Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-Mori becomes the latest pollster to show the indyref

SystemSystem Posts: 11,730
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-Mori becomes the latest pollster to show the indyref being too close to call

The changes are since the last Ipsos-Mori poll which was conducted at the start of August, it was before any of the debates, so it is coming into line with the other pollsters, given their track record at the 2011 Holyrood election, it will cause great alarm at Better Together, this is a phone poll, and also has the same lead the ICM phone had last week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135
    Come on Oldies, win this one for No. Hope for No, No hope!
  • Options
    Second! like the separatists!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The campaign in microcosm...

@jimwaterson: When @sirajdatoo went to report on pro-indy event http://t.co/lWMQnu6QsT the BBC were turned away and told "just fuck off, not welcome here"
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I see someone has put in 46% for turnout. A tad pesimmistic methinks!
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Today Ukraine. Tomorrow Scotland, purging the 'Noers'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29239447
  • Options
    Gordon Brown:

youtube.com/watch?v=J39bBV7CBJk&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    My prediction: the same as the spreadsheet, unsurprisingly.

Yes 46.51%, Turnout 83.35%.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Is this the 'herding' thing that Nate Silver speaks of? Read a lot since I read that so can barely recall much.

I know we teachers get big holidays blah blah but I think right now I'd swap them to be able to take the next two days off.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,739
    It's been mentioned before, and you (TSE) mention it above - the GOTV operations potentially makeing the difference. It occurs to me though that that might not make a difference - a good GOTV operation works best in a low turnout election as what you are seeking to achieve is differential turnout. (If only 30% turnout, then if you can get 45% of your voters to turnout then that gives you 1.5 times the votes that you 'should' have and so a likely win). In an election with such high turnout, by definition surely differential turnout will make much less difference? Obviously when it is as close as it is predicted to be then clearly every little counts, but are there really people on either side who would otherwise 'forget' to vote and have to be reminded? Maybe I am missing something, but I am not sure what.
  • Options
    AllyMAllyM Posts: 260

Gordon Brown:

It was really some speech.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167
    Scott_P said:

The campaign in microcosm...

@jimwaterson: When @sirajdatoo went to report on pro-indy event http://t.co/lWMQnu6QsT the BBC were turned away and told "just fuck off, not welcome here"

So everyone has to let journalists interview them in a very sensitive position (just look at those films - I couldn't bear to finish them)? When you have no idea how they would present them? Would you want a BBC chap at the doctor's when your trousers were down and your prostate was being examined? Which I'd prefer far more to that stuff.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    I pressed the wrong button on betfair app and laid my YES position at 5.5 by mistake... How's my luck??!!! Laid the best price! Tried to have it back and it's come into 4.7

Groans, what an idiot!!
  • Options
    Richard_Nabavi Posts: 2,824
    3:38PM
    Perhaps the same 750 people are responding to all the pollsters!
    Flag Quote · Off Topic

The fellow from Survation hinted he thought that might not be far from the truth on the Daily Politics
  • Options
    It'll be Yes by between 2% and 3%. The Union is coming to a sad, unnecessary end.

Westminster came too late to the party and allowed Yes to set the agenda. The Devomax move was a sign of total panic.

Scotland will be an angry place for a long, long time. The SNP's lies will be exposed at home, while abroad the warm welcome that many lefty Yessers expect from their "progressive brothers and sisters" will not be forthcoming. Nationalists everywhere, though, will be delighted.
  • Options
    AllyM said:

Gordon Brown:

If Brown had found that in 2010 he might still be PM - I hope he stands as an MSP and forces them all to raise their game.....

• Options
    Regarding it being 52-48 and no seeming too short in the betting, I made the mistake of thinking Ken Livingstone was massive value at 7/4 ish partly because he was on about 46 in the polls in 2008... Massive rick by me which cost me a grand!!!

Back in those days I was such a lefty class warrior, I seriously didn't think London would elect someone who said balderdash and piffle!!

That didn't help the bet and I paid through my pocket... A grand on Ken Livingstone I must have been mental, and lax with money!

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    I'm surprised Yes has shortened this afternoon.

All the polls over the last 24 hours say the same thing.

Four polls 48/52, one poll 49/51.

OK, it's not comfortable but it seems pretty unlikely they are ALL wrong enough that Yes could really be ahead.

Plus, on balance, it seems more likely that people switch to No at the last minute in the polling booth.

In my opinion the odds should be Yes 6, No 1.2.
  • Options
    Someone's predicted a 95% turnout. The experts always say that a turnout of over 90% is pretty much impossible, due to factors like dead people still being on the electoral register.
  • Options
    I saw this and was amazed:

"Shetland could opt to leave an independent Scotland, Carmichael says
    Oil-rich Shetland could opt to leave Scotland if it votes for independence, Alistair Carmichael, the Scottish secretary says. He’s been speaking to my colleague Esther Addley, and she’s filed this.

In an interview with the Guardian, Carmichael said if the islands were to vote strongly “no” but the Scottish national vote was a narrow yes, then a “conversation about Shetland’s position and the options that might be open to it” would begin.

The Lib Dem MP, who represents Orkney and Shetland in Westminster and has been secretary of state or Scotland in the coalition government since last October, said those options might include the islands modelling themselves on the Isle of Man, which is a self-governing Crown dependency, or on the Faroe Islands, which are an autonomous country within the Danish realm.

Asked if he was suggesting that Alex Salmond should not necessarily take for granted that oilfields off Shetland will belong to Scotland in the event of a yes vote, he said: “That would be one of the things that we would want to discuss. I wouldn’t like to predict at this stage where the discussions would go.”

This has been speculated about in the media & indeed on this site. But this is a semi-official comment from a government minister. I fear it may backfire very badly.
  • Options

AllyM said:

Gordon Brown:

If Brown had found that in 2010 he might still be PM - I hope he stands as an MSP and forces them all to raise their game.....

I concur. I'm not a Labour voter but, Gordon at Holyrood, in whatever Scotland, is the sort of person who can really shake it up.
  • Options
    Just put another £50 on No, in a moment of madness, perhaps.
  • Options

AllyM said:

Gordon Brown:

Maybe part of the difference was that as Prime Minister, he submitted to the image gurus who tried to turn him into Tony Blair.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I'm surprised Yes has shortened this afternoon.

All the polls over the last 24 hours say the same thing.

Four polls 48/52, one poll 49/51.

OK, it's not comfortable but it seems pretty unlikely they are ALL wrong enough that Yes could really be ahead.

Plus, on balance, it seems more likely that people switch to No at the last minute in the polling booth.

In my opinion the odds should be Yes 6, No 1.2.

I think yourself and @southamobserver should have a bet and save the betfair commission or bookie overround!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Someone's predicted a 95% turnout. The experts always say that a turnout of over 90% is pretty much impossible, due to factors like dead people still being on the electoral register.

Ah, so that explains why even places with compulsory voting get turnout numbers of 90 and so on. Cheers.
  • Options
    jam2809 said:

Oil-rich Shetland could opt to leave Scotland if it votes for independence, Alistair Carmichael, the Scottish secretary says. He’s been speaking to my colleague Esther Addley, and she’s filed this.

In an interview with the Guardian, Carmichael said if the islands were to vote strongly “no” but the Scottish national vote was a narrow yes, then a “conversation about Shetland’s position and the options that might be open to it” would begin.

The Lib Dem MP, who represents Orkney and Shetland in Westminster and has been secretary of state or Scotland in the coalition government since last October, said those options might include the islands modelling themselves on the Isle of Man, which is a self-governing Crown dependency, or on the Faroe Islands, which are an autonomous country within the Danish realm.

Asked if he was suggesting that Alex Salmond should not necessarily take for granted that oilfields off Shetland will belong to Scotland in the event of a yes vote, he said: “That would be one of the things that we would want to discuss. I wouldn’t like to predict at this stage where the discussions would go.”

This has been speculated about in the media & indeed on this site. But this is a semi-official comment from a government minister. I fear it may backfire very badly.

This is talked about quite frequently. Shetland is that far North to boot, it often feels little connection to the mainland.

Carmichael, is not "bluffing".

Ps; "bluffing" added to the list.
  • Options

It'll be Yes by between 2% and 3%. The Union is coming to a sad, unnecessary end.

Westminster came too late to the party and allowed Yes to set the agenda. The Devomax move was a sign of total panic.

Scotland will be an angry place for a long, long time. The SNP's lies will be exposed at home, while abroad the warm welcome that many lefty Yessers expect from their "progressive brothers and sisters" will not be forthcoming. Nationalists everywhere, though, will be delighted.

If you're right I reckon Cameron will resign on the steps of Downing Street at about 2:30pm on Friday afternoon.

That's in 44 and a half hour's time.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,248
    AllyM said:

AllyM said:

Gordon Brown:

I concur. I'm not a Labour voter but, Gordon at Holyrood, in whatever Scotland, is the sort of person who can really shake it up.
    He is a lying has been fake.
  • Options
    A question for PB which is probably stupid - if there is a YES vote, do the Scottish MPs in Westminster no longer "count" at the GE2015?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    FPT
    AndyJS said:

Anorak said:

49/51 and still trading at 5.

Suggests gamblers are utterly stupid, or that they know full well how the DKs are going to break.

If virtually every poll puts No ahead, maybe that indicates No is going to win, however narrowly.
    True - the margin of error in a poll-of-polls will be a lot smaller, but not that small. Plus, given the methodological similarities across all the polls, there could easily be a common fault (1992 and all that).

Given the above, the price is still out of kilter (geddit) with the polls. In my opinion.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AllyM said:

AllyM said:

Gordon Brown:

?

Scaremongering.
  • Options

A question for PB which is probably stupid - if there is a YES vote, do the Scottish MPs in Westminster no longer "count" at the GE2015?

Many people might not wish them to, but my understanding is they would. Until formal independence is declared in 2016, the people of Scotland are deserving of representation at Westminster.
  • Options
    My feeling is that a narrow 'no' lead without 'don't knows' at this point translates into a sizeable 'no' win overall. This is for two reasons:
    1. Some postal votes will have been cast before a late move towards 'yes' - not perhaps enormously so, but enough
    2. If I correctly remember the endless poring over figures on US elections they do over at Daily Kos, 'don't knows' tend to break against change. If they were going to be converted to throw an incumbent out, or approve a proposition, they already would have been.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AllyM said:

jam2809 said:

This is talked about quite frequently. Shetland is that far North to boot, it often feels little connection to the mainland.

Watch that video I linked. It makes a very convincing case that Scotland will be completely fucked by independence, thanks to the currency problems, inherited debt, deficits, etc

Why would the oil rich Shetland islands want to be shackled to this madness?
    Will do mate.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AllyM said:

jam2809 said:

Watch that video I linked. It makes a very convincing case that Scotland will be completely fucked by independence, thanks to the currency problems, inherited debt, deficits, etc

And for an area which has voted in Liberal MPs consistently since 1950, by huge margins, they clearly are a little different from most of the rest of us in these islands.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Many people might not wish them to, but my understanding is they would. Until formal independence is declared in 2016, the people of Scotland are deserving of representation at Westminster.
    Thanks for the answer - so MPs would canvas for a one-year term an MP from 2015-16? It seems pointless - may as well carry over votes from 2010 for 1-year?
  • Options
    Shadsy's £50 note must be getting quite worn by now. It's the same one he lent me after the Euro competition, and received back after UKIP didn't reach 30% at Newark.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

So you think the RUK would countenance Scots being on both sides during any negotiations?

Unlikely IMO.

• Options
    jam2809 said:

I wonder if he worries at all. He seems to have been semi-detaching himself from the coalition since his teatime at Jurassic Park public debate at Nicola Sturgeon. First he was talking about retiring at the next election and then joining the Yes side if they'd have him after a Yes (I forget if he was seeking to be on the indy negotiating team). Plus he's one of the very few LDs in a reasonably secure seat (given the VI polling for even Danny Alexander's seat). Could be be trying to find himself a different bolthole in the event of a Yes? It's not as if he has much to lose by upsetting Messrs Cameron and Clegg in that event.

• Options
    Still can't fathom how UKlite could be taken seriously if Scots withdraw from the British Army - 80% of the SAS are Scots - simply because they are hard ba**ards (torture toleration, general suicidal/bravery etc).

If the Scots win, Cameron should resign as it is because he is so out of touch - more interested in a lol text message from a newspaper editor than people's lives...
  • Options
    Cheers for posting that video, Mr. T.
  • Options
    AllyM said:

SeanT said:

AllyM said:

jam2809 said:

Will do mate.
    I agree. But I am just amazed that a minister just said that. Idle speculation on this site or elsewhere is one thing, this is quite another. I am sure it was planned & this may well prove to be a major misjudgment. Interesting to see the YES % in the Shetland's tomorrow...
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 5
    edited September 2014
    AllyM said:

It's not just the oil that's in Shetland. Fishing is even more important...have a read of this:

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/letters/9231-a-fighting-chance

It's very, very unlikely that the SNP will be able to negotiate an opt out from the standard EU fisheries policy. This would be a disaster for Shetland's economy. So after a yes vote, Shetland has 3 options:

1. Stay with Scotland. Lose the Fishing industry to the EU.
    2. Go independent from EU/UK. Uncertain how much fishing territory or oil territory they'd keep.
    3. Vote to stay with the UK. This would keep the UK's opt-out for fishing for them, and as a bonus, the UK would have lots of claim to lots of the oil off Shetland. Goodbye 'geographic share of the oil', and Scotland's economy. I'm sure Shetland would be rewarded with a mother-of-all Barnett-type agreement.

I know which way I'd vote if I was Shetland...
  • Options
    Put this on previous thread and then noticed a new one had just started.

If there is a "Yes" win I'll offer a bet to anyone who wants to take it - despite the "Yes" propaganda that if they win there will be no more Tory governments ever in Scotland, and the even dafter suggestion from some quarters that there will be no more Labour governments in RUK, I will bet £50 that

1) within 20 years there will be a new government in Scotland which includes, possibly as part of a coalition, ministers who are recognisably centre-right (e.g. either members of whatever Scottish Conservative Party or it's successor organisation is called, or of some new party with a platform which is pro business, pro small government, and pro low taxes and light regulation,) and

2) unfortunately within the same timeframe there will also be a government in RUK which includes Labour ministers.

Odds negotiable - I'll start by suggesting evens but I think the probability of those two things both happening within 20 years given a "Yes" is higher than 50:50 so will consider a reasonable proposal for odds reflecting this.

If the person taking the bet with me is from Scotland I'm willing to consider a bet denominated in Euros, as if there is a "Yes" vote you won't be using the pound in 20 years' time.

Party support changes - within my lifetime there was a Conservative PM in the UK who had majority support in Scotland and there have been Labour governments with a majority of the vote in England. It is entirely possible, especially in the different environment which will exist after Friday whichever way the vote goes, that support might change round again.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Thanks for the answer - so MPs would canvas for a one-year term an MP from 2015-16? It seems pointless - may as well carry over votes from 2010 for 1-year?
    Nobody knows. There has been talk of emergency legislation to extend this parliament, or legislation to exclude Scottish MPs from Westminster, or a 'gentlemans agreement' whereby they would not vote on England-only matters.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AllyM said:

jam2809 said:

Because they get a few miles of water if they are not and so would be unshackled and skint , eating grass in a few months.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

AllyM said:

jam2809 said:

Because they get a few miles of water if they are not and so would be unshackled and skint , eating grass in a few months.
    Arf. Ah, the old 12 mile rule applies to everyone but Scotland. (And Independence too).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

jam2809 said:

I wonder if he worries at all. He seems to have been semi-detaching himself from the coalition since his teatime at Jurassic Park public debate at Nicola Sturgeon. First he was talking about retiring at the next election and then joining the Yes side if they'd have him after a Yes (I forget if he was seeking to be on the indy negotiating team). Plus he's one of the very few LDs in a reasonably secure seat (given the VI polling for even Danny Alexander's seat). Could be be trying to find himself a different bolthole in the event of a Yes? It's not as if he has much to lose by upsetting Messrs Cameron and Clegg in that event.

He has already said he will resign office immediately after a YES vote and join the Scottish negotiation team.
  • Options

kle4 said:

So you think the RUK would countenance Scots being on both sides during any negotiations?

Unlikely IMO.

I doubt any MPs representing Scotland would be part of any negotiations, being taken care of by the bureaucrats on the advice of PM Miliband I imagine, but until the formal split those MPs will have some constituency stuff to take care of until 2016.

Although can they not just take care of their constituents but be abstentionist and not turn up to Westminster?
  • Options
    Martin said:

AllyM said:

It's not just the oil that's in Shetland. Fishing is even more important...have a read of this:

It's very, very unlikely that the SNP will be able to negotiate an opt out from the standard EU fisheries policy. This would be a disaster for Shetland's economy. So after a yes vote, Shetland has 3 options:

2. Go independent from EU/UK. Uncertain how much fishing territory or oil territory they'd keep.
    3. Vote to stay with the UK. This would keep the UK's opt-out for fishing for them, and as a bonus, the UK would have lots of claim to lots of the oil off Shetland. Goodbye 'geographic share of the oil', and Scotland's economy. I'm sure Shetland would be rewarded with a mother-of-all Barnett-type agreement.

Fishing would be 1% of the economy if they had economic rights to the oil.
  • Options
    Martin said:

AllyM said:

Funnily, I was talking about the importance of fishing to Shetland with someone the other day.

I can't recall why it was relevant but, I felt the need to bring it up nonetheless.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

kle4 said:

Nobody knows. There has been talk of emergency legislation to extend this parliament, or legislation to exclude Scottish MPs from Westminster, or a 'gentlemans agreement' whereby they would not vote on England-only matters.
    What I don't get is who agreed that Scotland would become independent in 2016 in the event of a yes event. I would be saying you are out of the door in May 2015
  • Options
    AllyM said:

SeanT said:

AllyM said:

jam2809 said:

Will do mate.
    Be better watching paint dry
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AllyM said:

SeanT said:

AllyM said:

jam2809 said:

Will do mate.
    Be better watching paint dry
    Or watching turnips grow? :)

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited September 2014
    No were doomed the moment Roger said no was going to win, and Gordon Brown started campaigning for the Union
  • Options

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

What I don't get is who agreed that Scotland would become independent in 2016 in the event of a yes event. I would be saying you are out of the door in May 2015
    Somethings just take time to sort out, whatever you might want. They could be declared independent within a week but it would be the mother of all clusterf*cks to sort out - for both rUK and iScotland.

The markets on which we all depend for our wealth and security would very much like to see an orderly transition.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Martin said:

AllyM said:

In the case of 2 they'd keep a fuck ton of fishing and oil
    In the case of 3 they'd, in all likelyhood, be classed as an island enclave and jsut get their 12-mile territorial waters, the EEZ would remain Scotlands

Shetlands already has a mother-of-all Barnett type agreement, they get a share of the oil revenue - they have their own Oil Fund unlike the UK as a whole.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

AllyM said:

jam2809 said:

Arf. Ah, the old 12 mile rule applies to everyone but Scotland. (And Independence too).
    How much oil is there 12 miles from Shetland?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Am I alone in thinking of staying up to watch the results come in, even though I have no real stake in whether Scotland is independence or not ?

I live 400 miles away from Scotland and have no real connection with it. If it goes independent, it is not really going to affect me, unless the stock market and other financial markets go into meltdown.

But the stupid thing is that I do care about it. It is a 307 year old union and I think if separation happens, it might not be a good thing for the UK's reputation.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I find him an insufferable sort, not least because economists are wrong all the time but present themselves as certain when they are, admittedly, out on the spot, and he's a particularly bad example, but I did like Paul Krugman's comment the other day:

It would be one thing to make the sober case that independence is worth it despite the economic costs and risks; but the SNP has been claiming that there are no costs and risks, which is just wrong.

The broader Yes campaign and supporters have made more comments along the lines of knowing there could be issues but it being worth it, which is a very respectable position to hold, but it has been frustrating how many in No err too far on the pessimistic side while still accepting Scotland ultimately would do ok, and how many in Yes dismiss any hint of risk as just plain wrong and presenting the opponents as question whether Scotland could be independent, rather than if it should.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/
  • Options
    With a straight binary choice, why do pollsters persist in rounding to the nearest whole number? I appreciate the sampling error argument, but rounding can compound that error and a poll difference might be almost 3% or little more than 1% rather than the headline 2% quoted.
    Is this a requirement of British Polling Council?
  • Options
    AllyM said:

Martin said:

AllyM said:

Funnily, I was talking about the importance of fishing to Shetland with someone the other day.

I can't recall why it was relevant but, I felt the need to bring it up nonetheless.
    The Shetland Islanders must be protected from danger like the Falkland Islanders.
  • Options
    Interesting that Cameron has now dropped to 4/1 to go before year-end with Lads

Yet 16/1 as next to leave the Cabinet with PaddyPower

Cameron - weak, weak, weak
  • Options
    kle4 said:

And I suppose they'll carry on voting on English matters until 2016 as well.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Very true. When this is brought up with Nationalists, they consult their knowledge of international law and say that Shetland would only get an 'enclave' of the oil, 10 miles out or something from their land. As with all Nationalist arguments, I take it with a very large pinch of salt.

Assuming the Nationalists are correct, however, their argument wouldn't stand if Shetland remained part of the rUK. Then, I believe, the drawing of lines around who gets what becomes much more open to debate. I'm sure it would end up in court. But I'm also confident the rUK would get rather a lot more oil than Scotland would want.

Regardless, fishing is currently a major industry in Shetland. Once it becomes clear that the EU isn't going to give Scotland an opt-out from the fisheries policy (which could happen within days), I can easily see a Westminster-backed 'stay with the UK' movement gaining quick momentum.

Actually, I can see such movements springing up in other areas like the Borders. If the UK is divisible, then Scotland is...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    I'm always a little sceptical of economists saying either that all will be well in the best of all possible worlds - which was pretty much what a majority of them were saying pre-2007 - or, conversely, that there will be plagues of locusts and the end of civilization as we know it, which seems to be what they're saying re Scotland.

There will be difficulties of course. But - for reasons which I'm quite willing to expand on if anyone's interested - I do think that if Scotland votes yes, it will be in rUK's interest to have some sort of currency union and to be gracious and generous in its negotiations with Scotland. It is never a good idea to have such a close neighbour in dire straits. It would affect us - possibly badly - were we to do so.

So I think the gloom and doom is both overdone and self-defeating. Britain's USP is stability and a certain sang-froid in the face of problems. So it should treat any decision by Scotland to become independent with civility, graciousness and in a spirit of co-operation rather than with hysterical "we're all doomed / you're all doomed" panic and vengefulness.
  • Options

AllyM said:

Martin said:

AllyM said:

The Shetland Islanders must be protected from danger like the Falkland Islanders.
    Aye, maybe that was it! :)
  • Options
    FF42FF42 Posts: 114
    Anorak said:

Martin said:

AllyM said:

The Scottish Government would give Shetland the grandmother, the uncles, cousins and mad Aunt Hattie of a deal to avoid Shetland slipping out of its grasp. Unlike Scotland in its negotiations with the previously insulted Westminster, Shetland will have massive bargaining power and would be sitting very pretty indeed.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

No were doomed the moment Roger said no was going to win

But this was after SO said 'yes' had it in the bag. Not just Scottish independence but also the position of main PB anti-tipster is up for grabs tomorrow.
  • Options
    Mr. 67, I'm also considering whether to stay up.

It'd knacker me for the Singapore practice, though.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

Put this on previous thread and then noticed a new one had just started.

If there is a "Yes" win I'll offer a bet to anyone who wants to take it - I will bet £50 that

1) within 20 years there will be

You're on a foremost betting site asking someone to tie up a £50 stake over 20 years …? Erm where to begin …?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AllyM said:

AllyM said:

Gordon Brown:

As opposed to a lying current fake like Salmond?
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Am I alone in thinking of staying up to watch the results come in, even though I have no real stake in whether Scotland is independence or not ?

I live 400 miles away from Scotland and have no real connection with it. If it goes independent, it is not really going to affect me, unless the stock market and other financial markets go into meltdown.

But the stupid thing is that I do care about it. It is a 307 year old union and I think if separation happens, it might not be a good thing for the UK's reputation.

I'm thinking about it, but I don't know if I can manage it as I've been under the weather and so pretty exhausted already. I would argue that if someone does care about the Union, they do have a stake in it, as it is about self-identity. My hurt at the diminishment of my British identity will not influence any Scots voters, nor should it, but it is still real.
  • Options
    If the Scots win, the CEO of Wetherspoon's saying beer would get cheaper was the swing factor - that was more powerful than any Sun headline
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    SeanT said:

Seriously. Watch this. It's long, detailed, but blood-chilling.

Scotland would have to move from 5% deficit to 5% surplus. Or face default. Savage austerity would ensue, possibly hyperinflation and mass unemployment.

Britain - or north Britain - may be about to do the stupidest thing in the history of capitalism.

The thing that I've found most striking about the whole independence question is that there are many organisations saying it is economically a bad idea, and some saying it is in the balance, but there doesn't seem to be any credible* organisation, business, or economist, saying "it's a great idea, Scotland will soon be filthy rich". Nobody.

Even the Euro had some seriously heavy weight fans. Scottish independence seems to have got the thumbs down from every serious economic commentator.

* I say credible because there are some incredible commentators and organisations closely tied to YES saying stuff that frankly makes them look stupid.
  • Options
    Martin said:

Anorak said:

Very true. When this is brought up with Nationalists, they consult their knowledge of international law and say that Shetland would only get an 'enclave' of the oil, 10 miles out or something from their land. As with all Nationalist arguments, I take it with a very large pinch of salt.

Assuming the Nationalists are correct, however, their argument wouldn't stand if Shetland remained part of the rUK. Then, I believe, the drawing of lines around who gets what becomes much more open to debate. I'm sure it would end up in court. But I'm also confident the rUK would get rather a lot more oil than Scotland would want.
    You have that the wrong way round. A fully independent Shetland gets it's equitable share of equidistant EEZ - giving it a massive wedge of the oil and fishing rights. A Shetland as part of the UK would be an island enclave and only get it's 12 mile territorial waters.

This is the same body of law that's being used to guarantee the Falklands isles so the rUK would be in choppy waters if it wanted to rock the boat.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited September 2014
    You should all stay up for the results.

I'm doing the live results threads, and there will be some subtle pop music references in them

I've managed to segue in a reference to Rick Astley!
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Still can't fathom how UKlite could be taken seriously if Scots withdraw from the British Army - 80% of the SAS are Scots

No they're not.

Also the Scottish are unable to man their existing infantry commitments and have to fill the gaps with Fijians. They can't get enough recruits due to the poor standards of health and fitness of the young.
  • Options
    Current Banned List post Referendum:

Scaremongering
    Bluffing
    Turnip
    Momentum
    Knife-Edge
    #Indyref

More always welcome.
  • Options
    Re staying up for the vote - My plan was to stay up until the early-ish hours, but I've been a bit scared of doing that since going to bed at the "I'm calling it, it's President Kerry" moment in 2004.
  • Options

Anorak said:

kle4 said:

I thought Yes proposed it as a target date in order to sort out the legal difficulties - or at least the most important ones - and it was part of the agreement between the governments of the UK and Scotland which also set the referendum date.
  • Options
    The only polling that has been done on Orkeny/Shetland intentions post independence had the choice between staying with an independent Scotland or forming a fully independent country of their own. Sticking with Scotland was 80%+.
  • Options
    Neil said:

But this was after SO said 'yes' had it in the bag. Not just Scottish independence but also the position of main PB anti-tipster is up for grabs tomorrow.
    I still think we should be backing a tie in the referendum, 50% for both sides.
  • Options
    "Chief Counting Officer Mary Pitcaithly admitted she would be "slightly nervous" on the big day.
    "I just want everybody to have a really good experience on polling day," she said. "No impediments to voting, everything goes smoothly when they turn up to vote. And then we get an accurate result that everybody can trust.""

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-scotland-29233956
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398

Neil said:

I still think we should be backing a tie in the referendum, 50% for both sides.
    What happens if the winning margin is less than say 50 votes? Presumably there won't be many spoiled ballot papers but any irregularities could be a problem.
  • Options
    Chatting with one of my production staff who mentioned that his mom was off to see John Reid tonight and that the hall was going to be packed out with over 100 voters. One of the benefits that the No campaign has is the number of heavy hitters it can call on. This is North Lanarkshire one of the key battlegrounds.

Another of my staff was chatting and his view was that no-one is standing up and shouting about voting No but they just know it needs to be done. There is a perception that the Yes campaign have hijacked Scottish nationalism for their own personal agenda.

Off to collect my son and drag him to the polls. His 3 other flat mates who are all Scottish born students are not voting. I am not sure we can take the high postal vote turnout as an indication of the same for in person. Maybe Nick is right with the - 15% estimate.

• Options
    glw said:

SeanT said:

Seriously. Watch this. It's long, detailed, but blood-chilling.

Scotland would have to move from 5% deficit to 5% surplus. Or face default. Savage austerity would ensue, possibly hyperinflation and mass unemployment.

Britain - or north Britain - may be about to do the stupidest thing in the history of capitalism.

The thing that I've found most striking about the whole independence question is that there are many organisations saying it is economically a bad idea, and some saying it is in the balance, but there doesn't seem to be any credible* organisation, business, or economist, saying "it's a great idea, Scotland will soon be filthy rich". Nobody.

Even the Euro had some seriously heavy weight fans. Scottish independence seems to have got the thumbs down from every serious economic commentator.

* I say credible because there are some incredible commentators and organisations closely tied to YES saying stuff that frankly makes them look stupid.
    How long before an independent Scotland, goes completely and utterly tits up, and gets out the begging bowl?
  • Options

Interesting that Cameron has now dropped to 4/1 to go before year-end with Lads

Yet 16/1 as next to leave the Cabinet with PaddyPower

Cameron - weak, weak, weak

Both bad bets, surely? If this is predicated on a yes vote, then at 4/1 it would be better simply to back yes, and at 16/1 he'd surely be beaten to resignation by ministers like Charmichael or Alexander who do not have to nominate a successor.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm always a little sceptical of economists saying either that all will be well in the best of all possible worlds - which was pretty much what a majority of them were saying pre-2007 - or, conversely, that there will be plagues of locusts and the end of civilization as we know it, which seems to be what they're saying re Scotland.

There will be difficulties of course. But - for reasons which I'm quite willing to expand on if anyone's interested - I do think that if Scotland votes yes, it will be in rUK's interest to have some sort of currency union and to be gracious and generous in its negotiations with Scotland. It is never a good idea to have such a close neighbour in dire straits. It would affect us - possibly badly - were we to do so.

So I think the gloom and doom is both overdone and self-defeating. Britain's USP is stability and a certain sang-froid in the face of problems. So it should treat any decision by Scotland to become independent with civility, graciousness and in a spirit of co-operation rather than with hysterical "we're all doomed / you're all doomed" panic and vengefulness.

Watch that vid. It is absolutely NOT in FUK's interest to have a formal currency union with an unstable, indebted new petro-state like Scotland.

It would endanger OUR economy, not just theirs.

There won't be a formal currency union, not unless Scotland is burning to the ground and we have no choice to prevent starvation, and the price will be Scotland's economic independence.

What a charade it all is.
    We're already in a currency union with Scotland and the UK is not in danger. From the Scottish perspective, they would - effectively - be giving up economic independence, I quite agree. So there is certainly a strong element of a charade about it all. But a financially unstable Scotland is not in our interests anymore than a financially unstable Ireland was, one reason why we lent the Irish several billion a few years ago.

I think we need a cooler appraisal of the position. Ireland used the pound for decades. There are precedents for what might happen tomorrow in these islands and the consequences were not quite as catastrophic - nor quite as rosy - as everyone is making out. Keeping calm and thinking things through is what's needed.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

The only polling that has been done on Orkeny/Shetland intentions post independence had the choice between staying with an independent Scotland or forming a fully independent country of their own. Sticking with Scotland was 80%+.

Were they offered the option of joining the FUK?
    http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/7203-northern-isles-are-scottish-say-islanders

Alistair seems to be accurate. But what would be the point of rejoining the UK? The enclave issue would occur, and they'd end up paying lots of taxes to London.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    Well, whatever else happens, this is a fascinating referendum. It's not often we get the opportunity to see an entire country apparently contemplating inflicting serious economic harm on themselves, despite numerous warnings from many disinterested parties:

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/scotland-and-snp-fooling-yourselves-and.html

I particularly liked this comment, by someone called John Boyd:

Scotland's taxation revenue without oil isn't going to be able to sustain its current spending within the UK, even ignoring any other issue (currency, unfavourable demographic trends, short-term economic hits of creating a new country, benefits of pooling resources, etc.) Scotland's revenue with oil is barely able to sustain current spending as it is if production stays at the level it was at last year, for instance.

So any long-term argument largely rests on issues that have nothing to do with independence - namely hoping an as yet unelected government will pursue policies capable of compensating for all of these negatives. The underlying structure of the economy would indicate that independence is in no way in Scotland's interest, but we're witnessing a kind of conga line into poverty being whipped up by SNP politicians (the only people who we can be certain will actually benefit from a Yes vote materially)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Alistair said:

Nope. It was a telephone poll as well so wasted opportunity there.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/uncategorized/46679/first-ministers-question-in-us/
  • Options
    I think a GE2015 that is swung one way by Labour Scottish MPs would be a tricky one - I would expect Clegg to side with the party with the largest majority in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. After all, the Scottish MPs would be stepping down in 2016 anyway...

Weirdly I expect that Salmond would be quite an autocrat were he to realize his dream of becoming President of Scotland - something akin to Putin....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

AllyM said:

jam2809 said:

Yes I agree. It would be ludicrous for a relatively small, oil-rich land, previously part of a much bigger, successful country, to secede.
  • Options
    I am sure that if the NO campaign offered some free Buckfast for voting NO, that they would easily win.
  • Options
    FF42FF42 Posts: 114
    Cyclefree said:

I predict the UK government will want a clean break achieved in the quickest time possible. Even if a currency union was thought to be ultimately in the rUK's interest, they won't want to introduce any complications into the negotiations. I think they may even accept Vanguard/Trident being parked in the US from Day 1 of independence simply to eliminate any distractions the Scottish team could bring into the negotiations. The negotiations will simply be a carve up of assets and debts and an agreement about pensions. They may throw in a Common Travel Area if the Scottish team play nice.

Alex Salmond's insults and threats are empty. I say that as someone from the "other side"
  • Options
    SeanT said:

hucks67 said:

Yes, it affects you. It really really does.

It will be BAD for us economically, it will probably be really BAD for Scotland, and it could be a potential CATASTROPHE for all.

My guess is somewhere between really bad and catastrophe, in the medium term.
    Simon Jenkins was recently interviewed on independence and he said he was not sure what the fuss was about. He seemed to think that Scotland could go independent without any real affect on Scotland or the rUK.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Alistair said:

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/7203-northern-isles-are-scottish-say-islanders

Alistair seems to be accurate. But what would be the point of rejoining the UK? The enclave issue would occur, and they'd end up paying lots of taxes to London.
    At the end of the day those area which are heavily No may be very unhappy, but that's democracy for you, you don't always get what you personally voted for, and they'd make the best of the situation in which they found themselves.
  • Options
    tessyCtessyC Posts: 106
    I'll be up for the results. Last day in work tomorrow then off to Australia for 6 months, from next Tuesday. Really hoping its a No, starting to feel very anxious about the result, so I can imagine its about a billion times worse for those in Scotland, what ever side you're on. Hope Scotland can come together after the result. But equally if its a yes, I hope the rest of the UK can unite around a negotiating stance that is in our interests. We would also have to start rebuilding a country to a certain extent.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Psephologist Robert Waller wrote in the Almanac of British Politics about 20 years ago that, if Scotland ever became independent, Orkney and Shetland might declare independence from Scotland.
This discussion has been closed.