Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big IndyRef polling question tonight. Will YouGov still

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big IndyRef polling question tonight. Will YouGov still have YES in the lead?

The extraordinary feature of these closing IndyRef polls is that the firms that hitherto were most favourable to NO have moved sharply to YES while those that hitherto had YES in the best positions have remained stable.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    First?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I cannot see how anyone with an ounce of sense would vote YES. The consequences, which are bad, are so starkly obvious.

Will the turkeys really vote for Xmas?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    WTF is going off in SA

Adjourned till tomorrow
  • Options
    The ICM one is due out tonight, not tomorrow, according to the Guardian tweets.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

WTF is going off in SA

Adjourned till tomorrow

Guess everyone in court wanted to go and watch Sky coverage of cricket coming home to God's Own Country....
  • Options
    bazzbazz Posts: 16
    Poll Question: let's say YouGov showed the same 1 point lead in tonight's poll as last time, for example...where would the boys and girls here predict the BF no market move to? My guess 1.47? Shadsy suggested 58-42 in favour of NO meant no change to current market assessment of implied probabilities?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    FPT

Carnyx said:

1. On budget, check out Barnett Formula: if England budgets x% less because patients are paying suppliers direct for their trusses, etc., then Scotland immediately gets an x% cut pro rata, and has to do without to the same extent (or find the dosh from elsewhere). That applies to privatisation in general, not just TTIP, of course.

As logical fallacies go, that one is an absolute humdinger! I suppose, however, that it might explain why Scottish MPs are so keen on voting for money to be wasted.
    I said 'budgeted' not 'end of year outcome'. If you budget £x for hearing aid services, and privatise that, then most or all of that £x will disappear from the next year's budget. (Same if you go about it by allocating an overall total and them remove part of it.) Ergo Barnett cut. Anything illogical with that?

It must be admitted that one of the striking things about the Labour-LD aministratio0ns in Scotland was how much money they had unspent at the end of the year. Mr Swinney has reportedly been far more rigorous. And the biggest single wastes were the Parliament building and the Trams -both Labour (with help from LDs and Tories for the latter).
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, that's ridiculous. More bloody saturation coverage of that. For once, recently I've been glad of local news, giving more time to Rotherham than the national stuff.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Wow! If that blog is even half right.... remind me again - who is the "nasty party"?
  • Options
    FPT
    Are we discovering today that charm, guile, engagement and the gift of the gab can take you an awful awful long way in politics - but that when it counts content and a coherent message may prevail?

Eck looking alot like the emperor with no clothes and whimpering, blustering, deflecting. You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh.

(People give a very serious shit about being bankrupted and laughing this stuff off is trite beyond belief. They are potentially days away from committing to becoming country with no money. WTF!).
  • Options
  • Options
    bazzbazz Posts: 16
    Does Yougov have a history of leaks ahead of publication? What time would we expect Yougov results to break on Twitter as confirmed accurate? It strikes me an opinion pollster could make a lot of money this week selling their data ahead of time to global macro hedge funds who like betting on this sort of thing.

If you look at the amount sterling moved yesterday, apparently largelo off the back of an opinion poll by survation, that's a potentially financiall rewarding way of getting a return from asking 1,000 people what they think about something.

I cant think of a time in living memory when advanced knowledge of polling data could have been as financiall lucrative as the lsat 48 hours and the next.

There isn't just massive liquidiity on Betfair - you could even use it to place big bets in (stake unlimited) financial markets...I wonder if hedge funds have been commissioning any private polling?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I cannot see how anyone with an ounce of sense would vote YES. The consequences, which are bad, are so starkly obvious.

No, Mrs C, No! Please, I beg you, stop posting such stuff. You are English aren't you, or at any rate reside in England? Then the worst possible result will be a narrow NO vote. As a strong vote in favour of the Union seems impossible and our own, English, politicians seem determined to inflict an even more unbalanced settlement on us, then a YES vote is actually in our best interests.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Sense? That's flown out of the window, to be replaced by blind faith.

"Are you not worried about how your pension will be funded, or who will protect your savings?"

"No. Eck says all will be fine. Inshallah"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @EconBizFin: This week's leader: Ditching the union would be a mistake for Scotland and a tragedy for the country it leaves behind http://t.co/S8ij1qzpzC
  • Options
    Patrick said:

FPT
    Are we discovering today that charm, guile, engagement and the gift of the gab can take you an awful awful long way in politics - but that when it counts content and a coherent message may prevail?

Ask Nigel Farage that question...
  • Options

Sense? That's flown out of the window, to be replaced by blind faith.

"Are you not worried about how your pension will be funded, or who will protect your savings?"

"No. Eck says all will be fine. Inshallah"

It really is a cult

Emblems of affiliation. Repeated mantras. Adulation of the leader.

If there is a Yes, the followers are going to be very, very, very unhappy when the rapture doesn't arrive...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited September 2014
    bazz said:

Does Yougov have a history of leaks ahead of publication? What time would we expect Yougov results to break on Twitter as confirmed accurate? It strikes me an opinion pollster could make a lot of money this week selling their data ahead of time to global macro hedge funds who like betting on this sort of thing.

If you look at the amount sterling moved yesterday, apparently largelo off the back of an opinion poll by survation, that's a potentially financiall rewarding way of getting a return from asking 1,000 people what they think about something.

I cant think of a time in living memory when advanced knowledge of polling data could have been as financiall lucrative as the lsat 48 hours and the next.

There isn't just massive liquidiity on Betfair - you could even use it to place big bets in (stake unlimited) financial markets...I wonder if hedge funds have been commissioning any private polling?

Last time the Times published the poll lead on their website at 8.30pm, so I'd expect it anytime between 8.30pm and 10pm.

YouGov don't leak, they only send the poll to the client and no one else.

That said Rupert Murdoch's twitter feed is worth watching.
  • Options
    KenKen Posts: 24
    The ICM poll was carried out on Tuesday, and I was one of the people that got a call from them. As a Yes voter and a blogger I was interested in asking a few questions of my own after the survey was over, so the girl put me through to her supervisor who was willing to chat. The poll is due out on Sunday, but I'll be it leaks before that.

Calls are made via an automatic dialler, and they had already spoken to enough people over 65, so were only speaking to those of us under that age. The problem they must have is that this system works on land lines only, so the poor and young are hard to catch. Their system weights down people who have not voted in the last election by 50%, but they are clearly weighting for both the British and Scottish elections, since we were asked how we had voted in both of them. Quite how they handle folk like me who voted in 2010 but did not live in Scotland for the 2011 Scottish elections is anyone's guess.

Anyway, I was asked how sure I was to vote Yes, how sure I was to vote, and how I had voted in those two previous elections.

www.kenbell.info
  • Options
    @faisalislam: IFS new analysis on NHS & independence "unlikely independence would make it easier to find additional money for NHS" http://t.co/QRmTspP6Wy

Those heartless Tory bastards, the IFS... Oh, wait.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

[edited for space]

Point 1 is ridiculous. The threat to Scotland of England spending less on health?

Point two, no opt out for Scotland, fine, but how on earth do you think you'll be securing any sort of opt out when you rejoin the EU as an independent country? It's doubtful you'll even be able to opt out of the euro. Salmond's going to say 'Please can we join -but that massive free trade deal you've been working on -no thanks' is he?

I'm no fan of what I've seen of TTIP -seems like pretty much an excuse for US corporations to rape and pillage to me, but clearly the best hope of any sort of 'opt out' would be to campaign for one within the UK, where a eurosceptic/left wing coalition on this issue would have real clout.

I think it's just a flat out case of misrepresenting the truth to people to be honest. Let's hope enough of them see through it.

I think you've misunderstood a couple of points, if I may

1. On budget, check out Barnett Formula: if England budgets x% less because patients are paying suppliers direct for their trusses, etc., then Scotland immediately gets an x% cut pro rata, and has to do without to the same extent (or find the dosh from elsewhere). That applies to privatisation in general, not just TTIP, of course.

2. Scotland cannot get an opt out at all separately from the UK as a whole, as the English NHS is being privatised. If it is separate it can decide to keep the TTIP from affecting its NHS, if that is still publicly funded.

On the wider EU issue, it's already very clear that needs and priorities are different in Scotland from UK as a whole (think fisheries and farming, for one thing, vs City of London). Renegotiation and a review is absolutely necessary anyway as the existing deal probably wouldn't cut it.

Carnyx, scrap the Barnett formula. Should have been done donkey's years ago as the man who came up with it has said. Surely it can't survive the current turmoil if the Scots are so stupid as to vote NO.
    Mr Llama, it is what we have at the moment (if rather motheaten at the edges with e.g. Olympics) and I'd be scorned if I pretended otherwise. But I agree it will be reviewed. On that theme, I have just been reading about it in

http://theconversation.com/scotland-will-not-be-offered-devo-max-after-a-no-vote-heres-why-31500
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I got burnt on the market, I didn't see it moving as far out as 5.1. Still, it is creeping down and with luck I'll be back to a stable position soon.

I could cash out now for a 6% profit but given that yesterday I was sitting on a 60% profit I fell there is still room.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: "Scottish government has chosen to protect NHS in Scotland slightly less than been protected in England" says @TheIFS http://t.co/QRmTspP6Wy

Oh, Alex...
  • Options
    http://www.tatler.com/news/articles/september-2014/the-future-of-scotland

The other kind of estate, for a change, in response to Mr Bond on the previous thread.
  • Options
    Ken said:

The ICM poll was carried out on Tuesday, and I was one of the people that got a call from them. As a Yes voter and a blogger I was interested in asking a few questions of my own after the survey was over, so the girl put me through to her supervisor who was willing to chat. The poll is due out on Sunday, but I'll be it leaks before that.

Calls are made via an automatic dialler, and they had already spoken to enough people over 65, so were only speaking to those of us under that age. The problem they must have is that this system works on land lines only, so the poor and young are hard to catch. Their system weights down people who have not voted in the last election by 50%, but they are clearly weighting for both the British and Scottish elections, since we were asked how we had voted in both of them. Quite how they handle folk like me who voted in 2010 but did not live in Scotland for the 2011 Scottish elections is anyone's guess.

Anyway, I was asked how sure I was to vote Yes, how sure I was to vote, and how I had voted in those two previous elections.

www.kenbell.info

ICM also ring mobiles
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    It's strong stuff but ... how much of it is completely new to us?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    bazz said:

Poll Question: let's say YouGov showed the same 1 point lead in tonight's poll as last time, for example...where would the boys and girls here predict the BF no market move to? My guess 1.47? Shadsy suggested 58-42 in favour of NO meant no change to current market assessment of implied probabilities?

Yesterday's Survation of 53/47 was enough to move Yes from approx 3.2 to 4.7.

I would have thought a YouGov 58/42 for No would push Yes out to approx 7.

58/42 for No plus all the news re banks moving etc would surely just about finish it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    dr_spyn said:
    Great article... I know from family who worked there what goes on in Tower Hamlets...

It seems at last some people are beginning to wake up to what's been going on in these areas

Areas with segregated, divided communities leading to civil strife...

Who knew? What could have been done?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: "Scottish government has chosen to protect NHS in Scotland slightly less than been protected in England" says @TheIFS http://t.co/QRmTspP6Wy

Oh, Alex...

Surely not...

"2. Between 2009-10 and 2015-16 spending on the NHS in England will, on currently announced plans, have risen by about 4% in real terms ....

3. Over the same period ..... Spending on the NHS in Scotland has fallen by 1%."
  • Options

Ken said:

www.kenbell.info

ICM also ring mobiles
    Ken (and TSE) - just been reading a discussion of the ICM telephone issue on Scotgoespop, if you are interested.

• Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Scott_P said:

@EconBizFin: This week's leader: Ditching the union would be a mistake for Scotland and a tragedy for the country it leaves behind http://t.co/S8ij1qzpzC

Whoever wrote that marvellous piece in the Economist should have been in charge of the Better Together campaign.
  • Options

No, Mrs C, No! Please, I beg you, stop posting such stuff. You are English aren't you,

No. Northern Irish

or at any rate reside in England?

Yes

Then the worst possible result will be a narrow NO vote. As a strong vote in favour of the Union seems impossible and our own, English, politicians seem determined to inflict an even more unbalanced settlement on us, then a YES vote is actually in our best interests.

Sorry Mr Llama, but I must disagree. Partly because I am a sentimentalist but also because I am a realist.

The thought of being rid of so many apparently embittered, ungrateful ingrates is comforting but they are only a fraction of the people in Scotland. What about the rest who do not want to be cut loose? Surely we have to stand by them and support them or it is not much of a union. Not all the YES voters will be the bitter, nasty Nats either. Many of them will be decent people who have been talked round, misled or just have some sort of dream. We need to offer them the other side of the argument, persuade them to change their mind.

Next - do not imagine that the effects will be limited to Scotland. We are entwined with them as a result of 300 years of integration and it is very difficult to untangle things. There will be severe economic impacts down here too. And what about emigration? What about those who are not encumbered with mortgages and just decide to leave and head south?

The situation is a shambles but it needs a better solution than throwing the baby out with the bath-water.
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    edited September 2014
    FPT
    RobC said:

A Plea.

The Scottish referendum is looking increasingly close. Clearly there is work to be done if the best result for all is to be achieved. May I ask, plead, even beg, those posters on here who reside in Scotland to use their time more wisely. Stop posting on here and, instead, use the time to persuade your compatriots to vote YES .

It is not surprising that English posters on here who back a Scottish Yes tend to be Ukipers or crypto Ukipers who basically are happy to see Scotland commit economic hari-kari to further their real interest which is to pull the rest of the UK out of the EU. I think the recent intervention by big business in the Scottish debate is a mere foretaste of what you'd see with an EU in/out referendum. As hopefully we'll see next week enough nervous middle ground voters will take fright and opt for the status quo (albeit with devo plus in Scotland or whatever concessions DC obtains from our EU partners in that debate*).
    * if it ever happens
  • Options
    The silly Cyberunionist NO campaign is full of negatives IMHO.

"The Scots are too stupid to rule themselves"
    "The Scots are too poor to rule themselves"
    "The Scots are too anti-English to rule themselves"
    "HM The Queen will have a heart attack and die if the Scots vote yes"
    "Scotland will immediately be consumed by the ocean if they vote yes"
    "There will be all-out global thermonuclear war if the Scots vote yes"
    "The Sun will go Nova and destroy the entire solar system if the Scots vote yes"

Er, you get the picture!

:)
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Bit of a typo below, I think. My guess was that that 52-48 to NO would leave the odds roughly as they are now.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Marvellous cartoon featuring our 3 main party leaders from the wonderful Peter Brookes in The Times today, one of his best ever.

If you haven't seen it, go and find a shop and have a butcher's - it's on page 33.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Alistair said:

I got burnt on the market, I didn't see it moving as far out as 5.1. Still, it is creeping down and with luck I'll be back to a stable position soon.

I could cash out now for a 6% profit but given that yesterday I was sitting on a 60% profit I fell there is still room.

Am now -0.5 No, 4 Yes.

Just need one last Yes lead to equalise green - otherwise has been a fun ride an a cheap bet.

• Options
    One of the interesting things about the last YouGov poll was that the raw numbers still showed a No vote it was only the weighting that made it a Yes vote. YouGov is unable to find enough male middle aged SNP voters. Is that because they are all out campaigning or is it that they don't really exist?

Just had a guy into today who is so mad about Salmond he went and joined the Better Together campaign last night. He is male middle aged born in Scotland and Central Belt.

Another tidbit. Walking through Glasgow this morning on the way to a meeting and watched for 10 mins the Yes campaigner on the loud speaker in the main shopping street. He was ranting and raving about Thatcher and Falklands. In 10 mins he got not one person to pick up a leaflet. Everyone was ignoring him.

It is hard to say entirely as I don't spend time with the NEDs in Springburn but the general mood swing seems to be away from the YES and Salmond. Maybe the worst thing that could have happened to the SNP was that they got a single poll lead as it has woken up the No campaign.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987
    @Plato (from last thread) Tesco bank bought everything in house a 2008. Its head office is Edinburgh, main operations Glasgow with smaller office in Newcastle.
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    One of the problem with any Devomax proposals based on keeping share of income taxes is that central govt can have a direct influence on tax take. When they place a central govt agency in Scotland they would increase Scotland's tax take and vice versa. So it will become more expensive to central govt to so do.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

Am now -0.5 No, 4 Yes.

Just need one last Yes lead to equalise green - otherwise has been a fun ride an a cheap bet.

I'm -1 No +4 Yes. In the event of a Yes price drop I'm wondering if I would green up, hedge out the No or let it ride for a few days more.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987

Ken said:

www.kenbell.info

ICM also ring mobiles
    They may not be doing so when trying to hit a particular country / region. Its far easier to ring random numbers in a few telephone codes..
  • Options
    MikeL said:

bazz said:

Yesterday's Survation of 53/47 was enough to move Yes from approx 3.2 to 4.7.

I would have thought a YouGov 58/42 for No would push Yes out to approx 7.

58/42 for No plus all the news re banks moving etc would surely just about finish it.
    He's surely mistyped and means 48/52?

58 No 42 Yes would end this as an event and the price would be 12 or more.
  • Options
    @martinboon: Can't remember a time when so many people want a snippet of what the poll says and *promises not to tell anyone*. Not saying to any of you.
  • Options

Ken said:

www.kenbell.info

ICM also ring mobiles
    Couldn't mention this last night due to Wifi issues, but George Takei (Mr Sulu from Star Trek) was on Through the Keyhole (Keith Lemon version) last night!
  • Options
    eek said:

Ken said:

www.kenbell.info

ICM also ring mobiles
    They may not be doing so when trying to hit a particular country / region. Its far easier to ring random numbers in a few telephone codes..
    I think they may use mobiles to get the 16-24 age group, who are the most unlikely group to have a landline.
  • Options

Ken said:

www.kenbell.info

ICM also ring mobiles
    Couldn't mention this last night due to Wifi issues, but George Takei (Mr Sulu from Star Trek) was on Through the Keyhole (Keith Lemon version) last night!
    Bugger. Missed it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

Alistair said:

Am now -0.5 No, 4 Yes.

I'm -1 No +4 Yes. In the event of a Yes price drop I'm wondering if I would green up, hedge out the No or let it ride for a few days more.
    I would personally probably not equalise exactly as I want a compensation win if YES wins.

I think the ship has sailed though - NO probably is on a train ride to 1.01..
  • Options
    FF42FF42 Posts: 114

No, Mrs C, No! Please, I beg you, stop posting such stuff. You are English aren't you,

No. Northern Irish

Yes

Then the worst possible result will be a narrow NO vote. As a strong vote in favour of the Union seems impossible and our own, English, politicians seem determined to inflict an even more unbalanced settlement on us, then a YES vote is actually in our best interests.

Sorry Mr Llama, but I must disagree. Partly because I am a sentimentalist but also because I am a realist.

The thought of being rid of so many apparently embittered, ungrateful ingrates is comforting but they are only a fraction of the people in Scotland. What about the rest who do not want to be cut loose? Surely we have to stand by them and support them or it is not much of a union. Not all the YES voters will be the bitter, nasty Nats either. Many of them will be decent people who have been talked round, misled or just have some sort of dream. We need to offer them the other side of the argument, persuade them to change their mind.

Next - do not imagine that the effects will be limited to Scotland. We are entwined with them as a result of 300 years of integration and it is very difficult to untangle things. There will be severe economic impacts down here too. And what about emigration? What about those who are not encumbered with mortgages and just decide to leave and head south?

The situation is a shambles but it needs a better solution than throwing the baby out with the bath-water.
    Thanks, Beverley, I for one appreciate the sentiment. It's a stupid project. Some of us know just how damaging it will be and has been.
  • Options
    £15k available at 1.26 on No on betfair.

Price blocker ?
  • Options
    The ICM poll is still in the field and will be until this evening.

So we should get it tomorrow (fingers crossed)
  • Options
    @guardian_clark: @TSEofPB @martinboon @GdnPolitics @ICMResearch I believe calls are continuing into this evening
  • Options

Ken said:

www.kenbell.info

ICM also ring mobiles
    Bugger. Missed it.
    https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/through-the-keyhole/series-1/episode-2-1

But you have to register (free).
  • Options

Ken said:

www.kenbell.info

ICM also ring mobiles
    Bugger. Missed it.
    https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/through-the-keyhole/series-1/episode-2-1

But you have to register (free).
    Cheers.

• Options
    Quite extraordinary

@TelePolitics: Alex Salmond goes to war with BBC over RBS 'leak' http://t.co/BaoLdEZ4nJ
  • Options
    FF42 said:

No. Northern Irish

Yes

Thanks, Beverley, I for one appreciate the sentiment. It's a stupid project. Some of us know just how damaging it will be and has been.
    Yes that was a first rate post from Beverley.
  • Options
    @PaulBrandITV: At @ITVborder and @ITVtynetees we've done our own #indyref polling via @ComResPolls. One out at 6pm, one out on Monday (all being well).
  • Options
    Arif Ansari (@ArifBBC)
    11/09/2014 13:25
    UKIP selects John Bickley to fight the Heywood and Middleton by-election. He previously fought Wythenshawe and Sale East.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    FF42 said:

I have to agree with Mr Llama on one point - a narrow NO margin will be the worst result as it will simply inflame the extreme nationalists. The old rationale of "one more heave".

I hope the commonsense prevails, but I fear that the damage that has been done will colour relations between Scotland and the rest of us for years to come.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PaulBrandITV: At @ITVborder and @ITVtynetees we've done our own #indyref polling via @ComResPolls. One out at 6pm, one out on Monday (all being well).

So now everyone sees the marketing value of IndyPolls.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Brookes is my favourite cartoonist by miles = he's so clever and funny.

Matt is great for a one liner - but Brookes does super full colour caricatures

Marvellous cartoon featuring our 3 main party leaders from the wonderful Peter Brookes in The Times today, one of his best ever.

If you haven't seen it, go and find a shop and have a butcher's - it's on page 33.

• Options
    Betfair market has passed £6million today.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

So now everyone sees the marketing value of IndyPolls.

It's only a small part of Scotland poll and not of the whole of Scotland poll.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Just covering the south of Scotland - probably the most anti-indy location outside of shetland/orkney.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Thanks

I see they're confirmed as moving too.

That's a biggie. Any idea how many customers they've got?

Do Sainsburys still do banking?
    eek said:

@Plato (from last thread) Tesco bank bought everything in house a 2008. Its head office is Edinburgh, main operations Glasgow with smaller office in Newcastle.

• Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Just covering the south of Scotland - probably the most anti-indy location outside of shetland/orkney.
    The full survation tables are up if you haven't already seen them

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Headline-Referenedum-Vote-Table.pdf
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I hope the commonsense prevails, but I fear that the damage that has been done will colour relations between Scotland and the rest of us for years to time.''

If Salmond doesn;t get independence, he will get big new powers anyway - which he can then sell as a victory

Its a win win for him.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Headline-Referenedum-Vote-Table.pdf
    Sweet. Thanks.
  • Options

This one?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/article2481811.ece

• Options
    @BethRigby: Asda's Andy Clarke warns of cost increases in independent Scotland. "Our business model would inevitably become more complex." #scotref

Bluffing Tipping Point
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2014
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Given the absurd psephologically-illiterate hysteria about survation yesterday, I'm tempted to trade "no" on the basis that, regardless of the numbers, just the Comres coverage will move the markets a bit.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited September 2014
    @plato FPT
    Threads was about a nuclear war erupting over Communist incursion over the East/west German border, the main story was about the effect of a nuclear strike on Sheffield, and the fate of the characters. The Sheffield council were trapped in an underground bunker and by the time the army had a chance to dig them out, they had all died. It focused a lot on the breakdown of social order and later went into a rather wrongheaded dystopian future with Britain back to a pre industrial rev, agrarian society. Scary, but woefully inaccurate, too optimistic about the immediate term prospects and far too pessimistic about the long term future of survivors.
    It is available on YouTube, broken into segments.
    The Day After is a better film, or the 60s War Game which accurately reflects the ingrained ignorance of the time
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @BethRigby: Am told another big FTSE retailer also poised to warn on the cost implications of independence .......#Scotref

Bluffing Tipping Point
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I said 'budgeted' not 'end of year outcome'. If you budget £x for hearing aid services, and privatise that, then most or all of that £x will disappear from the next year's budget. (Same if you go about it by allocating an overall total and them remove part of it.) Ergo Barnett cut. Anything illogical with that?

Err, yes.

To see what, ask yourself a question. Where does the mysterious lost money go?
  • Options
    This is sure to please ;)

http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/110914-Rangers-training/G0000iGedT_2wAfA/I0000c0Eqcl.8b4A/C0000jsP5NTBBSW8/

"Rangers manager Ally McCoist displaying his support for the No campaign in the Scottish Referendum with a badge on his training shirt"
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Scott_P said:

@BethRigby: Am told another big FTSE retailer also poised to warn on the cost implications of independence .......#Scotref

Bluffing Tipping Point

T U R N I P S
  • Options
    AllyMAllyM Posts: 260
    Scott_P said:

Bluffing Tipping Point

I've heard ASDA have released something?
  • Options
    It's almost worth a Yes win just to see ScottP put an effing sock in it.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited September 2014

@plato FPT
    Threads was about a nuclear war erupting over Communist incursion over the East/west German border, the main story was about the effect of a nuclear strike on Sheffield, and the fate of the characters. The Sheffield council were trapped in an underground bunker and by the time the army had a chance to dig them out, they had all died. It focused a lot on the breakdown of social order and later went into a rather wrongheaded dystopian future with Britain back to a pre industrial rev, agrarian society. Scary, but woefully inaccurate, too optimistic about the immediate term prospects and far too pessimistic about the long term future of survivors.
    It is available on YouTube, broken into segments.
    The Day After is a better film, or the 60s War Game which accurately reflects the ingrained ignorance of the time

Addendum, IIRC, the strike on Sheffield was an air burst, which increases the damage but takes out the fortnight's risk of radioactive fallout.

Whereas The Day After is a ground strike, so survivors are seen walking through the fallout and the associated horrific death from radiation sickness.
  • Options
    RobC said:

Yes that was a first rate post from Beverley.

Thank you RobC, however, normal service will be resumed shortly. I feel a need for retail therapy.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''I hope the commonsense prevails, but I fear that the damage that has been done will colour relations between Scotland and the rest of us for years to time.''

If Salmond doesn;t get independence, he will get big new powers anyway - which he can then sell as a victory

Its a win win for him.

The 'powers' promised by the 3 parties are bascially the aquare root of hee and haw. Full control over income tax (which Labour is unwilling to give, going for a doubly ludicrous partial control) is a double edged sword that will lead to bad government - policies that increase economic activity and national tax take but decrease income tax would be a budget cut for Scotland, conversely a pathological policy that boosts income tax but kills overall economic activity and tax take would be a budget rise.

Which is insane.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    RobC said:

FPT

RobC said:

A Plea.

The Scottish referendum is looking increasingly close. Clearly there is work to be done if the best result for all is to be achieved. May I ask, plead, even beg, those posters on here who reside in Scotland to use their time more wisely. Stop posting on here and, instead, use the time to persuade your compatriots to vote YES .

It is not surprising that English posters on here who back a Scottish Yes tend to be Ukipers or crypto Ukipers who basically are happy to see Scotland commit economic hari-kari to further their real interest which is to pull the rest of the UK out of the EU. I think the recent intervention by big business in the Scottish debate is a mere foretaste of what you'd see with an EU in/out referendum. As hopefully we'll see next week enough nervous middle ground voters will take fright and opt for the status quo (albeit with devo plus in Scotland or whatever concessions DC obtains from our EU partners in that debate*).
    * if it ever happens
    UKIP is in favour of Scotland remaining within the UK.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Err, yes.

To see what, ask yourself a question. Where does the mysterious lost money go?
    I think we are talking at cross purposes, mostly my fault (but thank you anyway). I admit I should have been clearer and said it was to do with overall departmental budgeting. If the Dept of Health gets gets £x one year and that is reduced the next year, for whatever reason (such as targets for privatisation), the Barnett consequential makes a comparable reduction in that element of the Scottish grant. Okay?

That is, I entirely agree, not the same as money saved each year (which may or may not revert to the Treasury from Scotland: I am not sure if this is compulsory though it was certainly remitted under Labour-LDs.

• Options
    AllyMAllyM Posts: 260
    AllyM said:

Scott_P said:

Bluffing Tipping Point

I've heard ASDA have released something?
    Granted, they are Wal-Mart company, not FTSE company. Doh!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

My article in The Spectator, on how national characters form - and indyref.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9310712/borderline-personalities/

SeanT said:

Andrew Roberts chapter in "Enoch at 100" is called "Enoch Powell and the Nation State". I read it yesterday for the first time and it makes many similar points, have you read it?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Hmmm, so it looks like the 16-24 demo was majorly from the Glasgow area and it formed a major part of the Glasgow demographic.

So given how much they were upwighted an outlier level of No-ness amongst them would explain why both that group and Glasgow was so out of line with the rest of the polls.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Deleted. Not witty enough to inflict on you.

• Options
    Can the Cyberunionists explain why if we are "better together" we play our three most popular team sports, football, rugby and cricket, as separate teams and leagues? And in the case of the first two, we have done so since the mid-19th century?

If we are so "United" as a Kingdom, would you argue for a united UK football team and football league?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Interesting article, not an aspect I had considered before.

Here's another - given that the John Lewis CEO have suggested that their prices in Scotland will have to rise eventually because England subsidises their operations in further flung places then presumably that will apply to the Royal Mail. One price fitting all UK destinations will surely be no more.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

It's almost worth a Yes win just to see ScottP put an effing sock in it.

Have you worked out whether to defend or deny your blatant multiple-alter-egoism yet? Or are you going to stick with just denying things you haven't been accused of?

Would be nice if you came clean before continuing to attack other posters.
  • Options
    Anyone have thoughts on the next leader of the SNP market? Not sure if Salmond is on borrowed time, if he goes then all the promissory notes he has issued to the likes of Murdoch and Souter, on behalf of the SNP, can be torn up.

Ladbrokes have Sturgeon at 1/2 but the rest of the list could make some good returns.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    @Carnyx - OK, fair enough, but the central point remains: Scotland is not any way disadvantaged by savings made in the rest of the UK on specific departmental spending. Either the money saved is spent on some other budget (in which there is zero effect on Scotland), or taxes are reduced, or the deficit is reduced. The only thing which actually matters is the overall spending envelope determined by the Chancellor. For that reason, Scottish MPs who vote in Westminster on matters which don't affect Scotland, and justify this democratic disgrace by reference to the Barnett formula, are being intellectually dishonest. They would vote on the Budget only, if they were being honest.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    England subsidises their operations in further flung places

It also follows that, shorn of these subsidies, retailers would be able to cut prices in England.

Go Yes!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Can the Cyberunionists explain why if we are "better together" we play our three most popular team sports, football, rugby and cricket, as separate teams and leagues? And in the case of the first two, we have done so since the mid-19th century?

If we are so "United" as a Kingdom, would you argue for a united UK football team and football league?

Manchester, Liverpool, London, Birmingham, are all single cities with more than one football team.

• Options

Geography - was too far to travel to Inverness from Plymouth by stagecoach in 1872.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2014
    Finally.

Spreadex have a proper vote% spreadbet market. Not the silly binary market offered by SPIN.

Come on Sporting, up yer game!

--

Spreadex Vote %:

Yes % SELL 45.5 - 47.5 BUY
    No % SELL 52.5 - 54.5 BUY
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sean_F said:

Manchester, Liverpool, London, Birmingham, are all single cities with more than one football team.

However Leeds, Coventry, Leicester and Hull only have one major team.
  • Options
    bohanroy said:

Anyone have thoughts on the next leader of the SNP market? Not sure if Salmond is on borrowed time, if he goes then all the promissory notes he has issued to the likes of Murdoch and Souter, on behalf of the SNP, can be torn up.

Ladbrokes have Sturgeon at 1/2 but the rest of the list could make some good returns.

What odds can I get on Douglas Carswell ?
This discussion has been closed.