Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Leading psephologist argues that likeability ratings are be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Leading psephologist argues that likeability ratings are better predictor of voting behaviour than “best leader” questions

Prof Paul Whiteley, of University of Essex who ran BPIX, posted an interesting article last night suggesting that some of the standard measures like “best leader” might not be a good indicator of electoral outcomes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2014
    Huzzah!
  • Options
    FPT

Looks like Opinium have released their tables on a Sunday, so, as hinted at earlier, here is this week's Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week): 10 polls with field-work end-dates from 2nd to 8th November, total weighted sample 12,891.

Lab 33.4% (+0.8)
    Con 31.6% (+0.1)
    UKIP 16.3% (-1.0)
    LD 7.8% (+0.1)

Lab lead 1.8% (+0.7%)

comparisons with our first ELBOW on 17th August:

Lab -2.8%
    Con -1.5%
    UKIP +3.2%
    LD -1.0%

Lab lead -1.2% (ie. was 3.0%, now 1.8%)

So this week, looks like Labour claw back a little of their lead, at UKIP's expense.
    Was it all you were hoping for?
    :)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Where is Farage? I trust this psephologist deliberately left him out making the whole exercise futile.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I wonder where Farage is on the likeability scores?
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2014
    I don't think likeability is the right criteria. Respect would probably be a better one. Clegg is very likeable but it hasn't stopped his party's vote share collapsing and talking of Margaret Thatcher I'd be surprised if she won any likeability polls in the 1980's but she probably would have topped most polls in regard to respect.

And one thing is certain Mr. Ed doesn't get a great deal of respect.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126
    Personally I find Ed Miliband in some ways more 'likeable than Cameron' but Cameron still looks more of a PM. Blair and Major were quite likeable, as were Wilson, Callaghan and Macmillan, Brown, Heath and Thatcher were not particularly, but again all ended up PM. It is better to be more likeable than not, but in the end it is not the key determinant of election succcess
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2014

I don't think likeability is the right criteria. Respect would probably be a better one. Clegg is very likeable but it hasn't stopped his party's vote share collapsing and talking of Margaret Thatcher I'd be surprised if she won any likeability polls in the 1980's but she probably would have topped most polls in regard to respect.

It reminds me of this old Populus poll:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-26787677

Goodnight.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Thanks for all your work on this Sunil.

FPT

Looks like Opinium have released their tables on a Sunday, so, as hinted at earlier, here is this week's Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week): 10 polls with field-work end-dates from 2nd to 8th November, total weighted sample 12,891.

Lab 33.4% (+0.8)
    Con 31.6% (+0.1)
    UKIP 16.3% (-1.0)
    LD 7.8% (+0.1)

Lab lead 1.8% (+0.7%)

Lab -2.8%
    Con -1.5%
    UKIP +3.2%
    LD -1.0%

So this week, looks like Labour claw back a little of their lead, at UKIP's expense.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    University of Essex.. hardly a right wing establishment IIRC..

RE this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29978194

Are we to expect Kinnock to say "we're awwwwright"
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited November 2014
    Two words...one name...Margaret Thatcher.

Based upon "likeability" she wouldn't have won a thing. Feared by the left, respected by the large % of the middle classes, that is what won her all those votes in places the Tories can only dream of winning now. But I think those same middle class voters wouldn't have wanted her round for Sunday Lunch, as scared s##t of her (as was most of her cabinet).

Cameron doesn't have the respect of the middle class, they see him as a weak PR man, who isn't a leader, but not as bad as Ed.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Likeability is probably a big part of it, but certainly it's not all of what people take into account when considering a leader. I would say that, at the very least, Ed would need a lead on the "likeability" score to have any chance of cancelling out the advantage Cameron will have on the strong/competent ratings.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited November 2014

Mr Ed.. was a horse!!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDsQtwIwAw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZ_v8cwFPk&ei=BvlfVP68C8zSaJ-kgFg&usg=AFQjCNHQ8ZBDuLWImuE0dyPBhkuZ1f3t8w&bvm=bv.79189006,d.d2s
  • Options
    I think what can be said is normally the more likeable candidate wins except in circumstances of economic difficulty. We have had 3 'dislikeable' PMs since the war, Heath, Thatcher and Brown. Heath in 1970 and Thatcher in 1979 were elected in times of economic difficulty, Brown in 2010 was ousted having created economic difficulty
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,974
    MikeK said:

Where is Farage? I trust this psephologist deliberately left him out making the whole exercise futile.

Hardly. While the relative likeability of the other three to Farage is a factor, given UKIP's positioning as the outsiders compared to the big three considered as one bloc, the more vital issue would be if any of the main party leaders are pulling clear of the others in such terms, or if they are all equally as liked, and more relevantly, disliked. If one were really likeable compared to the others, UKIP's task would be more difficult.

And given UKIP have no desire to undermine their status as outsiders, even as they begin to get seats in the Commons and become as professional as the professionals they despise, I find myself unmoved by the whines from Kippers about being left out. UKIP want to be left out of such things to bolster that outsider status.

And yes, I say 'whines'. I welcome UKIP gaining enough seats to be meaningful as much as the next person, but as much as they do find themselves under concerted attacks which can be overblown, it is also true they can whinge like the best of them, and sometimes disingenuously at that, particularly when it comes to being not being included among the traditional leaders, which is the last thing they want outside of the key and public occasions.

Good night all.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    Any news from the Catalonia independence referendum? I heard turnout was very poor (sub 40%), so hard to draw too many conclusions.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @thetimes: Miliband has lost public’s confidence, aide admits http://t.co/iL74psQVZ0 #scotpapers http://t.co/X5unsFGaT1
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Thanks for all your work on this Sunil.

FPT

Lab 33.4% (+0.8)
    Con 31.6% (+0.1)
    UKIP 16.3% (-1.0)
    LD 7.8% (+0.1)

Lab lead 1.8% (+0.7%)

Lab -2.8%
    Con -1.5%
    UKIP +3.2%
    LD -1.0%

You're welcome. Just an alternative metric to the straightforward mathematical polling averages. By looking at the tables, at least we confirm whether the published percentages make sense :)
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    To be fair to Mrs Thatcher, she was on the eve of smashing the glass ceiling of politics after already punching a great big hole in it by becoming the first female Leader of a UK political party. So unless Ed Miliband plans on starting to wear a red dress and pearls before the GE, its not really comparing like with like. :) I doubt many voters 'dislike' Miliband, but right now they just don't think he has the combined Leadership qualities required to be an effective party Leader or to become a strong PM. That is what is dragging his personal polling down.
  • Options
    "General Election @UKELECTIONS2015 · 2h 2 hours ago

UKIP have been backed to win 50+ seats at the #GE2015 forcing William Hill to halve their odds from 16/1 to 8/1"

https://twitter.com/UKELECTIONS2015
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Scott_P said:

@thetimes: Miliband has lost public’s confidence, aide admits http://t.co/iL74psQVZ0 #scotpapers http://t.co/X5unsFGaT1

The Times are really trying hard to get rid of Ed Miliband before the election it seems.

Why, I wonder?

I think it could be because the paper particularly detests UKIP and they've come to the conclusion that the purples will do pretty well in Labour areas unless Miliband goes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 As of 18:00 local time (17:00 GMT) - two hours before the close of polling, 1,977,531 had voted, according to the Catalan government. No results yet
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29974635
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Any news from the Catalonia independence referendum? I heard turnout was very poor (sub 40%), so hard to draw too many conclusions.

About 42% voted according to this:

Catalan leaders hope big turnout will send independence signal

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1211e7ce-6819-11e4-acc0-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3IcSICqvZ
  • Options

Mr Ed.. was a horse!!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDsQtwIwAw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZ_v8cwFPk&ei=BvlfVP68C8zSaJ-kgFg&usg=AFQjCNHQ8ZBDuLWImuE0dyPBhkuZ1f3t8w&bvm=bv.79189006,d.d2s
    Well done you spotted my own lack of respect for him........
  • Options
    Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 55m55 minutes ago
    Sunil on Sunday ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week) update 9th Nov. Lab 33.4%, Con 31.6%, UKIP 16.3%, LD 7.8%

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/531584914605764609
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29982960

"Vice President Joana Ortega said that more than two million people had taken part in the poll and that with almost all votes counted, 80.72% had backed independence."

"The government considers this to be a day of political propaganda organised by pro-independence forces and devoid of any kind of democratic validity,"

Not going to be any problems there then....
  • Options
    Indigo Indeed the '80%' has rather more of a ring to it than the '45%'!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    rcs1000 said:

The referendum was (a) unconstitutional, therefore (b) illegal, and therefore (c) invalid and (d) meaningless; (e) organised by the pro-independence campaign (f) known by everybody in advance to be all of the above; therefore (g) has no value in terms of demonstrating the real wishes of the Catalonian people. It's a bit like the private referendum in Scotland to express support for Section 28 (or the Scottish equivalent) which was funded and organised by a self-important bigot.

If there were a proper real referendum, organised under the proper auspices of the authorities in Spain, it would be a different kettle of ballgames.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    JohnLoony said:

If there were a proper real referendum, organised under the proper auspices of the authorities in Spain, it would be a different kettle of ballgames.

Which there wont be because the national authorities don't want it... so what is Catalonia's alternative? No one be surprised if Catalonia declares UDI.

• Options
    Indigo said:

JohnLoony said:

Which there wont be because the national authorities don't want it... so what is Catalonia's alternative? No one be surprised if Catalonia declares UDI.

It feels like they needed bigger turnout. 80% of 40% is only 32%. It's hard to make a case for the overwhelming will of the people based on that.
  • Options
    @JohnLoony, absolutely agree.
    JohnLoony said:

rcs1000 said:

The referendum was (a) unconstitutional, therefore (b) illegal, and therefore (c) invalid and (d) meaningless; (e) organised by the pro-independence campaign (f) known by everybody in advance to be all of the above; therefore (g) has no value in terms of demonstrating the real wishes of the Catalonian people. It's a bit like the private referendum in Scotland to express support for Section 28 (or the Scottish equivalent) which was funded and organised by a self-important bigot.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Indigo said:

JohnLoony said:

It feels like they needed bigger turnout. 80% of 40% is only 32%. It's hard to make a case for the overwhelming will of the people based on that.
    I agree, but that isn't what John was saying, he said it doesn't matter a damn because its not a proper referendum, and Madrid isn't going to give them one.

It would be like a massed movement in Cornwall wanting to leave the UK, with quite a lot of separatist MPs, but not enough to win any votes in parliament. London tells them to go to hell and refuses to countenance a referendum on Cornish Sovereignty, as they would. So their only alternative short of just declaring independence unilaterally is to demonstrate support and try and generate moral authority. Even if the referendum is unconstitutional, it would tell London that 2m+ people in the region don't want to be part of the UK, and they are not likely to be going away.

In effect what would have happened in Scotland if London has refused to let them hold the recent referendum.
  • Options

Based upon "likeability" she wouldn't have won a thing. Feared by the left, respected by the large % of the middle classes, that is what won her all those votes in places the Tories can only dream of winning now. But I think those same middle class voters wouldn't have wanted her round for Sunday Lunch, as scared s##t of her (as was most of her cabinet).

Cameron doesn't have the respect of the middle class, they see him as a weak PR man, who isn't a leader, but not as bad as Ed.

I'm too young to remember this but is there any more detailed polling on what the voters thought of Thatcher in 78/79? Did she have the whole feared/respected/polarizing thing at that point, or did that come later?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I'm too young to remember this but is there any more detailed polling on what the voters thought of Thatcher in 78/79? Did she have the whole feared/respected/polarizing thing at that point, or did that come later?
    I found this, which seems relevant although I am not sure of the pedigree.

http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/public-perspective/ppscan/22/22015.pdf

"A Gallup poll in July 1990 found that 61% respected her but only 28% liked her. The number who both liked and respected her was a small minority of 21 %. The number who both disliked and did not respect her was also a minority-30%. The single largest category of electors-40%-respected her, while disliking her."
  • Options
    Indigo said:

I found this, which seems relevant although I am not sure of the pedigree.

http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/public-perspective/ppscan/22/22015.pdf

"A Gallup poll in July 1990 found that 61% respected her but only 28% liked her. The number who both liked and respected her was a small minority of 21 %. The number who both disliked and did not respect her was also a minority-30%. The single largest category of electors-40%-respected her, while disliking her."
    That sounds plausible for 1990. But what I'm wondering is whether we're not projecting the attitudes people had after she took office, especially after the Falklands, when what's relevant to the thread is what people thought of her back when she was still Leader of the Opposition.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Edmund, that all came later. Seriously, we really do forget just what a leap into the unknown it was for the UK to elect their first female PM back in the seventies, the Tory party who elected Thatcher were as surprised as the rest of the country when they discovered they had elected her their Leader! Almost as much as we forget just how tired and knackered the country was of the economic situation it was in, riddled with strikes bringing the whole country to a halt etc. We were the sick man of Europe.

Its almost pointless trying to describe it to some young warriors on the left today who have 'read up on Thatchers reign, and now have it ingrained that the country was fine before Thatcher came along and destroyed it'. I was in my early teens, but very interested in politics and the fact that we might finally elect our first female PM, so my parents actually let me stay up to watch the 79' GE as a result! And the most ironic point is that Thatcher in the early days was the in her way the biggest rebel on all sides of the political divide!

Seriously, this was a GE where the 'its the economy stupid' that really overrode anything else, and it was only Thatcher that promised real change. Not long after she was elected, I remember being in one of the earliest Modern Studies classes in a Scottish Comprehensive, our Mods teacher was the school Union Rep and as Red as they came, he was devastated the Tories won. He asked the class to put their hands up if they would voted for Thatcher if they were old enough, everyone did bar one, and this was rural Scotland in the late 70's! Its often forgotten that Thatcher simple wouldn't have achieved the things she did without the electorates full support at that time.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited November 2014
    ComRes' recent "party you would seriously consider voting for" question produced very similar numbers to their 'favourable' question. So they seem to be measuring the same thing.

http://www.comres.co.uk/poll/1293/sunday-mirror-independent-on-sunday-poll.htm

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2014/09/27/comres-poll-farage-as-popular-as-cameron/
  • Options
    There is no doubt that many people supported Thatcher in 79 cos she was female. Leaving normal party politics aside it really was ground-breaking at the time.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/2477/British-Public-Opinion-March-1979.aspx

Bizarrely has Callaghan down as most capable (just), and most able to deal with the unions (massively)

Answer on the Scottish Assembly interesting as well!
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    edited November 2014
    fitalass said:

Edmund, that all came later. Seriously, we really do forget just what a leap into the unknown it was for the UK to elect their first female PM back in the seventies, the Tory party who elected Thatcher were as surprised as the rest of the country when they discovered they had elected her their Leader! Almost as much as we forget just how tired and knackered the country was of the economic situation it was in, riddled with strikes bringing the whole country to a halt etc. We were the sick man of Europe.

Its almost pointless trying to describe it to some young warriors on the left today who have 'read up on Thatchers reign, and now have it ingrained that the country was fine before Thatcher came along and destroyed it'. I was in my early teens, but very interested in politics and the fact that we might finally elect our first female PM, so my parents actually let me stay up to watch the 79' GE as a result! And the most ironic point is that Thatcher in the early days was the in her way the biggest rebel on all sides of the political divide!

Seriously, this was a GE where the 'its the economy stupid' that really overrode anything else, and it was only Thatcher that promised real change. Not long after she was elected, I remember being in one of the earliest Modern Studies classes in a Scottish Comprehensive, our Mods teacher was the school Union Rep and as Red as they came, he was devastated the Tories won. He asked the class to put their hands up if they would voted for Thatcher if they were old enough, everyone did bar one, and this was rural Scotland in the late 70's! Its often forgotten that Thatcher simple wouldn't have achieved the things she did without the electorates full support at that time.

I'm a little too young, I just remember her getting elected and my primary school head being sceptical, to say the least. ( Think he didn't like the appropriation of St.Francis's words)

what do you think of this opinion?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/apr/01/falklands-war-thatcher-30-years

"British PM's lucky gamble not only repelled the Argentinian invasion but also paved way for her ideological reforms"
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Its often forgotten that Thatcher simple wouldn't have achieved the things she did without the electorates full support at that time.

The general election share of the vote for the Conservatives while Thatcher was leader were:
    1979, 43.9%
    1983, 42.4%
    1987, 42.2%
    It's an impressive solidity of support and could be fully ten percentage points than either party of Cameron or Miliband achieves in 2015. Interesting also to compare to Blair's three general elections as Labour leader:
    1997, 43.2%
    2001, 40.7%
    2005, 35.2%
    In percentage share terms Blair lost nearly five times as much support between his first and third elections than Thatcher did.

[NB I've used UK-wide shares from Wikipedia for my convenience, rather than GB shares that are comparable to opinion polls. I think that GB share ~ UK share + 1]
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2014

fitalass said:

Its often forgotten that Thatcher simple wouldn't have achieved the things she did without the electorates full support at that time.

The general election share of the vote for the Conservatives while Thatcher was leader were:
    1979, 43.9%
    1983, 42.4%
    1987, 42.2%
    It's an impressive solidity of support and could be fully ten percentage points than either party of Cameron or Miliband achieves in 2015. Interesting also to compare to Blair's three general elections as Labour leader:
    1997, 43.2%
    2001, 40.7%
    2005, 35.2%
    In percentage share terms Blair lost nearly five times as much support between his first and third elections than Thatcher did.

[NB I've used UK-wide shares from Wikipedia for my convenience, rather than GB shares that are comparable to opinion polls. I think that GB share ~ UK share + 1]
    For the sake of consistency and ease of making comparison please use GB shares
    Polling is carried out on a GB basis (excluding NI)

Also 42% can hardly be described as "full support". Three out of five people were not for her.

In any case national vote shares have zero relevance in terms of determining GE outcomes.

• Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

Yes I agree.

My hunch is that the Professor has spent a little too much time on this, and Mike has swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Likeability isn't a criteria for PM, and I've voted for people I don't like but who I thought would do the best job. In fact, some would say you do not want a likeable character. John Major remained likeable enough despite being useless.

I remember someone once comparing it to your bank manager. You don't want them to like them. You want them to be good at their job.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Personally I find Ed Miliband in some ways more 'likeable than Cameron' but Cameron still looks more of a PM. Blair and Major were quite likeable, as were Wilson, Callaghan and Macmillan, Brown, Heath and Thatcher were not particularly, but again all ended up PM. It is better to be more likeable than not, but in the end it is not the key determinant of election succcess

Beware incumbency bias.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Beware incumbency bias.

Callaghan is an odd one, he was thought more competent than Thatcher according to that 1979 poll, and much more able to handle the unions, he was the incumbent, he was more likeable, he lost. God knows how he was thought more competent and capable after the Winter of Discontent.

• Options

John Major remained likeable enough despite being useless.

Why do you think John Major was useless?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    FT claiming Osborne facing huge additional cuts.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

HYUFD said:

Beware incumbency bias.

And yet, Mike, at local MP level you refer to incumbency as a poll factor. As the UK has a quasi-presidential system I'd be interested to know why you think it doesn't apply.

• Options
    Indigo said:

JohnLoony said:

Is the Catalan Prime Minister Juan el Herrero?

And is the leading party the Frente Catalan?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

fitalass said:

1979, 43.9%
    1983, 42.4%
    1987, 42.2%
    1997, 43.2%
    2001, 40.7%
    2005, 35.2%

Also 42% can hardly be described as "full support". Three out of five people were not for her.

In any case national vote shares have zero relevance in terms of determining GE outcomes.

It seems at least a little churlish to criticise someone for comparing election vote shares with election vote shares, especially when the distinction to national polling was made in the post which you're criticising.

So, while you're being churlish allow me to join in.

"national vote shares have zero relevance in terms of determining GE outcomes"

If a party gets zero percent of the national vote share they will get zero seats. That implies some (ie more than zero) relevance of vote share in terms of determining GE outcomes.
  • Options

fitalass said:

I'm a little too young, I just remember her getting elected and my primary school head being sceptical, to say the least. ( Think he didn't like the appropriation of St.Francis's words)

"British PM's lucky gamble not only repelled the Argentinian invasion but also paved way for her ideological reforms"
    I don't think it would have made much difference. I think there's some polling which suggests it might have but I just think it's a convenient excuse for the left.

As fitalass says, you had to live through that era of disaster, remember the trip to the IMF?
  • Options
    Morning all.

Hmm, I don’t need to ‘like’ someone in order to vote for them, but I do need to respect them. – Likability, imho, is an entirely arbitrary response as to be almost meaningless, there are lots of people I ‘like’, who I doubt could manage a small business, let alone run a country.

The “who would make best leader” question, although not entirely free from an emotive response, focuses the electorate’s mind on the practicalities of running the country successfully and the individual leader’s perceived abilities in achieving this.

Thatcher was never particularly ‘liked’ if memory recalls, but she certainly knew how to run a country and was reelected 3 times on the back of it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    The professor's article is just plain poor.

"It turns out that likeability is closely associated with other desirable traits that a successful leader needs, such as being competent ..."

For a start, "It turns out ..." is a phrase that always makes me suspicious. If you have evidence, or a logical chain, that supports an argument, you give it. You don't say "It turns out ..." Whenever the phrase is used, I feel the wool being pulled over my eyes.

And second, it is demonstrably false. Likeability is not correlated with competence in our everyday experience.

Miliband doesn't have a likeability problem, he has a huge competency problem, as indicated by two catastrophic conference speeches.

And he has a problem connecting with the working class vote (evidence: Scotland). Of course, almost all our politicians have no idea how life is lived by the working class, but it is a particular problem for a leader purporting to run a party that represents them.

• Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

I don't think it would have made much difference. I think there's some polling which suggests it might have but I just think it's a convenient excuse for the left.

As fitalass says, you had to live through that era of disaster, remember the trip to the IMF?
    The IMF loan was subsequently shown to be unnecessary after the statistics were revised (a practice still common today) and was never drawn.

If the Falklands had been lost then almost certainly HMG would have been blamed for the defence cuts and in particular the withdrawal of HMS Endurance which had encouraged Argentina to invade. Mrs Thatcher would have resigned or been forced out (and remember, before the Falklands, she was not very popular with her own party).
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Forget likeability. Ed has an affordability problem, as do all of those who surround him.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

fitalass said:

No, literally the first politics I remember is Mrs T being elected (I was 8)
  • Options

fitalass said:

1979, 43.9%
    1983, 42.4%
    1987, 42.2%
    1997, 43.2%
    2001, 40.7%
    2005, 35.2%

I always forget where to find the GB shares from past elections. They aren't on the BBC election results pages, or on Wikipedia. Perhaps someone could engage with Wikipedia and ask for them to also specify the GB shares? For the purpose of my post it doesn't make much difference.

I agree that 42% is not full support (though obviously this would be a bit higher on a GB rather than UK basis), but I think that the consistency of her support is politically relevant. It is remarkable that in 1987 she retained the vast majority of the support that she was elected on in 1979, despite some incredibly contentious times. This shows that after eight years she had maintained the trust of the electorate who had elected her. What other political leader - in any country - can say the same? I can only think of FDR.

Zero relevance is a bit strong. In a five-party system you still require more than 10% national support - optimally distributed - in order to achieve a bare majority. Neither the Liberal Democrats or the Greens are currently polling at that level...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    OT - the whole likeability nonsense smells of 'the wish being father to the thought' - it doesen't alter the fact the Labour made a poor choice admittedly from a pretty dire field.

Ed is speaking today to offer big business a deal - he'll never take Britain out of the UK providing they raise pay to Living wage levels. However, the proposal, in my view has 3 potentially fatal flaws:

1. Higher UK wages will draw in even more immigrants than ever.
    2. There is no guarantee that indigenous people will out-compete them for these jobs unless the incentives to opt for benefits are much more significantly reduced.
    3. Labour will never tackle number 2.

Of course also while sympathising with higher wages as an aspiration for any good business there is also the danger that the trade-off would inevitably be higher unemployment once the bottom -line kicks in.
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

The IMF loan was subsequently shown to be unnecessary after the statistics were revised (a practice still common today) and was never drawn.

If the Falklands had been lost then almost certainly HMG would have been blamed for the defence cuts and in particular the withdrawal of HMS Endurance which had encouraged Argentina to invade. Mrs Thatcher would have resigned or been forced out (and remember, before the Falklands, she was not very popular with her own party).
    They still made the trip, to the IMF.

It's hard to tell how close it really was on the Falklands, the British Army was pretty resilient at the time. Hell, they even walked across the bleedin' Island after their helicopters had all been destroyed.

I will say thank F. I never ended up there.
  • Options

Zero relevance is a bit strong. In a five-party system you still require more than 10% national support - optimally distributed - in order to achieve a bare majority. Neither the Liberal Democrats or the Greens are currently polling at that level...

The correlation between percentage of vote and percentage of seats, for the winning party, in elections since the war is about 0.3, not great, but hardly nothing.
  • Options

The professor's article is just plain poor.

"It turns out that likeability is closely associated with other desirable traits that a successful leader needs, such as being competent ..."

For a start, "It turns out ..." is a phrase that always makes me suspicious. If you have evidence, or a logical chain, that supports an argument, you give it. You don't say "It turns out ..." Whenever the phrase is used, I feel the wool being pulled over my eyes.

And second, it is demonstrably false. Likeability is not correlated with competence in our everyday experience.

Miliband doesn't have a likeability problem, he has a huge competency problem, as indicated by two catastrophic conference speeches.

And he has a problem connecting with the working class vote (evidence: Scotland). Of course, almost all our politicians have no idea how life is lived by the working class, but it is a particular problem for a leader purporting to run a party that represents them.

Absolutely - I guess the Essex professor is sympathetic to Labour - he has certainly written extensively about the party.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Swiss_Bob said:

As one who lived though it, and was very interested in politics, I’m sure that if it hadn’t been for the Falklands Mrs Thatcher would have lost the '83 election However, it’s highly unlikely Labour would have won it. Labour was still in disarray following the arguements between Left & Right which led to the SDP splitting off.

Until the Falklands War started to be being won, the probablity, as I recall was that, FPTP permitting, there would have been a strong third party presence in the HoC after the next election. Even afterwards many were surprised at the size of the Tory majority.

If the Falklands War had been lost the Government would have collapsed. It had been quietly discussing some form of joint Government of the Islands with the Argies but when that was revealed there was a vocal, cross-party group which caused problems. Even then, if Galtieri hadn’t jumped, there was still a chance that some sort of deal could have been struck.
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

As one who lived though it, and was very interested in politics, I’m sure that if it hadn’t been for the Falklands Mrs Thatcher would have lost the '83 election However, it’s highly unlikely Labour would have won it. Labour was still in disarray following the arguements between Left & Right which led to the SDP splitting off.

Until the Falklands War started to be being won, the probablity, as I recall was that, FPTP permitting, there would have been a strong third party presence in the HoC after the next election. Even afterwards many were surprised at the size of the Tory majority.

If the Falklands War had been lost the Government would have collapsed. It had been quietly discussing some form of joint Government of the Islands with the Argies but when that was revealed there was a vocal, cross-party group which caused problems. Even then, if Galtieri hadn’t jumped, there was still a chance that some sort of deal could have been struck.
    Falklands War Conflict.

Not forgetting the NI 'Troubles'.

So many euphemisms for war these days.
  • Options
    I strongly suspect that OGH published this article solely to wind up the Tories here.

The basic problem is that comparing a Prime Minister to a Leader of the Opposition is "apples and oranges".

Even more basic than that is whether people are using "type 1" or "type 2" thinking. (Broadly speaking, intuition or reasoning.) An example might be: Blair came across as intuitively likeable - so much so that some people (on both ends of the political spectrum) concluded (type 2 thinking) that he must be a snake oil salesman. Of to-day's leaders, probably Farage comes closest to that profile. It's much easier to sustain in opposition than Government (ask Nick Clegg) - Blair's gift was to reproduce it in 2001.

The Tories won in 1979 despite Thatcher, who was heartily disliked within and beyond her Party until the Falklands War. After that she was adored by "type 1" thinkers who distrusted their reasoning powers (often because those powers were derided at home and school). There were and are a lot of people like that.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    As I remember it 1979 felt pretty much like the end of days. Callaghan was (on topic) a very likeable PM but he had lost his grip on his party and the country. The winter of discontent showed Unions at their very worst, political in a hard left way that is now hard to comprehend, self interested and on a huge ego trip. The Unions of today are a very pale shadow and mostly constructive, particularly in the private sector.

I really don't recall anyone who liked Mrs T in 79. She was much shriller and less polished than she became. But she came across as a woman with a plan whilst poor old Jim just looked bewildered that a movement that he had been a part of his entire life had destroyed his government.

In modern times the Postman is clearly likeable but even Ed is better than that. Running a country is difficult and I want people much smarter than me to be doing it. They will still make mistakes and I in the cheap seats will continue to throw the odd egg but my number one concern is that they understand the problems even if I don't agree with their solutions. Likeability is a second or even third order consideration.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited November 2014
    felix said:

...raise pay to Living wage levels. However, the proposal, in my view has 3 potentially fatal flaws:

2. There is no guarantee that indigenous people will out-compete them for these jobs unless the incentives to opt for benefits are much more significantly reduced.

Of course also while sympathising with higher wages as an aspiration for any good business there is also the danger that the trade-off would inevitably be higher unemployment once the bottom -line kicks in.

If the prevailing wage level at low skill levels is much higher than at present, then the income differential between benefits and low skill wages is greater and thus there is more incentive to work. So your point 2 is logically invalid.

If you take the view that current benefit levels are at subsistence level - ie they are at the minimum level required to subsist given the cost of living in the UK - then it is obviously preferable to increase the incentive to work by increasing wages rather than by decreasing benefits.

You could argue that benefit levels for people with many children are above subsistence level, but I think that benefit levels for the childless are more clearly not. In the former case one then has the question as to whether it is morally acceptable to force children - who can do nothing to improve their material condition until they are old enough to enter the world of work - to live at subsistence levels because of the decisions of their parents.
  • Options
    felix said:

Ed is speaking today to offer big business a deal - he'll never take Britain out of the UK providing ...blockquote>

??? You mean EU ???

• Options

felix said:

...raise pay to Living wage levels. However, the proposal, in my view has 3 potentially fatal flaws:

If the prevailing wage level at low skill levels is much higher than at present, then the income differential between benefits and low skill wages is greater and thus there is more incentive to work. So your point 2 is logically invalid.

If you take the view that current benefit levels are at subsistence level - ie they are at the minimum level required to subsist given the cost of living in the UK - then it is obviously preferable to increase the incentive to work by increasing wages rather than by decreasing benefits.

You could argue that benefit levels for people with many children are above subsistence level, but I think that benefit levels for the childless are more clearly not. In the former case one then has the question as to whether it is morally acceptable to force children - who can do nothing to improve their material condition until they are old enough to enter the world of work - to live at subsistence levels because of the decisions of their parents.
    That has always been the justification for welfare benefits - although starving children never seem to trouble the sleep of politicians before the advent of the Labour Party. I suspect there are not a few Peebies who could contemplate them with equanimity.

In fact we all do - as long as they live far enough away (Africa, say).

• Options
    edited November 2014
    DavidL said:

As I remember it 1979 felt pretty much like the end of days. Callaghan was (on topic) a very likeable PM but he had lost his grip on his party and the country. The winter of discontent showed Unions at their very worst, political in a hard left way that is now hard to comprehend, self interested and on a huge ego trip. The Unions of today are a very pale shadow and mostly constructive, particularly in the private sector.

I really don't recall anyone who liked Mrs T in 79. She was much shriller and less polished than she became. But she came across as a woman with a plan whilst poor old Jim just looked bewildered that a movement that he had been a part of his entire life had destroyed his government.

In modern times the Postman is clearly likeable but even Ed is better than that. Running a country is difficult and I want people much smarter than me to be doing it. They will still make mistakes and I in the cheap seats will continue to throw the odd egg but my number one concern is that they understand the problems even if I don't agree with their solutions. Likeability is a second or even third order consideration.

Agree. Sunny Jim was “likeable” but the perception was that he wasn’t in control. Maggie gave the impression of being in control, and having around her a group who supported her.

One of the great what-if’s is what if Callaghan had gone to the country in the Autumn of 1978. He’d probably have just about squeaked back and the Tories would have dumped Mrs T.
  • Options

I strongly suspect that OGH published this article solely to wind up the Tories here.

The basic problem is that comparing a Prime Minister to a Leader of the Opposition is "apples and oranges".

Even more basic than that is whether people are using "type 1" or "type 2" thinking. (Broadly speaking, intuition or reasoning.) An example might be: Blair came across as intuitively likeable - so much so that some people (on both ends of the political spectrum) concluded (type 2 thinking) that he must be a snake oil salesman. Of to-day's leaders, probably Farage comes closest to that profile. It's much easier to sustain in opposition than Government (ask Nick Clegg) - Blair's gift was to reproduce it in 2001.

The Tories won in 1979 despite Thatcher, who was heartily disliked within and beyond her Party until the Falklands War. After that she was adored by "type 1" thinkers who distrusted their reasoning powers (often because those powers were derided at home and school). There were and are a lot of people like that.

Your ad hominem fails on the point that there's no such thing as "type 1" thinkers, only type 1 thinking. . .
  • Options
    edited November 2014

felix said:

I don't think that follows. Even if there indigenous population is motivated to get of the sofa and apply for the jobs because the wages are substantially better than benefits, its no guarantee that they will get the job in the face of competition from immigrants who might offer better qualifications, better work ethic, less complaining, less workplace militancy, and less likelihood of changing job, in exchange for whatever the new going rate is. As an employer that's a good thing, as a government paying for the benefits bill, less so.

• Options
    DavidL said:

I have some problems with the Professors article (mainly that it contains a number of assertions but little evidence), but I think a number of posters are misunderstanding the stated hypothesis.

The claim is not that likeability itself is important, but that it is a good, and crucially, unbiased proxy for the values that are important. Simply asking voters who they think would make the best PM will be biased by the incumbency effect - which one assumes that the Prof has evidence is stronger in opinion polls than ballot boxes. As countless posters to this board have pointed out in the past the alternative question "Do you think x is doing well in their job as y" is confused because many partisan Tories may believe that Miliband is doing very well in his job, thank you very much, while many automatic Labour partisans will think the opposite.

The chief problem that one is trying to address is that current voting intention does not correlate as well as we would like with voting intention in the polling booths in six months time. Likeability perhaps does.
  • Options

No shit Sherlock. The coalition started life with a 160bn deficit that is now down to a 100bn deficit. BFD! The giant pulsating gorilla in the corner of British politics (of all developed economies' politics in fact) is that we have a grossly unsustainable deficit funded welfare state - and that at some point we won't be able to borrow for it.

Ozzy knows this and is pushing as hard as he can get away with to address the problem. See public sector headcounts fall. His challenge is that recovering GDP and falling unemployment are not generating much extra tax. Anyway - he's pointed in the right direction and is trying.

Labour? Away with the fairies. In deep deep denial. Ed even 'forgot' to mention the deficit in his big speech! If they scrape home next May thanks to UKIP eating into Dave's vote they will suffer a party-destroying crisis of competence in dealing with the deficit (or not). Markets will smell blood. PM Miliband will be overwhelmed by events. His own and his party's reputation trashed for a long time. In 6 months' time Ed is either going to lose or to face a drama he and his party are not equipped to handle. There's no happy ending for Miliband even if he wins the GE.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370

DavidL said:

Agree. Sunny Jim was “likeable” but the perception was that he wasn’t in control. Maggie gave the impression of being in control, and having around her a group who supported her.

One of the great what-if’s is what if Callaghan had gone to the country in the Autumn of 1978. He’d probably have just about squeaked back and the Tories would have dumped Mrs T.
    I don't think Jim would have won in 98 although I accept it would have been closer. The IMF nonsense was hugely damaging in the same way that Black Wednesday was for the Tories, damaging Labour's reputation for economic competence for a generation. Labour today should be much more worried about being so far behind on that measure.

I also think that if Mrs T had been dumped the tories would have come up with someone pretty similar. The intellectual underpinning for what became known as Thatcherism was deep and wide. I really don't see a modern equivalent. All the current mainstream parties are in one way Thatcher's children but that over emphasises and over personalises a movement that was not at all restricted to the UK and which changed the world bringing on the collapse of communism and the creation of the modern world. Like Blair a generation later Thatcher rode the zeitgeist brilliantly but her role in creating it is over stated.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

The chief problem that one is trying to address is that current voting intention does not correlate as well as we would like with voting intention in the polling booths in six months time. Likeability perhaps does.

Even then doubtful, at least in specific cases. Thatcher wasn't liked before the Falklands, was roundly beaten by Sunny Jim on most of the important measures on that 1979 opinion poll, and yet won the election. Likeability might be a facet, but it seems to come below peoples wallets, and the perception of being up the the job (with a program, in control).

This is why I think Ed is in more trouble than the polls suggest. He doesn't appear to have a program to speak of, and he doesn't appear to be in control of his own, or the countries destiny. Cam mostly projects the impression of paternalism and noblese oblige, which gives him the air of being prime-ministerial and in control, its the time when we get the red faced blustering and his mask slips that you start to understand why he isn't higher in the polls.

In the polling booth, with pencil poised, people see a flash of their candidate in their minds eye making his acceptance speech, and they either smile, and tick the box, or wince, and look for another box.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Your ad hominem fails on the point that there's no such thing as "type 1" thinkers, only type 1 thinking. . .
    How do you know?

• Options
    Patrick said:

Ozzy knows this and is pushing as hard as he can get away with to address the problem. See public sector headcounts fall. His challenge is that recovering GDP and falling unemployment are not generating much extra tax. Anyway - he's pointed in the right direction and is trying.

If he hadn't been quite so generous increasing the lower tax threshold to 10K he might have been doing better, as a result everyone pays quite a lot less tax, not just the low earners. I know he lowered the higher rate to balance it a bit, but all the standard rate tax payers got a cut in effect.

• Options
    Indigo said:

Patrick said:

If he hadn't been quite so generous increasing the lower tax threshold to 10K he might have been doing better, as a result everyone pays quite a lot less tax, not just the low earners. I know he lowered the higher rate to balance it a bit, but all the standard rate tax payers got a cut in effect.

I think that's a good thing as it tends to increase GDP growth. The problem is not with 'not enough tax' but with 'far too much spending'. That truth won't go away and whoever is in power is going to be forced to address it. For us righties the only consolation of losing in 2015 will be to sit back with popcorn and watch the markets destroy the Labour government.
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

How do you know?

I assume he has read Danny Kahneman's book ;-)

• Options
    edited November 2014

felix said:

I certainly do not take the view that benefit levels are currently at subsistence levels. Maybe there'd be more takers for low paid jobs if they were. I think that too many have been allowed for too long to create lives on benefits and thus almost become unemployable at any level. I would be deeply ashamed to live on non-contributory benefits - for many on the left they are a right.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Patrick said:

Indigo said:

Patrick said:

I think that's a good thing as it tends to increase GDP growth. The problem is not with 'not enough tax' but with 'far too much spending'. That truth won't go away and whoever is in power is going to be forced to address it. For us righties the only consolation of losing in 2015 will be to sit back with popcorn and watch the markets destroy the Labour government.
    Is there any justification for wages to rise any time soon - inflation could possibly turn negative next spring.
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

How do you know?

Type 2 thinking, an area you fail in.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited November 2014
    Patrick said:

No shit Sherlock. The coalition started life with a 160bn deficit that is now down to a 100bn deficit. BFD! The giant pulsating gorilla in the corner of British politics (of all developed economies' politics in fact) is that we have a grossly unsustainable deficit funded welfare state - and that at some point we won't be able to borrow for it.

Labour? Away with the fairies. In deep deep denial. Ed even 'forgot' to mention the deficit in his big speech! If they scrape home next May thanks to UKIP eating into Dave's vote they will suffer a party-destroying crisis of competence in dealing with the deficit (or not). Markets will smell blood. PM Miliband will be overwhelmed by events. His own and his party's reputation trashed for a long time. In 6 months' time Ed is either going to lose or to face a drama he and his party are not equipped to handle. There's no happy ending for Miliband even if he wins the GE.
    "Ozzy knows this and is pushing as hard as he can get away with to address the problem"

Patrick I normally agree with the tone of most of your posts, but on Osborne pushing the deficit ? Well it gave me a chuckle on a cold wet morning in Brum.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Indigo said:

Patrick said:

I dont disagree with you at all, I just mean that given he cant get cutting anything worth a damn past Nick Clegg, the man as much responsible for not being able to cut the deficit as anyone, he might have been a touch precipitous cutting so much tax from such a broad base.

• Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Swiss_Bob said:

How do you know?

Feel better now, do you?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

Indigo said:

Patrick said:

Is there any justification for wages to rise any time soon - inflation could possibly turn negative next spring.
    There is no single labour market but hundreds of them. Some skills are in short supply and will see price rises (wage hikes). Some jobs require no particualr skill and face the full force of gloablised equalisation (wage stagnation). The duty of a competent government is to help train people to have the skills the economy demands. This, for the young, demands a pragmatic approach to education. I admire Gove for his efforts here. Labour's 'education, education, education' left us with dumbing down, grade infaltion, PC nonsense, functionally illiterate and uncompetitive school leavers and a legacy of educational failure. That will kill a country that relies on brains not muscles for a living.
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

Swiss_Bob said:

How do you know?

Feel better now, do you?

:-)
  • Options

Patrick said:

"Ozzy knows this and is pushing as hard as he can get away with to address the problem"

Patrick I normally agree with the tone of most of your posts, but on Osborne pushing the deficit ? Well it gave me a chuckle on a cold wet morning in Brum.
    We probably agree more than you think sir. I would like to have seen Ozzy being alot braver on cuts. But....he's a politician. "I know exactly what I need to do - I just don't know how to get re-elected when I've done it'. The reason we haven't cut more is that the electorate only has so much appetite for it. I think Ozzy has done as much as he can get away with. I wanted more (as it appears do you). Maybe he has underestimated how much cutting the public will support. There's 10bn overseas aid that could go for starters - politically sensitive but electorally maybe not...
  • Options
    what score did reckless get???????????
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I don't think Jim would have won in 98 although I accept it would have been closer. The IMF nonsense was hugely damaging in the same way that Black Wednesday was for the Tories, damaging Labour's reputation for economic competence for a generation. Labour today should be much more worried about being so far behind on that measure.

I also think that if Mrs T had been dumped the tories would have come up with someone pretty similar. The intellectual underpinning for what became known as Thatcherism was deep and wide. I really don't see a modern equivalent. All the current mainstream parties are in one way Thatcher's children but that over emphasises and over personalises a movement that was not at all restricted to the UK and which changed the world bringing on the collapse of communism and the creation of the modern world. Like Blair a generation later Thatcher rode the zeitgeist brilliantly but her role in creating it is over stated.
    Keith Joseph, the "Mad Monk" was the intellectual behind "Thatcherism". Even less "likeable" than the lady herself!
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Wasn't Sunny Jim much better liked than Thatcher?
  • Options

what score did reckless get???????????

About 13% more than the Tories if the current polls are to be believed ;-)
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

I certainly do not take the view that benefit levels are currently at subsistence levels. Maybe there'd be more takers for low paid jobs if they were. I think that too many have been allowed for too long to create lives on benefits and thus almost become unemployable at any level. I would be deeply ashamed to live on non-contributory benefits - for many on the left they are a right.
    I see non-contributory benefits as a right that I enjoy as a result of living in a wealthy moral nation, *and* I would be deeply ashamed to have to rely on them - as indeed I was for six weeks in 2001.

For an over-25 the current rate of JSA is £72.40 per week. Is that not subsistence level?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Patrick said:

There's a cunning plan! Ed will trash the UK economy, precipitate a crisis of confidence on Sterling then go cap in hand to Brussels begging to join the Euro, all dressed up as economic brilliance to the UK public. If they voted Ed into power, they may be stupid enough to actually believe this.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Wasn't Sunny Jim much better liked than Thatcher?

Yes, and seen as more competent and capable of dealing with the unions according to the early 1979 poll I linked earlier... and then the unions went and blew his government up. Capable > Likeable despite what the good professor wants us to believe.

• Options
    Indigo said:

felix said:

I don't think that follows. Even if there indigenous population is motivated to get of the sofa and apply for the jobs because the wages are substantially better than benefits, its no guarantee that they will get the job in the face of competition from immigrants who might offer better qualifications, better work ethic, less complaining, less workplace militancy, and less likelihood of changing job, in exchange for whatever the new going rate is. As an employer that's a good thing, as a government paying for the benefits bill, less so.
    In what way does reducing benefit rates make British employers more likely to employ British employees?

It doesn't make unemployed British people more highly skilled - the argument has always been about incentives. In the case of incentives it's the differential that matters, unless you are prepared to take benefit levels to below subsistence rates so that people on benefits are physically suffering - and thus have a greater incentive to work.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

TGOHF said:

Patrick said:

Indigo said:

Patrick said:

There is no single labour market but hundreds of them. Some skills are in short supply and will see price rises (wage hikes). Some jobs require no particualr skill and face the full force of gloablised equalisation (wage stagnation). The duty of a competent government is to help train people to have the skills the economy demands. This, for the young, demands a pragmatic approach to education. I admire Gove for his efforts here. Labour's 'education, education, education' left us with dumbing down, grade infaltion, PC nonsense, functionally illiterate and uncompetitive school leavers and a legacy of educational failure. That will kill a country that relies on brains not muscles for a living.
    Countries that relied on muscles for a living died out years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmrh8HhNgyI

(There's an annoying advert at the beginning...)

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    This probably explains why Labour is ahead amongst women (at the mooment).
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "This is why I think Ed is in more trouble than the polls suggest."

It seems as though there are people at the top of the Labour party would do believe this as well -- hence Ed's troubles.

The Labour party could win with (i) a personable & competent leader, or (ii) a poor leader, but an efficient and supportive team around him/her.

If Ed can't get his team onside, it really is over. He may limp on till May, till the final bullet, but it is over.

My feeling is the Labour party has now to defenestrate him.

Even if the new leader is Burnham or Cooper or Balls, the letting of the blood of the sacrificial victim provides catharsis.

Provided the new team can coalesce supportively around Burnham or Cooper, then the Labour party will be better off.
This discussion has been closed.