Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After all the hype from UKIP about the 5pm defection – it’s

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » After all the hype from UKIP about the 5pm defection – it’s all about the defector who defected in the morning

UKIP's new donor's now giving £1m, not the £100k he originally planned. "Thank you very much," says Nigel Farage. https://t.co/PBw0hMRjZ3

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited October 2014
    The dampest of damp squibs.
    And first!
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Conor Pope ‏@Conorpope · 6m6 minutes ago
    UKIP literally just had a press conference because some guy was sad William Hague didn't know who he was.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Let Down. Let Down. Let Down.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Daniel Bond ‏@DanBond1 4m4 minutes ago
    @paulwaugh Farage said the money would help with 'four' upcoming by-elections. There are only 3 so far. Must know something we don't
  • Options
    Stand by your Eds!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    I hope Nige has got the cheque:

Tories deny latest Ukip defector Arron Banks once donated £250,000
    Conservatives say true figure given by businessman who has now joined Ukip is closer to £25,000

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/01/tories-ukip-defector-arron-banks-donation
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    edited October 2014
    Oh and to "Aaron Banks" I still say:

Who are ? I've never heard of you? Nobody in the Presser has ever heard of you?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Now would be the right time for UKIP to unleash their next MP defection after cunningly lulling everyone into a false sense of security.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Hahahaha

It's all over for UKIP

AGAIN!!!

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @holysmoke: Hearing rumours that a major political figure is about to give UKIP the points from his Tesco Clubcard...
  • Options
    Not the brightest move from UKIP, down to the fact that it will get zero coverage, whereas if they had waited a couple of days it might have got at least a bit.

Maybe this takes us back to that thread a couple of days ago about being wise not to hate your enemy. Over the last few days the UKIP leadership has made clear who it sees as its real enemy and that there is hatred there too.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    A let down, over hyped and over played – don’t suppose the press will be impressed either.
  • Options
    Conservatives gone in to 10/1 on Betfair Clacton, big UKIP drift
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Do you think someone got cold feet?

This seems like a very odd thing to announce at 5pm after the PM's speech.

It's not even a spoiler. It's a massive So What.
    GIN1138 said:

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    UKIP showing how desperate they are to derail Cameron's speech.

Cannot see it working really.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Wouldn't UKIP have done better to get Reckless to defect today?

Does this suggest someone else has pulled out?

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited October 2014
    Richard_Nabavi said:
    I don't want to poop the party even more than they've pooped it themselves, but surely holding a big press conference about a large donation, from a chap like this, is a bit counter-productive, isn't it? Especially if you're trying to present yourselves as the anti-establishment, WWC-friendly, party-of-the-little-guy.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to bank the cheque quietly?

The people's party does appear to be largely bankrolled by a small coterie of filthy rich City and establishment figures with flash houses.

Shades of Jimmy Goldsmith and the Referendum Party.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    After this, suspect, Mr Banks is about to see more about himself in the press than he will be comfortable with.
  • Options
    You may guessed by this thread, that I'm not impressed by UKIP's antics today.
  • Options
    Well said. I'm truly perplexed here.

Not the brightest move from UKIP, down to the fact that it will get zero coverage, whereas if they had waited a couple of days it might have got at least a bit.

Maybe this takes us back to that thread a couple of days ago about being wise not to hate your enemy. Over the last few days the UKIP leadership has made clear who it sees as its real enemy and that there is hatred there too.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,322
    edited October 2014
    "I am afraid UKIP have just made complete arses of themselves. Idiots to raise expectations in media of a big defection. Utter idiocy," Iain Dale

Hang on a minute....wasn't it Iain Dale who told us all a couple of days ago that another UKIP defector was 'imminent'?

Check your sources, Iain. Never mind UKIP, it's your cred that just took a knock.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Not sure about the pints. Not keen on Kentish beer. It'll buy quite a lot of chicken dinners though!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited October 2014
    Uh oh, that donation's gonna go up to 5million

Sajid Javid MP ‏@sajidjavid

.@tnewtondunn I didn't come across a single person today that had ever heard of an Arron Banks
  • Options
    @charlotteahenry: A week that started very badly for Cameron just ended pretty much as well as he could have hoped.
  • Options
    In all manner of ways, I suspect. Unless he's a very dull chap - some will be digging just to embarrass UKIP back.
    saddened said:

After this, suspect, Mr Banks is about to see more about himself in the press than he will be comfortable with.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Did anyone hear of Mark Reckless prior to last Friday?
  • Options
    Like the Labour Party whose goal of referendum prevention they share, UKIP are a bought and paid for rich man's party. How very Establishment!
  • Options

But you're Tory, so hardly neutral on the matter :)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    "In political comms you work hard to be helpful and interesting - dragging tired journos hundreds of miles only to under-deliver not good"

Much as they would hate to admit it, but I think personal relations matter to journalists and many of them are now going to bear a grudge against UKIP for making them travel pointlessly for a small beer story.
  • Options
    Nigel Farage is the complete mammary gland who spent election day in an aeroplane rather be on the ground, and thus managed to finish third in a two horse race.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2014
    So, to be clear, if William Hague had said 'Arron Banks is a splended fellow, he was perhaps the most distinguished Vice Chairman the Basingstoke Tories have ever had", would Mr Banks have given a million quid to the Tories instead?
  • Options
    @nicholaswatt: At least @UKIP optics well thought out. Standing outside millionaire's West Country pile will really appeal to all those @UKLabour voters

This post sponsored by Newssense™
  • Options

So, to be clear, if William Hague had said 'Arron Banks is a splended fellow, he was perhaps the most distinguished Vice Chairman the Basingstoke Tories have ever had", would Mr Banks have given a million quid to the Tories intead?

Interesting counterfactual!
  • Options

I've been told by Kippers* that my piece on UKIP last week was one the best they've ever read

*Ok one Kipper.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Soup kitchens have never been so active so our PM offers tax cuts for those earning over £41,750 a year. If I hadn't just finished lunch in a restaurant in Cap Ferrat sitting next to a poodle I'd think Tory England was just a bad dream.
  • Options

Like the Labour Party whose goal of referendum prevention they share, UKIP are a bought and paid for rich man's party. How very Establishment!

Talking of which, Stuart Wheeler expects UKIP to win 4 seats at the GE2015. Will the Farage Party hold the balance of power with that many?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11131879/Ukip-to-win-four-seats-at-2015-general-election-says-Cameron-pollster.html
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Coming here eating our worms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-29446232

Banksy piece painted over in Clacton. Cutting it off the wall might have been more profitable.

• Options
    I rather wonder whether UKIP indeed had a further defecting MP lined up who bottled it today. I can't think of any other reason for this kind of balls-up. And it would explain Nigel Farage's odd slip of "four by-elections".
  • Options
    Roger said:

If I hadn't just finished lunch in a restaurant in Cap Ferrat sitting next to a poodle I'd think Tory England was just a bad dream.

Love your work, Roger!
  • Options
    Just been re-reading the PM's speech and if those things are all in the manifesto, I'll be pleased as punch.

Bill of Rights, tax thresholds... and a mention of Hague's work on EV4EL.

Plus taking the war to Labour on the NHS. I have many complaints about the structure of the NHS, but as fetish - it's been used by Labour for far too long.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Afternoon again all :)

Does seem a little low-key but it remains to be seen if Clacton or a UKIP win at Rochester will tempt others to cross the line.

They will be faced with a withering verbal assault by TSE and Boris Johnson.

That wouldn't worry them - it wouldn't worry me.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Something tells me Arron Banks is gonna face a bit of scrutiny now..interesting photos of him already circulating
  • Options
    isam said:

Hahahaha

It's all over for UKIP

AGAIN!!!

Who has said that?
  • Options
    I see off twitter that OGH independently had exactly the same thought as me at the same time.
  • Options
    What an amazing day on PB. Cam is a triumph. Labour are toast. Ukip are screwed.

So just like any other day on PB.
  • Options

I rather wonder whether UKIP indeed had a further defecting MP lined up who bottled it today. I can't think of any other reason for this kind of balls-up. And it would explain Nigel Farage's odd slip of "four by-elections".

Plausible but the fourth by election could be a reference to the South Yorkshire Police Commisioner election at the end of this month.
  • Options
    Roger said:

If I hadn't just finished lunch in a restaurant in Cap Ferrat sitting next to a poodle I'd think Tory England was just a bad dream.

This time last week I was walking along Lake Geneva in Montreux :)
  • Options
    That didn't take long. I feel quite sorry for him.
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Something tells me Arron Banks is gonna face a bit of scrutiny now..interesting photos of him already circulating

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    dr_spyn said:

Banksy piece painted over in Clacton. Cutting it off the wall might have been more profitable.

I'm not sure if it is the xenophobic pigeons or Banksy that shows an alarming lack of knowledge about the dietary requirements of swallows.....

• Options

Except that, if that were the case, it would have been an even odder location to hold the press conference.
  • Options

I've been told by Kippers* that my piece on UKIP last week was one the best they've ever read

*Ok one Kipper.
    Wise not to hate your enemy :)
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I really admire Banksy's work - no doubt it's been recorded for prosperity with a photo, but seems criminal to destroy it.
  • Options
    Plato said:

That didn't take long. I feel quite sorry for him.

Scott_P said:

Was he stung by a fake woman like Newmark?
  • Options
    PM: Vote UKIP, get Labour

Response?

@ChrisBryantMP: Basically UKIP have Tory donors, Tory money, Tory MPs,Tory policies and Tory capacity for exaggeration
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

From the Guardian (link down thread):

Rock Services Ltd, of which Banks is a director, made a gross profit of £19.7m last year while paying corporation tax of only £12,000. The company deducted £19.6m in “administrative expenses”.

The main activity appears to be “recharge of goods and services” with Southern Rock Insurance Company – a part of the group of companies that is based in Gibraltar. Southern Rock Insurance states on its website that it underwrite policies for the customers of GoSkippy.com, which is run by Banks.

Because it is based in Gibraltar, there is little information available on it.
  • Options

What an amazing day on PB. Cam is a triumph. Labour are toast. Ukip are screwed.

Who on here has said Labour are toast or UKIP are screwed, making stuff up to shoot it down is just silly.
  • Options
    I wonder if any other large UKIP donors might just be feeling their nose is ever so slightly out of joint this evening?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I rather like Janet Daley - and golly, even she's impressed for once.
    Uncharacteristically, I'm almost lost for words – or at least for critical words. David Cameron said pretty much everything I wanted him to say in his belter of a conference speech. He chose to identify his overall theme as a "Britain people can be proud to call home". What this amounted to in effect was a picture of a social morality based on rewards for hard work, personal responsibility, pride in your achievements, and true fairness (which is to say, getting "something for something" rather than something for nothing). And, most important, the idea that permitting people to live in permanent dependency was not just a waste of money, but a waste of life.
    blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/janetdaley/100288384/david-cameron-he-said-everything-we-might-have-hoped-for/

I liked this a lot.
    This was – above all – a vision speech. It was about what kind of people we want to be: a return to the idea that "doing the right thing" should never be penalised. The riff in his peroration about the Conservatives being the trade union for hard-working parents, people who want to provide for their families, who want to get on in life – was both clever and true. The speech might have been called "Patriotism rather than paternalism": the idea that national pride and personal pride were part of the same package.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I see off twitter that OGH independently had exactly the same thought as me at the same time.

It's possible but unlikely that we'd ever have it confirmed one way or another.
  • Options

So, to be clear, if William Hague had said 'Arron Banks is a splended fellow, he was perhaps the most distinguished Vice Chairman the Basingstoke Tories have ever had", would Mr Banks have given a million quid to the Tories instead?

Well what Hague said was particularly vicious:

“The conference has fully moved on from the defection of one MP on Saturday and the gentleman you’re talking about is not a senior figure in this party, not someone I know at all,”
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I can't believe UKIP would do this as a planned strategy. It seems more likely there was another defector who got cold feet, so they get their new donor to pay his planned donations early to save embarrassment.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

I'm not sure if it is the xenophobic pigeons or Banksy that shows an alarming lack of knowledge about the dietary requirements of swallows.....

Twitchers head off to Cornwall to photograph swallows on the ground eating worms...
  • Options
    I am really sorry to have been proved right both about this evening's UKIP non event and in the longer term about the unsuitability of Farage as a party leader. Bloody stupid.

My perfect result in 2015 is for UKIP to get at least 5 or 6 seats but Farage not to be one of them. Long term that would be better both for the party and for BOO.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. StClare, well quite.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,853
    I can believe UKIP would do this as a planned strategy, given how perfectly they had played things for the last month, but maybe they just got lucky with all the other timing.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

I really admire Banksy's work - no doubt it's been recorded for prosperity with a photo, but seems criminal to destroy it.
    Accurate typo :-)
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: Today's non-defection to UKIP has a touch of Brown's non-election in October 2007 about it. After that the media turned on Gordon.
  • Options
    UKIP might have got away lightly. Can you imagine the PR horror if they had wheeled out say Normo Tebbs, who smiled, looked at the massed cameras, and said:

"You know, until David Cameron's speech today, I was inclined to join UKIP. But he seems to have met many of my concerns and I shall continue to stick with the Conservative Party. As should you all, out there...."
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: Today's non-defection to UKIP has a touch of Brown's non-election in October 2007 about it. After that the media turned on Gordon.
  • Options

Except that, if that were the case, it would have been an even odder location to hold the press conference.
    It looks like the perfect setting for the Munsters.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Who on here has said Labour are toast or UKIP are screwed, making stuff up to shoot it down is just silly.
    UKIP just almost doubled last years donations in one day and rather than think "hang on that could pay them to go all out in the seats they have a chance in, we should be worried" it is painted as bad news on here because it wasn't a defecting MP, and the press will now hate them.. the press hardly love them anyway

• Options
    Scott_P said:

The Defection That Never Was.....

• Options
    So the the critical tweets are from:

Tim Montgomerie former Tory Leader's aide and creator of Conservative Home
    Tory luvvie and former candidate Iain Dale
    Mark Ferguson The Editor of Labourlist
    Mark Wallace Reporter & Commentator for Tory propaganda site Lord Ashcroft's Conservative Home

Hardly an an objective unbiased group one might say
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014

"In political comms you work hard to be helpful and interesting - dragging tired journos hundreds of miles only to under-deliver not good"

Much as they would hate to admit it, but I think personal relations matter to journalists and many of them are now going to bear a grudge against UKIP for making them travel pointlessly for a small beer story.

For anyone who who remembers Millennium Night, I'm sure that the f**k up at Stratford Station, which left hundreds of journalists hanging about without a drink was why the Dome crashed as an attraction.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    So they dragged journalists away from Birmingham and away from Tory parties with a lot of top posh totty to reannounce a donor defection and that he is now a bit upset about William Hague. Doesn't seem sensible.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

away from Birmingham and away from Tory parties with a lot of top posh totty

Does Anne Widdecombe still go to conference?
  • Options
    Of course the UKIP donation is not news is it:

Harry Potter author JK Rowling gives £1 million to Labour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/3021309/Harry-Potter-author-JK-Rowling-gives-1-million-to-Labour.html
  • Options

Mark Wallace Reporter & Commentator for Tory propaganda site Lord Ashcroft's Conservative Home

Who are the supportive tweets from, I'm sure one must have flooded in.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,853
    edited October 2014
    FPT
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 1,982
    5:03PM

kle4 said:

In May you could go to bed with Nigel Farage and end up with Ed Miliband

So lazy. And unoriginal.

I thought it was very good actually.

It's not bad exactly, but it just makes me think of 2010 and of Labour and the Tories both claiming a vote for the LDs was a vote for Lab/Tory delete as appropriate, and I'm sure I recall lines about sleeping with Clegg and winding up with Brown.

It's also not worth much given UKIP's leadership has made clear they no longer care about whether Cameron is better than Ed M, and much of their support seems to agree. I guess it might be worth a few votes.

Also, didn't the Tories try for serious, 'we'll be honest with you about tough choices' approach in 2009 and their polling suffered as a result, or am I misremembering.
  • Options

Tm Montgomerie, Mark Ferguson and Mike Smithson

hahahaha
  • Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

UKIP just almost doubled last years donations in one day

Assuming you get the money......there does appear to be a gap between what UKIP have claimed Mr Banks donated to the Tories......and what the Tories said they received.....(when I say 'gap' I mean 'order of magnitude times ten')

• Options
    Yeah £1 Million donations are never news:

JK Rowling donates £1m to Scotland's anti-independence campaign
    Harry Potter author backs Better Together campaign saying it would be a 'historically bad mistake' to leave the UK

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/11/jk-rowling-donates-scotland-anti-independence-campaign
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Ukip just keeps getting more and more Tory,Tory donors,Tory cash,Tory MPs,Tory flashers.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

UKIP might have got away lightly. Can you imagine the PR horror if they had wheeled out say Normo Tebbs, who smiled, looked at the massed cameras, and said:

"You know, until David Cameron's speech today, I was inclined to join UKIP. But he seems to have met many of my concerns and I shall continue to stick with the Conservative Party. As should you all, out there...."

That would have been positively delicious!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Scott_P said:

The Defection That Never Was.....

Gordons election that never was was preceeded by a childish and petty and deliberate attempt to upstage the Tory conference by a surprise visjt to Iraq.

The pettiness of the kippers being motivated by trying to upstage the Conservative party conference (and it is notable that they did not do the same to Labour) confirms the unsuitability of Farage for high office. I hope he is replaced soon by someone of integrity like Carswell.
  • Options
    isam said:

Tm Montgomerie, Mark Ferguson and Mike Smithson

hahahaha
    I'll ask you as well, where are the people who are lauding this master stroke?
  • Options

isam said:

saddened said:

Assuming you get the money......there does appear to be a gap between what UKIP have claimed Mr Banks donated to the Tories......and what the Tories said they received.....(when I say 'gap' I mean 'order of magnitude times ten')

I'm reading that as "please don't let it be true"
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh ·32 mins32 minutes ago
    UKip need to go back and study expectations management 101. Lotta pissed off hacks oft this is it.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Ukip just keeps getting more and more Tory,Tory donors,Tory cash,Tory MPs,Tory flashers.

If that's labour's message in Clacton, I would suggest its somewhat counterproductive.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Socrates said:

I can't believe UKIP would do this as a planned strategy. It seems more likely there was another defector who got cold feet, so they get their new donor to pay his planned donations early to save embarrassment.

Have to agree this seems more plausible.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Harry Potter author backs Better Together campaign saying it would be a 'historically bad mistake' to leave the UK

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/jun/11/jk-rowling-donates-scotland-anti-independence-campaign

And did she pull a bunch of journalists away from an important event to make that announcement?

• Options

Scott_P said:

The Defection That Never Was....
    @Richard_Tyndall - was right, in his prediction - but I'm sure to modest to say so:

"I know nothing of course but I still believe this 5 pm stuff is just a wind up. - I also believe they have probably overplayed it if that is the case."

says it all really.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    kle4 said:

FPT
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 1,982
    5:03PM

kle4 said:

In May you could go to bed with Nigel Farage and end up with Ed Miliband

So lazy. And unoriginal.

I thought it was very good actually.

It's not bad exactly, but it just makes me think of 2010 and of Labour and the Tories both claiming a vote for the LDs was a vote for Lab/Tory delete as appropriate, and I'm sure I recall lines about sleeping with Clegg and winding up with Brown.

It's also not worth much given UKIP's leadership has made clear they no longer care about whether Cameron is better than Ed M, and much of their support seems to agree. I guess it might be worth a few votes.

Also, didn't the Tories try for serious, 'we'll be honest with you about tough choices' approach in 2009 and their polling suffered as a result, or am I misremembering.

Tory tough choices somehow always seem to be a lot tougher for some sections of society than others.

Oh well, at least we can be sure that those tax giveaways that Cameron promised must have been really tough for him
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Lotta pissed off hacks oft this is it.

They'll get over it. Farage is a godsend to the media. And will continue to be.
  • Options
    Spot on. It killed the Dome stone dead. PR is about value, and you can't get expectations wrong like that - especially when it comes to trailing about to a venue.

For anyone who who remembers Millennium Night, I'm sure that the f**k up at Stratford Station, which left hundreds of journalists hanging about without a drink was why the Dome crashed as an attraction.
  • Options

What was the hype about prior to that donation that made it seem like a flop? Ah now I remember nothing, it wasn't a PR cockup like this. All they had to do was wait 48 hours.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The Defection That Never Was....
    @Richard_Tyndall - was right, in his prediction - but I'm sure to modest to say so:

"I know nothing of course but I still believe this 5 pm stuff is just a wind up. - I also believe they have probably overplayed it if that is the case."

says it all really.

The Press will be falling over themselves to get to the Farage Party's next non-event.
  • Options
    The media already hated Ukip so I doubt Nige will worry too much to be honest
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

saddened said:

I'm reading that as "please don't let it be true"
    No, its 'make sure you get the cheque'......

......BTW, was it really smart to make the Lobby pay for their own drinks in Doncaster?

• Options
    saddened said:

Who are the supportive tweets from, I'm sure one must have flooded in.
    I wouldn't know. I do not waste my time with Twitter. Support for the announcement could be trending and it would mean sweet FA to me!
This discussion has been closed.