Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rochester betting: Although UKIP looks a near certainty the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Rochester betting: Although UKIP looks a near certainty there are still some interesting markets

I like the SPIN spread market. If you think UKIP will secure more than 44.5% of the vote and bet £10 a unit then you win that amount for each percentage point above that level that they achieve. Your risk losing on the same formula for every 1% point they get below 44.5%

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I reckon we're on course for another defector
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

You should defect to the Cheating First Comment Party !

• Options

To quote June Whitfield in Absolutely Fabulous: "just the one?".
  • Options
    You have forgotten to take the spread into account, sell price is 43
  • Options
    antifrank said:

At least one.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

If I were UKIP, I'd be disappointed if a Reckless win did not encourage others. As time ticks on, it would only be natural for MPs to think more and more about their GE chances. The only question is whether that makes them more or less likely to defect (Carswell and Reckless, by contrast, might hope to actively change the political weather).
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

With so many crypto-pigdogs to choose from, I am sure you are right.

I WAS FIRST but it said "Discussion ID required", system clearly fixed in favour of insiders. I have written to my MP about this.

• Options
    @patrick

I didn't say 'similar' the study did and I provided a link.

If you are interested read the study, it is poor practice to copy and paste whole articles.
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited November 2014
    Marlene!

Not Ed's safe word.
  • Options
    Mr. X, I get that sometimes.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

With so many crypto-pigdogs to choose from, I am sure you are right.

I WAS FIRST but it said "Discussion ID required", system clearly fixed in favour of insiders. I have written to my MP about this.

Me too, some ego massaging going on!
  • Options
    Mr. England, we clearly need an independent, judge-led inquiry into this.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    I'm buying UKIP at £2 a point here.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

If I were UKIP, I'd be disappointed if a Reckless win did not encourage others. As time ticks on, it would only be natural for MPs to think more and more about their GE chances. The only question is whether that makes them more or less likely to defect (Carswell and Reckless, by contrast, might hope to actively change the political weather).
    Apparently the defectors, in not so safe/UKIP friendly seats, now know they don't need to trigger a by-election, as not to leave their constituents without an MP.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/17/seats-could-be-left-vacant-if-more-tory-mps-defect-to-ukip-befor/
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    It's fun to see the last gasps of a Tory by-election machine include:
    Vote Tory or your house price will fall.
    Vote Tory or the non-Tory gets in.
    Vote Tory we have a local woman.
    Vote Tory we haven't been to Oxford.
    Vote Tory the PM says so.
    Vote Tory please we beg you!

And now: Vote Tory or once we leave the EU, EU migrants would need a visa or residence permit like all the other immigrants.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Mr. England, we clearly need an independent, judge-led inquiry into this.

Commentgate set to run and run.

• Options
    O/T - Alex Massie has done a Parris/D'Ancona in the house style of the New Statesman:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/neither-the-tories-nor-ukip-deserve-to-win-the-rochester-by-election/
  • Options
    It's not my fault you're not as quick as me.

And I too have had the discussion ID required problem in the past.
  • Options
    Oooh what a zinger from Dave.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ed having another stinker at PMQs

• Options

I bet you say that to all the girls.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    On record, I say that the reaction to Reckless's comments is as usual all froth, because it makes sense to everybody that once you leave the EU, EU immigrants will have to be treated equally as all the other immigrants.

If the Tory party wasn't so desperate no one would have made it an issue in the press, but as usual with last ditch attempts they "attack first think later" as was with house prices and the unspecified instability line from the PM.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

I bet you say that to all the girls.

All the time.

It's not my fault you can't keep up with my pace.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Ouch, that was pretty humiliating. Ed is really struggling to be taken seriously and Ball's face behind him was a picture.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,875

O/T - Alex Massie has done a Parris/D'Ancona in the house style of the New Statesman:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/11/neither-the-tories-nor-ukip-deserve-to-win-the-rochester-by-election/

It's the modern equivalent of the view expressed by the Labour Left in the 1980s that "on no account must you be prepared to compromise with the voters."

• Options
    Anyone care to give a brief summary of PMQs?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

There are ongoing talks with several (according to a prominent Kipper I had dinner with last night. There may or may not be defections, but there is also a view that some of them can serve the UKIP cause better within the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    “Most people I know here have worked hard their lives, played by the rules and paid their fair share, but we sometimes struggle to access the services we need because of uncontrolled immigration. Others don’t feel safe walking down the high street of our town."

BNP ? UKIP ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Patrick said:

Very shouty no score draw
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

There are ongoing talks with several (according to a prominent Kipper I had dinner with last night. There may or may not be defections, but there is also a view that some of them can serve the UKIP cause better within the Conservative Party.
    Well of course - the fifth columnists have done UKIP proud to date.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Ed: Dave you're a posh boy arristo on the side of millionaires.

Dave: Ed you're so crap, you got your bottom spanked by pop a star and the polls say you're crap, more people believe in the Loch Ness monster than believe you are a good leader, the bad news for Labour, Ed Miliband really does exist.
  • Options
    Mr. F, will those MPs have no UKIP opposition at the General Election? That'd be rather a give away, but opposing them could harm their electoral prospects, which wouldn't be a fitting reward.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ouch, that was pretty humiliating. Ed is really struggling to be taken seriously and Ball's face behind him was a picture.

Alternatively, from the Guardian:

"12:16 Snap PMQs verdict: If you swallowed some of the reporting of Miliband’s Myleee Klass moment, I suppose you might be impressed by Cameron’s rubbishing of the Labour leader, but Cameron was particularly weak on policy today and Miliband comfortably won on substance."
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited November 2014
    Bad tactic for Cameron to be seen so obviously coming to the defence of millionaire pop stars.

Disastrous actually.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

Agree - the next election Labour strategy on show - "Bedroom tax vs mansion tax!" and "Save the NHS" (no, not in Wales, don't mention Wales, its got nothing to do with Wales, just STFU about Wales will you?)
  • Options
    Patrick said:

ed pwned and outKlassed by Cam in Flashman bully mode. bedroom, mansion tax.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Patrick said:

Dave: Ed you're so crap, you got your bottom spanked by pop a star and the polls say you're crap, more people believe in the Loch Ness monster than believe you are a good leader, the bad news for Labour, Ed Miliband really does exist.
    Or Ed asks about the Mansion tax the bedroom tax cancer waiting targets been missed for 3 successive quarters

Dave answers with pre-prepared jokes about Ed is Crap and doesnt answer any of the questions.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Bad tactic for Cameron to be seen so obviously coming to the defence of millionaire pop stars.

Disastrous actually.

How do you figure that... the millionaires and more importantly want-to-be-millionaires vote for Dave remember, in a Labour leader it would have been a disaster, in a Tory, less so.
  • Options
    I don't watch pmqs, ever - but it's difficult to take the summaries here that seriously. There is a dreadful amount of bias here normally.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

Agree - the next election Labour strategy on show - "Bedroom tax vs mansion tax!" and "Save the NHS" (no, not in Wales, don't mention Wales, its got nothing to do with Wales, just STFU about Wales will you?)
    Tories still trying to flog that dead horse?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

DavidL said:

"12:16 Snap PMQs verdict: If you swallowed some of the reporting of Miliband’s Myleee Klass moment, I suppose you might be impressed by Cameron’s rubbishing of the Labour leader, but Cameron was particularly weak on policy today and Miliband comfortably won on substance."
    On the bedroom tax (the tories have lost the description fight) he pointed out that the discretionary funds were underspent to date.
    On the NHS he actually did ok pointing out the extra money, nurses, and doctors and what a mess Wales was. Ed pointed to local problems as the opposition always do.
    On the Mansion tax he pointed out that the rich are paying a lot more stamp duty, more tax generally and were paying more for empty properties.

The only point Ed made that had any substance was the claim that victims of domestic violence were somehow being affected by the bedroom tax although it was not immediately clear how.
  • Options
    David Cameron, Nigel Farage and other party leaders will be separately grilled by younger voters in a series of live streamed discussions to be distributed online by ITV News and YouTube channel Bite News.

The prime minister, Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg, Labour’s Ed Miliband, Ukip’s Farage and the Green’s Natalie Bennett will appear on their own and be quizzed in front of studio audiences in the five debates taking place between 26 November and 16 December.

The Leaders Live discussions have been organised by Bite the Ballot, which campaigns for young people to vote, ITV News and Bite News. They will be presented by Rick Edwards, host of BBC3’s current affairs discussion show Free Speech, and streamed live by ITV News, Bite News and on the Leaders Live website.

The audience will include singer Eliza Doolittle, Bite News owner Jamal Edwards and influential YouTubers, including Hannah Witton and Harry Hitchens.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/19/itv-news-party-leaders-live
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, pre-prepared? That warrants a savaging by enormo-haddock.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Sean_F said:

It's the modern equivalent of the view expressed by the Labour Left in the 1980s that "on no account must you be prepared to compromise with the voters."

He should cheer up, despite some murmurings of concern British people are well on track to be a minority in their own country within 40 years.
  • Options
    PMQs Ed is crrap "comfortably won on substance."
  • Options
    BenM said:

Scott_P said:

Patrick said:

Tories still trying to flog that dead horse?
    Can't you read? Just STFU about Wales!

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Patrick said:

Or Ed asks about the Mansion tax the bedroom tax cancer waiting targets been missed for 3 successive quarters

Dave answers with pre-prepared jokes about Ed is Crap and doesnt answer any of the questions.
    The PM also threw in a few of what used to be termed "tractor stats" when his predecessor was in office. Funny how the Tories don't castigate Mr Cameron for using the same approach to non-answering questions.
  • Options
    Douglas Carswell MP retweeted
    Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 11m11 minutes ago
    Is Myleene Klass getting cross really the best Cameron has got?! #pmqs
  • Options

David Cameron, Nigel Farage and other party leaders will be separately grilled by younger voters in a series of live streamed discussions to be distributed online by ITV News and YouTube channel Bite News.

The prime minister, Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg, Labour’s Ed Miliband, Ukip’s Farage and the Green’s Natalie Bennett will appear on their own and be quizzed in front of studio audiences in the five debates taking place between 26 November and 16 December.

The Leaders Live discussions have been organised by Bite the Ballot, which campaigns for young people to vote, ITV News and Bite News. They will be presented by Rick Edwards, host of BBC3’s current affairs discussion show Free Speech, and streamed live by ITV News, Bite News and on the Leaders Live website.

The audience will include singer Eliza Doolittle, Bite News owner Jamal Edwards and influential YouTubers, including Hannah Witton and Harry Hitchens.

Fair play to Farage for heading to what one would assume is naturally hostile territory.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @alstewitn: #PMQs Where does 'One Direction' stand on the mansion tax? Just asking...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    An interesting comment that will no doubt leave some here frothing at its outrageous nature and implicit racism,

"“Most people I know here have worked hard their lives, played by the rules and paid their fair share, but we sometimes struggle to access the services we need because of uncontrolled immigration. Others don’t feel safe walking down the high street of our town."

Got your outrage going, Mr. Eagles? The quote is, I am told, from the Conservative candidate in the Rochester and Strood by-election. Miss Tolhurst is also it would appear deeply concerned about the effects uncontrolled immigration has had on the Constituency,

“I wanted to bring the prime minister to this constituency to show him that uncontrolled immigration has hurt this area. I told him we need action, not just talk.”

I don't know about you but that such sentiments are being expressed by the Conservative Party candidate does make me wonder.

• Options
    PBTories out of touch again

@IsabelHardman · 10m 10 minutes ago

Is Myleene Klass getting cross really the best Cameron has got?! #pmqs
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fair play to Farage for heading to what one would assume is naturally hostile territory.
    I wonder whether one of the side-effects of the rise of UKIP might be that younger voters might be more likely to vote than in previous elections, given the antipathy among many of them to UKIP.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@alstewitn: #PMQs Where does 'One Direction' stand on the mansion tax? Just asking...

You'll have to ask their tax advisers.
  • Options

PMQs Ed is crrap "comfortably won on substance."

There wasn't much substance on either side - Miliband had a point about domestic violence & the bedroom tax - but didn't mention the council involved, presumably because its Labour and hasn't used the discretionary funds it has. Cameron had tractor stats on Doctors & Nurses.....score draw.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I feel myself separating more and more from people who I'd always assumed to be my political allies and comrades my whole life.

I find it actually makes me quite sad.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

antifrank said:

DavidL said:

The only point Ed made that had any substance was the claim that victims of domestic violence were somehow being affected by the bedroom tax although it was not immediately clear how.
    According to the BBC – some people with abusive and violent partners use the spare bedroom as a ‘panic room’ to hide in allegedly. – I think there are lawyers writing up papers on the case as we speak.
  • Options

DavidL said:

antifrank said:

DavidL said:

According to the BBC – some people with abusive and violent partners use the spare bedroom as a ‘panic room’ to hide in allegedly. – I think there are lawyers writing up papers on the case as we speak.
    Those cases give rise to two obvious questions:

1) why is the abusive partner not behind bars?
    2) why is the abused partner not moved to a new area to protect her safety?

And for that matter, how do you construct a panic room in the average council property?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

I wonder whether one of the side-effects of the rise of UKIP might be that younger voters might be more likely to vote than in previous elections, given the antipathy among many of them to UKIP.
    If my Facebook is anything to go by, yes.

But they will of course not bother to register and find out that you can't phone a five digit number to vote Farage out the Big Brother house.
  • Options

Very good piece, and a sad indictment on how the intolerant can set the political agenda with impunity. Sadly LibLabCon will have learnt the lesson of Ted Heath. He fired Enoch of course - in accordance with his principles of tolerance and egalitarianism - but unleashed a maelstrom, got roundly shafted and received little but vilification for his pains.
  • Options
    Cameron started out as the heir to Blair, but has since suffered multiple relegations and would be lucky to meet the former PM in the early rounds of the league cup.

A poor, poor Prime Minister. Getting embarrassing.
  • Options
    So Ed asked why is bedroom tax fair doesnt get an answer

Ed asked why is Mansion tax unfair when bedroom tax isnt doesnt get an answer

Ed asks why has the cancer target been missed for 3 quarters running doesnt get an answer

Ed asks why is panic room classed as a spare bedroom doesnt get an answer
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, that does seem like a legitimate exception to the rule.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

Disastrous actually.

How do you figure that... the millionaires and more importantly want-to-be-millionaires vote for Dave remember, in a Labour leader it would have been a disaster, in a Tory, less so.
    And Dave has ramped up stamp duty. An extra £4.2 million in tax of Ed's Hyde Park Penthouse compared to Labour's rates.

Labour holed below the line.

Same with the Empty Room Handout (private sector anomaly), same with NHS (Wales)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

I reckon defections will happen. But after 8th May.
  • Options

An interesting comment that will no doubt leave some here frothing at its outrageous nature and implicit racism,

"“Most people I know here have worked hard their lives, played by the rules and paid their fair share, but we sometimes struggle to access the services we need because of uncontrolled immigration. Others don’t feel safe walking down the high street of our town."

Got your outrage going, Mr. Eagles? The quote is, I am told, from the Conservative candidate in the Rochester and Strood by-election. Miss Tolhurst is also it would appear deeply concerned about the effects uncontrolled immigration has had on the Constituency,

“I wanted to bring the prime minister to this constituency to show him that uncontrolled immigration has hurt this area. I told him we need action, not just talk.”

I don't know about you but that such sentiments are being expressed by the Conservative Party candidate does make me wonder.

I find nothing to get outraged about.

Have the Tory party had to issue a clarification to say she wasn't in favour of repatriation like UKIP had to do with the pig dog traitor?
  • Options

DavidL said:

antifrank said:

DavidL said:

I think there is a court case about that at the moment. It sounds a bit far fetched to me. My understanding of a "panic room" is largely based on Hollywood but is it not supposed to be (a) a secret room that (b) the intruder does not know about and (c) is fortified in some way?

Does this sound like your average council house bedroom to you?
  • Options

An area that can be dealt with by local use of the discretionary funding, which local councils are not spending.

Be interesting to see which party is running the council in question.
  • Options
    tom bradby ‏@tombradby 21m21 minutes ago
    PMQs has become completely, utterly pointless. But for what it's worth, I think DC needs to watch the rudeness
  • Options

Cameron did:

i) Why is it OK for Private Sector tenants, but not for public sector tenants?
    ii) How fund money for the NHS if costs of the benefits bill keep rising?

• Options

Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

I reckon defections will happen. But after 8th May.
    I expect a minimum of two defections before the next election. One to fill UKIP's vacant candidate slot in Portsmouth South and one to fill the vacant slot in South Basildon & East Thurrock.
  • Options
    Background on the panic room/spare room subsidy:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/18/panic-room-woman-challenges-bedroom-tax

“This is exactly why we have made £345m available to councils to help vulnerable people. We understand the council have awarded a payment to make up a shortfall in rent.”
  • Options
    Cameron backs the #bedroomtax but not the #mansiontax. If you’ve got big money you’ve a friend in this PM; if not, he couldn’t care less.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

antifrank said:

DavidL said:

I think there is a court case about that at the moment. It sounds a bit far fetched to me. My understanding of a "panic room" is largely based on Hollywood but is it not supposed to be (a) a secret room that (b) the intruder does not know about and (c) is fortified in some way?

My thoughts exactly on hearing the report - all rather bizarre and a little overly contrived.

• Options

Ed asks why has the cancer target been missed for 3 quarters running doesnt get an answer

And he wasn't expecting an answer to any of those questions, he was playing to the gallery pure and simple.
  • Options

Cameron backs the #bedroomtax but not the #mansiontax. If you’ve got big money you’ve a friend in this PM; if not, he couldn’t care less.

You are Ed Miliband? I claim my bacon sandwich.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

antifrank said:

DavidL said:

It could also mean somewhere else to sleep when the husband comes home after a few beers and a curry and is feeling both excessively frisky and excessively flatulent, but that doesn't sounds quite so good.

The implication of the Guardian story is that over 4000 such reinforced panic rooms have been fitted across the country, seems a little high since no one have ever heard of such before here.
  • Options

Good attack line - bereft of substance (how many low paid have the govt taken out of income tax, how much more income tax are the rich paying?) - but good politics.....

• Options

That was a strong finish. I will give him that. But Ed is looking very weak and I thought somewhat lacking in confidence today. It is getting to him.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I feel myself separating more and more from people who I'd always assumed to be my political allies and comrades my whole life.

It's a pity isn't it? Leaving the Conservative Party was a wrench. There are still plenty of people I like and trust in the Conservative Party, but they aren't at the top.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

You need to calm down dear - I know it's hard to hear your leader being out-klassed again in the H/C - I suggest you wrap yourself up in a copy of the Guardian, there's normally quite a lot of unsold copies going cheap.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Let's face it. most people are in the middle...neither affected by the bedroom tax nor the mansion tax.
  • Options

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/18/panic-room-woman-challenges-bedroom-tax

“This is exactly why we have made £345m available to councils to help vulnerable people. We understand the council have awarded a payment to make up a shortfall in rent.”

And that DWP quotation appears to have been appended a day after the article first appeared:

'This article was amended on Wednesday 19 November to add a quote from a DWP spokesman.'

Non story?
  • Options

Cameron did:

i) Why is it OK for Private Sector tenants, but not for public sector tenants?
    ii) How fund money for the NHS if costs of the benefits bill keep rising?

I thought it was PMQs not LotO Qs?
  • Options

You are Ed Miliband? I claim my bacon sandwich.
    I am having a bacon sandwich at Dirty Dicks on Friday.

Wonder if Cameron will be too busy to crack Ed is Crap jokes by the time we meet?
  • Options

If you're desperate and living in overcrowded accomodation, David Cameron in on your side. Ed Miliband is on the side of those with spare bedrooms which they don't need, and which are provided at taxpayers' expense.

How Labour supporters claim the moral high ground and somehow manage to keep a straight face is a never-ending mystery to me.
  • Options
    BenSBenS Posts: 22
    Re. the bedroom tax case:

It's a 'spare' room that has been reinforced and adapted by the police to be secure. This isn't just someone saying they are a bit scared - this is a woman who was raped and beaten by her ex-partner who the police judge to be at substantial risk.

The Judicial Review case is being defended by the DWP, not the local council (as a matter of central policy all cases regarding the bedroom tax have to be discussed with the DWP by the LA, even if the LA don't want to fight the case any further - as in this this case the DWP then takes them on regardless of what the LA thinks.)

A Discretionary Housing Payment has been awarded to cover the current shortfall, but these are limited to one year, so the JR is regarding whether DV victims should be exempt in the first place.

@CarlottaVance - the key difference is that when Labour introduced the LHA system it only applied to new tenancies, not existing ones, whereas the Bedroom Tax has a retrospective effect of making long-standing tenancies in the social rented sector suddenly unaffordable.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That was a strong finish. I will give him that. But Ed is looking very weak and I thought somewhat lacking in confidence today. It is getting to him.
    Robinson said on the DP that the political cabinet decided yesterday that the game now is to go after Miliband relentlessly - he's 'dead, but not quite buried'......

If only he went after him on policy......

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

And that DWP quotation appears to have been appended a day after the article first appeared:

'This article was amended on Wednesday 19 November to add a quote from a DWP spokesman.'

Non story?
    Are certain Labour councils taking a very hard line on not using this 345m in order to make political capital out of the bedroom "tax"? That would be the real evil of this situation...
  • Options

If you're desperate and living in overcrowded accomodation, David Cameron in on your side. Ed Miliband is on the side of those with spare bedrooms which they don't need, and which are provided at taxpayers' expense.

Less than 5% of households affected by the Bedroom Tax have been able to downsize, whereas 59% of households affected are now in rent arrears (as at December 2013).

Pretending that this was ever about freeing up accommodation for other households is myopic at best.

• Options
    BenS said:

It's a 'spare' room that has been reinforced and adapted by the police to be secure. This isn't just someone saying they are a bit scared - this is a woman who was raped and beaten by her ex-partner who the police judge to be at substantial risk.

But why is she still living in the same house as someone that has raped and beaten her, and hence apparently often in terror, and why isn't he either in jail or at another location under some sort of restraining order ?
  • Options
    @DMcCaffreySKY

Labour sources argue they only win places in like Rochester and Strood in landslides. Not when they just need a majority like 2005 and 2015.
  • Options
    felix said:

You need to calm down dear - I know it's hard to hear your leader being out-klassed again in the H/C - I suggest you wrap yourself up in a copy of the Guardian, there's normally quite a lot of unsold copies going cheap.
    Cameron is crap at answering questions though isnt he?

If you really think he won PMQs you are mad.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenS said:

But why is she still living in the same house as someone that has raped and beaten her, and hence apparently often in terror, and why isn't he either in jail or at another location under some sort of restraining order ?
    She doesn't live in the same house. However there is still a risk that he can find her and her child. I trust the police's judgement on this, and would suggest you do too.

(And in light of your grim comment down thread about hiding from a frisky husband, you'll forgive me if I don't give your opinion on this much weight.)

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Why the "bedroom tax" fair? Because there is a limited amount of public resources available and they must be used in the best way possible. Someone may like a spare room, but if they don't *need* it they can't expect it on the taxpayer's dime.

Why isn't the mansion tax fair? It's not a question of fairness or not. It's just a badly constructed tax.

Cancer targets - who know, but targets are not necessarily the best way to manage the NHS

Panic room - need more details. But seems dubious that they need a spare room to hide in: why not the kitchen or bathroom or bedroom if you need a room with a lockable door.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,965
    edited November 2014
    Turnout betting

Ladbrokes have moved their under/over prices back to 5/6 the pair

I think this (the unders) is a ridiculously good bet, not as good as SkyBet's under 50.5% but getting a bet with them is fantasyland.

I don't see why turnout should be higher than Clacton, and the primary returns, combined with he opinion polls make it almost impossible if my sums are anywhere near right
  • Options

@DMcCaffreySKY

Labour sources argue they only win places in like Rochester and Strood in landslides. Not when they just need a majority like 2005 and 2015.

@DMcCaffreySKY

Rochester & Strood (in its various incarnations) has been a classic swing seat since 1945.

Winning c.16% in such a seat can't be spun as being of no account.
  • Options
    Test
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited November 2014
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

It's a pity isn't it? Leaving the Conservative Party was a wrench. There are still plenty of people I like and trust in the Conservative Party, but they aren't at the top.
    And the reason I am still in the Conservative Party is that there are plenty of people I don't like and don't trust in UKIP. That a good proportion of them left the Conservatives makes it it a happier home. No doubt there will be some real losses - and I count you amongst that number - but to be frank, many who have gone to UKIP were those who made me cringe inwardly with their Jurassic period attitudes....

• Options
    State funded Panic rooms for all, along with their free owl. Eh?

Why should the state be paying for these? What a bizarre line of questioning. Domestic violence is no laughing matter, but this crazy and tendentious line invites ridicule.

The premise of it sounds to me as if there is a very credulous example taken of one story in one house that has been lapped up by an MP's researcher and turned into this.

This discussion has been closed.