Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lifting the Margin of Error Safety Blanket

124»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MikeJamesShaw: ASK ALEX: FM Alex Salmond solves your relationship problems...
    “Hubby won't make love to me any more!”
    #indyref http://t.co/gnH56C8OEO
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My sons next target is Hercules. Anyone had that inflicted on them yet ?

I inflicted it upon myself. It's full of very lengthy and uninteresting battle sequences. I was bored and my girlfriend slept through almost half of it - though she probably didn't miss anything vital.

My wife still goes on about The Two Towers in that respect and contracted out the third film refusing point blank to go. Even I would admit the battle scenes were somewhat over done.
    The Two Towers was exactly what popped into my head when I read 'lengthy and uninteresting battle sequences'

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,951
    LuckyGuy

"Y0kel's been posting here a lot longer than you and, to date, has been extremely accurate and well informed about the Middle East and, usually, ahead of the curve in his analysis.

He's got a heck of a lot more credibility than you have, sonny."

Don't let these Old Etonians patronize you. I found your post astute and interesting
  • Options

The fieldwork for the poll straddled the debate – just over half took place pre-debate.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8928

Bizarre choice of timing, - who on earth commissioned this poll?
    The Sun.
    I appreciate that TSE - I was referring to the bright spark who set the dates. - two polls before and after would be more expensive but would have made some sense. this poll reveals diddly squat and therefore is a waste of time, money and effort.
    Understood.

I'm assuming it was just a balls up at YouGov HQ and someone forgot to check the dates.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Don't forget chaps and chapesses.

Tomorrow should be mega polling Monday,

We definitely should see Populus, YouGov, Ashcroft and if we're lucky ICM.

I think I Ashcroft is finished until early September now isn't he?

Nevertheless, any Monday that includes ICM is indeed #MegaPollingMonday

Oh yeah.

Mea Culpa.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    edited August 2014
    Roger said:

LuckyGuy

"Y0kel's been posting here a lot longer than you and, to date, has been extremely accurate and well informed about the Middle East and, usually, ahead of the curve in his analysis.

Don't let these Old Etonians patronize you. I found your post astute and interesting

Roger, you've returned! You've been missed. :)

• Options
    Roger said:

LuckyGuy

(noting Roger's return) LuckGuy-

I thought your reminder of the "Fuck the EU" tape was definitely worthwhile.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

On a more serious note I have been really restrained and only mentioned once so far that my daughter did really well in her Highers getting straight As. After some work experience she is minded to take law at University but probably English law. She is minded to try Durham which she already had in mind for English. I would be grateful if anyone had any comments about Durham or possibly LSE as options for law.

As an ex-LSE alumni, I would recommend LSE which has a very good Law faculty. Mind you, I am not a Lawyer and I graduated in 1979.
    London, always London. Why the F go to some second division Uni in a fifth division city when you can go a first division uni in maybe the greatest city in the world? At an age when you are most likely to enjoy it?

The only downside is if your daughter might find London daunting, or overwhelming. Quite a few do.

But going to Uni in London is a brilliant start to a serious professional life as it gives you an immediate, wide, long lasting network of friends in the capital, which is much harder to achieve later in life.

I am very very very glad I went to UCL. One of the best decisions I ever made.
    Ehh ... Didn't you go ever so slightly off the rails Sean? My eldest spent time in London and also had problems. Durham does look somewhat safer.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    DavidL said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

On a more serious note I have been really restrained and only mentioned once so far that my daughter did really well in her Highers getting straight As. After some work experience she is minded to take law at University but probably English law. She is minded to try Durham which she already had in mind for English. I would be grateful if anyone had any comments about Durham or possibly LSE as options for law.

As an ex-LSE alumni, I would recommend LSE which has a very good Law faculty. Mind you, I am not a Lawyer and I graduated in 1979.
    London, always London. Why the F go to some second division Uni in a fifth division city when you can go a first division uni in maybe the greatest city in the world? At an age when you are most likely to enjoy it?

The only downside is if your daughter might find London daunting, or overwhelming. Quite a few do.

But going to Uni in London is a brilliant start to a serious professional life as it gives you an immediate, wide, long lasting network of friends in the capital, which is much harder to achieve later in life.

Ehh ... Didn't you go ever so slightly off the rails Sean? My eldest spent time in London and also had problems. Durham does look somewhat safer.
    He's got two 8yo daughters who don't watch cbeebies - who much more on the rails can you get??

• Options
    (That was supposed to be 'how much more' btw) I've very sorry if you find that bad form SeanT - I promise I'll never mention anything like that again.

(I got round to reading your Times Travel today)

Ooooh

I am sorry.

Journo please don't hate me.

I'm really not taking the piss.
  • Options
    Err, Mods - Can you please delete my last two posts.

The facts were from memory and probably bad form.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

I was DETERMINED to go off the rails by the time I was 17. Living in London at 18 onwards made no difference to that (apart from giving my nihilistic hedonism a more glamorous backdrop).

Naturally as a father you want yr daughter nearer. But London is, undeniably, a great start in life if you can hack it. Like going to the Eton of the human comedy. You make such amazing connections.
    Thanks Sean. LSE will be a challenge to get into but tend to agree with you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,039
    Level Populus, Con +1 ICM, Lab +3 Ashcroft, Lab +3 Yougov I reckon.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,249
    Another good night for No, heading towards a 60-40 vote which should settle the matter for a generation. Sunil, as I have posted before Scotland makes little difference to Tory chances, Labour still lead in London and the Midlands which the Tories would need to win even without Scotland. It is UKIP voters who will settle the election, not Scotland
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    JBriskin said:

Roger said:

LuckyGuy

(noting Roger's return) LuckGuy-

I thought your reminder of the "Fuck the EU" tape was definitely worthwhile.

Thanks, and thanks @Roger too. It's all good -I tend to be a bit of a humourless arse when I have a bee in my bonnet, so I don't blame people for getting the hump!

• Options
    Golf is great....
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I hate jet lag and as I get older it gets more difficult!
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Yesterday I posted that Iraq looked set to get a new PM (Tariq Najim was apparently the front runner) and then it was down to getting Maliki to step down.

Nouri however didnt seem to be listening and went as far as slapping down Iraqi Shia spiritual leader Ayatollah Sistani today. He has then turned up with a public statement saying he will not stand down.

Things are hotting up in the hours of darkness and by the looks if it Maliki has sent his loyalists out on the streets with Baghdad looking rather tense indeed. If they are going to get rid of him (the US has been marshalling its friends in Baghdad) , then Maliki is certainly making it look like he's going to stand and fight...or at least his loyalists are
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    GIN1138 said:

Don't forget chaps and chapesses.

Tomorrow should be mega polling Monday,

We definitely should see Populus, YouGov, Ashcroft and if we're lucky ICM.

I think I Ashcroft is finished until early September now isn't he?

Nevertheless, any Monday that includes ICM is indeed #MegaPollingMonday

Ashcroft mentioned recently that he was as rumoured publishing a not-quite-so-winnable Tory seat poll soon - on the 20th I think he said.
    DavidL said:

That's great, David - congratulations! I have no relevant knowledge of Durham (knew someone who went there decades ago - said it was solid if a bit traditional then) but would vote for LSE, for multicultural stimulus and great job prospects - it's one of the few British unis that everyone has heard of round the world apart from Oxcam. London has its temptations but really if one wants trouble one can find it anywhere, and from what we know of you it sounds unlikely that you've brought up a SeanT-like child. Obviously it's a lot more expensive to live in London but will pay off in the end.

My friend from Durham (Pakistani-born) met his Scottish-born wife there, and they thought they'd get married in the "interfaith" chapel, as he was Muslim and she was Presbytarian. The chaplain looked bemused - "by interfaith we mean different Christian faiths, like Protestant and Catholic". I expect that's changed too...

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    And it looks like the Iraqi President has been ordered seized by Maliki.

Top democrat this guy, really good bloke.
This discussion has been closed.