Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Norman Lamb says a coalition with Ed would ‘enormously dama

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited October 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Norman Lamb says a coalition with Ed would ‘enormously damaging’ for the Liberal Democrats

The Liberal Democrats must not go into coalition with Labour even if they win more seats after the general election because the association with Ed Miliband would be so “damaging” for the party, a minister has warned.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited October 2014
    This would be really weird since they also seem to be saying they wouldn't back a minority government of either side. Vote LibDem to have another vote next month!

But reading the quotes they don't seem to match the Telegraph's summary. What he says is:
    "It doesn't mean it shouldn’t happen if it is the right thing to do for the country, the political implications of it are enormous."
    I don't see how you square that direct quote ("it doesn't mean it shouldn't happen") with the Telegraph's claim in the same piece that "The Liberal Democrats must not go into coalition with Labour even if they win more seats after the general election". British papers generally aren't too bad at accurately publishing verbatim quotes, but they're generally utterly useless at summarizing them accurately, so I'd believe the quote and ignore the commentary.

I'd imagine their strategy would be to make a very earnest "it's all very difficult" face whatever happens but ultimately do a deal with whoever offers them the best deal.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2014
    Interesting intervention from Norman Lamb. I think the LDs would only consider going into coalition with Labour if they have most votes and most seats. Just most seats wouldn't be enough. But as Norman Lamb indicates, they may steer clear of coalition whatever happens.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    AndyJS said:

Interesting intervention from Norman Lamb. I think the LDs would only consider going into coalition with Labour if they have most votes and most seats. Just most seats wouldn't be enough.

That sounds like quite an unlikely outcome. Unless something really weird happens involving UKIP, Labour winning the popular vote gives them a majority, so they only need the LibDems if they lose the popular vote.

Since they've also apparently ruled out supporting a minority government, isn't the obvious move to say, "the voting system has forced us into a position where we have to work with Labour for the good of the nation despite them not getting enough votes, but we'll need a referendum on PR to prevent this ridiculous situation from happening again"?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Not just Norman Lamb - David Laws has been saying something similar:

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Lib-Dem-pact-Labour-unlikely-MP/story-23042441-detail/story.html

And Labour don't sound keen on building bridges:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lib-dem-conference-labour-gets-personal-with-new-slogan-you-cant-trust-nick-clegg-9774987.html

I suspect the only viable coalition post GE is a continuation of the current one "rewarded for our success" - anything else "humiliated Lib Dems stay in government as Tories are chucked out" will just look too bad and we'll be in Minority government territory.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Having tasted power would the LDs turn it down or do they believe that Labour would not be as generous with posts and policies as the Cons - or do they now believe that coalitions are death to the smaller partner and could only work with tripartite coalitions.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

AndyJS said:

Interesting intervention from Norman Lamb. I think the LDs would only consider going into coalition with Labour if they have most votes and most seats. Just most seats wouldn't be enough.

That sounds like quite an unlikely outcome. Unless something really weird happens involving UKIP, Labour winning the popular vote gives them a majority, so they only need the LibDems if they lose the popular vote.

Since they've also apparently ruled out supporting a minority government, isn't the obvious move to say, "the voting system has forced us into a position where we have to work with Labour for the good of the nation despite them not getting enough votes, but we'll need a referendum on PR to prevent this ridiculous situation from happening again"?
    Marvellous. Rinse and repeat. So we'll get a vote on fixing the voting system to suit the LibDems every 5 years until the electorate finally votes the "right" way out of sheer exhaustion.

That isn't just referendum democracy. It's repeat referendum democracy EU style!
  • Options
    Economic truth wins at last over idealism

Vince Cable has launched an astonishing broadside against the party’s green agenda, saying that it imposes too high a cost on industry.

The Business Secretary said industries with high energy costs such as steel, are struggling against their international competitors because of soaring electricity costs.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2781433/Green-taxes-DO-harm-British-economy-let-countries-carry-polluting-Vince-Cable-admits.html#ixzz3FL72gXBQ
  • Options
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,370
    Government and responsibility have been too much for the Lib Dems. I suspect they are praying for a majority , any majority, so they can return to the opposition benches and regroup. They clearly need a new leader and more fundamentally a new reason to exist. Unfortunately that was not evident at their Conference.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT For those trying to figure out my Gallic Wars comment:

Nothing more than Tacitus's famous comment: 'they made a desert and they called it peace'

I'm fine with fighting and killing jihadists. I don't see any reason why we would allow people who have proactively picked a side this nasty back into the country, even if they are British citizens. Sorry: you're grown ups. Choices have consequences.

But sealing off the area and letting them despoil it for 50 years? Or dropping a nuke on it?

Nah.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    Financier said:

Having tasted power would the LDs turn it down or do they believe that Labour would not be as generous with posts and policies as the Cons - or do they now believe that coalitions are death to the smaller partner and could only work with tripartite coalitions.

The situation in 2010 was unique. The arithmetic meant that there was only one possible coalition and the economic situation meant that it had to be taken for the good of the country.
    No matter what the result next year the economy is undoubtedly in better shape, so a minority government is likely.
  • Options
    (1) The Lib Dems have to go into opposition in the next Parliament. No matter what the numbers are. A corollary of our collective dislike of coalitions is the electoral consequences for the junior partner. And I don't think this is solely a British phenomenon, either. Do junior coalition partners ever poll well at the next election?

(2) I expect Ed Miliband to be subjected to a degree of harassment unprecedented for any British Party leader in a General Election campaign. There surely has to be a good chance that he will be caught crying on camera at some point. (This is not because he is a worse Labour leader than Foot or Kinnock, it's because we are a less civilised country these days.) However, for the moment I'm sticking to my 35:25:23 prediction because I am not sure how to take into account the fact that his being bullied may gain him sympathy with some women voters.
  • Options
    Financier said:
    I would have smiled more if I thought that the electorate valued justice, as opposed to revenge. The fearful don't want justice, they want to feel safe.

• Options
    How do the Lib Dems survive? As Mike has pointed out many times the Coalition with the Tories has alienated a significant section of their support who will find the comments by Norman Lamb baffling. They will vote Labour next time and this surely increases the chance of them doing so even in seats where Labour has no chance and the Lib Dems need their tactical votes to see off the Tories.

Presumably Lamb is indicating that the Orange Bookers would find Coalition with Ed and Ed every bit as unacceptable and fear or contemplate a similar loss to the right. What is then left?

Slightly to my disappointment it seems that UKIP is here to stay and there is a realignment going on on the right which will inevitably push the Tories towards the centre. This leaves the Lib Dems very few places to go as most of their seats are tory leaning seats where they have offered a nicer alternative. If the Tories lose the nasty party tag to UKIP what is the point of the Liberal Democrats?

This country desperately needs a centre left option which is credible and capable of governing the country without inflicting serious damage but history and the SDP show that such an option is best achieved by internal reform of the Labour party rather than a challenge from the outside. Personally I would like the Lib Dems to be that centre left party but I think it is vanishingly unlikely this will happen.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

How do the Lib Dems survive? As Mike has pointed out many times the Coalition with the Tories has alienated a significant section of their support who will find the comments by Norman Lamb baffling. They will vote Labour next time and this surely increases the chance of them doing so even in seats where Labour has no chance and the Lib Dems need their tactical votes to see off the Tories.

Presumably Lamb is indicating that the Orange Bookers would find Coalition with Ed and Ed every bit as unacceptable and fear or contemplate a similar loss to the right. What is then left?

Slightly to my disappointment it seems that UKIP is here to stay and there is a realignment going on on the right which will inevitably push the Tories towards the centre. This leaves the Lib Dems very few places to go as most of their seats are tory leaning seats where they have offered a nicer alternative. If the Tories lose the nasty party tag to UKIP what is the point of the Liberal Democrats?

This country desperately needs a centre left option which is credible and capable of governing the country without inflicting serious damage but history and the SDP show that such an option is best achieved by internal reform of the Labour party rather than a challenge from the outside. Personally I would like the Lib Dems to be that centre left party but I think it is vanishingly unlikely this will happen.

I don't see why the "country desperately needs a centre left option which is credible and capable of governing the country" - the redistribution of power consequent upon globalization means that we no longer have class-based politics, but identity politics. This means that both social justice (Attlee, Wilson) and the opportunity to "better oneself" (Thatcher) are thrown into the dustbin of history.

India has managed democratic politics inside a communitarian framework ever since independence. Perhaps we should send a working party there to find out how to do it.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Financier said:
    I would have smiled more if I thought that the electorate valued justice, as opposed to revenge. The fearful don't want justice, they want to feel safe.

Nonsense. Whole life terms for serial killers IS justice. What the left want is for criminals to be let off rather than face justice.
  • Options
    What would be the role of the LibDems in a putative Lib/Lab coalition? Their self-imagined role in today's coalition is to keep the Tories 'nice'. They've abandoned their Orange Bookers in order to big up their spendy lefty PC credentials. So...if they got in bed with Ed - well what would they do? Push for even more spendy lefty PC shite? Or would they flip and become the voice of economic sanity? Will 'stop spending' become their junior partner mantra? Then they'd lose the vote they still retain. It would be the end of them. (Sounds tempting!)

The problem is nobody knows what the LibDems are for or what they believe. Least of all the LibDems themselves. Ask ten yellows what they think and you get 10 different answers.

The next election is going to present the electorate with a fairly stark choice: Spendy lefty PC bankruptcy vs sound money firm nasty Dave n Ozzy. Choose your sides and vote accordingly - but don't waste it on the incontinent yellow effluent.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited October 2014
    Socrates said:

Financier said:

Nonsense. Whole life terms for serial killers IS justice. What the left want is for criminals to be let off rather than face justice.
    Eh?? Matt shows a man being racked at the stake, his torturer calling it "common sense" and you talk about something else entirely, fostering views on me which I don't hold. You've completely misunderstood both the cartoon and my earlier comment.

• Options

DavidL said:

I don't see why the "country desperately needs a centre left option which is credible and capable of governing the country" - the redistribution of power consequent upon globalization means that we no longer have class-based politics, but identity politics. This means that both social justice (Attlee, Wilson) and the opportunity to "better oneself" (Thatcher) are thrown into the dustbin of history.

India has managed democratic politics inside a communitarian framework ever since independence. Perhaps we should send a working party there to find out how to do it.

Maybe it is just inexperience but I have deep reservations about identity politics. It seems divisive to me and encourages politicians to play for particular segments of the population in a way that is incompatible with social cohesion. We see this in the US and I am not sure that Indian politics based around family dynasties has much good to teach us.

We are in a situation where our government has very little room for manoeuvre. But they don't have no room for manoeuvre. There are choices to be made between additional cuts and additional taxes. There are priorities to be selected as to where the inevitable cuts will fall and which groups are to be protected. The country deserves a credible choice on this from the small state vision of Osborne. But we don't have one.

In my view the Orange Bookers could offer such an alternative. But who is going to vote for them in sufficient numbers?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

What would be the role of the LibDems in a putative Lib/Lab coalition? Their self-imagined role in today's coalition is to keep the Tories 'nice'. They've abandoned their Orange Bookers in order to big up their spendy lefty PC credentials. So...if they got in bed with Ed - well what would they do? Push for even more spendy lefty PC shite? Or would they flip and become the voice of economic sanity? Will 'stop spending' become their junior partner mantra? Then they'd lose the vote they still retain. It would be the end of them. (Sounds tempting!)

The problem is nobody knows what the LibDems are for or what they believe. Least of all the LibDems themselves. Ask ten yellows what they think and you get 10 different answers.

The next election is going to present the electorate with a fairly stark choice: Spendy lefty PC bankruptcy vs sound money firm nasty Dave n Ozzy. Choose your sides and vote accordingly - but don't waste it on the incontinent yellow effluent.

Bottom Half of the Internet Quotient (BHOTIQ) = time of first "bottom half" (i.e. abusive)comment minus time of first comment on thread. To-day's BHOTIQ: 3 hours 15 minutes.

BHOTIQ will shrink on a daily basis between now and the election.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Patrick said:

Looking at Labour policies, or rather lack of them, on the economic front, it would appear that, if Labour win most votes and seats, albeit not enough of the latter for a majority, the LibDem function will be to run the Treasury as well as Energy.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    DavidL said:

Government and responsibility have been too much for the Lib Dems. I suspect they are praying for a majority , any majority, so they can return to the opposition benches and regroup. They clearly need a new leader and more fundamentally a new reason to exist. Unfortunately that was not evident at their Conference.

I suspected you may be right and reached a similar conclusion after reading Mark Littlewood’s ‘Kodak’ comments at the weekend.

As an aside, looking back over the past four years, I don’t think I witnessed a single moment after the rose garden interview when Clegg, or the majority of his MPs for that matter, appeared to enjoy being in Government. – Perhaps good governance and an overwhelming sense of earnest sanctimony are incompatible?
  • Options
    Is calling the Libdems 'incontinent effluent' abusive? I suspect it is. To effluent.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Looking at Labour policies, or rather lack of them, on the economic front, it would appear that, if Labour win most votes and seats, albeit not enough of the latter for a majority, the LibDem function will be to run the Treasury as well as Energy.
    An Ed Miliband administration is not going to be a happy one. Attaching themselves to that might not be a good move. I suspect the yellows will refuse to join with anybody. We are much more likely to see 'confidencve and supply' or minority government than another coalition in my view. The LibDems USP has been blown.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    My hunch re the YouGov weightings has been proved correct.An explanation from the firm is required or else YouGov are in danger of being accused of partiality and may not be seen to be properly objective.
    Basically when Labour had a 7% lead in the polls the weighting. YOUGOV used a weighting that the 632 Labour respondents were weighted down to 624,and Conservatives were weighted up from 516 to 523

But in the one in which the Conservatives were 2pts ahead the 625 Labour voters were weighted down to 588. Where as the Conservative numbers were increased from 561 respondents up to 627

Tories figure boosted by 10% Labour figure lowered by 5%in the 2nd poll where as the first poll they marginally moved.

Did this have a baring on the result of the poll?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,505
    Patrick said:

Your second paragraph is spot on and a hangover from the merger of the Liberals and SDP.

They have always been a somewhat opportunist coalition whose raison d'être was that they weren't the other two, and arguably would attract and entrench greater support if there was only one protest party as opposed to two.

They're an anomaly now and they'll certainly be an anomaly after the next election. I wouldn't be surprised if the party ceases to exist in its current form over the next couple of parliaments.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anyone backing a minority government needs to factor this into their thinking:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27129817

And you probably need to take note of this too:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11140111/There-is-still-the-chemistry-to-forge-a-second-Con-Lib-Coalition.html

The fact that coalition terms are being openly discussed now shows to me that that's the end game that's being aimed at.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    Good post TSE. You and I are of one mind on this: no lib dem coalition post 2015. For not dissimilar reasons, the 10/1 on Con Minority is also value.

I think the Libs will go for confidence and supply, if they do any agreement at all.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Socrates said:

Financier said:

Eh?? Matt shows a man being racked at the stake, his torturer calling it "common sense" and you talk about something else entirely, fostering views on me which I don't hold. You've completely misunderstood both the cartoon and my earlier comment.

The Matt cartoon was a joke. The subject it was riffing on was the Conservatives' popular policy to replace the Human Rights Act so we can overrule stupid decisions like banning whole life terms. You seemed to be lamenting this fact. I did not attribute views to you but "the left" in general. Regularly I've heard arguments from left-wingers that rehabilitation for the criminal is the most important thing and that just punishment is not important.
  • Options
    On Betfair, odds on a Labour overall majority are drifting out and those on a Conservative majority are coming in. But the odds on Labour getting most seats have barely flickered.

Work that out.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    As far as the Lib Dems credibility is concerned he's quite right. After all they've said over the last four years trying to justify a deal with Labour would make them a laughing stock. From the point of view of the next election however this is political suicide and I can only think he and his partner Clegg have already made arrangements to join the Tories because his party is likely to cease to exist
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Is calling the Libdems 'incontinent effluent' abusive? I suspect it is. To effluent.

At least we agree that your post was abusive and as such enabled the BHOTIQ to be calculated!

• Options

DavidL said:

I suspected you may be right and reached a similar conclusion after reading Mark Littlewood’s ‘Kodak’ comments at the weekend.

As an aside, looking back over the past four years, I don’t think I witnessed a single moment after the rose garden interview when Clegg, or the majority of his MPs for that matter, appeared to enjoy being in Government. – Perhaps good governance and an overwhelming sense of earnest sanctimony are incompatible?
    Life was a lot easier when kind old uncle Vince and others would be brought on to the Beeb as the voice of reason between two extremes and provide running commentary. Those were the days!

For those who think we have no choices there are some interesting stats in this typical piece of doom about the EZ from the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11140221/Hans-Werner-Sinn-eurozone-doomed-to-decade-of-crises.html

I found the second chart particularly interesting. Germany takes a significantly higher share of its GDP in taxes than we do and spends only slightly less (they don't have a deficit, hence the difference). There are choices to brutal cuts but only in a sane economic framework which acknowledges the realities that we face.
  • Options
    Good:

As many as 100 British jihadists are believed to be stranded in Turkey because they are too scared to return to the UK after leaving Islamic State militants.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/disillusioned-british-jihadists-stuck-in-turkey-because-they-are-too-scared-to-come-back-to-uk-9775281.html

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014

Patrick said:

At least we agree that your post was abusive and as such enabled the BHOTIQ to be calculated!

Is your position one that those who thoroughly deserve a bit of abuse should be exempt? Not a believer in free speech? Please, I invite you, stand up for the LibDems - explain why they are not a waste of oxygen to me.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

Marvellous. Rinse and repeat. So we'll get a vote on fixing the voting system to suit the LibDems every 5 years until the electorate finally votes the "right" way out of sheer exhaustion.

That isn't just referendum democracy. It's repeat referendum democracy EU style!
    TBF there wasn't an option for PR as the Tories wouldn't let the voters vote on it, and it's possible (although on balance not likely) that the PR option would have won if the voters had been allowed to choose it.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The fact that coalition terms are being openly discussed now shows to me that that's the end game that's being aimed at.

Agree - I think the only viable post-GE Coalition is a continuation of the current one. The Lib Dems have already taken the hit for that - doing it again is unlikely to do more damage.

Propping up a Labour government reliant on Scots MPs to get through their English legislation would bring a whole new world of pain.....
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Is your position one that those who thoroughly deserve a bit of abuse should be exempt? Not a believer in free speech? Please, I invite you, stand up for the LibDems - explain why they are not a waste of oxygen to me.
    Abuse is not about what is said, it's about the way it's said. Most grown-ups know this, Patrick.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    antifrank said:

On Betfair, odds on a Labour overall majority are drifting out and those on a Conservative majority are coming in. But the odds on Labour getting most seats have barely flickered.

Work that out.

Some of that might be me. I've been laying Lab majority and backing Con majority all weekend. I left 'most seats' alone, though, because i still think it's going to be close (on current projections) and it wasn't as attractive value-wise.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    edited October 2014
    Interestingly, we all seem to agree from our different viewpoints - whatever the electoral arithmetic, the LibDems will (if needed) probably go for Confidence and Supply rather thsn coalition next time. Clegg seems keen to keep open the possibility of continuing coalition with the Tories, but it seems unlikely.
    DavidL said:

The view that UKIP will push the Tories to the centre is unfashionable - the more usual view is that UKIP will pull them to the right. We're seeing that already with the "squeeze benefits and cut tax" agenda as well as the ECHR stuff. So potentially a centre-right gap will open up for the Orange Bookers. Conceivably the exodus of left-wing LibDems means that the centre-right could hope to have a majority in the party, though polls show that substantial numbers of the remaining members wouldn't like it - e.g. the survey showing that most LibDem PPCs would rather work with Labour than the Conservatives.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    On topic,I sold Tory majority at 5.5 and reinvested in Labour minority at 8.0 with PP,changing a bet saver to outright win,several months ago.The big vibe from the L/D MPs,as opposed to members,is all directed to work with the Tories post GE2015 as they know this would be a better outcome for Cameron than a small Tory majority where,as TSE suggests,he would be held to ransom by his headbanger wing of UkipTories.For that reason,a Con minority is not a play as Cameron has far more in common with Clegg than he does with a fair chunk of his own party,especially on remaining in the EU,even though you cannot trust a word Clegg says.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    From those Lib Dems I know most lean towards Labour. This will surely cause a split and one that in my opinion is long overdue. Those on the right of the party will loin the Tories. They'll have so little to bring to bring with them apart from a few very discredited ministers the amalgamation will be almost invisible and the significant rest will join Labour.

From a marketing point of view this is labour's dream and the first bit of luck Ed's had for several months.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    This is the Norman Lamb who was the health minister that worked with Andrew Lansley to bring in the health and social care bill. Labour have promised to repeal this legislation as quickly as possible, because they think it enables the gradual privitisation of the NHS.

Either this is Stockholm syndrome or some Lib Dems are natural Tories who pretend to be Lib Dems.

Will the Lib Dems split after May 2015 ? Or will some Lib Dems defect to the Tories ?

Steve Webb will find it very difficult working with Labour, given that he has been so close to IDS in bringing in the welfare reforms. If Nick Clegg nominated Webb to be a minister under a Lab/Lib coalition, I don't think it would be at DWP. Some of the rules would make it very difficult for a Lib Dem minister to continue in the same role anyway with a different coalition partner. This is because there are rules which prevent access to some of the paperwork belonging to the previous government.
  • Options

My hunch re the YouGov weightings has been proved correct.An explanation from the firm is required or else YouGov are in danger of being accused of partiality and may not be seen to be properly objective.
    Basically when Labour had a 7% lead in the polls the weighting. YOUGOV used a weighting that the 632 Labour respondents were weighted down to 624,and Conservatives were weighted up from 516 to 523

But in the one in which the Conservatives were 2pts ahead the 625 Labour voters were weighted down to 588. Where as the Conservative numbers were increased from 561 respondents up to 627

Tories figure boosted by 10% Labour figure lowered by 5%in the 2nd poll where as the first poll they marginally moved.

Did this have a bearing on the result of the poll?

Not convinced, on statistical grounds. What's happening here is that YouGov is finding that 2010 Labour voters are responding more than 2010 Tories. This MIGHT mean something (greater commitment or false memory of how they actually voted) but it's probably just random variation. Otherwise it just leads to those (say 30%) respondents who do say they voted Tory in 2010 getting greater weight because they're representing the 36% who actually did. That's probably OK, and the small poll shifts that we've seen seem as expected for Tory conference week.

The area where it matters more is if there's a huge change in how people vote which means that they blot out what they did last time. The LibDem poll rating may even now be TOO HIGH because of this - if people who have recoiled from the LibDems are forgetting they voted for them, then only loyalists who do remember are being counted as 2010 LibDems, leading to the false conclusion that 2010 LibDems are more "loyal" than they really are. Conversely, the UKIP rating may be TOO LOW, because almost nobody voted UKIP last time, but people who have fallen for them may like to think they did (perhaps remembering the Euros) and get downrated as "the sample has found too many 2010 UKIP voters".
  • Options
    The early 20th century saw the rise of Labour from its trade union and other roots and the corresponding decline of the Liberal party, probably because it was still occupied with 19th century thinking and did not look around and adapt - the Conservatives were not blameless in that regard.

So is the UK wedded to two-party politics, or is there room for a third party, or could a form of the LDs arise and replace what is now Labour which is mainly redundant to 21st century thinking and requirements?
  • Options

DavidL said:

The view that UKIP will push the Tories to the centre is unfashionable
    Certainly among Labour commentators who much prefer a "Tory move to the right" narrative to obscure their own move to the left.

The fact that the Tories have been fretting about the ECHR from since well before UKIP was a threat an irrelevance.....

• Options
    Roger said:

From a marketing point of view this is labour's dream and the first bit of luck Ed's had for several months.

Labour is far too authoritarian for the Lib Dems to merge with them......

• Options
    Financier said:

The early 20th century saw the rise of Labour from its trade union and other roots and the corresponding decline of the Liberal party, probably because it was still occupied with 19th century thinking and did not look around and adapt - the Conservatives were not blameless in that regard.

So is the UK wedded to two-party politics, or is there room for a third party, or could a form of the LDs arise and replace what is now Labour which is mainly redundant to 21st century thinking and requirements?

I think that in most of "shire" England the Conservatives and UKIP can "cover the park" between them. The cities are another matter.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    Morning all,

Not sure we should pay much attention to Norman Lamb's comments. People's mindsets may well be very different just after the election. Remember the pressure the parties were under to sort it on in May 2015: Gordon in Downing Street refusing (rightly) to move and banging the phones, secret meetings with LibDem/Tories, the markets opening on Monday morning etc etc. All the main players are exhausted after the election.
  • Options

the small poll shifts that we've seen seem as expected for Tory conference week.

You've said this a couple of times Nick, but I really don't think it's right.

In my view Labour's lead was drifting up slightly from the 3-4% level towards 4-5% (don't forget the last poll had then at 7%, but I think that was top end).

And there have now been 2 polls showing the Tories with a small lead - so a putative switch of 6% based on Cameron's speech.

Now I accept all the caveats - conference season, need to see if it's sustained, replicated by other pollsters etc etc.

But the one thing it isn't is *small*
  • Options
    Nick Robinson on R4 saying that if you "read between the lines" it's clear what the outlines of a future Tory - Lib Dem coalition deal might be - how big is the gap between a 1% increase in in-work benefits and a 0% increase? How big a difference between a "mansion tax" and "additional higher value council tax bands"?
  • Options
    Telegraph reporting that rebel Labour MPs are starting to agitate for Johnson to stand for leader.
  • Options
    Being a LibDem is enourmously damaging for the LibDems
  • Options

Nick Robinson on R4 saying that if you "read between the lines" it's clear what the outlines of a future Tory - Lib Dem coalition deal might be - how big is the gap between a 1% increase in in-work benefits and a 0% increase? How big a difference between a "mansion tax" and "additional higher value council tax bands"?

How big a gap between an EU referendum and none?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2014
    Conservative shortlist for Hertsmere:

Antonia Cox
    Oliver Dowden
    Chris Hayward
    Rishi Sunak

Dowden is Cameron's Deputy Chief of Staff. Hayward is the local Deputy county council leader.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Financier said:

So is the UK wedded to two-party politics, or is there room for a third party...

The UK is certainly not wedded to two-party politics. It's been three party politics for at least the last thirty years.

The question now is whether UKIP establish themselves as a fourth party in British politics, or their rise coincides with a Lib Dem decline to the levels of obscurity enjoyed by the diehards in the Liberal party.
  • Options
    Carlotta

"Labour is far too authoritarian for the Lib Dems to merge with them......"

The attitude of Lamb and co might leave them no choice. If the heart of the Lib Dems side with labour and leave the few opportunist right wingers who appear to have nothing but a taste for ministerial cars which side to you think has the better selling proposition?
  • Options

Telegraph reporting that rebel Labour MPs are starting to agitate for Johnson to stand for leader.

Loved this comment from the article

"The former Home Secretary privately accepts if he had successfully challenged Gordon Brown in the run up to the 2010 election Labour would currently be in power"

Blimey! Sense of entitlement, much? Do the voters get an input?
  • Options

Clegg was protesting his enthusiasm for an in-out referendum under the terms of current legislation
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

With all the main parties campaigning to stay in, not much.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, comrades and capitalist pigdogs (your mansions shall be taxed into oblivion!).

Do not listen to the decadent lies whispered in the shadows by enemies of the people! Our beloved leader, Chairman Miliband, has never enjoyed stronger support. Only a few days ago, Economic Commissar Ed Balls (whose devotion to the leader is so great he has chosen for himself the same first name, to better emulate the enlightened way of Chairman Miliband) heaped boundless praise upon the Chairman's spell-binding speech.

Who can forget the soaring oratory as Chairman Miliband recited his insightful encounter with Gareth, prophet of the proletariat, as both men enjoyed a walk in the park and contemplated the horrors of Conservative capitalism?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Carlotta

"Labour is far too authoritarian for the Lib Dems to merge with them......"

The attitude of Lamb and co might leave them no choice. If the heart of the Lib Dems side with labour and leave the few opportunist right wingers who appear to have nothing but a taste for ministerial cars which side to you think has the better selling proposition?

It would be a sad day in UK politics to see the Liberals absorbed into the party of 90 day detention - and you are betraying the attitude, not uncommon in Labour, that Lib Dems are "mini-Labour who haven't seen the light"......that helped scupper any chance of a coalition in 2010 - good to see it hasn't gone away.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2014
    Conservative longlist to replace Hague in Richmond

Christine Emmett (Rutland Cllr, Corby by-election candidate)
    Nick Timothy (Chief of Staff of Theresa May)
    Wendy Morton (2010 Tynemouth candidate, former chairman of Richmond Association)
    Stephen Parkinson (SpAd to May, 2010 candidate in Newcastle North)
    Rishi Sunak (businessman)
    Julie Iles (2012 candidate for Surrey PCC)
    Edward Legard (Ryedale Cllr, 2010 candidate in Darlington)
    David Skelton (2010 candidate in Durham North)
    Helen Harrison (from East Northamptonshire)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Lamb is surely just acknowledging that the LibDems are now a very lop-sided beast, their left wing having largely departed, their right wing having largely stayed. By the very nature of events, it is more forgiving of right-wing policy than it was in 2010. Which I'm sure some of those who remain - such as OGH? - find deeply uncomfortable.

If only they had positioned themselves as the responsible party on the centre-left whose primary idealogy was sound money, they could have shown up Labour for the dangerous spendthrifts they are. But to do that, they would have had to show positive engagement with the Coalition. That they were PROUD of what it has achieved. Instead they prefer to look away, embarrassed.....
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited October 2014
    DavidL said:

How do the Lib Dems survive?

A LD poster on UK Polling Report said that the LDs thrive where Labour/Conservatives are weak. There's lots of constituencies like that. If anything, the number seems likely to increase, Lab/Con memberships don't seem to be growing.

Locally they are the second party in a two party system. Being the third/fourth/fifth nationally doesn't change that.

• Options
    Just prior to the LibDem Conference, the LibDem 2010 retention VI was running at ~25%, which is 10pts down on the January 2014 figure.

If this conference fails to halt and even reverse this decline, can we expect any major improvement in the polls for the LDs before next May?
  • Options
    Charles said:

"The former Home Secretary privately accepts if he had successfully challenged Gordon Brown in the run up to the 2010 election Labour would currently be in power"

If there weren't politicians with delusions of grandeur it would be a lot less amusing.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Just prior to the LibDem Conference, the LibDem 2010 retention VI was running at ~25%, which is 10pts down on the January 2014 figure.

If this conference fails to halt and even reverse this decline, can we expect any major improvement in the polls for the LDs before next May?

Been thinking the same. Even to get to a shockingly low 12% for the General Election, the LibDems have to DOUBLE the number of people who think they are currently worth supporting. That is a hell of an ask. Because those people have been there in the past doesn't mean they will be there in the future. What is to entice them back? What is being offered at the Conference this week to justify such a return? I'm seeing small beer and alarmingly thin gruel....

• Options

Wendy Morton (2010 Tynemouth candidate, former chairman of Richmond Association)

Someone will be lucky. A beautiful part of the world to represent. I still can't believe Hague's going at age 53. That would be unthinkable in politics 30 or 40 years ago.
  • Options

DavidL said:

A LD poster on UK Polling Report said that the LDs thrive where Labour/Conservatives are weak. There's lots of constituencies like that. If anything, the number seems likely to increase, Lab/Con memberships don't seem to be growing.
    Conservative Party membership is increasing. Lib Dem and Labour membership is increasing. As is UKIP, SNP and Green party membership. Plaid Cymru membership was certainly increasing in 2012.

These are clearly interesting times.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Good morning, comrades and capitalist pigdogs (your mansions shall be taxed into oblivion!).

"Your mansions shall be taxed into oblivion", except for our country dachas, buy-to-lets and houses in Islington and such areas reserved for our brave and self-sacrificing Comrades that are protected from the plebs and bigots.
  • Options

Financier said:

Been thinking the same. Even to get to a shockingly low 12% for the General Election, the LibDems have to DOUBLE the number of people who think they are currently worth supporting. That is a hell of an ask. Because those people have been there in the past doesn't mean they will be there in the future. What is to entice them back? What is being offered at the Conference this week to justify such a return? I'm seeing small beer and alarmingly thin gruel....

The polls are wrong. In the sense that they are universal, rather than constituency by constituency. We need some Ashcroft-style polling in Liberal strongholds to really understand what's going to happen. How is Clegg's vote holding in Sheffield, Kennedy's in Highlands?
  • Options

Someone will be lucky. A beautiful part of the world to represent. I still can't believe Hague's going at age 53. That would be unthinkable in politics 30 or 40 years ago.
    But he has been around forever. He's been party leader, at a time of extreme difficulty. He's been in one of the great offices of State for most of a Parliament. Short of being PM, what more is there to do? Good luck to him in whatever he chooses to do next. He's still young enough to have a meaningful second career, with a contacts list rivalled by very very few....

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

DavidL said:

Conservative Party membership is increasing. Lib Dem and Labour membership is increasing. As is UKIP, SNP and Green party membership. Plaid Cymru membership was certainly increasing in 2012.

I think the Conservatives might be fibbing.
  • Options

Charles said:

If there weren't politicians with delusions of grandeur it would be a lot less amusing.
    Indeed. But quite at odds with the 'umble cheekie chappie persona he puts on. Although I think his judgement that he wasn't up to the job was spot on.

After all, he made a tremendous success of the GP contract renegotiation.
  • Options

I hope he's going to write - whether memoir, political biography or even fiction, there's been a big hole since Roy Jenkins died. Mind you, I've no idea whether he'd be any good at it!

• Options
    Carlotta

and you are betraying the attitude, not uncommon in Labour, that Lib Dems are "mini-Labour who haven't seen the light"

You make a good point. But it isn't 'Labour' it's that there isn't space for more than two parties in our system. One governs the other opposes. The Lib Dems have proved this over the last four years and almost decimated themselves in the process. It's left or right. Lamb has chosen and now it's time for the rest to do the same
  • Options

DavidL said:

I think the Conservatives might be fibbing.
    I'll put you down as a "maybe", shall I?
  • Options

I hope he's going to write - whether memoir, political biography or even fiction, there's been a big hole since Roy Jenkins died. Mind you, I've no idea whether he'd be any good at it!

His biographies on Williams are worth a read: Pitt the Younger and Wilberforce.
  • Options
    Mr. Abroad, I've got Hague's biography of Pitt the Younger. It's good, I think.
  • Options

The books he's written so far - on Pitt and Wilberforce - have been pretty good. Not really cutting edge history, but a good survey of the landscape and a cohesive narrative.

The sort of history books that (as non professional) I really like.
  • Options

His biography of William Wilberforce was a masterpiece. Universally praised.
  • Options
    Financier said:

It depends what happens to the "don't knows". Also worth bearing in mind that they will hope to receive some reluctant tactical votes where their nearest challenger is a Conservative.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I've softened slightly towards Ed M; he may be a dud but he's a well-meaning dud.

He's the sixth form debater who thinks he knows it all, but is always willing to give you the benefit of his inexperience. Gareth, no doubt, went off a wiser man for his encounter with the sage of Islington.

Perhaps Ed's been thrust into grown-up politics ten years too soon?

A William Hague as he was in the 1980s? A younger Owen Jones? He'll have a little cry if those nasty big boys won't agree.

Ah, bless.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

DavidL said:

The Ottoman Empire is perhaps a better example, the US certainly seems to be moving to a hybrid between the Ottoman Empire and Brazil.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

antifrank said:

Agree - I think the only viable post-GE Coalition is a continuation of the current one. The Lib Dems have already taken the hit for that - doing it again is unlikely to do more damage.

Propping up a Labour government reliant on Scots MPs to get through their English legislation would bring a whole new world of pain.....
    Labour supporting lib dems have already voted with their feet. So the comments from Lamb seem correct - why would the remaining LD support be delighted with proping up Labour? The whole idea of a 'social democratic' party has gone pfft. What we have left is a party of hand wringers who want to whinge moan and lecture but not sully themselves with government. What they seem not to realise is that if they want to see some influence for their vote share they should have been seeking some sort of electoral pact with their coalition partners where they would not stand against each other or where either one was second. Instead they invent differences with the tories.

• Options
    Ian Dale did a list of LibDem seats they might hold at start of the year. Quite interesting reading.

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2014/02/05/why-the-libdem-seats-will-win-30-35-seats-in-2015

If we assume LibDem meltdown continues and only those he considers dead-certs are re-elected, here is the new team. I've put a star next to those who are in government (that I know of):

INVERNESS, NAIRN, BADENOCH & STRATHSPEY (Danny Alexander) *
    GORDON (Sir Malcolm Bruce (retiring – Christine Jardine selected)
    TWICKENHAM (Vince Cable) *
    NORTH EAST FIFE (Sir Menzies Campbell (retiring))
    ORKNEY & SHETLAND (Alistair Carmichael) *
    SHEFFIELD HALLAM (Nick Clegg) *
    KINGSTON & SURBITON (Edward Davey) *
    WESTMORLAND & LONSDALE (Tim Farron)
    BATH (Don Foster (retiring))
    BERMONDSEY & OLD SOUTHWARK (Simon Hughes) *
    ROSS, SKYE AND LOCHABER (Charles Kennedy)
    NORTH NORFOLK (Norman Lamb) *
    YEOVIL (David Laws) *
    BERWICKSHIRE, ROXBURGH & SELKIRK (Michael Moore) *
    LEEDS NORTH WEST (Greg Mulholland)
    SOUTHPORT (John Pugh)
    COLCHESTER (Sir Bob Russell)
    CAITHNESS, SUTHERLAND & EASTER ROSS (John Thurso) *
    THORNBURY & YATE (Steve Webb) *
    BRECON & RADNORSHIRE (Roger Williams)
    BRISTOL WEST (Stephen Williams)

If this happens, then this doesn't look like a team who are going to go and form a coalition with Ed M. Nor is it a group who will lightly give up the red boxes.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

If only they had positioned themselves as the responsible party on the centre-left whose primary idealogy was sound money, they could have shown up Labour for the dangerous spendthrifts they are. But to do that, they would have had to show positive engagement with the Coalition. That they were PROUD of what it has achieved. Instead they prefer to look away, embarrassed.....

a perfect summary of the past four years...
  • Options
    Vox pop. For my next project I'm toying between:

1) looking at UKIP's prospects as they stand now
    2) looking at the Lib Dems' prospects as they stand now
    3) updating my Labour and Conservative battlegrounds.

I'm probably going to do all three in due course, but any preferences which I should do first?
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, the third. The other two are perhaps more talked about, especially the first, but the third is the biggest playground in politics.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Labour supporting lib dems have already voted with their feet. So the comments from Lamb seem correct - why would the remaining LD support be delighted with proping up Labour? The whole idea of a 'social democratic' party has gone pfft. What we have left is a party of hand wringers who want to whinge moan and lecture but not sully themselves with government. What they seem not to realise is that if they want to see some influence for their vote share they should have been seeking some sort of electoral pact with their coalition partners where they would not stand against each other or where either one was second. Instead they invent differences with the tories.

Sorry, you talking about the LibDems or UKIP?

;-)
  • Options
    Charles said:

the small poll shifts that we've seen seem as expected for Tory conference week.

You've said this a couple of times Nick, but I really don't think it's right.

In my view Labour's lead was drifting up slightly from the 3-4% level towards 4-5% (don't forget the last poll had then at 7%, but I think that was top end).

And there have now been 2 polls showing the Tories with a small lead - so a putative switch of 6% based on Cameron's speech.

Now I accept all the caveats - conference season, need to see if it's sustained, replicated by other pollsters etc etc.

But the one thing it isn't is *small*
    I'm not sure we can productively debate the meaning of "small". But if it was 4.5% before the Tory conference and it's -1.5% now, that's a 3 point swing (technically Labour 2.5 down, Con 3.5 up), which is entirely normal for conference season. I agree that Labour didn't get much of a conference bounce (about a 1 point swing) but I think we can agree that that conference wasn't a huge success.

Last year, the conferences did produce a small lasting shift - Labour ended up on a trend 1-2 points higher. This year, we might see the reverse. But yes, I think it's quite small, certainly by comparison with the past conference bounces, and as I've said before I think that's because opinion is heavily entrenched and unlikely to change by May. I don't even expect that bounce to last.

Of course, if the coming week shows Tory leads of 4-5 I'll have been proved wrong and the "takes a week to work through" theorists will be right.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Perfectly put. It's the *embarrassed* bit that makes them vulnerable.

Lamb is surely just acknowledging that the LibDems are now a very lop-sided beast, their left wing having largely departed, their right wing having largely stayed. By the very nature of events, it is more forgiving of right-wing policy than it was in 2010. Which I'm sure some of those who remain - such as OGH? - find deeply uncomfortable.

• Options
    antifrank said:

I'm probably going to do all three in due course, but any preferences which I should do first?

I'd do number 3 next week, when we'll have the Ipsos-Mori and ICM out.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The first has the greatest immediate betting interest.

Most of us could reel of the names of the first five most likely UKIP wins, but it gets a bit hazy after that.
  • Options

Ian Dale did a list of LibDem seats they might hold at start of the year. Quite interesting reading.

http://www.iaindale.com/posts/2014/02/05/why-the-libdem-seats-will-win-30-35-seats-in-2015

If we assume LibDem meltdown continues and only those he considers dead-certs are re-elected, here is the new team. I've put a star next to those who are in government (that I know of):

INVERNESS, NAIRN, BADENOCH & STRATHSPEY (Danny Alexander) *
    GORDON (Sir Malcolm Bruce (retiring – Christine Jardine selected)
    TWICKENHAM (Vince Cable) *
    NORTH EAST FIFE (Sir Menzies Campbell (retiring))
    ORKNEY & SHETLAND (Alistair Carmichael) *
    SHEFFIELD HALLAM (Nick Clegg) *
    KINGSTON & SURBITON (Edward Davey) *
    WESTMORLAND & LONSDALE (Tim Farron)
    BATH (Don Foster (retiring))
    BERMONDSEY & OLD SOUTHWARK (Simon Hughes) *
    ROSS, SKYE AND LOCHABER (Charles Kennedy)
    NORTH NORFOLK (Norman Lamb) *
    YEOVIL (David Laws) *
    BERWICKSHIRE, ROXBURGH & SELKIRK (Michael Moore) *
    LEEDS NORTH WEST (Greg Mulholland)
    SOUTHPORT (John Pugh)
    COLCHESTER (Sir Bob Russell)
    CAITHNESS, SUTHERLAND & EASTER ROSS (John Thurso) *
    THORNBURY & YATE (Steve Webb) *
    BRECON & RADNORSHIRE (Roger Williams)
    BRISTOL WEST (Stephen Williams)

If this happens, then this doesn't look like a team who are going to go and form a coalition with Ed M. Nor is it a group who will lightly give up the red boxes.

He's updated it:

http://www.iaindale.com/
  • Options
    Fraser Nelson writes what I wrote the other day

Why every Tory should wish the Liberal Democrats a successful conference

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/10/why-every-tory-should-wish-the-liberal-democrats-a-successful-conference/
  • Options
    Rats in a sack! ....and when you think all Scottish Labour MPs need for their election literature is a picture of Danny Alexander

"The Lib Dems attack: Tories are 'borderline immoral', Danny Alexander gets sweary and Nick Clegg accuses Cameron of being 'a poor man's Thatcher'"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-lib-dems-attack-tories-are-borderline-immoral-danny-alexander-gets-sweary-and-nick-clegg-accuses-cameron-of-being-a-poor-mans-thatcher-9775322.html
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, it's ridiculous to describe a four year coalition partner as 'borderline immoral'.

"Look at these bastards, like David Cameron. What a git. Or 'sir' as I call him, Monday-Friday."

Honest disagreement is fine, but casting aspersions on the morality of the people you've been working with makes the Lib Dems look dodgier than the Conservatives.
  • Options

makes the Lib Dems look dodgier than the Conservatives.

That bad, eh?
This discussion has been closed.