Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Great Britain as a multi-party state

13»

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited May 2013
    TGOHF said:

The worst thing about the London olympics was the opening ceremony nhs section. By some margin.

FACT.

Missed the dance of the placemen pas de deux with David Nicholson and Cynthia Bower, and off stage chorus of dancing skeletons twisting a Staffordshire Knot around unmade beds.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Pulpstar said:

A question - If one were to aggregate say ten polls is there a case to be made for using the raw unweighted data from each and then using THAT over and above simply using the headline (weighted) outcomes of each poll ?

Well there's certainly a case for weighting by sample size, so a poll of 1000 is given twice the weight of one of 500. However, most polls are around 1000 anyhow, so in practice it's an insignificant issue.

I doubt there's a case for using raw data. Each house has it's own sampling methodology, with known biases, which are then "corrected" to produce the headline figure. It's best to take the presented figures at face value, perhaps then trying to estimate and control for any residual house bias. I've never heard of doing it differently.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    RodCrosby said:

@PBModerator

Thanks, I'll wait till he's back from hols...
    ETA?

I'm amazed by how long PB has been sitting on your startling discoveries. You deserve more than a PB thread , you merit national prominence.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    tim said:

@IpsosMORI: May Issues Index for @EconBritain: concern about #crime lowest in 20 years; #economy & #immigration top http://t.co/F4cPPb1U0k #ukpolitics

Daves stoking of irrational immigration fears still impacting on older Tory voters.

53% of Tories now citing it, 23% Labour 27% Lib Dems.
    With huge regional and age differences
    Younger people and people in London fairly immune to the rabble rousing, Dave is pushing Tories to UKiP very effectively.

What a sad scared pathetic country the ageing right want us to be

Why scared?

• Options
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

@IpsosMORI: May Issues Index for @EconBritain: concern about #crime lowest in 20 years; #economy & #immigration top http://t.co/F4cPPb1U0k #ukpolitics

Daves stoking of irrational immigration fears still impacting on older Tory voters.

Younger people and people in London fairly immune to the rabble rousing, Dave is pushing Tories to UKiP very effectively.

As someone now in the second half of his 70's, I despair for my contemporaries. We used to march against the bomb, we used to REALLY want something better.

It's tragic that the old and right wing are pitifully scared by this Cameron campaign.The country and party that gave us Churchill cowering in the suburbs afraid of Bulgarian electricians.
    And even more stupid of Cameron to be doing it thinking he can out UKIP UKIP

Who is pitifully scared? Any quotes?

People resenting their neighbourhood drastically changing in a short space of time or their wages being undercut isnt the same as being scared.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    If I'm a sample of the old I didn't "give you" Churchill. At 75+ I was about 18 months old when WWII started. One set of my grandparents "gave you" Churchill; my earliest political memory is of my (tribal Tory voting) mother worrying about doing what my (tribal Labour voting and serviceman) father wanted her to do, and voting Labour in 1945.
  • Options
    Lord help us. Derek Hatton trending on twitter after rant on BBC NW.

How did you manage that while posting on here @tim? ;)
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

tim said:

Why scared?

Don't ask me, I don't know why the old right wingers are so pathetic.

Since January when the genius Cameron started banging on about Europe and immigration the salience of immigration has risen from 21% to 34%, but it hasn't been across the board

Among Lib Dems and Labour voters it's gone from 22 to 27% and 18 to 23% respectively.
    Among Tories it's gone from 31% to 52%

So a 5% rise among Lib Dem and Labour, 22% among Tories.
    Who then bugger off and vote UKIP.

As a political strategy from Cameron this is on a par with Madonna arousing a gay male audience.

THEY ARE GOING TO GO ELSEWHERE YOU DOZY PILLOCK
    haha nice analogy
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    @Tim Are you still in denial about most of UKIP's most recent gains being at the expense of Labour? How else do you explain Labour's falling vote share?

What are you going to say if the dozy pillock gets back to cross over? We are getting close to MoE on that now.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Plato said:

OT but WOW

A man in Florida has reached a rare milestone after donating 100 gallons of blood in the last 35 years.

Harold Mendenhall, 84, started giving blood on July 7, 1977, according to the Palm Beach Post.

Last month, he reached 100 US gallons (83 imperial gallons or 666 pints).

Mr Mendenhall started giving blood when his wife, Frankie, was diagnosed with breast cancer.

When she died seven years later, Mr Mendenhall says he was lost.

He stopped by the blood bank on his way home from work and was soon donating up to 40 pints a year. http://news.sky.com/story/1097483/us-blood-donor-gives-100-gallons-in-35-years

I'm surprised he could donate weekly. The NHS have only just shortened men's interval between donations from 16 weeks to 12 weeks!

http://www.blood.co.uk/can-i-give-blood/male-donation-frequency-faqs/
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited May 2013
    @tim

Is the salience of any issue directly correlated with underlying data? Does education go up and down the agenda with GCSE results? Does healthcare as an issue become more important when cancer rates increase? I suppose the economy will do this, but I can't imagine any others do.

Of course not. These issues, like immigration, are complex things, and most people will be concerned about them most of the time. When an issue isn't on the political agenda it might not be the half a dozen or so that are on the top of your mind when a pollster asks you, but that doesn't mean you don't care about it.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Rod - the link within your link for 2015 GE forecasts (ie box C14) cannot be opened.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    OK Rod - it works now!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    @tim I will have more confidence in your post on immigration when you and your family move to multicultural/racial area,instead of been a part of the billy bragg society.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited May 2013
    @tim

How is that going bonkers over immigration? It's just a larger number saying they have a concern, it doesn't measure the strength of concern among such people. The reality is that David Cameron isn't the one putting this on the national agenda. It's got there because (a) Romanians and Bulgarians are about to get carte blanche to come here, (b) just a couple of years ago we saw riots in a number of cities that fully exposed the social breakdown in our society, to which immigration adds extra stress, and (c) when there is less money to go round, people start wondering about the wisdom of importing lots of poor people.

You are correct when you mention that many immigrants are high-earning and high-skilled, but there are an awful lot that are not, and people want to see that controlled. Right now, all three of our major parties think that the 40-50% of our immigration that comes from the EU should be uncontrolled. That is completely out of whack with public opinion. We shouldn't be surprised that when a party emerges that does represent so much of the public, it becomes a major issue. It would happen whatever Cameron said.
  • Options
    Just spotted this ~ only 487 of the 1003 sampled identified themselves as either Con, Lab or Libdem. Thats only 49% of the sample. Checking back through previous years (May figures unless otherwise specified) the percentages for the establishment parties are:

2008* 68%
    2009 58% (expenses scandal)
    2010 62%
    2011 59%
    2012 53%
    2013 49%

*First detail available is August 2008

Establishment parties no longer have a majority of the electorate backing them? Low turnout in 2015?
  • Options

Just spotted this ~ only 487 of the 1003 sampled identified themselves as either Con, Lab or Libdem. Thats only 49% of the sample. Checking back through previous years (May figures unless otherwise specified) the percentages for the establishment parties are:

2008* 68%
    2010 62%
    2011 59%
    2012 53%
    2013 49%

Establishment parties no longer have a majority of the electorate backing them? Low turnout in 2015?

That of course refers to the Ipsos Mori Issues Index

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive.aspx?contenttype=Issues+Facing+Britain+(Issues+Index)&date=2007&datefield=published
  • Options
    Derek Hatton as mentioned down thread
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjLqZ0BIqU
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

2008* 68%
    2010 62%
    2011 59%
    2012 53%
    2013 49%

Not necessarily: there could be a higher turnout because UKIP are attracting people who haven't voted for years.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    tim said:

@Socrates.

Look at the data, it's Tories who are older,more likely to be out of the labour market and the SE outside London in particular who have been aroused.
    Dave aroused them and they've gone off for a dance with that wag Nigel.

At the risk of getting involved in a chicken & egg argument, wasnt Dave reacting to the UKIP surge?

Bit of both seems most likely
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    New Thread
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

2008* 68%
    2010 62%
    2011 59%
    2012 53%
    2013 49%

Not necessarily: there could be a higher turnout because UKIP are attracting people who haven't voted for years.
    Indeed certainly part of it is the UKIP uprising. However given the general lack of enthusiasm for any of the major parties and remember this doesn't take into consideration likelihood to vote it could well also suggest unless something significant changes we could be looking at a low turnout.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband is a blancmange in a hurricane

Labour’s leader is weak, indecisive, lacks clarity, and has turned his party into a vacuum

Writes Michael Gove.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10089425/Ed-Miliband-is-a-blancmange-in-a-hurricane.html

• Options
    Of course Gordon cares immensely about people. I wonder if that pensioner is a UKIP supporter now?
This discussion has been closed.