Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “An independence referendum is like a normal election on st

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,222

Morning all and thankfully only a month until THE vote! The Scottish business community is largely on hold as we wait to learn the result. I'm looking forward to the debate in Inverness on Wednesday in front of a business leaders only audience.

I detect a real move to YES. On Thursday at the Glenmorangie Highland Gathering in Tain, our Rotary stand was next to the Better Together one. It was busy all day. Every overseas/English visitor who stopped to chat to me at our Rotary stand asked me about the referendum and how I thought the vote would go.

As a Scot, I hope it is an 80+% turnout and either NO by at least 10% or YES by at least 1 vote. If it is a narrow NO, we will simply be back doing it all again within 5 years. That would be seriously bad for the Scottish economy.

Keep strong Easterross, it will be a resounding YES. Then you may even get a real Conservative party, get rid of all the dross currently masquerading as the regional North London district organisation.
    Did you see the pathetic performance by that oaf Johnstone in Inverness last week , he is seriously poor and deluded.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Putting aside betting and what I think will happen aside, my personal view is that if I was in Scotland I'd be voting for independence.

I think there is more oil in the waters than is estimated and the No side/the Gov't has downplayed it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    Mr. Capitano, yes.

It's something like 60-70% of non-Scots against the currency union. I'm sure others will have the precise figures to hand.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,540
    Completely off topic but I was at the Test on Friday and Saturday and stayed in an hotel next to Battersea.

Wow. I mean wow. The scale of the development south of the river between Chelsea Bridge and Vauxhall has to be seen to be believed. A whole new city being created in 10 years. I would guess it will have a population of at least 200,000 by the time they are finished, possibly more. With this and Crossrail most of the construction in the UK must be taking place in London at the moment.

It will be fascinating to see what this does to the political map of London. Kensington and Chelsea on the march?
  • Options
    The most British people there are live in Northern Ireland and vote for unionist parties. They hate the English though. Probably because they're Scots!
  • Options

Scottish or British - Why not both?

I still think No will get 55%+ but it will hardly be a ringing endorsement of the Union if 45% of people in Scotland want it over with. There is a question of what a knock on effect it will have on England. My guess is once the English realise that nearly half the Scottish population feel no commitment to them, their own interest in the Union (already flagging) will wane further. English nationalism will rise somewhat, although I'm still doubtful of its true potential. How will ethnic minorities feel about that? The Welsh won't be going anywhere in the short run for lots of reasons but a serious English nationalism might change a few minds. And how long would the English want to keep subsidising the alien culture of Northern Ireland?

Big questions for Unionists on both the left and right as to how they have managed to screw this up so badly.

The Unionists started to "screw this up" a very, very long time ago. For example, absolutely fundamental errors were made by Attlee in the 1940s, by the Scottish Unionist Party in 1965, and by Heath in the 1970s.

The more modern screw ups by Smith, Blair, Brown, McConnell, Cameron, Osborne etc actually pale into insignificance in comparison. The real damage to the foundations of the teetering Union were self-inflicted an awful long time ago.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Mike, Glad you had fun in Auld Reekie, August is probably the best month to come as a tourist, and the best to avoid as a resident ;-)

The referendum is certainly top of most people's minds atm. I was at a toddler's birthday party on Saturday and it was pretty much the only non-child centred conversation topic. On a completely non-scientific sample of people-wot-I-spoke-to basis, then Yes is ever so slightly ahead, but there are certainly lots of haverers out there.

Did you mean "waverers" (although "haverers" might be more accurate!) ;)

I was brought up in Edinburgh and my parents always made sure that the family were out of the city during August. Most Edinburgh friends have similar experiences.

The disadvantage of fleeing the capital in August is that my tender skin was bitten to hell by Ardnamurchan midgies and clegs.

Working in Edinburgh in August is indeed horrible, especially on the Royal Mile where I am based. I have suggested on a few occasions that we need a faculty machete to carve our way down to the consultation rooms.
    Edinburgh is always nice to visit , I will be there tomorrow and look forward to a good pint.Unfortunately I have some business to deal with first.
    Ah drinking in Edinburgh in August. Wife and I used to love just hanging out at the Pleasance Courtyard or The Spiegeltent.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    malcolmg said:

Mr. Observer, it's unsurprising, with the rise of pointless and ill-considered devolution, and the multi-cultural approach that all cultures are equal. And we've seen morris dancers unable to continue centuries old traditions due to red tape bullshit.

Not a particularly party political point. Like lots of bad things in recent times, it was started by Labour and continued by the Coalition.

Oh, and Clegg announcing the Cornish minority bullshit was a mind-bendingly stupid move. How many years before appeals for a Cornish Parliament? In a pathetic attempt to get a tiny bit of popularity he's sown a seed which could (decades down the line) help tear apart England.

The idea that everything would be hunky-dory without devolution is one of the more absurd notions that you hear. There was a reason that the Scots felt the need for more say in the way they were governed and it was not because of nasty Labour agitation.

If you ask me the single biggest contributor to where we are now is FPTP. Neither the Scots nor the English have delivered a majority of Tory or Labour votes for decades. Salmond is right to say Scotland does not get what it votes for, but neither does England or Wales or Northern Ireland.

SO, you forgot Thatcher
    I thought her 'state' funeral was the single worst thing that could happen to the NO campaign. Again the blame lies with New Labour and the Tories.
  • Options
    "Cameron, Osborne , Clegg , Alexander , Balls , Milliband " are not "lying toads" but they are all politicians on the No side of the fence so I would take what they say in independence matters with a pinch of salt, as one should do with Salmond also.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    edited August 2014

I still think No will get 55%+ but it will hardly be a ringing endorsement of the Union if 45% of people in Scotland want it over with. There is a question of what a knock on effect it will have on England. My guess is once the English realise that nearly half the Scottish population feel no commitment to them, their own interest in the Union (already flagging) will wane further. English nationalism will rise somewhat, although I'm still doubtful of its true potential. How will ethnic minorities feel about that? The Welsh won't be going anywhere in the short run for lots of reasons but a serious English nationalism might change a few minds. And how long would the English want to keep subsidising the alien culture of Northern Ireland?

Big questions for Unionists on both the left and right as to how they have managed to screw this up so badly.

The Unionists started to "screw this up" a very, very long time ago. For example, absolutely fundamental errors were made by Attlee in the 1940s, by the Scottish Unionist Party in 1965, and by Heath in the 1970s.

The more modern screw ups by Smith, Blair, Brown, McConnell, Cameron, Osborne etc actually pale into insignificance in comparison. The real damage to the foundations of the teetering Union were self-inflicted an awful long time ago.
    usual deluded bollocks.

why not got back to 1745, 1314 or the battle of Mons Grappus while you're at it ?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

DavidL said:

Mr. L, the question is not Scottish or British. It's Scottish within the United Kingdom, and Scottish without.

The no campaign try to characterise it that way. I am not sure they have succeeded. Those who think of themselves as Scottish first put little weight on being British. I am proud to be a Scot but I always think of myself as British.
    The Norwegians did not cease to be Scandinavians when they voted Yes to independence in their 1905 referendum (Yes: 99.95%, No: 0.05%, Turnout: 85.4%).

The Scots will not cease to be British if they vote Yes on 18 September. Great Britain is an island and no vote on Earth can ever change that. Only extremely long-term geological changes could alter that.
    Surprised to see you make a slip like that.

Britain is an island, but Great Britain is a political construct created by James VI/I in an attempt to unite the two Kingdoms of Scotland and England.
    In Wikipedia terminology the above is referred to as "original research". In the popular tung it is referred to as "pish".

- "Great Britain, also known as Britain, is an island in the North Atlantic off the north-west coast of continental Europe."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

Have fun trying to edit that particular page to impose your own novel definition! :)
    I quote the historian Linda Colley, from her radio serial "Acts of Union and Disunion".

You can take your wikipedia page and eat it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Putting aside betting and what I think will happen aside, my personal view is that if I was in Scotland I'd be voting for independence.

I think there is more oil in the waters than is estimated and the No side/the Gov't has downplayed it.

Negative oil predictions ‘full of holes’
    - A new report says North Sea revenues could be worth £365bn by 2040

N-56, an apolitical economic think tank, has published an analysis of Scotland’s future oil and gas revenues which suggests they could be worth £365bn by 2040. The OBR has forecast a more conservative figure of £57bn.

The report, which draws on oil production forecasts and barrel prices by Oil & Gas UK, the industry body, and the findings of a recent review by oil tycoon Sir Ian Wood into maximising North Sea oil revenues, states that recoverable oil and gas reserves could range from 15bn to 24bn barrels.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/scotland/article1447959.ece
  • Options
    I think after Scotland votes No there will be some decent incentives for North Sea oil drilling to expand and production will increase. Obviously it would be politically daft to do this before the matter is settled.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Mr. L, the question is not Scottish or British. It's Scottish within the United Kingdom, and Scottish without.

The no campaign try to characterise it that way. I am not sure they have succeeded. Those who think of themselves as Scottish first put little weight on being British. I am proud to be a Scot but I always think of myself as British.
    The Norwegians did not cease to be Scandinavians when they voted Yes to independence in their 1905 referendum (Yes: 99.95%, No: 0.05%, Turnout: 85.4%).

The Scots will not cease to be British if they vote Yes on 18 September. Great Britain is an island and no vote on Earth can ever change that. Only extremely long-term geological changes could alter that.

Britain is an island, but Great Britain is a political construct created by James VI/I in an attempt to unite the two Kingdoms of Scotland and England.
    In Wikipedia terminology the above is referred to as "original research". In the popular tung it is referred to as "pish".

- "Great Britain, also known as Britain, is an island in the North Atlantic off the north-west coast of continental Europe."

Have fun trying to edit that particular page to impose your own novel definition! :)
    I quote the historian Linda Colley, from her radio serial "Acts of Union and Disunion".

Please feel free to try to edit that Wikipedia page using Colley as your supporting reference.

I'll get the popcorn.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Completely off topic but I was at the Test on Friday and Saturday and stayed in an hotel next to Battersea.

Wow. I mean wow. The scale of the development south of the river between Chelsea Bridge and Vauxhall has to be seen to be believed. A whole new city being created in 10 years. I would guess it will have a population of at least 200,000 by the time they are finished, possibly more. With this and Crossrail most of the construction in the UK must be taking place in London at the moment.

It will be fascinating to see what this does to the political map of London. Kensington and Chelsea on the march?

London is another country. I suspect that a Labour mayor and a Tory government would be an interesting proposition.

It's ridiculous the tests are done and dusted, and it's only just mid-August. Sadly, I won't get to see a single day of live cricket this year. My Middlesex membership has gone entirely unexploited and now it looks like I'll be abroad in early September when the last county games are being played at Lords. I love cricket in September - the fight against the dying of the light in the face of autumn's relentless march. Long shadows, fading warmth, the bullet crack of leather on willow carried in the thinning air, and all the time the hum of the traffic outside reminding you of the real world.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

Southam Observer, "Whatever others on here say I just don't believe that such a level of self-delusion is possible. "

A good counter-example is Karl Rove's on Fox on election night 2012, who simply refused to believe the projection of Obama's victory.

He could not believe it, just could not believe it, he thought the Republicans were going to win.

There's abundant evidence of high delusion at the top of the Romney camp. They simply didn't believe the state projections when swing states were called for Obama.

Very, very high levels of self-delusion are possible in politics.

Surely high levels of self-delusion are more than possible. I would have said normal.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited August 2014
    I don't get this idea that there has been a movement towards Yes in the polls recently. Looks like pure noise to me - see graph here:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/08/the-yes-camp-is-gaining-ground-in-the-scottish-independence-referendum/

I see no reason to change my estimate, made many months ago, of around 60% No, 40% Yes. (I don't, however, claim JackW's 0.5% margin of error!)
  • Options

usual deluded bollocks.

why not got back to 1745, 1314 or the battle of Mons Grappus while you're at it ?
    The Union was very strong prior to Attlee. He marked the beginning of the end.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090

DavidL said:

London is another country. I suspect that a Labour mayor and a Tory government would be an interesting proposition.

It's ridiculous the tests are done and dusted, and it's only just mid-August. Sadly, I won't get to see a single day of live cricket this year. My Middlesex membership has gone entirely unexploited and now it looks like I'll be abroad in early September when the last county games are being played at Lords. I love cricket in September - the fight against the dying of the light in the face of autumn's relentless march. Long shadows, fading warmth, the bullet crack of leather on willow carried in the thinning air, and all the time the hum of the traffic outside reminding you of the real world.

Jumpers for goalposts?!
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Pulpstar said:

Pretty well all of the low-hanging fruit (large fields) has been picked.

The two main opportunities are extractng more from existing fields and more small fields. However, the economics of both options has to be weighed against he cost of old and new oil from farther afield.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

Pulpstar said:

N-56, an apolitical economic think tank, has published an analysis of Scotland’s future oil and gas revenues which suggests they could be worth £365bn by 2040. The OBR has forecast a more conservative figure of £57bn.

The report, which draws on oil production forecasts and barrel prices by Oil & Gas UK, the industry body, and the findings of a recent review by oil tycoon Sir Ian Wood into maximising North Sea oil revenues, states that recoverable oil and gas reserves could range from 15bn to 24bn barrels.

ScotNats bet on yesterday's technologies.

The Stone Age didn't end because we ran out of stones, and the oil age won't end because we've run out of oil.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Apolitical think tank N-56 was founded by Dan Macdonald, who is a member of the advisory board for Yes Scotland, which is campaigning for independence.
    Apolitical, you bet.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    JonathanD said:

Fully agree with you and I'm now regretting not registering for a postal vote at my parents.

You do realise that would have been illegal?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Todays Populus

Lab 37 Con 32 LD 9 UKIP 14 Lab up 2 others unchanged
  • Options
    Another Tory MP backs the idea that hospital car park charges should be scrapped

Bad idea said the Tories on here when Ukip called for it

http://m.thurrockgazette.co.uk/news/11412943.Politicians_back_campaign_to_scrap_hospital_car_park_charges/
  • Options
    @PopulusPolls: CORRECTION Latest Populus VI: Lab 37 (+2), Con 32 (=), LD 9 (=), UKIP 14 (=), Oth 8 (-1). Tables here: http://t.co/wfmd75Phi2
  • Options

usual deluded bollocks.

The Union was very strong prior to Attlee. He marked the beginning of the end.
    The first Scot Nat was elected before 1945, surely. What did the Attlee Government do wrong? Not have as many Scots as Blair’s?
  • Options
    SO - why would a Labour Mayor and a Tory government be an interesting proposition? To be honest even Livingstone rather pulled his punches as Mayor. I suppose a Labour Mayor could go big on inequality, something similar to New York perhaps, but I think the better bet for social democracy is coming from the regions. The continuing and seemingly everlasting love affair between Labour and the LSE needs to end now.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Pulpstar said:

Pretty well all of the low-hanging fruit (large fields) has been picked.

The two main opportunities are extractng more from existing fields and more small fields. However, the economics of both options has to be weighed against he cost of old and new oil from farther afield.
    Now it is certain that there are huge reserves, numpty head has parroted the OBR fake statistics.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Please feel free to try to edit that Wikipedia page using Colley as your supporting reference.

I'll get the popcorn.
    Since when have Wikipedia editors - a small group of self-selecting pedants who have found something better to do than argue on obscure blog comment threads - been arbiters of fact?

Good for a first look, but no real authority.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    BBC: Julian Assange planning to leave the embassy "soon".
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    Need to get on with the airport expansion, wherever it might be.
  • Options

SO - why would a Labour Mayor and a Tory government be an interesting proposition? To be honest even Livingstone rather pulled his punches as Mayor. I suppose a Labour Mayor could go big on inequality, something similar to New York perhaps, but I think the better bet for social democracy is coming from the regions. The continuing and seemingly everlasting love affair between Labour and the LSE needs to end now.

I am assuming a Yes in Scotland, but I reckon we would see a lot more manoeuvring for further powers on the basis that London did not get the government it voted for. I expect that other big cities and certain regions will also apply similar arguments. In the end that will produce results.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

Ok I will admit to being seriously worried by this. Still a month to go and the mood in Scotland is clearly febrile.

I never understood JackW's confidence of 60:40. I think he ended up 60.5:39.5. He may still be proved right but this always seemed closer to me.

It is dangerous to rely on anecdotes but my perception from various conversations and public events recently is that Yes has run the most appalling and incompetent campaign imaginable. And, for many, that does not matter at all. They readily recognise that there will be problems, that Salmond and Sturgeon do not have any credible answers to a whole host of questions but they feel Scottish and want Scotland to be an independent country.

I feel the opposite way. It would not matter a damn to me if I was going to be a few thousand better off in an independent Scotland. I would still vote no in a heart beat. The UK is my country and I am desperate for it to remain so.

The campaign has throughout been bogged down in trivia and incompetence but Scots are now coming to terms with that question. Are they Scots or British? It is a biggie and I am really not sure which way they will jump.

For me this is going to be the key to the next debate. Attacking the incompetence that is Salmond is almost pointless. Darling must sell the UK, our shared values, our role in the world, the opportunities that we have together. My advice to him would be to almost ignore Salmond and speak to the camera.

The final McARSE was 40.5:59.5 on an 80.5% turnout. It had been in the 30's recently, so a slight shift to yes.

I thought it worth venturing a few quid on.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:

Another Tory MP backs the idea that hospital car park charges should be scrapped

http://m.thurrockgazette.co.uk/news/11412943.Politicians_back_campaign_to_scrap_hospital_car_park_charges/

I notice that the Gazette didn't mention that this campaign was supported by UKIP.
  • Options

DavidL said:

As lyrical as Betjeman (whose statue I also saw in St Pancreas).

Personally I love a bit of warmth with my cricket although I have been to some great ODIs at Lords in early September. Saturday was a truly great day in the OCR with a brilliant high view from third man.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Pulpstar said:

Sorry, but that is so much crap. You show zero understanding of the oil exploration sector. Exactly whose interest would it be to hold back on this "hidden" oil? Certainly not the independent sector who now dominate exploration. They need to announce finds to drive up their share prices. Raising cash for development of these fields is key. You can't do that on "hidden" oil. It's an industry that deals in billions and trillions. It is not exactly Scooby Doo, where "we'd have got away with developing this oil on the sly, if it weren't for you pesky kids..."

Or maybe you think the UK Govt. has "black ops" seismic vessels, rigs and drillships? Secretly going out at night to drill a bit deeper, before scudding back to Aberdeen as dawn breaks?

Oil exploration in the UK is very mature. We have a pretty solid idea of the hydrocarbon plays in our waters. Yes, there might be the odd 100 million barrel field still to find. They will each satisfy world demand for about, ooooh, 26 hours....
  • Options
    Alex Salmond should resign as first minister and leader of the Scottish National Party if he loses the independence vote exactly a month today, according to an exclusive YouGov poll for Times Red Box (YouGov chief Stephan Shakespeare writes)

....Our poll underlines the personal high stakes for Mr Salmond. If Scotland narrowly votes “no” on September 18 Scots say he should go, by a margin of 48 per cent to 38 per cent. If the “no” turns out to be an overwhelming majority, that margin increases to 52 per cent against 33 per cent
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

I notice that the Gazette didn't mention that this campaign was supported by UKIP.
    Where will the money come from to fill the gap in the hospital budget?

UKIP has a magic money tree!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    MikeK said:

isam said:

When I worked at Basildon Hospital some bright spark thought of having focus groups from the staff to talk about, inter alia, car park charges. One reason for introducing them apparently was that when the car park was free commuters used to park there and walk down to the station.
    Now the technology has improved etc, etc and I’m sure something could be sorted to ensure that only bona fide visitors could benefit from the car park, but it just goes to show that nothing’s ever that simple.
    And when a family member was dying at Basildon, we were provided with a free pass so that one car load could visit at all times and for as long as required.
  • Options

Alex Salmond should resign as first minister and leader of the Scottish National Party if he loses the independence vote exactly a month today, according to an exclusive YouGov poll for Times Red Box (YouGov chief Stephan Shakespeare writes)

....Our poll underlines the personal high stakes for Mr Salmond. If Scotland narrowly votes “no” on September 18 Scots say he should go, by a margin of 48 per cent to 38 per cent. If the “no” turns out to be an overwhelming majority, that margin increases to 52 per cent against 33 per cent

If Yes loses I think he will go. Not necessarily immediately but in good time for the next Scottish Parliament elections which are not that far away. Sturgeon will be the candidate for FM by then.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ok I will admit to being seriously worried by this. Still a month to go and the mood in Scotland is clearly febrile.

I never understood JackW's confidence of 60:40. I think he ended up 60.5:39.5. He may still be proved right but this always seemed closer to me.

It is dangerous to rely on anecdotes but my perception from various conversations and public events recently is that Yes has run the most appalling and incompetent campaign imaginable. And, for many, that does not matter at all. They readily recognise that there will be problems, that Salmond and Sturgeon do not have any credible answers to a whole host of questions but they feel Scottish and want Scotland to be an independent country.

I feel the opposite way. It would not matter a damn to me if I was going to be a few thousand better off in an independent Scotland. I would still vote no in a heart beat. The UK is my country and I am desperate for it to remain so.

The campaign has throughout been bogged down in trivia and incompetence but Scots are now coming to terms with that question. Are they Scots or British? It is a biggie and I am really not sure which way they will jump.

For me this is going to be the key to the next debate. Attacking the incompetence that is Salmond is almost pointless. Darling must sell the UK, our shared values, our role in the world, the opportunities that we have together. My advice to him would be to almost ignore Salmond and speak to the camera.

David, serious question , can you elaborate and explain on your quote "sell the UK, our shared values, our role in the world, the opportunities that we have together".
    Be interested to see if you can come up with anything positive.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Apparently Salmond says that plan B for independent Scotlands currency is a secret. I have not seen him saying this, but it has been reported, so not necessarily accurate. The question is could the YES campaign really ask people to vote for independence with one of the currency options being a secret ? Of course they could, but to anyone wanting to assess what independence might mean to them financially, it would not be very attractive to them. They could end up with the EURO and if they are anti-EU, they would not be very happy.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Sorry, but that is so much crap. You show zero understanding of the oil exploration sector. Exactly whose interest would it be to hold back on this "hidden" oil? Certainly not the independent sector who now dominate exploration. They need to announce finds to drive up their share prices. Raising cash for development of these fields is key. You can't do that on "hidden" oil. It's an industry that deals in billions and trillions. It is not exactly Scooby Doo, where "we'd have got away with developing this oil on the sly, if it weren't for you pesky kids..."

Or maybe you think the UK Govt. has "black ops" seismic vessels, rigs and drillships? Secretly going out at night to drill a bit deeper, before scudding back to Aberdeen as dawn breaks?

Oil exploration in the UK is very mature. We have a pretty solid idea of the hydrocarbon plays in our waters. Yes, there might be the odd 100 million barrel field still to find. They will each satisfy world demand for about, ooooh, 26 hours....
    That is you told Pulpstar, a world expert has put you in your place.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Apparently Salmond says that plan B for independent Scotlands currency is a secret. I have not seen him saying this, but it has been reported, so not necessarily accurate. The question is could the YES campaign really ask people to vote for independence with one of the currency options being a secret ? Of course they could, but to anyone wanting to assess what independence might mean to them financially, it would not be very attractive to them. They could end up with the EURO and if they are anti-EU, they would not be very happy.

We cannot *end up* with the Euro. We would have to run a non-Euro currency for at least two years to comply with convergence criteria.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:

isam said:

The idea is to clamp down on health tourism from people who haven't paid into the pot, we could easily finance free NHS car parks.
  • Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

When I worked at Basildon Hospital some bright spark thought of having focus groups from the staff to talk about, inter alia, car park charges. One reason for introducing them apparently was that when the car park was free commuters used to park there and walk down to the station.
    Now the technology has improved etc, etc and I’m sure something could be sorted to ensure that only bona fide visitors could benefit from the car park, but it just goes to show that nothing’s ever that simple.
    And when a family member was dying at Basildon, we were provided with a free pass so that one car load could visit at all times and for as long as required.
    Ticket validation machines in the wards?
    Seriously, if your local multiplex/shopping centre can implement a ticket validation scheme, then it should be possible for a hospital.
    High parking charges for non-visitors, free/validated parking for visitors, patients and staff?

• Options

looks fairly even stevens to me. 40% say he should stay, fair proportion of the population and I am sure Tories would love to have 40% support.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't understand why no-one has looked to Wikipedia for the true figures...
  • Options

I am assuming a Yes in Scotland, but I reckon we would see a lot more manoeuvring for further powers on the basis that London did not get the government it voted for. I expect that other big cities and certain regions will also apply similar arguments. In the end that will produce results.

True but London is inextricably linked to the most Tory part of Britain. It's just a matter of being city region in which the inside votes Labour and the outer section is strongly Tory. Greater London is also unlikely to reject the Tories to the same extent as Scotland. But perhaps one shouldn't underestimate Londoners sense of entitlement.

What is interesting about next year's GE (and I'll assume a NO vote for now) is that if Miliband makes relatively little progress in the South East but gets enough elsewhere to be the largest party, with LD support we could for the first time in a long time see a government where the provinces have the whip hand over the south east. That wouldn't necessarily be a problem (no more so than when the reverse was true) but for devolution. Talking about further powers for Scotland whilst forcing policies on the south east off the back of Scottish MPs will be problematic. I'm bearish on Tory chances at he next election but I'd make them odds on to get most votes in England.
  • Options

hucks67 said:

We cannot *end up* with the Euro. We would have to run a non-Euro currency for at least two years to comply with convergence criteria.
    TUD, these boys are not exactly the sharpest tools in the box.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

The production is expected to fall to one-third of its peak by 2020.[citation needed]

CITATION NEEDED.

That's a big statement to stick on a wikipedia page without a citation.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

That would be where he got his numbers , or maybe Financier provided them. Both are world experts it seems
  • Options
    Mosul damn recaptured from ISIS, it is reported:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28833519
  • Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

Tory mp for Harlow is leading the debate in the commons backed by Frank Field! You have to try and stop going onto auto pilot just to knock whatever Ukip say!
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

hucks67 said:

Scotland could use the Euro prior to joining the EU. There are African countries that use the Euro, who are not members of the EU.

I am not aware of EU rules that do not permit countries from the using the Euro in the situation Scotland would find themselves in. Unless you can point to the rules ?
  • Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

Seriously, if your local multiplex/shopping centre can implement a ticket validation scheme, then it should be possible for a hospital.
    High parking charges for non-visitors, free/validated parking for visitors, patients and staff?

Quite agree; don’t think the technolgy existed then; it must have been 20 years ago.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

David, serious question , can you elaborate and explain on your quote "sell the UK, our shared values, our role in the world, the opportunities that we have together".
    The UK has been a successful Union for over 300 years. It has given Scots endless opportunities that we would not have had without access to the British empire. It still does. We currently have a home market of 65m people. It is very, very easy to expand into that market without any of the complexities that come from being "abroad". Examples around the world show that would not be the case where there was a genuine border.

These opportunities give employment to tens of thousands of Scots in most of our successful industries. They benefit directly and immediately from the Union.

On the world stage the UK has generally been a force for good and decency. Like all countries we have made mistakes, Iraq being the most serious one recently, but we are an important voice for democracy, tolerance, decency and respect. The voice of rUK would be diminished by losing Scotland and Scotland itself would become completely irrelevant on the world stage. There may be some who think that a quiet life is a better life but I like being part of a country that can actually make a difference.

I have also seen what happens to small countries in the EU like Greece, Portugal and Ireland. Their views and interests simply do not count and get overridden by those that matter in their own selfish interests. As part of the UK we are one of the countries that matter.

On shared values I think that the peoples of the UK have so much more in common that divides them. We all support the welfare state and universal health care, the differences between the parties on this are much, much smaller than the extent to which they are in agreement. I really do not believe the differences of view between a tory government in the UK and a more left leaning electorate in Scotland are particularly meaningful in the big picture. Is it really worth even thinking about breaking up the Union because the tories think free health care is more efficiently delivered by private companies instead of state employees? Surely not.

For me Scottish nationalism is based on a narrow, parochial view of the world, a frankly old fashioned view that seems quaint in the internet age. Pride in your country is perfectly respectable but we would be giving up so much to make a point that is barely worth making in the first place. We are part of something bigger, better and more successful. We would be crazy to give it up.

• Options

MikeK said:

isam said:

Exactly.

Even pubs in Romford charge for parking but refund customers at the bar, it cant be that difficult to do the right thing by patients friends and families

• Options
    hucks67 said:

hucks67 said:

Scotland could use the Euro prior to joining the EU. There are African countries that use the Euro, who are not members of the EU.

I am not aware of EU rules that do not permit countries from the using the Euro in the situation Scotland would find themselves in. Unless you can point to the rules ?
    Highly unlikely though, it has been clearly stated that it will be the pound. First choice in CU but if not still the pound. Anybody who is listening will know this.
    There is no need to promote it as the unionists will fold when the pound drops.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Labour & Young Voters

"In the 9 months leading up to election day, considerable time will be spent at Labour HQ and elsewhere working out which groups of voters are most likely to vote Labour. As we’ve reported before, young people are overwhelmingly likely to back Labour – the problem is that they don’t vote. 41% of 17-21 year olds polled said they’d vote Labour, but 59% said they wouldn’t bother to vote.

Unfortunately, the response from activists and politicians alike to such polling is often fatalistic. Young people “just don’t care”, one MP told me recently – and that’s the kind of attitude that leads to a politics where young people are ignored and excluded from the debate. Their lack of engagement with politics and an unwillingness to vote is read as apathy, rather than discontent. It’s blamed on the young people themselves, rather than on a political system which fails to engage them (and when it does -as the Lib Dems did on tuition fees – it often seems to let them down).

Fortunately, the Labour Party have realised the importance of a strong youth vote at the next election, and as part of the party’s coalition of voters not just next year, but in subsequent elections too. A review – dubbed “Generation Y Vote” – has been put in place at the behest of Ed Miliband and Douglas Alexander to examine the 18-35 age group, identify what is stopping them from voting, and what the key issues are for this group that would drive them to the polls. The name is intended to reflect both the focus on Generation Y (people born between 1980 and 2000), and also a nod to the apathy that the party is trying to tackle (a play on “why vote”)."

http://labourlist.org/2014/08/labours-drive-to-engage-with-young-voters/
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Patrick said:

A really interesting article showing that the actual YES vote in referendums nearly always underperforms the latest polling:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11040226/Independence-referendum-Heres-why-Scotland-will-vote-No-probably.html

Liberal Democrat Voters for Independence:

- "... the 1997 referendum in Scotland that lead to the creation of the Scottish Parliament.
    It resulted in a massive YES vote (74.3%) to be exact. What is not often said is that polling throughout the campaign never put the YES vote that high. In fact in the weeks before the vote polls were showing support to be around the 55% mark.

What happened was a triumph of hope over fear. When people were in the voting booth, away from the press and TV media they lost their inhibitions and voted for a positive future.

The same will happen again."
    The main reason that it is not often said is that it's not true.
    Removing Don't Knows gives polling scores from June 97 to eve-of-poll of between 71-77 percent for YES with an average of 74%.

Don't people ever check these sort of things? It only takes a couple of minutes with google.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hucks67 said:

hucks67 said:

Afaik there are no African countries that use the Euro, though their currencies may be pegged to it.
    There's zero chance of Scotland using the Euro in the transition period between voting Yes and confirming our EU membership.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    To amplify DavidL's points, a good example is scientific research.

Scotland of course has a wonderful history in scientific research and its universities punch above their weight. They take more science grants per head than English or Welsh universities.

An independent Scotland would have to make up that shortfall, and also find the subscriptions for scientific organisations like CERN, ESA and ESO.

Not all small European countries are members of CERN (Ireland isn't). Not all small European countries are members of ESA or ESO (Norway isn't).

It is not cost-effective if you have a small scientific community to join these costly organisations.

But, if you don't, the price you pay is that your scientific talent moves away to the rUK, to the US, to continental Europe. You become a scientific backwater.

I'd guess there is a minimum size for a country to maintain a really thriving and active scientific research base -- the smallest country I can think of that does is Switzerland (pop. 8 million).

• Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

Exactly.

Even pubs in Romford charge for parking but refund customers at the bar, it cant be that difficult to do the right thing by patients friends and families

Better bus services, for example from park and rides in cities would help, too.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

For me Scottish nationalism is based on a narrow, parochial view of the world, a frankly old fashioned view that seems quaint in the internet age. Pride in your country is perfectly respectable but we would be giving up so much to make a point that is barely worth making in the first place. We are part of something bigger, better and more successful. We would be crazy to give it up.
    Agree entirely! If a divorce happens it will be a lot nastier than the sunny separatists imagine. The people of rUK want Scotland to stay - if they Scotland tells them to get lost, they will find the compliment returned in spades. It will be a great pity - and take years to heal.
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Agree entirely! If a divorce happens it will be a lot nastier than the sunny separatists imagine. The people of rUK want Scotland to stay - if they Scotland tells them to get lost, they will find the compliment returned in spades. It will be a great pity - and take years to heal.
    So basically, you're saying: stay with us or you'll regret it! The cry of the abusive husband.
    Thankfully, not everybody shares your views.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

I hope not - Kensington has hollowed out as a community, with most houses owned by oligarchs. Result is that local shops have been collapsing, and there are gapping holes in the high street.

Chelsea is always fun, but very busy, very Eurotrash. Not the nice little haven it was when I was growing up. Grumpf.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    malcolmg said:

That would be where he got his numbers , or maybe Financier provided them. Both are world experts it seems

Well, a quarter of a century in the oil and gas industry would appear to make me what passes for an expert round these parts....

Tell us, malcolmg, what are you an expert in - other than infantile abuse?

• Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

I hope not - Kensington has hollowed out as a community, with most houses owned by oligarchs. Result is that local shops have been collapsing, and there are gapping holes in the high street.

Chelsea is always fun, but very busy, very Eurotrash. Not the nice little haven it was when I was growing up. Grumpf.

Hate to worry you but the development immediately opposite my hotel had a specified "Russian office" for potential purchasers!
  • Options
    Who's a blogger?

How many hits constitutes a good day?

I started my blog http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.co.uk/ earlier this month and had my best day yesterday, when do I start asking for advertisers to cough up?!
  • Options
    Ok Malcolm. Your turn. Why should I vote yes?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

So basically, you're saying: stay with us or you'll regret it! The cry of the abusive husband.
    Thankfully, not everybody shares your views.
    No. I am simply stating what the opinion polls state - yesterday in YouGov - 64% in E&W oppose Scottish independence, 60% oppose a currency Union and 46% would be happy to see Trident relocated. No prisoners there......
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Hate to worry you but the development immediately opposite my hotel had a specified "Russian office" for potential purchasers!
    Do you think it might even become as nice as Romford?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kake_pugh/11119441225/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    My only concern about voting UKIP in May was that a strong UKIP vote would be a boost to Scottish independence. That doesn't seem to be the case.

For all the passion and effort on the Yes side, I've no reason to believe that the polling is inaccurate. As Andy Cooke pointed out, polling for the Devolution referendum was pretty accurate.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Banning foreign ownership of residential property is a no Brainer.
  • Options
    isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

Tory mp for Harlow is leading the debate in the commons backed by Frank Field! You have to try and stop going onto auto pilot just to knock whatever Ukip say!
    No one is knocking what UKIP is saying per se (outraged victimhood seems to be your standard response to any criticism).

The point is that parking charges represent an important income stream to hospitals.

There is a good case for abolishing them - it's basically a somewhat random hidden charge for healthcare - but if you do so then either savings need to be found (in the NHS or elsewhere) or taxes have to rise. And no, @MikeK, "clamping down on health tourism" won't do as an answer - it's as credible as the Tories "cutting red tape" or Labour's "funded by the banker's tax": a stock answer that means nothing.

I'd rather we have a sensible conversation about what we want from the health service, how we structure it (DGHs are a classic example of "I wouldn't start from here") and how we are going to pay for it.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

You are right. It would be completely pointless and simply have ownership hidden in UK registered corporations. And how do you think we are funding our trade deficit by the way?
  • Options
    Charles said:

And no, @MikeK, "clamping down on health tourism" won't do as an answer - it's as credible as the Tories "cutting red tape" or Labour's "funded by the banker's tax": a stock answer that means nothing.

And even to the extent that there is a pot of money available from 'health tourists', it's not obvious that the priority for spending that pot should be eliminating car parking charges. There are plenty of other priorities.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

It's inevitable.

What amused me was that the day after the US embassy confirmed it was going to Nine Elms two floors of the tower block directly overlooking it sold, off plan, to Chinese buyers who hadn't previously been looking at the site.
  • Options
    O/T

Anyone have a view on Michelle Donelan, the Tory PPC for Chippenham? Is she vaguely sensible?

http://michelledonelan.co.uk/about/
  • Options
    Incidentally, talking of NHS charges, having turned 60 I now don't have to pay prescription charges. Does anyone understand why it was sensible for me to pay them before (so that healthcare wasn't 'free at the point of use' when I was 59) but isn't now?
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

It's inevitable.

What amused me was that the day after the US embassy confirmed it was going to Nine Elms two floors of the tower block directly overlooking it sold, off plan, to Chinese buyers who hadn't previously been looking at the site.
    LOL. So they won't be sending all their messages by microwave to MI6 just across the way after all?

That Embassy Gardens development is another huge site but it seemed odd having a sign for the US embassy almost in the middle of it.

What I found amusing was that there are still some old yards and semi derelict properties sitting in between the cranes. I do wonder if the owners of these companies have any idea of what they are sitting on.
  • Options

Incidentally, talking of NHS charges, having turned 60 I now don't have to pay prescription charges. Does anyone understand why it was sensible for me to pay them before (so that healthcare wasn't 'free at the point of use' when I was 59) but isn't now?

Because you are a member of a segment of the electorate that is heavily targeted because they have a high propensity to vote?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Because you are a member of a segment of the electorate that is heavily targeted because they have a high propensity to vote?
    Charles, you are so cynical.

• Options
    The official ‘purdah’ period for the referendum starts on Friday. What difference will this make for the rest of the campaign?
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

No one is knocking what UKIP is saying per se (outraged victimhood seems to be your standard response to any criticism).

The point is that parking charges represent an important income stream to hospitals.

There is a good case for abolishing them - it's basically a somewhat random hidden charge for healthcare - but if you do so then either savings need to be found (in the NHS or elsewhere) or taxes have to rise. And no, @MikeK, "clamping down on health tourism" won't do as an answer - it's as credible as the Tories "cutting red tape" or Labour's "funded by the banker's tax": a stock answer that means nothing.

I'd rather we have a sensible conversation about what we want from the health service, how we structure it (DGHs are a classic example of "I wouldn't start from here") and how we are going to pay for it.
    I would quite like to park for free at the hospital.

But it is typical of the cheap populism of politicians in election years.

Wales abolished NHS car park charges a few years ago. Not the best use of hospital budgets there methinks, bearing in mind their poor outcomes and long waiting lists.
  • Options

People over 60 get out and vote far more than the sub 60ers.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    DavidL said:

FalseFlag said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

You are right. It would be completely pointless and simply have ownership hidden in UK registered corporations. And how do you think we are funding our trade deficit by the way?
    The current account always balances, whether that would be due to other capital inflows, a decline in the currency leading to lower imports and more exports, it always balances. Substantial research has shown it is better not have one's economy exposed to violent international capital inflows and the boom/bust cycles that they accentuate.

Australia had/has a very workable system.

Still it would be wise for our leaders to take the housing crisis/cost of living crisis seriously. I actually see how my cohort struggle to afford a reasonable place to afford. As a Conservative there is also a clear link between voting preference and the level of affordable family formation. London housing is for Londoners not money laundering, Chinese investors etc.
  • Options
    Charles said:

The whole issue of prescription charges has become a complete nonsense. In England, anyway, since they’ve been abolished in Scotland and Wales! Around 80% of prescriptions are, in fact, free of charge and the charge in fact represents something very close to the average cost of the items prescribed. Hence, in a significant proportion of cases, the charge is veery significantly higher than the “ingredient” cost.
    It also represents a very significant marginal tax on those who do not have any reason for exemption, when three or four items are prescribed.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    DIPLOMACY POST:

15 minutes to deadline.

If you are playing (And some of you have been very very quiet) for the love of God make sure you get your moves in before the deadline
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

A bribe of a few quid a year is hardly likely to change the way I, or anyone else, votes.

The whole system seems completely arbitrary. There is a range of medical exemptions, but these seem to have been chosen at random. If you know you are going to need a lot of prescriptions, you can buy a 3-month or 12-month season ticket, but I bet a lot of people who are on low incomes don't take advantage of that and in any case you don't necessarily know in advance that you'll be ill!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

I do believe you knocked what UKIP said when I linked to their proposal, even though you hadn't read it as you were "too busy" (pompous know-it-all- ness seems to be your standard response to any non Tory idea)

We could charge visitors entry fee to wards and when someone suggested making it free, the argument that they

"represent an important income stream to hospitals"

Would be as valid as the one you make now.. I would still say people should be able to visit their families in hospital for free and it was wrong they should be charged

When I visited my Dad in hospital in March 2010 I seriously couldn't believe we had to pay to use the car park.. such is life I thought

That was under a Labour government, now we have the other two in charge and it stays the same.. a new party makes it policy to scrap the charges and I agree.. so what?
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

DavidL said:

FalseFlag said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

The current account always balances, whether that would be due to other capital inflows, a decline in the currency leading to lower imports and more exports, it always balances. Substantial research has shown it is better not have one's economy exposed to violent international capital inflows and the boom/bust cycles that they accentuate.

Australia had/has a very workable system.

Still it would be wise for our leaders to take the housing crisis/cost of living crisis seriously. I actually see how my cohort struggle to afford a reasonable place to afford. As a Conservative there is also a clear link between voting preference and the level of affordable family formation. London housing is for Londoners not money laundering, Chinese investors etc.
    A conservative who doesn't believe in a free market. Interesting...

It seems to me that selling cubic feet of London airspace that was previously empty to Russians, Chinese or Arabs is quite a good way of balancing the current account until we start exporting more. That does not mean that there is not a serious problem with the availability of suitable housing for families in London of course. Clearly there is.

I think that you will also find that the capital inflows and outflows through London completely and absolutely dwarf the entire UK economy on an almost daily basis. We make money on the turn which helps too. We cannot shut ourselves off from the world and should not strive to but we do need to do what we can to help our own.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Charles said:

A bribe of a few quid a year is hardly likely to change the way I, or anyone else, votes.

Not for yourself or DavidL (Wrt the Scottish question) but one of my colleagues is undecided UKIP/Lib Dem and it "depends on the freebies" (Free school meals is keeping her just about in the Clegg camp I think). So there are those who it may swing their vote.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not for yourself or DavidL (Wrt the Scottish question) but one of my colleagues is undecided UKIP/Lib Dem and it "depends on the freebies" (Free school meals is keeping her just about in the Clegg camp I think). So there are those who it may swing their vote.

Well at least she knows what she wants, which is more than most voters!

To be fair, though, the cost of school meals can be a pretty substantial item on the budget for families on modest incomes.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Well at least she knows what she wants, which is more than most voters!

To be fair, though, the cost of school meals can be a pretty substantial item on the budget for families on modest incomes.
    I think it depends how big the sum of cash is involved to be honest. I could see the Conservatives gaining masses of votes in the South East (Probably where they need them least) if IHT was eliminated from primary residency or upped to a million.
  • Options
    On Diplomacy, Mr. Palmer's engineered a remarkable comeback for Russia in the Deathmatch. Most dogged Russian performance since Rasputin.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Charles said:

isam said:

MikeK said:

isam said:

Good post. That said, does anyone know what proportion of NHS funding (or simply hospital funding) comes from parking charges? I've no idea, but would guess it's a fairly small proportion as well as a somewhat randon irritant, as you say.

To open a different front, what proportion of airport revenue comes from fees from parking operators? The price must be ludicrously disproportionate to the cost of provision of a space of land and some low-quality bus shuttle and cleaning services, to the point that a low-cost holiday may cost less than the fee to park. Coupled with the other ripoffs at British airports (£1 for 10 minutes internet access, exorbitant food etc.) we're clearly subsidising the actual cost of running the airport in diverse ways that aren't as common abroad (e.g. at most airports around the world, internet access is usually free). That's not a terrible thing, necessarily - it enables smart travellers who avoid all the rip-offs to travel more cheaply than elsewhere - but it's an example of a distorted market.
This discussion has been closed.