Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP soar 4 points in this week’s Ashcroft national poll

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited August 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP soar 4 points in this week’s Ashcroft national poll

After a period in which UKIP has been edging down across the polls there’ll be some relief at Farage Towers that today’s Lord Ashcroft poll has them at 18% – up 4 on a week ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

First?

Looks that way :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sorry Lord A, but the electorate is not bouncing around massively from one week to the next as your polls would ave us believe. Still needs some tuning on the engine powering this weekly polling....
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Certainly looks bouncy.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Now can anyone point to anything that UKIP has said or done over the last week that might have caused this rise in popularity?

Anything at all?

Has Farage said or done anything to get national media attention?

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,335
    edited August 2014
    Are the PB Tories still going on about @Wreathgate?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    UKIP will get MPs if they have 18%. The Electoral Calculus calculator is not taking into account their local strength in the east of England enough.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I've added the seat projection from Electoral Calculus
  • Options
    There ain't that much bouncing around - you lot don't look at the bloody tables enough.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pulpstar said:

UKIP will get MPs if they have 18%. The Electoral Calculus calculator is not taking into account their local strength in the east of England enough.

I'm coming round to the view that Farage will probably win Thanet South even if UKIP are only on 10%.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited August 2014
    Anything at all?

Farage doesn't have to. Half the headlines in the tabloids seem to shout 'vote UKIP?'
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    Could be that more UKIPers take their holidays outside school holidays and are back by this time
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There ain't that much bouncing around - you lot don't look at the bloody tables enough.

And consider MoE on Ashcroft's lowish sample sizes etc...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited August 2014
    "As can be seen from the Electoral Calculus projection LAB’s 33% would give EdM a 34 seat majority. UKIP’s 18% = ZERO seats. "

If anyone wants to bet that if UKIP get 18% they will get zero seats, I will happily have four figures at Even money

if they get less than 18% BET VOID

*In fact I will be generous and make it if UKIP get 15%
  • Options
    I have an idea for a thread - will try and show my idea of what is actually happening with the seemingly disparate UKIP %s from the various pollsters.

The underlying picture is quite healthy for UKIP and more stable than it may appear.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    The first shots against a German ship may have been fired in Australia.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/fort-nepeans-sergeant-john-purdue-fired-first-shot-of-world-war-i-20140803-3d2aw.html

The first British casualties appear to have been members of the crew of HMS Amphion, who died when their ship hit a mine by the minelayer Konigin Luise on August 5th 1914.

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/flccaslt.htm
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    Pulpstar said:

I have an idea for a thread - will try and show my idea of what is actually happening with the seemingly disparate UKIP %s from the various pollsters.

The underlying picture is quite healthy for UKIP and more stable than it may appear.

Please, please do this - it would be a very useful (and interesting) counterpoint to the headline numbers that we have lots of. Not to be taken in isolation, but to aid understanding.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @dr_spyn

The last day of the war makes for interesting reading as well.

• Options
    Not posting anything partisan today just wanted to say a message of remembrance for those who fought and gave their lives for our freedom. We should never forget the sacrifices made.
  • Options
    UKIP weightings

I bet a lot on First Goalscorer... I look at 3 or 4 seasons form with a slight weighting towards the most recent/current

If a guy was playing as a second striker for the past three seasons and scoring 18% of his teams goals, but now was playing as a lone striker and had scored 40% of his teams goals this season it would be insane for me to use the 18% as a figure which he will regress to eventually, because the rules have changed.

That's why I think firms who base UKIPs current/future polling on 2010 results are wrong. They still have the 3% as meaning something.

That must also mean they overstate the other parties

Then again it could be me that is wrong
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @Lennon I'll give it a shot !

One thing that is self evident... is that the underlying population can't be both on 12% and 18% at the same time.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    @Philip_Thompson
    To late, it has already descended into the mire, and the sacrifices they made were forgotten by politicians almost immediately.
  • Options

Not posting anything partisan today just wanted to say a message of remembrance for those who fought and gave their lives for our freedom. We should never forget the sacrifices made.

From Mud, Through Blood, To The Green Fields Beyond
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Libs 8% = 36 seats, UKIP 18% = no seats. That simply doesn't make sense
  • Options
    Anyone else listen to the D-Day program on R5L. Have to say it was the first and only time I've been in tears due to a radio broadcast.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Apparently not. Why are you trying to start it up again?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

this guy is

http://damianpmcbride.tumblr.com/post/93781753719/hostages-rods-and-wreaths

"That brings us to today’s incident with the wreaths at the Cenotaph. If I had to take a wild guess, I’d suggest that whoever did the ‘advance’ for David Cameron - with the experience of many Remembrance Sundays in Whitehall - asked what was happening with the messages for the wreaths. Having been told he’d be provided with one saying ‘From the Prime Minister’ or shown what it looked like, I’m guessing they said: ‘Don’t worry, he’ll write a personal message; we’ll let you have it in the next hour’. Does that mean the PM is obsessed with image and photo ops? Not really, it just means he’s got a team around him doing their jobs.*"
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

BTW Sunil: I responded to you on the previous thread.

And I replied :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Libs won't be on 36 seats with 8% - not a chance. They have local strengths but not to THAT degree.
  • Options

if the parties do score those percentages of the vote, there is ZERO chance of those seat allocations.

Using that model to deal with UKIP vote share is as dated as wearing flares and having a mullet
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pulpstar said:

Lord Ashcroft's marginals give UKIP 2 seats.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

this guy is

"That brings us to today’s incident with the wreaths at the Cenotaph. If I had to take a wild guess, I’d suggest that whoever did the ‘advance’ for David Cameron - with the experience of many Remembrance Sundays in Whitehall - asked what was happening with the messages for the wreaths. Having been told he’d be provided with one saying ‘From the Prime Minister’ or shown what it looked like, I’m guessing they said: ‘Don’t worry, he’ll write a personal message; we’ll let you have it in the next hour’. Does that mean the PM is obsessed with image and photo ops? Not really, it just means he’s got a team around him doing their jobs.*"
    Have you called off our Dave PM referendum bet?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Lord Ashcroft's marginals give UKIP 2 seats.
    Thurrock drops for sure with UKIP @ 18%. Probably THanet South, though I'm unsure as to whether there will be anti-Farage tactical voting there.

A far greater chance than Camborne & Redruth - which though it might go certainly won't be UKIP's first seat...
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Ready to bet at evens or better..
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    His Lordship bestows his bounciness on everyone it would appear - apart from the LDs...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Hahaha but you said Dave=PM=referendum!?!?!?!?
  • Options

His Lordship bestows his bounciness on everyone it would appear - apart from the LDs...

They'll always have Eastleigh !
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited August 2014
    No more Ashcroft National polls until Monday 8 September.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    I don't believe it!
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Take it at evens or leave it. Willy waving impresses nobody.
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Ready to bet at evens - let me know when you are.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    MikeL said:

If he has any sense he will do a complete rethink and revamp the bounces are simply ludicrous .
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Even The Good Lord has to rest sometimes.

• Options

MikeL said:

If he has any sense he will do a complete rethink and revamp the bounces are simply ludicrous .
    I'd like to know which company is carrying out the field work on Lord Ashcroft's behalf.

• Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Why should I take evens when he agreed to 6/4?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Im not.. you agreed 6/4.. if you start being a bit more polite I might let you off.. but carry on and we are on at 6/4, and the previous thread is my proof
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Im not.. you agreed 6/4.. if you start being a bit more polite I might let you off.. but carry on and we are on at 6/4, and the previous thread is my proof
    Suggest we don't bore the thread with this - looks like the bet is off.

• Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Willy waving impresses nobody.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I think the ICM UKIP 9% was an outlier, but because it has coincided with some funky weighting from Populus that also put them on 9% at the time (In what were actually underlying decent polls for UKIP) the narrative on here changed to one of UKIP performing poorly when in fact there was one outlying fundamental poll from ICM, which was backed up by Populus' comedy weightings on their reasonable and in line fundamental figures.

If UKIP are still on 9% with ICM you can consider this analysis crap but I'd be surprised if they didn't "bounce" back to ~ 12% with ICM in their next poll.

• Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Willy waving impresses nobody.
    What on earth are you on about?

I suggested a bet at 6/4, TGOHF said "yer on £50?", and now is trying to say im on at Evens!

Who is willy waving?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Blasphemy! The Good Lord is "almighty"! Why would He need to "rest" like a mere mortal??
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @TGOHF

Mr. Ghost I know I have asked this before and if you replied then I apologise for missing it, but why the choice of Flashman at the Charge for your avatar and why that edition?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Youre a welcher with no faith in Dave you say?!!!

• Options

@TGOHF

Mr. Ghost I know I have asked this before and if you replied then I apologise for missing it, but why the choice of Flashman at the Charge for your avatar and why that edition?

I've had a selection over the years from Flash for Freedom to the Mountain of light - am just re-reading "at the charge" at the moment - no specific reason !
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Yay - have a dog biscuit.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Yay - have a dog biscuit.

If you didn't understand the bet, or don't fancy it, I will let you off, but don't try coming it, have some humility
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I'd like to know which company is carrying out the field work on Lord Ashcroft's behalf.

I thought it was Populus too? Might be wrong.

• Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Pathetic.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

What a sad argument. Can we not remember the the centenary of the most heinous mistake that Europe ever made in a quiet and sober manner?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Blasphemy! The Good Lord is "almighty"! Why would He need to "rest" like a mere mortal??
    Please see the book of Genesis. Maybe the Good Lord likes a day off, a couple of pints at lunchtime, then home for a nice Sunday Roast the same as the rest of of us (well not you, what with being teetotal and vegetarian, obviously). Why should need come into it?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    saddened said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Pathetic.
    Why get involved? I agreed a bet at 6/4 and he changed the odds to Evens.. why make me the villain? I'm being nice by letting him off
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Bickering over a bet is unseemly. Just go back and check the terms. If one side misunderstood then it's fair enough to amend or withdraw.

Of course, to avoid any unseemly bickering simply follow my exciting F1 tips [although of course this did lead to a loss last year].
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Glorious, Golden, Glittering UKIP on the rise!!!!!! He, he, sleepless nights for some.
  • Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Pathetic.
    Why get involved? I agreed a bet at 6/4 and he changed the odds to Evens.. why make me the villain? I'm being nice by letting him off
    Because you are being pathetic. Letting him off, who do you think you are, big Vern calling the boys off?
  • Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Pathetic.
    Because you are being pathetic. Letting him off, who do you think you are, big Vern calling the boys off?
    Hardly.. I wonder if you'd say the same if it was a non Tory wriggling out of a bet they misunderstood? Doubt it
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Please see the book of Genesis. Maybe the Good Lord likes a day off, a couple of pints at lunchtime, then home for a nice Sunday Roast the same as the rest of of us (well not you, what with being teetotal and vegetarian, obviously). Why should need come into it?
    Heretic!
  • Options

Bickering over a bet is unseemly. Just go back and check the terms. If one side misunderstood then it's fair enough to amend or withdraw.

Of course, to avoid any unseemly bickering simply follow my exciting F1 tips [although of course this did lead to a loss last year].

Nothing wrong with asking to clarify a bet before agreeing.

When you see Van Persie 10/1 first goalscorer you don't assume that is 1/10 - well not in most bookmakers anyway - apart from Sams. As this is now more boring than the how much tax Lord Goldsmith will pay after he dies (answer £0) bet I am out.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Have just visited my independent financial advisor, who is totally confident of a Tory victory in May 2015.

His advice hasn’t worked out very well this year, either! To be fair, for the first time!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    TGOHF said:

Nothing wrong with asking to clarify a bet before agreeing.

When you see Van Persie 10/1 first goalscorer you don't assume that is 1/10 - well not in most bookmakers anyway - apart from Sams. As this is now more boring than the how much tax Lord Goldsmith will pay after he dies (answer £0) bet I am out.
    I offered a bet and you said "Yer on.. £50"

How is it my fault???!

Anyway, the main thing that comes out of it all is your statement "Dave=PM=referendum" is nonsense and that's all I wanted to prove anyway
  • Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Pathetic.
    Hardly.. I wonder if you'd say the same if it was a non Tory wriggling out of a bet they misunderstood? Doubt it
    I couldn't give a monkeys which party he supports, you're being pathetic. That's enough anyway, I just hope you can let me off.
  • Options
    saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

saddened said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

this guy is

Pathetic.
    I couldn't give a monkeys which party he supports, you're being pathetic. That's enough anyway, I just hope you can let me off.
    Nothing to let off, you didn't agree to a bet then change your mind
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    O/T but a discussion arose here this afternoon. What difference would it have made to Britain the the BEF had been overrun in 1914, the Germans had got to Paris and France had surrendered?

I know all about the scare stories, but would, indeed could, the Germans in 1914-5 have launched an invasion of UK?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    The people of Scotland equally disrespectful!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

O/T but a discussion arose here this afternoon. What difference would it have made to Britain the the BEF had been overrun in 1914, the Germans had got to Paris and France had surrendered?

You mean like in 1870-1871?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Prussian_War
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:
    The people of Scotland equally disrespectful!
    Louise Mensch getting (rightly) slaughtered on Twitter.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    Professor Tomkins:

....... the Nationalists’ greatest deficiencies in the referendum campaign: so blinkered are they by the ferocity of their own nationalism that they cannot see that their opponents are not themselves nationalist in outlook. This is not “Scotnat v Britnat”, a battle of competing nationalisms. It is Nationalism v Unionism, a battle between those who say “a nation cannot fully exist until it is a state” and those who say “don’t be so daft”. The argument is not Scotland versus Britain — are you Scottish or British. The argument is Scotland separated from Britain or Scotland within a United Kingdom: Scotland alone or Scotland as part of a family of great British nations.

http://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/the-definitive-unionist/
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited August 2014
    Pulpstar said:
    Even as a bleeding-heart leftie, I always think the top-rated Daily Mail comments are a good litmus test. If even they agree with the "left-wing" side of the argument on something, then it really must be public opinion.

If this stupid story gets any widespread public attention at all (which I'm doubtful of), it might help Ed if anything. It reminds me of when the press started pathetically attacking Gordon Brown for writing to parents of dead soldiers in "messy" handwriting, which ended up backfiring and increasing sympathy for Brown because it was so obviously unfair.
  • Options

I know all about the scare stories, but would, indeed could, the Germans in 1914-5 have launched an invasion of UK?

I don't believe that there would have been an invasion, certainly the Germans had not planned nor were they equipped for such an operation. However, we do know what the German end game was - occupation of the channel ports, de-industrialisation of France, ethnic cleansing of the East of Belgium, and British trade excluded from Europe. The war would have had to continue, but at sea. How that would have turned out is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Portillo on BBC2 "Railways of the Great War"
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    The bigger picture is that another month has gone by and LAB is maintaining a lead

Swingback...crossover...inevitable innit, always happens, the fairies say so.

Tick tock...
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Tories excelling themselves today with Wreathgate.

If this is a foretaste of their Smear Ed election campaign strategy, Labour are laughing.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Well for once there was no Churchill as PM or Hitler as Fuhrer.
    Britain might have held on due to the Royal Navy and hoped that Russia would defeat Germany however the Russians would have been defeated even more easier than normal.
    So probably Britain would have negotiated peace by 1916 (due to the absence of fanatics on both sides).

France would have lost the rest of Lorraine, Morocco, their share of the suez canal and a slice of central africa to Germany, perhaps if Italy joined Germany after the french defeat they would get the rest of Savoy and Tunisia.
    Belgium would be split into Flanders and Wallonne, with Wallone given to Germany.
    Serbia would be partitioned between Austria and Bulgaria.
    Russia would have lost Poland and the baltics which would have become German satellites.

Britain would probably lose almost nothing as the only non defeated allied power.

But most importantly the empires of europe would still exist though reformed, as the SPD had control of the german parliament, Karl I would become emperor of Austria in 1916 and the Tsar would be forced by his generals to give power to the russian parliament.
    However defeat would lead France into another commune, Britain would still see a big hit on the liberals for losing the war (Lloyd George could have salvaged it) and fascism would never be invented as the war would be shorter and Mussolini would still be a socialist.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

A good question, but is it not the methodology which they use that is important?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Even as a bleeding-heart leftie, I always think the top-rated Daily Mail comments are a good litmus test. If even they agree with the "left-wing" side of the argument on something, then it really must be public opinion.

If this stupid story gets any widespread public attention at all (which I'm doubtful of), it might help Ed if anything. It reminds me of when the press started pathetically attacking Gordon Brown for writing to parents of dead soldiers in "messy" handwriting, which ended up backfiring and increasing sympathy for Brown because it was so obviously unfair.
    Louise Mensch is being a complete embarrasment on Twitter - the Conservatives have dodged a bullet tbh.
  • Options
    isam said:

Hopefully it will be on iPlayer!
  • Options
    @OldKingCole
    The Germans could never have invaded, HMS Audacious would have sent them scuttling back to port. ;-)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

I don't believe that there would have been an invasion, certainly the Germans had not planned nor were they equipped for such an operation. However, we do know what the German end game was - occupation of the channel ports, de-industrialisation of France, ethnic cleansing of the East of Belgium, and British trade excluded from Europe. The war would have had to continue, but at sea. How that would have turned out is anyone's guess.
    much like 1802-1814 I should think.

Continental bully pisses off all it's neighbours, can't actually run an empre and finds the costs are greater than the benefits, hasn't got naval superiority so can't dictate trade and goes to war with a rejuvenated Russia again only this time it loses.

Plus ca change.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@OldKingCole
    The Germans could never have invaded, HMS Audacious would have sent them scuttling back to port. ;-)

You mean the Audacious sunk by a mine in October?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Audacious_(1912)
  • Options
    @Sunil_Prasannan
    Shhhh Sunil, that was a secret!
    Well at least to the British public, the rest of the world knew.
    Remember, careless talk costs political careers.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Britain might have held on due to the Royal Navy and hoped that Russia would defeat Germany however the Russians would have been defeated even more easier than normal.
    So probably Britain would have negotiated peace by 1916 (due to the absence of fanatics on both sides).

France would have lost the rest of Lorraine, Morocco, their share of the suez canal and a slice of central africa to Germany, perhaps if Italy joined Germany after the french defeat they would get the rest of Savoy and Tunisia.
    Belgium would be split into Flanders and Wallonne, with Wallone given to Germany.
    Russia would have lost Poland and the baltics which would have become German satellites.

Britain would probably lose almost nothing as the only non defeated allied power.

But most importantly the empires of europe would still exist though reformed, as the SPD had control of the german parliament, Karl I would become emperor of Austria in 1916 and the Tsar would be forced by his generals to give power to the russian parliament.
    However defeat would lead France into another commune, Britain would still see a big hit on the liberals for losing the war (Lloyd George could have salvaged it) and fascism would never be invented as the war would be shorter and Mussolini would still be a socialist.
    agree with a lot of that but you missed the biggy, no Soviet Communism so humanity would maybe have another 200 million citizens, mostly in Europe.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

if the parties do score those percentages of the vote, there is ZERO chance of those seat allocations.

Using that model to deal with UKIP vote share is as dated as wearing flares and having a mullet
    Only a fruitcake would wear flares and a mullet. Flares go with long hair, but it would be tight jeans or even spandex to go with the classic mullet!

• Options

Speedy said:

agree with a lot of that but you missed the biggy, no Soviet Communism so humanity would maybe have another 200 million citizens, mostly in Europe.
    On the previous thread, I wrote:

No WW1, no Versailles Treaty, no Bolshevik Revolution, no Communism, no Naziism, no Holocaust, no ongoing Arab-Israeli conflict, no ongoing Russo-Ukrainian conflict.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    Evening all :)

Ah, counterfactual history, an area on which anyone can opine with but a smattering of knowledge.

Had the Central Powers prevailed as early as the autumn of 1914 - in other words, IF Schlieffen had gone as believed and hadn't been compromised by the withdrawal of key troops to the east to beat back a half-hearted Russian invasion of East Prussia (the heartland in every sense of pre-1945 Germany) which was itself caused by a faster Russian mobilisation than the Germans had envisaged...

Yes, we'd have seen German economic control established over Belgium, Holland and much of Continental Europe (no change there some might say). MIlitarily, where would a defeated France have gone - into isolationism or rabid nationalism ? I expect there'd be a ton of recriminations hurled at Britain and that would be that for the Entente.

The British aren't used to losing wars and a surrender/armistice would be tantamoutnt to the biggest miltary disaster since Cornwallis suurendered at Yorktown but as others have said, the Empire itself would have been largely spared. I suspect in the ATL 1920s there might have been a rapprochement between Berlin and London based on the common aims of keeping a vengeful France and an unstable Russia in check.

As to whether Karl I could have kept the nationalist tensions under control indefinitely, history suggests not and the long-term internal cohesion of Austria-Hungary without fundamental reform seems dubious at best.

The key question is whether the autarchies could survive indefinitely - again, history suggests not. Even if the Kaiser remains on the throne in the ATL until 1940, his more reformist son might have tried to ride the reformist tiger but that rarely ends well either and one might imagine Berlin as a battlefield in 1945 with German fighting German rather than German fighting Russian. Without the fear of Bolshevism, liberal-reformist politics will be the shape of the future but as to whether Imperial Germany could transform without much bloodshed (as in 1989) or in the fire of Revolition and chaos, that's a tough one.
  • Options

isam said:

Hopefully it will be on iPlayer!
    We are spending a little to much time on past wars and not present ones.
    For instance I keep a daily record of maps and loses in the Russian-Ukranian war.
    I expected the russians to be defeated by August 1st, I was wrong but not by very as the ukranians have cutoff Donetsk and any day now they will capture it.
    Luhansk was cutoff too but the russians broke the siege yesterday.
    The russians continue to be outnumbered by 10 to1, outmaneuvered and having catastrophic losses for 2 months now.
    I estimate that 1/7th of the ukrainian airforce and about 3% of ukrainian ground forces have been destroyed vs 4% of the russian ground forces.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke
    Or? They fail to conquer Russia, the uprising still takes place, and the Russians make socialism work without falling into dictatorship?
    Who knows?
  • Options

isam said:

Only a fruitcake would wear flares and a mullet. Flares go with long hair, but it would be tight jeans or even spandex to go with the classic mullet!

You're right, apologies
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    FPT

@Tim_B - San Francisco, just landed :)
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke
    Or? They fail to conquer Russia, the uprising still takes place, and the Russians make socialism work without falling into dictatorship?
    Who knows?

I doubt they could make socialism work, even the french haven't managed that.
This discussion has been closed.