Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling that suggests that Boris could play a part in w

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling that suggests that Boris could play a part in winning back CON voters from UKIP

I’ve been booked to take part in a discussion tonight on Boris polling on Radio 4′s “The Westminster Hours” which starts at 10pm.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Difficult for me to think what a UKIP voter wants because I really don't "get" them.

But I would hazard that it is Boris's reputation/profile as someone who is "refreshing" and "willing to say what he thinks regardless of the consequences" that makes them think he is somehow "different" to the "machine politicians" who "infest Westminster".

I guess they haven't figured out that he is very smart and manipulative when it comes to his public image.

Boris has, and will, make a huge contribution to politics in this country. I just shudder at the thought of him becoming PM: it's frustrating, because he is smart enough and hard-working enough (ignore the image) but I think he's too willing to take the cheap shot and make the smart arse retort - and we just can't afford that in a PM. Chairman of the party, senior Cabinet position (preferably one without complex managerial responsibility) - hell, yes.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @Charles. I agree with every word.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,000
    It is a sign of how poor the Tories are that their saviour is a buffoon. How dire will it be to be beaten by Ed is crap.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    FINAL Scottish Referendum McARSE Projection Countdown :

50 hours
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning this Sunday.

The Tories are out to get ............ the conservatives. ;)
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/08/09/Tory-Party-Knives-Out-for-Grassroots-Activists/
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Voting is under way across Turkey for the country's first ever presidential election put to a popular vote.

Three candidates are vying for the position, including current Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

If none of the candidates gets above 50% of the vote, a second round will be held on 24 August.

Mr Erdogan, 60, says that if he wins he wants to turn the largely ceremonial post of president into the country's executive powerhouse.

He has been prime minister since 2003 and is barred from standing for that office again.

Polls opened at 08:00 local time (05:00 GMT) and close at 17:00.

The BBC's Mark Lowen in Ankara says Mr Erdogan is a divisive figure adored by his supporters for transforming the economy but hated by critics for an abrasive style and Islamist leanings.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/baroness-warsi-exclusive-interview-i-want-to-be-able-to-live-with-myself-after-politics-9659443.html

Think Warsi makes some valid points. The Tories in their shift to the right have made it more difficult for non white voters to support them. There was a huge protest march in London yesterday about Gaza.

This may be one reason why Boris attracts some voters that Cameron would not. He is willing to speak out when he thinks something is wrong. But this may only be when he is not in government and I have a feeling that as soon as he gets anywhere near the cabinet, he will become less outspoken.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/baroness-warsi-exclusive-interview-i-want-to-be-able-to-live-with-myself-after-politics-9659443.html

Think Warsi makes some valid points. The Tories in their shift to the right have made it more difficult for non white voters to support them. There was a huge protest march in London yesterday about Gaza.

Rather worrying, I found I agreed with @hopisen again! He really should come over to the dark side ;-)

Today, Stop the War have organised a great demonstration calling for an end to the attack on Gaza.

This is not merely a call for peace; for the end of bloodshed. It cannot be. After all, the cautious truce agreed last week ended not with an attack on Gaza, but an attack on Israel.

Instead, the demonstration is something more than just a call to an end to violence. It is a call for a particular solution.

Fair enough. The roots of this conflict are difficult, and complex, the flaws on all sides apparent. Yet the stated aims of the demonstration would not produce the desired peace.

If Hamas remains committed to the destruction of the entire Israeli state, then to propose an unconditional end to restrictions on Gaza, when Hamas rule Gaza and use imported concrete to build tunnels to attack Israel, imported metal to build rockets to bomb Israel, and at the same time demand a boycott of Israel; then you effectively demand, not unconditional peace, but a tilt in the battle to Hamas. To Hamas, note, not to the Palestinian Legislature, or Fatah, or the people of Gaza, all of whom want an immediate ceasefire, then talks and negotiations and a permanent peace with Israel, but to Hamas, who want no such thing.

http://hopisen.com/2014/not-in-my-name/
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    MikeK said:

Good morning this Sunday.

The Tories are out to get ............ the conservatives. ;)
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/08/09/Tory-Party-Knives-Out-for-Grassroots-Activists/

The Conservative party is not really that democratic. I don't think they even pretend to have votes at party conference. They elect a leader and the party tries to go along with whatever direction they decide. This may be why some of the grassroot Conservatives have set up their own organisation.
  • Options
    The lies and smears of the Mail on Sunday:

RT originally tweeted by @Tom_Fowdy who was at UKIPs youth event-don't believe media smears they're getting desperate pic.twitter.com/kxAk6qE6Xs

— David Jones (@DavidJo52951945) August 10, 2014
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    As Pearson says in his letter, there are 777 active peers, of whom 10 are prepared to say publicly that the UK should leave the EU immediately.

That's about 1.5% (and presumably there are more supporters who won't announce that publicly for whatever reason). This compares to a little more than 3% at the 2010 election.

So, yes, UKIP is probably slightly under-represented. But it's not the burning injustice that you try and make it out to be.
  • Options
    Charles said:

hucks67 said:

Rather worrying, I found I agreed with @hopisen again! He really should come over to the dark side ;-)

Today, Stop the War have organised a great demonstration calling for an end to the attack on Gaza.

This is not merely a call for peace; for the end of bloodshed. It cannot be. After all, the cautious truce agreed last week ended not with an attack on Gaza, but an attack on Israel.

Instead, the demonstration is something more than just a call to an end to violence. It is a call for a particular solution.

Fair enough. The roots of this conflict are difficult, and complex, the flaws on all sides apparent. Yet the stated aims of the demonstration would not produce the desired peace.

If Hamas remains committed to the destruction of the entire Israeli state, then to propose an unconditional end to restrictions on Gaza, when Hamas rule Gaza and use imported concrete to build tunnels to attack Israel, imported metal to build rockets to bomb Israel, and at the same time demand a boycott of Israel; then you effectively demand, not unconditional peace, but a tilt in the battle to Hamas. To Hamas, note, not to the Palestinian Legislature, or Fatah, or the people of Gaza, all of whom want an immediate ceasefire, then talks and negotiations and a permanent peace with Israel, but to Hamas, who want no such thing.

@hopisen and some others on the left, and for that matter the right, are now beginning to see that these demos for Gaza are a call for the immobilisation and destruction of Israel. They have nothing to do with peace and everything to do with hatred of Jews as Jews and Israelis.

Of course no demos against ISIS etc,.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

No peers for UKIP.

No MP's for UKIP

An unfortunate parliamentary double for UKIP come May 2015 ?!?

Will Thanet South save Farage's bacon and will he take up that sandwich challenge ?!?

Is MikeK a member of the Lizard Peoples Peasant Front allied to David Icke ?!?

Questions for the coming week on PB and likely to be discussed by Mike Smithson on Radio 4 "The Westminster Hour" at 10:00pm tonight.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Charles said:

hucks67 said:

@hopisen and some others on the left, and for that matter the right, are now beginning to see that these demos for Gaza are a call for the immobilisation and destruction of Israel. They have nothing to do with peace and everything to do with hatred of Jews as Jews and Israelis.

Perhaps on the part of the organisers - most of those who march, though, are merely expressing their sympathy for the plight of the normal Gazans who are as much victims as the Israeli civilians running for shelters.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MikeK said:
    As Pearson says in his letter, there are 777 active peers, of whom 10 are prepared to say publicly that the UK should leave the EU immediately.

That's about 1.5% (and presumably there are more supporters who won't announce that publicly for whatever reason). This compares to a little more than 3% at the 2010 election.

So, yes, UKIP is probably slightly under-represented. But it's not the burning injustice that you try and make it out to be.
    It's just one more broken promise by Cammo. You'd think he'd learn to keep a couple, just for cosmetic reasons.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    If Boris is 'unsuitable' material for PM what about the lack of endorsement for Ed M?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/09/labour-fears-brain-drain-mps-quit

Briefing to the Guardian about doubts, exodus of MPs from party...if Cameron can't win why the panic?
  • Options
    Charles said:

MikeK said:

Peers are not segregated by a single position they may take up but by party, crossbencher or bishop.

It's churlish of the PM to deny UKIP some working peers and frankly beneath the dignity of the office of Prime Minister that he has allowed this situation to stand.

Patronage is a privilege a Prime Minister should use wisely.

• Options
    MikeK said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

It's just one more broken promise by Cammo. You'd think he'd learn to keep a couple, just for cosmetic reasons.
    The promise was to make the HoL "more reflective" of the popular vote. Basically adding more LibDems than they got previously plus a token Green.

Doesn't mean flooding the House with new members and diluting its historical virtues.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,000
    Charles said:

MikeK said:

777 troughers too many, what a country.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    FPT:
    Yes, though it also makes 9% (or 8%, depending on rounding) of Tories move away to other parties. As the Tory figure is larger than the UKIP figure, the net effect is +2, which is negligible for a prompted question. Generally if you ask the same question again with a specific prompt it tests whether that prompt is influential, and overstates the actual effect.

Of course, it's possible that if Boris won the leadership in a contested, highly-publicised contest, the effect would be different, but the starting point is that it doesn't do much for Tory VI.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Peers are not segregated by a single position they may take up but by party, crossbencher or bishop.

It's churlish of the PM to deny UKIP some working peers and frankly beneath the dignity of the office of Prime Minister that he has allowed this situation to stand.

I don't actually disagree with you - they have Pearson & a couple of others, but I think Cameron should nominate 1 or 2 (provided there are suitable candidates), if only to draw the sting of the "excluded" charge.

But I would strongly resist the idea that they have a "right" to representation as a result of votes in the 2010 election. The House of Lords is not an elected House and has a different role to the House of Commons.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

I don't actually disagree with you - they have Pearson & a couple of others, but I think Cameron should nominate 1 or 2 (provided there are suitable candidates), if only to draw the sting of the "excluded" charge.
    Which begs the question why has the PM excluded a few UKIP peers ?

BTW Cameron should do it because it's the correct thing to do.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    OT: I think too much is being read into Boris and UKIP. Yes, Boris would be preferable to Dave. But then, Boris won't be leader if the Tories are still in power after the election. So in terms of 2015, Boris standing for election probably doesn't change much.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Because I don't think he actually understands the way things should work.

He grew up, politically, under Blair and has fully imbibed a casual disregard for the British Constitution.

Elective Dictatorship was a theoretical risk when Hailsham developed the concept; Blair made it real & Cameron is continuing down that path
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

But Cameron is not a LARGE person of character. He has always had this SMALL MEAN streak in his nature, now made worse with the real threat of his losing his position as PM at the GE.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

If Boris is 'unsuitable' material for PM what about the lack of endorsement for Ed M?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/09/labour-fears-brain-drain-mps-quit

Briefing to the Guardian about doubts, exodus of MPs from party...if Cameron can't win why the panic?

Because, as the article says, some Labour MPs don't want to be going through the "yes" lobby during a Miliband government.

To me the mood music says: Cammo is just about up to the job of PM but nobody else, of any colour, really is. Whether Cammo could hold his Party together if he had a Tory majority is another open question.

Why is all this? Because our political parties - and indeed our political system - is based on class cleavage (some would trace that back to Charles I and Cromwell). That no longer accords with the reality, which is that race cleavage is at least as powerful. (For example, does anyone here seriously expect Mike K to say that Arabs have rights?) And it will get more so.

If Miliband wins the next election, I give him two years before his party collapses on the ground, with the white working class defecting pretty much en bloc to UKIP and the brown/black petit bourgeoisie to the Lib Dems under a new leader who sets out to woo them.
    Social democracy is finished, and with it Labour's raison d'etre.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

It may have been difficult to identify candidates suitable for elevation. Did UKIP actually propose any?

Neil Hamilton? Christine Hamilton? Godfrey Bloom? Or perhaps a few of the kippers expelled by Faragist manipulations: Natrass? Sinclair? Andreasen?

Personally, I think that the Lords should be reduced in size by about 50%. Start by removing those who have not attended for a year or longer, then work through other criteria. Let them keep their titles and baubles, but take away their passes.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

But I would strongly resist the idea that they have a "right" to representation as a result of votes in the 2010 election. The House of Lords is not an elected House and has a different role to the House of Commons.
    On that basis no party has a "right" to representation in the Lords but of course we know that pragmatically a government wants to pass its business and thus the peer inflation since 1997.

Accordingly UKIP have as much "right" to peers as any other party with significant support.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    MikeK said:

Charles said:

hucks67 said:

What would be the rallying cry of a demo against ISIS? Find and destroy them as they re destroying others?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    UKIP should put in their manifesto that they plan to abolish the House of Lords. If we do have to have a second house there should be a one out one in policy.
  • Options

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

It may have been difficult to identify candidates suitable for elevation. Did UKIP actually propose any?

Neil Hamilton? Christine Hamilton? Godfrey Bloom? Or perhaps a few of the kippers expelled by Faragist manipulations: Natrass? Sinclair? Andreasen?

Personally, I think that the Lords should be reduced in size by about 50%. Start by removing those who have not attended for a year or longer, then work through other criteria. Let them keep their titles and baubles, but take away their passes.
    Perhaps they should just build a bigger chamber and be done with it. Simpler yet, move them lock stock and barrel to the Albert Hall. Plenty of room there.

• Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

But Cameron is not a LARGE person of character. He has always had this SMALL MEAN streak in his nature, now made worse with the real threat of his losing his position as PM at the GE.
    We'll not change each others mind about Cameron, who I find to be an excellent Prime Minister of a Coalition government in very difficult circumstances.

However Prime Ministers make mistakes and denying UKIP working peers is one.

• Options

MikeK said:

Charles said:

hucks67 said:

What would be the rallying cry of a demo against ISIS? Find and destroy them as they re destroying others?
    It would inevitably have to be a demonstration against Islamism, Sharia and forced orthodoxy.

I believe that the EDL run such events. I saw one in Leicester a couple of years back (as a spectator). Not pretty.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited August 2014

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Perhaps they should just build a bigger chamber and be done with it. Simpler yet, move them lock stock and barrel to the Albert Hall. Plenty of room there.

Attend over the internet if the room's full, it's not rocket science.

Speaking of which, being populist, traditionalist and under-represented in the Lords, UKIP should be advocating my "ennoble everybody" plan. It maintains tradition while tilting the balance away from the middle-class ruling elite and producing a second chamber perfectly representative of the electorate as a whole.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

On that basis no party has a "right" to representation in the Lords but of course we know that pragmatically a government wants to pass its business and thus the peer inflation since 1997.

Accordingly UKIP have as much "right" to peers as any other party with significant support.

I'd prefer a situation where the majority, or a sizeable minority of peers were crossbenchers, drawn from industry, science, and the arts. Cameron made a mistake linking the composition of the Lords to the results of previous elections, as Charles said, the Lords and Commons serve two different functions.
  • Options
    JackW said:

MikeK said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

We'll not change each others mind about Cameron, who I find to be an excellent Prime Minister of a Coalition government in very difficult circumstances.

It is worth noting in the table above that while Boris leads Dave with the kippers, he trails Dave by a large margin in the other groups, particularly the Cons. Boris would lose as many as he gains, particularly when the novelty wears off.
  • Options

JackW said:

MikeK said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

It is worth noting in the table above that while Boris leads Dave with the kippers, he trails Dave by a large margin in the other groups, particularly the Cons. Boris would lose as many as he gains, particularly when the novelty wears off.
    And we are looking at sub-samples. OGH needed a story - on another day he might well have been arguing that the (sub-)sample sizes were too small to be trustworthy.

• Options

JackW said:

MikeK said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

And we are looking at sub-samples. OGH needed a story - on another day he might well have been arguing that the (sub-)sample sizes were too small to be trustworthy.

I think that OGH is preparing for tonight; no one wants him to be a skewered Salmond through lack of thinking through the issues.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited August 2014

dr_spyn said:

Because, as the article says, some Labour MPs don't want to be going through the "yes" lobby during a Miliband government.

To me the mood music says: Cammo is just about up to the job of PM but nobody else, of any colour, really is. Whether Cammo could hold his Party together if he had a Tory majority is another open question.

Why is all this? Because our political parties - and indeed our political system - is based on class cleavage (some would trace that back to Charles I and Cromwell). That no longer accords with the reality, which is that race cleavage is at least as powerful. (For example, does anyone here seriously expect Mike K to say that Arabs have rights?) And it will get more so.

If Miliband wins the next election, I give him two years before his party collapses on the ground, with the white working class defecting pretty much en bloc to UKIP and the brown/black petit bourgeoisie to the Lib Dems under a new leader who sets out to woo them.
    Social democracy is finished, and with it Labour's raison d'etre.

I doubt either party would have a majority of more than 20 maybe a lot less. Dave couldn't forge a coalition(at least I don't think his party would wear it if he had any kind of majority) and as for ED, who knows... the last lib lab pact led to 18 yrs out of office.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good morning, everyone.

FPT: cheers to Mr. Y0kel for his interesting posts on Iraq.

I'm not convinced. Isn't Boris strongest in the south, where the Conservatives do better anyway? He'll probably have a London bonus, but that may be offset by a northern deficit.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

It's peer inflation that concerns me most.

Perhaps the way to deal with it is to make "working peerages" time limited? There's a risk that introduces a mechanism of party control, but equally working peers are pretty much creatures of their parties anyway
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Todays YG LAB 347 CON 259 LD 18 Other 26 (ukpr)

EICIPM Less than 9 months to go
  • Options
    Charles said:

What's bad about peer inflation, specifically?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Morning all,

Don't get why Boris appeals so much to UKIP apparently - he's in favour of an immigration amnesty !

I don't rate him at all and think Dave, Ed, Nick or Nigel would all be better PMs.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

I don't know why you post this crap. Polls now versus poll at GE, no relation. If you insist on doing so, use ICM. The gold standard.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Don't get why Boris appeals so much to UKIP apparently - he's in favour of an immigration amnesty !

He doesn't appeal to UKIP, he appeals to UKIP supporters, many of whom are generally narked off rather than supporting UKIP's specific policy mix.

That said, most of them probably don't know that he's in favour of an immigration amnesty. Presumably they'd find out if the Tories made him their leader.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

How close to the actual result do believe that prediction will be?
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    Those Boris numbers are considerably better than Milliband. Good figures imo considering only Londoners have experience of him in an executive role.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

Perhaps the way to deal with it is to make "working peerages" time limited? There's a risk that introduces a mechanism of party control, but equally working peers are pretty much creatures of their parties anyway
    My solution for the HoL reform :

1. Remove all remaining hereditary peers except the ceremonial posts and Royal peers (speaking but non voting).

2. 300 voting life peers (50 crossbenchers). Remaining 250 based on the last GE vote share above 4% regionally.

3. Non voting life peers to have speaking rights.

4. Bishops automatic right to sit removed.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    An awful lot of guff being written about a chap, who is not an MP and may not be in 2015.

Meanwhile.

The Mail reports on Vince Cable’s anger at a ‘whispering’ campaign within the LDs that he is considering leaving the Cabinet immediately after the party’s autumn conference.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2720943/Cables-fury-Nick-Clegg-allies-spread-Vince-set-quit-rumours-whispering-campaign.html
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Those Boris numbers are considerably better than Milliband. Good figures imo considering only Londoners have experience of him in an executive role.

As a Londoner, may I say that I can't think of one thing that Boris has done, as Mayor, which strikes me as specifically Conservative. No doubt Peebies will help me out...

• Options
    Mr. W, removal of the bishops right to sit is unacceptable. Thin end of the disestablishment wedge.

Mr. StClare, the whisperers should be careful lest Cable whip out his nuclear missile.
  • Options

Mr. W, removal of the bishops right to sit is unacceptable. Thin end of the disestablishment wedge.

Exactly.

• Options
    Mr. W, you tugger at the loose threads of civilisation's fraying tapestry!
  • Options
    It is interesting that the Left-wing gob-shyte/Muzzie/Dhimmie campaign is focusing on UK arm sales to Israel. Obviously they missed all those UORs Labour issued to Rafael, Elbit and others.

FV432 Bulldog upgrades are now being migrated to Warrior and RCWS are proliferating in armoured units. And do not forget the Hermes/Watchkeeper purchase signed of by one Phil Woolas. The left: In a constant state of ignorance....
  • Options
    saddened said:

Dont know I think ED will get most seats and have lots of money on that. I do not have a penny on a Lab overall majority. I think its about a 50% tp 60% chance if i had to forecast. You will see my weekly BJESUS has always shown Ed with a tiny majority.

As regards the UKPR forecast based on last nights YG I do not believe the LDs will do that badly and CON swingback will give them maybe 20 extra seats.

Of course ARSE says Ed has a 0% chance of being PM. Whereas I wouldn't put the chances of an outright Tory victory at more than 10%

Its all about opinions

Interesting just under 9 months ahead.
  • Options

saddened said:

Dont know I think ED will get most seats and have lots of money on that. I do not have a penny on a Lab overall majority. I think its about a 50% tp 60% chance if i had to forecast. You will see my weekly BJESUS has always shown Ed with a tiny majority.

As regards the UKPR forecast based on last nights YG I do not believe the LDs will do that badly and CON swingback will give them maybe 20 extra seats.

Of course ARSE says Ed has a 0% chance of being PM. Whereas I wouldn't put the chances of an outright Tory victory at no more than 10%

Its all about opinions

Interesting just under 9 months ahead.
    Edited
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    What Peter Kellner said back in March after the last Boris-against-the-others poll was released remains completely accurate today:
    http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/03/31/end-boris-bounce/

Useful bits:
    "Even though he is not even an MP, he is widely talked of as the next Conservative leader. The assumption – by friends and enemies alike – is that he is a huge electoral asset to his party. He would revive its fortunes if it loses power next year. After all, hasn’t he twice won London, a Labour city, by appealing to large numbers of Labour and Lib Dem voters?

Fresh YouGov research for Prospect throws doubt in this. True, he would win back some Tory voters who have defected to UKIP – but he repels some Conservatives who doubt that he has what it takes to be Prime Minister.

While one in five UKIP voters say they would return to the Tory fold were Boris to replace Cameron, one in ten Tory supporters would desert the party. Taking into account all the movements – including the one in ten Lib Dems who would shift across to the Conservatives if Boris took over – then a little over two million voters would change their votes; but these make up two groups who broadly cancel each other out: around one million who would leave the Tories, and another million or so who would join, or rejoin, the Tory ranks."

He also mentions the positives (perceived honesty and charisma) and negatives (Not serious enough to be trusted with big national decisions), and that he trails Cameron on decisiveness, "good in a crisis" and "natural leader"

Personally, I'd say that it's all but impossible to split out any real "Boris benefits" from the two other elements that would be mixed in with this poll: name recognition and perceived not-Establishment (which, to be fair, is one hell of a trick for an Old Etonian who's been elected to major political office).
  • Options

It is interesting that the Left-wing gob-shyte/Muzzie/Dhimmie campaign is focusing on UK arm sales to Israel. Obviously they missed all those UORs Labour issued to Rafael, Elbit and others.

FV432 Bulldog upgrades are now being migrated to Warrior and RCWS are proliferating in armoured units. And do not forget the Hermes/Watchkeeper purchase signed of by one Phil Woolas. The left: In a constant state of ignorance....

Left wing gob-shyte Warsi?
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, you might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

I would hope Warsi might act as a warning of what happens when you promote people based on demographic characteristics rather than competence, but I doubt it. The bullshit of identity politics appears to be with us to stay.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Lord Ashcroft – “The dogfight images that are too good to be true”

Fascinating article by his Lordship on how iconic WWI photos of air battles were faked.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-one/11023811/The-dogfight-images-that-are-too-good-to-be-true.html
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited August 2014

Left wing gob-shyte Warsi?

There is a saying that "Great minds think alike". You are proof of another great saying; namely "Correlation does not equal causation".

:carry-on-gabble-like:
  • Options

perceived not-Establishment (which, to be fair, is one hell of a trick for an Old Etonian who's been elected to major political office).

This is the key point. He's audacious and good at politics.
  • Options

Mr. Owls, you might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

I would hope Warsi might act as a warning of what happens when you promote people based on demographic characteristics rather than competence, but I doubt it. The bullshit of identity politics appears to be with us to stay.

Presume you mean there are not enough Yorkshire Lasses in the Tory party
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    JackW said:

1. Remove all remaining hereditary peers except the ceremonial posts and Royal peers (speaking but non voting).

2. 300 voting life peers (50 crossbenchers). Remaining 250 based on the last GE vote share above 4% regionally.

This is yet another example of a proposed change to the HoL which utterly ignores their role.

As they are there to revise legislation, it should be filled with experts in as many areas as possible. People who have sufficient knowledge in their areas to actually understand and amend legislation that has come from the political hacks in the commons, and to debate the state and future of the country without party-political prejudice. At the moment the HoL is being filled with ex- and failed- politicians, many of whom appear just to be cyphers for their party leadership. Some are evidently clueless idiots, whilst many of the best are the long-term crossbenchers

Pick a total number of peers (300? 400?) Divide it into broad areas (e.g. sciences, law, religion, charities, politics, manufacturing, unions) and allocate numbers according to sector. Then get organisations within those sectors to propose people for elevation from within their ranks. For instance the Royal Society of Chemistry may propose three people, the Institute of Civil Engineers the same. Unite might get a couple of peers, and all branches of the medical profession thirty.

Any allocated from religions should be from all religions, in proportion (as far as possible) to that religion's following in the UK. All ex-PMs get in automatically, if they choose.

People serve for life, or until they choose to stand down. Any criminal record (above and beyond driving bans) should lead to a vote amongst peers for either suspension or expulsion from their ranks. They have to attend for at least twenty days every year, and speak on each occasion. It would be an expenses-only role.

Aside from the number of (ex) politicians in the 'politics' category, no-one can be put forward if they have stood for election at any position above local councils, or if they have worked for an MP, lobbying firm, or otherwise on the outskirts of politics in the last ten years.

The HoL needs experts, and should not be a mirror of the commons.
  • Options
    It's the news literally some of you have been waiting for: my mid-season review (complete with an exciting graph) is now up:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/the-2014-mid-season-review.html
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2014
    You have to laugh at where Cameron and Miliband sit with regard to Gaza and Iraq. They both want to court the muslim vote, but they also want to keep people from going over to UKIP.

Best of luck with that.

• Options

JackW said:

This is yet another example of a proposed change to the HoL which utterly ignores their role.

As they are there to revise legislation, it should be filled with experts in as many areas as possible. People who have sufficient knowledge in their areas to actually understand and amend legislation that has come from the political hacks in the commons, and to debate the state and future of the country without party-political prejudice. At the moment the HoL is being filled with ex- and failed- politicians, many of whom appear just to be cyphers for their party leadership. Some are evidently clueless idiots, whilst many of the best are the long-term crossbenchers

Pick a total number of peers (300? 400?) Divide it into broad areas (e.g. sciences, law, religion, charities, politics, manufacturing, unions) and allocate numbers according to sector. Then get organisations within those sectors to propose people for elevation from within their ranks. For instance the Royal Society of Chemistry may propose three people, the Institute of Civil Engineers the same. Unite might get a couple of peers, and all branches of the medical profession thirty.

Any allocated from religions should be from all religions, in proportion (as far as possible) to that religion's following in the UK. All ex-PMs get in automatically, if they choose.

People serve for life, or until they choose to stand down. Any criminal record (above and beyond driving bans) should lead to a vote amongst peers for either suspension or expulsion from their ranks. They have to attend for at least twenty days every year, and speak on each occasion. It would be an expenses-only role.

Aside from the number of (ex) politicians in the 'politics' category, no-one can be put forward if they have stood for election at any position above local councils, or if they have worked for an MP, lobbying firm, or otherwise on the outskirts of politics in the last ten years.

Two problems: first, who is to decide how many each group gets, and second, what if they just "happen" to carry a Party card of some colour or other?

And a Peebie Comp for to-day: which inter-war national leader came up with this idea (or one within sniffing distance of it, anyway)?

• Options

JackW said:

JJ - baisically agree. The HoL also needs people who are used to running/managing businesses etc - that is what a lot of the hereditaries were good at. Would you also have a lower age limit - say 35 - so that people have some experience of life?
  • Options
    I agree with Warsi on both GAZA,Israeli weapon supply and her prediction regarding GE 2015.

The fact she claims to be the lone voice arguing for a ban on arms sales to Israel in a room full of Tories and LDs speaks volumes.

Not least about the hypocrisy of the DPM.

What she was doing in that room or in the Tory party in the first place is a mystery, but heh sinners repent and all that.

• Options

Two problems: first, who is to decide how many each group gets, and second, what if they just "happen" to carry a Party card of some colour or other?

And a Peebie Comp for to-day: which inter-war national leader came up with this idea (or one within sniffing distance of it, anyway)?

1) These numbers can be chosen in all sorts of ways: perhaps the HoC chooses, or a committee of both current Lords and MPs. Any stitch-up would become very obvious. Perhaps take as a basis various characteristics such as employment levels in each sector, union membership, religious attendance etc. It is not exactly complex stuff, and far better the hideous current system.

2) They can carry a party card. In fact, I'd see that as a positive. But the fact that they were proposed by members of their community to have applicable knowledge in their areas, and are not politically active (see my earlier points) would indicate that any such people might be able to put party preferences behind them. And the people who propose them might not like obvious political leanings ...
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    malcolmg said:

It is a sign of how poor the Tories are that their saviour is a buffoon. How dire will it be to be beaten by Ed is crap.

Ah! I am reminded of those SNP halcyon days of the Second Coming in September 2004 and the TV debate of August 2014. It has been a long wait, but on the 19 September, worth it.
  • Options

An awful lot of guff being written about a chap, who is not an MP and may not be in 2015.

Meanwhile.

The Mail reports on Vince Cable’s anger at a ‘whispering’ campaign within the LDs that he is considering leaving the Cabinet immediately after the party’s autumn conference.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2720943/Cables-fury-Nick-Clegg-allies-spread-Vince-set-quit-rumours-whispering-campaign.html

He wouldn't be missed.
  • Options

Charles said:

What's bad about peer inflation, specifically?
    Makes the house of lords unwieldy, dilutes accountability, reduces the time available for proper scrutiny (by fragmenting attention) and increases the number of lobby fodder.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

JackW said:

Pick a total number of peers (300? 400?) Divide it into broad areas (e.g. sciences, law, religion, charities, politics, manufacturing, unions) and allocate numbers according to sector. Then get organisations within those sectors to propose people for elevation from within their ranks. For instance the Royal Society of Chemistry may propose three people, the Institute of Civil Engineers the same. Unite might get a couple of peers, and all branches of the medical profession thirty...(snip)
    I've argued for this sort of thing in the past, with a couple of additions:
    1. It should include some people who are normally excluded from any kind of power - long-term unemployed, disabled people, etc.: politics needs input from people with direct experience of powerlessness.
    2. It should get FIRST look at all new Bills, so that the Commons benefits from expert proposed amendments.
    3. It should lose the right to block and delay - inappropriate for an unelected chamber, and a distraction from the main job of expert assessment.

The main snag of this corporate state approach is that it tends to overweight organised professional bodies in a slightly random way - should there be more or fewer engineers than doctors, for instance?

Friends who've given evidence at Lords Select Committees say they're a strange experience - you get Britain's leading experts asking searching, difficult questions, and borderline senile people making random remarks. I do think it needs either an age limit or periodic reappointment (to check if still compos mentis).
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

I agree with Warsi on both GAZA,Israeli weapon supply and her prediction regarding GE 2015.

The fact she claims to be the lone voice arguing for a ban on arms sales to Israel in a room full of Tories and LDs speaks volumes.

Not least about the hypocrisy of the DPM.

What she was doing in that room or in the Tory party in the first place is a mystery, but heh sinners repent and all that.

Sad that she bangs on about "immigrants" and Gaza - nothing interesting to say about the economy or particularly education..

No loss.
  • Options
    Financier said:

JJ - baisically agree. The HoL also needs people who are used to running/managing businesses etc - that is what a lot of the hereditaries were good at. Would you also have a lower age limit - say 35 - so that people have some experience of life?

That's an interesting one, but as we needs 'experts', there would seem to be a natural slant towards older people who have had more experience. This would even be the case in technology.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Charles said:

MikeK said:

I'd probably go for an elected Senate, with proper representation for different regions.

Clearly NI, Wales and Scotland and London are easy regions with commonality of interests. I do wonder whether it is possible to devise different "types" of interest (e.g. metropolitan vs market town vs rural) which need representation rather than just doing it geographically, but don't have an easy answer.

I'd add in some ex-officios: I do think there is a role for Lords Spiritual (but probably fewer in number, and not just Anglican).
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Warsi is 100% correct. The Tories will not win a majority in the UK again until they win a lot more ethnic minority voters.

• Options

There is no reason to believe that someone who is an expert in chemistry or in medicine will be any good at drafting or revising legislation pertaining to science or the National Health Service. In fact, if you want the House of Lords to produce disinterested, well-drafted legislation the principles of which have been approved by the Commons, filling it with "experts" seems a thoroughly bad idea.
  • Options

But the fact that they were proposed by members of their community to have applicable knowledge in their areas, and are not politically active (see my earlier points) would indicate that any such people might be able to put party preferences behind them. And the people who propose them might not like obvious political leanings ...

Proposal by members of their community tends to end up with proposal of those who can be bothered to sit through the committee meetings necessary

Co-op Group's Board is a great example of why this doesn't work well.
  • Options
    IOS said:

Warsi is 100% correct. The Tories will not win a majority in the UK again until they win a lot more ethnic minority voters.

That is my view too.
  • Options
    The Tories will not win a majority in the UK again until they win a lot more ethnic minority voters.

On the other hand, it does not do these days to be seen as the party of the ethnic minority voter. Not if you don;t want to lose northern council seats by the bucket load to UKIP.

Hence the extremely tricky balancing act for Dave and Ed. They support the Gazans, to the extent that.....er.....it doesn't drive people to UKIP.
  • Options

I've argued for this sort of thing in the past, with a couple of additions:
    1. It should include some people who are normally excluded from any kind of power - long-term unemployed, disabled people, etc.: politics needs input from people with direct experience of powerlessness.
    2. It should get FIRST look at all new Bills, so that the Commons benefits from expert proposed amendments.
    3. It should lose the right to block and delay - inappropriate for an unelected chamber, and a distraction from the main job of expert assessment.

The main snag of this corporate state approach is that it tends to overweight organised professional bodies in a slightly random way - should there be more or fewer engineers than doctors, for instance?

Friends who've given evidence at Lords Select Committees say they're a strange experience - you get Britain's leading experts asking searching, difficult questions, and borderline senile people making random remarks. I do think it needs either an age limit or periodic reappointment (to check if still compos mentis).

Whereas the current system overweighs massively towards failed politicians, many of whom appear utterly clueless. And that goes for all parties. Most of the current intake are utterly hopeless, and should be nowhere near the legislature.

I more or less agree with 1); except they may also be represented by groups (e.g. charities, unions). A HoL on such lines would need people with more sense than just screaming "it's not fair" at whatever their bête noire is. Passion yes, but it should be levelled out with common sense. They would also need cooperation and a sense that good ideas and debate might persuade them otherwise. People who have reached the top of their professions often have these qualities, politics being a dishonourable exception.

An unemployed civil engineer might be better served by an ex-president of the ICE than a long-term firebrand unemployed person.

2) Peers with an expertise in an area should be able to be called to select committees to give evidence; if this happens, the relevant peers should garner advice from others in the HoL. Having them in both stages might pollute the process, and legislation should initially be drawn up by representatives of the people.

3) No. Most MPs in the HoC are well-meaning sorts, but as a whole they aren't that good at putting their common sense ahead of party affiliation. As long as that remains the case, a reconstituted HoL should have the right to say to the common: "You're barking. Think again."
  • Options

There is no reason to believe that someone who is an expert in chemistry or in medicine will be any good at drafting or revising legislation pertaining to science or the National Health Service. In fact, if you want the House of Lords to produce disinterested, well-drafted legislation the principles of which have been approved by the Commons, filling it with "experts" seems a thoroughly bad idea.
    Utterly disagree. Perhaps you should get to know some industries outwith law?

And anyway, the idea that the current HoL is good for this purpose is laughable.
  • Options

The fact she claims to be the lone voice arguing for a ban on arms sales to Israel in a room full of Tories and LDs speaks volumes....

Yeah, but....

Cronie McBlair sold* UK aerospace technology [BAe Replica] to be part of the JSF/JCA Dave-B project. So how does the UK government stop Lockheed-Martin supplying F35-As to Isreal...?

:lefties-lifes-ignorants:

* A sale that cost the English taxpayer £2billion I must add.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

IOS said:

That is my view too.
    Labour is the party of welfare. That's attractive to many ethnics.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,748
    Salmond changes his tune 'clarifies' his position on the £ and national debt:

The Bank of England itself holds the title to over a quarter of the UK's entire national debt of around £1.3 trillion. And it is all that debt which Westminster would be agreeing to take on board in its entirety if Scotland was denied continued use of the central bank.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/if-the-no-camp-think-telling-ordinary-scots-they-have-zero-entitlement-to-a.25003848

So Scotland would not be 'debt free' - even Salmond admits it would be liable for its share of three quarters of the debt - and of course, one suspects the other quarter would be subject to some negotiation.......
  • Options
    Perdix

Lol if thats the best the Tories can do no wonder you are screwed. No majorities for you until you start winning over the young northern Asian graduate and the small business running black london community.
  • Options
    Charles said:

But the fact that they were proposed by members of their community to have applicable knowledge in their areas, and are not politically active (see my earlier points) would indicate that any such people might be able to put party preferences behind them. And the people who propose them might not like obvious political leanings ...

Proposal by members of their community tends to end up with proposal of those who can be bothered to sit through the committee meetings necessary

Co-op Group's Board is a great example of why this doesn't work well.
    That is a problem. But I would counter with (say) the example of the role of president of the ICE:
    http://www.ice.org.uk/About-ICE/People/Past-Presidents

Organisations often elect the best people to their top positions. And they would be aware that electing a joke figure, or a bad 'un, could reflect badly on themselves and their sector

It's easy to see how the addition of one or two such illustrious people could actually help us towards a more sane legislature and legislation, especially when spread over the totality of society.

And remember: this will be a position with little income: it would have to be one people wanted to serve on for reasons other than money.

The fact is, it couldn't be worse than what we already have.
  • Options
    Taffys

LOL! This shows how much the Tories know about northern council estates. People don't vote UKIP because of ethnic minorities. They vote UKIP because they don't feel that anyone listens to them.

Very different things.
  • Options
    The Tory party also needs to adopt all women's shortlists if it ever wants to win a majority.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    In the ST today a great quote from Lord Adonis:

"Apart from my own name the Transpenine Express is the greatest misnomer of all time"

If Labour had half a dozen people of his ability they would be fit to run the country. Unfortunately he really stands out, as he did in the last government.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited August 2014
    IOS said:

Most of my family are Tories. We have expansive immigrant roots from accross Eurasia. I can only assume that such diverse breeding is not required for Labour voters: Inbred cousins tend to be "conservative Asians for Dr 'Sven' Palmer", no...?
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited August 2014

Utterly disagree. Perhaps you should get to know some industries outwith law?

And anyway, the idea that the current HoL is good for this purpose is laughable.

No defence of the existing arrangements was made. My point was that filling the Lords with "experts" will entrench and legitimise lobbies of already powerful vested interests, such as the medics. The result will not be better drafted legislation, but to extend the ability of special interests to capture the political process for their own ends. Being a good doctor or engineer in no way qualifies a person to understand, draft or revise legislation that will not turn out to be a dog's breakfast when it comes before a court of law. A fiasco similar to those of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 and the Criminal Justice Act 2003 would become more, not less likely with a revising chamber made up of "experts".
  • Options
    perdix said:

IOS said:

That is my view too.
    Labour is the party of welfare. That's attractive to many ethnics.

Seems that much of the UKIP vote is too from what I see although of course they have worked all their life Cough
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

Salmond changes his tune 'clarifies' his position on the £ and national debt:

The Bank of England itself holds the title to over a quarter of the UK's entire national debt of around £1.3 trillion. And it is all that debt which Westminster would be agreeing to take on board in its entirety if Scotland was denied continued use of the central bank.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/if-the-no-camp-think-telling-ordinary-scots-they-have-zero-entitlement-to-a.25003848

So Scotland would not be 'debt free' - even Salmond admits it would be liable for its share of three quarters of the debt - and of course, one suspects the other quarter would be subject to some negotiation.......

So if the government managed to reverse QE by the time of Scottish independence we would be paying our share of that too? This man claims to have a degree in economics? It is just embarrassing.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

As they are there to revise legislation, it should be filled with experts in as many areas as possible. People who have sufficient knowledge in their areas to actually understand and amend legislation that has come from the political hacks in the commons.....For instance the Royal Society of Chemistry may propose three people, the Institute of Civil Engineers the same. Unite might get a couple of peers, and all branches of the medical profession thirty......The HoL needs experts, and should not be a mirror of the commons.

Josias, my dear chap, I fundamentally disagree. What does a Professor of Chemistry know of planning law, or banking regulation?

The nub of it is the "role" of the House of Lords, which you state to be that of a revising chamber. But why is this? It is only because the House of Lords lost a series of power struggles with the House of Commons, as the development of popular democracy saw the former lose legitimacy. Formerly, the role of the House of Lords was to represent a different franchise to that of the Commons - just as is the case today in many other bicameral democracies, such as the USA, where the Senate balances the interests of States against those of the wider population in the House of Representatives.

In my view there is little point in retaining the House of Lords as a revising chamber - this role should more properly be performed by wider civil society in a less formal manner. I believe that one should either abolish the Lords, or to have it represent a different franchise to the Commons so that the two chambers can play the role of balancing the interests of different constituencies between them.

For example, one might make one chamber the House of Men and the other a House of Women, allowing the two sexes to be equally but separately represented. Or one might use a majoritarian voting system - such as FPTP - for the House of the Executive, and another voting system - some variant of PR - for the House of Consensus. The House of Debtors and the House of Creditors, perhaps? The House of Workers and the House of the Retired, Unemployed, Homemakers, etc?

Anything to save us from this dead-end of a "revising chamber".
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Very different things.

If that is so, why is labour, out of complete desperation, trying to be poacher turned game keeper on immigration? why are they, the party that let in 3 million, criticising the government for not going far enough??

After all, the UKIP offer on many other things isn't really that different to the tories. Or labour.
This discussion has been closed.