Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Ed Miliband wasn’t polling so badly then what’ll happen

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Ed Miliband wasn’t polling so badly then what’ll happen on May 7th would be a lot clearer

Confused? So is everyone it appears
Headline points from @LordAshcroft poll for Sun on Sunday
http://t.co/hSHlMNLqaH pic.twitter.com/5GlgwI3ogd

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    First!
  • Options
    That "who would you prefer to win?" question may be the one to watch.

Another thought: if there are far more localised campaigns, particularly in what used to be safe seats and in places where there is an incumbent Lib Dem, election expenses will be pored over more than usual. When was the last time an elected MP was disqualified for overspending on their campaign?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

To add to Ed’s woes – “Now Ed Miliband has the 'women problem’ as a PM”

After last night’s mixed polling results, his 35% strategy is looking a bit shaky too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11156102/Now-Ed-Miliband-has-the-women-problem-as-a-PM.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    Ah! When will the first pamphlet or newsletter with the dodgy bar graphs be spotted?
  • Options

Morning all.

After last night’s mixed polling results, his 35% strategy is looking a bit shaky too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11156102/Now-Ed-Miliband-has-the-women-problem-as-a-PM.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

" The Labour leader is now half as popular, as a potential premier, as Gordon Brown, his predecessor, was when the same question was asked in 2009. "

It seems likely that EdM will underperform Brown and maybe even Foot. Labour will be closer to 25% than 35% in the GE unless they find a way of ridding themselves of the dud.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good Morning.
    UK troops 'training' Kurdish forces in Iraq, says Ministry of Defence.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29586437

That'll please the Turks.
    I wonder if our troops will meet any Israeli instructors helping the Kurds?

O what a tangled web we weave.............
  • Options

Morning all.

" The Labour leader is now half as popular, as a potential premier, as Gordon Brown, his predecessor, was when the same question was asked in 2009. "

It seems likely that EdM will underperform Brown and maybe even Foot. Labour will be closer to 25% than 35% in the GE unless they find a way of ridding themselves of the dud.
    Con 35, Lab 25, UKIP 23. SNP more votes than the Lib Dems in all seats.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Morning all.

Labour needs a postman, quick!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Edin_Rokz said:

Ah! When will the first pamphlet or newsletter with the dodgy bar graphs be spotted?

Does anybody know whether it is illegal to publish completely made up statistics during an election campaign? I know that people have been prosecuted for telling lies about opponents. Personally I'm ok with getting facts out there via bar graphs, even if they can be confusing e.g. who did best in this area in the locals, last GE or Euros could well be three different parties.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Morning all.

Would make no difference, except possibly to the SNP/LD prediction.

• Options
    The tombstone of the Conservative Party will read:

LISBON REFERENDUM GAY MARRIAGE
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MikeK said:

Good Morning.

I would rather support the Kurds than the Turks. The Kurds are the only ones apart from Assad that are putting up a fight against ISIS, standing up for a secular state and giving the Assyrian Christian and Yazudi minorities refuge.

Turkeys attitude to ISIS is very dangerous, and could cause modern Turkey to disintegrate with a renewed Kurdish rebellion internally, a ISIS ruled hinterland, and a Europe leaning West all fighting it out over the bones.
  • Options

Eh? How do you work that out?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Edin_Rokz said:

Does anybody know whether it is illegal to publish completely made up statistics during an election campaign? I know that people have been prosecuted for telling lies about opponents. Personally I'm ok with getting facts out there via bar graphs, even if they can be confusing e.g. who did best in this area in the locals, last GE or Euros could well be three different parties.
    There’s a difference between dodgy bar graphs etc and completely made up ones. In the last part of my working life I spent some time reviewing “statistics” supplied by the less reputable end of the pharmaceutical industry and it’s was extremely rare to find any where the basis could not be supported.. Distorted perhaps, or incomplete, but that was as far as it went.
    I would think that to produce stats based on untruth is fraud.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    It seems that all the balls are up in the air, and that the electorate could end up with a PM that few appear to want.

Here is how the averaged YouGov charts look up to press.

Since 01 September 2013...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/3jehidcz4r4994k/YouGov since 01 Sept 2013(3).jpg#

Since the 2010 General Election...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/7l9jepa8rxiye1s/YouGov since 2010 GE.jpg#
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited October 2014

MikeK said:

Good Morning.

I would rather support the Kurds than the Turks. The Kurds are the only ones apart from Assad that are putting up a fight against ISIS, standing up for a secular state and giving the Assyrian Christian and Yazudi minorities refuge.

Turkeys attitude to ISIS is very dangerous, and could cause modern Turkey to disintegrate with a renewed Kurdish rebellion internally, a ISIS ruled hinterland, and a Europe leaning West all fighting it out over the bones.
    If Turkey disintigrates then Greece and Russia will not stand on the sidelines. Wherefore Constantinople, Smyrma, western Armenia and eastern Thrace?
  • Options

What they promised and what they delivered.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Morning all.

Labour will do well in London, what they need is support in the Northern cities, Wales and Scotland to hold up. The candidate who can do that with some appeal to marginal voters is Andy Burnham.

I suspect that they have only a month or so to act in order to get things set up for the election. They risk missing the boat.

The Tories (and perhaps OGH himself) should remember to not take too seriously the immediate post conference polls.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723

Edin_Rokz said:

There’s a difference between dodgy bar graphs etc and completely made up ones. In the last part of my working life I spent some time reviewing “statistics” supplied by the less reputable end of the pharmaceutical industry and it’s was extremely rare to find any where the basis could not be supported.. Distorted perhaps, or incomplete, but that was as far as it went.
    I would think that to produce stats based on untruth is fraud.
    I've not had any success 'googling' on this subject. Phil Woolas case and others showed that you can't lie about your opponent and expect to get away with ithttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representation_of_the_People_Act_1983
    I suppose that there's so much misinformation peddled during elections (and even here on PB) that enforcing anything could be a slippery slope that leads to much litigation.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Good Morning.

If Turkey disintigrates then Greece and Russia will not stand on the sidelines. Wherefore Constantinople, Smyrma, western Armenia and eastern Thrace?
    The non Turkish populations of these places were expelled years ago, and Greece is not in a state to recover land. The only sizeable minority in Turkey is the Kurds now.

I was thinking of a Turkish holiday next year, but now it is another one off the list.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Good Morning.

The non Turkish populations of these places were expelled years ago, and Greece is not in a state to recover land. The only sizeable minority in Turkey is the Kurds now.

I was thinking of a Turkish holiday next year, but now it is another one off the list.
    Russia is, and imperial Russia regards itself as the continuation of the Byzantine empire.
  • Options

Peter Hitchens puts it better than I did.

"The Prime Minister likes to scare us by warning ‘Go to bed with Nigel Farage, wake up with Red Ed’. But, Mr Cameron, most of us have been through a worse nightmare than that.

To use your own rather tacky imagery, they went to bed in 2010 with an apparently conservative, pro-British Tory leader – and woke up in the morning to find it was all just thick make-up, and that you were a fervent Europhile, a politically correct sexual revolutionary and a Green fanatic."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2789604/peter-hitchens-one-thing-save-labour-tory-split.html
  • Options

If the issue bothers 20,000 voters nationwide that's all it bothers.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Morning all.

You think LAB will poll onder 30% at GE2015?

How much money would you care to invest in that little theory?
  • Options

I think you will find that the issue that conservative voters went to bed in 2010 with an apparently conservative, pro-British Tory leader – and woke up in the morning to find it was all just thick make-up, and that he was a fervent Europhile, a politically correct sexual revolutionary and a Green fanatic." bothers several zeroes more than 20,000 people.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

Morning all.

tim must be turning in his self-dug grave.....

All those posts about Cameron's problem with the women. How could Ed have gone and thrown it all away?
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited October 2014
  • Options

Morning all.

What we have seen recently a palpable lack of enthusiasm of Labour voters to turnout this year in Euro elections, Newark, Indyref, H and M or Clacton.

A low poll for Labour is quite possible even if most are not going kipper. Foot got 27% in 83 as I recall, when the unions were a lot stronger.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Labour will go into the election with Miliband, as it is too late to change leader now. Alan Johnson would be more popular with voters, but I can't see that he could be made leader, without a leadership contetst lasting weeks. This might cause factions within Labour to start briefing against each other and they may not be any better off than they are now. So they should stick with Miliband and promote themselves as being a united team.
  • Options

I think you will find that the issue that conservative voters went to bed in 2010 with an apparently conservative, pro-British Tory leader – and woke up in the morning to find it was all just thick make-up, and that he was a fervent Europhile, a politically correct sexual revolutionary and a Green fanatic." bothers several zeroes more than 20,000 people.
    You've broadened your ground somewhat. I directed my first reply to your original comment.

• Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

If you really believe that, there's no hope of having a sensible conversation with you.
  • Options

Morning all.

What we have seen recently a palpable lack of enthusiasm of Labour voters to turnout this year in Euro elections, Newark, Indyref, H and M or Clacton.

A low poll for Labour is quite possible even if most are not going kipper. Foot got 27% in 83 as I recall, when the unions were a lot stronger.
    Indeed. If I ever do vary my 35:25:23 prediction, I doubt Labour will be going up. The problem is to get a handle on what turn-out's likely to be, and there I think most of us are driving blind.

• Options

Morning all.

All those posts about Cameron's problem with the women. How could Ed have gone and thrown it all away?
    When looking at data tables women are much less tribal and more willing to admit to being undecided. They are the swing voters (and much less likely to be kipper inclined).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Beds, didn't imperial Russia end a century or so ago?

I have heard Russia (as then) described as the Third Rome. Whilst there are substantial connections to Byzantium, Russia claiming to the Byzantium's successor is about as realistic as suggesting the British Empire was Rome's successor. However, that doesn't mean it might not have been seriously believed, and Putin has certainly shown himself willing to invade place and take territory. I doubt he'd be able/willing to do that to Turkey, unless (as you suggest) it was being pulled apart by infighting.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Labour will go into the election with Miliband, as it is too late to change leader now. Alan Johnson would be more popular with voters, but I can't see that he could be made leader, without a leadership contetst lasting weeks. This might cause factions within Labour to start briefing against each other and they may not be any better off than they are now. So they should stick with Miliband and promote themselves as being a united team.

Surely the only way for Labour to change leader at this point would be for Ed to abdicate (or be defenestrated) in favour of Harriet, who may do well with women voters. She would not appeal quite so much in the Labour heartlands though.

Labour could do a lot worse. Harman is not my favourite of the front bench, but was a part of the New Labour team of the mid nineties and Labour needs to reassemble that team quickly, at least of those who survived the Brownite purges.
  • Options

Morning all.

When looking at data tables women are much less tribal and more willing to admit to being undecided. They are the swing voters (and much less likely to be kipper inclined).
    Indeed. Women have a better handle on what matters in life and what doesn't than men do.

• Options

Morning all.

Indeed. Women have a better handle on what matters in life and what doesn't than men do.

Surely not true! Few women understand the offside rule for a start...
  • Options
    Whilst Ed may be spectacularly crap, I still believe he is a symptom of a broken Labour Party, with nothing to say on the economy or immigration - both of which they ran exceedingly badly when last in power. A slightly less weird front man might get a hearing - but what are they going to say when they have the voters' ears? Is the absence of policies down to Ed as well? No....
  • Options

Morning all.

With regards to England, the best Monarchs and Prime Ministers have generally been women, the males have been a mixed bunch with a tendency towards hopeless.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055

MikeK said:

Good Morning.

As I've said passim, until recently Turkey's been doing a very good job in dealing with the refugee crisis in Syria and, latterly, Iraq. This involves not just camps, but billeting refugees around the country. It has cost them billions of dollars. The Erdogan government needs congratulating for that.

But (and it is one heck of a 'but'): the Turkish government is not just paralysed wrt the conflict as it currently stands; it is internally conflicted. Once the government decides which side it is backing, and gets the rest of the civil service and military to stick with that decision, it will be able to do something worthwhile militarily. Erdogan has sole responsibility for Turkey's inaction, with his purge of the military being a major factor.

Erdogan's a survivor, and he will survive what is happening. I doubt Turkey will split, although there is a small chance that a Kurdish autonomous region will fall out the other end.

As for backing the Kurds: you may want to look into the history of the PKK before saying that so lightly ...
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Morning all.

???

UKIP got 3% in 2010. Most of their current support are swing voters.
  • Options

Morning all.

With regards to England, the best Monarchs and Prime Ministers have generally been women, the males have been a mixed bunch with a tendency towards hopeless.
    Elizabeth the First, Victoria, Elizabeth the Second, Maggie....and WInnie?

• Options
    Miss DiCanio, point of order: the number compared to men is far smaller. If the sample sizes were approximately equal that would be a fair comparison, but as we've had one female PM it's not exactly fair to try and use her to establish the general principle that female PMs are better than male PMs.

I'm mildly amused the next election may hinge on whether Ed Miliband is very crap, or so incredibly crap the nation will unite in revulsion at his crapness and vote for someone they aren't very fond of but who does at least appear to be less crap.

The clue was there for Labour 4 years or so ago. The slogan 'Ed speaks human' should've been a sign. When the best slogan that can be managed for a politician is affirming his capacity to communicate with his own species it's not a great omen.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Is the absence of policies down to Ed as well?

Yes.

It seems he quashed any and all efforts by anyone else to formulate policies in favour of the squeezed middle, Cost of Living Crisis, One Nation Gareth
  • Options
    Betting implications: Mail says the Tories are trying to get James Cracknell to throw his hat in the ring for the open primary at Rochester. I can't imagine Mr Reckless would be delighted at that outcome....
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Were there any polls of Scottish voting intentions over the weekend?
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

Whilst Ed may be spectacularly crap, I still believe he is a symptom of a broken Labour Party, with nothing to say on the economy or immigration - both of which they ran exceedingly badly when last in power. A slightly less weird front man might get a hearing - but what are they going to say when they have the voters' ears? Is the absence of policies down to Ed as well? No....

The Tory record on the economy is abysmal.

Labour's problem is not their record its their toothless attack.

However that said the cost of living angle breached Osborne's bull and did - and still does - real damage to all the Tory propaganda.

It got voters to look at their own circumstances which are much worse than they'd be under another government in a recovery.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Morning all.

Female monarchs have been a decidedly mixed bunch too. Mary I, Mary II and Anne all rate pretty lowly. Victoria, for all the glory of her age, was emotionally unstable and had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. Her personal decisions were often questionable. Our current queen has generally done well in her public role though her family management has at times left something to be desired. Only her namesake can really claim greatness. The failed usurpers Matilda and Jane Grey don't add much to the female tally, nor does Mary of Scotland.

That's about a 10-15% hit rate, probably about the same as men. The ratio is obviously higher for PM's but with a sample of one, that's not really statistically meaningful. There've been plenty of duff female leaders of other countries.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Peter Hitchens puts it better than I did.

"The Prime Minister likes to scare us by warning ‘Go to bed with Nigel Farage, wake up with Red Ed’. But, Mr Cameron, most of us have been through a worse nightmare than that.

To use your own rather tacky imagery, they went to bed in 2010 with an apparently conservative, pro-British Tory leader – and woke up in the morning to find it was all just thick make-up, and that you were a fervent Europhile, a politically correct sexual revolutionary and a Green fanatic."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2789604/peter-hitchens-one-thing-save-labour-tory-split.html
    I like that Hitchens column.

"Voters are not the property of politicians. When they stop voting for one party, and start voting for another, why do we treat them as deserters who need to be dragged back?

If Tesco fails to attract customers and they go somewhere else, do we browbeat and threaten those customers into returning, or do we recognise that Tesco just wasn’t good enough? If you listen to the BBC and read the grand commentators of the media, you would think that Friday’s election results were bad and disturbing news.

They remind me of the East German Communists of 1953, furious and resentful that the people – in whose name they ruled – had risen against them"
  • Options
    matt said:

If you really believe that, there's no hope of having a sensible conversation with you.
    which illustrates why the UKIP voters won't be flocking back to Dave next May. (the italics was paraprasing Peter Hitchens column this morning)

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

I've not had any success 'googling' on this subject. Phil Woolas case and others showed that you can't lie about your opponent and expect to get away with ithttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representation_of_the_People_Act_1983
    I suppose that there's so much misinformation peddled during elections (and even here on PB) that enforcing anything could be a slippery slope that leads to much litigation.

I've seen a lot of it - my favourite, I think, was a LibDem leaflet which "showed" that they were a close second - it was only by reading tiny print and knowing the names of constituencies that you could work out that the figures were derived from a completely different place. In general I think it gets shrugged off unless lies are told about an opponent, which is when the writs start to fly. The other thing that makes parties bring the law in is getting the imprint wrong - presumably because it's an unambiguous requirement which can be proved with certainty, even though in normal circumstances it doesn't actually matter in the slightest (there is no trouble identifying and location most candidates).

Selective statistics are of course commonplace and virtually everyone without exception uses them - people highlight what's helpful to them. I don't think one can realistically stop that.

On topic, there hasn't been a shortage of criticism of Miliband (or indeed the other leaders) and I don't think there's much doubt that people have priced it all in.

Does Ashcroft's poll give VI, by the way? Can't see it in the Sun coverage.

• Options
    BenM said:

However that said the cost of living angle breached Osborne's bull and did - and still does - real damage to all the Tory propaganda.

It got voters to look at their own circumstances which are much worse than they'd be under another government in a recovery.
    It pains me to say this, but no. "Trickle-down" is over (if indeed it was ever more than propaganda). Globalisation has impoverished the overwhelming majority of people in the "first world", whilst raising living standards elsewhere and re-creating the mega-mega-rich for the first time since 1914 and before.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited October 2014
    Lab 34 in London this morning in YG, down about 7 or 8 from normal, Tory/LD static, UKIP now 17, up about 7 or 8.

I'd think that places like Woolwich, Eltham might be UKIP susceptible.

Worth keeping an eye on. The people yet to move to Kent.

• Options

Morning all.

???

Obviously for the kipper vote to have gone up some voters need to have changed allegiance.

My point was that those who describe themselves as undecided/loosely affliliated are more often women. How these undecided women listen to the parties will be a major factor. They do not seem keen on kippers, as Farage himself has admitted at H and M.
  • Options
    On topic, yes, it's bloody confusing. I'm far from convinced in the efficacy of the hard approve/disapprove questions at the moment: they're too crude. The prefer X to Y are better but really we need some figures at to by how much people disapprove of Cameron, Miliband and so on. How many voters are write-offs and how many could be tempted come May to back one or the other despite their reservations?

If ever there was a 'least worst option' situation, this is it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Potentially interesting mix

@JPonpolitics: On Pienaar's Politics from 10am this morning on @bbc5live I'll be joined by @MayorofLondon, @NicolaSturgeon and @ChukaUmunna. #Pienaar
  • Options

You've broadened your ground somewhat. I directed my first reply to your original comment.

Not really, the original post illustrated the two cardinal deceptions that sum Dave & co up. The promise to have a referendum on Lisbon which was ratted on, and the sneaky issuing a conservative equalities document three days before the election suggesting civil partnerships may be renamed as marriages, which was not in the manifesto and would have lost them a good number of votes if it was.
  • Options

Morning all.

???

Obviously for the kipper vote to have gone up some voters need to have changed allegiance.

My point was that those who describe themselves as undecided/loosely affliliated are more often women. How these undecided women listen to the parties will be a major factor. They do not seem keen on kippers, as Farage himself has admitted at H and M.
    As I recall there was some analysis on different behaviour between sexes during the scottish referendum campaign.

I think the punchline was that women are more risk averse.
  • Options
    Ref the Survation poll, their 25% is not only their best ever but also equals the Lib Dems' highest for the parliament (Harris, 9/6/10), and is as such the highest share for any third party since the last election.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

. "Trickle-down" is over

Stop 250,000 people a year (net) arriving, and it wouldn't be.

Until that is tackled, everything else is tinkering.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Morning all.

???

Are they? I thought there were considerable proportion of “have voted for years” ers! Until 1997 turnout was in the mid to high 70’s. Then it fell to 71, then to 59, and 61. Recovered a bit to 65 in 2010.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

If the price of doing something manifestly right by the people of this country is the death of the Tory party, then so be it.

The party is merely a vehicle for good governance of our great nation. It has no right to exist in its own right.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

True. The petition against it got >600,000 signatures and half of Tory MPs voted against it. Worse, it drove many Tory activists into the only party that opposed it - UKIP. UKIP haven't looked back since.

Dopey Dave decided to expel a vital part of the Tory coalition on the basis that "they had nowhere else to go". It turned out they did.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    BenM said:

I know you like to spout party-line pap Ben, but you really want to dispute this Govt.'s record on employment is better than Labour's? Or its record on growth in the economy? Or the cost at which it can borrow money?

The notion that any of these things could have happened without personal circumstances getting worse for a great many is just bizarre. Everyone knew in 2010 that BY NECESSITY we were going to have a hell of a rough few years rebalancing Labour's broken economy. All except you it seems.

If you really had an alternative way that could have recovered the economy without this pain, then Ed Balls would have loved to talk to you about four years ago. As would the Nobel prize for Economics committee.....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Ref the Survation poll, their 25% is not only their best ever but also equals the Lib Dems' highest for the parliament (Harris, 9/6/10), and is as such the highest share for any third party since the last election.

Survation/MoS poll puts UKIP on 25%. Lab 31% - Con 31% - LibDem 8%.

CON 31% =
    LAB -31% -4
    UKIP 25% +6
    LD 8%=

Usual caveats etc etc! - but a stunning result for UKiP.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Labour cannot go on the attack on the economy because:

1. Of their own record - voters still (rightly) buy the argument as to why there's no money now i.e. Labour blew it all last time.
    2. They can't say what they'd do differently.
    3. Osborne is more trusted than Balls.
  • Options

Morning all.

???

As I recall there was some analysis on different behaviour between sexes during the scottish referendum campaign.

I think that less true than it once was, but still true to a degree. The question is : "will women take the risk on Ed? Or for that matter Nigel?"
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    Charles said:

If the price of doing something manifestly right by the people of this country is the death of the Tory party, then so be it.

The party is merely a vehicle for good governance of our great nation. It has no right to exist in its own right.
    RIP Tory Party.

Cause death: suicide.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

BenM said:

1. Of their own record - voters still (rightly) buy the argument as to why there's no money now i.e. Labour blew it all last time.
    4. they have consistently refused to acknowledge they got it wrong big time.
  • Options
    https://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2014/10/11/as-i-was-saying-about-ukip/

Good blog on the kipper phenomenon by Malik, though I am less convinced by his suggested counter strategy.
  • Options

Not really, the original post illustrated the two cardinal deceptions that sum Dave & co up. The promise to have a referendum on Lisbon which was ratted on, and the sneaky issuing a conservative equalities document three days before the election suggesting civil partnerships may be renamed as marriages, which was not in the manifesto and would have lost them a good number of votes if it was.
    I think 20,000 is a good number! (At least, it's never done me any harm that I know of.)

You've also forgotten that Cameron is leading a coalition government, and that he was chosen as his Party's leader precisely because he was the "heir to Blair". Your "apparently" says a lot: he only seemed that way to diehards who projected on to him qualities and beliefs he didn't have and didn't pretend to have.

• Options

I disagree with Paul's hyperbole but the fundamental point is right: gay marriage did a lot of damage to the Tory Party's support.

I have to say, I was shocked, saddened and surprised by that outcome, which was way beyond what I'd expected. The way I, and most people I knew, saw it, gay marriage was so similar to civil partnerships as to be simply a tidying-up exercise needed for equality. However, clearly a lot of people object to that equality in the first place; far more than I'd have estimated before the event.

That was the prompt that shifted a lot of support and even if it's no longer the driver, the break has been made and there are other drivers reinforcing it.
  • Options

On topic, yes, it's bloody confusing. I'm far from convinced in the efficacy of the hard approve/disapprove questions at the moment: they're too crude. The prefer X to Y are better but really we need some figures at to by how much people disapprove of Cameron, Miliband and so on. How many voters are write-offs and how many could be tempted come May to back one or the other despite their reservations?

If ever there was a 'least worst option' situation, this is it.

The fear of PM Ed will drive a proportion of former Tory Kippers back to the Tories come may.

The same fear of PM Ed will keep a a proportion of former Labour Kippers with UKIP come May.

As yet, we have no way of knowing those proportions. But I did say, many many months back, that UKIP 2.0 - the one aimed at Labour heartlands - was the one for an Ed-led Labour to truly worry about.

• Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Charles said:

RIP Tory Party.

Cause death: suicide.
    I believe that UKIP now accepts the status quo on Gay Marriage. Or has that changed again?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Charles said:

If the party's destruction comes down to that issue, which even during the debate on it one Tory opponent admitted the public seemed in favour of it, then the party was clearly already on its last legs. If society cannot handle it then it was a pretty weak society we had there not much worth the term.

But I suspect they will still be around and very large they will just need to readjust future expectations away from simple majorities. Labour seem headed in the same direction just a bit slower.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

True. The petition against it got >600,000 signatures and half of Tory MPs voted against it. Worse, it drove many Tory activists into the only party that opposed it - UKIP. UKIP haven't looked back since.

Dopey Dave decided to expel a vital part of the Tory coalition on the basis that "they had nowhere else to go". It turned out they did.
    He did what was right, in a move that was backed by the majority of the public. 80% of 18 to 34-year-olds support it.

UKIP are welcome to the elderly bigots who are against it.
  • Options

I disagree with Paul's hyperbole but the fundamental point is right: gay marriage did a lot of damage to the Tory Party's support.

I have to say, I was shocked, saddened and surprised by that outcome, which was way beyond what I'd expected. The way I, and most people I knew, saw it, gay marriage was so similar to civil partnerships as to be simply a tidying-up exercise needed for equality. However, clearly a lot of people object to that equality in the first place; far more than I'd have estimated before the event.

That was the prompt that shifted a lot of support and even if it's no longer the driver, the break has been made and there are other drivers reinforcing it.
    The reaction is surprising in that marriage is a declining trend so coopting a group enthusiastically in favour is more likely to see its continuation. That's a very Conservative worldview and the principle behind that accounts for the Conservatives continued relevance. The idea of Connservatism being a static narrow creed is a post-Thatcher effect. Her governments undoubtedly changed British society. They changed the Labour Party. Unfortunately the side effect was changing the Conservative party.
  • Options

BenM said:

Given another slowdown is coming to undermine Tory numbers on the economy - I presume, or why else would Osborne try to prepare us for it, as the narrative of improvement was going ok so I doubt it was a feint on his part - I wonder if 3. Will remain the case.

2. Is key to me as there does not seem much wriggle room but people seem to want a superficial change even if they don't like what they are changing to much is what I'm getting from the polls. A 'probably won't work but worth a try' sort of thing, which if people think a recovery is taking hold they can risk.

• Options

BenM said:

David Herdson said:

4. they have consistently refused to acknowledge they got it wrong big time.
    5. Every time Balls has come up with a narrative criticism of the government's policy or economic delivery, events have undermined him and it, from criticising tax increases to the flat-lining economy. You can only call the big picture wrong so many times before you lose all credibility. Labour did score some hits on specific changes but you need to earn a hearing before that will do you any good as well as doing the other lot harm.
  • Options

I think 20,000 is a good number! (At least, it's never done me any harm that I know of.)

You've also forgotten that Cameron is leading a coalition government, and that he was chosen as his Party's leader precisely because he was the "heir to Blair". Your "apparently" says a lot: he only seemed that way to diehards who projected on to him qualities and beliefs he didn't have and didn't pretend to have.

I think that Cameron was always explicitly a non-ideologue, green leaning, socially liberal leader with a reforming and modernising agenda for the Conservative party. This was as true of him as a candidate, and why the party chose him after the leaderships of Haig, IDS and Howard. The Tory party chose him with their eyes open.

The only deception was self deception by those who hoped he would be different in power.
  • Options
    matt said:

The reaction is surprising in that marriage is a declining trend so coopting a group enthusiastically in favour is more likely to see its continuation. That's a very Conservative worldview and the principle behind that accounts for the Conservatives continued relevance. The idea of Connservatism being a static narrow creed is a post-Thatcher effect. Her governments undoubtedly changed British society. They changed the Labour Party. Unfortunately the side effect was changing the Conservative party.
    All parties change over time. Thatcher's conservative party of the 1980s was very different to Macmillan's, and his very different from Baldwin's.

The Labour Party also underwent similar changes, although there was a sudden step-change in the mid-1990s.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

https://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2014/10/11/as-i-was-saying-about-ukip/

Good blog on the kipper phenomenon by Malik, though I am less convinced by his suggested counter strategy.

I like the contrast between the LD and UKIP motivation (although in many cases these are the same voters!)

"Voters are not saying ‘I am voting for another party at this election to make you listen to me’. Increasingly many are saying, ‘You will never listen to me, so there is no point in voting for you at all’."
  • Options

The problem on gay marriage I'd suggest was less that many people cared that much about it - even the gays weren't that bothered - but the amount of political capital Cameron invested in it when for most people there were a lot more important things being left hanging. At a time of economic crisis and falling wages it simply suggested the government had become disconnected with the issues affecting the majority of voters and was off on an agenda of its own.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Ninoinoz said:

Totally agree, I wouldn't want to be associated with them.
  • Options
    matt said:

The reaction is surprising in that marriage is a declining trend so coopting a group enthusiastically in favour is more likely to see its continuation. That's a very Conservative worldview and the principle behind that accounts for the Conservatives continued relevance. ...
    I agree. I supported the change partly because the equality is a good thing in its own right and partly because, as you say, abolishing the distinction between civil partnerships and marriage strengthen the institution and the role of the family unit, which most conservatives would believe is the most essential building block of society.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

BenM said:

Given another slowdown is coming to undermine Tory numbers on the economy - I presume, or why else would Osborne try to prepare us for it, as the narrative of improvement was going ok so I doubt it was a feint on his part - I wonder if 3. Will remain the case.

2. Is key to me as there does not seem much wriggle room but people seem to want a superficial change even if they don't like what they are changing to much is what I'm getting from the polls. A 'probably won't work but worth a try' sort of thing, which if people think a recovery is taking hold they can risk.

If another slowdown is coming, particularly one from the Eurozone, then that plays to the Tories' hands: the economy will go back up the issues index with Labour not having erased their failures from last time. Voters don't necessarily do gratitude but they do remember both successes and failures.
  • Options

matt said:

All parties change over time. Thatcher's conservative party of the 1980s was very different to Macmillan's, and his very different from Baldwin's.

The Labour Party also underwent similar changes, although there was a sudden step-change in the mid-1990s.
    I don't disagree: all parties change. Not quite what I was saying though.

On topic though, if 90% of UKIP voters are not feeling recovery what can be done? Digging down, what percentage are economically inactive so realistically will not feel it one way or the other?
  • Options

The problem on gay marriage I'd suggest was less that many people cared that much about it - even the gays weren't that bothered - but the amount of political capital Cameron invested in it when for most people there were a lot more important things being left hanging. At a time of economic crisis and falling wages it simply suggested the government had become disconnected with the issues affecting the majority of voters and was off on an agenda of its own.
    I didn't understand that argument even at the time. Government's can do more than one thing at a time and it didn't take up much parliamentary time either, so I didn't see how people could think it undermined the focus on economic issues, but apparently they did. Plenty of other non economic policies were being done too, I don't recall as much outrage over wasted time from those which could have been spent on the economy.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408

Morning all.

???

I suspect that in all mammal populations, males are keener than females to protect territory and access to the females. The corollary is that males are also keener than females to conquer new territory and access new females.

I think there'll be a propagation of genes-based explanation, but can't be bothered searching for it now.

Anyhow, in terms of the ballot box, this is why men are more likely than women to vote for parties that establish or maintain borders.
  • Options
    Mr. Blueberry, not *all* mammals. I believe ringtail lemurs are entirely dominated by the female gender.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Ninoinoz said:

Bowing to the powerful and spiteful gay lobby in the media and politics was the beginning of the end.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Not so much a question, but why aren't the 92% of UKIP supporters who are not feeling the benefit of the recovery asking why not?

I mean could it be them?

No, its got to be the fault of those awful hard-working immigrants hasn't it?

If the coalition wants to hit UKIP's vote, why not just introduce a rule that all benefits, credits, etc. have to be renewed on the first Thursday of each month. That should reduce their vote to manageable proportions.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

He did what was right, in a move that was backed by the majority of the public. 80% of 18 to 34-year-olds support it.

Indeed. It is a lot easier to feel good about being a member of the Conservative Party these days. There was always an element whose views made my skin crawl. They are far fewer now.

And if the Labour Party was remotely honest, it would acknowledge that it too would have lost members if it had introduced gay marriage. Which may explain why, for 13 years, it didn't have the balls...

• Options

kle4 said:

BenM said:

If another slowdown is coming, particularly one from the Eurozone, then that plays to the Tories' hands: the economy will go back up the issues index with Labour not having erased their failures from last time. Voters don't necessarily do gratitude but they do remember both successes and failures.
    Or would they think the Tories have shown they cannot fix it either - blame all failures on outside factors eventually all your successes are attributed to them too- and so why not a change to those who say they be less harsh. Would probably be wrong but there's little risk if our rises and falls are beyond our control.
  • Options

kle4 said:

BenM said:

Hmm well Osborne screwed up in the last slow down so I can;t see that being something to shout about.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Not so much a question, but why aren't the 92% of UKIP supporters who are not feeling the benefit of the recovery asking why not?

I mean could it be them?

If the coalition wants to hit UKIP's vote, why not just introduce a rule that all benefits, credits, etc. have to be renewed on the first Thursday of each month. That should reduce their vote to manageable proportions.

You're going to have to sharpen up your trolling. Your efforts so far have been uniformly dull.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408

Mr. Blueberry, not *all* mammals. I believe ringtail lemurs are entirely dominated by the female gender.

I believe the male ringtail lemurs have succeeded in fooling both female ringtail lemurs and human zoologists into thinking this is the case. But in reality they do in fact have the final say in territorial and matrimonial matters.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    The current YG is fairly illuminating on how settled the voters are. 85% of both Lab and Con voters are almost sure they'll vote that way. UKIP has 74%, LibDems 68%. That very much matches my doorstep impression - there just aren't many don't knows out there, after hearing everything on the economy, Cameron, Miliband, the NHS, immigration and everything else.

However, a cautionary note: YG was sampled on Thursday and Friday, Survation only on Friday. So Survation may be closer in showing the immediate post-by-election bump.
  • Options
    Fenman said:

I mean could it be them?

I suspect that man of them have been hit by interest rates at 0.5%. Their investment income they may have expected to see them through their later years is yielding a tiny proportion of what they had hoped. Pensioners in penury, looking for someone to blame.

Ironically, if Prime Minister Ed caused 10% interest rates, they at least might be quite happy for a while. Until the inflation hit....

• Options
    From BBC ticker (no story yet, just this line):
    "The Tory party is to politics what HMV is to music: "It's defunct," says UKIP's Douglas Carswell"

Hasn't HMV reported an improvement in performance recently?

If it was so defunct, why did Carswell join it? And how remarkable he suddenly realised, as his seat was under threat and UKIP's polling was at an all time high, that this was this case.

This is the flip side of the coin to the establishment parties claiming UKIP's just bad, and people backing it are 'doing voting wrong'.
This discussion has been closed.