Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember when the Tories “won” England at GE2005: Ahead on

124»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Ishmael_X said:

Hmmm

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 5m
    Clegg calls for arms licences for Israel to be suspended. Does the government still have a collective foreign policy?

John McTernan ‏@johnmcternan 3m
    .@georgeeaton No. The Coalition is now over.

Tim Montgomerie @TimMontgomerie · 2m
    Are the Lib Dems ready to bring the government down if Cameron and Hammond won't suspend arms licences to Israel? This seems big.

Golly, brave to torpedo the coalition with his ratings where they are.

And patent political positioning.

I'd say there's nothing he could do to make the LD rating worse, therefore doing anything different would surely make them better, but the LDs have proved they have a lower floor to descend to than most of us thought possible, so perhaps not.

As to the second point, it seems that way.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

Blimey, I have managed to get STV on Sky. Thanks to TSE for instructions earlier.

I'm still having trouble with STV Player, it says "Segment loading security violation. Video playback not possible". Same when I use other browsers

Ominous...
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Danny565 said:

Hmmm

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 5m
    Clegg calls for arms licences for Israel to be suspended. Does the government still have a collective foreign policy?

John McTernan ‏@johnmcternan 3m
    .@georgeeaton No. The Coalition is now over.

Tim Montgomerie @TimMontgomerie · 2m
    Are the Lib Dems ready to bring the government down if Cameron and Hammond won't suspend arms licences to Israel? This seems big.

Again, these things the Lib Dems always do to try to "differentiate" themselves from the Conservatives only make their problems worse. It's ALWAYS going to lead to the question of: if you disagree with the Tories so much, why are you still in government with them? They can go on all they want about being "mature" and "acting in the national interest", but as far as the public sees it, they're just being unprincipled and thinking getting their snouts in the trough of "power" is more important than anything else.
    At least dissolving the government doesn't fall foul of the "why are you still in government with them?" point (which has, in my opinion, a fair amount of truth to it). Frankly it wouldn't be the most pathetic thing to dissolve the government over; it isn't a Westminster-bubble issue. However I would be surprised if even it could trump whatever plan the LibDems had laid - unless now was the ending anyway.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Plus: I'm doing the debate/Ipsos-Mori thread this evening.

Thank God I am also boozing tonight! The hangover tomorrow will be worth it ;)
    So if I post this evening, I've backed Ireland to win next year's rugby world cup.....
    You'd be wasting your money!

Currently we're giving the All Blacks a good match in the women's world cup though.
    Women's rugby just isn't right or natural
    Why aren't boys allowed to play netball :)
    Netball is so freaking boring it should be classified as torture to be made to play and / or watch it.

But Test Cricket is the most boring sport in the entire world, clearly invented by people with FAR too much time on their hands.

And golf.
    Nosense. Test Cricket is the best game in the world bar none
    I'm a proper football nut, been going to Chelsea since 1963 and played myself to a decent standard. I still like the drama of the Premier League but as I've got older I find I can't stand the ludicrous amounts of money washing around at the top level.

Whereas these days I can watch a Test match from the first ball to the last, I love it.
    Test cricket knows what it's aiming for. Netball, on the other hand...
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Cyclefree writes good stuff here in PB. Except those with a soecial interest in Israel are totally blind about Israel's conduct. Israel can bomb Gaza until every human is dead and yet they will find some excuse to justify it.

I hear ad nauseum about Hamas' "terrorist" link. I have only one question.

When Menachem Begin and the Irgun blew up the King David Hotel in Jerusalem and killed 108 British soldiers. Was that an act of terrorism ?

surbiton said:

Cyclefree writes good stuff here in PB. Except those with a soecial interest in Israel are totally blind about Israel's conduct. Israel can bomb Gaza until every human is dead and yet they will find some excuse to justify it.

When Menachem Begin and the Irgun blew up the King David Hotel in Jerusalem and killed 108 British soldiers. Was that an act of terrorism ?

Of the dead (91) in the King David hotel, many were arabs and jews. 28 were British, 13 of them soldiers.
    Many British troops were killed in other attacks of course.
    The Stern Gang were terrorists and various members were hanged, Stern himself was shot by the British in1942.
    Irgun 'declared war' in 1946.
    So yes they were terrorists and at one time the British swept 20,000 troops through Tel Aviv with orders to shoot curfew breakers on sight.
    The terrorists were condemned in the USA and both British and US Jewish authorities condemned the terrorism, as did the UN security council.
    The soviets were helping the Jewish terrorists at this time.

I was taught 2 wrongs do not make a right.
    One of those in the act became an Israeli Prime Minister.
    And Mandela became President of S. Africa - your point is????
    Nelson Mandela was a great man and Menachen Begin was a fucking terrorist !
    They were both terrorists when younger, politicians/statesmen later in life. I am not sure why that should be considered controversial.

• Options
    Watching STV now. Almost all the ads come with English accents - only ScottishSPCA and Blair Drummond Safari Park with Scottish accents. That would really grate with me after a bit if I were a Scot. I wonder if that will change after independence.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Will the Scottish debate be streamed on the BBC website or something?
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Plus: I'm doing the debate/Ipsos-Mori thread this evening.

So if I post this evening, I've backed Ireland to win next year's rugby world cup.....

Currently we're giving the All Blacks a good match in the women's world cup though.
    Netball is so freaking boring it should be classified as torture to be made to play and / or watch it.

But Test Cricket is the most boring sport in the entire world, clearly invented by people with FAR too much time on their hands.

And golf.
    I'm a proper football nut, been going to Chelsea since 1963 and played myself to a decent standard. I still like the drama of the Premier League but as I've got older I find I can't stand the ludicrous amounts of money washing around at the top level.

Whereas these days I can watch a Test match from the first ball to the last, I love it.
    I've gotten into Twenty20 quite a bit, given with the IPL you get dozens of matches on the free ITV4 and I can actually find the time to watch the things, but Test Cricket will always be my preferred form. Even if I cannot watch the whole of a match, I can still read every part of it on Cricinfo and the BBC. Love it.
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Can only speak for myself, but I don't understand why any Englishman is bothered one way or the other whether Scotland stay or goes.

any such pride and enhancement, but it surely is not hard to see why others might feel that way.
    Not knocking anyone, just can't see a reason to get personally fussed about it (as a southern Englishman)
    It's fair enough that you don't personally see any fuss - from my point of view as an firm supporter of the Union (also from southern England) it is unfortunate and worrying, but there are a great many who feel the same way - it's just that it should not be baffling, even if someone does not share the sentiment of those such as myself.

• Options
    RobD said:

Blimey, I have managed to get STV on Sky. Thanks to TSE for instructions earlier.

I'm still having trouble with STV Player, it says "Segment loading security violation. Video playback not possible". Same when I use other browsers

Ominous...
    Are you outside the UK?
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    STV Player working for me on iPad OK
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    edited August 2014
    A US general was killed in Afghanistan today, according to an El Pais report I've just read. If true, he is the highest ranked American soldier to have died on active service since 2001.
  • Options

RobD said:

Ominous...
    Are you outside the UK?
    Yep, but they said it would be available worldwide. I suppose they may flip on a switch at 8pm, alternatively I could use a proxy.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Ominous...
    Are you outside the UK?
    Yep, but they said it would be available worldwide. I suppose they may flip on a switch at 8pm, alternatively I could use a proxy.
    They won't flip a switch until 7:55ish
  • Options

I'm not sure you'll be thanking me after the debate.
  • Options

It is now the ONLY channel you can get on Sky ;-)
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Ominous...
    Are you outside the UK?
    They won't flip a switch until 7:55ish
    That's my thinking too, probably some legal issues that prevent them doing it any earlier.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

And golf.

I've gotten into Twenty20 quite a bit, given with the IPL you get dozens of matches on the free ITV4 and I can actually find the time to watch the things, but Test Cricket will always be my preferred form. Even if I cannot watch the whole of a match, I can still read every part of it on Cricinfo and the BBC. Love it.
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Can only speak for myself, but I don't understand why any Englishman is bothered one way or the other whether Scotland stay or goes.

any such pride and enhancement, but it surely is not hard to see why others might feel that way.
    Not knocking anyone, just can't see a reason to get personally fussed about it (as a southern Englishman)
    It's fair enough that you don't personally see any fuss - from my point of view as an firm supporter of the Union (also from southern England) it is unfortunate and worrying, but there are a great many who feel the same way - it's just that it should not be baffling, even if someone does not share the sentiment of those such as myself.

Cricinfo is my favourite site, and T20 is brilliant for trading on the exchanges. The Sky coverage of the Tests is superb and they seem to have garnered the old Test Match Special bonhomie in the commentary box.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Of the dead (91) in the King David hotel, many were arabs and jews. 28 were British, 13 of them soldiers.
    The Stern Gang were terrorists and various members were hanged, Stern himself was shot by the British in1942.
    So yes they were terrorists and at one time the British swept 20,000 troops through Tel Aviv with orders to shoot curfew breakers on sight.
    The terrorists were condemned in the USA and both British and US Jewish authorities condemned the terrorism, as did the UN security council.

They were both terrorists when younger, politicians/statesmen later in life. I am not sure why that should be considered controversial.

There are examples closer to home: Martin McGuinness, for instance.

• Options

My wife is cursing you now!!

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Is it possible to watch the debate online?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Is it possible to watch the debate online?

I now seem to be getting a signal on the STV website
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    o/t: Suggest everyone batten down the hatches, looks like an interesting weather situation coming very soon. Live feed: http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-27.50,50.32,334
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Um. Can someone repeat TSE's instrux for finding STV on Sky?

For those with sky boxes but aren't in Scotland, you can watch the debate via this little trick

For those with sky but not living in Scotland, you can add STV to your sky box and watch the debate live

1) Press services on your sky box

2) Scroll down to 'Add channels' (Another menu will appear displaying Frequency, Polarization, Symbol Rate and FEC)

3) Change the frequency to 10906

4) Change the Polarization to "V"

5) Change the Symbol Rate to 22.0

6)Change the FEC number to 5/6

7)Select ''Find channels'' at the bottom of the menu

8)You will now see a list of available channels including STV. Simply highlight STV and press the yellow button. A tick will now appear next to STV. Press "Select" again to store STV.

9)Press "Back Up" several times to come out of all the menus until you get your Sky picture again. ( DON'T PRESS TV)

10)Whenever you wish to watch STV in the future simply press "Services" on your remote control which will bring up the menu. Select "Other Channels" and you will then be able to highlight STV and press "Select" to watch.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Was Warsi talking about Sajid Javid ? I doubt it personally.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

o/t: Suggest everyone batten down the hatches, looks like an interesting weather situation coming very soon. Live feed: http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-27.50,50.32,334

That website is very cool!
  • Options
    For the first time ever, I'm watching Emmerdale.
  • Options
    If you followed all those rules, with all those different drinks, you'd be very sick very quickly!
  • Options

Fun from the Grauniad:

Scottish independence referendum debate: the drinking game!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2014/aug/04/scottish-independence-referendum-debate-drinking-game

This one could lead to some funny moments:

"Deliberately fails to mention Gordon Brown by name during a question about Gordon Brown".
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

SeanT said:

For those with sky boxes but aren't in Scotland, you can watch the debate via this little trick

For those with sky but not living in Scotland, you can add STV to your sky box and watch the debate live

2) Scroll down to 'Add channels' (Another menu will appear displaying Frequency, Polarization, Symbol Rate and FEC)

8)You will now see a list of available channels including STV. Simply highlight STV and press the yellow button. A tick will now appear next to STV. Press "Select" again to store STV.

9)Press "Back Up" several times to come out of all the menus until you get your Sky picture again. ( DON'T PRESS TV)

10)Whenever you wish to watch STV in the future simply press "Services" on your remote control which will bring up the menu. Select "Other Channels" and you will then be able to highlight STV and press "Select" to watch.
    It would have been so simple if there was a unified media market in the UK.
  • Options

A US general was killed in Afghanistan today, according to an El Pais report I've just read. If true, he is the highest ranked American soldier to have died on active service since 2001.

Since Vietnam.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Me too. How bad are British soaps. Jesus.
    Best soap ever was Sunset Beach
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

It is, nonetheless, fairly stupid and outrageous that everyone else in the UK can't easily watch a debate of such importance to the UK.

Shameful. Whoever is to blame. Shameful.

Anyone can watch it here...

http://player.stv.tv/live/

• Options
    SeanT said:

Me too. How bad are British soaps. Jesus.
    Should make the debate a positive viewing experience no matter its content I should think.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118

Has ANYONE any confidence that a democratic and stable Afghanistan will exist in the near future?
  • Options

Has ANYONE any confidence that a democratic and stable Afghanistan will exist in the near future?
    No.
  • Options

No
  • Options
    Gave up on waiting, and connected through a proxy instead.. streaming okay now.
  • Options

SeanT said:

It is, nonetheless, fairly stupid and outrageous that everyone else in the UK can't easily watch a debate of such importance to the UK.

I'm just getting an STV logo with this.
  • Options

There simply being an Afghanistan at all seems like the most likely positive outcome, and that really ain't saying much.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

ROFL - you really didn't know that Mandela was a terrorist in his youth did you:))
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

I'm just getting an STV logo with this.
    Seems to have died.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,564
    Anyone got this STV player to work? Nothing happening for me.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,844
    Yes Scotland tells supporters what to tweet during TV debate

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11013994/Yes-Scotland-tells-supporters-what-to-tweet-during-TV-debate.html

Its a victory for Eck!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    TSE - followed all your steps up to and including 8).

Got a tick against STV.

When press Back-up I just return to BBC1.

Go into Other Channels and it isn't there.
  • Options

It was working for me during Emmerdale, not now. Overloaded?
  • Options
    No 54% Yes 40% in latest poll
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

No.The figures on opium production tell the story.

http://www.dw.de/unprecedented-increase-in-opium-production/a-17428227

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    kle4 said:

It's crashed. Ffs.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Got a tick against STV.

Did you.... Press "Select" again to store STV.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited August 2014
    Amateur hour on STV as usual.
  • Options
    Can't load it here either, why weren't BBC allowed to show this?!
  • Options
    Oh brilliant. Failing STV player is a fantastic advert for an indie Scotland....
  • Options
    Carola said:

kle4 said:

It's crashed. Ffs.
    Can we at least see it on youtube after the debate is finished?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    OKC Afghans turned out in vast numbers to elect their new president, it was never going to be stable, aim was to remove Taliban from power and get rid of Bin Laden, both achieved
  • Options

MikeL said:

Got a tick against STV.

Did you.... Press "Select" again to store STV.
    Yes I did.
  • Options
    felix said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

ROFL - you really didn't know that Mandela was a terrorist in his youth did you:))
    Who decided he was a terrorist ? Vorster or Thatcher ?

He was a great freedom fighter.
  • Options
    STV does not seem to be working for me either, though kudos to it for opening to a global audience tonight beyond those with a Scottish postcode
  • Options
    5 live not covering it either, ridiculous when it covered the US debates, we do not need another night of footy discussion off season instead, even in mainstream BBC channels not covering
  • Options
    How can it be overloaded? How many politico anoraks are there south of the border who could be bothered enough to try their iplayer?
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Rexel56 said:

STV Player working for me on iPad OK

Oh no it isn't!
  • Options
    Try again. Working now.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

OMG - Thatcher - are you for real? you're just embarrasing yourself now.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Well, still waiting.

STV @WeAreSTV · 4m
    For those having problems with the STV Player at the moment we are aware of this and are working hard to fix it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Hoping that Salmond puts in a blinder. More and more I'm finding myself in favour of Scottish independence.
  • Options
    Food banks !
  • Options

SeanT said:

Are you kidding?

Yes, I'm interested, but I'm sure as hell not that interested!
  • Options

Try again. Working now.

Still not for me. It flashes up with "video available" but then I just get a standstill STV Player logo.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

For those not able to see it, Salmond just hit Darling with a tartan dildo.

Liar. That was a Thermos.
  • Options
    I have ticked STV and highlighted it and pressed select and then pressed select again when instructed and it simply does not work.

Utterly useless.
  • Options
    Darling: Vote for no is not a vote for no change.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Okay. Can anyone touch type? What's going on? The twitter # is mainly folk moaning they can't see it.

'Want to watch independence debate in England?Broken STV player? Download iphone app TvCatchup, set to "Glasgow" ITV region and it works....' @samcoatestimes
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043
    surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

I think it was the great Scotsman Bobby Gillespie that said

"One mans freedom fighter is another's terrorist"
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Salmond's opening statement about food-banks, weapons of mass destruction and those nasty people ruling us from Westminster.... - Darling gets a very lack luster applause after his.
  • Options
    Q1. Polls give lead to No. Can't all be wrong?
  • Options
    I put my Freesat box through its Initial Intallation procedure using the Glaswegian postcode of G2 4PP. This reconfigured my program listing to include STV. I suspect the same procedure will work for Freeview boxes. Certainly worth trying!
  • Options
    Salmond: we'll win hearts and mind.

Darling: polls haven't drifted since 2012.
  • Options
    For those not working, trying refreshing browser and try again.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

felix said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

See http://www.anc.org.za/show.php?id=3430

Mandela himself admitted that he planned violence. His greatness was not that he was not a terrorist. He was. But that he had the greatness of character to transcend that and offer the hand of friendship to those who had cruelly oppressed him and his people.

I do not think that McGuinness is yet in the same league. But he too has learnt to move onto the democratic stage and reach out to unionists.

The leaders of Hamas have not done that. They still openly and unapologetically say that they want to kill every Jew and blame the Jews for everything from the French Revolution onwards and cite the Protocol of the Elders of Zion, the Tsarist invention created to justify pogroms, as "evidence".

(BTW this is not Zionish propaganda as some have - rather intemperately - previously stated but what their own Charter says.)

If they were to forswear their desire to kill all Jews then we might start getting somewhere in the Middle East.

This discussion has been closed.