Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we await the Lord Ashcroft polling this afternoon

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited September 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we await the Lord Ashcroft polling this afternoon

I’m expecting the full polling out at 2pm, I’ll do a thread on that, what makes the Lord Ashcroft polling so interesting, is the large sample sizes, in this instance 8,000 people were polled.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited September 2014
    What we really need to know today is the percentage of those ELECTED to represent the Tory party in 2010 who are prepared to support the party at the next election.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Ukip are attempted to recruit Conservative MPs from under the noses of the Whips over glasses of beer on the House of Commons terrace.
    A number of Tory MPs have been approached to defect to Nigel Farage's party by a senior Ukip official working in the office of a member of the Lords.
    Matthew Richardson, a barrister and Ukip's legal officer, has approached a series of Tory backbenchers as they enjoy drinks in the autumn evening sunshine by the river Thames.
    While Ukip does not have any MPs, Mr Richardson is able to access the corridors and cafes of the Palace of Westminster because he is a member of staff of Lord Willoughby, the Ukip peer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11125503/Ukips-man-in-the-Commons-bars-woos-Tory-defectors-over-pint-of-beer.html
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Ed is Odd
  • Options
    Re point 4... Worth remembering that 63% of people didn't vote blue last time... One in eight of those is almost 8%.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    JohnLoony said:

Ed is Odd

Yes, but he is going to achieve something not achieved since Gladstone in 1880.

Lead his party back to majority government after a single term of Opposition...

Isn't he?
  • Options
    The Ashcroft article reads like it was heavily subbed - I wonder if a fuller version will appear on his website with the polling data? I take the message as "all is not yet lost - if they listen".....and of course the UKIP fun and games this weekend has made the Tories lives a lot more difficult......
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Strange that no-one’s done a poll in Clacton. I wonder if we’re going to get a turnout surprise there. The local media ....... press, TV ....... don’t seem to be very interested.
  • Options

Strange that no-one’s done a poll in Clacton. I wonder if we’re going to get a turnout surprise there. The local media ....... press, TV ....... don’t seem to be very interested.

Doesn't seem like a race, does it? Probably hard to justify spending money to predict how overwhelmingly Carswell's going to win...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Brooks Newmark, the man who mixed up stiffy with selfie.
  • Options
    I've done some analysis of UKIP switchers. UKIP has hurt the Tories the most overall, but have hurt both Labour and the Lib Dems more in the last year or two.

Whether the recent defections change things in terms of proportions remains to be seen. Interpreting anything during conference season is fraught with danger due to response bias and genuine short-term volatility.

http://numbercruncheruk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/ukip-vote-decomposed-who-is-being-hurt.html
  • Options
    E-i-T, I’ve just had a look at the local paper and the current story is about whether or not the local Mother & Baby unit will stay open. This is a long-running story; been an argument around this for ages. Otherwise there’s a story about an anti-UKIP rally, another about an increase of over 1000 in voter registrations and a link to a pro-Tory “poll” in the Express.
  • Options

I've done some analysis of UKIP switchers. UKIP has hurt the Tories the most overall, but have hurt both Labour and the Lib Dems more in the last year or two.

Whether the recent defections change things in terms of proportions remains to be seen. Interpreting anything during conference season is fraught with danger due to response bias and genuine short-term volatility.

http://numbercruncheruk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/ukip-vote-decomposed-who-is-being-hurt.html

Thank you! Fascinating analysis lucidly explained. We used to have a few "UKIP doesn't hurt Labour" posters on here....but they went back to their farm, or something.....
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Thats very interesting #numbercruncher and thanks for the info. Did you also find out the percentage of non-voters (2010) that have now turned to UKIP?
  • Options
    On the YouGov Scottish sub sample watch - Łab 27, SNP 43.......
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314
    edited September 2014
    RodCrosby said:

JohnLoony said:

Ed is Odd

Yes, but he is going to achieve something not achieved since Gladstone in 1880.

Lead his party back to majority government after a single term of Opposition...

Isn't he?
    Lord Salisbury in 1895? Also, in practice, Harold Wilson in 1974 (I know the first time he was very slightly short of an OM) and possibly Thatcher in 1979, depending on how you define a 'single term'.

Besides, although it's difficult to see how the Conservatives can remain the largest party (particularly after yesterday) it's equally difficult to see exactly how Labour can win an overall majority from their current position. They are just not far enough ahead unless we can assume that Scotland is still safe for them.

That being said, as I pointed out yesterday, there are so many unknowns that we are simply guessing at what happens - so you could well be right about the result!
  • Options
    And a few crumbs of comfort for both Dave and Ed, if not in Scotland for Ed......

Doing well - net (Scotland)
    Cameron: -12 (+4). (-32)
    Miliband: -43 (+4). (-53)

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/j77kqbuqsf/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-260914.pdf
  • Options

Doesn't seem like a race, does it? Probably hard to justify spending money to predict how overwhelmingly Carswell's going to win...
    UKIP mentioned one:

"Clacton today puts us on 56% to the Tory 24%"

twitter.com/UKIP/status/515857352621580288
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Thats very interesting #numbercruncher and thanks for the info. Did you also find out the percentage of non-voters (2010) that have now turned to UKIP?

If YouGov are right, it's tiny - 2010 'liblabcon' voters account for 10 points of UKIP's 12.6% in August, and UKIP themselves got 3.1% in 2010! But they could be wrong - non-voters might also be less likely to join a panel...
  • Options

Thank you! Fascinating analysis lucidly explained. We used to have a few "UKIP doesn't hurt Labour" posters on here....but they went back to their farm, or something.....
    Of course UKIP is hurting all parties. The critical thing in GE2015 terms is that the seepage from the Tories is greater than the seepage from LAB by quite a degree. Hopefully the data from this afternoon's Ashcroft poll with an 8k sample will provide a more up to date picture.

My analytical method is to take the overall numbers of UKIP voters in a poll as the base and then the overall numbers of 2010 CON/LAB/LD/DNV/OTH etc.

The big feature is the differential switching with the blues being hurt most. But that may change.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Todays YG:

Scotland: SNP 43, Labour 27.
    LD Deserters: 78% ( Lab 32, UKIP 16, Tory 14, Green 13, SNP 2)
    Tory 2010 Vote Retention: 72%
    Labour 2010 Vote Retention: 80%
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    MikeK, the Clacton & Frinton Gazette says, and I quote.

"THERE has been a huge surge in people signing up to vote in the run-up to the by-election.

Since September 11, 1,357 extra voters have registered across the Tendring district, taking the total electorate to 110,648 – of whom about 70,000 are in Clacton.”

Not sure whether I’d describe an extra 1300 voters as “huge”, but there you are. The turnout last time was 64.2%, which means that the electorate was just over 67,000, so the increase is about 2%.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,350
    While I agree with numbercruncher that so much is going on that we should be wary about polls at the moment, opinion is more settled than most people realise. I'm sticking with my prediction that nobody (except maybe UKIP) is going to get as large a conference bounce as usual this year.

To take the apparently encourage figure from Ashcroft that 1 in 8 of people who didn't vote Tory in 2010 are prepared to consider doing so this time. That's out of 64% (because the Tory figure in 2010 was 36%), so it gives a ceiling of 8% that they might gain, before allowing for any losses to anyone: 56% won't even consider it. Of that 8%, I'd guess that half are merely being politely open-minded - "Of course I'll consider everyone" - and half are genuinely tempted. So the maximum realistic upside is 4%, before allowing for anyone from Carswell & Reckless downwards going elsewhere.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332

We always need to be wary of subsamples but the impression I am getting on the ground is that the SNP are doing a very good job of consolidating the Yes vote into support for them. FWIW that subsample is consistent with that.

Those who thought there might be an implosion of SNP support after a No vote are so far very wide of the mark. Scotland is still littered with Yes signs and Saltires. I have heard from friends from Glasgow that a number of people are still going around wearing Yes T shirts.

Labour have a major problem on their hands here. The assumptions of a Miliband majority tend to assume a 40+ cohort from Scotland. That may well turn out not to be the case.

At the moment, and it is still relatively early days, I think Scotland may well deny Ed his majority.

• Options
    "The Prime Minister only gave us two arguments why people should not support Ukip. First, it would be a wasted vote as that they could not win MPs. Second, he said that Nigel Farage did not have anyone behind him"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2772208/MARK-RECKLESS-Broken-promises-Tory-spin-Cameron-goaded-quit.html
  • Options

My analytical method is to take the overall numbers of UKIP voters in a poll as the base and then the overall numbers of 2010 CON/LAB/LD/DNV/OTH etc.

The big feature is the differential switching with the blues being hurt most. But that may change.

If you're using 2010 as a base then that's inevitable. In 2010 Labour only got 29%, all the swing voters voted for someone else, mostly the Conservatives.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    DavidL said:

We always need to be wary of subsamples but the impression I am getting on the ground is that the SNP are doing a very good job of consolidating the Yes vote into support for them. FWIW that subsample is consistent with that.

Those who thought there might be an implosion of SNP support after a No vote are so far very wide of the mark. Scotland is still littered with Yes signs and Saltires. I have heard from friends from Glasgow that a number of people are still going around wearing Yes T shirts.

Labour have a major problem on their hands here. The assumptions of a Miliband majority tend to assume a 40+ cohort from Scotland. That may well turn out not to be the case.

At the moment, and it is still relatively early days, I think Scotland may well deny Ed his majority.

Any Labour majority greater than 10 comes from majority in England. Recent events have given us hope that that will happen indeed.

UKIP's own poll in 3 seats shows Labour winning Rotherham today !

Summary of last week:

Miliband fluffs his lines; Labour ahead by 6 points.
  • Options
    From Numbercruncher's analysis:

Over the entire 18 months from Feb 2013 to Aug 2014, the vote share of CON to UKIP switchers has increased by just 0.4 points, from 5.5 to 5.9. Over the same period, LAB to UKIP switchers have increased by over a point from 0.6 to 1.7 and LIB to UKIP almost as much, from 1.4 to 2.2.

So we can see that UKIP has hurt the Tories the most overall, but have hurt both Labour and the Lib Dems considerably more in the last year or two. One might even conclude that CON to UKIP switchers have been 'maxed out' and that further gains will only come from other parties.

I suppose the question is, with 8 months to go before the GE, how quickly can Ed turn around his image - as Ashcroft observes today, for the uncommitted the GE might as well be 8 years away as 8 months. Perhaps when they start paying attention Ed's ratings will soar.

Doing well net among 2010 voters: (current VI):
    Cameron: +51 (+87)
    Miliband: +6 (+24)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2014
    DavidL said:

Thing that happened yesterday

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10665257_10152730941519138_7205947332750311053_n.jpg?oh=8f14c19265c0f1a2be09985ad9989ddc&oe=54CE7127&__gda__=1417828401_b9bf86dc01c0f9e50a52c73644f8ba45

EDIT: Is it possible to embed images?
  • Options
    More Survation polls today?

"...poll perspective on #CON14 tomorrow..."

twitter.com/Survation/status/515822123303321600
  • Options
    May I introduce a new concept to PB? It is that of the "Miliband Paradox".

For many months PB posters have been grappling with the relationship between Miliband's dire leadership numbers and Labour's consistent and relatively static lead in the polls. Tories have tended to the view that as the election approaches Miliband's evident weaknesses will lead to swing back, resulting in a Tory vote lead, if not a Tory seat lead. Left-leaning posters have tended to believe that the Tories' relative toxicity compared to Labour is an equal and opposing factor to Cameron's advantage over Miliband, and that the resilient Lib Dem-Labour switchers are the only group who really matter in this equation and are much warmer to Miliband. But posters on all sides agree that Miliband is a significant drag on Labour's electoral chances.

You're all wrong.

In fact, THE WORSE ED MILIBAND PERFORMS, THE BETTER LABOUR'S ELECTORAL PROSPECTS. This is the Miliband Paradox.

In 2010 I was one of many posters predicting large Labour mid-term polling leads. It was an obvious call. The Conservatives were going to have to make unpopular decisions, and the Liberal Democrats would no longer be the beneficiary of protest votes, and indeed would likely see some seepage (I did not predict the scale of that seepage). Labour, as the only serious, nationwide party of opposition, would be a magnet for protest votes, even as it recovered from its electoral shellacking.

The polls subsequently narrowed significantly, again as predicted. The cause, in large part, has been the weakness of Labour's leadership. Miliband is only part of that problem, and has been ill-served by most of his shadow cabinet, but as the leader has to take responsibility for that. As Miliband's personal ratings have dived, so has Labour's share in the polls. Labour has not been a sufficiently strong magnet for those protest votes.

But the Conservatives have not benefitted much. UKIP has. It is Miliband's weakness that has led unhappy voters to seek a new home, and allowed UKIP to emerge as a repository for protest votes. This in turn has transformed UKIP from a right-wing fringe party to one that can win national elections (albeit European elections) and appeal to voters from across the political spectrum. As can be seen in the Ashcroft polling (and plenty of other polling evidence) UKIP's current supporters (as opposed to activists) are by no means all from the Conservative right; amongst other things they are comparatively anti-austerity.

Part 2 to follow
  • Options
    Flockers_pbFlockers_pb Posts: 204
    edited September 2014
    Part 2

But as UKIP grows, whilst it draws support from all quarters of the political spectrum, it presents by far the biggest threat to the Conservatives. Leaving aside special circumstances (e.g. Rotherham) the seats UKIP has the best chance of winning or influencing the outcome of are Conservative-held seats. The politics of UKIP's leadership appeal more to Tory MPs than it does MPs of other parties, making the Tories more susceptible to defections, as we have seen. Defections damage morale and distract the party (as well as resulting in a net loss of seats). These defections would not have happened if UKIP were languishing on 8% of the vote and had failed to win the Euros.

Miliband's failures have led directly to the emergence of a new force in politics that principally damages Labour's main opponent. It is possibly the work of a strategic genius. It is the Miliband Paradox.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Over the entire 18 months from Feb 2013 to Aug 2014, the vote share of CON to UKIP switchers has increased by just 0.4 points, from 5.5 to 5.9. Over the same period, LAB to UKIP switchers have increased by over a point from 0.6 to 1.7 and LIB to UKIP almost as much, from 1.4 to 2.2.

So we can see that UKIP has hurt the Tories the most overall, but have hurt both Labour and the Lib Dems considerably more in the last year or two. One might even conclude that CON to UKIP switchers have been 'maxed out' and that further gains will only come from other parties.

I suppose the question is, with 8 months to go before the GE, how quickly can Ed turn around his image - as Ashcroft observes today, for the uncommitted the GE might as well be 8 years away as 8 months. Perhaps when they start paying attention Ed's ratings will soar.

Straws clutching
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

To be honest I think it's more that the Yes vote is doing a good job of turning itself into an SNP vote. The SNP aren't actively doing much to capture Yes voters beyond tweeting every time they get 10,000 new members signed up (so tweeting a lot at the moment).
  • Options
    Farage and Cameron on Marr shortly
  • Options
    "...As this news story erupts around Ukip, postal votes are arriving on doormats in Clacton."

twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/515935898077503488
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Hitchens has been taking his anti PB tablets

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/
  • Options

Straws clutching
    So what do you predict?

- Ed's ratings soaring in the run up to the GE, or,

- Ed becoming PM with the worst ratings ever?
  • Options

Straws clutching
    So what do you predict?

- Ed's ratings soaring in the run up to the GE, or,

- Ed becoming PM with the worst ratings ever?
    Ed becoming PM with the worst ratings ever will be hugely acceptable ! Basically, it will give the polling industry a two finger salute !
  • Options
    The latter is likely by the looks of it. Pretty confident we will have a LAB PM in just over 7 months.

Still there is the Con party conference bounce to come this week as well as Rotherham and EV4EL effect.
  • Options
    Aren't things relatively simple? The government is made up of two parties. One is expected to lose a significant proportion of its MPs in punishment from the electorate who dislike blatant liars. The other is no longer content to lose voters to a party that effectively divides its natural supporters, its now losing MPs as well.

There has been criticism for Labour's "steady as she goes" conference (not least from me) but with the alternative government imploding and arguing over Yerp - again - does Labour need to do much more? Anyway, the real winner will be apathy. A plague on all your houses was already the public mood, and that was before the current "none of the above" politicians offered their non-offers.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Any Labour majority greater than 10 comes from majority in England. Recent events have given us hope that that will happen indeed.

Summary of last week:

Labour are in serious danger of losing a dozen or more seats in Scotland. As they are losing them to the SNP rather than the Tories I accept that the effect is not doubled as it is when a Tory seat goes red in England but these threaten to be more significant numbers than UKIP can hope to achieve despite all the attention UKIP is getting.

A significant part of Labour support voted Yes, especially in Glasgow and Lanarkshire. In contrast the Tories have no seats to lose and pretty much all of their support voted No. In fact they have a chance to pick up from the 18% or so of SNP voters who voted No in the rural areas. This chance will increase and the threat to Labour will also increase when a Sturgeon led SNP unequivocally positions themselves to the left of Labour in Scotland.

The referendum was huge. Scotland is not the same country after it. Labour have a leader who is not popular in Scotland and a support who are seriously split about what is still the issue in Scottish politics.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Anyway, the real winner will be apathy. A plague on all your houses was already the public mood, and that was before the current "none of the above" politicians offered their non-offers.

An Ed Miliband who is 20 points behind David Cameron will not win an apathy election.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

To be honest I think it's more that the Yes vote is doing a good job of turning itself into an SNP vote. The SNP aren't actively doing much to capture Yes voters beyond tweeting every time they get 10,000 new members signed up (so tweeting a lot at the moment).
    I can well believe that. I don't expect to be involved in such a major political event in my lifetime. There is huge frustration in the Yes supporters and a thought of, "well what do we do now?" Joining the SNP is an obvious step for those who got a taste of activism and liked it.
  • Options

Part 2

But as UKIP grows, whilst it draws support from all quarters of the political spectrum, it presents by far the biggest threat to the Conservatives. Leaving aside special circumstances (e.g. Rotherham) the seats UKIP has the best chance of winning or influencing the outcome of are Conservative-held seats.

Robert Ford (Revolt on the Right) and Ian Warren (Election Data bod) helpfully produced a map of constituencies where UKIP might "influence the outcome" in 2015.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10857198/Ukip-has-torn-up-the-map.html
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    n Ed Miliband who is 20 points behind David Cameron will not win an apathy election.

The labour supporters aren't listening. I'm afraid. Since yesterday, they have been walking in an Ed wonderland.
  • Options
    A few thoughts on Mark Reckless' defection:

- Personally, he's no great loss to the Conservative party. He is an unpleasant individual, a persistent rebel and had no future in the party

- But his defection is none the less significant and damaging, because it turns Carswell's defection, which could have been dismissed as a curiosity, into the beginning of a trend, and it lends credibility, of a sort, to UKIP. Also, with each defection, the decision to defect becomes a little easier for others

- The timing of his defection, on the eve of the Conservative Party conference, will make this defection far harder to forgive than Carswell's. Whether it was Reckless's intention or not, this looks like a calculated attempt to wound his colleagues, rather than simply a principled decision to move to a party that better reflects his views. The Tories really need a good conference this week as a platform for the election. Reckless has made that much less likely.

- Reckless is to be applauded for triggering a by-election. Unlike Carswell, I sincerely hope he loses

- But his defection demonstrates his intellectual inadequacy. The evidence is plain to see that there will never be significant public support, let alone a plurality, for the kind of ultra-Thatcherite, hard right, slash the state, lower taxes, back to the 50s kind of Britain that he seems to support. He has mistaken UKIP's recent successes as evidence of broad support for that kind of prospectus, rather than being the product of protest votes having nowhere else to go.

- He has also failed to heed the clear evidence that Cameron polls significantly ahead of his party. Cameron (and his close team) are the only reason the Conservatives are in a position to govern and to implement, however inadequately, Conservative policies. That is not to say that a more right-wing leader could not lead the Conservatives to victory in the future, and govern better, but there's no obvious candidate, nor is there any obvious route for the Conservatives to track much further to the right without damaging their electoral prospects.

- But all that said Cameron has a serious problem with his party. It is not enough to blame the limited patronage available as a result of coalition. Cameron rose too quickly to build a genuine, deep base of support within the party, and as leader he has neglected to do so. While in some respects I applaud him for trying to reach over the heads of his party and talk directly to the people, as Blair did, Cameron has to recognise that his position within the party has never been as secure as Blair's (Brown notwithstanding). Cameron did not lead the Tories to an epoch-defining victory in 2010. He cannot afford to disregard his malcontents in the way Blair could. He must do more to build bridges.
  • Options

Anyway, the real winner will be apathy. A plague on all your houses was already the public mood, and that was before the current "none of the above" politicians offered their non-offers.

An Ed Miliband who is 20 points behind David Cameron will not win an apathy election.
    30 points behind......it's 20 points behind in Scotland......
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    chestnut said:

Todays YG:

Scotland: SNP 43, Labour 27.
    LD Deserters: 78% ( Lab 32, UKIP 16, Tory 14, Green 13, SNP 2)
    Tory 2010 Vote Retention: 72%
    Labour 2010 Vote Retention: 80%

If you are going to give us the Scottish sub sample, why not add up the whole week's and then give us the "weekly total" ? It would still be unscientific, but definitely closer to the real figures.
  • Options

I was pandering to those Labourites who think Ed will suddenly have a rush of popularity ahead of the election....

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Farage just axed the WAG tax
  • Options
    Farage saying no luxury tax on Marr.....
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited September 2014

- He has also failed to heed the clear evidence that Cameron polls significantly ahead of his party.

"Please indicate whether you have a favourable or unfavourable view of each of the following."

Mr Cameron: +25% / -48%
    Conservative Party: +25% / -48%

Mr Farage: +26% / -44%
    UKIP: +27% / -43%

http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/IoS_SM_Political_Poll_28th_September_2014_8723.pdf
  • Options
    Well that policy survived less than a day after the Conference! Farage must have worked out just how much tax the average Kipper would have to pay on their new Jag...
  • Options

But his defection demonstrates his intellectual inadequacy. The evidence is plain to see that there will never be significant public support, let alone a plurality, for the kind of ultra-Thatcherite, hard right, slash the state, lower taxes, back to the 50s kind of Britain that he seems to support. He has mistaken UKIP's recent successes as evidence of broad support for that kind of prospectus, rather than being the product of protest votes having nowhere else to go.

- He has also failed to heed the clear evidence that Cameron polls significantly ahead of his party. Cameron (and his close team) are the only reason the Conservatives are in a position to govern and to implement, however inadequately, Conservative policies. That is not to say that a more right-wing leader could not lead the Conservatives to victory in the future, and govern better, but there's no obvious candidate, nor is there any obvious route for the Conservatives to track much further to the right without damaging their electoral prospects.

It doesn't matter who thinks what or who polls how nationally, Reckless is optimizing for Rochester and Strood.
  • Options

Pretty confident we will have a LAB PM in just over 7 months.

If he wins (still very debatable), it will be in the same way that Dave "failed to win".

20-30 short of a majority.

Ed seems to have mislaid Scotland, and Wales isn't far behind.

Are there enough winnable seats in the North and London for Ed to gain 68, plus what he seems likely to lose North of the Border?

Three polls yesterday. Average score down to 35, with eight months to go.

The majority of the collapsing Lib Dems seats have the Tories second. What is going to happen in these?

• Options

A few thoughts on Mark Reckless' defection:

- Personally, he's no great loss to the Conservative party. He is an unpleasant individual, a persistent rebel and had no future in the party

- But his defection is none the less significant and damaging, because it turns Carswell's defection, which could have been dismissed as a curiosity, into the beginning of a trend, and it lends credibility, of a sort, to UKIP. Also, with each defection, the decision to defect becomes a little easier for others

(snip)

- But all that said Cameron has a serious problem with his party. It is not enough to blame the limited patronage available as a result of coalition. Cameron rose too quickly to build a genuine, deep base of support within the party, and as leader he has neglected to do so. While in some respects I applaud him for trying to reach over the heads of his party and talk directly to the people, as Blair did, Cameron has to recognise that his position within the party has never been as secure as Blair's (Brown notwithstanding). Cameron did not lead the Tories to an epoch-defining victory in 2010. He cannot afford to disregard his malcontents in the way Blair could. He must do more to build bridges.

I agree with most of that. Losing the likes of Mark Reckless in my view strengthens the brand of Conservatism and improves their chances of winning elections by demonstrating that they are indeed a centre right party.

What I am not so sure about is how much of his time Cameron should spend trying to build bridges in the party. There is no upside to gratuitous rudeness but Cameron needs his supporters to do this work for him rather than getting too hands on. He certainly does not want to be seen throwing "red meat" to this section of the party. Firstly, that does not work and secondly it taints his own brand which is key to a good result.

The message at Conference is that this is a job for Constituency Chairmen and women and all elected representatives of the party. They need self discipline, not discipline imposed upon them. They need to think through the implications for both the party and the country of a Conservative party going into the next election weak and divided. A Miliband premiership would be the result and at the moment that looks pretty frightening.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Re Reckless.. according to Guido, He was denying that he was defecting right up to the moment he jumped ship. It may be politics but with that kind of dissembling, I wouldn't trust Reckless as far as I could throw him.

http://order-order.com/2014/09/27/mark-reckless-defects-to-ukip/
  • Options
    The Tories and UKIP are too right wing to win GE 2015.

The only logical conclusion is that Ed is Crap will be PM.
  • Options
    The only way Reckless by Name hasn't ended his political career is if the Men of Kent abandon Labour. Which seems to me the most interesting aspect of this defection....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

If you are going to give us the Scottish sub sample, why not add up the whole week's and then give us the "weekly total" ? It would still be unscientific, but definitely closer to the real figures.

Average lead is 10 this week. Feel free to add it all up.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Summary of last week:

Labour are in serious danger of losing a dozen or more seats in Scotland. As they are losing them to the SNP rather than the Tories I accept that the effect is not doubled as it is when a Tory seat goes red in England but these threaten to be more significant numbers than UKIP can hope to achieve despite all the attention UKIP is getting.

A significant part of Labour support voted Yes, especially in Glasgow and Lanarkshire. In contrast the Tories have no seats to lose and pretty much all of their support voted No. In fact they have a chance to pick up from the 18% or so of SNP voters who voted No in the rural areas. This chance will increase and the threat to Labour will also increase when a Sturgeon led SNP unequivocally positions themselves to the left of Labour in Scotland.

The referendum was huge. Scotland is not the same country after it. Labour have a leader who is not popular in Scotland and a support who are seriously split about what is still the issue in Scottish politics.
    Labour's loss to UKIP will be precisely ZERO. I am including Rotherham, Doncaster etc. Notwithstanding what happens in Heywood on Oct. 9.

Yes, Labour may not win some seats like Thurrock, South Thanet etc. In fact, it is difficult to predict which party will win those seats.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Is there a prospect of Reckless losing his by-election?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited September 2014

Re Reckless.. according to Guido, He was denying that he was defecting right up to the moment he jumped ship. It may be politics but with that kind of dissembling, I wouldn't trust Reckless as far as I could throw him.

Mr Reckless says not.

"I haven’t really been asked the outright questions point blank that have required me to say something that wasn’t true."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/09/mark-reckless-the-row-in-witney-that-made-me-lose-my-faith-in-david-cameron/
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Elections for the Senate in France today.

- Hollande on the ropes
    - Right hoping to gain control
    - FN looking to get their first senators.
  • Options
    ComRes Scottish sub sample: Łab: 28, SNP: 38
  • Options
    @jameskirkup: Farage killing @oflynnmep Vat plan is in character: bad things happen to Ukippers who steal Nigel's limelight. @DouglasCarswell take note
  • Options

- Hollande on the ropes

Is France a two-house system like the UK/USA then?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

I believe there is every prospect. This one is not a shoo-in.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The only way Reckless by Name hasn't ended his political career is if the Men of Kent abandon Labour. Which seems to me the most interesting aspect of this defection....

Will Labour voters embrace Reckless's vision of a low tax, small state UK? I doubt it.
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: Farage ditches @oflynnmep luxury tax. Tensions in Ukip between populist O’Flynn / libertarians Carswell, Reckless etc going 2 be fascinating
  • Options

I was pandering to those Labourites who think Ed will suddenly have a rush of popularity ahead of the election....

I don't. But I don't think it will matter. Labour voters who dislike Milliband can either hold their nose and vote for us or abstain. Tory voters who dislike Cameron can hold their nose or vote UKIP or abstain. Sure Labour will lose votes to UKIP, but in safer seats and on a scale that doesn't dramatically affect the result.

Ultimately the election will come down to who they think is most connected with their reality. And for a lot of people not seeing any signs of economic recovery the Tories campaigning on "didn't we do well" doesn't go down at all well as I'm seeing on the doorstep in what should be Tory areas. Too many PB Tories dismiss voters not crediting them with economic recovery as ungrateful. The reality is that for large swathes of the country there hasn't been economic recovery. That you don't get this is why regardless of Ed the Tories will lose.
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, hmm. If he failed, would it likely be a Con hold/win, or fall to another party?

On tensions between Farage et al: this may prove serious in the long-term but, ironically, I suspect the party will hold together probably better than the ill-disciplined Conservatives and with more enthusiasm than Miliband-led Labour (and a good deal more optimism than the Lib Dems).

Until the election, at least.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Summary of last week:

Labour's loss to UKIP will be precisely ZERO. I am including Rotherham, Doncaster etc. Notwithstanding what happens in Heywood on Oct. 9.

Yes, Labour may not win some seats like Thurrock, South Thanet etc. In fact, it is difficult to predict which party will win those seats.
    I agree with that. The point I am making this morning is that on current trends Labour is on track to lose far more seats to the SNP than the Tories are to UKIP.
  • Options
    Good morning everyone.

I haven't been able to follow the last few threads, exciting though they must have been. I've got a relatively unimportant question to ask: what happens to Reckless's position on the Home Affairs Select Committee? I assume he'll continue to sit in it until the by-election is called?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

- Hollande on the ropes

Is France a two-house system like the UK/USA then?
    yes Assemblee Nationale ( parlt ) and Senat ( upper house )
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Good morning, everyone.

Yes. He's not the most 'personally' liked MP.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

But his defection demonstrates his intellectual inadequacy. The evidence is plain to see that there will never be significant public support, let alone a plurality, for the kind of ultra-Thatcherite, hard right, slash the state, lower taxes, back to the 50s kind of Britain that he seems to support. He has mistaken UKIP's recent successes as evidence of broad support for that kind of prospectus, rather than being the product of protest votes having nowhere else to go.

It doesn't matter who thinks what or who polls how nationally, Reckless is optimizing for Rochester and Strood.
    "Back to the 50s" and "Thatcherite" don't compute. The 1950s was the post-war consensus which led us into managed decline, and Thatcherism reversed that.
  • Options
    DavidL. Fair point. I don't want Cameron throwing red meat at his right wing either. I was referring more to Cameron's personal relationships with those on the right. Blair was able to blithely disregard the hard left, because they had nowhere to go and knew that Blair commanded total support within the party. Cameron does not have that luxury. There are many reports of Cameron being off-hand and dismissive, which is unnecessary. The fact that his hands are tied by coalition does not justify him not listening and explaining to those on the right who wish it weren't so. He could have done more to address legitimate concerns about the lack of progress son EU negotiations, without endlessly conceding ground to the headbangers.

Ultimately I would far rather Cameron focus on the big issues of state, but most of all I want the Conservatives to still be in government after the next election (either alone or in coalition) and at the moment the biggest threat to that is the splintering of the right.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @JosiasJessop
    I would assume not? As he has resigned from Parliament, it would be unlikely for him to retain any posts granted by it?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The current National opinion polls swings would give this as the Rochester & Strood result:

CON 43

LAB 34

LD 6

GRN 3

UKIP 14 [ there was an English Democrat in 2010.]

However, R & S is in KENT. The question is how much UKIP will gain from Tories and Labour [ over and above the swings already built in the National polls ] and that will decide if the Tories, UKIP or indeed Labour wins !

Tories should still be favourite in my opinion.

• Options
    @LadPolitics: Rochester & Strood byelection odds:
    2/5 UKIP
    3/1 Cons
    8/1 Labour
  • Options
    Socrates, I am referring to two different elements of that particular worldview. Thatcherite in macro-economics, but back to the 50s in terms of cultural and social unity. It's a bit glib, as any attempt to distill one person's views is bound to be.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mr Reckless says not.

"I haven’t really been asked the outright questions point blank that have required me to say something that wasn’t true."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/09/mark-reckless-the-row-in-witney-that-made-me-lose-my-faith-in-david-cameron/
    Sophistry.

Some of his tweets were pretty definitive.
  • Options
    Flockers_pb [9.10am] May I congratulate you for managing to suggest in the same post that the Tories both could and could not win an election if they positioned themselves further to the right?

I see also that they propose to scrap the jobs of street sweepers and cleaners etc and replace them with unemployable youths. That should improve the quality of service no end. God help those who have to supervise them.

And I see that they propose to cut the "maximum benefit" per family from £26k to £23k. This strongly suggests that they have no idea what it ought to be and are plucking numbers out of the air to see who, if anyone cheers them. I look forward to the Tory Peebies' explanation of why it's right in principle that the "maximum benefit" should pay no attention to family size.

Finally I am heartened to see that Ashcroft's poll is more consistent with my Tory 10 point lead on Election Day than is Nick Palmer's doorstep experience. Well, actually I'm disheartened too, but mainly by the likes of Chuka Umunna - can't say what I think of him, there are laws against libel.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Charles
    Economical with the actualité?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

You never know but presumably there will be a reasonable-sized move from Lab and Lib to UKIP and he should be able to take at least half the Con vote, so he should be able to hold on in the by-election unless he's very unlucky with the way the vote splits.

What's going to be harder for him is holding it in 2015, when the party of government is at stake. If Lab can make second place this time they may be able to snaffe it then.
  • Options

DavidL. Fair point. I don't want Cameron throwing red meat at his right wing either. I was referring more to Cameron's personal relationships with those on the right. Blair was able to blithely disregard the hard left, because they had nowhere to go and knew that Blair commanded total support within the party. Cameron does not have that luxury. There are many reports of Cameron being off-hand and dismissive, which is unnecessary. The fact that his hands are tied by coalition does not justify him not listening and explaining to those on the right who wish it weren't so. He could have done more to address legitimate concerns about the lack of progress son EU negotiations, without endlessly conceding ground to the headbangers.

Ultimately I would far rather Cameron focus on the big issues of state, but most of all I want the Conservatives to still be in government after the next election (either alone or in coalition) and at the moment the biggest threat to that is the splintering of the right.

Cameron "offhand and dismissive"? It may well be unnecessary but it gets our own dear AudreyAnne all of a bother. It's an ill wind, as they say...

• Options
    Flockers_pbFlockers_pb Posts: 204
    edited September 2014
    Innocent Abroad, quite apart from the fact I didn't post at 9.10am, I have no idea what you're referring to, but I certainly haven't said what you have attributed to me.
  • Options

Ultimately the election will come down to who they think is most connected with their reality. And for a lot of people not seeing any signs of economic recovery the Tories campaigning on "didn't we do well" doesn't go down at all well as I'm seeing on the doorstep in what should be Tory areas. Too many PB Tories dismiss voters not crediting them with economic recovery as ungrateful. The reality is that for large swathes of the country there hasn't been economic recovery. That you don't get this is why regardless of Ed the Tories will lose.
    People know full well that on the economy, the worst that can be laid at the Tories' door is that they haven't found the answers to fixing Labour's buggered economy quickly enough. But most give them credit for having made a reasonable effort.

Unemployment in particular has been the dog that didn't bark. The Coalition has robbed Labour of its expected 2015 election slogan by already providing "Work For The Workers!!" Jobs was the word not heard last week in Manchester. All we had was Ed going on about more apprenticeships - something that this Government has turned around after Labour singularly neglected them in the period 1997 - 2010, preferring instead to slot them into the public sector. A public sector it was hopelessly unable to fund.

When it comes to the economy, you are going to be disappointed if you think Labour owns connection to reality. The reality is that Labour has a broken business model. And the people who suffer every time they trash the economy are not the rich, or even the squeezed middle. It is the poor. That is who Labour hurts every time.

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Charles
    Economical with the actualité?

No Armstrong was in a very different position (although I think he was the original 'economic with the truth' comment rather than the Franglais version)

He was talking about government and economics. The same holds true for diplomacy. We elect the government ro represent the nation's interests. Sometimes that involves doing stuff we wouldn't want to do (or know) ourselves.

Reckless lied, disembled, or if you want to be charitable, practiced sophistry (lying by misdirection)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Mr Reckless says not.

Sophistry.

There was a line in an old Callan episode I watched the other day: "in addition to smoking and swearing, I also tell lies". Tbh, I do not think many voters will be astonished that politicians are not always to be trusted.
  • Options

Charles said:

Mr Reckless says not.

Sophistry.

There was a line in an old Callan episode I watched the other day: "in addition to smoking and swearing, I also tell lies". Tbh, I do not think many voters will be astonished that politicians are not always to be trusted.
    Callan was a cracking show.

I think there's a Denzel Washington film version of The Equalizer out soon.
  • Options
    For the record, much as I dislike him, I don't think you can criticise Reckless for denying his imminent defection until the point he defected.

His sophistry pales into insignificance compared to that of David Miliband when asked if he supported Gordon Brown: "I support the government led by Gordon Brown". Now that was truly excruciating.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Socrates, I am referring to two different elements of that particular worldview. Thatcherite in macro-economics, but back to the 50s in terms of cultural and social unity. It's a bit glib, as any attempt to distill one person's views is bound to be.

Because they famously supported gay marriage in the 1950s, as Reckless does?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The current National opinion polls swings would give this as the Rochester & Strood result:

CON 43

LAB 34

LD 6

GRN 3

UKIP 14 [ there was an English Democrat in 2010.]

However, R & S is in KENT. The question is how much UKIP will gain from Tories and Labour [ over and above the swings already built in the National polls ] and that will decide if the Tories, UKIP or indeed Labour wins !

Tories should still be favourite in my opinion.

If Labour is truly to form a Government in 2015, then the 8/1 on them is where the money is. They should be coming through the middle of a hopelessly split Tory/UKIP vote - something like 35%-30%-30%...... A failure by Labour shows just how much UKIP is hurting them too.

• Options
    DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Summary of last week:

I agree with that. The point I am making this morning is that on current trends Labour is on track to lose far more seats to the SNP than the Tories are to UKIP.
    Yes, that maybe correct. But you are not into account Labour gains from the Tories and the Liberal Democrats.

Just a simple fact: 650 seats. 326 to get a majority

Let's say Labour wins [ 35 seats or even 30 ]. Remember FPTP exists in Scotland too !

Instead of needing to win 68 seats, Labour would need to win 75 [ 80 ]seats !

• Options

Charles said:

Mr Reckless says not.

Sophistry.

No, but it says a lot about the character of the man.

I think Carswell's an idiot with his head in the clouds. But he's an honourable idiot.

Reckless lied to his colleagues and actively sought to harm them. That's a bad leaver in my book.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Mr. Dave, there is indeed (I've seen it advertised a bit on Youtube).
  • Options

Innocent Abroad, quite apart from the fact I didn't post at 9.10am, I have no idea what you're referring to, but I certainly haven't said what you have attributed to me.

Typo for 9.19am - my apologies. As to the substance, I refer to that is not to say that a more right-wing leader could not lead the Conservatives to victory in the future, and govern better and there will never be significant public support, let alone a plurality, for the kind of ultra-Thatcherite, hard right, slash the state, lower taxes, back to the 50s kind of Britain

I suppose you see a space between the two which you regard as some kind of Nirvana. That is your entitlement.
This discussion has been closed.