Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Ed Miliband compares to his predecessors

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    I can't believe people are criticising the bible.

How anyone can criticise a book with this passage, something we should all adhere too

"Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love."

Proverbs 5:19

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+5:19&version=KJV
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Betting Post

Backed Raikkonen for a podium at 2.86, hedged at 1.4. Very hard to come up with. One of those times when a regular column/betting fixture is irksome.

Pre-race piece is here: http://politicalbetting.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/monaco-pre-race.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,879
    MD, the Fourth Crusade was indeed a disgrace. On balance, I think the First was rather admirable.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited May 2013
    Charles said:

Deuteronomy

21"18 If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or his mother, and when they chastise him, he will not even listen to them, 19 then his father and mother shall seize him, and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gateway of his home town. 20 "And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey us, he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ 21 "Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so you shall remove the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear of it and fear,"

22 "20 But if this charge is true, that the girl was not found a virgin, 21 then they shall bring out the girl to the doorway of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death because she has committed an act of folly in Israel, by playing the harlot in her father’s house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you,"

This is from the holiest book in the Christian faith. Our children are encouraged to read this book to this very day.

Richard, if you had studied Christianity a little more rather than just dismissing all religions you'd understand that the New Covenant had entirely replaced the Old Covenant. Deuteronomy is only interesting as a historical record of the Jewish law at a point in time 2000 years ago
    And yet 2000 years later our children are still taught old testament stories, large swathes of the Christian world still cite old testament arguments to support their position on social issues and right now both the mainstream Anglican and Catholic hierarchies are using making arguments based on old testament beliefs to oppose extending equal rights to gays.

Another less contentious example is that the the Catholic code of Canon law still proscribes the eating of meat on Fridays.

I was bought up a Catholic and taught by nuns so I have a pretty damn good idea about Christian teachings.

By the way, one of the main reasons for the split between the early Christians and the Gnostics was that the Gnostics wanted to exclude the Old Testament from the Bible whereas the Christians successfully fought to have it kept in. You are also being rather parochial since I suspect you are looking at this from a purely western Christian position. The Orthodox Church sees the Old testament in a very different light and it is far more central to their beliefs.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited May 2013
    Sean_F said:

MD, the Fourth Crusade was indeed a disgrace. On balance, I think the First was rather admirable.

Perhaps in the protection of Constantinople, but can you really say the same about the goal of the conquest of Jerusalem?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,944
    edited May 2013

Back from the cricket.

Just one thought.

No12 in the Olympic Medal table last year and now this, Time for Yorkshire to cast off the underperforming UK rump, and fulfill our destiny

I knew Scotland getting their referendum would stir up restless English provinces. I issue a rallying call for people to rise up and head to Yorkshire to keep them in line.* I know, it involves crossing the line from the Bristol Channel to the Wash, which normally I'd not be in favour of, but sometimes these things need doing.

*after the Test match
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just witnessed someone finish watching all five Fast and Furious movies in one day. Surreal.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

The First Crusaders were incredibly brave - and unbelievably violent. When they finally took Jerusalem they slaughtered so many Muslims and Jews - men, women and children alike - the Christian knights' horses "rode in blood up to their bridles".

Some historians believe this brutal massacre continued for THREE DAYS.

http://www.medievalists.net/2011/01/14/crusaders-massacre-of-jerusalem-was-done-in-cold-blood-not-religious-frenzy-historian-argues/
    In his recent article, “The Demographics of Urban Space in Crusade Period Jerusalem (1099-1187), Alan V. Murray of the University of Leeds examines what happened when the Crusaders stormed into the Holy City on July 15th after a long siege

Blimey - just goes to show you not to pre-judge the contents of an article by its title. Demographics of urban space indeed
  • Options
    If there had been no crusades, then we wouldn't have adopted St George as the Patron Saint of England, nor would the cross of St George be the English flag.

What would have it been instead?

I have a feeling it would have been the White Rose.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Back from the cricket.

Just one thought.

No12 in the Olympic Medal table last year and now this, Time for Yorkshire to cast off the underperforming UK rump, and fulfill our destiny

I knew Scotland getting their referendum would stir up restless English provinces. I issue a rallying call for people to rise up and head to Yorkshire to keep them in line.* I know, it involves crossing the line from the Bristol Channel to the Wash, which normally I'd not be in favour of, but sometimes these things need doing.

*after the Test match
    No one can ever defeat Yorkshire or a Yorkshireman.
  • Options
    Such, regrettably, is the fate of a city that gets taken by storm.

Overall, I'd say the Crusader states compared quite favourably with the kind of anarchy that preceded them.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Back from the cricket.

Just one thought.

*after the Test match
    No one can ever defeat Yorkshire or a Yorkshireman.
    Honestly, you let some jumped up county win the War of the Roses and they think they're so great. What about the Danelaw, huh? While Yorkshire was bowing to their Danish overlords, down here in Wessex we kept up the fires of resistance, and eventually tossed them out and saved the realm, creating England as a whole.
  • Options
    Pop quiz Pbers.

One of the most pivotal people in Christian History had a very strong connection to Yorkshire, who was it and why?

This person was so pivotal, it is unlikely that Christianity would be where it is today, without this person.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,373
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

The First Crusaders were incredibly brave - and unbelievably violent. When they finally took Jerusalem they slaughtered so many Muslims and Jews - men, women and children alike - the Christian knights' horses "rode in blood up to their bridles".

Some historians believe this brutal massacre continued for THREE DAYS.

http://www.medievalists.net/2011/01/14/crusaders-massacre-of-jerusalem-was-done-in-cold-blood-not-religious-frenzy-historian-argues/
    Don;t forget the Albigensian Crusade that happened in large part in southern France!
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Pop quiz Pbers.

One of the most pivotal people in Christian History had a very strong connection to Yorkshire, who was it and why?

This person was so pivotal, it is unlikely that Christianity would be where it is today, without this person.

Too easy - Constantine the Great. ETA: Forgot to add the 'why' part of the question. Spent time with his daddy Constantius in York I believe.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pop quiz Pbers.

Too easy - Constantine the Great.
    Congratulations.

See only people with strong Yorkshire connections get called Great.
  • Options
    Matt Lawton ‏@Matt_Lawton_DM 51s

So what happens if this goes to pens? Do both German teams win?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited May 2013
    Live now on BBC3 - a young man on stage inciting a crowd of thousands of Londonderry youngsters to "throw bombs on it, throw bombs on it, throw bombs on it"

A sign of how far NI has come in recent years, or a bit of a gaffe by whoever approved the set list?

It amused me anyway...
  • Options
    Well Hazel Blears has lit the blue touch paper

Woolwich attack: coalition failing to tackle extremism, says Hazel Blears

Former Labour minister Hazel Blears says funding cuts are undermining government strategy against Islamist extremism

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/25/woolwich-attack-hazel-blears-attacks-coalition
  • Options

Well Hazel Blears has lit the blue touch paper

Woolwich attack: coalition failing to tackle extremism, says Hazel Blears

Former Labour minister Hazel Blears says funding cuts are undermining government strategy against Islamist extremism

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/25/woolwich-attack-hazel-blears-attacks-coalition

That's a ballsy move from her. So much so, I can only presume she believes it genuinely.
  • Options

If there had been no crusades, then we wouldn't have adopted St George as the Patron Saint of England, nor would the cross of St George be the English flag.

Saint Alban is the obvious patron saint for England.
  • Options
    They'll be dancing on the streets of Bayern now
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bayern score against Dortmund in Champions League final
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Sean_F said:

Such, regrettably, is the fate of a city that gets taken by storm.

Overall, I'd say the Crusader states compared quite favourably with the kind of anarchy that preceded them.

Ah but crusader power and all but a handful of chivalry was crushed by Sala al Din at the battle of the Horns of Hattin: a field of scrub between two hillocks (the horns) about 5 miles from the sea of Galilee, in 1187. All that remained of the Crusader kingdoms was a small area around the sea port of Acco, (Acre).

I've been a few time to this site, lastly in October last year. For years this area of Israel was neglected, but at last it appears that the area is about to be developed.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

@Charles
    It is perfectly true that the Old Testament does not bind gentiles. Yet Christianity has historically been fundamentally and violently intolerant. Aquinas strongly supported the execution of relapsed heretics, and vigorous crusading against Jews and Infidels who threatened to institute dominium over Christians

Is it bigoted to say that about Christianity?
  • Options
    Interesting thing about Salah-al-din, I was informed by a crusader historian once after a lecture on 'crusades' in Eastern Europe, that Saladin was not particularly well known or venerated in the Islamic world for quite a long time, as other leaders were more pious or successful against the crusaders, but that Western historians revived his reputation thanks to tales of his chivalry.
  • Options
    Dante finds himself in a circle of hell now that's he's conceded a penalty.
  • Options
    They'll be dancing in the streets of Borussia now, 1-1 now
  • Options
    Dortmund equalise from Penalty Spot! 20-ish minutes left!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The City of Dortmund is awesome, I had a great night there in May 2001
  • Options
    That is what you call quality defending.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Richard T,

People read one bit of the bible and interpret it in the prism of their own prejudice. The Old Testament - particularly Exodus - can be read as an invitation to genocide. David did a lot of slaying, adultery (ask Uriah the Hittite) and even joined the enemy against the Israelites, yet he's revered in Jewish eyes as a great king. Not exactly respecting the "Golden Rule", though.

Or you could read it as a vaguely historical document demonstrating God's patience and forgiveness for the Israelites. For example, Abraham supposedly negotiating with God for the safety of Sodom and Gomorrah (if there are ten righteous men). The two versions of the garden of Eden story in Genesis are clearly contradictor but show man's disobedience, the Tower of Babel is a story about pride, so why expect Christians to be perfect?

The New Testament talks of a new wine needing a new wineskin. The food laws are ignored (it's what comes out your mouth not what goes into it) and Paul persuades the developing sect that circumcision was not needed for the new recruits. The women caught in adultery has already been mentioned. Jesus came to the imperfect (100% of the population).

Islam prefers the first five books of the Old Testament and has different versions of the New. Most Christians go with the New Testament but accept that reading the Old is worthwhile too.

But if you take the Bible as Islam takes the Koran, you will find contradictions and strange role-models.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    MrJones said:

@Charles
    It is perfectly true that the Old Testament does not bind gentiles. Yet Christianity has historically been fundamentally and violently intolerant. Aquinas strongly supported the execution of relapsed heretics, and vigorous crusading against Jews and Infidels who threatened to institute dominium over Christians

No, it's only bigoted if you take the view that one religion is more extremist than another. If you think they're all equally bad, then that's ok.
  • Options
    @CD13 The Bible, like the Koran, has some very unpleasant verses and also some very wise and generous verses. The key to surviving in the modern age is to conclude that the unpleasant ones are either only symbolic, or were only applicable to that particular time, or otherwise not relevant. Christianity has, for the most part, done that. I think Islam is only starting to right now.
  • Options
    Robben wins it for Bayern surely!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Richard T,

People read one bit of the bible and interpret it in the prism of their own prejudice. The Old Testament - particularly Exodus - can be read as an invitation to genocide. David did a lot of slaying, adultery (ask Uriah the Hittite) and even joined the enemy against the Israelites, yet he's revered in Jewish eyes as a great king. Not exactly respecting the "Golden Rule", though.

Or you could read it as a vaguely historical document demonstrating God's patience and forgiveness for the Israelites. For example, Abraham supposedly negotiating with God for the safety of Sodom and Gomorrah (if there are ten righteous men). The two versions of the garden of Eden story in Genesis are clearly contradictor but show man's disobedience, the Tower of Babel is a story about pride, so why expect Christians to be perfect?

The New Testament talks of a new wine needing a new wineskin. The food laws are ignored (it's what comes out your mouth not what goes into it) and Paul persuades the developing sect that circumcision was not needed for the new recruits. The women caught in adultery has already been mentioned. Jesus came to the imperfect (100% of the population).

Islam prefers the first five books of the Old Testament and has different versions of the New. Most Christians go with the New Testament but accept that reading the Old is worthwhile too.

But if you take the Bible as Islam takes the Koran, you will find contradictions and strange role-models.

I quite agree. Unfortunately there are still plenty of Christians who do take to the old testament. Fascinating looking at the way the various Christian denominations regard homosexuality and how many of them still cite the Old testament in support of their position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominational_positions_on_homosexuality

Incidently it was interesting to find out that the Koran makes no mention of Stoning with regard to adultery and that Sharia law takes that from the Bible.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

MrJones said:

@Charles

No, it's only bigoted if you take the view that one religion is more extremist than another. If you think they're all equally bad, then that's ok.
    He's not saying there'll all equally as bad.
  • Options
    It's nice to see some balanced reporting on the UK's membership of the EU - a great article from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-14/u-k-exit-from-eu-may-really-happen.html
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    Carola said:
    one of those damned if he does damned if he doesn't moments.
  • Options
    General Election Voting Intention, Change Since Survation poll, May 20th

Conservative: 24% (nc) Labour: 35% (-1) Liberal Democrat: 10% (-1) UKIP: 22% (nc) AP: 9% (+1)

http://survation.com/2013/05/survation-for-the-mail-on-sunday-reaction-to-the-woolwich-incident/
  • Options
    Socrates said:

MrJones said:

@Charles

No its bigoted to think that well over a billion people are extremists because of a few murderous scumbags. I am sure the Christians would take offence at the idea that the Westboro Baptist Church should be considered as typical of Christian beliefs and morals.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Richard T,

I quite agree. Unfortunately there are still plenty of Christians who do take to the old testament. Fascinating looking at the way the various Christian denominations regard homosexuality and how many of them still cite the Old testament in support of their position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominational_positions_on_homosexuality

Incidently it was interesting to find out that the Koran makes no mention of Stoning with regard to adultery and that Sharia law takes that from the Bible.
    Sharia law isn't just based on the Koran. There's the hadiths as well.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

CD13 said:

Richard T,

Quite right and as I said it takes part of its teachings from the Abrahamic Old Testament.
  • Options

Conservative: 24% (nc) Labour: 35% (-1) Liberal Democrat: 10% (-1) UKIP: 22% (nc) AP: 9% (+1)

http://survation.com/2013/05/survation-for-the-mail-on-sunday-reaction-to-the-woolwich-incident/

24/22 was my guess for the Guardian ICM. Yougov might be starting to look like a bit of an outlier soon.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Great match, and thanks to SeanT once more for his cracking Dortmund tip from yonks back. But glad I laid it off on Betfair before the final ;)
  • Options
    Congrats to Bayern! Has it really been 12 years since Germany won anything football-related?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

That's quite an important poll. Indeed it is arguably VERY important. It shows that the near-crossover poll of last week was not an outlier.
    Yeah, but it is survation.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

MrJones said:

CD13 said:

Richard T,

Quite right and as I said it takes part of its teachings from the Abrahamic Old Testament.
    But not stoning to death for adultery. It's one of the hadiths.

edit: not prescribed iirc. just one option.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    '31% of GE2010 CON voters tell Survation MoS poll that they now back UKIP'

'Huge gender divide in UKIP vote in MoS Survation poll. 27% of men backed Farage's party to just 16% of women' OGH

I thought he was on holiday?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Of the 171 former Pakistani MPs who lost their seats in the election on 11th May, only 30 have left their official accommodation:

http://tribune.com.pk/story/552106/not-taking-the-hint-voted-out-of-parliament-ex-mps-refuse-to-leave-lodges/
  • Options
    Carola said:

'31% of GE2010 CON voters tell Survation MoS poll that they now back UKIP'

'Huge gender divide in UKIP vote in MoS Survation poll. 27% of men backed Farage's party to just 16% of women' OGH

I thought he was on holiday?

He's never on holiday when a poll's out.

Usually when he goes on holiday, something major happens.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    @Sunil

4 Labour deselections in Redbridge so far. They are always "naughty" at reselection time in your patch!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2013
    Btw, looks like Ireland might change its voting system, but...

only 3% want FPTP...

http://www.thejournal.ie/overhaul-dail-elections-915903-May2013/?utm_source=shortlink
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353
    Interesting Survation poll. On the one hand Woolwich doesn't seem to have affected voting intention at all (good, would be bad if a murder can change large numbers of votes), on the other it repeats the previous finding with UKIP on Tory heels, making it look less like an outlier. The secondaries don't show anything very remarkable - people aren't keen on Choudhary or the EDL getting airtime but it's not overwhelming, and on the whole they think the police did well and the security services are doing OK. I guess the Mail will major on the 2-1 for a death penalty for terrorism.
  • Options

@Sunil

4 Labour deselections in Redbridge so far. They are always "naughty" at reselection time in your patch!

Luckily the Tories are still the largest party! You probably remember the Aldborough by-election last year - I think it was caused by the Labour councillor not being able to handle the responsibility (or similar)!
  • Options
    eckythumpereckythumper Posts: 27
    new Survation poll out UKIP still at 22%
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    UKIP need to get within about 5% of the Tories with another polling organisation apart from Survation in order to be sure that they really are within striking distance.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Survation:

Conservative: 24% (nc)
    Labour: 35% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat: 10% (-1)
    UKIP: 22% (nc)
    AP: 9% (+1)

Right-wing: 46%
    Regressives: 45%
  • Options

Interesting Survation poll. On the one hand Woolwich doesn't seem to have affected voting intention at all (good, would be bad if a murder can change large numbers of votes), on the other it repeats the previous finding with UKIP on Tory heels, making it look less like an outlier. The secondaries don't show anything very remarkable - people aren't keen on Choudhary or the EDL getting airtime but it's not overwhelming, and on the whole they think the police did well and the security services are doing OK. I guess the Mail will major on the 2-1 for a death penalty for terrorism.

Very interesting poll.

The morning thread will be about that poll.

I think I'll headline it "Broken Sleazy Labour on the slide"
  • Options
    nothing wrong with survation poll, they poll well over 1000 people so what is the problem Andy JS
  • Options
    @Next

AP? What does that stand for? Alternative Parties? Never seen that description before.
  • Options
    Well the bottom left of the Sunday Times is interesting

pic.twitter.com/Pyhbpp2Hv1
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    AndyJS said:

@Next

AP? What does that stand for? Alternative Parties? Never seen that description before.

I believe it stands for "Another Party".
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

@Next

Another Party
  • Options
    edited May 2013

AndyJS said:

@Next

Another Party
    They don't say others now because in Game of Thrones, Others are walking zombies with red eyes.;)

• Options
    Next said:

Survation:

Conservative: 24% (nc)
    Labour: 35% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat: 10% (-1)
    UKIP: 22% (nc)
    AP: 9% (+1)

Right-wing: 46%
    Regressives: 45%

Survation/The Sunil on Sunday:

Tory/UKIP 46%
    Euroholics 45%
  • Options
    MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

@Next

Another Party
    They don't say others now because in Game of Thrones, Others are walking zombies with red eyes.;)

I thought The Others were "ghosts" living with Nicole Kidman!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good evening, everyone.

Feel like I've been reading medieval history for a little while now. Still got about half of By Fire and Sword to go, and finding it very interesting. It'll certainly help getting an approximately medieval approach to battlefield/siege morality right.

It's also interesting that massacres really didn't harm those who ordered them (such as Richard the Lionheart or Saladin). For that matter, Caesar had hundreds of thousands of Germanic people slaughtered.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2013
    AndyJS said:

UKIP need to get within about 5% of the Tories with another polling organisation apart from Survation in order to be sure that they really are within striking distance.

The May elections had them 2 points apart. Con 25%, UKIP 23%.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Something like a 120 seat Labour majority on the lowest winning share of the vote in history for that Survation poll...

FPTP - gives you Socialism if the Socialists win, if the Socialists lose (by not too much)...

• Options
    MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

@Next

Another Party

It's alright, they don't call them 'Others' in the TV show. The Others from lost however.
  • Options
    Actual votes in the local elections were Con 34%, Lab 22%, UKIP 20%, LD 14%, Greens 3%.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Labours bank at the crossroads:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10079966/Co-op-reviews-banks-futures-as-it-halts-new-loans.html

"Swiss investment bank UBS has been hired to advise the Co-op on its options, which could range from the sale of more assets to the winding down or sale of the entire bank."

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    @AndyJS
    Thanks.
    AndyJS said:

@AndyJS
    Do you have a link to your list of Conservative targets please? I have already bookmarked the Labour ones on my main computer.

AndyJS said:

Although there's a LD target list on UKPR, I'm still working on my own target list at the moment because it'll have the same kind of extra information that was included on my Con and Lab target lists.

Conservative targets (for swings of up to 10%):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dEk1TlVqMHhNUXFBWlhSNU1hd0FYSHc#gid=0

Labour targets for anyone who's interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dDRiT1FSRTF2bjVYRThSTnRaNzFXMlE#gid=0
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    RodCrosby said:

FPTP - gives you Socialism if the Socialists win, if the Socialists lose (by not too much)...

Which is exactly the calculation the Right parties made 100 years ago in Europe when they moved to PR systems, and when Australia moved to AV...
  • Options
    We had a referendum and kicked AV out so it is not an issue
  • Options
    Saw an interesting thing a few days ago at Heathrow airport: the (fairly) new fully-automated purple pods, transporting people from a car park to Terminal 5:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking-options/heathrow-business-parking/heathrow-business-parking-terminal-5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ULTra_(rapid_transit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEu2B4WlC34
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,099
    Very much enjoyed the Great Gatsby this evening, a colourful and vibrant film adaptation of the Scott Fitzgerald book it also had an energetic score including music by Jay Z and Beyoncé and Florence and the Machine!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,099
    What is UKIP's position on the death penalty with the post-Woolwich poll showing its rating up and support for the death penalty for terrorists?
  • Options

After a campaign that had little to do with the merits of either system, we kept the crappest system over the 2nd-crappest alternative...

'not an issue'
    We're still lumbered with the crappest system, which will quite possibly deliver a result next time which would disgrace a bent one-armed bandit...
  • Options

What's the Home Secretary's favoured electoral system?

May-V!
  • Options
    It doesn't matter what the home secretary says, WE kicked it out with a substantial majority
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Very much enjoyed the Great Gatsby this evening, a colourful and vibrant film adaptation of the Scott Fitzgerald book it also had an energetic score including music by Jay Z and Beyoncé and Florence and the Machine!

I went to see that with a friend this week. I thought the first half was awful, but it picked up after that (mainly because I left and got sloshed in the cinema bar instead for the duration of the second half).

The Bowie doc just on BBC2, however, was magnificent.
  • Options
    Carola said:

HYUFD said:

I went to see that with a friend this week. I thought the first half was awful, but it picked up after that (mainly because I left and got sloshed in the cinema bar instead for the duration of the second half).

You should have gone to see Star Trek: Into Darkness or Iron Man 3.
  • Options
    Rod, FPTP has outlived it's usefulness.

WRT Saladdin, he could be very kind and merciful. And also atrociously cruel. I think the Muslim World rather prefers Baibars, who broke Crusader power. Runciman described him as "a statesman of the highest calibre. Untouched by any scruple of mercy, justice, or honour."

By Sword and Fire has convinced me that atrocities are absolutely routine in warfare. Certainly, prolonged, intensive warfare. We condemn them simply because we've been at peace for so long.

WRT Game of Thrones, what made it stand out from other fantasy series was not explicit sex or violence, or killing off important characters. It was the blunt depiction of sympathetic characters conducting mass executions, live burning, torture, murder etc. Yet somehow remaining sympathetic.
  • Options

Carola said:

HYUFD said:

You should have gone to see Star Trek: Into Darkness or Iron Man 3.
    Not my bag, man.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Rod, FPTP has outlived it's usefulness.

WRT Saladdin, he could be very kind and merciful. And also atrociously cruel. I think the Muslim World rather prefers Baibars, who broke Crusader power. Runciman described him as "a statesman of the highest calibre. Untouched by any scruple of mercy, justice, or honour."

By Sword and Fire has convinced me that atrocities are absolutely routine in warfare. Certainly, prolonged, intensive warfare. We condemn them simply because we've been at peace for so long.

WRT Game of Thrones, what made it stand out from other fantasy series was not explicit sex or violence, or killing off important characters. It was the blunt depiction of sympathetic characters conducting mass executions, live burning, torture, murder etc. Yet somehow remaining sympathetic.

Don't forget Peter Dinklage's performance as Tyrion Lannister.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

@Charles
    It is interesting that you appear to support the materialist, and for that matter neo-Marxian interpretation of the origins of the Crusades. It is a view which has been increasingly rejected in the historiography, where ideological and religious motivations have been stressed as paramount. I would recommend you read the works of J.S.C. Riley-Smith, I.S. Robinson, and C. Hillenbrand before commenting further.

I went to a posh school - meant I was brought up on AJP Taylor so a thorough-going leftie...
  • Options

Socrates said:

MrJones said:

@Charles

No its bigoted to think that well over a billion people are extremists because of a few murderous scumbags. I am sure the Christians would take offence at the idea that the Westboro Baptist Church should be considered as typical of Christian beliefs and morals.
    I never said that over a billion people are extremists. You seem to be in a hallucinatory mood today.
  • Options
    'WE kicked it out with a substantial majority'

I wonder what the percentage would be if the question was phrased:-
    "Do you want a system that permits the losing party to win the election (the present system) or an alternative which doesn't?"
  • Options

Back from the cricket.

Just one thought.

Was in York earlier this week (for the first time, am embarrassed to say). Quite lovely.

Why are you living in Manchester again?
  • Options
    TSE, superb as his performance is, Tyrion's darker side does get underplayed.

Rod, Labour could win a majority on 28%, if UKIP do really well.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Kirsty Wark interviews singer/songwriter Julia Fordham in 1988:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqpjC6BQ28U
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

MrJones said:

@Charles

I never said that over a billion people are extremists. You seem to be in a hallucinatory mood today.
    Sorry, 680 million. But if we are condemning that many people as extremists, what's a few tens of millions here or there. It was still a stupid and bigoted statement based on no evidence at all.

I used to have a lot of time for you and thought you were reasonable even when I disagreed with you.

Real shame how wrong I was about you.
  • Options
    Details of that International poll commissioned by the BBC World Service that is mentioned down thread:

http://www.globescan.com/commentary-and-analysis/press-releases/press-releases-2013/277-views-of-china-and-india-slide-while-uks-ratings-climb.html
  • Options

Charles said:

Deuteronomy

21"18 If any man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father or his mother, and when they chastise him, he will not even listen to them, 19 then his father and mother shall seize him, and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gateway of his home town. 20 "And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey us, he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ 21 "Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death; so you shall remove the evil from your midst, and all Israel shall hear of it and fear,"

22 "20 But if this charge is true, that the girl was not found a virgin, 21 then they shall bring out the girl to the doorway of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death because she has committed an act of folly in Israel, by playing the harlot in her father’s house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you,"

This is from the holiest book in the Christian faith. Our children are encouraged to read this book to this very day.

Richard, if you had studied Christianity a little more rather than just dismissing all religions you'd understand that the New Covenant had entirely replaced the Old Covenant. Deuteronomy is only interesting as a historical record of the Jewish law at a point in time 2000 years ago
    And yet 2000 years later our children are still taught old testament stories, large swathes of the Christian world still cite old testament arguments to support their position on social issues and right now both the mainstream Anglican and Catholic hierarchies are using making arguments based on old testament beliefs to oppose extending equal rights to gays.

Another less contentious example is that the the Catholic code of Canon law still proscribes the eating of meat on Fridays.

I was bought up a Catholic and taught by nuns so I have a pretty damn good idea about Christian teachings.

By the way, one of the main reasons for the split between the early Christians and the Gnostics was that the Gnostics wanted to exclude the Old Testament from the Bible whereas the Christians successfully fought to have it kept in. You are also being rather parochial since I suspect you are looking at this from a purely western Christian position. The Orthodox Church sees the Old testament in a very different light and it is far more central to their beliefs.
    Fair point on the Orthodox - I spend enough time with the ROC that I should know better!

There is a difference between teaching stories and citing arguments and the fundamentalist position. The Old Testament is still an important part of the Christian Tradition, but it is no longer the Law.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Back from the cricket.

Just one thought.

Was in York earlier this week (for the first time, am embarrassed to say). Quite lovely.

Why are you living in Manchester again?
    I live in Manchester for work reasons.

How in a few months time, I am going back to back to live in Sheffield.

After a gap of sixteen years.
  • Options

You lost. We won. Get over it.
This discussion has been closed.