Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lib Dems fall into 5th place in this week’s Ashcroft Na

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Lib Dems fall into 5th place in this week’s Ashcroft National phone poll

This 3% jump in a single week is a remarkable move by the Greens who now seem to be taking support from across the board but most particularly LAB and the LDs which could conceivably help the Tories in the battlegrounds.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited October 2014
    Looks like a handsome majority for Labour with the new 30% strategy they have adopted.

Hard for any party (except Greens) to be content with this poll.

And 1st
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Well the most important thing to note is WHERE the green votes are. Also how many GE candidates will they run ?
  • Options
    philiph said:

Looks like a handsome majority for Labour with the new 30% strategy they have adopted.

And 1st

Why wouldn't UKIP be happy with it ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Cheers, Mr. T.

Very good news for the Greens. More bad news to the Lib Dems, but they must be used to it, like Carthage after a year of being besieged in the Third Punic War.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

18% isn't enough to be useful in an election. A nuisance yes, but no more than that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

The 24% that UKIP got in the prompted poll on Sat, will probably be used to make the drop to other polls look steeper
  • Options
    By the way is a Scotland specific poll coming up ?

If so - depending on who the pollster is (I'll need to check specific methodology etc (In particular if it is ICM with the reallocation of DK to previous party I won't offer the bet...)) I may be prepared to offer £20 at evens that the SNP are ahead of Labour.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    LA poll today LAB 334 CON 257 LD 28 Other 31
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

LA poll today LAB 334 CON 257 LD 28 Other 31

EICIPM

Av lead this week 2.5% (2 polls)
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Quite. I think UKIP will be perfectly "happy" with EIGHTEEN points in a national poll, a few months before a General Election. I can remember when many on here were predicting they'd collapse to sub-5% come May 2015.

Very hard to see that happening now.

UKIP were 18 in Lord A's first poll (May 2013).

• Options
    edited October 2014
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

18% isn't enough to be useful in an election. A nuisance yes, but no more than that.
    Mike Smithson's on twitter showing how a repeat of this poll in the GE gets UKIP zero seats

Conservative and Labour wouldn't lose any seats to UKIP on 28% & 31%, and presumably UKIP lose Clacton

#analysis
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Quite. I think UKIP will be perfectly "happy" with EIGHTEEN points in a national poll, a few months before a General Election. I can remember when many on here were predicting they'd collapse to sub-5% come May 2015.

The May 2013 elections were a good result for UKIP, 22% NEV.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

They have oscillated around 14-18 mostly...

UKIP - Lord Ashcroft

• Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Agree it is hard to see them plummeting to single figures. There is no logical reason why they should.

By the time the election is called it would be good for them to be polling in the 20s. During the campaign there is a strong chance that they will suffer a polling setback (assuming some of the respondents are protest responses), but don't expect them to fall back by any more than 4 or 5 points from the peak they hit in polls during the first quarter of 2015.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    If anyone believes Labour on 31% will get a majority they´re living in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Wrong. If the Lib Dems poll 18% then they will hold on to 40+ seats and could well still hold the balance of power.

The seat calculators assume that UKIP's increase in vote share is sort of uniform across the country, which makes Argyll and Bute fall before Castle Point !

The UKIP vote will be far more evenly spread than what will be an incredibly lumpy Lib Dem vote but the assumption of a leavened even rise without paying attention to the fact that UKIP has significant strongholds particularly in the east of the country is what makes the seat calculators a piss poor guide for UKIP in 2015. The bookies odds on seats will be a far better guide.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Why does Mike keep feeding data into an Electoral Calculus that is obviously useless?
    It must be some urge to feed his fantasies; it must be he thinks the world hasn't changed. He's in for a big surprise then.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    MikeK said:

Why does Mike keep feeding data into an Electoral Calculus that is obviously useless?
    It must be some urge to feed his fantasies; it must be he thinks the world hasn't changed. He's in for a big surprise then.

Have we reached a "tipping point" ?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

It works for Lib-Con-LD battlegrounds and should still work, but it is broken for UKIP.
  • Options
    @Patrick

Have sent you the PP article you wanted.
  • Options
    Unfortunately for the Conservatives, UKIP's power base is in some of their previously safest seats.

But Labour will have to put serious effort into holding Rotherham and quite possibly a fair few other northern working class "safe" constituencies at the GE for the first time in forever.
  • Options
    We are heading towards the GE that killed FPTP.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    SeanT said:

philiph said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Agree it is hard to see them plummeting to single figures. There is no logical reason why they should.

By the time the election is called it would be good for them to be polling in the 20s. During the campaign there is a strong chance that they will suffer a polling setback (assuming some of the respondents are protest responses), but don't expect them to fall back by any more than 4 or 5 points from the peak they hit in polls during the first quarter of 2015.
    I predicted a year ago they'd get 10-15%. I stand by that. It will probably be enough to get them two or three seats in south east England. Not quite the huge breakthrough they want, but still significant in terms of votes, as it makes them much more tempting Coalition partners for Tories.

If they get more votes than the LDs that will be particularly interesting.
    The number I'm curious to see next May is the LD vs UKIP councillors elected.

(I've bet on UKIP >15%, so I hope you're wrong on vote share!)

• Options
    Itajai said:

If anyone believes Labour on 31% will get a majority they´re living in cloud cuckoo land.

How about Conservatives on 28% ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

philiph said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

I predicted a year ago they'd get 10-15%. I stand by that. It will probably be enough to get them two or three seats in south east England. Not quite the huge breakthrough they want, but still significant in terms of votes, as it makes them much more tempting Coalition partners for Tories.

If they get more votes than the LDs that will be particularly interesting.

Because there are so many duffer party leaders (4 or 5 I suspect) I can now see them getting over 15%.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    SeanT said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

There was a very detailed study by some Antipodean analysts which said that the electoral tipping point for UKIP was 15%. Frustratingly I can't find it now (I will try later).

It made a lot of sense to me: basically their thesis was that 1. UKIP's support is not so evenly spread, and 2. even FPTP has to yield some seats when a new party reaches that level of support

If UKIP get 18% at the GE I'd expect them to get 5-10 seats, maybe quite a few more. That could be enough to make them players in a very hung parliament (which looks increasingly likely with these latest polls)
    I refer you to this article:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/Analysis_UKIP.html

At about 16% UKIP gains seats if you use the tables as a guide.
  • Options

Nope - when either Dave continues in office or Ed reaches No 10 on a sub 34% vote they'll be VERY happy to keep it.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Andy Burnham seems very quiet given he's making a bid for Labour leadership. His website is pretty ghastly too. Surely not a platform for this campaign against Ed.

Yvette's website isn't much better.

Tristram - awful too - he seems to be dumbing down, and so very effectively.

Chuka though.. Almost pizza-selling-worthy!

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Itajai said:

We got many polls with the Tories on 28%.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Lol. Yellow Tories reaping what they've sown. What a shame.
  • Options
    For the Greens to progress they have to reduce the Lib Dems to a small enough number of MPs that they can no longer claim to be a "clear major party". That level is probably under 20 MPs. But is that the Greens strategy and do they have the drive to achieve it?
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Who carries out Ashcroft's polls?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Itajai said:

Sub-Gordon looking a possibility. The obvious crumb of comfort will be the ongoing Tory woes.

If Labour have a sustained spell behind, there must be a chance of mass desertion.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856
    I suspect that conventional seat calculations go out the window if the Conservatives and Labour win c.30% each, with UKIP in the high teens.

UKIP on 18% means a rise of 15%, compared to 2010. But, it would not be 15% per seat. It would be more like 1-2% in central Scotland, and perhaps 3-4% in Inner London. In prosperous parts of the Home Counties, I'd expect a rise of 5-10% per seat.

But, that would leave some seats in which the UKIP share was rising by 20-30%.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Itajai said:

If they could there would be howls of outrage in the BBC and the leftist media.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited October 2014
    Itajai said:

Can you explain to me your model that backs that assertion?

National aggregate vote shares are irrelevant when it comes to seat totals. What matters are the outcomes in 650 separate seats in elections fought under first past the post. The art for a party is to have the strength in seats where they are in contention. Elsewhere zero % shares have no impact on the overall outcome.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014
    Itajai said:

Or Baxter World.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I suspect that conventional seat calculations go out the window if the Conservatives and Labour win c.30% each, with UKIP in the high teens.

UKIP on 18% means a rise of 15%, compared to 2010. But, it would not be 15% per seat. It would be more like 1-2% in central Scotland, and perhaps 3-4% in Inner London. In prosperous parts of the Home Counties, I'd expect a rise of 5-10% per seat.

Prosperous parts of the home counties will see a massive UKIP rise, particularly with HS2 being an issue in some areas.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

18 or below is what the Libdems were polling in four of the last five general elections at this stage and in the other they were polling only a couple of points higher. Now granted UKIP are starting from scratch but given their vote is clearly not evenly spread everything suggests if it can retain these levels it is likely going to win some seats. For a party that was on 3% and zero seats in 2010 that is massive!

Furthermore, except for 2005 the third party's vote has grown over the last few months of the government by a few points so there is nothing to think that the additional exposure that the election will give might not assist UKIP as it previously has in recent elections.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

There was a very detailed study by some Antipodean analysts which said that the electoral tipping point for UKIP was 15%. Frustratingly I can't find it now (I will try later).

It made a lot of sense to me: basically their thesis was that 1. UKIP's support is not so evenly spread, and 2. even FPTP has to yield some seats when a new party reaches that level of support

If UKIP get 18% at the GE I'd expect them to get 5-10 seats, maybe quite a few more. That could be enough to make them players in a very hung parliament (which looks increasingly likely with these latest polls)
    Yes, the bog standard middle of the road prediction for UKIP seats at about this level of polling is five or six seats.

It's what Farage says, it's what the betting markets say and it kind of makes sense given the 'lumpy' spread of their support.

In fact you can pretty much name the seats - Clacton, Rochester, South Thanet, Thurrock, Eastleigh, Greater Grimsby, maybe a few others. They're probably a buy at 5 seats, a sell at 10.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

It works for Lib-Con-LD battlegrounds and should still work, but it is broken for UKIP.
    Can no one see that if the calculus is broken for UKIP, it's obviously broken for the rest. I mean than even 12 seats captured by UKIP alters the whole composition of the EC.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Many pundits predicted the PMs new flirtation with kippery would do him no good at all.

This poll suggests they might be right.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

What would be the highest vote share in Clacton that you think UKIP could get and loose the seat? (apart from 49%)
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Hugh said:

No one, he just comes up with vaguely plausible numbers and publishes them.
  • Options
    MS - Baxter and conventional UNS models are all bunkum at the moment. They were out in 2010 (and 2005) yet no one called them to book.

As we all know we are all in uncharted waters. This may or may not change by May, but if both Tories and Labour are on 30% neither will get a majority.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

The Liberals/LibDems were on comparable percentages for ages. Ten or twenty seats won't buy you much, let alone the two or three UKIP are likely to get.
  • Options

SeanT said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Yes, the bog standard middle of the road prediction for UKIP seats at about this level of polling is five or six seats.

It's what Farage says, it's what the betting markets say and it kind of makes sense given the 'lumpy' spread of their support.

In fact you can pretty much name the seats - Clacton, Rochester, South Thanet, Thurrock, Eastleigh, Greater Grimsby, maybe a few others. They're probably a buy at 5 seats, a sell at 10.

Eastleigh ahead of Boston & Skegness ?

Errm
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

SeanT said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Without Diane James as the candidate, UKIP will not win Eastleigh. Very sad she's chosen not to stand.

Separately: this is scary - http://gizmodo.com/report-chinese-authorities-are-now-targeting-icloud-us-1648391065
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Errm
    UKIP won't win Eastleigh!

• Options

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Errm

Yes - I'm just pondering how PtP's "6" include Eastleigh but not Boston.
  • Options

For the Greens to progress they have to reduce the Lib Dems to a small enough number of MPs that they can no longer claim to be a "clear major party". That level is probably under 20 MPs. But is that the Greens strategy and do they have the drive to achieve it?

Their two top targets are both LD seats: Norwich South, and Bristol West.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/18/green-party-general-election-12-seats-england

But Labour and the Conservatives will both be targeting LD seats, so its not all or even mostly down to the Greens.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

What is remarkable is how calmly we are all discussing the very real possibility that, in the next GE:

1. a party unrepresented in Westminster (til last week) might get nearly 20% of the vote
    2. the two main parties might not get 60% of the vote between them, indeed they might both fall below 30%
    3. the Liberal Democrats might come FIFTH in overall votes

One of these results would be seismic, added together they would be as close as you get to a revolution in British politics.

A political earthquake?
  • Options
    @Pulpstar

"The bookies odds on seats will be a far better guide."

It's easily the best guide at the moment.

UKIP are favorites in four seats, I believe, plus Thurrock where they should be favorites.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

I'd sell on the Greens vote share, it's not certain they'll even stand in every seat, and given that their ground forces are likely to be limited in significant areas of the country. So they may not convert their polling into votes that well.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    MikeK said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeK said:

Can no one see that if the calculus is broken for UKIP, it's obviously broken for the rest. I mean than even 12 seats captured by UKIP alters the whole composition of the EC.
    You're right of course. Destruction for the LDs may actually deliver their most cherished goal.

• Options
    Hugh said:

Populus I believe.

• Options
    philiph said:

Sean_F said:

What would be the highest vote share in Clacton that you think UKIP could get and loose the seat? (apart from 49%)
    40%, I think.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

There are some constituency polls in which UKIP rises by more that 20%:
    Bognor Regis, Folkstone&Hythe, Great Grimsby, Walsall North, Amber Valley, Great Yarmouth, Thanet South, Thurrock, Sherwood, Cambourne&Redruth, Clacton, Boston&Skegness, Thanet North, Rotherham, St. Austell&Newquay, Corby.

Likewise they get a 5% or less rise in :
    Manchester Withington, Hampstead&Kilburn, Cambridge, Hornsey&Wood green, Brentford&Isleworth

So the pattern is there.

• Options
    My new prediction for UKIP seats gained in GE2015::

Wait for it! Wait for it! Wait for it! Wait for it!!!!!

48 is the number of seats UKIP are likely to win............................
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

By the way is a Scotland specific poll coming up ?

If so - depending on who the pollster is (I'll need to check specific methodology etc (In particular if it is ICM with the reallocation of DK to previous party I won't offer the bet...)) I may be prepared to offer £20 at evens that the SNP are ahead of Labour.

I think it's certain that SNP will be polling above Labour, just not by the margins some febrile posters are suggesting. The last Survation Scotland poll I found at a quick search had SNP 38, Labour 36. I think it will be relatively similar this time round.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

What is remarkable is how calmly we are all discussing the very real possibility that, in the next GE:

1. a party unrepresented in Westminster (til last week) might get nearly 20% of the vote
    2. the two main parties might not get 60% of the vote between them, indeed they might both fall below 30%

One of these results would be seismic, added together they would be as close as you get to a revolution in British politics.

When you consider how many of the so called 'Pillars of Society have been scandalised in recent years ~ House Of Lords, House Of Commons, Police (repeatedly), NHS, Media, BBC, Local Government" etc etc its hardly surprising that so many people are rejecting the establishment parties
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Itajai said:

It depends of course on how Others (including LD and UKIP) do.

It's perfectly possible for Labour to have a majority on 31%. It's even possible for the Tories on 28% too, though not very likely.

The betting snip must surely be NOM though, still about 10/11.

• Options
    Martin Day springs to mind on threads like this
  • Options
    Mr. 2014, indeed.

It may also help to explain the popularity of the monarchy.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    It seems the higher UKIP goes the higher the Greens go. Not sure why that should be other than maybe the rise of UKIP is causing voters to think about "Others" in ways they wouldn't have done in the past?
  • Options
    edited October 2014

SeanT said:

When you consider how many of the so called 'Pillars of Society have been scandalised in recent years ~ House Of Lords, House Of Commons, Police (repeatedly), NHS, Media, BBC, Local Government" etc etc its hardly surprising that so many people are rejecting the establishment parties
    To vote for a party whose MEP's are more likely to go to prison than any other. Or be found in a massage parlour.
  • Options

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/18/green-party-general-election-12-seats-england

But Labour and the Conservatives will both be targeting LD seats, so its not all or even mostly down to the Greens.
    Norwich South is possible (maybe even likely), but Bristol West will either go Red or stay Yellow.
  • Options
    isam said:

SeanT said:

A political earthquake?
    Hmm. Be interesting where you rank it. Off the top of my head the big inter war ones probably more dramatic. Fall of the Liberals, national government formation. Before that, the rise of the Irish, but I can't remember how sudden it was. Of course the alliance comparisons have been done to near death.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

And to think, the major parties could have had AV, a system which would have consolidated the two-party system and they chose to chuck it away.

Didn't the No-to-AV chairman proudly declare that electoral reform had been settled for a generation? after the result of the AV referendum
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    SeanT said:

The one constant though is that through all the craziness Labour forms the next government because the right wing vote is split.

• Options
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Thanks, Speedy, but as regards UKIP seats you simply have to DYOR, as PfP would say.

You need to quite literally walk through the form constituency by constituency. For example, I think Cleethorpes would fall to UKIP at or around a national 18% figure, although on UNS or your Australian model it probably isn't in the top 100 targets.

• Options

SeanT said:

To vote for a party who's MEP's are more likely to go to prison than any other. Or be found in a massage parlour.
    Its almost like it's the night before the election and the election campaign has been completed - oh wait.

The great big buckets of manure have yet to be poured- and has nobody learned anything from the Indyref - the quiet grannies of England have yet to speak - they certainly don't talk to yougov.

• Options

SeanT said:

Iirc people's trust in MPs is at historically normal (low) levels.
    L
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Martin Day springs to mind on threads like this

Ah yes. What happened to dear old Martin Day? We were quite chummy at one time.
  • Options
    Indeed, Mr. Gin.

Which will only keep us in the EU and see us sink further into the ravenous pit of Brussels.

Mr. Alistair, a voting system should not be approved or disapproved of based on narrow-minded partisan advantage.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

And 1st

Errm

Yes - I'm just pondering how PtP's "6" include Eastleigh but not Boston.
    Pilot error. I meant Boston.

Sorry.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

It seems the higher UKIP goes the higher the Greens go. Not sure why that should be other than maybe the rise of UKIP is causing voters to think about "Others" in ways they wouldn't have done in the past?

A Spectator piece said the Greens had a very active London campaign in May 2014.

"...[LD] Party figures who worked on the local elections in London have written to the national party to complain that they felt under ‘Green siege’"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/10/how-the-greens-are-spooking-labour-and-the-lib-dems/
  • Options

SeanT said:

To vote for a party whose MEP's are more likely to go to prison than any other. Or be found in a massage parlour.
    Minor Party status

Those that would rather see PM Cameron

LDs
    NI
    SNP

Those that would rather see PM Miliband

Greens
    UKIP

• Options
    Due to its fieldwork ending yesterday, unfortunately we have to include Ashcroft with next week's ELBOW. I have received word that Lord Sunil is unconvinced that we need to include the Greens as a separate entry In ELBOW, unless more polls have them out-performing the LDs.

But for those wot missed it, here's data for the week ending 18th October:

UKIP are UP yet again, in this week's ELBOW (Electoral Leader-Board Of the Week). Total of 12 polls with field-work end-dates during the week-ending 18th October, including both parts of the "double ComRes". Total weighted samples: 13,550.

Lab 33.6% (-0.5)
    Con 31.2% (-0.3)
    UKIP 17.1% (+0.9)
    LD 7.9% (-0.2)

Lab lead 2.4% (-0.1)

Changes since the first ELBOW from 17th August:

Lab -2.5%
    Con -2.0%
    UKIP +4.0%
    LD -0.8%

Lab lead -0.6%
  • Options
    The interesting thing about the rise of the Greens is just how quiet they are on here. When UKIP was 6% and beginning their ascent, we had at least a couple (and probably more like five or six) regular UKIP posters on here. Yet we still have the same solitary Green on here. Personally, I'm not that convinced by the Green surge. More than anything else, I think they are disillusioned Labour and LibDem voters, and I would expect them to subside ahead of the GE next year... 3% is my Green call...
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Con + Lab (Populus) = 70% (+4 on GE2010)
    Con + Lab (Ashcroft) = 59% (-7 on GE2010)

The Populus weighting for UKIP and the Greens is quite severe, so it looks as though the general election will be a good methodological test. While I expect the Greens not to seriously challenge the Lib Dems in national vote share, I also find it hard to see Labour and Conservatives putting on vote share in aggregate. They are both losing too many votes to UKIP.
  • Options
    Paging Neil.

That 50% early payment discount offer is still available on our Greens outpolling the Lib Dems bet.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A political earthquake?
    Hmm. Be interesting where you rank it. Off the top of my head the big inter war ones probably more dramatic. Fall of the Liberals, national government formation. Before that, the rise of the Irish, but I can't remember how sudden it was. Of course the alliance comparisons have been done to near death.
    Oh I was only kidding
  • Options
    @RCS1000
    Website advertising. You might want to look into 'content click'. The Spectator are using them on their website, one Conservative Party advert I clicked on was distributed by them (but that might have been be the Speccy putting all their web advertising through them).

http://www.contentclick.co.uk/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The interesting thing about the rise of the Greens is just how quiet they are on here. When UKIP was 6% and beginning their ascent, we had at least a couple (and probably more like five or six) regular UKIP posters on here. Yet we still have the same solitary Green on here. Personally, I'm not that convinced by the Green surge. More than anything else, I think they are disillusioned Labour and LibDem voters, and I would expect them to subside ahead of the GE next year... 3% is my Green call...

Well thats as good a way of testing the political weather as any @rcs1000.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Norwich South is possible (maybe even likely), but Bristol West will either go Red or stay Yellow.
    The problem with the Greens is that they are a bunch nasty authoritarians who want to control our lives using the "environment" as a pretext.

• Options

Con + Lab (Populus) = 70% (+4 on GE2010)
    Con + Lab (Ashcroft) = 59% (-7 on GE2010)

The Populus weighting for UKIP and the Greens is quite severe, so it looks as though the general election will be a good methodological test. While I expect the Greens not to seriously challenge the Lib Dems in national vote share, I also find it hard to see Labour and Conservatives putting on vote share in aggregate. They are both losing too many votes to UKIP.

My guess is that half the Green's share will return to the LibDems (although not in Norfolk South, and possibly not in Bristol West), and there'll be a small return of Labour voters (maybe 1-2%) to the LibDems, to give them 12-13% at the GE. And this will land them 25 to 28 seats.

My assumption is that UKIP will end up around 15%, and will get between 4 and 10 seats. I do not think Mark Reckless will hold Rochester, even if he wins the by-election.

This means the 'window' for NOC is slightly smaller than in 2010, and that it is slightly more likely we will see a majority government than most people think. However, I think it is the Conservatives who will end up - by a super small margin - with the majority: perhaps 10 seats.

But we'll see. All to play for :-)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2014
    Norwich south for the greens @ 6/1 looks like value.

My only concern is the candidate is a little bit too *out there* with some of her comments...

“Anarchists I used to know used to say - ‘we don’t just want more crumbs from the table, we want the whole bloody bakery’. Yes we do, But now the task is even bigger because we have to stop the bakery from being burnt down in the process of trying to acquire a fair share of it,” she said.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/lesley_grahame_selected_to_fight_norwich_south_for_the_greens_1_3724042

She'd make an interesting MP, for sure.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

I'd sell on the Greens vote share, it's not certain they'll even stand in every seat, and given that their ground forces are likely to be limited in significant areas of the country. So they may not convert their polling into votes that well.

Might be worth buying Green seats though - 2 or more at 8/1 with WHill or 6/1 with Shadsy.

Starting to look ok.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Pulpstar said:

Itajai said:

It depends of course on how Others (including LD and UKIP) do.

It's perfectly possible for Labour to have a majority on 31%. It's even possible for the Tories on 28% too, though not very likely.

The betting snip must surely be NOM though, still about 10/11.

+£213.55 NOM
    +£234.74 Lab
    -£689.71 Con is my state of play in that market.

Which I work out to be green to the extent of around £30 or so right now.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The problem with the Greens is that they are a bunch nasty authoritarians who want to control our lives using the "environment" as a pretext.

If you substitute EU for environment, you could say that about the LDs.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

rcs1000 said:

Well thats as good a way of testing the political weather as any @rcs1000.
    I think it tells you something about the size of the activist base. UKIP has a lot of very vocal and active supporters, for example. The Green Party seems to be the repository for the "I don't like the lot of them, and who doesn't want to say they like the environment?" vote. (And my father is right: the Greens are very nastily authoritarian, and they are one of the few people I would vote tactically against.)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If you substitute EU for environment, you could say that about the LDs.
    I don't think you could.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Hugh said:

Populus I believe.

If they do, they aren't credited on the tables:

[Note: PDF file]
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ANP-141020-Full-data-tables.pdf
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

For how many elections will it stagger on in a zombie-like state?

Even if it's dead someone still has to be prepared to take a shovel to its head. I doubt that there will be a Common's majority for electoral reform after the next election.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    This calypso thing currently doing the rounds. It doesn't have anything to do with the official kippers does it? It's a anti kipper spoof right?
  • Options
    Is 16% a record for the "Others"? I think it might be a record for the year 2014 so far.
  • Options
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

A political earthquake?
    Oh I was only kidding
    You set me off on political history nerdity.
  • Options
    saddened said:

This calypso thing currently doing the rounds. It doesn't have anything to do with the official kippers does it? It's a anti kipper spoof right?

It's the real thing.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/20/ukip-calypso-song-number-one-nigel-farage-mike-read
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014

GIN1138 said:

A Spectator piece said the Greens had a very active London campaign in May 2014.

"...[LD] Party figures who worked on the local elections in London have written to the national party to complain that they felt under ‘Green siege’"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/10/how-the-greens-are-spooking-labour-and-the-lib-dems/
    Green regional splits from the poll (all caveats acknowledged)

South East 6%
    Midlands 6%
    Scotland 6%
    North 10%
    South West & Wales 15%

2010 Voter Switch to Greens (all caveats acknowledged)

1% of the Tory vote (representative of c 107,000 voters)
    3% of the 2010 Labour vote ( representative of c 260,000 voters)
    16% of the 2010 Libdem vote (representative of c 1.1 million voters)

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ANP-141020-Full-data-tables.pdf
This discussion has been closed.