Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now the focus is on post-Rochester. Will there be more defe

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited November 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now the focus is on post-Rochester. Will there be more defectors and if so how many?

William Hill betting http://t.co/DaoaqKVi3S: 2+ MPs to defect to UKIP between Rochester and GE15. Odds move from 6/4 to evens.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    None
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Oh and first.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    edited November 2014
    FPT (and vaguely applicable to this one):

foxinsoxuk said:The issue of British citizens who become pro-Jihadi is an interesting one. Anjem Choudhury is careful to not break the law.

What British way of dealing with him is there?Or would it be un-British to deal with him?

I said:

The British way is to be tolerant. And to be intolerant of those who are not. Which makes it tricky quite a lot of the time. But that's the way we like

Hope this was worth the effort.
  • Options
    What's a collection of traitorous pigdogs called?

A turncoat of ..., a headbang of ...a missing redbox of ...
  • Options
    Hopefully someone from Miliband's moribund Labour will show some life and defect.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Evening all :)

The Rochester result will be crucial, not because of the outcome but because of the degree of the UKIP win/Conservative loss.

If Reckless wins 40-35 for example, the signal won't be too bad for Cameron. It will suggest a reasonable prospect of re-capturing the seat in May and will put off other prospective defectors.

If Reckless wins 45-30, the mood music is different. It's a heavy but not impossible defeat for the Conservatives - it won't calm nerves but it will show that there is hope.

If Reckless wins 50-25, I think Cameron could be in trouble - it will look as though defectors can leave and hold their seats and the pressure from other backbenchers seeing their seats at risk will be considerable.

The remaining Rochester vote splits perhaps 15% for Labour and 10% for everyone else with the Greens saving their deposit and the Lds losing theirs.
  • Options

The Lib Dems
  • Options

A Sol of traitorous pigdogs.
  • Options
    On topic, when's Mike's next holiday and that's when treason season begins.
  • Options
    FPT for those wot missed it:

This week's Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week) for week-ending 16th November 2014. 11 polls with a total weighted sample of 12,889:

Lab 33.5% (nc)
    Con 32.1% (+0.5)
    UKIP 15.5% (-0.8)
    LD 7.8% (nc)

Lab lead 1.4% (-0.4)

Changes on the very first ELBOW from 17th August:

Lab -2.7%
    Con -1.1%
    UKIP +2.4%
    LD -1.0%

Lab lead -1.6% (ie. was 3.0%, now 1.4%)

UKIP lose ground for the second week in a row, though the weekend's YouGov and ComRes restricted their loss this week to less than 1%. Tories claw back some ground against Lab as a result. Labour score doesn't seem to have been affected by media campaign against Ed.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    We're surely coming up to the time where it'll be too late for the defected MP to trigger a by election, if it isn't already. Conservative MPs in only moderately UKIP friendly seats would be taking a big risk simply switching their allegiance to UKIP without a by election victory to back them up.
  • Options
    In graphical form :)

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 10m10 minutes ago
    This week's Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week): Lab 33.5%, Con 32.1%, UKIP 15.5%, LD 7.8%

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/534013821304967168
  • Options

A Maastricht of traitorous pig-dogs?
    A Lisbon?

:)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited November 2014
    "treason season"

Arf. - I expect to see that in the media next week, or is it already borrowed from somewhere?
  • Options

How about a Farago of traitors ?

• Options

A carwreck of ......

• Options
    stodge said:

The Rochester result will be crucial, not because of the outcome but because of the degree of the UKIP win/Conservative loss.

If Reckless wins 40-35 for example, the signal won't be too bad for Cameron. It will suggest a reasonable prospect of re-capturing the seat in May and will put off other prospective defectors.

If Reckless wins 45-30, the mood music is different. It's a heavy but not impossible defeat for the Conservatives - it won't calm nerves but it will show that there is hope.

If Reckless wins 50-25, I think Cameron could be in trouble - it will look as though defectors can leave and hold their seats and the pressure from other backbenchers seeing their seats at risk will be considerable.

The remaining Rochester vote splits perhaps 15% for Labour and 10% for everyone else with the Greens saving their deposit and the Lds losing theirs.

Evening, young Stodge.

There's been a shift recently in the UKIP Percentage Market for Rochester.

The 40%/45% band had been favorite more or less from the outset but has now been eclipsed marginally by the 45%/50% band. Since we've had no polls published I guess this is due to private polling or simply a feel for how the ground war is going. If it is the higher band, it will be hard for the Tories to put a decent spin on it, although I can't see Dave calling it a day. Like his Labour counterpart he is saved by lack of plausible opposition, if nothing else.

Enjoyed my visit to Cheltenham. Kings Palace looks the business.
  • Options

stodge said:

Evening, young Stodge.

The 40%/45% band had been favorite more or less from the outset but has now been eclipsed marginally by the 45%/50% band. Since we've had no polls published I guess this is due to private polling or simply a feel for how the ground war is going. If it is the higher band, it will be hard for the Tories to put a decent spin on it, although I can't see Dave calling it a day. Like his Labour counterpart he is saved by lack of plausible opposition, if nothing else.

Will we be seeing you at Dirty Dicks on Friday?
  • Options

"treason season"

Arf. - I expect to see that in the media next week, or is it already borrowed from somewhere?

It is from an old episode of the Simpsons.

When they think Homer has defected to the USSR.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

foxinsoxuk said:The issue of British citizens who become pro-Jihadi is an interesting one. Anjem Choudhury is careful to not break the law.

What British way of dealing with him is there?Or would it be un-British to deal with him?

I said:

The British way is to be tolerant. And to be intolerant of those who are not. Which makes it tricky quite a lot of the time. But that's the way we like

It is the paradox of liberal societies, that they permit some very illiberal views (and a liberal immigration policy allows in some very illiberal people).

It was just such a feeling that made liberal democracy seem so supine in the face of competing totalitarianisms in the twenties and thirties. Though liberal democracy triumphed in the end of course, in large part because of its economic strength.

Totalitarian Islam is strongly associated with economic failure in nations (apart from a few petro-states), and even within nations. Ultimately the war on Terror will be won, once the poverty of its offering is recognised by its adherents.

• Options

stodge said:

Evening, young Stodge.

Will we be seeing you at Dirty Dicks on Friday?
    Got my new frock ready for the occasion, Stodgy. :-)
  • Options

stodge said:

Evening, young Stodge.

So does What A Good Night and Katkeau
  • Options

stodge said:

Evening, young Stodge.

So does What A Good Night and Katkeau

Noted with thanks. I missed the Wetherby race.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    Of course some Con MPs may wish to defect to UKIP out of political principle.

But if a Con MP is only interested in retaining their seat then surely it can almost never make sense to defect.

It would only make sense if UKIP was favourite to win their seat - and that can only be the case in a tiny number of seats.
  • Options

Evening, young Stodge.

The problem for Cameron only comes IF backbenchers in say the most 75 marginal seats conclude they cannot win with him but might with a May or Hammond in charge. In 1990, it was the polling that showed a 10% Labour lead with Thatcher evaporate with Heseltine or Major in charge. I've not seen any polling showing a marked positive differential in Conservative fortunes with another leader. If such polling emerges, that would be the game changer.

For now, I agree barring a third at R&S next week which looks hugely unlikely, I suspect the Prime Minister will ride out the storm and hope some positive coverage from the Autumn Statement will re-invigorate the Party's fortunes. It's all very well for the Tory activists on here to whitter on about how badly all the other parties are doing but the Conservatives are becalmed at or fractionally above 30%.

Hoping to be at Lingfield on the 25th and for the mid-December Saturday weather permitting. I've got the hump with Sandown over admission prices. The return of Great Leighs (aka Chelmsford City) next year will provide a closer track (about an hour in the car) so will give that a go.

As for KING'S PALACE, I think both he and SAUSALITO SUNRISE will be Gold Cup contenders in the future - perhaps they'll fight out the 2016 renewal.

• Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    The NHS, education, fracking, housing and privatisation. That’s just a some of the topics 38 Degrees members covered at a meet-up in Rochester last night.

They were coming together to plan how they wanted to get involved in the upcoming Rochester and Strood by-election. Ten 38 Degrees members chatted about the issues that affect the Medway area and why they’re not being talked about by the election candidates.

From 38 Degrees.

If that's so maybe the Green candidate will do better than expected, and UKIP worse than expected at Rochester. Fracking is the big never mentioned issue of the coming elections, which has the power to switch votes away from traditional loyalties, but UKIP are lining up behind the LibLabCon, and will miss out.
  • Options
    @Stodge

Would like to do Lingfield but suspect other duties will prevent it. I'll take a raincheck on it nearer the time.

Didn't know about Sandown. Shame. Such a great track. Have high hopes of Chelmsford - about 30 mins for me.

Sausalito ran a stormer too, franking the winner's form.

Far too close to an election to change Leaders. Looks like we are really going to see the resistable force versus the eminently removable object. What a contest!
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    stodge said:

Evening, young Stodge.

The problem for Cameron only comes IF backbenchers in say the most 75 marginal seats conclude they cannot win with him but might with a May or Hammond in charge. In 1990, it was the polling that showed a 10% Labour lead with Thatcher evaporate with Heseltine or Major in charge. I've not seen any polling showing a marked positive differential in Conservative fortunes with another leader. If such polling emerges, that would be the game changer.

For now, I agree barring a third at R&S next week which looks hugely unlikely, I suspect the Prime Minister will ride out the storm and hope some positive coverage from the Autumn Statement will re-invigorate the Party's fortunes. It's all very well for the Tory activists on here to whitter on about how badly all the other parties are doing but the Conservatives are becalmed at or fractionally above 30%.

Hoping to be at Lingfield on the 25th and for the mid-December Saturday weather permitting. I've got the hump with Sandown over admission prices. The return of Great Leighs (aka Chelmsford City) next year will provide a closer track (about an hour in the car) so will give that a go.

As for KING'S PALACE, I think both he and SAUSALITO SUNRISE will be Gold Cup contenders in the future - perhaps they'll fight out the 2016 renewal.

For all I dislike Cameron I have to say I dislike May even more. If she took charge there is not a snowballs chance in hell of me voting conservative in 2015. She is far too authoritarian and the state knows best for my taste. Cameron is the same but not quite to such an extent

• Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    The reason eurosceptic Tory MPs will jump to UKIP prior to the election is because if they jump now, they can be assured of being selected as candidates by UKIP. If they leave it, their Parliamentary careers will probably be over. It must be a case of a big UKIP win at Rochester, and a number of others will want to get into UKIP colours as soon as possible. How about six?
  • Options
    On topic I think it is true that UKIP's work in eliminating the fruitcake wing of the Tory party is not yet done. Whether this will result in sundry MPs jumping ship is harder to judge. These fruitcakes have a strong sense of self preservation.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    On topic.

Hopefully. I would like to see the Tories crumble like a pastry on a sausage roll.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

On topic I think it is true that UKIP's work in eliminating the fruitcake wing of the Tory party is not yet done. Whether this will result in sundry MPs jumping ship is harder to judge. These fruitcakes have a strong sense of self preservation.

The PB Tory racism against fruitcakes is worse than we imagined!
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2014
    Tapestry said:

It must be a case of a big UKIP win at Rochester, and a number of others will want to get into UKIP colours as soon as possible. How about six?

That's a good point that I hadn't really considered. I'm not sure what would be a successful damage limitation job by the Conservatives? A single digit UKIP victory would perhaps make other treasonists think twice?

Edit. Just read Stodge's post at the foot of the comments. Am inclined to agree.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I said:

It is the paradox of liberal societies, that they permit some very illiberal views (and a liberal immigration policy allows in some very illiberal people).

And the even greater paradox that in order to protect freedom you must restrict it.
  • Options
    The point is that whereas Labour COULD change their leader and see an improvement in their fortunes, there's no evidence the same is true for the Conservatives at this time. Of course, we know that with Boris as Leader, that change would exist but he's not in the running at this time.

All of this suggests that, as in 1997 with Major, the Conservatives are tied to their leader and will succeed or fail with him.
  • Options
    Artist said:

We're surely coming up to the time where it'll be too late for the defected MP to trigger a by election, if it isn't already.

Yes, because of Christmas it's probably too late now for any further treasonists.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

DavidL said:

I said:

It was just such a feeling that made liberal democracy seem so supine in the face of competing totalitarianisms in the twenties and thirties. Though liberal democracy triumphed in the end of course, in large part because of its economic strength.

Totalitarian Islam is strongly associated with economic failure in nations (apart from a few petro-states), and even within nations. Ultimately the war on Terror will be won, once the poverty of its offering is recognised by its adherents.

Liberal democracy perservered after the 1930s at first through military strength and political will, of course. And, added to that, a refusal by governments of liberal nation to maintain the authoritarianism that was needed for total war. The European leaders of the 1940s, like Abraham Lincoln in the 1860s, knew how dangerous government powers were in the long-term, and were very conscious to make sure they were not put on a permanent footing. Sadly, our current leaders are not so wise.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    is it me or is sky news politically biased towards labour with articles like this one http://news.sky.com/story/1372753/five-things-labour-must-do-to-win-the-election

i could not see them doing an article "five things the conservatives must do to win the election"
  • Options

DavidL said:

I said:

Yep. Churchill spot on as usual (as long as you did not ask him to actually run things).

Democracy is the worst system of government apart from all the others. It looks weak but that weakness and ability to assimilate (borg like) is its greatest strength. We have weakened our democracy by accepting those who don't want to assimilate but ultimately they or their children or their childrens' children will. They will change us but they will inevitably be changed by more.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    DavidL said:

How much does it trouble you that the fruitcake MPs take the fruitcake vote with them when they leave? There may be a childish satisfaction in saying "good riddance", but it ain't no way to win an election.

• Options
    DavidL said:

It will be a test that strong sense of self preservation if someone tries to drum up the 46 names for a leadership election. To do that without a candidate is very foolish, to do it with a candidate who cannot win a vote would be self defeating for the fruitcake wing. They should only challenge if they have a candidate and enough support to win the contest. They do not, so they will not.

Even traitorous pig-dogs are more sensible than the Gadarene swine!

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    FPT. Ishmael

"Balls, the British have over the centuries been world-leaders in all forms of brutal intolerance. Tolerance is a very very very good thing but to claim it as particularly British when we only passed the RRA in 1977 and the Sexual Offences Act in 1967 is just jingoistic nonsense."

On the nail Ishmael. It's odd how the British have these ideas of their moral superiority particularly of their tolerance and reasonableness. It's delusional and quite dangerous

I was listening to Greg Dyke of the FA saying that the judge in FIFA's tribuneral was completely wrong in his criticism of them and it was simply to deflect attention from FIFA's own wrongdoing.

When he was then asked about the £15,000 watch that he was given he waved the question away with the answer that he'd never even worn it he'd just put it in a drawer.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I said:

Hmm. Andy seems to get lifted then released.
    But then follows a slew of anti terror operations and arrests.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    @foxinsox, @socrates

"Giving money and power to the government is like giving whisky and car keys to teenagers."

and

"If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friends, I hope I would have the courage to betray my country."

• Options

DavidL said:

But Sunil, I am from Dundee and you don't get a better fruitcake than Dundee cake. You've got me all wrong!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Who ever the defectors are (if they exist), it wont be him:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-30074116

"The Sunday Times has said Montgomeryshire's Glyn Davies, 70, was just seven miles (11 km) from Rochester when he played on a nearby course.

But he told BBC Wales he cannot canvass because he has a bad back and cannot walk far."

Unless the recent polling, that UKIP is doing almost as well in wales as in england, is true.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Socrates said:

MikeK said:

Speedy said:

Mr. K, what's that based on?

John Major said today on TV that UKIP were un-british.

Not only that, David Cameron said the same thing on the eve of his departure to the G20.
    It's quite a line from the man that's handing over the ancient British right of habeas corpus to the mercy of foreign nations, and hangs on the German Chancellor's words to see whether Britain can control its borders.
    Is it this bit by JM that is being discussed:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/16/john-major-attacks-ukip-calls-britain-remain-eu

It seems that JM said that UKIPs attitudes were un-British. Of course both Kipper and Anjem Choudhary are British in law.

As a matter of interest, how do kippers propose to deal with Anjem Choudhury and his supporters?
    I have no idea what UKIP party policy is, but I think the best approach to vile people that are not breaking the law is vigorous and sustained argument about why they are wrong and how liberal constitutional democracies are far superior politically, economically, and morally. We should also have a much greater emphasis on the great genius of classical British liberalism in our education system, and more greater requirement to learn about it from those coming here.

Oh, and stop letting intolerant people through our political system. If you believe you shouldn't be friends with people of other religions, or that people shouldn't be allowed to leave your religion, or that your daughter should be banned from marrying outside your religion, then you shouldn't be allowed in.
  • Options
    The Tories are still waiting for David Laws and Jeremy Browne to defect to them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But Sunil, I am from Dundee and you don't get a better fruitcake than Dundee cake. You've got me all wrong!
    I think the Tories would be annoyed if UKIP take this fruitcake from them.
    https://www.collinstreet.com/pages/online_bakery_gift/deluxe_fruitcake
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

How much does it trouble you that the fruitcake MPs take the fruitcake vote with them when they leave? There may be a childish satisfaction in saying "good riddance", but it ain't no way to win an election.

Its a tricky one and I don't dispute it. UK politics encourages a broad church and excommunication is a risk. But I think (and it may be wishful thinking) that a tory party without such a fringe can gain more than equivalent support from the lib dems and the centre ground. This theory may self destruct in under 6 months.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I said:

And the even greater paradox that in order to protect freedom you must restrict it.
    Except that one is not true.
  • Options

The Tories are still waiting for David Laws and Jeremy Browne to defect to them.

What happened to David Laws?
    Has he gone lost somewhere in Whitehall for the past 3 years?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think the Tories would be annoyed if UKIP take this fruitcake from them.
    https://www.collinstreet.com/pages/online_bakery_gift/deluxe_fruitcake
    Looks pretty irresistible to me. Yum!
  • Options
    Roger said:

FPT. Ishmael

"Balls, the British have over the centuries been world-leaders in all forms of brutal intolerance. Tolerance is a very very very good thing but to claim it as particularly British when we only passed the RRA in 1977 and the Sexual Offences Act in 1967 is just jingoistic nonsense."

On the nail Ishmael. It's odd how the British have these ideas of their moral superiority particularly of their tolerance and reasonableness. It's delusional and quite dangerous

I was listening to Greg Dyke of the FA saying that the judge in FIFA's tribuneral was completely wrong in his criticism of them and it was simply to deflect attention from FIFA's own wrongdoing.

When he was then asked about the £15,000 watch that he was given he waved the question away with the answer that he'd never even worn it he'd just put it in a drawer.

Hypocracy, and a pompous self regard are along with tolerance, strong British traits!

I think that most of the world has become more tolerant over time, so it is incorrect to look just at the past without comparing to other nations in the past. At almost every point in history Britain was more tolerant than its European peers, let alone the wider world, indeed it is one of the reasons so many want to come here!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

MikeK said:

Speedy said:

John Major said today on TV that UKIP were un-british.

Not only that, David Cameron said the same thing on the eve of his departure to the G20.
    It's quite a line from the man that's handing over the ancient British right of habeas corpus to the mercy of foreign nations, and hangs on the German Chancellor's words to see whether Britain can control its borders.
    Is it this bit by JM that is being discussed:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/16/john-major-attacks-ukip-calls-britain-remain-eu

It seems that JM said that UKIPs attitudes were un-British. Of course both Kipper and Anjem Choudhary are British in law.

As a matter of interest, how do kippers propose to deal with Anjem Choudhury and his supporters?
    I have no idea what UKIP party policy is, but I think the best approach to vile people that are not breaking the law is vigorous and sustained argument about why they are wrong and how liberal constitutional democracies are far superior politically, economically, and morally. We should also have a much greater emphasis on the great genius of classical British liberalism in our education system, and more greater requirement to learn about it from those coming here.

Oh, and stop letting intolerant people through our political system. If you believe you shouldn't be friends with people of other religions, or that people shouldn't be allowed to leave your religion, or that your daughter should be banned from marrying outside your religion, then you shouldn't be allowed in.
    I agree, and it is vital that such argument is heard and not suppressed out of "sensitivity".

• Options

Artist said:

We're surely coming up to the time where it'll be too late for the defected MP to trigger a by election, if it isn't already.

Yes, because of Christmas it's probably too late now for any further treasonists.
    Or because of Christmas there is no time for a by-election, which is very convenient for future defectors.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

Its a tricky one and I don't dispute it. UK politics encourages a broad church and excommunication is a risk. But I think (and it may be wishful thinking) that a tory party without such a fringe can gain more than equivalent support from the lib dems and the centre ground. This theory may self destruct in under 6 months.
    Matches my 'UKIP detoxifying Tories' theory well.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721

DavidL said:

I said:

Not quite. Some people are always more free than others.

Unsavoury views from the white right, say "racist" tweets mean prison sentences.
    Banners demanding those who insult Islam be beheaded don't even raise an eyebrow.

This double standard extends overseas.
    A cathedral gets desecrated in Moscow and the perpetrators are heroines.
    Bacon is attached to doors outside a mosque in Scotland and you get sent down.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I said:

Yep. Churchill spot on as usual (as long as you did not ask him to actually run things).

Democracy is the worst system of government apart from all the others. It looks weak but that weakness and ability to assimilate (borg like) is its greatest strength. We have weakened our democracy by accepting those who don't want to assimilate but ultimately they or their children or their childrens' children will. They will change us but they will inevitably be changed by more.

This was the Labour party's plan to import voters. Irrespective of short or long term effects.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577

DavidL said:

I said:

I think you'll find that's actually Orwellian doublespeak.
  • Options
    Itajai said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I said:

This was the Labour party's plan to import voters. Irrespective of short or long term effects.
    Even the Labour party can't screw this up. Not even them.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

DavidL said:

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

Unfortunately for the Tories the polling does not support it.
    People hate the Tories because of their image of corruption, incompetence and out of touchness that has been a characteristic for them for more than 2 decades now.

Also not helping is that there are not many liberal centrists left in this era, ironically the voters have moved to the extremes at the same time the Tories have moved to the centre.
    People today want socialism and thatcherism, not liberalism.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,577

DavidL said:

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

Detoxifying them out of existence.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

DavidL said:

I said:

Not so. You think I should be nailed to a wall when I comment on your toddler-humping mass-murdering 'prophet' hero and yet those who carry "Behead Those who oppose Islam" are free to walk the streets.

Both should be free to speak freely.

• Options
    On who will defect, there's only one that has publicly left the door open, John Baron.
    The EAW mess and the Euro bill will make perfect excuses for him. His seat is also in the middle of the UKIP heartland.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

Unfortunately for the Tories the polling does not support it.
    People hate the Tories because of their image of corruption, incompetence and out of touchness that has been a characteristic for them for more than 2 decades now.

Also not helping is that there are not many liberal centrists left in this era, ironically the voters have moved to the extremes at the same time the Tories have moved to the centre.
    People today want socialism and thatcherism, not liberalism.
    The myth of detoxification.

The enemies of the Tories want "detoxification". These same who would never ever vote Tory. They are better off sticking to what they really believe in rather than touchy feely stuff over green taxes, gay rights and overseas aid.

Totemic issues like s28 were wildly popular when implemented. Just not among the self appointed metropolitan elite? Who really did not vote for the Tories because of Apartheid? Those few middle class professional revolutionaries who really cared would never have voted for them anyway.

How many seats did this yield the Tories? Richmond and Oxford W&A? How many more did they forego? Assorted seats in Grimsby, Dudley, Walsall, S'ton and that's just a 5 second list.

Dave and his mates want to be loved by those who hate the Tories. Yet they despise their natural constituency.
  • Options
    "or that your daughter should be banned from marrying outside your religion, then you shouldn't be allowed in."

The Jewish religion would cease to exist in three or four generations. It is the most important tenet of the religion. But as they are already here or in similar liberal democracies how would you deal with their archaic behaviour?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

DavidL said:

I said:

I think you'll find that's actually Orwellian doublespeak.
    "In order to save the village it was necessary to destroy it..." [Vietnam War speak]
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    @TSE

Have you made your prediction yet? I cannot see it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Roger said:

"or that your daughter should be banned from marrying outside your religion, then you shouldn't be allowed in."

The Jewish religion would cease to exist in three or four generations. It is the most important tenet of the religion. But as they are already here or in similar liberal democracies how would you deal with their archaic behaviour?

Archaic Behaviour?
    Is that a rant or a humorist note?

Woody Allen: "I was raised in the Jewish tradition, taught never to marry a Gentile woman, shave on Saturday and, most especially, never to shave a Gentile woman on Saturday."
  • Options
    Roger said:

Now the real prejudice surfaces.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Shucks. Federer pulls out and costs me £30.
  • Options

@TSE

Just entered.

My prediction. UKIP by 12.69%.

I entered using the moniker TSE aka Malleus Traitorus PigDogus
  • Options
    Roger said:

Unfortunately, I'm banned from engaging with you on any topic, even though I appreciate your question.
  • Options
    Speedy

"Woody Allen: "I was raised in the Jewish tradition, taught never to marry a Gentile woman, shave on Saturday and, most especially, never to shave a Gentile woman on Saturday.""

Very good!

Nigel

"Now the real prejudice surfaces."

No just answering Socrates sweeping and typically half thought out generalization without giving him cause to call in the moderator
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Whatever happened to votes for prisoners??. I do hope this revolting individual gets time and isn't allowed to vote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2836535/Shameless-thief-sneaked-grandmother-s-funeral-burgle-MOTHER.html

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

Speedy

"Woody Allen: "I was raised in the Jewish tradition, taught never to marry a Gentile woman, shave on Saturday and, most especially, never to shave a Gentile woman on Saturday.""

Very good!

Nigel

"Now the real prejudice surfaces."

No just answering Socrates sweeping and typically half thought out generalization without giving him cause to call in the moderator

Roger your posts are full of generalisations about people you don't like.. but hey, you are well into hypocrisy.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370
    Socrates said:

I agree with the first part. But as fox has implied, there are paradoxes in liberalism that need to be considered. For example, Sweden has an agreeable-sounding law which taxes advertising in mass-circulation newspapers in order to subsidise the publication of legal but unusual opinions, in order to maximise the range of opinions from which readers can choose. A Trotskyist group advocating "dictatorship of the proletariat" applied for a subsidy - and got it. It was, the funding board ruled, an unusual opinion, not currently favoured by another newspaper, and legal to advocate it so long as no illegal steps were taken to bring it about - certainly publishing a newspaper on the subject was legal. Yet, the group would certainly have abolished the system, and freedom of expression generally, if they had taken power. Was the ruling admirably consistent or liberalism gone mad? I've never been sure.

To detach the issue from the ethnic context, there is a group of a few hundred people who used to operate a school in my constituency for the Brethren, who are I believe are essentially the Open Plymouth Brethren (I think it's moved now). They don't vote, but they're interested in public affairs, so they asked if they could visit Parliament. I said sure, and showed them round, then offered them tea and biscuits. They were horrified: "We do not eat or have other social contact with non-members, and only wished you to show us the premises". They were all white British. They seemed pretty harmless, but they certainly appeared to "believe you shouldn't be friends with people of other religions".

I guess you wouldn't favour expelling them. But would you forbid them from bringing in members of the sect from other countries? It's an example of a peculiar exclusive belief which is legal and doesn't do obvious harm, so imposing restrictions on them seems rather illiberal. But if you wouldn't, how would you distinguish from members of a group who disapproved of mingling with non-Muslims?

• Options

@TSE

Just entered.

My prediction. UKIP by 12.69%.

I entered using the moniker TSE aka Malleus Traitorus PigDogus
    Hmmmm.
    That is a tad higher than Lord A's poll said, from a praetorian Tory I expected single digits.
    New info from Rochester on hand?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

DavidL said:

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

In the same way that Labour detoxified the Liberals after 1916,

I'm genuinely mystified by the mentality that thinks that losing support is good in the long run.
  • Options
    Does anyone agree with me that John Baron is the most likely Tory MP to defect post-Rochester?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Does anyone agree with me that John Baron is the most likely Tory MP to defect post-Rochester?

I agree.
    That's one vote from me.
  • Options
    I see Reckless is now 1.03 to win with Betfair. That's even lower than Carswell was at a similar point in time before the election. Who would have thought it...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    AndyJS said:

Did you back him to win match or competition? You'll get your money back if it was the former
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    AndyJS said:

Ukip hustings 9th Dec, maybe I should go and be the new Roger Lord
  • Options
    Itajai said:

Except Pussy Riot did do time in a penal colony, while I'm sure plenty of types of a certain political persuasion think bacon boy is a hero. Where's the double standard?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    AndyJS said:

I don't know if there'll be any more defections, but he'd be top of the list.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I see Reckless is now 1.03 to win with Betfair. That's even lower than Carswell was at a similar point in time before the election. Who would have thought it...

I think today some people who had bet on a Tory victory in Rochester or those who tried to keep the odds shorter than 12 on Betfair simply liquidated their position this morning.

Ironically we had stories of Tory MP's placing bets on a Tory win in Rochester as late as Monday.
  • Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

Did you back him to win match or competition? You'll get your money back if it was the former
    To be honest I'm not sure. I'll check it. Thanks for flagging up the difference which I wasn't aware of.
  • Options
    The "desecration" of the church by Pussy Riot was.. ummm... singing a song with curse words in it there. No physical damage was caused. And for that illegal concert, they spent time in Siberians work camps. It was an insane and barbaric reaction.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I guess you wouldn't favour expelling them. But would you forbid them from bringing in members of the sect from other countries? It's an example of a peculiar exclusive belief which is legal and doesn't do obvious harm, so imposing restrictions on them seems rather illiberal. But if you wouldn't, how would you distinguish from members of a group who disapproved of mingling with non-Muslims?

You're right: I wouldn't support expelling anyone that's already a British citizen. However, I would stop more of them immigrating. If they're not prepared to integrate with general British society, they shouldn't be given settlement here. As I have pointed out on here many times, I have no specific grudge against Islamic intolerance over other forms of intolerance. I just point out that it's much more widespread in this country than any other type.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    The Tory campaign in Rochester has been utterly abysmal. One of the worst I can remember. The Team2015 thing is ill conceived. In fact it's just way out of touch. The Tories deserve to lose on Thursday. As they deserve to lose in May of course.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sorry, Andy, he looked promising last night but he must have exerted himself too much.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

Itajai said:

Except Pussy Riot did do time in a penal colony, while I'm sure plenty of types of a certain political persuasion think bacon boy is a hero. Where's the double standard?
    We have a penal colony?

I thought they were lauded by the lefty media-political establishment.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    BenM said:

The Tory campaign in Rochester has been utterly abysmal. One of the worst I can remember. The Team2015 thing is ill conceived. In fact it's just way out of touch. The Tories deserve to lose on Thursday. As they deserve to lose in May of course.

The problem with that is that all the options are worse and deserve to lose at least as much.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    edited November 2014
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Ishmael_X said:

DavidL said:

How much does it trouble you tce", but it ain't no way to win an election.

Its a tricky one
    In the same way that Labour detoxified the Liberals after 1916,

I'm genuinely mystified by the mentality that thinks that losing support is good in the long run.
    Desperation. If it were replaced by other support that would be fine, but where's it going to come from? Former LDs? Overwhelmingly to Labour or Greens, not enough to make up for what is lost. Other non-aligned centrist voters? Doesn't seem to be that many around thesedays as what was the centre has shifted, and in any case the Labour brand is still more liked than the Tory one, so odds are they are more likely break for the former than the latter.

Moreover, the Tories are simultaneously losing a whole section of support, even as many of their MPs and candidates - and with less genuine enthusiasm, the leadership to a certain degree - are trying to ramp up their positions to appeal to those who are on their way out the door. Maybe some will end up coming back to them, but as far as I can see, the Tories are losing 'toxic' support - of considerable size - while intensifying the very policies and language which made the Tories 'toxic' to many in the first place.

That is, if those leaving for UKIP were to be the sign of the Tories purging the toxic from the party and being seen as a viable option by many others as a result, it won't work very well considering half the Tory party seems to want to be UKIP, and stresses how much they have in common and should be working together all the time.

Edit: That said, all I ever seem to hear from the Tories is how they are obsessed with not being seen as toxic or nasty, which just perpetuates it - they don't seem any more nasty to me than any other party - as they seem to believe it as much as other parties/ Now, given there is definitely a major anti-Tory bias in parts of the country which goes beyond the rational and which is more significant than the anti-Labour vote, I'm not sure how they resolve it. Huge parts of the country would never vote Tory even if they supported their policies, so the Tories acknowledge they are hated and try to change to fix it, which just reminds people all over again how the Tories are toxic and need to be fixed, so they gain little benefit.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    edited November 2014
    Socrates said:

The "desecration" of the church by Pussy Riot was.. ummm... singing a song with curse words in it there. No physical damage was caused. And for that illegal concert, they spent time in Siberians work camps. It was an insane and barbaric reaction.

Insane and barbaric?

You are such an expert on the region I am sure you are aware the Church of Christ the Saviour was demolished by the Bolsheviks, but was rebuilt by public subscription in the 90s when Russians were starving in the streets, so it occupies a particularly sacred position in Russian life. I am sure you have been to the Church so you are also aware that a woman must wear a shawl when entering, similarly I am sure you are aware how deeply outraged Russians were but this disgusting publicity stunt.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/08/23/the-secret-history-of-pussy-riot/
  • Options

"The "desecration" of the church by Pussy Riot was.. ummm... singing a song with curse words in it there. No physical damage was caused. And for that illegal concert, they spent time in Siberians work camps. It was an insane and barbaric reaction."

Prison for protest. Barbarians......

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/aug/07/charlie-gilmour-prison-david-mitchell
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Socrates said:

It was the second time they had done it.

Pussy Riot is itself a swear word in Russian.

One wore a slogan from the Spanish Civil War, with all its slaughter of priests, in a church only just re-built after being razed by the Communists.

What they did would be illegal in this country under at least four difference offences.

I agree, though, that their detention was too long.

But that hardly entitles them to be feted on a visit to this country.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

Insane and barbaric?

You are such an expert on the region I am sure you are aware the Church of Christ the Saviour was demolished by the Bolsheviks, but was rebuilt by public subscription in the 90s when Russians were starving in the streets, so it occupies a particularly sacred position in Russian life. I am sure you have been to the Church so you are also aware that a woman must wear a shawl when entering, similarly I am sure you are aware how deeply outraged Russians were but this disgusting publicity stunt.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/08/23/the-secret-history-of-pussy-riot/
    And people in the southern United States were outraged by black men kissing white women. Outrage does not justify sending people to do hard labour for a song that did no physical damage. If someone did some obscene gesture on top of the cenotaph, that would be incredibly offensive to me, but it doesn't mean they should get shipped off to the gulags for it. It's a community service type offence, at worst. Putin's regime was brutal because they were criticising him, just like they have killed various other critics over the years. He is an evil man leading an evil regime.
This discussion has been closed.