Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON + LAB slump to record aggregate low in tonight’s Lord A

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON + LAB slump to record aggregate low in tonight’s Lord Ashcroft weekly phone poll

That LAB falls to a record low of 29% is remarkable in itself but what is startling is that in the same poll CON is on just 30% making a big 2 aggregate of just 59%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2014
    First? Luckily my connections in GCHQ keep me updated on new threads.

On topic: FPTP may become untenably undemocratic in 2015. It's advantages in creating stable majority governments are washing away.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    It might be a record low for Michael Ashcroft's polls but it is hardly a record. In 1981-2 when the SDP rose to its most popular, Tory + Labour was under 50% so quite a way to go yet.

However my prediction of Labour being 25-28% at the GE is starting to look good.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Ukip down 2 and LibDems up 3. Sounds good to me!

The LDs coming out for decriminalisation has got the freak vote. If they can get off the floor!
  • Options
    Using Ashcroft's tables I calculate both Con and Lab to be sub-30%

Con 29.73
    Lab 29.55
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited November 2014
    Good poll though for my gold sovereign bet with tim - that Labour will get under 34% of the UK-wide vote in May 2015... (struck when Labour were at 43%!)
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

The LDs coming out for decriminalisation has got the freak vote. If they can get off the floor!

Decriminalisation is a poor substitute for legalisation in my opinion. What we need to do is have a heavily regulated legal market, with the money saved being plunged into a public health campaign against drug use.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Anorak said:

On topic: FPTP may become untenably undemocratic in 2015. It's advantages in creating stable majority governments are washing away.

To be replaced by unstable majority governments?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    You should see what the traditional main parties in Ireland (FF / FG / Lab) have slumped to. They're lucky to poll 50% between them these days.
  • Options
    Neil said:

You should see what the traditional main parties in Ireland (FF / FG / Lab) have slumped to. They're lucky to poll 50% between them these days.

Who do you think will be the leading parties of right and left will be in 10 years time?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,984
    This headline next May is a Kipper dream
  • Options
    Regarding FPTP: India's BJP got only 31% of the vote but won 282 of 545 seats earlier this year.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Neil said:

Who do you think will be the leading parties of right and left will be in 10 years time?
    Could be any combination of the existing parties or new ones. Interestingly Sinn Fein could turn out to be a leading party of the left or of the right. It's that kind of country.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Socrates said:

Decriminalisation is a poor substitute for legalisation in my opinion. What we need to do is have a heavily regulated legal market, with the money saved being plunged into a public health campaign against drug use.
    It would be a step in the right direction if the possession of small quantities was a minor civil offense. It would also mean that there would be an official log of drug use which could help track trends and distributors.

I am glad you agree with one LD policy!
  • Options

I am glad you agree with one LD policy!

I'm glad the Lib Dems are catching up with the Greens ;)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    FPT: I don't agree with the poster who suggests Archbishop John Sentamu as a good head of the child abuse inquiry. First, he has exactly the same experience as Fiona Woolf in child protection i.e. none. And, second, the CoE itself has its own issues with child abuse by clergy and what senior clergy did or did not do. So there would be the same issues as arose with Butler-Sloss and Woolf.

The lady who wrote the Rotherham report would be my choice: we know she can ask the right questions and write hard-hitting reports. Whether she would want it is another question, of course.

In the end, we're going to have to accept that merely knowing someone or having shaken someone's hand does not mean that you're not going to be impartial, especially when you are only one of a panel.

If we carry on looking for the perfect person, with lots of experience in this field but without actually having met anyone at all, we'll end up getting no-one or waiting so long that what will already be a lengthy inquiry will end being pointless. Justice delayed and all that........
  • Options
    Does anyone know of a gay MP that voted against Same Sex Marriage?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Anorak said:

It already is untenably undemocratic. The most disproportional outcomes in the developed world... A majority of all votes wasted votes, electing no-one... Inability to guarantee the most popular party wins... MPs elected with 30% of the vote... One-party local fiefdoms in many of the regions and councils... Crashing turnouts...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Socrates FTP: I expect they're moderate on those issues too, but I wouldn't really know - all religions are a puzzle to me. Go to the meeting and ask them if you like. The ones I've met are unimpeachably mild.

On topic: the message, loud and clear, is that voters are fed up with all the major parties and willing to consider any alternative. As others have said, it's a phenomenon seem across much of the Western world, and we should be more concerned about it than just playing the "Ha, you're down even more than us" game. I think it to some extent reflects the weak position of Britain or any other European country in today's globalised world - any more or less responsible party finds it hard to promise amazing goodies with any conviction, which leaves it to the fringe parties to do it with gusto.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,891
    isam said:

Not a MP and didn't vote, but is Mr Coburn MEP any use?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/30/david-coburn-ukip-gay-mep_n_6060184.html

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,517
    Cyclefree said:

FPT: I don't agree with the poster who suggests Archbishop John Sentamu as a good head of the child abuse inquiry. First, he has exactly the same experience as Fiona Woolf in child protection i.e. none. And, second, the CoE itself has its own issues with child abuse by clergy and what senior clergy did or did not do. So there would be the same issues as arose with Butler-Sloss and Woolf.

The lady who wrote the Rotherham report would be my choice: we know she can ask the right questions and write hard-hitting reports. Whether she would want it is another question, of course.

In the end, we're going to have to accept that merely knowing someone or having shaken someone's hand does not mean that you're not going to be impartial, especially when you are only one of a panel.

If we carry on looking for the perfect person, with lots of experience in this field but without actually having met anyone at all, we'll end up getting no-one or waiting so long that what will already be a lengthy inquiry will end being pointless. Justice delayed and all that........

I think your suggestion is a very good one.

I would defend my choice of Sentamu by reminding you that criticism of Woolf was not based in her lack of experience in child protection.
  • Options
    isam said:

Not quite gay and not quite against but didnt Simon Hughes abstain (on 3rd reading)?

• Options

Socrates FTP: I expect they're moderate on those issues too, but I wouldn't really know - all religions are a puzzle to me. Go to the meeting and ask them if you like. The ones I've met are unimpeachably mild.

I think it's the sort of thing should be found out before we start giving them taxpayer money.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/10/30/david-coburn-ukip-gay-mep_n_6060184.html

Ha no!

I just heard that an MP, who I didn't know much about, was gay., then looked up his voting record and he seems quite "anti" in terms of equality... strange

Might not be true I suppose, and wouldn't want to out anyone
  • Options
    isam said:

Carnyx said:

isam said:

I just heard that an MP, who I didn't know much about, was gay., then looked up his voting record and he seems quite "anti" in terms of equality... strange

There is a long, long tradition of politicians who oppose gay rights turning out to be gay. There's even a website:

http://gayhomophobe.com/
  • Options
    F1: bit more on the race boycott that wasn't:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29888406
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I would defend my choice of Sentamu by reminding you that criticism of Woolf was not based in her lack of experience in child protection.
    It was one of the factors mentioned by one of the survivors' groups representatives, though I agree that the acquaintance with Lord Brittan - and how it was described - was probably more damaging. The trouble is it is quite likely that a number of Home Secretaries will need to be questioned so anyone with any social or business knowledge of any of them will therefore be ruled out on that basis.

I do think that we need to be careful about allowing survivors to make all the running here - and I type this knowing that I will likely be pilloried for saying this.

Not all evidence from survivors is necessarily reliable: remember that poor Lord MacAlpine was defamed on the basis of unreliable evidence from a victim.

And the point of such inquiries is not, primarily, to make survivors feel better or to provide them with comfort, though both may well be the outcome of such an inquiry, but to understand what happened and why in order to make sure, to the extent possible, that such things never happen again. We must also seek to avoid making unfounded accusations against people, who are innocent until proven guilty. It is precisely because child abuse is such a horrible crime that we need to be wary about assuming what we are seeking to prove. It's a very difficult balancing act. Emotion is not necessarily the most helpful guide to making the right decisions in such circumstances.
  • Options
    The last time Labour polled 29% in a national opinion poll appears to have been early June 2010 with Opinium.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Regarding FPTP: India's BJP got only 31% of the vote but won 282 of 545 seats earlier this year.

India is the only country in the world with an ENP greater than 4 that retains FPTP. It's a fragmented mess.

Another way of looking at it is that BJP was merely the largest component of a 12-party coalition which collectively obtained 38.5% of the vote, and 336 seats...

Vote totals are near-meaningless anyhow, since no parties contest all seats, and most only contest a small minority.
  • Options

On topic: the message, loud and clear, is that voters are fed up with all the major parties and willing to consider any alternative. As others have said, it's a phenomenon seem across much of the Western world, and we should be more concerned about it than just playing the "Ha, you're down even more than us" game. I think it to some extent reflects the weak position of Britain or any other European country in today's globalised world - any more or less responsible party finds it hard to promise amazing goodies with any conviction, which leaves it to the fringe parties to do it with gusto.

Not convinced this is the full picture. Another aspect potentially is that in a modern world where consumers are almost overwhelmed with choice these same people, as voters, as starting to express their true preference, rather than compromise on the main brands. So, for example, someone who is anti-austerity, concerned about ecological stuff and wants the railways back as a public service with no ifs and buts might plump for the Greens rather than compromise on Labour.

Whats odd is that people no longer seem to care, if the polls are to be believed, that they are voting in a FPTP system rather than PR.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Er, Mike, UKIP are actually DOWN 2% and the Conservatives, who are actually in the lead though you wouldn't believe it from your headline, are down 1%. The Tories are always at this sort of level on Ashcroft polls so that part is a non-story.
    Greens and LibDems are up NOT Ukip.

Anyway, although I'm delighted to see crossover on Lord Ashcroft, with the Tories regaining the lead, he's the most inaccurate pollster in Britain so taken with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

I think it's the sort of thing should be found out before we start giving them taxpayer money.

We could avoid that by not giving religious groups taxpayers' money. They should support themselves through membership subscriptions.
  • Options
    Now if we were reporting this poll as a comment on a thread before 2012 it would likely have been presented as:

Con 30%
    Lab 29%
    LD 10%
    Oth 31%

Is this the first time that the traditional 'others' has collectively outpolled all of the establishment parties individually?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

Tonight's match, Betfair:

Crystal Palace 2.12
    Sunderland 4
    Draw 3.5
  • Options

Whats odd is that people no longer seem to care, if the polls are to be believed, that they are voting in a FPTP system rather than PR.

They no longer fall for the old mantra "You must vote for us - to keep the other lot out!"

On the contrary. Now the strategic voter thinks "How can I best screw the pair of you?"

And the answer is obvious. Let's make a hung parliament...
  • Options

Er, Mike, UKIP are actually DOWN 2% and the Conservatives, who are actually in the lead though you wouldn't believe it from your headline, are down 1%. The Tories are always at this sort of level on Ashcroft polls so that part is a non-story.

Anyway, although I'm delighted to see crossover on Lord Ashcroft, with the Tories regaining the lead, he's the most inaccurate pollster in Britain so taken with a pinch of salt.

UKIP are still up by 13 points compared to GE2010 - that's the surge Mike is talking about in his thread header.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    isam said:

Ben Bradshaw?
  • Options
    Ah crossover has occured, but it is now cold comfort.

Baxtering C32, Lab 25, Libdem 10, UKIP 15 gives a Tory Majority of 2. Just saying.
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited November 2014
    The government foisting a mayor on "Greater Manchester" (a term, as someone who has roots in the area, I soundly reject) is one of the most shamelessly partisan policies I have ever seen by a government.

Make no mistake, the Conservatives care only about three things: helping the rich, punishing the poor and staying in power.

It's clear at this point that anyone who is voting for this Conservative has no morals whatsoever.
  • Options
    So in summary a plague on all of us. We could be facing Tory and Labour arguing over the other not having a mandate with both desperate to be above 25% at this rate.

I'm a Labour activist, I want us to win, but I'm also a demofrat and long-standing critic of FPTP. Look at the polls and someone who supports FPTP defend the fact that regardless of how crap red and blue do one or the other are guaranteed to be the government. No wonder people don't vote.
  • Options

Socrates said:

We could avoid that by not giving religious groups taxpayers' money. They should support themselves through membership subscriptions.
    In principle I agree with you. But given the amount of Saudi money washing around which is supporting some very illiberal Muslim groups I think that it would be sensible to try and redress the balance a bit. There are some, relatively speaking, moderate voices in the Muslim world and we should aim to support those rather than allow the extremists to grow stronger because of the funding they have.

• Options

So in summary a plague on all of us. We could be facing Tory and Labour arguing over the other not having a mandate with both desperate to be above 25% at this rate.

I'm a Labour activist, I want us to win, but I'm also a demofrat and long-standing critic of FPTP. Look at the polls and someone who supports FPTP defend the fact that regardless of how crap red and blue do one or the other are guaranteed to be the government. No wonder people don't vote.

But surely one or other of them would be the dominant partner in a government whatever the voting system if they are polling c 30% or more?
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

The government foisting a mayor on "Greater Manchester" (a term, as someone who has roots in the area, I soundly reject) is one of the most shamelessly partisan policies I have ever seen by a government.

Make no mistake, the Conservatives care only about three things: helping the rich, punishing the poor and staying in power.

It's clear at this point that anyone who is voting for this Conservative has no morals whatsoever.

I think it is a brilliant idea. The area already has a Combined Authority and this will lead to clearer leadership and better accountability. Well done George Osborne
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

So all those Labour councils and councillors that have backed the plan are either partisan Tories or just stupid ?
  • Options

Con 29.73
    Lab 29.55

Interesting - should be 30-30 headline figures. Dreadful for both parties
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Appalling poll for Lab, Con and LD.

I hope they do something about it.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2014

Given 'Others' now collectively out poll each of the establishment parties individually and represent almost 1 in 3 (31% of) voters when on the 21st October 2010 only 9% of voters chose Others (a 22% rise in 4 years all at the expense of Con+Lab) the polling would suggest that the header of this article in this case is perfectly accurate

• Options

People don't vote not because of the voting system but because the party system has so corrupted our democratic process.

It is still legally and constitutionally the case that we do not vote for a party or a Prime Minister. We vote for an individual representative for our constituency.

If you really want to fix the system (by which I mean make it better rather than change it to suit one side or another) then we should find ways to radically reduce the power of the parties - truly open primaries, recall of MPs and a massive curtailment of the power of the whips. Make every vote in Parliament a free vote and make it illegal to impose party will on those votes.

Then you will start to get a system that voters can trust and respect as they will know that the MPs have to be working for them rather than for the party or their own interests.

Don't change the voting system, just make the one we have work in the way it was originally intended.
  • Options
    While this is possibly one of the most exciting polls since Brutus asked the Senate what they thought about Julius Caeser, I can't help but hear a small voice that murmurs "Angus Reid... Angus Reid...".

The last three ICM polls (over the last three months) have two-party shares of 66%, 68% and 69%, while the last three Populus polls (over the last week or so) have two-party shares of 69%, 68% and 70%.

These are two long-established polling firms, using very different methodologies, that in ICM's case has been well-tested in a number of general elections. In particular, if anyone wants to pore over the ICM and Ashcroft data tables to tell us why these two phone polls differ I would be much obliged.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited November 2014
    "What this does to GE2015 is hard to predict."

Given where we are in electoral cycle its look worse for Lab than Con, IMO.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

People don't vote not because of the voting system but because the party system has so corrupted our democratic process.

It is still legally and constitutionally the case that we do not vote for a party or a Prime Minister. We vote for an individual representative for our constituency.

If you really want to fix the system (by which I mean make it better rather than change it to suit one side or another) then we should find ways to radically reduce the power of the parties - truly open primaries, recall of MPs and a massive curtailment of the power of the whips. Make every vote in Parliament a free vote and make it illegal to impose party will on those votes.

Then you will start to get a system that voters can trust and respect as they will know that the MPs have to be working for them rather than for the party or their own interests.

Don't change the voting system, just make the one we have work in the way it was originally intended.
    Parties are generally good things. Government is about making decisions. Parties help decisions get made and manifestos delivered.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

While this is possibly one of the most exciting polls since Brutus asked the Senate what they thought about Julius Caeser, I can't help but hear a small voice that murmurs "Angus Reid... Angus Reid...".

The last three ICM polls (over the last three months) have two-party shares of 66%, 68% and 69%, while the last three Populus polls (over the last week or so) have two-party shares of 69%, 68% and 70%.

These are two long-established polling firms, using very different methodologies, that in ICM's case has been well-tested in a number of general elections. In particular, if anyone wants to pore over the ICM and Ashcroft data tables to tell us why these two phone polls differ I would be much obliged.

I almost worry their methodology is too refined - we don't see enough true outliers and big MOE swings with the main pollsters - they seem to have some high level filters to create more stability in the numbers than their sample sizes should generate alone.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Oliver_PB said:

delightfully batshit post.

do you chew carpets ?
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

So all those Labour councils and councillors that have backed the plan are either partisan Tories or just stupid ?
    Well quite. It has been agreed with all ten councils in Manchester. It is a very new - and somewhat idiotic - idea that we have to have referendums whenever we change local government structures. London was expanded massively in the 1960s without a plebiscite. The same applies to the 1974 reforms.
  • Options
    I think it's difficult to abolish the party system when we have as many representatives on so many different bodies. But yes the party system has corrupted the democratic process because our parties have been corrupted by an establishment trying to subdue the democratic process.

If we had a Tory party that was Conservative rather than radical neo-liberal, a Labour party that represented Labour, Liberals holding Liberal as opposed to radical neo-Liberal views AND then the newer/nationalist/fringe parties then people would still be engaged.

Its because having transformed the Conservatives into radicals, then copy pasting the ideology into Labour and the LibDems we now have 3 parties very close on most things but riven as members object to the policy putsch and voters disinterested in all three.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

This is the first poll for years with all three under 30%

There is a rounding error in the headline numbers, it would seem.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Good poll though for my gold sovereign bet with tim - that Labour will get under 34% of the UK-wide vote in May 2015... (struck when Labour were at 43%!)

Hope you've got his details as his user profile doesn't appear to be on the system. If you go back to March/April 2013 his posts have vanished although they sometimes appear in quotes as part of other peoples comments.
  • Options

Baxtering C32, Lab 25, Libdem 10, UKIP 15 gives a Tory Majority of 2. Just saying.

But that assumes UKIP win no seats at all and lose Clacton and Rochester should they win it
  • Options
    O dear Labour on 35 again and in the lead with tonight's Populus poll! Sighs of relief all round I suspect.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited November 2014

When I last looked at this back in the summer, ICM had a lot lower number of Con to UKIP switchers than Ashcroft and their spiral of silence adjustment helps the Con&Lab (and LD) share.

The last Ipsos-Mori poll, which is an established phone pollster had the combined C&L score at 63% but prior to that, their combined C&L score was consistently closer to ICM and Populus.

ComRes phone polls has been trending towards the Ashcroft way.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,501
    Oliver_PB said:

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    1) I can't see any circumstance in which an elected mayor of GM will not be the Labour Party candidate.
    2) It's an administrative measure that may or may not lead to better administration. How will this help the rich or punish the poor?
    3) It's an administrative measure. How can you be so morally affronted, unless you are instinctively morally affronted by anything a Conservative does?

I'm local, and generally Conservative, and generally ambivalent about this, because of point 1) above and also because here in Trafford we have an authority which is to my taste (low spending, good schools) and I don't particularly want this to be countermanded by a high-spending GM-wide authority; and also because in situations like these the suburbs always seem to end up subsidising the centre. I can see the pros, but on balance I'm anti. But I simply can't fathom how you can be quite so angry about it.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Jonathan said:

Yes indeed though the trends for Tory / Labour are in opposite directions of course and have been for a while now. There is little comfort for Labour in this and combined with Ed's personal rock bottom level in the polls plus being disliked by women more than Cameron they must be besides themselves by now. Labour really must be getting seriously concerned but little now they can do about it. The good ship Labourtanic has sailed and their is only time for the executive committee to simply arrange the deck chairs and identify the best lifeboat.

The Liverpudlian offy wine farmer must also be having palpitations and multiple kittens as well
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Emily Ashton ‏@elashton 1h1 hour ago
    Tory MP Justin Tomlinson writes to Met calling for investigation into Sadiq Khan apparently using a mobile phone behind the wheel.

Did he go to the same driving school as a former LD Cabinet Minister?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Such as? How do you pander to Green, SNP and UKIP simultaneously?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Cyclefree said:

Yes it was (among, obviously, other things).

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Parties are generally good things. Government is about making decisions. Parties help decisions get made and manifestos delivered.
    But the particular parties we happen to have at the moment might not be good things, or the best things we can hope to have

• Options
    edited November 2014

IIRC these two use very similar methodologies (ICM used to do/ still does? the fieldwork for Populus polls IIRC) and only differ in the way they address spiral of silence and past vote I believe. This Pb article refers to some extent.......

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2010/04/07/does-populus-put-icm-in-context/
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    People talking about changing the voting system are merely tinkering at the edges. It is time for representative democracy to die in a fire. It was once a necessary evil forced on us by travel times and in this day and age we should be aiming for direct democracy.

Each policy for consideration should also be costed and if necessary that amount gets added to income tax and ring fenced for that policy. That way you avoid the california problem of voting for ever more services but not voting for tax increases to pay for them.

An example might be "Free school meals for every child" Cost x billion which will add 0.5% to the rate of basic tax. A person earning average wage would therefore pay £32 extra a year in tax towards this policy.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

O dear Labour on 35 again and in the lead with tonight's Populus poll! Sighs of relief all round I suspect.

Indeed and shows how volatile the situation is. As always on PB remember the trend is your friend.
  • Options

IIRC these two use very similar methodologies (ICM used to do/ still does? the fieldwork for Populus polls IIRC) and only differ in the way they address spiral of silence and past vote I believe. This Pb article refers to some extent.......
    Populus are now an online pollster, so they do their own fieldwork as it were.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2014

Oliver_PB said:

delightfully batshit post.

do you chew carpets ?
    Mr Carswell, it's nice to see him on PB and taking a break from his twitter tory tirade.
  • Options

You have Greens, Nats and Others on 18%. Say 5% for the SNP, 1% for Plaid Cymru, 1% for the others and you would have the Greens on 11%. TSE isn't going to win his bet with Neil. You have to add at least 5% to the four parties Baxter lets you twiddle with.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It's a pretty rare poll that has the Lib Dems on 10% these days. Not so bad for them.
  • Options

Con 29.73
    Lab 29.55

Interesting - should be 30-30 headline figures. Dreadful for both parties
    The tables have figures before the spiral of silence adjustment for don't knows and refusers - it's that adjustment which puts the Cons and Lib Dems up a bit and reduces Labour below 29.5 as a result.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,199

I'm a UKIP voter but I'll defend FPTP even if it means the party I vote for doesn't do as well as they would under a proportional system.

Yes, it would be embarrassing for Labour or the Tories to end up in power with a record low share of the vote, but that might make them think carefully about what they do in power.

UKIP might not win many seats next year. But I think they could come a strong second in a lot of traditionally safe Labour seats. What could happen is that the number of seats that are realistically up for grabs at the following election could increase dramatically, which would be a good thing.

The big question mark is the SNP. It would be very interesting if they did hold the balance of power. I know they've said they won't go into a coalition, but if they were offered a 10% (or higher) increase in Scotland's budget, they may reconsider.
  • Options

OK so who does Lord Ashcroft use for his polls then because I thought that used to be Populus as well?
  • Options

OK so who does Lord Ashcroft use for his polls then because I thought that used to be Populus as well?
    I believe Lord Ashcroft uses Populus to do the fieldwork, however a different methodological approach is used post fieldwork than Populus used to do for their phone polls in the past.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

This is the first poll for years with all three under 30%

There is a rounding error in the headline numbers, it would seem.
    When you look at the tables it says this:
    THIS TABLE DOES NOT INCLUDE ADJUSTMENT FOR DON'T KNOW/REFUSERS
    Capitals are in the original. The final published headline figures include this adjustment, and so are not directly comparable with the figures that Sunil calculated from the table.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm a UKIP voter but I'll defend FPTP even if it means the party I vote for doesn't do as well as they would under a proportional system.

FPTP works fine for a two party system. For a four party, going on five party, system, it just doesn't reflect the views of the public. Either you need a first round to select the top two parties, or you need something like STV.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

I almost worry their methodology is too refined - we don't see enough true outliers and big MOE swings with the main pollsters - they seem to have some high level filters to create more stability in the numbers than their sample sizes should generate alone.
    I agree. ICM in particular should be listing UKIP and Green as standard. It's not 1985 any more.
  • Options
    Regarding the surge in the "other three", YouGov in their weekly poll for the Sunday Times have asked a question very similar to one they asked three weeks ago that looks at who respondents would consider voting for. I find this fascinating because it shows where the parties have the chance of gaining support, but also where they risk losing it.

To summarise:

The Conservatives have increased from 35% to 37%. The increase would appear to be driven by "don't knows".

Labour have dropped from 39% to 38%, with the components essentially mirroring those of the Tories. 29% of current Lib Dems would consider voting Labour.

The Liberal Democrats have raised their 'ceiling' from 17% last time to 19% now, driven by potential switchers from Labour (up 3 to 14%). These appear to be 2010 Labour and not 2010 Lib Dems that switched to Labour subsequently. The problem is that they also have more potential to lose votes than any other party.

UKIP have dropped from 27% to 23%, with its pool of potential support, relative to actual support, now basically the same as for the two biggest parties.

The Greens have jumped from 19% to 24%, the best performance of any of the five main parties. Their potential support remains about 4 times their current voting intention, even though the latter has increased.

It would seem that voters aren't going through some collective making-up-of-minds, if anything they are becoming increasingly open to changing their minds.

http://numbercruncheruk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/would-consider-voting-for-question.html
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If the only way Governments can get those decisions past Parliament is by a combination of threats and bribery - which basically sums up the current whips system - then maybe those decisions should not be made in the first place.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

Labour on 35? Which poll is that?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

tlg86 said:

FPTP works fine for a two party system. For a four party, going on five party, system, it just doesn't reflect the views of the public. Either you need a first round to select the top two parties, or you need something like STV.
    FPTP even works fine in a series of two-party systems within a larger area, for example, where there are Con-Lab, Con-LD, Lab-SNP and so on, each having the top two take 80%+ of the constituency totals where they're in contention. But when there are substantial minorities across the whole country, that becomes a problem.

I've been an advocate for a while now of open list PR, with constituencies of about five MPs (more than that becomes unwieldly; fewer MPs and it becomes too disproportional.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Populus figures:
    CON 34%, LAB 35%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 13%. So UKIP slipping to near LibDem level and the two main parties around 70%, or near 80% if you include the LibDems. Nothing wrong with that in a first past the post democracy.

Having praised Mike on a well-written thread this morning this one, rushed out on the back of Lord Ashcroft, is beginning to look rather weak.
  • Options
    I supported FPTP when I was a Tory -it would seem rather hypocritical to attack it now I'm a Kipper. It does keep out marginal parties, perhaps unfairly, but the evidence appears to show that UKIP, the SNP, and perhaps the Greens (though I'm not convinced) are becoming mainstream parties able to win seats. That would seem to demonstrate it works.
  • Options
    I take it we only talk about American elections when Obama is going to win?
  • Options

Labour on 35? Which poll is that?
    Is the Populus from this morning
  • Options

I supported FPTP when I was a Tory -it would seem rather hypocritical to attack it now I'm a Kipper. It does keep out marginal parties, perhaps unfairly, but the evidence appears to show that UKIP, the SNP, and perhaps the Greens (though I'm not convinced) are becoming mainstream parties able to win seats. That would seem to demonstrate it works.

Will you still think that when you win 3 seats on 15% (fill in your own figures but don't get carried away).
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Moses_ said:

Indeed and shows how volatile the situation is. As always on PB remember the trend is your friend.
    Yes. You can begin to see why the BBC are wise not to comment on individual polls. It just makes people look silly.

The trend is something like this:

Conservatives holding their own low 30's
    Labour: continuing downward drift low 30's
    LibDems: rising towards double figures
    UKIP: slipping post Clacton roughly mid teens at best
    Green: rising quite sharply half LibDem figure
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Yes. You can begin to see why the BBC are wise not to comment on individual polls. It just makes people look silly.

LibDems: rising
    UKIP: slipping post Clacton
    Green: rising quite sharply
    Does that widgit people used to talk about still exist. A block feature would save me a lot of scanning time.
  • Options

Will you still think that when you win 3 seats on 15% (fill in your own figures but don't get carried away).
    I think I will, yes.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Populus figures:
    CON 34%, LAB 35%, LDEM 9%, UKIP 13%. So UKIP slipping to near LibDem level and the two main parties around 70%, or near 80% if you include the LibDems. Nothing wrong with that in a first past the post democracy.

Having praised Mike on a well-written thread this morning this one, rushed out on the back of Lord Ashcroft, is beginning to look rather weak.

There was a Populus poll mentioned on PB this morning - is this yet another one?

I suspect real voting intentions are half way between Ashcroft and this Populus ie Tories and Lab around 32%.
  • Options
    If you want to see how to analyse opinion polls look no further than Anthony Wells.

Here he is on tonight's two polls:
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9046
  • Options

Well I certainly will. The principle is more important than the effect on any individual party even if it is one I happen to agree with or support.
  • Options
    Too much microanalysis going on here. Time to see the forest from the trees??
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Socrates said:

I see this site has some anti-religion bigots.

Do I really need to point out that the religious pay taxes and vote?

Apparently yes.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Now if we were reporting this poll as a comment on a thread before 2012 it would likely have been presented as:

Con 30%
    Lab 29%
    LD 10%
    Oth 31%

Is this the first time that the traditional 'others' has collectively outpolled all of the establishment parties individually?

I believe 'others' won the 2013 County Council Elections.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Moses_ said:

LibDems: rising
    UKIP: slipping post Clacton
    Green: rising quite sharply
    Does that widgit people used to talk about still exist. A block feature would save me a lot of scanning time.
    You need to stand in the playground with your fingers in your ears and shout 'nah nah nana nah.'
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Populus figures:

If there were such a thing as a 'Poll Troll' then I think you would come closest to fitting the bill.

The Populus poll is no change really and as such tells us very little. The equivalent poll last week was Con 34% Lab 36% LD 8% UKIP 13%. So a 1 point shift from Lab to LD. In fact since the end of the conference season none of the parties vote shares in Populus have changed by more than two points Con 33%-35% Lab 34%-36% LD 8%-10% UKIP 13%-15%. If anything I would suggest that it suffers from being overweighted (much as I suspect Yougov has been at times as well) to compensate for the shortcomings of being an online poll (and therefore not being a truly random sample).
  • Options

Jonathan said:

If the only way Governments can get those decisions past Parliament is by a combination of threats and bribery - which basically sums up the current whips system - then maybe those decisions should not be made in the first place.

It doesn't really sum up the whips system. The great majority of decisions win the support of MPs without the need for 'threats and bribery' (there wouldn't be enough trinkets to go round if bribery was a regular feature).

If you took the party system and whipping away, you'd almost certainly end up with a worse and more overt system of bribes, mostly in the form of pork-barrel politics but also in kind benefits to MPs. Why you think it would be less likely to happen when the MPs to be persuaded have less instinctive loyalty to the government and less of a sense of corporate mission, I don't know.

That said, on the rare occasions the whips do have to resort to threats and bribery, you're right that it would invariably be better if they lost the vote. A wise government would listen to its rebellious backbenchers at times like this; it takes a lot for most MPs to rebel so if they do, there's probably something in it.
This discussion has been closed.