Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another cross-over gets reversed – but could ICM, expected

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another cross-over gets reversed – but could ICM, expected tonight, have a consecutive CON lead?

This could be a highly unusual polling day for the two firms to be reporting both had the Tories in the lead last time out. A couple of hours ago Populus online moved from a 1% CON lead on Friday to a 4% one now.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First! I have achieved Crossover!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    UKIP will be up from 9% in the ICM - that's my most confident prediction...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Ashcroft comedy random number generator poll comes next or is that now cancelled for the remainder of summer .
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Yes, but will you sustain it on the next thread?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

Ashcroft comedy random number generator poll comes next or is that now cancelled for the remainder of summer .

Believe that the next one is September for Ashcroft.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

the next Ashcroft national poll is in September.

A week on Wednesday we have the next round of marginals polling including the one for Bedford where my wife, Jacky, was sampled.

• Options

Yes, but will you sustain it on the next thread?
    Probably not, but I can always try :)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    All the Tories have gone on holiday, surely?
  • Options
    RobD said:

No, from what I can see most of them are off volunteering to drop bombs on Arabs for no particular good reason.
  • Options

RobD said:

No, from what I can see most of them are off volunteering to drop bombs on Arabs for no particular good reason.
    No wonder Populus can't survey them!
  • Options
    I predict a Lab lead with ICM as Tories take one for the Union.

Tory lead once the indyref is concluded.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Quite right... :')

Edit: Sunil in 3...2...1....
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Allahu Cameron
  • Options

RobD said:

Depleted YouGov ordnance?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Allahu Cameron
    I think it was Scrapheap who said simply "golf is great..." on a previous thread. I was left wondering what the arabic translation of that was...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Excellent native PB Tory wit! [pinches TSE's cheek]

Just to remind all, there are 40+ seats for Labour in Scotland, only a handful possible for the Tories.
  • Options

RobD said:

Mike K won't want to be described as a Tory ^_~
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Mike K won't want to be described as a Tory ^_~
    Likud?
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Desperate times for tired squirrals. PB Hodges marched all the way back down the hill.
  • Options
    One for Morris Dancer, as the country becomes more like the Jeremy Kyle Show

Lie detector tests introduced to monitor released sex offenders

Tests compulsory on high-risk sex offenders let out on licence, as handful of officers trained to operate polygraph machines

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/08/lie-detector-polygraph-tests-introduced-monitor-sex-offenders
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Allahu Cameron
    I think it was Scrapheap who said simply "golf is great..." on a previous thread. I was left wondering what the arabic translation of that was...
    الغولف كبيرة

https://translate.google.co.uk/
  • Options

Desperate times for tired squirrals. PB Hodges marched all the way back down the hill.

Thought you'd be interested in answering this:

"And how are we going to define a cross-over?"

Given how much you bang on about it ;-)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited August 2014

RobD said:

Just to remind all, there are 40+ seats for Labour in Scotland, only a handful possible for the Tories.
    We're The Conservative and Unionist Party of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Winning without Scotland in the UK will be as much fun as having a threesome on your own.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thought you'd be interested in answering this:

"And how are we going to define a cross-over?"

Given how much you bang on about it ;-)
    I'll go and ask Basil, he's is the one doing most of the carrying, and report back.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Another Minister resigns. I balme Populus. ARF!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    edited August 2014

RobD said:

We're The Conservative and Unionist Party of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Winning without Scotland in the UK will be as much fun as having a threesome on your own.
    Dumbass Tories LOL!

The "Unionist" bit refers to the UNION with IRELAND, not SCOTLAND!

Today's Tory party came about in 1912 through merger of the Liberal Unionist and Conservative Parties over the question of Irish Home Rule. The LU's broke with the Liberals in 1886.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Unionist_Party
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Allahu Cameron
    God is Cameron?

Surely you mean Cameronu Mubarak!
  • Options
    Wonder if we see the old PB Hodge cry of Crossover, if we have a bit of Cameroonian reverse swingback on the ICM?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Allahu Cameron
    God is Cameron?

Surely you mean Cameronu Mubarak!
    Eton Mubarak, surely! :)
  • Options

RobD said:

Winning without Scotland in the UK will be as much as having a threesome on your own.
    Dumbass Tories LOL!

Today's Tory party came about in 1912 through merger of the Liberal Unionist and Conservative Parties over the question of Irish Home Rule. The LU's broke with the Liberals in 1886.

I was talking about the Great Britain part.

England, Scotland and Wales together is what makes us Great.
  • Options

RobD said:

Dumbass Tories LOL!

Yes, we lost one part of the Union, and we are bloody well not going to lose another :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Dumbass Tories LOL!

Yes, we lost one part of the Union, and we are bloody well not going to lose another :p
    We should take back the Republic of Ireland.

It's a solution that makes everyone a winner.

We have a united Ireland and Northern Ireland still remains in the Union.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Dumbass Tories LOL!

They are welcome to join us, however I fear such a proposal wouldn't go down well with the populace at large!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, the increasing use of the polygraph is depressing. It's about as scientifically valuable as astrology.

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-polygraph-work-of-science-fiction.html
  • Options
    If anyone thinks that Islamic extremism isn't a threat to normal people think again. My father just received some terrible news, his uncle has been shot dead in Nairobi by Islamists while driving home. He was in his own car and posed no threat to anyone. He was a good man and though I only met him a few times when he came here for weddings or when I went there on holiday, he will be missed. Such a waste of life.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, the increasing use of the polygraph is depressing. It's about as scientifically valuable as astrology.

http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-polygraph-work-of-science-fiction.html

Agreed, if it is not admissible in court, I can't see how they can use it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Dumbass Tories LOL!

They are welcome to join us, however I fear such a proposal wouldn't go down well with the populace at large!
    I'm very persuasive, one of my first acts as Directly Elected Dictator would be to unite Ireland.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If anyone thinks that Islamic extremism isn't a threat to normal people think again. My father just received some terrible news, his uncle has been shot dead in Nairobi by Islamists while driving home. He was in his own car and posed no threat to anyone. He was a good man and though I only met him a few times when he came here for weddings or when I went there on holiday, he will be missed. Such a waste of life.

Sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    Mr. D, the only use of a polygraph, aside from as a doorstop, is to frighten stupid people into confessing.

Paedophiles, as mentioned in my linked piece, are phenomenally good liars. The polygraph will do more harm than good, because those who are reoffending may well fool the magic box of truthiness, and get a scientific seal of approval.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I was taught how to fool a lie detector test.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, I'm sorry to hear that, and agree that the Caliphate isn't merely a threat to Iraq and Syria or even the wider region, but to the world [I'm not saying it could conquer the world, merely that it will help to create more terrorism].

Mr. Eagles, yeah, we learnt a few ways at university. It's an absolute crock of shit.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband's Agenda Branded 'Pathetic, Bland And Catastrophic' By Labour Grassroots

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/11/ed-miliband-labour-policy-grassroots-criticism_n_5667341.html?1407762702
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    MaxPB said:

Terriblel news indeed. My sympathies to you and your family.
  • Options
    Iraqi president asks a new man to form a government as PM. However, Maliki's forces have secured several key locations overnight:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28739975

Maliki seems to be willing to sacrifice his country to try and save his premiership. Does he think ISIS will let him stay PM?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Awful news.
  • Options

RobD said:

Winning without Scotland in the UK will be as much as having a threesome on your own.
    Dumbass Tories LOL!

"Great" is a geographical expression, to distinguish from Brittany.

Brittany is "Bretagne", while GB is "Grande Bretagne"
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    RobD said:

I think it could be quite useful in investigations e.g. when people are scared of someone they know did something. Not as evidence though as it only works consistently on people who are dumb or naturally honest.
  • Options

A week on Wednesday we have the next round of marginals polling including the one for Bedford where my wife, Jacky, was sampled.

I must admit that these marginal polls sound very thorough indeed.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Most shocking, sincere condolences to you and your family.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

RobD said:

I think it could be quite useful in investigations e.g. when people are scared of someone they know did something. Not as evidence though as it only works consistently on people who are dumb or naturally honest.
    Hence it’s use on the JK Show? (first possibility!)
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Dumbass Tories LOL!

I'm very persuasive, one of my first acts as Directly Elected Dictator would be to unite Ireland.
    Will you create a Grand Army of the Republic Commonwealth?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

RobD said:

Dumbass Tories LOL!

We're the rainy archipelago in the North Atlantic, that was Western Europe's only holdout against the Nazis, we're the lot who set up a benign Empire on which the sun never set on.

That's two of the many reasons why we're great.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

My sympathies.
  • Options

Iraqi president asks a new man to form a government as PM. However, Maliki's forces have secured several key locations overnight:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28739975

Maliki seems to be willing to sacrifice his country to try and save his premiership. Does he think ISIS will let him stay PM?

The US want Maliki out because he isn't anti-Iran enough. Everything happening in Iraq is about the Russia-Syria-Iran vs America-Saudi-Gulf (+Turks as wild card) regional conflict that was started by the implosion of Iraq using factions inside Iraq and Syria as proxies.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    MaxPB said:

Sorry to hear that. That's appalling.

• Options
    Thanks for the condolences, we've been advised not to travel for the funeral because of the terrorist threat so my grandfather is going to hold a memorial here. My mum just told me he was a doctor and decided to stay in Kenya after everyone left because he felt people there needed his services more than they would in the UK.

The Kenyan government needs to get a handle on Boko Haram. They are just randomly killing people with no set agenda.
  • Options

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.
    Jezza Kyle told me they were right !
  • Options

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.
    If you had someone stabbed with a lot of witnesses but none of them wanted to say who did it and you asked them individually on a lie detector if x or y did it then you would consistently get the right answer depending on the number asked.

I agree it shouldn't be evidence.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, is Kenya being attacked by both Boko Haram and Al-Shabab [Somalian Al-Qaeda affiliates]?

It seems almost all the news now is about extremist religious lunatics doing terrible things.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited August 2014

RobD said:

Dumbass Tories LOL!

To continue the geographical theme;

"India is a geographical term. It is no more a united nation than the Equator."
    WSC
  • Options

Mr. Max, is Kenya being attacked by both Boko Haram and Al-Shabab [Somalian Al-Qaeda affiliates]?

It seems almost all the news now is about extremist religious lunatics doing terrible things.

Both iirc. Al-Shabab are near the border with Somalia and Boko Haram operate within the country.
  • Options

MrJones said:

RobD said:

Hence it’s use on the JK Show? (first possibility!)
    Yeah. Consistency doesn't mean 100% - which is why it shouldn't be used as evidence. It includes margin of error.

• Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.
    If you had someone stabbed with a lot of witnesses but none of them wanted to say who did it and you asked them individually on a lie detector if x or y did it then you would consistently get the right answer depending on the number asked.

Not sure how you can consistently get a result which depends on something? Do you mean irrespective of the number asked?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.

You really shouldn't talk about topics you don't know about.

A quick google about False memory recall and manipulation thereof using language might educate you

But I'll make a prediction, you thought the Banksta did the stabbing.
  • Options
    Mr. Jones, the margin of error is bloody enormous. You might as well toss a coin.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Sorry to hear this news Max, condolences to your family.
    MaxPB said:

• Options

Mr. Jones, the margin of error is bloody enormous. You might as well toss a coin.

It's no different from polling - margin of error on one person is a lot higher than the margin of error on multiple.
  • Options
    Mr. Jones, the success rate is circa 50-65%. That's tossing a coin territory.

And it neglects the most important attribute of the polygraph: it doesn't bloody work.
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.

A quick google about False memory recall and manipulation thereof using language might educate you

If it can't be used as evidence there's no incentive to using manipulating language. You'd want the test as clean as possible.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    RobD said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.

Not sure how you can consistently get a result which depends on something? Do you mean irrespective of the number asked?
    Using probability. It specifically (edit: depends) on the number asked.

• Options
    MrJones said:

RobD said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.

I think you'll have to break it down further (just woke up so brain not fully engaged). You are saying you consistently get the right answer, therefore it shouldn't depend at all on how many people you ask?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    "Alex Salmond's failure to be honest with Scots about his Plan B on currency is costing him votes. It's clear that the momentum in this campaign is with those of us who believe the brightest future for Scotland is to remain part of the UK.

"Alex Salmond wants us to take a leap into the unknown with independence. He wants us to take a huge risk with the future of our country. Yet he can't tell us what money our wages, pensions and benefits would be paid in.

"He can't say what currency we would use to invest in our schools and hospitals. And he can't be clear about what money we would be paying our supermarket and energy bills in."
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/poll-shows-rise-no-vote-support-143830885.html#bQUPn3H
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    MaxPB said:

Condolences Max. Such a waste.

We are indeed fortunate where and when we live.
  • Options

Mr. Jones, the success rate is circa 50-65%. That's tossing a coin territory.

And it neglects the most important attribute of the polygraph: it doesn't bloody work.

1) The average witness is different from the average criminal
    2) Probability works on sample size
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.

If it can't be used as evidence there's no incentive to using manipulating language. You'd want the test as clean as possible.

Again, showing your lack of understanding.

The manipulation doesn't have to be deliberate, it can be accidental.

For example, people wrongly interchange the charge manslaughter with murder.

Or loose definitions of crimes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.

I think you'll have to break it down further (just woke up so brain not fully engaged). You are saying you consistently get the right answer, therefore it shouldn't depend at all on how many people you ask?
    The opposite. Probability consistently working depends on sample size.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    MaxPB said:

Both iirc. Al-Shabab are near the border with Somalia and Boko Haram operate within the country.
    I believe Boko Haram almost exclusively operate in Nigeria (though a few attacks in Cameroon have been attributed to them).
  • Options
    Mr. Jones, but the polygraph doesn't work. If its random whirrings spew out multiple wrong answers that would implicate an innocent man of crime, or seem to exonerate a guilty party.

It's like suggesting we use a Magic 8 Ball when interrogating suspects.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    MaxPB said:

Thanks for the condolences, we've been advised not to travel for the funeral because of the terrorist threat so my grandfather is going to hold a memorial here. My mum just told me he was a doctor and decided to stay in Kenya after everyone left because he felt people there needed his services more than they would in the UK.

The Kenyan government needs to get a handle on Boko Haram. They are just randomly killing people with no set agenda.

It must be getting worse for your family! Dreadful.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

RobD said:

RobD said:

Dumbass Tories LOL!

I'm writing from Dublin airport! I'll try to conduct a poll of locals for your idea

Photography in Gaelic is a v long word!
  • Options

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.

Fair enough however if it can't be used as evidence then the *incentive* is for it to be as clean as possible.

• Options
    JakeMJakeM Posts: 2
    "A quick google about False memory recall and manipulation thereof using language might educate you"

Does appearing on Countdown count as false memory recall?

Or someone saying they were bisexual only a few years ago and now say they are heterosexual?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    MaxPB said:

Condolences Max. He sounds like he was a good man, trying to do a good thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Here's one example of how rubbish and easy to get the wrong result on a lie detector, in a rape investigation, involving Mr X who is not guilty of anything in his life.

Interviewer: Mr X do you think, it is wrong, possibly rape, to sleep with a drunk woman

Mr X: Yes

Mr X, then remembers the time he was 22 and slept with a very drunk girl, his heart rate then elevates, then he remembers he was also very drunk at the time.

Interviewer notes the increase in the heart rate and the sweats.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

MaxPB said:

I believe Boko Haram almost exclusively operate in Nigeria (though a few attacks in Cameroon have been attributed to them).
    Must have been Al-Shabab in that case, we don't have much detail yet other than it was a drive by attack by terrorists.
  • Options

RobD said:

Dumbass Tories LOL!

To continue the geographical theme;

"India is a geographical term. It is no more a united nation than the Equator."
    WSC
    He must have missed that the Allies had among their ranks the INDIAN Army :)
  • Options

Mr. Jones, but the polygraph doesn't work. If its random whirrings spew out multiple wrong answers that would implicate an innocent man of crime, or seem to exonerate a guilty party.

It's like suggesting we use a Magic 8 Ball when interrogating suspects.

According to QI (IIRC) Aborigine witch doctors use a magic finger bone. Works fine.

Like I say, not well enough for evidence but I can see certain situations where it could be used in investigations.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.
    Jezza Kyle told me they were right !
    What about Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct? She was able to fool the lie detector!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Here's one example of how rubbish and easy to get the wrong result on a lie detector, in a rape investigation, involving Mr X who is not guilty of anything in his life.

Interviewer: Mr X do you think, it is wrong, possibly rape, to sleep with a drunk woman

Mr X, then remembers the time he was 22 and slept with a very drunk girl, his heart rate then elevates, then he remembers he was also very drunk at the time.

If you both sleep, what does it matter? What does it say in Macbeth about drink? Lechery, Sir, it preventeth!
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955

Wonder if we see the old PB Hodge cry of Crossover, if we have a bit of Cameroonian reverse swingback on the ICM?

Heh.

Wonder what'll happen if the Tories in opposition after the next election take a poll lead.

Will the PB Hodge poll analyst extraordinaires bang on endlessly for years about "Crossover" and "Swingback" (Always happens, inevitable, blah blah)?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    MaxPB said:

murali_s said:

MaxPB said:

Must have been Al-Shabab in that case, we don't have much detail yet other than it was a drive by attack by terrorists.
    Yes, most likely Al Shabab. - very sorry to hear this sad news...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited August 2014

Will it be

#CrossOverMonday ?

Or

#CrossBackMonday ?

Either way it's certainly #MegaPollingMonday

• Options

100% agree. You're thinking about suspects. I'm thinking about witnesses.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    MaxPB said:

murali_s said:

MaxPB said:

My condolences Max, how awful
  • Options
    King Cole, isn't it more that wine provoketh the desire and unprovoketh the performance?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.

Fair enough however if it can't be used as evidence then the *incentive* is for it to be as clean as possible.

How accurate is it when your job depends on it as is the case with a lot of American government jobs.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Hugh said:

Heh.

Wonder what'll happen if the Tories in opposition after the next election take a poll lead.

Will the PB Hodge poll analyst extraordinaires bang on endlessly for years about "Crossover" and "Swingback" (Always happens, inevitable, blah blah)?
    Hmm the Swingback theory did make Rod Crosby money in the 2010 General Election.

I think his "by-election swingback" model is showing a Labour seat win at the moment though...
  • Options
    saddened said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

RobD said:

No it does not.

How accurate is it when your job depends on it as is the case with a lot of American government jobs.
    I'm talking about specific situations like where there's been a stabbing or a shooting on a housing estate with lots of witnesses but no-one will say.
  • Options

King Cole, isn't it more that wine provoketh the desire and unprovoketh the performance?

Just looked it up, and you are right. Mind it’s 60 years since I had to study the Scottish Play. And, sadly, I’ve no opportunity nowadays to test the veracity of the statement!
This discussion has been closed.