Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2014 in General

Comments

• Options
    Lay Boris
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Back Boris
  • Options
    Fpt David H

Yes being Mayor is a job equivalent to cab minister.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Back Boris

I did back him now I'm laying him
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    If Tories win in 2015, the likely leadership successor will be Osborne.

If Tories lose in 2015, then it will Boris v. May. And I think Boris will win.

IMHO.
  • Options

IMHO.

Phil Hammond if the Tories lose power next year.

It'll be an outer to unite us with those turncoat kippers.
  • Options

IMHO.

Hammond is boring - lay Hammond.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Speculation about Boris as Prime Minister heightened in the run up to Cameron's election campaign is a good thing?
    Any denials Boris makes about his future plans in the "House" will be met by skepticism, and a future poll repeating the last one showing an improvement in Tory fortunes would set the party alight.
    The odds of such a poll being conducted are vanishingly small of course.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    I've still got my Pinot!! Therefore, you lucky people, are entitled to my views on Boris-

Great hair. I bought his fiction book, mainly on the basis of his hair, but I didn't get past chapter 1 - it was a bit crap.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    It will certainly change the dynamic in Sheffield Hallam if Boris is the Conservative candidate.
  • Options
    Boris is best priced at 11/4 with Paddy Power to be the Tories' next leader. This doesn't look remotely like value to me, not least because one could be waiting years for such a bet to be settled.
  • Options
    @SandyRentool
    Somewhere in Liverpool could prove entertaining?
  • Options

IMHO.

I agree with TSE that for a punt on there being a Tory leadership change next year, Hammond looks the outstanding value at 16/1 with Ladbrokes. DYOR
  • Options
    Find it quite comical that OGH thinks Boris could be the man to win over UKIP supporters. A lot of Kippers tend not to be very keen on the metropolitan elite and Boris is most definitely part of the metropolitan elite.

Far better to try and find Boris a seat in/near London and then send him off to shore up the vote in places like Hendon and Enfield North
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Boris would have had an effect if he was leader of the tory party not simply running for a single seat.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    The thing that's attractive about Boris is that he is able to articulate a very positive and believable vision for voters.

Whether his visions come true or not is another question. London didn't seem to be too shabby, last time I looked.
  • Options
    Find it quite comical that OGH thinks Boris could be the man to win over UKIP supporters.

Boris has already said that Britain could have a great future outside the EU. Inside a reformed EU would be better, but still, if we're out, so be it. What isn;t acceptable is staying in an unreformed EU.

Boris has been clearer on Europe in four sentences than Dave has in four years.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Find it quite comical that OGH thinks Boris could be the man to win over UKIP supporters. A lot of Kippers tend not to be very keen on the metropolitan elite and Boris is most definitely part of the metropolitan elite.

Far better to try and find Boris a seat in/near London and then send him off to shore up the vote in places like Hendon and Enfield North

Boris is popular with Con/UKIP waverers. Whether he would remain popular with them as Conservative leader is another matter.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    He isn't going to be leader in GE2015 so, on topic... So what?

Ukip voters in Grimsby aren't going to vote Tory because Boris is standing in Uxbridge

As for next PM, being Mayor of London trumps any cabinet post

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    taffys said:

The thing that's attractive about Boris is that he is able to articulate a very positive and believable vision for voters.

Whether his visions come true or not is another question. London didn't seem to be too shabby, last time I looked.

taffys said:

Yes you have a point - he is articulate - in a stuttering sort of way. But what he adds I think is a way of confronting an issue in (and I am struggling for a word here) a 'fearless' or up front' way rather than be say 'nuanced' or 'coy' because of a fear of leaving a hostage to fortune. I don't think I have got the right word but he is able to disarm his critics and interviewers by going along with them.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Smarmeron said:

Speculation about Boris as Prime Minister heightened in the run up to Cameron's election campaign is a good thing?
    Any denials Boris makes about his future plans in the "House" will be met by skepticism, and a future poll repeating the last one showing an improvement in Tory fortunes would set the party alight.
    The odds of such a poll being conducted are vanishingly small of course.

Agree but I am not clear on whether this will be a good or bad thing for the Cons.

If Cam wins 2015 and steps down 2017 (as has been mentioned on here) then you have Boris presiding over a referendum but then presumably you will have a pro-exit Cons party.

Is that good?

btw are all these posts off-topic as this is an "undefined discussion topic"?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Must agree Boris won't win back Kippers, given his general pro-EU outlook.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

These are the same kippers who worship at the feet of city slicker public school educated camel hair coated Farage?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    o/t - More good value from Paddy Power?

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/uk-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=1835902

The above market is "the current cabinet to last until the GE". I thought it was widely accepted that Clegg was just waiting until the referendum was out of the way to have his reshuffle and put Jo Swinson in as Scottish Secretary? If that's the case then 8/11 on 'no' must be great value (not even counting the possibility of someone falling off the Cabinet wagon for other reasons).
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    If someone asked Boris how many families with school-age children have moved out of London or further out of London because of the gang culture the political class pretends doesn't exist I wonder what his answer would be.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    re earlier post on Lib Dem reshuffle:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/07/lib-dems-delay-jo-swinsons-promotion-cabinet

(Other speculation also exists - as PfP would say, DYOR!)

Mind you it's not worth getting excited about at the amount I got on :(

One commentator's view on the above article:

"George Eaton your sources are rubbish and your speculation amateur. Learn to double source or at least speak to someone who makes the decision." !
  • Options
    MrJones said:

If someone asked Boris how many families with school-age children have moved out of London or further out of London because of the gang culture the political class pretends doesn't exist I wonder what his answer would be.

He'd probably blame the bankstas.
  • Options
    @TOPPING
    It can't be off topic as the last sentence of the header is "Whatever Boris is now back as strong favourite for the leadership."
    I am not sure if Boris has much of a chance to be honest, but the media will play with the idea, and uncertainty is usually not a good thing for a government pushing a ticket of "steady as she goes"
  • Options

I see your point Mr Morris, but judging by the recent articles in the telly, he does appear to have tacked to kipboard somewhat.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    taffys said:

I see your point Mr Morris, but judging by the recent articles in the telly, he does appear to have tacked to kipboard somewhat.

Boris believes in little except self-advancement. No serious Eurosceptic should trust him, but that doesn't mean that some will.
  • Options
    Is the Asian dude the new Boulton then? Wasn't there a market? Anyone make any money??
  • Options
    This is quite amazing.... Black flight about to start? These white newcomers are making the locals feel alienated... I can understand why. As I said a hundred times, it's human nature to feel this way about an area you felt at home in... Wonder how those who mocked WWC will react

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11014543/White-hipsters-not-black-looters-are-now-threatening-post-riots-London.html
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    FPT
    America is hunting for another leaker after this is published:

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/article/2014/08/05/watch-commander/

680 thousand suspected terrorists in the USA.

I used to be very pro US but after 9/11 they went insane imo.

If anybody thinks Israel/Gaza will be an important issue at the next election they are crazy.

I think it will have an effect on how the USUK governments are perceived around the world which may have some indirect side effects.

Britain's now very sizeable Muslim minority will sway a dozen seats, maybe more.

More because of the very high differential turnout imo.

Most voters also think Hamas is wrong to launch rockets into Israel. The election will be decided by UKIP voters, more of whom support Israel over Palestine

I'd guess that support may be qualified though. If people get rockets fired at them then it's understandable if they lash out but on the other hand it was still a punishment beating with tanks. As far as UK politics is concerned I'd say the important point is consistency - politicians who talk about "war crimes" and "international law" etc should either be completely consistent or don't talk about it at all.

The [Scottish] currency itself is a red herring

Disagree but even if it was true the **perception** of not having down their homework on the basics was a killer imo. They should have gone with their own currency right from the off just for simplicity's sake.

• Options
    [Wonder how those who mocked WWC will react]

Nobody mocks the WWC - they just wonder why they have to act so scary all time.

The Pinot makes me brave enough to comment on the WWC!!! 250ml all round!!!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    So what about his pledge that he will be a full time Mayor ? Who cares ?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Lay Boris

As several females have. Allegedly!
    Which, even today I think will count against him.
  • Options
    Wonder how those who mocked WWC will react

If gentrification is happening, its certainly not showing up in any voting changes. Islington is totally red, hackney still very red, and London went a fair bit redder overall in May.

The reason, I think, is that even those white hipsters who have moved in are only just able to afford the rent. They like Ed's rent freeze proposals.

That said, some Hackney pubs are like the White Horse in Parsons Green in the 1980s. Full of yuppies.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @isam

You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Lay Boris

You will find he has been laying quite a few himself.
  • Options
    Gentrifiers tend not to have kids until it's safe.
  • Options
    isam said:

This is quite amazing.... Black flight about to start? These white newcomers are making the locals feel alienated... I can understand why. As I said a hundred times, it's human nature to feel this way about an area you felt at home in... Wonder how those who mocked WWC will react

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11014543/White-hipsters-not-black-looters-are-now-threatening-post-riots-London.html

Are there farmers' markets locally?
  • Options
    Puns on Lay? PB can do better than this!!!

One thing I don't like about PB nowadays is the 'do you want to bet on that' thing that's been with us for years now, crappy pub tactics, - it was done with an element of pb ideology when it started.

Andrew Neil set a very bad precedent when he engaged on a bet as an interviewer. It's fine for us - but A Neil should have known better than to allow a precedent like that.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    SeanT said:

A lot of peculiar volatility on the Inyref betting markets today.

At first they moved significantly towards YES, at one point NO was circling the airport at 1/5; but now the money is going the other way: most bookies are offering 1/7 or even shorter.

Not quite sure what it means. Probably nothing at all.

I'm not really replying to you - however - as a Britnat, I must say I do feel much perkier today. Whatever happens - certainly from last night I don't know how BT could have done much more. Like an idiot who mixes sports and politics - I feel - we gave it our best shot.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

Two British medical students stabbed to death in Borneo:

http://news.sky.com/story/1314100/british-students-stabbed-to-death-in-borneo
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Neil said:

isam said:

Are there farmers' markets locally?
    The locals can't afford a coffee in the local cafe apparently... So I doubt the bargain "locally resourced" pulled pork baps at £6 a pop will make them welcome in the newbies
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The locals can't afford a coffee in the local cafe apparently.

Have you read the comments below that article? Not exactly dishing out the compliments.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Have you read the comments below that article? Not exactly dishing out the compliments.

With the Telegraph it's best not to. They're even worse than we are!
  • Options
    isam said:

Headline a bit misleading - its not the white hipsters who are going to be rioting..

Still an interesting investment opportunity for a community - vote Labour long enough until your borough becomes a benefit ridden dungheap - then buy up all the property cheap - make it nice again and cash in - trebles all round.

• Options
    - vote Labour long enough until your borough becomes a benefit ridden dungheap -

Only works if you are in London though. No prospect of a return on labour's other dung heaps.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    taffys said:
    "One reader demanded, "Stop deleting the Pro-White comments, Telegraph mods." "

Christ, if the posts that got up there are the *moderated* ones?!
  • Options
    Cabinet *not* to go all the way now in to 8/15 - still value I would say. Paddy Power getting a bit of action from pbc today!
  • Options
    Manchester United suffer a major blow.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28678139
  • Options
    Christ, if the posts that got up there are the *moderated* ones?!

Indeed Neil. And what is particularly striking is that the more ..er....'radical' a post, the more likes it tends to get. I always take these things with a big pinch of salt, but there can be little doubt that the terms of the immigration/race debate have swung very markedly in the last few years.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited August 2014
    AndyJS said:
    Salmond accused Darling of coming up with questions he couldn't answer.

... It should have said.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    What I find most baffling about the yougov grid in this post is that 8% of lib dem voters say would switch to "other" if it was Boris instead of Cameron as Tory leader.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Cabinet *not* to go all the way now in to 8/15 - still value I would say. Paddy Power getting a bit of action from pbc today!

Carmichael is standing down post the referendum.

• Options
    taffys said:

I always take these things with a big pinch of salt, but there can be little doubt that the terms of the immigration/race debate have swung very markedly in the last few years.

Oh, I would take it with even more salt than that. It's just people on the internet. Everyone knows we're mad.
  • Options

Neil said:

Has there been an announcement? If so 8/15 is ridiculous value (if not as good as the 8/11 earlier on).
  • Options
    @Neil
    "Cabinet *not* to go all the way"
    Is "heavy petting" a void bet?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Has there been an announcement? If so 8/15 is ridiculous value (if not as good as the 8/11 earlier on).
    It's unofficial.

The plan is to make Jo Swinson Scotland Secretary to

1) Stop the Lib Dems being all male

2) Give her a better chance of holding her seat

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/07/lib-dems-delay-jo-swinsons-promotion-cabinet
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    AndyJS said:
    As is the case with all things, the debate was Good For Yes.
  • Options
    @TSE

I linked to that piece earlier - there was an unflattering comment about how well sourced it was but I've seen enough speculation about it to be on this one (for a pittance, obviously).
  • Options

how about 1st/2nd/3rd/4th base instead??
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Neil
    "Cabinet *not* to go all the way"

:) Are you following instructions Smarmy??

Anyway - given our past interactions -I feel I should be allowed to ask the question that should come to all PBers at some stage-

Do You Bet On Politics?
  • Options
    Or semi evolved apes are screeching, if they start beating their chests...run for the hills.
    "Ukraine crisis: Putin orders retaliatory sanctions"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28680656
    (sharpening sticks remains optional for the moment) ;-)
  • Options
    taffys said:

how about 1st/2nd/3rd/4th base instead??

Like some sort of spread/line bet - you're being silly and the metaphor doesn't even begin to work.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited August 2014
    Neil said:

@TSE

I linked to that piece earlier - there was an unflattering comment about how well sourced it was but I've seen enough speculation about it to be on this one (for a pittance, obviously).

A well renowned Lib Dem who blogs about betting on politics also has that story from a reputable source for quite some time.

Their source also tipped Michael Moore as next cabinet minister out next at 25/1 last year.

So the source has a great track record
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    With my political insight? Are you insan....don't bother answering
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Smarmeron,

""Ukraine crisis: Putin orders retaliatory sanctions"

Mind your feet. Once he shuts down the gas, we'll need to start fracking underneath where you're standing.
  • Options
    @CD13
    "My sanctions are better than your sanctions!"
    At least politicians are consistent across the world?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "Drug smugglers Michaella McCollum and Melissa Reid are told they could soon be on their way home after the Peruvian authorities agree to let them serve the rest of their sentences in the UK"

Why in Gods name do we want the expense of keeping this pair. They were prepared to spread human misery for their own gain so suddenly the British taxpayer has to fork out? Their offence had no connection with the UK (they were trying to smuggle drugs from Peru to Spain), so why should we be paying out. Their gaol in Peru is horrible and their family can't visit very often, who is responsible for them being in such a mess?
  • Options

A well renowned Lib Dem who blogs about betting on politics also has that story from a reputable source for quite some time.

I thought he was tipping Carmichael as the next leader of the Lib Dems? ;)
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Smarmeron,

Mind your feet. Once he shuts down the gas, we'll need to start fracking underneath where you're standing.

Ha ha ha!!!!

Come on then Smarmy-

Why are you and your hippy commie lot Anti-fracking?

• Options
    Neil said:

I thought he was tipping Carmichael as the next leader of the Lib Dems? ;)
    Carmichael is happy to be Malleus Nattorum

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    I would have thought one drawback of Boris is that he has just spent several years as mayor of London, arguing for the primacy of London and for an even greater skewing of investment priorities towards London. I wouldn’t have thought this would endear him to many outside the south-east? His ‘Heineken’ qualities are often cited (Boris reaches the parts that other Tories can’t reach i.e. the north of England) but I would have thought that due to the understandable enthusiasm with which he has embraced his current role, he is now significantly less attractive to northern voters. When John Prescott was feeling particularly belligerent in front of northern audiences he used to refer, pejoratively, to ‘the London Tories’ (and don’t doubt the extent to which ‘London’ is a pejorative term to the country north of Nottingham) – this is a label which is now more firmly attached to Boris than to any other prominent Conservative.
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    Never said I was anti fracking, I just hope they don't make as much of a mess this time as "Paraffin Young" made.
    ( BTW you do realise that not all deposits are economically recoverable? Ask the Poles )
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    CD13 said:

Mr Smarmeron,

Which is why the "dash for gas" (ie using gas to generate electricity) was not necessarily without drawbacks.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    [Never said I was anti fracking]

Well then your persona, Smarmy, as opposed to your ideology, is all over the place. I bet you even vote Labour - Eh? Oh pragmatic communist one.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Smarmeron said:

@CD13
    "My sanctions are better than your sanctions!"
    At least politicians are consistent across the world?

Very consistent:
    http://www.english.rfi.fr/france/20140805-france-supply-lebanon-weapons-battle-islamist-insurgents

France to give weapons to Lebanon to fight syrian rebels.
  • Options
    I vote, not to do so is a disgrace to those who fought for the right
    Other than that, you will have to respect the sanctity of the ballot ;-)
  • Options
    @Speedy
    War is hell, but a stunning marketing opportunity.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Speedy

Reminds me of the 34th Rule of Acquisition ;)
  • Options
    @RobD
    An Exocet in the cruiser is worth two in the practice range?
  • Options
    Poor Rangers. Literally; really, really, really poor club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28678687
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@RobD
    An Exocet in the cruiser is worth two in the practice range?

Something along those lines... hah!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Smarmeron said:

@Speedy

Reminds me of the 34th Rule of Acquisition ;)
    Don't forget 35.

112 is my favourite.

• Options
    Neil said:

Too wee, too poor, too stupid?
  • Options

Neil said:

Too wee, too poor, too stupid?
    You might say that ... it would probably upset TGOHF though.

• Options

And yet without Rangers Scottish football is a total farce

With Rangers its only a partial farce.
  • Options
    @taffys

I wouldnt say that. The Championship is looking like it's going to be quite exiting this season.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT - there were a few wars mentioned by @DavidHerdson.

Very disappointed that he didn't mention my favorite one...

The War of the Spanish Succession:

Fought between the English and the French, with battles in Belgium, Germany and America as to whether an Bourbon or an Austrian got to be King of Spain
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    taffys said:
    Imagine how she would feel if these newcomers were being imported by the government like they are in Thurrock and Dagenham?

What she says is only natural when an areas nature changes rapidly, in but imagine if a white person said the same specifically about blacks? Probably be calls for them to be charged/imprisoned.

The sentiment behind it and even the mentions of urination resemble a misunderstood, happy shopper version of Enoch's speech

One nation my arse
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
  • Options
    MikeK said:
    That's pretty piss-poor political analysis, isnt it?
  • Options
    Neil said:

See Leeds, Pompey, Coventry etc - football clubs are easy prey for asset strippers.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

"Drug smugglers Michaella McCollum and Melissa Reid are told they could soon be on their way home after the Peruvian authorities agree to let them serve the rest of their sentences in the UK"

Why in Gods name do we want the expense of keeping this pair. They were prepared to spread human misery for their own gain so suddenly the British taxpayer has to fork out? Their offence had no connection with the UK (they were trying to smuggle drugs from Peru to Spain), so why should we be paying out. Their gaol in Peru is horrible and their family can't visit very often, who is responsible for them being in such a mess?

They are British citizens and entitled to the protection of the Crown.

Sometimes that is inconvenient and expensive, but as soon as you allow cost to dilute that principle you are on very dangerous ground.
This discussion has been closed.