Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Salmond-Darling encounter: Watch the full debate here

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Salmond-Darling encounter: Watch the full debate here

Given how difficult it was for those outside Scotland to watch last night here are three YouTube videos of the entire event. Part 2 is perhaps the sharpest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited August 2014
    First, Darling.

Did you roast the Salmond?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Second, like Salmond!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    dr_spyn said:

First, Darling.

Did you roast the Salmond?

Salmond is best steamed!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @RobD FPT

Congrats - they have a great astrophysics faculty there (my wife always regrets that she chose history of art over nuclear physics - don't ask!).

The International Relations team is great - the others I got to know best were Robert Birgeneau and Richard Lyons who are both great people
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Charles said:

@RobD FPT

Congrats - they have a great astrophysics faculty there (my wife always regrets that she chose history of art over nuclear physics - don't ask!).

The International Relations team is great - the others I got to know best were Robert Birgeneau and Richard Lyons who are both great people

Yep, am looking forward to it! And regarding your wife - I don't think I have ever heard of such a dramatic change of direction!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Is the shambolic way the debate was structured and chaired an indication of the shambolic way Scotland won't be able to manage its own affairs when it is independent, and will have to be propped up by aid from North Korea and Eritrea?

QTWTAIN, but anyway
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Salmond, hoist by his own petard – caught out blagging over his monetary union claims.

He can't say he wasn't warned enough, it just fell on deaf ears.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    I was amazed at the unpreparedness of Salmond on key matters - almost as if he believed all of his own propaganda - had nobody on his team staged a mock debate to test all those weak points - or were they not allowed to?

At times he looked like a fish out of water - opening his mouth gasping for air and saying nothing meaningful - at others like a morris dancer (sorry MD) dancing about a stage with a pricked and slowly deflating bladder.

Surely he cannot recover at the projected second BBC debate - unless he rapidly changes his stance on some policies.
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see whether we've heard pretty much the last of Warsi as a leading light in the Tory party - I suspect this may well prove to be the case.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Financier said:

I was amazed at the unpreparedness of Salmond on key matters - almost as if he believed all of his own propaganda - had nobody on his team staged a mock debate to test all those weak points - or were they not allowed to?

At times he looked like a fish out of water - opening his mouth gasping for air and saying nothing meaningful - at others like a morris dancer (sorry MD) dancing about a stage with a pricked and slowly deflating bladder.

Surely he cannot recover at the projected second BBC debate - unless he rapidly changes his stance on some policies.

Astonishing. Its not as if the currency question was unexpected.

What is left to be covered in the second debate that was not discussed last night?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @peter_from_putney
    Possibly as a Tory, but on previous patterns, not the last as a "loose cannon".
  • Options
    I doubt that the debate will change many minds, but Salmond's performance was a real eye-opener. I had expected someone with masterful debating skills who would be totally on top of his brief. But he struggled to a surprising degree. He really did not have any answers on currency and seemed to spend most of his time peddling lines that will go down well with convinced Yes supporters only. The stuff about aliens and driving on the right hand side of the road was extraordinary.

What Salmond said about the oil money was a gift that Darling failed to spot. The only way Scotland gets close to being able to balance its books is by including North Sea receipts in current spending; yet Salmond was talking about a fund like the Norwegian one, which would tie the oil money up. What he also failed to point out was the amount of tax and the extremely high prices that Norwegian's pay. Is that Salmond's vision for Scots who, let us remember, do not have earning levels close to those enjoyed in Norway? Salmond is absolutely right that the UK should have had an oil fund, but that flush was busted many years ago. It's too late now - and you cannot spend the same money twice.

That said, it's hard to believe that Salmond can be as bad again as he was last night. He does have time to recover. I still expect a narrow Yes win.
  • Options
    Amidst all the focus on last night's debate,there was a disappointing YouGov poll for the Tories, showing them slipping to 5% behind Labour.
    There seems to be a trend developing here - just when it seems as if they are making real progress - as indeed they need to and soon to justify the expectant crossover fans - they get hit by a poll such as this and lose considerable impetus as a result.
    Not good for the Blues.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Never mind Salmond, the STV web manager will surely be on the carpet this morning.
  • Options

Amidst all the focus on last night's debate,there was a disappointing YouGov poll for the Tories, showing them slipping to 5% behind Labour.
    There seems to be a trend developing here - just when it seems as if they are making real progress - as indeed they need to and soon to justify the expectant crossover fans - they get hit by a poll such as this and lose considerable impetus as a result.
    Not good for the Blues.

It shows that most of what we see is probably measurement noise.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    On the vastly important Scottish referendum question this morning :

44% - Full Scottish breakfast
    56% - Loch Fyne Kippers

A fine pair it is ....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    The majority of the people I watched the debate with were no supporters who were unlikely to change their minds but there was surprise and satisfaction that Darling was so animated and passionate. In contrast Salmond was trying hard not to be seen as too aggressive. The only time he failed in that was when he repeatedly talked over the top of Darling's answers, something the pathetic moderator did nothing about.

The second debate on the BBC is not finalised yet and I would be surprised if it happened. For no it really can't come better than this and I suspect Salmond would prefer to go back to speak to the converted and use his bully pulpit as FM where the playing field is rather more tipped in his favour.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Charles said:

@RobD FPT

Yep, am looking forward to it! And regarding your wife - I don't think I have ever heard of such a dramatic change of direction!
    I just think it's an unfulfilled fantasy to be honest!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Here is a link I just saw on Facebook, oddly appropriate for Darling:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/11010871/Lowering-expectations-is-key-to-happiness.html
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The majority of the people I watched the debate with were no supporters who were unlikely to change their minds but there was surprise and satisfaction that Darling was so animated and passionate. In contrast Salmond was trying hard not to be seen as too aggressive. The only time he failed in that was when he repeatedly talked over the top of Darling's answers, something the pathetic moderator did nothing about.

The second debate on the BBC is not finalised yet and I would be surprised if it happened. For no it really can't come better than this and I suspect Salmond would prefer to go back to speak to the converted and use his bully pulpit as FM where the playing field is rather more tipped in his favour.

For those of us not in Scotland what we probably learned last night is just how poor the opposition to Salmond and the SNP has been in the Scottish parliament. We were expecting a debating colossus, what we saw was a petty point-scorer with no mastery of detail. It was a huge surprise. If he really does dominate his political opponents in Scotland that tells us a lot about his political opponents. If Yes wins and Westminster ceases to be an option for ambitious Scottish politicians we should expect Salmond to disappear pretty swiftly on that performance.

• Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    Salmond only listens to Salmond, any one who disagrees or offers alternative views are at best ignored. The only person who managed to keep him under any sort of control was Kevin Pringle, who, probably much to his own relief, got promoted.

Even in the SNP itself, Salmond is not universally loved and adored but is tolerated because he is the nearest that Scotland has got to Independence in 300 odd years (not counting 1715 and 1745 when even if the Stuart's had won, Scotland would still have been under London).

The SNP are made up of many disparate groups and individuals who have one thought, that it will all be different when they are in control. Salmond knows this, which is why he probably preferred any referendum vote to take place after the next Holyrood election. Unfortunately for him, he got a majority and his hand was forced.

Make no mistake, if there is a Yes vote, Salmond knows that he has the fight of his life to retain political life if not relevance to remain in control. If the vote is No, then there are plenty of knives ready and waiting in the desks behind him in the Holyrood debating chamber.

There are too many people who accidentally became MSP's, acquiesced to keep stum and follow Salmond's line no matter what, and wasted 4 years of their lives. Interesting times!
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Re: Today's YouGov: 33/38/8/12/4

For LDers of a nervous disposition today's 2010 LD split is more normal (if it is ever normal) at:

Cons:15
    LAB: 32
    LD:31
    UKIP: 10
    Green: 10

The Cons have a nasty attack of UKIPitis today and the relevant blue pills have been given.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    It is a shame that the debate seems to have been won or lost on the essentially negative tactic of threatening the Scots with taking away the pound, and what would you do instead.

I don't believe this would happen for a moment. UK business would be up in arms about anything that made doing business more expensive across fUK. This is essentially an empty threat on the part of better together. In the event of a 'yes' there will be a humiliating u-turn from Osborne, Cameron and co.

Personally, I hope for a 'no' vote, but I am left in no doubt that Salmond has won the campaign.
  • Options
    Alex Salmond = Hannibal

Ali Darling = Scipio Africanus

Or for the fitba fans

Alex Salmond = Scotland

Ali Darling = Peru

I didn't dream that Salmond talked alien attacks did I?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    So Alex Salmond got duffed up acc to ICM. No surprise there.
  • Options

It is a shame that the debate seems to have been won or lost on the essentially negative tactic of threatening the Scots with taking away the pound, and what would you do instead.

I don't believe this would happen for a moment. UK business would be up in arms about anything that made doing business more expensive across fUK. This is essentially an empty threat on the part of better together. In the event of a 'yes' there will be a humiliating u-turn from Osborne, Cameron and co.

Personally, I hope for a 'no' vote, but I am left in no doubt that Salmond has won the campaign.

A currency union would entail rump UK bailing out a foreign county's banking system if it the need arises.

Think how popular that policy would be.

Yes Scotland is asking for a divorce but still expecting steak and [moderated] every week from the ex wife.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    It was a crap debate with both rubbish, not so sure Salmond lost. He tried to hard to be nice whereas Darling with the shouting and finger pointing lost the plot. Only bit Darling majored on was the currency , where it is obvious Salmond will never give a plan B. Any fool knows it will be a CU if a YES vote as the alternative is that UK keeps the pound and all the debt, they cannot have it both ways. The simple fact it comes down to is should Scottish people decide their future or do they want to leave it all to English people. Will come down to whether the population are sufficiently cowed or not with all the threats that are being promoted by BT.
  • Options

The pound question (and I think all three rUK parties are serious about no fiscal union without political union) does cast a light on Salmonds plans generally.

It exposes his bluster and lack of strategic planning, and most of all it exposes him as a man unwilling to be honest with the Scottish Electorate concerning the most important vote of their lives.

In that great political cliche: Would you buy a used car off this man?
  • Options

Alex Salmond = Hannibal

Or for the fitba fans

Alex Salmond = Scotland

Ali Darling = Peru

Scotlands lack of preparation for alien invasion is worrying. Rather reminiscent of Leicester Councils lack of plans for a zombie invasion:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-13713798
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It was a crap debate with both rubbish, not so sure Salmond lost. He tried to hard to be nice whereas Darling with the shouting and finger pointing lost the plot. Only bit Darling majored on was the currency , where it is obvious Salmond will never give a plan B. Any fool knows it will be a CU if a YES vote as the alternative is that UK keeps the pound and all the debt, they cannot have it both ways. The simple fact it comes down to is should Scottish people decide their future or do they want to leave it all to English people. Will come down to whether the population are sufficiently cowed or not with all the threats that are being promoted by BT.

I told you Darling would win. Salmond can't debate for toffee.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

Yesperado ?
  • Options
    I spent last evening on a plane flying from London to Edinburgh and then time at the fringe with my son. Scotland is hopping at the moment but no-one even mentioned the debate. The comments below are very sharp and pretty much get to the heart of the matter. The SNP are planning to take Scotland independent with a business case that would not even get a small firm loan. Sterling is just one of the massive unknowns but many others exist.

I will be voting No as will all my family and almost everyone at our work for one simple reason. Salmond's plans threaten our income and the money in our pockets. A long time ago it became clear that Salmond did not really have a plan for people like us so we stopped listening.

It may well be that the campaign rather than heating up is about to fizzle out. Why does Darling need another debate? No-one is gone to call him feart now (scared) and nothing to gain from it.

I have constantly been predicting a 60-65% No vote and nothing has changed my view. The SNP are out of game changers and the only thing left is for Cameron or the Scottish Labour party to make a massive mistake. I suggest they check their microphones constantly.

• Options

Alex Salmond = Hannibal

Or for the fitba fans

Alex Salmond = Scotland

Ali Darling = Peru

He was only quoting Hammond.
  • Options

I spent last evening on a plane flying from London to Edinburgh and then time at the fringe with my son. Scotland is hopping at the moment but no-one even mentioned the debate. The comments below are very sharp and pretty much get to the heart of the matter. The SNP are planning to take Scotland independent with a business case that would not even get a small firm loan. Sterling is just one of the massive unknowns but many others exist.

I will be voting No as will all my family and almost everyone at our work for one simple reason. Salmond's plans threaten our income and the money in our pockets. A long time ago it became clear that Salmond did not really have a plan for people like us so we stopped listening.

It may well be that the campaign rather than heating up is about to fizzle out. Why does Darling need another debate? No-one is gone to call him feart now (scared) and nothing to gain from it.

I have constantly been predicting a 60-65% No vote and nothing has changed my view. The SNP are out of game changers and the only thing left is for Cameron or the Scottish Labour party to make a massive mistake. I suggest they check their microphones constantly.

You miss the point , everyone knows people like you that have plenty of money will vote for self interest, unfortunately for you there are more poor people who will naturally be the other way. It will hinge on whether the poor believe there is hope as promoted by Salmond or if they are scared enough by the fear the NO campaign promotes.
    Interesting that the poll after the debate last night had YES up and Don't Knows 2:1 movement to YES. Labour party supporters are not happy being lapdogs for the Tories. Your view coloured by your comfortable , I am all right Jack position may well be mistaken.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Yesperado ?
    No change for me Flash , I am YES , only a fool would prefer you handling their money than them handling it themselves. We can only hope that we do not have a majority of fools.
  • Options
    By the way the best comment in the debate was Darling telling Salmond "imagine you are wrong" a classic.
  • Options

By the way the best comment in the debate was Darling telling Salmond "imagine you are wrong" a classic.

Yes and that from the fool that bankrupted the UK, only a unionist could come up with that.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

The pound question (and I think all three rUK parties are serious about no fiscal union without political union) does cast a light on Salmonds plans generally.

It exposes his bluster and lack of strategic planning, and most of all it exposes him as a man unwilling to be honest with the Scottish Electorate concerning the most important vote of their lives.

They're serious now, because they're using it as a wedge. In the event of ScExit, realpolitik comes into play, and I suspect, no I am confident there would be some pretty rapid backtracking. Remember, the prospect of Scotland joining the Euro wouldn't exactly be attractive to the fUK Government either.
  • Options

It was right on target, as the audience realised, exposing Salmond's preening self regard as bluster.

Darling's other good line was to refer to the current devolved status in the UK as "the best of both" which is a good positive slogan for BT.
  • Options

Lucky all you experts are here to help him. What a bunch of fools there are on here, you claim to be educated but are so stupid that you think he has not thought through clearly on the currency. I sincerely hope you are never treating me or I will be in a box for sure.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    I think, @malcolmg‌ that you are slightly missing the point. In one sense, it doesn't matter who won by three points, or lost by three points, or who was more rubbish. As long as Darling didn't lose by a huge margin, No was always going to be the winner from last night. Salmond needed a big, game-changing moment, a Clegg moment if you like - and it doesn't look as if he got it. And if he couldn't do it then, on the platform that could have been designed for him, against an opponent not noted for his fire or debating skills, it's difficult to see when he will get it.

PS - Salmond's comments on the pound are absurd. The pound scots [sic] was suppressed centuries ago (by that stage, having started off in equal value to the pound sterling it was worth approximately one shilling after mismanagement and adulteration). The pound sterling in its early evolutions was the currency of the medieval Angevin empire and its successor state in England. (It grew, of course, out of a pound of gold - but that's another story.) In a sense, the pound is the symbol of English rule over Scotland - not something Scotland has 'built up' or is 'theirs'. And there is absolutely no chance of any English politician agreeing a CU - feelings against Scotland after the way the Yes campaign has described England would preclude it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, my fellow users of the British pound.
  • Options
    The other high points last night

1) The SNP lady who asked Darling if he had an address in Scotland and was surprised that Darling didn't vote for the SNP

2) Gaelic girl
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    There would be a currency union if we split up, but Salmond's problem is that basically people are very risk averse on this sort of thing so even if there is a 1% chance there won't be then they won't go in for it.

The fear & negative campaigning will work, alot of people Salmond is trying to convince have only ever voted Scottish Labour, one of the most negative political outfits out there.
  • Options

They're serious now, because they're using it as a wedge. In the event of ScExit, realpolitik comes into play, and I suspect, no I am confident there would be some pretty rapid backtracking. Remember, the prospect of Scotland joining the Euro wouldn't exactly be attractive to the fUK Government either.
    Thats as maybe, but not a viable plan for government. "It'll all be alright on the night" and also fails to address the requirement for rUK veto on "independent" Scotlands tax, borrowing and banking regulation.

Surely it would have been better to argue all along for true independence?
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, I agree entirely.

Mr. Monksfield, there are huge economic and political reasons for England, Wales and Northern Ireland to be against a currency union.

Makes non-Scottish taxpayers liable to protect Scottish financial institutions if they fail due to the Bank of England being lender of last resort.

Helps protect Scottish financial sector, without which many/most of it would drift south and provide the UK (ex-Scotland) with more jobs and tax income.

Has been ruled out categorically by all major parties, and a u-turn would lead to a ballot box massacre.

There's also the problems for the Scots:

FREEEEDDDOOOOOM! And the first thing we'll do is hand over our interest rates to a foreign country.

Currency union would demand fiscal restraints. Or, England (as Salmond likes to refer to us so much) telling the Scots what to tax and how much they're allowed to borrow. That's more dependence than independence.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Lucky all you experts are here to help him. What a bunch of fools there are on here, you claim to be educated but are so stupid that you think he has not thought through clearly on the currency. I sincerely hope you are never treating me or I will be in a box for sure.
    If Salmond has a clear plan B, then why not trust the Electorate with it?

And of course my politics are quite separate from my medical skills!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    A feel a new definition of the word "fool" is in the making...

Fool (n) anyone who doesn't agree with Malcolm G.
  • Options

It was right on target, as the audience realised, exposing Salmond's preening self regard as bluster.

Darling's other good line was to refer to the current devolved status in the UK as "the best of both" which is a good positive slogan for BT.
    Unfortunately most people know the reality in that it is "the worst of both" we actually get. Empty slogans are de rigueur for labour , usual empty vacuous pronouncements which were exposed years and years ago.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Gaelic girl?
  • Options

1) The SNP lady who asked Darling if he had an address in Scotland and was surprised that Darling didn't vote for the SNP

2) Gaelic girl

Yes, Darling seemed totally taken aback by this odd question and just managed to splutter out that the fact that he did indeed have a home in Scotland and unsurprisingly voted for the Labour candidate. An altogether weird part of the proceedings.

As for "Gaelic Girl" - did I miss something?
  • Options
    This is a great story from one of our mags:

http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=177fb7b4-24c5-441a-a9b8-664f77ce8be8

A woman has been refused a new UK passport because she infringes a trademark in using her Skywalker middle name - which she got via deed poll in 2008 - in her signature.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I think, @malcolmg‌ that you are slightly missing the point. In one sense, it doesn't matter who won by three points, or lost by three points, or who was more rubbish. As long as Darling didn't lose by a huge margin, No was always going to be the winner from last night. Salmond needed a big, game-changing moment, a Clegg moment if you like - and it doesn't look as if he got it. And if he couldn't do it then, on the platform that could have been designed for him, against an opponent not noted for his fire or debating skills, it's difficult to see when he will get it.

PS - Salmond's comments on the pound are absurd. The pound scots [sic] was suppressed centuries ago (by that stage, having started off in equal value to the pound sterling it was worth approximately one shilling after mismanagement and adulteration). The pound sterling in its early evolutions was the currency of the medieval Angevin empire and its successor state in England. (It grew, of course, out of a pound of gold - but that's another story.) In a sense, the pound is the symbol of English rule over Scotland - not something Scotland has 'built up' or is 'theirs'. And there is absolutely no chance of any English politician agreeing a CU - feelings against Scotland after the way the Yes campaign has described England would preclude it.

I am not missing any point , a TV debate will change nothing. He obviously does not share your expert opinion on the pound and is sure that the unionists will fold when reality is required. When it comes down to CU or keeping all the debt , you will see what real position is.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    malcolmg said:

We may be fools, but it took us about 45 seconds to spot the issue of currency as being one that would scupper YES, unless there were some meaningful answers. What we got from you and other Nats was bluff, bluster and a refusal to acknowledge the point. Which is fine on here - but not so much when Salmond comes out with the same tactic last night.

When is comes to currency union, NO means NO.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Gaelic girl?

In the audience there was this girl and she was supposed to ask a question about pensions but she asked about the Gaelic language ('cause she's a speaker of it)

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Cards on the table, I'm voting YES.
    But Salmond was not good last night. Wasn't the car-crash that many are saying, he only really lost one part of the debate. But it was the manner in which he lost it. His answer to the plan B question was ok as a one-off answer, but as soon as he said the exact same thing when pressed, Darling smelt weakness and pressed and pressed. Nothing turns people off politics faster than a politician being evasive. Darling suffered the same problem with the "do you agree with Cameron" question, but it wasn't the killer blow it could have been due to the roasting he had just had.

My overriding feeling after the debate was one of a missed opportunity. There was a chance to show a real positive future for Scotland but instead it descended to politics as normal.
  • Options
    You can catch last night's #indyref debate again on BBC Parliament (@bbcdemlive) tonight at 7pm.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,258
    John Curtice's sum-up this morning: not much for the non-decided on which the vote now hangs:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/john-curtice-debate-that-neglected-the-undecided-1-3500253
  • Options

I agree. I have said all along that an independent Scotland will accept a currency union on the terms dictated by the rUK. Thus, Scotland will be nominally independent, but de facto will have its fiscal and economic policy controlled from London, but without the say that Scottish voters currently have. This is the real reason why Salmond will not talk about the currency - the reality of what a currency union will mean will be anathema to far too many dyed-in-the-wool nationalists.

• Options

malcolmg said:

He is not going to show his negotiating position at this stage. There was never any chance he can deviate from CU, he needs to keep all his options open. When they are down to negotiations it will be CU or no debt and then and if UK choose to cut off their nose to spite their face then it can be own currency and debt free.
    Only a fool would think that he has not considered every possible option on currency.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Mr. Eagles, Gaelic girl?

She asked an rather odd question wrt funding for the Gaelic language.

I suspect however TSE was more taken by her looks - she was a dove amongst crows imho.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

I am not missing any point , a TV debate will change nothing. He obviously does not share your expert opinion on the pound and is sure that the unionists will fold when reality is required. When it comes down to CU or keeping all the debt , you will see what real position is.
    It doesnt look as if we will ever find out who was bluffing, as looking increasingly likely that for the first time in their history Scots will shortly vote for Union with their British siblings in a plebescite.

What happens next? (SNP implosion?) And what are the implications for any similar BOO referendum? I can see the case for staying in winning that one too...
  • Options
    edited August 2014

malcolmg said:

We may be fools, but it took us about 45 seconds to spot the issue of currency as being one that would scupper YES, unless there were some meaningful answers. What we got from you and other Nats was bluff, bluster and a refusal to acknowledge the point. Which is fine on here - but not so much when Salmond comes out with the same tactic last night.

When is comes to currency union, NO means NO.
    YAWN, we will see. Is it like the Liberals pledges.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

He is not going to show his negotiating position at this stage. There was never any chance he can deviate from CU, he needs to keep all his options open. When they are down to negotiations it will be CU or no debt and then and if UK choose to cut off their nose to spite their face then it can be own currency and debt free.
    Only a fool would think that he has not considered every possible option on currency.
    Then he should have crafted an answer along those lines...
    Instead he just looked evasive and flapping.
  • Options

2) Gaelic girl

Yes, Darling seemed totally taken aback by this odd question and just managed to splutter out that the fact that he did indeed have a home in Scotland and unsurprisingly voted for the Labour candidate. An altogether weird part of the proceedings.

As for "Gaelic Girl" - did I miss something?
    He flips so often to make money that he was probably trying to remember if he still had a house in Scotland.
  • Options
    Of course the Scots like to pretend that they already have their own currency and kid the natives accordingly by arranging to print their own bank notes.

What they always fail to mention is that this convenient cosmetic arrangement is under the licence and rigorous control of the Bank of England.
  • Options
    @malcolmg‌:
    'a TV debate will change nothing.' Well, agreed, this one will change nothing. But since it needed to, that should worry you.

'He obviously does not share your expert opinion on the pound'. Which tells me he hasn't done his research properly. How that makes his position tenable is not clear to me. (Although, let's be fair, few politicians do on such matters. Ronald Reagan's remarkable admission over Iran-Contra, 'A few weeks ago, I informed you I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me this is true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not,' could be an epitaph for political slogans.)

'[He] is sure that the unionists will fold when reality is required.' Supposing he finds that the reality is that Alistair Darling was telling the truth? What then? That seems a legitimate question to me and one that Salmond has consistently refused to answer, much to my disappointment as I used to greatly admire him.

I am not English (the clue's in the username!) but I live in England and not by any means a right-wing, dyed-in-the-wool blue spot either. I assure you, the Scottish nationalists are making themselves very unpopular. No major party would be able to go into next year's election after a yes vote without promising to play it tough with Scotland over divorce negotiations. They would be lucky to come third if they didn't. While I agree business, especially in the north of England, wouldn't be happy, there are times when even businesses have to bow to popular will.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Gaelic girl?

She asked an rather odd question wrt funding for the Gaelic language.

I suspect however TSE was more taken by her looks - she was a dove amongst crows imho.
    The fact she was a ginger has nothing to do with it.

Honest. As a speaker of several minority/ancient languages I'm in favour of support for those languages.
  • Options
    Mr. G, point of order: we'll only see if Yes wins.

Incidentally, if Yes does win and Osborne did u-turn on currency union, I would not vote Conservative at the next election, even if that meant Balls getting back in.

Mr. StClare, are you sure? It's hard to imagine Mr. Eagles being so shallow.
  • Options

Mr. G, point of order: we'll only see if Yes wins.

Incidentally, if Yes does win and Osborne did u-turn on currency union, I would not vote Conservative at the next election, even if that meant Balls getting back in.

Mr. StClare, are you sure? It's hard to imagine Mr. Eagles being so shallow.

"Meant Balls getting back in"

Fnarr.
  • Options
    @malcolmg‌, now you're contradicting yourself. You told me that there's no need for plan B as the unionists will fall into line. Then you tell @foxinsoxuk‌ that plan B is to ditch the pound and the debt if England play hardball. So which is it?

I have to say, although I'm no economist I'm sceptical about the latter route. What currency would it be, how established, would it be able to borrow money on international markets, would it be strong enough to stand behind RBS (bearing in mind it's still a wreck - and let's not forget, that happened on Alistair Darling's watch)? Those are the further ramifications and if they are being considered I'm very surprised there's been no leak of them. Also - would it be just the debt? Wouldn't all UK capital assets, e.g. warships and military installations, be forfeited under those circumstances (a share of which Salmond has stated he needs for Scotland)?

It's clearly being considered in Whitehall, because we get semi-regular and not always popular updates on it. But nothing so far from Edinburgh apart from the white paper, which isn't a feasible option and doesn't seem to be mentioned much by now.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Alex Salmonds politics similar to say Neil Kinnock ? He appears to be left of where Labour is now. Quite a lot of current SNP support must be from ex-Labour supporters who swtiched during the Blair era.

Noticed that Salmond was pretty much blaming England for voting the Tories in, as a reason for Scotland to become independnent. If most people in the UK want to maintain the union, there is an obvious solution.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2014
    According to Victoria ward Cllrs 3 days before deadline so far 8 confirmed runners have submitted CVs to stand in Labour Bootle selection
    http://crosbywaterloo.wordpress.com/2014/08/05/new-mp-for-bootle-constituency

Peter Dowd, Paul Edwards, Kevin Hickson, Matthew Doyle, Stephen Tudhope, Alex Flynn, Dave Landrum, Jacqueline Robinson.

Final deadline is August 8th.

Peter Dowd stars as early frontrunner given he's leader of Sefton Council
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

DavidL said:

For those of us not in Scotland what we probably learned last night is just how poor the opposition to Salmond and the SNP has been in the Scottish parliament. We were expecting a debating colossus, what we saw was a petty point-scorer with no mastery of detail. It was a huge surprise. If he really does dominate his political opponents in Scotland that tells us a lot about his political opponents. If Yes wins and Westminster ceases to be an option for ambitious Scottish politicians we should expect Salmond to disappear pretty swiftly on that performance.

Quite. The SNP have long been up against the various B teams from Labour, the Tories and Lib Dems - with the Coalition parties fishing in smallish internal pools to start with. As soon as he's come up against a genuine heavyweight, he's been found wanting.

And on that point, he's lost the referendum - or more accurately, he's lost the chance to win the referendum. The result was in the balance. If Darling has won the debate yesterday, what prompt can there be now to shift Noes to Yesses, or to split undecideds decisively in favour of Yes? The Debate was Yes's last best chance. They might still turn something up but it's increasingly difficult to see what or how.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

Despite all his faults, the Badger is the best bet for the Labour party at GE 2015. If he could be persuaded to take over from Ed Balls, I could see myself reverting back to Labour from LD. But that supposes he'd agree to work under the jumped-up tea-boy.

So could I ever vote for Labour under EdM? There are some plusses:-

(1) Yes, he's weird. But it may make him give give up PR photo-shoots and the ludicrous heart-to hearts he attempts.
    (2) He has no principles whatsoever and will always go for whatever gains electoral advantage. That means he'll look after old gits like me even when it's not in the national interest; he knows we vote in numbers.
    (3) In his softy-Walter guise, he will be ordered around by the big boys in the government, like that nasty bully, Darling. So he'll hopefully give up on green nonsense or receive a Chinese burn from the aforementioned Badger.

OK, there are a few assumptions but last night could be a triumph for the Labour party if played correctly.
  • Options

But Salmond was not good last night. Wasn't the car-crash that many are saying, he only really lost one part of the debate. But it was the manner in which he lost it. His answer to the plan B question was ok as a one-off answer, but as soon as he said the exact same thing when pressed, Darling smelt weakness and pressed and pressed. Nothing turns people off politics faster than a politician being evasive. Darling suffered the same problem with the "do you agree with Cameron" question, but it wasn't the killer blow it could have been due to the roasting he had just had.

My overriding feeling after the debate was one of a missed opportunity. There was a chance to show a real positive future for Scotland but instead it descended to politics as normal.

accurate summation , Darling was crap as expected and only surprise was Alex was not much better other than he came across as dignified and composed whereas Darling was shouting and finger pointing which always signifies a loser.
    He should have been able to deflect the currency question better, he only had to quote the 5 options available and stick to option 1.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

accurate summation , Darling was crap as expected and only surprise was Alex was not much better other than he came across as dignified and composed whereas Darling was shouting and finger pointing which always signifies a loser.
    He should have been able to deflect the currency question better, he only had to quote the 5 options available and stick to option 1.
    Oddly the public decided Salmond was the loser.
  • Options

Of course the Scots like to pretend that they already have their own currency and kid the natives accordingly by arranging to print their own bank notes.

What they always fail to mention is that this convenient cosmetic arrangement is under the licence and rigorous control of the Bank of England.

Is that the rigorous control that bankrupted the country then and has us £1.5 trillion in debt. Lets vote some more of that rigour please. What a turnip.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited August 2014

DavidL said:

Quite. The SNP have long been up against the various B teams from Labour, the Tories and Lib Dems - with the Coalition parties fishing in smallish internal pools to start with. As soon as he's come up against a genuine heavyweight, he's been found wanting.

And on that point, he's lost the referendum - or more accurately, he's lost the chance to win the referendum. The result was in the balance. If Darling has won the debate yesterday, what prompt can there be now to shift Noes to Yesses, or to split undecideds decisively in favour of Yes? The Debate was Yes's last best chance. They might still turn something up but it's increasingly difficult to see what or how.
    Agreed, those unchanged odds from Ladbrokes of 4.33 (or 10/3 in old money) for a 35% - 40% "Yes" vote look increasingly attractive this morning. DYOR
  • Options

malcolmg said:

not so sure on that , not what I am hearing on Radio Scotland. Also they said this morning that the poll taken afterwards was higher for YES and 2:1 don't knows to YES. Was that incorrect.
    Public in England may have thought otherwise.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    edited August 2014

Not good for the Blues.

It shows that most of what we see is probably measurement noise.

I think that's right. This poll has a sudden surge of people concerned most about health, which is usually a sign of a pro-Labour sample unless there's been some major health story. It also shows a chunky SNP 5-point lead in the Scottish subsample, to cheer up any Nats who may be feeling a bit frustrated today (but you know what subsamples are like...).

By the way, people are being a bit dismissive about the quality of the debate, but it was still miles better than the 10-second soundbites that we're used to as our political diet on TV. Both speakers were civil and focused largely on serious issues. Wish we had more debates...

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Watching the Sri Lanka / Pakistan test.

Misbah - Ul - Hak currently scoring at the rate of 2.63 per 100 balls. Making Sir Geoffrey look like Botham
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

not so sure on that , not what I am hearing on Radio Scotland. Also they said this morning that the poll taken afterwards was higher for YES and 2:1 don't knows to YES. Was that incorrect.
    But last night's TV debate wasn't generally available in England - not very bright are you?
  • Options
    10 runs from last 10 overs

Fascinating.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The ICM poll was exclusively made up of Scottish voters.

I've not been through the data tables yet but

the sample who participated after the debate, views did not move – 53% said they intended to vote No beforehand, and the same figures emerged afterwards. So Darling won on the night, but voters remain steadfast in the way they plan to vote.

• Options
    @bigjohnowls‌ even Chris Tavaré would probably have scored a bit quicker than that!
  • Options
    @bigjohnowls‌ I take it back, Misbah's hit a four.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@bigjohnowls‌ I take it back, Misbah's hit a four.

Cracking shot?

Cannot believe i just missed it making a coffee just seen the next 4 dot balls though.
  • Options
    I am on Pakistan to score 285 or more.

If Misbah stays there could be on to a winner by Friday
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Nothing like devouring a pair of kippers in the morning ....

So to business ....

The scale of the defeat for YES is difficult to over-estimate. It considerably outweighs the margin of Darling's ICM win.

YES has since the autumn been ticking off defining events that would swing the campaign their way. Each has come and gone with little change to the overall pattern of a heavy loss for YES.

Last night we saw YES fluff their last best chance. The great debater Salmond was bested by Darling and skewered on the currency issue.

Who'd have thought but it's Salmond who desperately needs a re-match whilst Darling may bask in his new found status as the most passionate pair of eye brows in Scotland.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    The paucity of credible Scottish polling makes it uncertain whether we will ever find out if the debate actually moved votes. I suspect it moved relatively few but both participants seemed more interested in the supporters they already have. This makes a lot more sense for Darling than it does for Salmond.

The tactic of throwing random quotes from random people at Darling was frankly bizarre. Surely the SNP would have had practices before the debate. How on earth did they ever think that that was going to work? The repeated reference to a document which not even 1 in a 1000 Scots have seen which supposedly had "the answers" was equally so. Darling's challenge to actually name plan B should have had a planned and credible response. It didn't and it turned into the key point of the night.

Salmond's best line was the argument that if Scotland is independent we will always get the government we vote for. This is essentially why Cameron was right not to debate him. As a debater Cameron would run rings around Salmond but that question is a killer. He was of course dishonest about it. He claimed that a majority of Scots voted for himself. That is not true even amongst those that voted.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The ICM poll was exclusively made up of Scottish voters.

I've not been through the data tables yet but

the sample who participated after the debate, views did not move – 53% said they intended to vote No beforehand, and the same figures emerged afterwards. So Darling won on the night, but voters remain steadfast in the way they plan to vote.

And the undecided remained undecided, even if they thought Salmond had won. So clearly he did not persuade them enough for them to move into the Yes camp. Given Yes is behind that's not good news.

• Options

Alex Salmond = Hannibal

Or for the fitba fans

Alex Salmond = Scotland

Ali Darling = Peru

Eck = Bonnie Prince Charlie

Darling = Robert the Bruce

Eck = Scotland WC 1990

Darling = Costa Rica 1990 (dribbled a long telegraphed toe poke past a previously rated Aberdonian)

• Options
    @bigjohnowls‌ sorry you missed it - but that's really quite classy, getting a coffee on the one good shot of the last however long it is! He did score a single in the next over though...

Anyway, I'm off. Have a good morning everyone.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    CD13 said:

Despite all his faults, the Badger is the best bet for the Labour party at GE 2015. If he could be persuaded to take over from Ed Balls, I could see myself reverting back to Labour from LD. But that supposes he'd agree to work under the jumped-up tea-boy.

So could I ever vote for Labour under EdM? There are some plusses:-

(1) Yes, he's weird. But it may make him give give up PR photo-shoots and the ludicrous heart-to hearts he attempts.
    (2) He has no principles whatsoever and will always go for whatever gains electoral advantage. That means he'll look after old gits like me even when it's not in the national interest; he knows we vote in numbers.
    (3) In his softy-Walter guise, he will be ordered around by the big boys in the government, like that nasty bully, Darling. So he'll hopefully give up on green nonsense or receive a Chinese burn from the aforementioned Badger.

OK, there are a few assumptions but last night could be a triumph for the Labour party if played correctly.

From what you've written above #CD it looks like you yourself haven't a single scruple left. But thats what I expect from self indulgent lefties.
  • Options
    I am off to see The Purge cant see Michael Goves name in the credits so might be about something else
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

But last night's TV debate wasn't generally available in England - not very bright are you?
    Certainly a lot brighter than you for sure. It was available anywhere if you had enough brain cells. Given the pontificating on here by people almost exclusively in England it appears I insulted turnips when I compared you to one.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Nothing like devouring a pair of kippers in the morning ....

So to business ....

The scale of the defeat for YES is difficult to over-estimate. It considerably outweighs the margin of Darling's ICM win.

YES has since the autumn been ticking off defining events that would swing the campaign their way. Each has come and gone with little change to the overall pattern of a heavy loss for YES.

Last night we saw YES fluff their last best chance. The great debater Salmond was bested by Darling and skewered on the currency issue.

Who'd have thought but it's Salmond who desperately needs a re-match whilst Darling may bask in his new found status as the most passionate pair of eye brows in Scotland.

Emissions from an ARSE and as predictable as ever.
  • Options
    43 days left until the referendum - not long - stay strong..
This discussion has been closed.