Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Night hawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2013
    'BUT I'm not sure about that "multiply by -1 for Labour" and how it impacts for changing previous signs.'

I think we've done it right. The signs stay the same for PM[t-1] and PM[t-2], and we'd only have to multiply PM[t] by -1 if Cameron was Labour...

Original Paper
    http://primarymodel.com/Press_files/PM_Pend_BJPS06.PDF
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Interesting story from Leeds where the council has avoided the Bedroom Tax (it would have cost it more to rehouse) simply by reclassifying spare bedrooms as 'Non Specific Rooms'. Another watertight piece of policymaking by the government: not only does the tax increase public spending, it can also be circumnavigated simply by calling a spade a shovel. Oh.
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/29/leeds-council-bedroom-tax-solution
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750

carl said:

carl said:

carl said:

@TSE

Are you enjoying your guest editorship a little too much?

Whilst the polling / media narrative could raise concerns for Labour / Ed Miliband, is that really a big thing at the moment?

Even a Tory like yourself must admit that it's not.

It's TSE's site right now. He has an editorial agenda just as Mike does. Endless Ed is Crap threads may be tedious to some, but others find them very reassuring. And when you get down to it, Ed is pretty crap and a real drag on Labour. Enjoy yourself by seeing how many ways there are to discuss the same subject over a relatively short period of time.

Fair enough. Though I could just read Dan Hodges columns for that sort of analysis, and I'd rather stick pins in my eyes!

In what way do you think Ed is a "real drag" on Labour by the way? Would a realistic alternative, say Cooper, have them in the high 40s in the polls do you think?

I think with another leader Labour would be doing better.
    Who?

Of those who stood in 2010 I imagine only Abbott would be doing worse, Ed's brother and Andy Burnham would be doing better. I'd say that Cooper would also be doing better. But Ed's going nowhere. Labour are stuck with him.

I do not think Ed M irredemable, he is too much of a blank cipher to have totally written himself off yet. He does need to demonstrate a break from the financial profligacy of the Last Labour government, and he needs to do it soon.

The best way would be to move Ed Balls away from anything to do with money, and to promise to stick to coalition deficit reduction targets, even if this involves tax rises instead of spending cuts.

It was a key part of New Labours success in 97 to establish economic credibility, and that needs to be replicated.
    The last thing Labour should do is validate the Tory argument that our problems are due to Government "profligacy".

• Options
    edited May 2013
    'Lebo and Norpeths model is geared to using data in the three months before the election'

I agree, but ...

What FUN!!!

Cameron's doing alright... at the moment...
  • Options

carl said:

carl said:

@TSE

Whilst the polling / media narrative could raise concerns for Labour / Ed Miliband, is that really a big thing at the moment?

It's TSE's site right now. He has an editorial agenda just as Mike does. Endless Ed is Crap threads may be tedious to some, but others find them very reassuring. And when you get down to it, Ed is pretty crap and a real drag on Labour. Enjoy yourself by seeing how many ways there are to discuss the same subject over a relatively short period of time.

Fair enough. Though I could just read Dan Hodges columns for that sort of analysis, and I'd rather stick pins in my eyes!

In what way do you think Ed is a "real drag" on Labour by the way? Would a realistic alternative, say Cooper, have them in the high 40s in the polls do you think?

He does not have the look or feel of a credible leader. He comes across very poorly on television and radio. His communication skills generally are very poor; he fails to connect. I think he has some interesting and important ideas, but if he can't get them across to voters he is a waste of time. I think with another leader Labour would be doing better. Ed should be leading a policy unit and doing his thing away from public view. But he is in charge and that is not going to change. Those of us hoping for an end to Tory rule had better hope Ed's many weak points are cancelled out by the general toxicity of the Tory brand.

It is still too early: the voters aren't listening (to either party - they have long since stopped listening to the Tories, if they ever were). If Labour start releasing policy proposals now they simply take the pressure off the government.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    RodCrosby said:

So... the news is...

Lebo & Norpoth's model predicts the Tories will win the Popular Vote in 2015 by 7.1%!

No change since 2010!

Rod, isn't that extremely similar to what the Local Elections model is also showing (that line of best fit you posted a couple of days ago)?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    VoteUK forum thread on foreign languages:

http://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/2746/languages?page=1#
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

So... the news is...

Lebo & Norpoth's model predicts the Tories will win the Popular Vote in 2015 by 7.1%!

No change since 2010!

Rod, isn't that extremely similar to what the Local Elections model is also showing (that line of best fit you posted a couple of days ago)?
    Correct! 7.63% Tory lead.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited May 2013
    Shall I do a thread on this tomorrow?

MSPs: online abuse of Chris Hoy following independence comments is 'shameful'

Online abuse that greeted Olympic cyclist Sir Chris Hoy's comments on independence has been criticised by politicians.

The SNP has joined Liberal Democrat leader Willie Rennie and Scotland Office Minister David Mundell in condemning the comments.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live yesterday, Sir Chris he said does not want to enter the "hornet's nest" campaign.

He said he is a proud Scot who is proud to have competed for Britain but said Scotland lacks adequate training facilities.

Independence would weaken the remaining British team and pose a challenge for Scotland's new national athletes, he said.

"It's not to say it's impossible but it would just be a different challenge," said Sir Chris.

While many online commentators praised Sir Chris's tone and urged politicians and journalists to respect his plea to keep him out of the debate, other comments were seen as abusive.

Sir Chris was called "a traitor", an "Uncle Tom", a "typical Scots Tory naysayer", a "public schoolboy" and a member of "an English dominated national sports program which concentrates on advancing the English cause" on several online forums.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/msps-online-abuse-of-chris-hoy-following-independence-comments-is-shameful.1369843346
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    carl said:

carl said:

carl said:

carl said:

@TSE

Who?

Of those who stood in 2010 I imagine only Abbott would be doing worse, Ed's brother and Andy Burnham would be doing better. I'd say that Cooper would also be doing better. But Ed's going nowhere. Labour are stuck with him.

I do not think Ed M irredemable, he is too much of a blank cipher to have totally written himself off yet. He does need to demonstrate a break from the financial profligacy of the Last Labour government, and he needs to do it soon.

The best way would be to move Ed Balls away from anything to do with money, and to promise to stick to coalition deficit reduction targets, even if this involves tax rises instead of spending cuts.

It was a key part of New Labours success in 97 to establish economic credibility, and that needs to be replicated.
    The last thing Labour should do is validate the Tory argument that our problems are due to Government "profligacy".

I would not expect Labour to use the term profligacy, but they will need to find a form of words to credibly announce an end to deficit spending. The books could be as easily balanced with tax rises as spending cuts, but they do need to be balanced.

Either do this or face a Hollande like downward spiral. France without the sun or food is not a good prospect.
  • Options
    So, how long will EdM last?

Knowing Labour, two elections...?

LOOOOOOOL!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RodCrosby said:

MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

So... the news is...

No change since 2010!

It doesn't seem credible, and hard to see another coalition. A minority govt would be interesting but unstable, and the financial markets hate instability.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    talking heads on Sky dissing EdM now...

'Voters trust Miliband less than Brown' - The Times
  • Options
    What are the odds on EdM resigning?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    RodCrosby said:

What odds do you want?

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    RodCrosby said:

Rod - out of interest why did you say your prediction was for a Con 3% lead?

I appreciate no model will be perfect. But if you think the Local elections model is a good predictor then surely what the model says should be the central forecast - ie it's just as likely the actual result will be higher or lower.

Now we have this other model as well giving a 7% lead what is your own latest forecast?

If still 3%, why?
  • Options
    Neil said:

RodCrosby said:

What odds do you want?

Dunno.

Tease me...
  • Options
    Come on, Rod, I asked first! If you think there's much chance I'm sure we can make a pb bet on him resigning before the GE.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Who needs elections when it has already been prognosticated by the mathematical model ;)
  • Options
    MikeL said:

RodCrosby said:

Rod - out of interest why did you say your prediction was for a Con 3% lead?

I appreciate no model will be perfect. But if you think the Local elections model is a good predictor then surely what the model says should be the central forecast - ie it's just as likely the actual result will be higher or lower.

Now we have this other model as well giving a 7% lead what is your own latest forecast?

If still 3%, why?
    Gut feeling, I suppose. A guestimate. As you say no model is perfect (so forget about the equally higher or lower argument), and we're still two years away from the election.

But one thing is clear. Miliband is a dud, who could still be transmuted into PM by the alchemy of FPTP...
  • Options

carl said:

carl said:

carl said:

carl said:

@TSE

Who?

I would not expect Labour to use the term profligacy, but they will need to find a form of words to credibly announce an end to deficit spending. The books could be as easily balanced with tax rises as spending cuts, but they do need to be balanced.

Either do this or face a Hollande like downward spiral. France without the sun or food is not a good prospect.
    They can't take the sunshine.
  • Options
    @ Neil

3/1 ?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    There's a good chance Gordon will have a satisfactory year either in 2013 or 2014, or maybe both.
  • Options
    @Rod

Sure - usual sum or do you want to lower it to reflect it's more of an outside shot than we usually bet on? (I'm happy with either.)
  • Options
    Neil said:

@Rod

Sure - usual sum or do you want to lower it to reflect it's more of an outside shot than we usually bet on? (I'm happy with either.)

Thanks, but I'm only teasing... for the moment.

Sentimental Labour will never decapitate its leader, and the Dork probably really believes he can "win"...

And who's to say he's totally wrong? Brown was only about five seats away from clinging on via "a rainbow" in 2010...

FPTP - Labour have a good chance unless they're totally slaughtered at the polls...
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,849
    Surely there's a big difference between being two years from a GE in this cycle, and being two years from a GE in the past, in that we now have fixed term parliaments ?
    Previously we didn't know we were 2 years from an election.
    I reckon this disadvantages the incumbent i.e. Cameron because he doesn't have the option of cutting and running in 2014.
  • Options
    @No_Offence_Alan

Good point. Brown fumbled his chance in 2007. (Lebo & Norpoth think he would have won)

Cameron doesn't have that luxury...
  • Options
    Maybe UKIP ought to be targeting the Wyre Forest constituency in Worcestershire. They almost won the most votes there a few weeks ago:

Wyre Forest, 2013 local elections:

Con: 6,007 (25.4%)
    UKIP: 5,578 (23.6%)
    Lab: 4,917 (20.8%)
    Health Concern: 4,670 (19.7%)
    Liberal: 1,233 (5.2%)
    Ind: 580 (2.5%)
    Green: 565 (2.4%)
    LD: 39 (0.2%)
    Others: 69 (0.3%)

Total: 23,658
    Electorate: 77,906
    Turnout: 30.4%
  • Options
    @AndyJS

Good spot. The seat has a history of surprises...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There wasn't exactly a wide choice for voters in the Oswestry West division on Shropshire council: either Tory or BNP:

http://new.shropshire.gov.uk/elections-2013/unitary/results-full-text-list/

The Tories won by 79% to 21%.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) The impending catastrophe, caused by a century of addiction to debt and welfare we can't afford
    http://pro.moneyweek.com/myk-eob/LMYKP529/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    New thread
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.