 11,695
edited November 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Under single constituency first past the post system national aggregate vote totals don’t mean that much

There’s lots of talk at the moment about the electoral “system being bust” and “no longer fit for purpose”. What is being pointed to are possible disparities between national aggregate vote shares and the total of MPs each party gets.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    StonchStonch Posts: 42
    first?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    In summary - votes are for show only - it's seats wot count.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    TGOHF said:

And when you get essentially the same policies which ever way you vote...
  • Options
    Seems it wasn't just the Daily Mail hating after all, well who would have thought it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11240700/School-marked-down-by-Ofsted-for-being-too-white.html
    In a report, inspectors said the school was “not yet outstanding” because pupils’ cultural development was limited by a “lack of first-hand experience of the diverse make up of modern British society”.
    Ofsted denied it was marked down for that reason, but its going to be hard work to sell the parents, or come to that, the public on that.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

And when you get essentially the same policies which ever way you vote...
    Thats not the case right now. Big gap between Ed Labour and Con.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2841227/Is-2million-house-near-Miliband-comes-fire-mansion-tax-new-heat-map-reveals-multi-million-pound-property-sale-1995.html

It is estimated that 108,000 homes – the vast majority in London and the South East – will be caught by the tax.

108,000 homes at £3000 each is less than a third of a billion, not exactly the 1.5bn Balls was promising, he would have to charge £15k/year to make that. Another money making wheeze bites the dust.

POEWAS
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The range 45-50% for the UKIP share in Rochester is now favourite with Betfair users:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/market?marketId=1.115925336
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Indigo said:

Seems it wasn't just the Daily Mail hating after all, well who would have thought it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11240700/School-marked-down-by-Ofsted-for-being-too-white.html

In a report, inspectors said the school was “not yet outstanding” because pupils’ cultural development was limited by a “lack of first-hand experience of the diverse make up of modern British society”.
    Ofsted denied it was marked down for that reason, but its going to be hard work to sell the parents, or come to that, the public on that.

While I bow to no-one in my dislike of political correctness (and dislike for the state's involvement in the provision of certain services), I suspect this was one of about 1,000 reasons. So, were you to be in possession of the full report, I would guess it would read something like this:

School x was rated as very good, rather than outstanding because

1. Value add per pupil was 0.86 vs an average for excellent schools of 0.97
    2. Deficencies in the teaching of maths that led to 54% of pupils failing to make key stage 8
    3. Failure to provide adequate support for students with learning issues
    107. Lack of first-hand experience of the diverse make up of modern British society
    944. Pastoral care, while good, could have done better in areas of chapter 13, 14, and 15.

Of course, I could be wrong. But I have spent as much time with journalists as politicians. And I have come to be every bit as cynical about the latter as the former.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Article recommended by Matthew Goodwin:

"The void in British politics"

http://blogs.ft.com/off-message/2014/11/19/the-void-in-british-politics/
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

While I bow to no-one in my dislike of political correctness (and dislike for the state's involvement in the provision of certain services), I suspect this was one of about 1,000 reasons. So, were you to be in possession of the full report, I would guess it would read something like this:

2. Deficencies in the teaching of maths that led to 54% of pupils failing to make key stage 8
    107. Lack of first-hand experience of the diverse make up of modern British society
    944. Pastoral care, while good, could have done better in areas of chapter 13, 14, and 15.

Of course, I could be wrong. But I have spent as much time with journalists as politicians. And I have come to be every bit as cynical about the latter as the former.

The report summary lists six reasons why it is a good school, good behaviour, good leadership, safe, interesting etc, and then
    It is not yet an outstanding school because
    * Occasionally, pupils are given work which is too easy or too hard. This prevents them from making more rapid progress.
    * There are insufficient opportunities for teachers to improve their skills by observing best practice in the school and elsewhere.
    * Pupils’ cultural development is limited by a lack of first-hand experience of the diverse make up of modern British society
    http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/provider/files/2432799/urn/120463.pdf
    As one of the parents interviewed commented "We are a small rural community in Lincolnshire, there just aren't many children here from different backgrounds. The staff can't just wander the streets forcing people to come and attend.”
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    If the legitimacy of the outcome of a general election is questioned on national aggregate votes share grounds there is one simple response – the legitimacy derives from the nation voting overwhelmingly in May 2011 to retain the first past the post system.

What an excellent point, Mike.
  • Options

If the legitimacy of the outcome of a general election is questioned on national aggregate votes share grounds there is one simple response – the legitimacy derives from the nation voting overwhelmingly in May 2011 to retain the first past the post system.

What an excellent point, Mike.

The electorate didn't say they liked FPTP, or they thought it was the right/correct/balanced/best/most legitimate way to elect a government, or at least we are not entitled to draw that conclusion from the information available, they said they didn't want to replace it with AV which may well have been because they thought it would make a bad situation worse, or because they thought it would be a marginal improvement that would be used as a reason not to make a much bigger improvement later.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2841227/Is-2million-house-near-Miliband-comes-fire-mansion-tax-new-heat-map-reveals-multi-million-pound-property-sale-1995.html

It is estimated that 108,000 homes – the vast majority in London and the South East – will be caught by the tax.

108,000 homes at £3000 each is less than a third of a billion, not exactly the 1.5bn Balls was promising, he would have to charge £15k/year to make that. Another money making wheeze bites the dust.

POEWAS

Multiple the 108,000 by at least 4x the number of people who will worry that they may be caught by it, even if not at the moment true, and you have 500,000 people. I'm not enamoured of the idea that anyone is more important than another. However, a lot of those 500,000 are influential people: movers and shakers. The ones who are left-leaning would have supported Tony Blair's New Labour because they could have a social conscience and help build a better society without themselves getting clobbered too heavily. Now, in one fell swoop Labour have dangled the Sword of Damocles above their heads.

It is the stupidest policy by a major political party since Michael Foot's unilateral nuclear disarmament. It may have huge implications for Labour in London.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760

Indigo said:

POEWAS

Multiple the 108,000 by at least 4x the number of people who will worry that they may be caught by it, even if not at the moment true, and you have 500,000 people. I'm not enamoured of the idea that anyone is more important than another. However, a lot of those 500,000 are influential people: movers and shakers. The ones who are left-leaning would have supported Tony Blair's New Labour because they could have a social conscience and help build a better society without themselves getting clobbered too heavily. Now, in one fell swoop Labour have dangled the Sword of Damocles above their heads.

It is the stupidest policy by a major political party since Michael Foot's unilateral nuclear disarmament. It may have huge implications for Labour in London.
    Oh don't be ridiculous there are lots stupid policies around, it's a golden time for them. Who can beat the idiocy of David Willetts and the mess of Uni fees or Osborne's pasty tax ?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Indeed. Its not even just the opinion formers. A four bedroom semi in a slightly shabby part of Wandsworth goes for about £2m, there are almost 700 properties valued at over £2m in Haringey for heaven sakes.

Oh don't be ridiculous there are lots stupid policies around, it's a golden time for them. Who can beat the idiocy of David Willetts and the mess of Uni fees or Osborne's pasty tax ?

But Labour only have two policies, this one is stupid, the other one is "not being the Tories"

• Options
    Indigo said:

Indeed. Its not even just the opinion formers. A four bedroom semi in a slightly shabby part of Wandsworth goes for about £2m, there are almost 700 properties valued at over £2m in Haringey for heaven sakes.

But Labour only have two policies, this one is stupid, the other one is "not being the Tories"

I'm surprised you think it's as high as two ;-)
  • Options

Indigo said:

POEWAS

Are you one of those people who struggles to be nice in the mornings? You did the same yesterday!

No I don't think the Uni fees or pasty tax are comparable. The Mansion Tax has alienated a lot of very influential people not simply in business but also in the print media; actors; directors, writers, musicians. The list could go on, but hopefully you get the point. It's what are disparagingly called the New Labour luvvies who have been hit by this and they're a different kind of core supporter. Left-leaning, highly influential, people.

I think they would lose without it, but Miliband's Mansion Tax may have cost Labour the General Election.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014
    Two more Tories to defect according to the newspapers this morning......

Don't think Nadine is one of them but she will have to defect if she wants my vote again.
  • Options
    Good old Torygraph.

Big tirade about how UKIP is bad for politics, and somehow they fail to mention anywhere in the article that the author is Deputy Chairman of the Bermondsey & Old Southwark Conservative Association.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11239989/The-rise-of-Ukip-has-been-bad-for-British-politics.html
  • Options

Indigo said:

POEWAS

Are you one of those people who struggles to be nice in the mornings? You did the same yesterday!

No I don't think the Uni fees or pasty tax are comparable. The Mansion Tax has alienated a lot of very influential people not simply in business but also in the print media; actors; directors, writers, musicians. The list could go on, but hopefully you get the point. It's what are disparagingly called the New Labour luvvies who have been hit by this and they're a different kind of core supporter. Left-leaning, highly influential, people.

I think they would lose without it, but Miliband's Mansion Tax may have cost Labour the General Election.
    I guess I'm just old and mean and bitter and twisted inside; all those years voting Conservative does that to a man.

But if you think hitting parents and students with an extra £20k of uni tax doesn't piss them off you're mistaken. Cleggy is now paying the price at the polls and all of us will pay the price in our taxes as the policy is a fkup.

I didn't see the luvvies trying to storm Labour CCHQ yesterday.
  • Options

A direct consequence of that result is that national aggregate vote totals can not be said to reflect what voters’ first choices are. So you cannot draw many firm conclusions from them.

Election results under STV are calculated for the UK under the assumption that people's voting choices will remain largely unchanged with a new voting system. For the last few elections this has created hypothetical election results that see the Liberal Democrats gain vast numbers of extra seats under STV then they do with FPTP - thus creating the impression that the Liberal Democrats are only interested in STV for reasons of self-interest.

At GE2015 it could be that FPTP is the only thing that sustains the Liberal Democrats as a major party of consequence at Westminster, and the relatively poor showing by the Liberal Democrats in the PR system for the European Parliament elections suggests that - free of the tyranny of tactical voting - the Liberal Democrats would receive surprisingly few votes in Westminster elections where national aggregate vote totals were mroe important.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Don't think Nadine is one of them but she will have to defect if she wants my vote again.

That'd be according to Reckless, who is of course an expert in all things pigdog traitor.
  • Options

At GE2015 it could be that FPTP is the only thing that sustains the Liberal Democrats as a major party of consequence at Westminster, and the relatively poor showing by the Liberal Democrats in the PR system for the European Parliament elections suggests that - free of the tyranny of tactical voting - the Liberal Democrats would receive surprisingly few votes in Westminster elections where national aggregate vote totals were mroe important.

Whilst at the same time UKIP hoover up vast numbers of second preference votes from Tories and WWC Labour that can't bring themselves to defect.
  • Options

We discussed this last night. Reckless's timing and choice of language clearly suggests it's an untrue story. So the bigger question is why? Why would he feel the need to make something up at this juncture?

The obvious two possibilities are that:

Either he is a bit wet and can't hold his nerve
    Or it's squeaky bum time and closer than he wanted.

It could be a combination of the two. I still think UKIP will win, and win clear, but it looks like it could be in single figures now rather than the thumping victory UKIP expected when they polled before his defection. That explains the Reckless fabrication.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    "If the legitimacy of the outcome of a general election is questioned on national aggregate votes share grounds there is one simple response – the legitimacy derives from the nation voting overwhelmingly in May 2011 to retain the first past the post system."

This isn't true at all. I supported AV, but we can't pretend that the public's preferred system isn't proportional representation.
  • Options

We discussed this last night. Reckless's timing and choice of language clearly suggests it's an untrue story. So the bigger question is why? Why would he feel the need to make something up at this juncture?....
    Oftentimes this sort of story arises because a politician such as Reckless has simply given an honest answer to a journalist trying to confect a story out of thin air.

So the "curious timing" as you put it might not be indicative of any motivation on the part of Reckless, but simply because he answered the questions of a journalist who was looking for easy copy to publish.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

At GE2015 it could be that FPTP is the only thing that sustains the Liberal Democrats as a major party of consequence at Westminster, and the relatively poor showing by the Liberal Democrats in the PR system for the European Parliament elections suggests that - free of the tyranny of tactical voting - the Liberal Democrats would receive surprisingly few votes in Westminster elections where national aggregate vote totals were more important.

Whilst at the same time UKIP hoover up vast numbers of second preference votes from Tories and WWC Labour that can't bring themselves to defect.
    The evidence appears to be that UKIP would be the least transfer-friendly of the big five parties (in England).

That said much of the current national vote share in opinion polls for UKIP appears to be motivated by conviction and principle, rather than local tactical voting considerations, so you would expect that it would survive the transition to a PR system. Though the turnout is low, and some Conservatives may lend their vote to UKIP to make a point, it's interesting that UKIP have always out performed their national vote share in the Westminster opinion polls in the European Parliament elections (under PR).
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Oftentimes this sort of story arises because a politician such as Reckless has simply given an honest answer to a journalist trying to confect a story out of thin air.

"Hello Mr Reckless, This is Bob from The Daily Libel"
    "Hello, how can I help you"
    "It looking good for your team tomorrow, do you think there will be any more defections"
    "Well I can't really say, its up to the individual members"
    "Surely you must have some idea"
    "Well I have spoken to a few people of course but I doubt they will defect this close to an election"
    "So can you rule out any more defections to UKIP"
    "Of course I can't, there is always a chance there might be one or two"
    "Thank you for your time"

Headline: "Reckless: Two defections to UKIP"

• Options

A direct consequence of that result is that national aggregate vote totals can not be said to reflect what voters’ first choices are. So you cannot draw many firm conclusions from them.

Election results under STV are calculated for the UK under the assumption that people's voting choices will remain largely unchanged with a new voting system. For the last few elections this has created hypothetical election results that see the Liberal Democrats gain vast numbers of extra seats under STV then they do with FPTP - thus creating the impression that the Liberal Democrats are only interested in STV for reasons of self-interest.

STV should be introduced because it is the best proportional system. A proportional system should be introduced because it would reflect what people want. It is true that voters would not need to vote tactically so they would vote differently. Probably the LibDems would get fewer votes. Since they don't get the number of seats that their vote share would imply, it is difficult to say whether that would result in fewer, more or the same number of seats. The change should be made for the benefit of the electorate not for any particular Party.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,030
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

The report summary lists six reasons why it is a good school, good behaviour, good leadership, safe, interesting etc, and then
    * Occasionally, pupils are given work which is too easy or too hard. This prevents them from making more rapid progress.
    * There are insufficient opportunities for teachers to improve their skills by observing best practice in the school and elsewhere.
    * Pupils’ cultural development is limited by a lack of first-hand experience of the diverse make up of modern British society
    As one of the parents interviewed commented "We are a small rural community in Lincolnshire, there just aren't many children here from different backgrounds. The staff can't just wander the streets forcing people to come and attend.”
    I thought one of UKIP’s selling points was the number in immigrants in rural communities taking jobs etc tec
  • Options

Indigo said:

At GE2015 it could be that FPTP is the only thing that sustains the Liberal Democrats as a major party of consequence at Westminster, and the relatively poor showing by the Liberal Democrats in the PR system for the European Parliament elections suggests that - free of the tyranny of tactical voting - the Liberal Democrats would receive surprisingly few votes in Westminster elections where national aggregate vote totals were more important.

The evidence appears to be that UKIP would be the least transfer-friendly of the big five parties (in England).

That said much of the current national vote share in opinion polls for UKIP appears to be motivated by conviction and principle, rather than local tactical voting considerations, so you would expect that it would survive the transition to a PR system. Though the turnout is low, and some Conservatives may lend their vote to UKIP to make a point, it's interesting that UKIP have always out performed their national vote share in the Westminster opinion polls in the European Parliament elections (under PR).
    The Observer/Opinium poll in the Guardian last month showed 31% of voters would back Nigel Farage’s party if they believed it could win in their constituency, presumably a lot of those are voting CON or LAB at the moment because they dont think UKIP can cut the mustard in their constituency, I would have expected those to be all second preference votes for UKIP since it removes the risk of letting LAB in by splitting the vote.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,350
    Where I think Mike is right is that the legitimacy of a UK government is determined by the question of whether they have a majority in the House of Commons or not. The fact Blair had a substantial majority as a result of his 35.2% in 2005 meant that the "legitimacy" of his government simply did not arise despite the fact that he won fewer votes and by a far smaller margin than Cameron did.

The pernicious effects of FPTP have been that it has over time resulted in the recreation of an ever increasing number of rotten burghs where voting is pointless. Turnout has suffered as a result. 30-40 years ago where the Tories were competitive in large parts of Scotland and Labour in large parts of the south the system worked tolerably well (unless you were a Lib Dem of course). It encouraged broad church parties who could appeal to a sufficiently broad range of voters and generally kept both of our main parties within at least touching distance of some middle ground. Those that stepped off it, such as Foot's labour party, were severely punished.

As we go towards a multiparty system combined with areas of regional strength it clearly works less well. The Scottish "top up" system for the Scottish Parliament is worth a look at as an alternative. But we would need to at least halve the number of constituency MPs for that to work. Turkeys and Christmas come to mind and not just because of the weather.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

I thought one of UKIP’s selling points was the number in immigrants in rural communities taking jobs etc tec

I think UKIPs main selling point is not being CON, LAB or LIB to be honest, I doubt most of their voters even look at the manifesto, as I said before its the "dispossessed social conservative vote", the "left behind vote", the "inchoate rage vote", the "a plague on all their houses vote" and the "none of the above vote"... but votes never the less, and ones that the main parties with their liberal sensibilities appear happy to lose. Farage probably listens to all the insults, and then cries all the way to the polling booth.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    For all the talk of tactical voting, marginals v non marginals etc,the aggregate vote shares in 2010 and the swing from 2005 gave good indications of overall seat changes.Applying UNS to the 2005 results gives a forecast of 86 Con Gains, (actual 97),82 Labour losses (actual 91) and 4 Lib Dem losses(actual 5).
    I would wager that in the GE 2015 UNS will still be a good indicator of the actual result in spite of complications from 4 party contests.However I would also wager that there will be quite rightly a huge call for proper PR from UKIP,the Greens and and the Lib Dems. If Labour get the the largest number of seats but a vote share below the Tories we could have even the Cons calling for PR!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The pernicious effects of FPTP have been that it has over time resulted in the recreation of an ever increasing number of rotten burghs where voting is pointless. Turnout has suffered as a result. 30-40 years ago where the Tories were competitive in large parts of Scotland and Labour in large parts of the south the system worked tolerably well (unless you were a Lib Dem of course). It encouraged broad church parties who could appeal to a sufficiently broad range of voters and generally kept both of our main parties within at least touching distance of some middle ground. Those that stepped off it, such as Foot's labour party, were severely punished.

I think the development of detailed computerised voter modelling has also played a significant part. The parties have realised that they can largely ignore whole areas of the country and pitch to a very small audience in a handful of marginals. Modelling will tell them in which streets in which constituencies they will win or lose elections, and hence the characteristics of the voters to which they should pander. One of the reasons the main parties are so p*ssed off with UKIP/SNP I suspect is that what was taken to be the eternal verities of winning elections has just been blasted out the window. The long ignored voters suddenly found someone else to vote for.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Those personages who support STV should be consigned to a small island where they might hold continuous elections to select their leader for the week and have intimate relations based on multi members, quotas and transfers.

South Georgia appears available ....
  • Options
    Something to cheer George up while he braces himself for yet more bad news on borrowing tomorrow: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/11241579/UK-is-most-entrepreneurial-country-in-Europe.html

The UK is 4th in the world on an entrepreneurial index, its highest ever rating and well ahead of its main competitors in the EU. These tables involve so many value judgments as to be highly suspect but those that claim this government has done nothing for business, yes, I mean you Alanbrooke, should reflect on the fact that things could be much worse and almost certainly will be if Ed gets in.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Something to cheer George up while he braces himself for yet more bad news on borrowing tomorrow: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/11241579/UK-is-most-entrepreneurial-country-in-Europe.html

The UK is 4th in the world on an entrepreneurial index, its highest ever rating and well ahead of its main competitors in the EU. These tables involve so many value judgments as to be highly suspect but those that claim this government has done nothing for business, yes, I mean you Alanbrooke, should reflect on the fact that things could be much worse and almost certainly will be if Ed gets in.

That is one awful bar chart in there.... let me just fetch the bleach for my eyes.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    DavidL said:

Step forward St Vince of the Cable ....

Incoming ....

• Options
    Indigo said:

DavidL said:

I think the development of detailed computerised voter modelling has also played a significant part. The parties have realised that they can largely ignore whole areas of the country and pitch to a very small audience in a handful of marginals. Modelling will tell them in which streets in which constituencies they will win or lose elections, and hence the characteristics of the voters to which they should pander. One of the reasons the main parties are so p*ssed off with UKIP/SNP I suspect is that what was taken to be the eternal verities of winning elections has just been blasted out the window. The long ignored voters suddenly found someone else to vote for.
    I agree. Upstart parties such as the SNP and UKIP show the capacity of FPTP to renew itself but as a former member of the SDP Alliance I know from bitter experience that capacity is sometimes over stated. I suspect UKIP in particular will prove this again. The SNP have the regional advantage I talked of which could help them considerably.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,134
    edited November 2014
    JackW said:

Those personages who support STV should be consigned to a small island where they might hold continuous elections to select their leader for the week and have intimate relations based on multi members, quotas and transfers.

Oi, you leave South Georgia alone! It's lovely as it is....

Ascension, on the other hand, is a bit of a hole....
  • Options
    edited November 2014

JackW said:

So it is .... Deal.

Never let it be said JackW isn't open to reasoned debate.

• Options
    FPTP made the anti-Tory Party the most powerful and motivated political force in the UK. It remains very strong. But the anti-Labour Party is now growing in force - particularly in Scotland. It's no way to run a country.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    JackW said:

Oh dear, and I thought STV would give the Jacobites seats in proportion to their support amongst the voters.
  • Options
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

Step forward St Vince of the Cable ....

Incoming ....

It is certainly something the Lib Dems should not allow George to claim all credit for. I saw PMQs for the first time in ages yesterday and it really looked like DC had forgotten completely that he led a Coalition government.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

JackW said:

Oh dear, and I thought STV would give the Jacobites seats in proportion to their support amongst the voters.
    Ascension Island has plenty of room for other selected PB malcontents who dispute the electoral strength of the mighty Jacobite hordes.

• Options
    DavidL said:

It is certainly something the Lib Dems should not allow George to claim all credit for. I saw PMQs for the first time in ages yesterday and it really looked like DC had forgotten completely that he led a Coalition government.

To be fair his coalition partners have been giving that impression for some time, pretty much since the boundary changes went in the bin.

• Options
    JackW said:

Icarus said:

JackW said:

Ascension Island has plenty of room for other selected PB malcontents who dispute the electoral strength of the mighty Jacobite hordes.

There's always Southern Thule for the worst of the lot ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

As we go towards a multiparty system combined with areas of regional strength it clearly works less well. The Scottish "top up" system for the Scottish Parliament is worth a look at as an alternative. But we would need to at least halve the number of constituency MPs for that to work. Turkeys and Christmas come to mind and not just because of the weather.

There are a few features of the Additional Member System used in Holyrood and Cardiff that I have come to quite dislike. In particular the tendency for some parties - including the Greens - to not bother to stand in the Constituencies, but only on the regional lists, is really not desirable at all.

There are also some fairly devious tactical voting considerations that come into play - if your preferred party is likely to do well in the constituencies then voting for them in the regional lists is almost pointless, as they could win enough FPTP constituencies not to be able to win any top-up seats - thus you are encouraged to vote for a different party to your first choice.

Such a top-up system would be better (I think) if the regional seats were allocated on the basis of the aggregate votes in the constituencies in that region, rather than having two separate votes. Unfortunately you are then forced to use a closed list system, under which Neil Hamilton might still be an elected member of our national Parliament.

Oh, and one option that would avoid having to reduce the number of constituencies for the Commons would be to have the "top-up" MPs become members of an elected House of Lords.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    The real problem is the not-quite-federal system we have in the UK. See the political capital that the SNP got from rallying against a "Tory government in London" even though the SNP have a majority government in Scotland but not quite enough to be able to take much blame. Just imagine, for example, if the Tories got most seats and votes in England but had to put up with a Labour-led government in London. Maybe unlikely now with a Labour collapse in Scotland and (possible) in Wales...
  • Options
    Mike regularly makes the following point, or variants upon it:

"To many, in any case, their vote is for an individual not a party or a potential prime minister. Incumbency can be a key element thus undermining a bit further the idea that national party totals are important."

I wholly disagree with this "many". I wonder if it is perhaps more true from a LibDem perspective, but it does not sit with my observations of getting on for 40 years door-knocking wearing the blue rosette. My experience is the overwhelming consideration for general election voters is party. Then leaders can be a significant factor (Thatcher - both pro and very anti; Kinnock very anti, Blair very pro, Howard anti, Brown - some pro but mostly strongly anti, and with Miliband being strongly anti unless some remarkable change occurs).

Personal votes for candidates are certainly there, but to balance this, I often find just as many who were really underwhelmed with their sitting MP. "What's (s)he done for me/the constituency? Bugger all...."
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

Icarus said:

JackW said:

There's always Southern Thule for the worst of the lot ;)
    Excellent intervention from my honourable friend.

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2014
    Come on Kelly!!!

[not James]
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Unless it is on the chances of a certain Edward Miliband becoming Prime Minister?

• Options
    Hmm Tory last matched at 48... the late swing sure is taking it's time!
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Unless it is on the chances of a certain Edward Miliband becoming Prime Minister?

Hardly a matter for debate. It's been a given since 2010 as I may have mentioned on the odd occasion.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    The four most entrepreneurial countries in the world are the four largest ones of British settlement:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/11241579/UK-is-most-entrepreneurial-country-in-Europe.html

Why on Earth did we throw our lot in with France and Italy round that nations we are so much more alike, and that have our economically competitive philosophy?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited November 2014
    Millsy said:

The real problem is the not-quite-federal system we have in the UK. See the political capital that the SNP got from rallying against a "Tory government in London" even though the SNP have a majority government in Scotland but not quite enough to be able to take much blame. Just imagine, for example, if the Tories got most seats and votes in England but had to put up with a Labour-led government in London. Maybe unlikely now with a Labour collapse in Scotland and (possible) in Wales...

Do not see a Labour collapse in Wales - the last refuge of the unthinking and unthinkable. They also are scared of independence and so having to rely on their own economy - much easier to moan about what Westminster gives them.
  • Options
    OT

Brent Crude seems to be hovering ~$78.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Audreyanne

"The Mansion Tax has alienated a lot of very influential people not simply in business but also in the print media; actors; directors, writers, musicians. The list could go on, but hopefully you get the point. It's what are disparagingly called the New Labour luvvies who have been hit by this and they're a different kind of core supporter. Left-leaning, highly influential, people."

What Tories can't get is that the reason these people are 'New Labour Luvvies' is because they believe in the wealthy paying more tax and they include themselves. If they had the mindset of what's mine is mine and the government can keep their hands off it they'd be Tories like Myleene and Griff.
  • Options
    Overcrowding in London now means that living rooms are becoming a thing of the past for young professionals:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/11239064/Young-Londoners-forced-to-eat-on-the-landing-and-hang-out-on-the-stairs.html
  • Options
    Socrates said:

The four most entrepreneurial countries in the world are the four largest ones of British settlement:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/11241579/UK-is-most-entrepreneurial-country-in-Europe.html

Why on Earth did we throw our lot in with France and Italy round that nations we are so much more alike, and that have our economically competitive philosophy?

I agree with your sentiment at the end there.
  • Options

Indigo said:

POEWAS

As an aside, although Willetts is invariably blamed, I do not think he is responsible for the university fees and loans mess. The core problem is the Treasury and Conservative Party (draw your own Venn diagrams) refused to countenance a graduate tax or indeed anything that could be called a tax. The papers are now catching up with what has been posted here over the years -- that with likely non-repayment rates, this might even turn out more expensive than the old grant system.

Ironically, what we got, which is loans with income-contingent repayments, might actually be a bloody good idea, but just not for this. If I were a (Shadow) Treasury SpAd, I'd be looking hard for other grants that could be turned into income-contingent loans.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Over-reaction to the loss of Empire? Awe at Germany's post-war economic recovery? Desire to be a big fish in the European pond, rather than a minnow swimming in the wake of the US? Too much Classical education encouraging a fondness for the grandeur that was Rome?

Do you have any hypotheses?
  • Options
    What time do I collect my £10,000+ winnings on Kelly....

1am or later?

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good luck to Mark Reckless and the whole UKIP team in Rochester and Strood. Knock 'em dead!
  • Options
    On entrepreneurialism - in my little sector literally every single one of our competitors is UK-based. What makes that so extraordinary is that the US is by far our biggest market. Yet there is no US-based organisation doing what we do. We keep thinking it has to change, but it never does. The UK is an almost non-existent market for us.
  • Options

"To many, in any case, their vote is for an individual not a party or a potential prime minister. Incumbency can be a key element thus undermining a bit further the idea that national party totals are important."

I wholly disagree with this "many". I wonder if it is perhaps more true from a LibDem perspective, but it does not sit with my observations of getting on for 40 years door-knocking wearing the blue rosette. My experience is the overwhelming consideration for general election voters is party. Then leaders can be a significant factor (Thatcher - both pro and very anti; Kinnock very anti, Blair very pro, Howard anti, Brown - some pro but mostly strongly anti, and with Miliband being strongly anti unless some remarkable change occurs).

Personal votes for candidates are certainly there, but to balance this, I often find just as many who were really underwhelmed with their sitting MP. "What's (s)he done for me/the constituency? Bugger all...."

Nope I agree with Mike on this. In fact I would say that the number of people for whom the local candidate is more important than the party is growing given the disillusionment with centralised Westminster party politics. It would be great to see this trend increase as it would drag voting back to its legal and constitutional reality.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Good luck to Mark Reckless and the whole UKIP team in Rochester and Strood. Knock 'em dead!

Sadly I can't concur.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

1am or later?

I'm not sure, but I can PM you the details of where the winnings should be deposited. ;)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Roger said:

What Tories can't get is that the reason these people are 'New Labour Luvvies' is because they believe in the wealthy paying more tax and they include themselves.

Yet a lot of these people seem in the least bit reticent about adjusting their tax affairs to minimise what they pay?

"Get the rich to pay more" seems to mean "Get people that are richer than me to pay more".

The London Tax is already causing real disquiet among London Labour MPs.

It seems that they feel London is a more important cause than the NHS,
  • Options
    How many Rochester ladies has TSE knocked up by now?

The polls have been open for over an hour now, so he should be in to the high teens by now at least!!!

GOTV
  • Options
    RobD said:

1am or later?

I'm not sure, but I can PM you the details of where the winnings should be deposited. ;)
    Good man - we'll cross that bridge and all that!
  • Options

Socrates said:

Over-reaction to the loss of Empire? Awe at Germany's post-war economic recovery? Desire to be a big fish in the European pond, rather than a minnow swimming in the wake of the US? Too much Classical education encouraging a fondness for the grandeur that was Rome?

I have long held with the view that the desire on the part of many Tory wets in the second half of the 20th century for the UK to be at the heart of the Europe project was a combination of despair over the loss of Empire and with an arrogance that believed that the EEC/EU would naturally succumb to the superior organisational and governmental abilities of the British.

All these old high Tories regarded ruling Europe as a natural replacement to ruling the Empire. Dangerous, arrogant and, of course, wrong.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,030
    edited November 2014

Nope I agree with Mike on this. In fact I would say that the number of people for whom the local candidate is more important than the party is growing given the disillusionment with centralised Westminster party politics. It would be great to see this trend increase as it would drag voting back to its legal and constitutional reality.
    It wasn’t THAT long ago that there were no party labels on the ballot paper. Came in the 70’s I think (could be wrong). Before that it was important to ensure that one’s candidates name was in front of the electorate morning, noon and night.
    There was ..... may still be .... also an issue around order of candidates names. There’s some evidence, although I can’t recall where, that Mr or Ms Brown is statistically more likely to be elected than Mr or Ms Wheeler. (and not just in Cowdenbeath!) Are candidates now listed on the ballot paper in random order?
  • Options

All these old high Tories regarded ruling Europe as a natural replacement to ruling the Empire. Dangerous, arrogant and, of course, wrong.

You would have thought that De Gaulle might have been a little hint as to the way the wind was blowing... apparently not.
  • Options
    Where is TSE?

Grant Shapps MP‏@grantshapps·2 hrs2 hours ago
    Joined the 6am campaign team for @KellyTolhurst in #RochesterAndStrood on by-election day #VoteKelly
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2014
    Socrates said:

We've played the game of history pretty well. My guess is the socrates of 2114 will be remarking on how we ended up successfully blackmailing the rest of europe into allowing us a special deal whereby we retained access to the free market while gaining a competitive advantage by threatening to leave.

I mean, just look at the 5 eyes stuff. That's fantastically manipulative of us.

In Europe, but spying on Europe.

It's brilliant.
  • Options

It wasn’t THAT long ago that there were no party labels on the ballot paper. Came in the 70’s I think (could be wrong). Before that it was important to ensure that one’s candidates name was in front of the electorate morning, noon and night.
    There was ..... may still be .... also an issue around order of candidates names. There’s some evidence, although I can’t recall where, that Mr or Ms Brown is statistically more likely to be elected than Mr or Ms Wheeler. (and not just in Cowdenbeath!) Are candidates now listed on the ballot paper in random order?
    It's still alphabetical order.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,960
    How is turnout looking ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,960
    edited November 2014

1am or later?

NPV of £333 at the moment.

You can rescue a hundred quid on Betfair still.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    chestnut said:

Roger said:

What Tories can't get is that the reason these people are 'New Labour Luvvies' is because they believe in the wealthy paying more tax and they include themselves.

Yet a lot of these people seem in the least bit reticent about adjusting their tax affairs to minimise what they pay?

"Get the rich to pay more" seems to mean "Get people that are richer than me to pay more".

The London Tax is already causing real disquiet among London Labour MPs.

It seems that they feel London is a more important cause than the NHS,
    They feel that London is a more important cause than pay rises for NHS staff.

That's where the 'Mansion Tax' will be going.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,960
  • Options

I can heartily agree with those last expressed sentiments. In any party, and here I include UKIP, there are bound to be among elected MP's, MEP's or what ever, people who simply do not perform and are in many respects quite useless. I can only hope that for UKIP these people will be a below average number.
  • Options

On entrepreneurialism - in my little sector literally every single one of our competitors is UK-based. What makes that so extraordinary is that the US is by far our biggest market. Yet there is no US-based organisation doing what we do. We keep thinking it has to change, but it never does. The UK is an almost non-existent market for us.

We are in a similar but different position as we sell technical and scientific common sense solutions at a high price, as we think differently from our larger competitors and have the ability to build solutions from first principles.

Our much larger US competitors either use the tick-box principle which often misses the obvious because it is not one of the boxes to tick, or over-complicates matters with management theory and so confuse themselves. Also they focus on consequences and not cause.

Something wrong with the US psyche or do they think that big is best (if I recall correctly the size of their meals)?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    JackW said:

Would the winner become the Emperor Pengiun?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Pulpstar said:

How is turnout looking ?

Blimey! It's a bit early for that. The real question that can be answered is whats the weather down there?
  • Options
    Morning all,

Do we have final by-election morning poll from Sweet Expectations?
  • Options
    Financier said:

We are in a similar but different position as we sell technical and scientific common sense solutions at a high price, as we think differently from our larger competitors and have the ability to build solutions from first principles.

Our much larger US competitors either use the tick-box principle which often misses the obvious because it is not one of the boxes to tick, or over-complicates matters with management theory and so confuse themselves. Also they focus on consequences and not cause.

Something wrong with the US psyche or do they think that big is best (if I recall correctly the size of their meals)?
    Seeing that they were above us on the entrepreneurialism ranking overall, I doubt it. I think that's just the large company-small company dynamic rather than a US-UK split.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Isam,

"Lord Ashcroft attacks Tories who insult the intelligence of Ukip voters"

To be fair, even Labour have now realised that calling them all racist bigots doesn't induce gratitude The Mrs Duffy response has now been replaced by imitation.
  • Options

During drunken evenings discussing all manner of pointless but enjoyable topics, my brother in law has often suggested that the voting slip should present the candidate, party and top policies all randomised. Before their vote would count the voter would have to link the candidate with the correct party and the correct policy.

Totally unworkable of course and undemocratic so I am not advocating it but does rather highlight the problem with a portion of the electorate.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    The electorate did NOT endorse FPTP in the 2011 referendum. They rejected AV.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Financier said:

Seeing that they were above us on the entrepreneurialism ranking overall, I doubt it. I think that's just the large company-small company dynamic rather than a US-UK split.
    It all depends on how you define entrepreneurialism. For a lot of time the UK had the reputation for being good inventors but poor market developers of that invention whilst the US was the reverse.
  • Options
    Roger said:

What Tories can't get is that the reason these people are 'New Labour Luvvies' is because they believe in the wealthy paying more tax and they include themselves. If they had the mindset of what's mine is mine and the government can keep their hands off it they'd be Tories like Myleene and Griff.

Although it does appear that this group of people found various dubious tax "mitigation" schemes particularly attractive.

It's very simple: they are value maximisers like everyone else. However, given they are paying limited tax, and would continue to pay limited tax with higher rates, they gain more value from the smug sense that they are better than their fellow man because they vote for higher taxes
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Indigo said:

Good old Torygraph.

Big tirade about how UKIP is bad for politics, and somehow they fail to mention anywhere in the article that the author is Deputy Chairman of the Bermondsey & Old Southwark Conservative Association.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11239989/The-rise-of-Ukip-has-been-bad-for-British-politics.html

He also didn't mention a certain subject which only UKIP is brave enough to mention and which I am barred by moderator from mentioning.

Ask Socrates if you can't guess.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Collective loss of nerve initially, followed by an intrinsic preference in the British psyche not to challenge the status quo
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

The electorate did NOT endorse FPTP in the 2011 referendum. They rejected AV.

Good point. But realistically they wouldn't have backed any other system either.

I say that as someone who added (and ticked) an STV box on my AV ballot paper.

Yup, I'm one of those pricks. :)
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and this topic reminds me of the Poll Tax, fine when introduced in Scotland but a major problem when England faced it.

So with FPTP. In 1997 the Scottish Tories got almost 500,000 and not a single seat but people shrugged their shoulders and said "tough"! Now the fact UKIP or LibDems could get lots of votes in England and not many seats and FPTP is suddenly broken.
This discussion has been closed.