Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : August 14th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : August 14th 2014

South Normanton East on Bolsover (Lab Defence)
Result of last election to council (2011): Labour 32, Independents 4, Green 1 (Labour majority of 27)
Result of last election in ward (2011): Emboldened denotes elected
Labour 647, 597
Conservative 248, 228
British National Party 176
Candidates duly nominated: Tracey Cannon (Lab), Robert Sainsbury (Con)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Mike is going to rue the day for tweeting this

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3m

Brilliant from @RiffRaff41 . Ask Alex Salmond to solve relationship problems!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvBRvQ4IQAACjvq.jpg
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good evening, everyone.

Thanks for this, Mr. Hayfield.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Far be it from me to carp, but the Lambeth figures look a bit odd.
    Knight’s Hill on Lambeth (Lab Defence)
    "Result of last election to council (2014): Labour 59, Conservatives 3, Green 1 (Labour majority of 63)”
    I make it a Labour majority of 55.

To be fair, I don’t expect the situation to be any different tomorrow morning!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics: Alex Salmond accused of misleading voters over Bank of England currency union claim http://t.co/QOAepiKqpI
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Alex Salmond accused of misleading voters over Bank of England currency union claim http://t.co/QOAepiKqpI

"In an extraordinary move, the Bank issued a statement making clear that claims by John Swinney, the Scottish Finance Minister, that it had entered “technical discussions” over a currency union were inaccurate. "

Wow.
  • Options

"In an extraordinary move, the Bank issued a statement making clear that claims by John Swinney, the Scottish Finance Minister, that it had entered “technical discussions” over a currency union were inaccurate. "

Wow.

That'll be the second debate then...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Wow.
    These discussions as non existent as the legal advice on and Independent Scotland automatically joining the EU?
  • Options

These discussions as non existent as the legal advice on and Independent Scotland automatically joining the EU?

It's worth rewatching the Jackie Bird interview after this. Eck is bluffing the entire time
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Isn't that a schoolboy error from the SNP?

Currency was already an Achilles' heel for them. As Napoleon said, never reinforce failure.

Edited extra bit: just over a week until F1 resumes in Spa. Nyoooooooom!

My mid-season review, with a graph comparing how hedging and not-hedging compare, is up here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/the-2014-mid-season-review.html
  • Options

I thought it was funnier when I posted it 4 days ago...

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/357190/#Comment_357190
  • Options
    Tony Pulis leaves Crystal Palace.

Wasn't expecting that one.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    Scott_P said:

I thought it was funnier when I posted it 4 days ago...

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/357190/#Comment_357190
    Actually, I think the latter of the three letters is funnier (yes, we get Viz): "Pregnant with my boss's child"

It is followed by: "Next week: Nigel Farage explains how leaving the EU is the only cure for vaginal dryness."
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited August 2014
    Oil down $3 today to $102.

That is a 12 month low - see link below (today's move is not yet on the graph).

I know the £ has fallen about 3 cents in the last few days but even so could we be about to see some further falls in petrol prices - pushing well below the current average of approx 127.9p to 129.9p?

If it could fall below 125p that might be quite a positive psychological boost to the feelgood factor.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/commodities/143908/twelve_month.stm
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    I do enjoy these potted histories of electoral divisions up and down the nation. Even where the council majorities are unassailable, there's usually a good chance of some interesting facts to come out of them at least. The sharp rise and fall and rise and fall again of the LDs in Lambeth is quite fascinating. Such swings, such interest.
  • Options
    Maliki announces he'll step aside:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28798033
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

Next week Alex Salmond explains the offside rule.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Jump or pushed?
  • Options
    Mr. Hopkins, I believe he allowed gravity to take its natural course.

Anyway, hopefully this will improve the situation a little and allow political wrangling to shortly end.
  • Options

Palace now very strong contenders for relegation, available at 5/2 from Wm Hill, etc ..... really over-priced imho, but DYOR.

• Options

Palace now very strong contenders for relegation, available at 5/2 from Wm Hill, etc ..... really over-priced imho, but DYOR.

If they get Malky Mackay, then I'd back them to stay up
  • Options
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · now

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories neck-and-neck: CON 35%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories neck-and-neck: CON 35%, LAB 35%, LD 8%, UKIP 12%
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited August 2014
    PB Hodges back to the top of the polling hill....35/35
  • Options

We'll see, but i doubt you'll be able to get more than 7/4 in 24hrs time.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Can almost smell crossover
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    woody662 said:

Can almost smell crossover

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal!
  • Options

Yeah, I'm umming and ahhing.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Probably Populus will have something similar tomorrow.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Mr pullis,please can you keep away from the leeds job until my team (Bradford) have played them ;-)

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Naughty public, failing to take one for the union in this poll.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I know, and I have a stint as PB guest editor coming up.

I was hoping for a quiet time.

• Options
    RobD said:

With Eck doing his utmost to throw the indyref, maybe they think it's safe to vote Tory again..?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    edited August 2014
    SeanT said:

Have to agree with Roger fpt, five squad cars swooping on the ex-home of a 70-something guy who is actually in Portugal, to investigate a 30 year old allegation?

By all means investigate, but if only the South Yorkshire police had showed such alacrity and vigour when underage white girls were being groomed, drugged, raped and sold as sex slaves by Asian gangs, right across Yorkshire, over those intervening three decades.

what?

if only the police had showed such alacrity about the robbery of a house at 45 The Avenue, Cheam in 1955.

What the chuffing hell is your point? It is quite obvious that the police have been going after all kinds of decades-old impropriety. Why the surprise at this one?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    SeanT said:

Have to agree with Roger fpt, five squad cars swooping on the ex-home of a 70-something guy who is actually in Portugal, to investigate a 30 year old allegation?

By all means investigate, but if only the South Yorkshire police had showed such alacrity and vigour when underage white girls were being groomed, drugged, raped and sold as sex slaves by Asian gangs, right across Yorkshire, over those intervening three decades.

That was probably what Roger was thinking too

NOT!

• Options
    @SkyBet: David Moyes (3/1) & Malky Mackay (4/1) are now both in our next Crystal Palace manager market -> http://t.co/xOf3WGR86D
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Knight's Hill - what Harry (understandably if you are not connected to local Lambeth politics) missed was the reason for the by-election... Sonia Winifred was elected in May, and then realised that she was employed by the council (as a teaching assistant) and so was ineligible. She thus resigned as a TA, resigned as a councillor to cause a by-election, and is standing again (and will almost certainly be elected) so that will be no change other than a £12k waste of Lambeth taxpayers money due to a 'silly mistake' by both her and her agent not reading a Nomination form correctly...

(Sorry - feels better to get that off my chest slightly.)

As you were
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT ..... writing as succinctly as that you should definitely have a future writing for a national newspaper.
    Oh wait .......
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Yeah, I'm umming and ahhing.
    Pulis had CP well-organised and efficient, allowing players like Puncheon to see them safe.

I would say the bolder and more radical the vision of the incoming manager, the more likely they are to go down.
  • Options

RobD said:

Please can you describe all polls as good for the blues. Thanks!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    EIC EMWMBPM> I thank you and goodnight.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Please can you describe all polls as good for the blues. Thanks!
    If the polls are like this, I'll be comparing Dave to Scipio Africanus and Ed Miliband to Hannibal.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Palace go for Lennon and they are down by November ...
  • Options
    MikeL said:

On a Thursday...
  • Options
    The more important stat is the YouGov average Lab lead this week - 2.25 (average of 4 polls, one poll still to come).

Last 14 weeks - oldest first:

1.8 = Euros
    2.0 = Euros
    2.4 = Random blip?
    3.0 = Real move lower?
    3.2 = Fall sustained
    2.25 = This week (one poll to come)

So where's the trend?

After the definite dip for the Euros, the lead was steady at between 4 and 5 for several weeks. The 2.4 looked like a random blip.

The 3.0 three weeks ago probably now looks like a real move lower which was sustained the week after with the 3.2. The 4.2 last week maybe now looks random on the upside with this week reinforcing the downward move three weeks ago.
  • Options

EIC EMWMBPM> I thank you and goodnight.

@MSmithsonPB: Electoral calculus has LAB 3 short of majority on tonight's CON 35, LAB 35 shares. See. http://t.co/stxGRZbuB4
  • Options
    Will update the spreadsheet as soon as I get out of this tunnel!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Worried frowns chez Miliband this evening.

No, Ed is too intellectually confident for that...
  • Options

Excruciatingly close to Mr Power paying out on my crossover bet after 9 months, but probably now only a matter of time.
    This poll (as well as last night's) probably too late for inclusion in Stephen Fisher's GE seats projection tomorrow, i.e UKPR's moving poll average.
  • Options

Excruciatingly close to Mr Power paying out on my crossover bet after 9 months, but probably now only a matter of time.
    This poll (as well as last night's) probably too late for inclusion in Stephen Fisher's GE seats projection tomorrow, i.e UKPR's moving poll average.
    Has YouGov not yet had a Tory lead?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    So a dead heat for the new Gold Standard now that ICM has disgraced itself.
  • Options

RobD said:

Fat chance. Mike going away is the cue for all hell breaking loose.
    It should be a PB golden rule.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited August 2014

RobD said:

It is, former guest editors, David Herdson and Double Carpet say it is The PB Golden Rule.

On Saturday night, I'm expecting at least three Westminster VI polls and maybe as many as three Indyref polls.

Crossover in both?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    Europe looking pretty bad - how could anyone think that a union could prosper where there is not the ease and convenience of a common language, nor absolute freedom of movement, nor cohesion of culture, nor a broadly aligned economic cycle.

Are you listening, Scotlandshire?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Roger said:

No, ICM will remain the Gold Standard.

All good pollsters, shall produce at least one outlier in every 20 of their polls.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,824
    edited August 2014
    SeanT said:

Isn't the reason they do these investigations so openly and seemingly OTT because they hope others will come forward and to play "mind game's" with the person they are investigating. To make them feel like the net is closing in, kinda..?

On the other hand by doing this so publically and openly they've probably destroyed Sir Cliff's career today. If it was to turn out that he's completely innocent that's tough thing to have happen...
  • Options
    Palace now 2/1 with Hills for the drop.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307

Jump or pushed?
    As reported on here last night the Iranians pulled their support then gave him some assurances on his future.

So he was done.

• Options

Palace now 2/1 with Hills for the drop.

And that's before they appoint Moyes...
  • Options

Roger said:

All good pollsters, shall produce at least one outlier in every 20 of their polls.
    The difficult thing is knowing which of the 20 it is!
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Roger said:

The outlier is the one poll that is most unfavourable for your party!
  • Options

RobD said:

Thinking of total black swans, is there a set point at which we know that there will be no more by-elections if the proverbial bus incident occured, or is it just an 'unwritten' no point if within 3 months?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited August 2014
    Lennon said:

Roger said:

before the zzz's hit me. I have been very careful NOT to call ICM an outlier even tho it was my first instinct. We wont know if its an outlier for a few months. ICM Is the gold standard irrespective if its good or bad for the party I support.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Lennon said:

RobD said:

Thinking of total black swans, is there a set point at which we know that there will be no more by-elections if the proverbial bus incident occured, or is it just an 'unwritten' no point if within 3 months?
    Over 5 months.

The Labour MP for one of the Leicester seats died in December 2009, and Gordon Brown decided not to hold a by-election, and the voters were without an MP until the general election.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Jump or pushed?
    Nikita Krushchev: did he fall, or was he pushtoff?
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited August 2014
    GIN1138 said:

Isn't the reason they do these investigations so openly and seemingly OTT because they hope others will come forward and to play "mind game's" with the person they are investigating. To make them feel like the net is closing in, kinda..?

On the other hand by doing this so publically and openly they've probably destroyed Sir Cliff's career today. If it was to turn out that he's completely innocent that's tough thing to have happen...

If the warrant was granted without sufficient grounds, or if the police acted in bad faith in obtaining it, it is open to Sir Cliff to apply to the High Court for an order to bring up and quash the warrant, a declaration that the search was unlawful, a mandatory order requiring the return of property seized during the search, and damages.
  • Options
    If it wasn't for the ICM poll I think Dr Fishers model would be looking good this week!

ICM is still the gold standard though, because that title relates to it's past record in being the UK's best pollster at general elections.
  • Options
    AEP

@AmbroseEP: I may have between unfair to Hollande yesterday, saying he was past saving. France is stirring. EMU revolt?
    http://t.co/BMAapQ4Z9h
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Lennon said:

Roger said:

before the zzz's hit me. I have been very careful NOT to call ICM an outlier even tho it was my first instinct. We wont know if its an outlier for a few months. ICM Is the gold standard irrespective if its good or bad for the party I support.
    ICM was an outlier !
  • Options
    Lennon said:

RobD said:

6 months I think - and that is up to Parliament being dissolved. So beginning of October.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Lennon said:

RobD said:

Over 5 months.

The Labour MP for one of the Leicester seats died in December 2009, and Gordon Brown decided not to hold a by-election, and the voters were without an MP until the general election.
    That is an unusual situation, Gordon Brown not vacillating
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

GIN1138 said:

If the warrant was granted without sufficient grounds, or if the police acted in bad faith in obtaining it, it is open to Sir Cliff to apply to the High Court for an order to bring up and quash the warrant, a declaration that the search was unlawful, a mandatory order requiring the return of property seized during the search, and damages.
    Are there any circumstances in which he can sue for a share of the proceeds from the sale of the broadcast rights for the search?
  • Options
    ICM really wasn't an outlier.

The true position is something like Labour ahead 2-3%.

Allowing for margin of error, normal sampling variations, slightly different methodologies, and the long term trend of the Labour lead falling, we're going to see some weird polling.

Thus a Tory lead of 3% with one pollster, and a Lab lead of 7% with another pollster, is them showing the same thing.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    This looks serious and had better be true and not some Journo trying to grab headlines:

The Telegraph ‏@Telegraph 3m
    Russian armoured vehicles and military trucks cross the border from Russia into Ukraine http://fw.to/izNVVlP
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Lennon said:

RobD said:

6 months I think - and that is up to Parliament being dissolved. So beginning of October.
    Isnt the 6 month rule for councils? There was a by-election in late Feb 1997.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Useless fact: Knight's Hill had the highest percentage of mixed race people in London in the 2001 census.

I think it was overtaken in 2011 by a few other wards.
  • Options
    Neil said:

MikeL said:

Lennon said:

RobD said:

Feb 1997 is irrelevant because a by-election can be called at any time - as long as Parliament hadn't dissolved. The question is how long are you allowed to leave it if you want to.

Don't know about councils.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Are there any circumstances in which he can sue for a share of the proceeds from the sale of the broadcast rights for the search?

Highly unlikely. That said, there is a lot of interesting material on the privacy rights, if any, of those arrested, but not charged, in the recent judgment of the Court of Appeal (Lord Dyson MR, Sharp & Vos LJJ) in PNM v Times Newspapers Ltd And Ors [2014] EWCA Civ 1132. [It should be noted that there is an outstanding application for permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.] In any event, whoever leaked the fact of the search to the media in advance of the execution of the warrant has a serious case to answer on a criminal charge of wilful misconduct in public office.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

GIN1138 said:

The issue isn't the warrant but, as Neil suggests, the fact that someone tipped off the media.

A very successful entertainer, whose work is loved by many has seen his career destroyed today, and his reputation as a national mascot tarnished. He may be guilty, he may be innocent. But the way the police acted this publicly is unforgiveable.
  • Options
    Ummm, posts are going missing.
  • Options
    Indy front page complimentary about Gove shock !
  • Options
    In reply to Mike K....

It is unclear if the Russian formations are moving in though everyone, NATO included, have been aware that they have been prepping to go in with the cover of this humanitarian mission.

The difficulty is that Russian military gear, including armour, has been moving across the border for weeks in separatist hands, just not official Russian formations.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Neil said:

MikeL said:

Lennon said:

RobD said:

Feb 1997 is irrelevant because a by-election can be called at any time - as long as Parliament hadn't dissolved. The question is how long are you allowed to leave it if you want to.
    I dont think that was the question. I thought the question is when is the latest we could have a by-election in this parliament.

In Ireland the last Government was taken to court over a delay of more than a year in holding a by-election. The High Court said that such a delay offended the constitution.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited August 2014
    I'm not a big fan of betting on football managerial appointments - it's a licence for the bookies to make money and certainly I wouldn't be backing Malky Mackay, already installed as the 5/4 favourite for the Crystal Palace hot seat.
    If pressed, I'd probably go for Chris Hughton on offer at 25/1 with BetVictor.
    DYOR
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Test
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    MikeK said:

This looks serious and had better be true and not some Journo trying to grab headlines:

Russian armoured vehicles and military trucks cross the border from Russia into Ukraine http://fw.to/izNVVlP

• Options
    edited August 2014
    <blockquote class

• Options
    MikeK said:

It is as yet unconfirmed. Part of the problem is that Russian military vehicles have been crossing the border for weeks in separatist hands, just not official Russian army formations. In addition Russian military artillery has been shelling across the border for some time as well.

Add the fact that the Ukrainians have left some rather seriously deep pockets of the border pretty much unguarded as they have swung west and inward in an attempt to cut of separatist lines of communications and supply and it all adds up to a not so straightforward situation.

Everyone, NATO included, is fully aware however that Russians are prepping to go in with the cover of this humanitarian supply mission.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Allowing for margin of error, normal sampling variations, slightly different methodologies, and the long term trend of the Labour lead falling, we're going to see some weird polling.

Thus a Tory lead of 3% with one pollster, and a Lab lead of 7% with another pollster, is them showing the same thing.

I do hope you're going to submit some moves in the diplomacy game !

You missed your build by the way.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    TGOHF said:

AEP

@AmbroseEP: I may have between unfair to Hollande yesterday, saying he was past saving. France is stirring. EMU revolt?

2 comments from the article

"You only have to talk to French people to understand why that country is going down the tube fast. The bureaucracy is stifling you cannot even set up a small business without half a dozen permits and then you have to pay tax in advance. There public sector is so huge you cannot believe it. And the people just don't understand the concept of issues like reducing the cost of benefits and pensions. Businesses are shutting at a fast rate and no business is growing or taking on staff.
    No one is prepared to take or impose the pain that we went through in the 1980's and in the last 5 years."

"The party has gone on too long within western countries. The truth is, very few people are prepared to accept the harsh reality and that is, a significant reduction in our standard of living coupled with unstable working patterns.

Governments have simply promised their citizens far too much and the truth is, they cannot keep their promises.

The choice ahead is either, austerity or borrowing more, neither are palatable; however austerity unfortunately is the more sensible and realistic option.

Austerity will be very painful now, and will plunge us into a depression, however eventually it will pass, maybe 20 to 30 years.

Borrowing more, which seems to be the preferred option for western Governments, including the UK, will end up as a complete train wreck. Don't think the UK are applying austerity for one moment, they are simply trying to slow down the rate of debt increase, but this will be hard as the interest payments that have to be serviced becomes a higher percentage of the debt.

In short, we should have had honest politicians telling us as it is, instead of career politicians that are in it for the short term and just simply kick the can down the road. Ideally, we should be critical thinkers that are not hood winked by our politicians, but hey most of us would be happy to watch so called reality programmes on TV, and worship poor celebrity role models."
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    I look forward to a YouGov outlier of a Tory 4% lead the night OGH goes on his hols....
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Y0kel said:

In reply to Mike K....

It is unclear if the Russian formations are moving in though everyone, NATO included, have been aware that they have been prepping to go in with the cover of this humanitarian mission.

The difficulty is that Russian military gear, including armour, has been moving across the border for weeks in separatist hands, just not official Russian formations.

Well Putin was in the Crimea yesterday, or was it today, and said the Crimea was being re-militarised. So it could be a large pincer movement on Russia's part.

The only thing lacking is the timing. When?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I know, sorry about that, I made some moves this evening, and finalised them as well.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    TOPPING said:

Europe looking pretty bad - how could anyone think that a union could prosper where there is not the ease and convenience of a common language, nor absolute freedom of movement, nor cohesion of culture, nor a broadly aligned economic cycle.

Are you listening, Scotlandshire?

I'm not sure about cohesion of culture. The USA fought a bloody civil war because two sides could not understand each other. California is different from Alabama which is different from Florida which is different from Illinois which is different from Maine.
    Not even sure about the economic cycle but you make a valid point.
    But the real issue surely is language.

The problem with the creation of the Euro was that the criteria for being part of it were fudged and badly fudged.
  • Options

I look forward to a YouGov outlier of a Tory 4% lead the night OGH goes on his hols....

I look forward to a Tory 4% lead, outlier or otherwise, ANY night!
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Y0kel said:

In reply to Mike K....

Well Putin was in the Crimea yesterday, or was it today, and said the Crimea was being re-militarised. So it could be a large pincer movement on Russia's part.

The only thing lacking is the timing. When?
    Anytime they want. Its pretty much all in place. There are deep and wide areas of the border that the Ukrainians have left open as theyve turned inward.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Pulpstar said:

I know, sorry about that, I made some moves this evening, and finalised them as well.
    I am sorry you missed your build too! Completely screwed up my plans.

Oh, also the name of the game is Diplomacy. It is called that for a reason. The clue is in the name, FFS!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Financier said:

TGOHF said:

AEP

2 comments from the article

"You only have to talk to French people to understand why that country is going down the tube fast. The bureaucracy is stifling you cannot even set up a small business without half a dozen permits and then you have to pay tax in advance. There public sector is so huge you cannot believe it. And the people just don't understand the concept of issues like reducing the cost of benefits and pensions. Businesses are shutting at a fast rate and no business is growing or taking on staff.
    No one is prepared to take or impose the pain that we went through in the 1980's and in the last 5 years."

"The party has gone on too long within western countries. The truth is, very few people are prepared to accept the harsh reality and that is, a significant reduction in our standard of living coupled with unstable working patterns.

Governments have simply promised their citizens far too much and the truth is, they cannot keep their promises.

The choice ahead is either, austerity or borrowing more, neither are palatable; however austerity unfortunately is the more sensible and realistic option.

Austerity will be very painful now, and will plunge us into a depression, however eventually it will pass, maybe 20 to 30 years.

Borrowing more, which seems to be the preferred option for western Governments, including the UK, will end up as a complete train wreck. Don't think the UK are applying austerity for one moment, they are simply trying to slow down the rate of debt increase, but this will be hard as the interest payments that have to be serviced becomes a higher percentage of the debt.

In short, we should have had honest politicians telling us as it is, instead of career politicians that are in it for the short term and just simply kick the can down the road. Ideally, we should be critical thinkers that are not hood winked by our politicians, but hey most of us would be happy to watch so called reality programmes on TV, and worship poor celebrity role models."
    Some harsh truths there. I do wonder when acknowledging some of those harsh truths will finally come. Obviously our politicians cannot face up to the systemic issues we as a nation face, as they would not get reelected for doing so, so just how long is the road we are kicking the can down? It's amazing how much you can string something along.
  • Options
    Has Sally Bercow given her two-pennith Re.Sir Cliff, BTW? ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Mike's next big holiday is straight after the Indyref vote.

My stint then covers aftermath of the Indyref, the Lab, Con and LD conferences, and a Lib Dem reshuffled
  • Options
    edited August 2014

I look forward to a Tory 4% lead, outlier or otherwise, ANY night!
    Getting myself ready for #CrossOverFriday with Populus!

This discussion has been closed.