Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2015 seat split based on the latest PaddyPower line b

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The GE2015 seat split based on the latest PaddyPower line betting

What’s showing here are the buy levels for the three main parties on PaddyPower and as can be seen neither CON nor LAB would have a majority and would probably try to cobble together some deal to see themselves through.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Scottish MPs still there then. ;-)
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    That would make Cameron a "squattor in number 10". I doubt the Mail and the Sun would say that this time around, though...
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

That would make Cameron a "squattor in number 10". I doubt the Mail and the Sun would say that this time around, though...

Not really. Labour would have failed to get a majority too. And the LibDems are oh so big on the PR thingy that Labour losing the popular vote would be a factor - as OGH points out. I suspect such an arrangement wouldn't last 5 years though even with the fixed terms law.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited July 2014
    Oliver_PB said:

Well if Cameron won the popular vote, the Brown squatting analogy wouldn't be appropriate this time.

Brown was behind on both seats and votes.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Interesting. Sort of where I think the next GE will end up.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    FPT (after all my hard work)

shadsy said:
    Maths question: What should the true price be for there to be a dead heat in any one of the 650 constituencies at the general election?
    I've tried to make an estimate and was surprised at the answer.

Exclude the safe seats, i.e. any where you expect a majority of >3000. For those where a maj <3000 is expected the chances of a dead heat assuming a 2 way contest would be about 1 in 1500. (If you expect a majority of <3000 party A could get any one of 6000 results. The chances of party B matching that exactly are 1 in 6000 but that ignores the fact that if A tends to an extreme that tends to push B away to the other extreme. So we focus on the bit in the middle.) So 1 in 1500 x [number of non safe constituencies].
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited July 2014
    The popular vote is completely meaningless in a FPTP system.

I thought the Tories were strongly against turning "losers into winners".
  • Options

An intriguing feature of such an outcome is that Cameron could sit tight and wouldn’t have to leave Downing Street. It would be only if/when LAB put together some sort of arrangements that would take them over the 325 seat mark that Dave would have to go to the Palace.

I'm not sure about that Mike.

If Dave has a Queen's Speech voted down, then Dave might have to visit the palace before Labour have put together arrangements that would put them over 325 seats
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    FPT: Odds on a dead heat in any seat -

Shorter than one might at first think.

True odds perhaps 20-1, if I was a bookie perhaps offer 16s on it...
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    FPT - Shadsy asked about chance of a dead heat in any constituency. I estimate about 5% chance. Very basic and estimated calculation is that there are only 50 constituencies which could be close, and each of them has about a 1/1000 chance of being a dead heat (defining close as within 1000 votes) (by comparison at the last election there were 41 seats with a majority of less than 1000). Taking each of the 50 constituencies as independent and assuming uniform chance along the 1000 vote spectrum gives me 0.999 ^ 50 = 0.9512 so 5% chance of it actually happening.

Obviously in reality with such a close result you would have multiple recounts etc. and potentially election petitions etc.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    FPT:

It is interesting that a combination of high employment and low wage growth isn't being reflected in government popularity... Maybe future governments will be tempted to do the opposite: encourage high wage growth even if that's at the expense of high unemployment... After all, the Tories won in 83 and 92 coming out of recessions with high unemployment...

On the question of low wage growth, this is partly the result of Gordon Brown's strategic genius... The changes to single parent and disability benefits pushed through by Brown has increased the supply of labour and is suppressing wages (plus the level of immigration too, of course)... Add in the minimum wage acting as a signal to employers what to pay unskilled workers..

So, genius by Brown to act 10 years or more ahead to undermine Tory hopes in 2015... Tax credits are having an effect too but I haven't worked that one out yet....
  • Options
    I think the closest result I can remember is a majority of 2 votes (Winchester 1997), which is the closest to a dead heat we've had.

So in the last 4 general elections out of nearly 2,500 seats up for grabs.

1 out of 2,500.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

An intriguing feature of such an outcome is that Cameron could sit tight and wouldn’t have to leave Downing Street. It would be only if/when LAB put together some sort of arrangements that would take them over the 325 seat mark that Dave would have to go to the Palace.

I'm not sure about that Mike.

If Dave has a Queen's Speech voted down, then Dave might have to visit the palace before Labour have put together arrangements that would put them over 325 seats
    If I were Dave I'd put forward a programme for government, then if either the Queen's Speech or a illustrative timetabling motion were voted down, go to the electorate and say "this is what I want to do, this is what I will do if you vote Conservative". Leaving it just long enough to give the impression that Labour and the Lib Dems were prepared to sign manifesto commitments away behind closed doors.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    The dead heat question; I came up with around 16/1. Which was a lot lower than I would have guessed. Quite surprising it has never happened before really, although there have been eight single figure majorities since the war.

(Worked out the average majority of all seats in 2010, found the standard deviation, assumed a normal distribution.)

Separately, someone on twitter asked me the odds of a Lab/Con dead heat in seat numbers at the election, and we've come up with 66/1.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Shinner Michelle Gildernew narrowly clung onto Fermanagh and S. Tyrone in 2010 by just 4 votes...
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    10-1 Con-Lib Buy but I think the other option which would be "muddle through" would come under enormous pressure from civil servants for "stability" and then there's the nuclear threat of how will "the market" react and the worry about government debt-with all that I think the 12-1 is too short and I haven't even mentioned "the run on the pound".
  • Options

I think the closest result I can remember is a majority of 2 votes (Winchester 1997), which is the closest to a dead heat we've had.

1 out of 2,500.

If Shadsy offers 2,500-1 on any dead heat it'll get smashed into six ways till Sunday by any serious gambling mathematician.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

1 out of 2,500.

In reality a dead heat would need a recount, which would likely include errors meaning it was no longer a dead heat. Then that result would be taken.

Real odds are very long indeed, and would have to assume all recounts reached the same amount.

Seems highly unlikely in MP-sized constituencies.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    shadsy said:

someone on twitter asked me the odds of a Lab/Con dead heat in seat numbers at the election, and we've come up with 66/1.

That looks quite tasty!

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and very interesting that with almost an entire working political year to go the Tories are only 24 seats down on 2010 according to this particular bookie. Let's see what the punters think once IndyRef is past, Conference season is past and the GE is the next major political event on the horizon (barring a world catastrophe or major ebola outbreak).

John Rentoul is expecting a pretty much permanent cross over in the polls before the end of September. The average polls in recent months would look very different if the weekly outlier Labour leads of 5-7 are excluded.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The great irony of this election is that it is entirely possible the Tories may not only have shot themselves in the foot by supporting no change in the AV ref. and campaigning against it,they have sawn their legs off.Add this to the absolute stupidity that resulted in the breakdown of Lords Reform with the LibDems and then the loss of 20 seats by failing to agree on parliamentary seats and it has all amounted to self-inflicted damage which means they could lose an election they could have won.The Kamikaze pilots had more regard for their own personal interests than the Tory party.
  • Options
    Closish to my estimation of:

CON 275
    LAB 312
    LIB 28
    NAT 14
    UKIP 3
  • Options

Shinner Michelle Gildernew narrowly clung onto Fermanagh and S. Tyrone in 2010 by just 4 votes...

Oh, so it's like 2 out of the last 2,500 seats.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

1 out of 2,500.

If Shadsy offers 2,500-1 on any dead heat it'll get smashed into six ways till Sunday by any serious gambling mathematician.
    Shush.

I'm luring Shadsy into a trap with my irrefutable logic.
  • Options

Oh, so it's like 2 out of the last 2,500 seats.
    And 650 come up all at once - if you worked through you'd probably reach 16-1 or so...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think the longest political odds Shadsy offer is 1000/1
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Interesting analysis, but I think it underestimates the momentum factor, which was relevant in 2010 - quite a few Labour MPs felt we couldn't really hang on to power after losing a lot of seats and the majority. On the figures shown by Mike, both the Tories and the LibDems would have lost a lot of seats, and it would really look like two losers clinging to power. I can't see the LibDems in particular buying it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Interesting analysis, but I think it underestimates the momentum factor, which was relevant in 2010 - quite a few Labour MPs felt we couldn't really hang on to power after losing a lot of seats and the majority. On the figures shown by Mike, both the Tories and the LibDems would have lost a lot of seats, and it would really look like two losers clinging to power. I can't see the LibDems in particular buying it.

LD + Con here is 317 seats.

That isn't just a coalition, it's a minority coalition.

I can see a minority Gov't, or a coalition. Minority coalition - no chance.

Not even a 'De Facto' Majority coalition.
  • Options
    This is very interesting

Labour lost nine seats in the Yorkshire/Humber region in 2010. Today, Ladbrokes are forecasting that they will regain just four of those at the next general election.

http://politicalbookie.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/the-4-seats-labour-are-forecast-to-gain-in-yorkshire/
  • Options

IIRC wasn't such a plan publicly condemned by John Reid and David Blunkett (when he said the Lib Dems were acting like whores) which ended the deals.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

This is very interesting

Labour lost nine seats in the Yorkshire/Humber region in 2010. Today, Ladbrokes are forecasting that they will regain just four of those at the next general election.

http://politicalbookie.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/the-4-seats-labour-are-forecast-to-gain-in-yorkshire/

Con Hold Pudsey I reckon...

Miliband won't do very well in West Yorkshire methinks.

However I think he gains Reading West down sarf to make up for it...
  • Options
    Apologies it was harlot, not whore

Britain's third party is looking forward to "crunch time" as it is poised to decide the make-up of the next Government.

However, while senior Conservatives described Mr Clegg's behaviour as "sordid", former Labour home secretary David Blunkett compared him with a "harlot".

"Can we trust the Liberal Democrats?" Mr Blunkett asked. "They’re behaving like every harlot in history."

Adding that the Conservatives were in a stronger position to form a stable Government, he urged his party's leadership to accept a period in opposition rather than an unworkable coalition.

"I don’t think it will bring stability, I think it will lead to a lack of legitimacy and I think it will make people think that we haven’t listened to them," he told the BBC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/7709067/Liberal-Democrats-behaving-like-every-harlot-in-history-says-David-Blunkett.html
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Ladbrokes are forecasting that they will regain just four of those at the next general election.

And that net four gain assumes they hold Great Grimsby and Rotherham.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This is very interesting

Con Hold Pudsey I reckon...
    Con maj of 1.5k and 10k Lib Dems in the seat.

I like Stuart Andrew, but I think he's doomed.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

The problem with that logic Nick is that a Parliament like that could really only have a stable majority between the Lib Dems and Labour. So the Lib Dems get rejected by the voters (in terms of both seats and vote share) but then remain in office? That really could be wind up time for them.

My guess is that Labour would seek to have a minority government. As the man in position that would require more cooperation from Cameron than he got from Brown in 2010.
  • Options
    I was also asked the other day for the odds on an exact tie in the indyref.
    I think it's probably over a million to one, but I'm not going to be taking any bets.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Oliver_PB said:

The popular vote is completely meaningless in a FPTP system.

I thought the Tories were strongly against turning "losers into winners".

It's not meaningless to the Liberal Democrats, however, who would hold the balance of power, with such an outcome.

I'm inclined to think that's how it will turn out, but with the Conservative and Labour positions reversed.

• Options

1 out of 2,500.

In reality a dead heat would need a recount, which would likely include errors meaning it was no longer a dead heat. Then that result would be taken.

Real odds are very long indeed, and would have to assume all recounts reached the same amount.

That seems wrong to me. If there was a result with a majority of, say, 4 it is just as possible that the dead heat might be found on the recount as on the original count.

That said if the odds were as low as 16-1 should we not have had at least 1 since the war?
  • Options
    I'm inclined to think that's how it will turn out, but with the Conservative and Labour positions reversed.

Ed might quite like that, as a way to spike the demands of the left, in the same way as Dave uses the dems to spike the demands of the right
  • Options
    shadsy said:

I was also asked the other day for the odds on an exact tie in the indyref.
    I think it's probably over a million to one, but I'm not going to be taking any bets.

Same situation as I said before - any true tie will be nullified by errors in a recount, therefore will never exist in the final result.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

1 out of 2,500.

That seems wrong to me. If there was a result with a majority of, say, 4 it is just as possible that the dead heat might be found on the recount as on the original count.

That said if the odds were as low as 16-1 should we not have had at least 1 since the war?
    The true odds will be slightly different at each General Election.

You can go plenty of attempts without a true 16-1 shot landing.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

1 out of 2,500.

But then there would be another recount.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

DavidL said:

1 out of 2,500.

And if it ended up that the carefully conducted recount result was upheld by the second recount then that would be the end of the matter and the dead heat would be confirmed and the returning officer would prepare lots.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2014
    DavidL said:

The problem with that logic Nick is that a Parliament like that could really only have a stable majority between the Lib Dems and Labour. So the Lib Dems get rejected by the voters (in terms of both seats and vote share) but then remain in office? That really could be wind up time for them.

My guess is that Labour would seek to have a minority government. As the man in position that would require more cooperation from Cameron than he got from Brown in 2010.
    Suppose, we end up with Labour as the largest party but short of a majority. The Lib Dems are down to about 10% of the popular vote but hang on to enough seats to form a coalition with Labour. After the negotiations the SoS for Industry is Vince Cable, Laws retains his position at Education and Davey at energy and, worst of all, Clegg remains DPM.

One or all of those posts are plausible given a LabLib coalition. How do you think the public would react to that?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

DavidL said:

1 out of 2,500.

If it's a dead heat, it's a dead heat:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17952237

2011 Ramsbottom too
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    So anyone who was around for the last Argentine default want to talk us through this one? I'm not in emerging markets but I'm still interested...
  • Options
    Neil said:

DavidL said:

1 out of 2,500.

And if it ended up that the carefully conducted recount result was upheld by the second recount then that would be the end of the matter and the dead heat would be confirmed and the returning officer would prepare lots.
    True, but that event occurring on top of the previous tie, pushes up the odds by an order of magnitude or two.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

1 out of 2,500.

Tbf the numbers involved mean it's easier to conduct an error free count at local level. In the case Sunil cited below none of the 4 counts produced exactly the same answer. Heck, the right answer could have been a dead heat! But that's not the same as saying a dead heat is impossible.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

DavidL said:

Suppose, we end up with Labour as the largest party but short of a majority. The Lib Dems are down to about 10% of the popular vote but hang on to enough seats to form a coalition with Labour. After the negotiations the SoS for Industry is Vince Cable, Laws retains his position at Education and Davey at energy and, worst of all, Clegg remains DPM.

One or all of those posts are plausible given a LabLib coalition. How do you think the public would react to that?
    Would be 5 years of 2008.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

1 out of 2,500.

The true odds will be slightly different at each General Election.

You can go plenty of attempts without a true 16-1 shot landing.
    Yes they will but if anything the trend to safe seats has increased over the years so there are less chances than there might have been 50 years ago despite the modest increase in seats.

IANAE but if the odds are truly 16-1 is there not a 50% chance of the result coming up in 16 goes? And since we have had more than 16 elections since the war (18 I think) there should be a better than 50% chance (not much but better) than not of it happening.

If you look at local elections where there are much smaller electorates it has happened but it seems to be vanishingly rare which also seem seriously inconsistent with 16-1.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

1 out of 2,500.

2011 Ramsbottom too
    Local elections have fewer voters and therefore have recounts with much less chance of errors.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

So anyone who was around for the last Argentine default want to talk us through this one? I'm not in emerging markets but I'm still interested...

I think one of the main differences is that this time they actually paid the money due whereas the last time they didnt.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    DavidL said:

I think you're right that a minority government while the LibDems reviewed their leadership is the most likely, perhaps followed by a Lab-LD coalition with a new leader. But simply switching is common enough in other countries (the FDP used to be famous for it - "vote for whoever you like, the FDP will decide who wins") and I expect that any initial feelings would subside and would then depend on whether people felt it was working out well.
  • Options
    Neil said:

MaxPB said:

I think one of the main differences is that this time they actually paid the money due whereas the last time they didnt.
    Does it make it likelier that the Argies will try and invade the Falklands?

If so, Dave will get a Falklands bounce.

Tory landslide in 2015 like in 1983?
  • Options
    @DavidL. I think the chances of a 16/1 shot losing 16 times in a row are about 37%. So, not particularly unlikely.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited July 2014
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Will you be leading the charge up Mount Tumbledown armed with a fruit knife having been transported there by Brittany Ferries?
    It may have escaped your notice, but we are in a worse position than when Maggie gave the order, and even then it was a "damned close run thing"
  • Options
    How many dead heats have there been in local elections btw ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles
    Will you be leading the charge up Mount Tumbledown armed with a fruit knife having been transported there by Brittany Ferries?
    It may have escaped your notice, but we are in a worse position than when Maggie gave the order, and even then it was a "damned close run thing"

Argies don't have the forces they had then either - the Belgrano for one isn't available.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

I thought we'd agreed you'd stop talking about military matters to stop my sides from hurting.

I'll be the Max Hastings de nos jours.

Plus, I'd not be advocating infantry to retake The Falklands.

I'm advocating reducing our nuclear arsenal one at a time.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Well we have no shortage of generals who can give the orders, though we might be a little low on troops to die gloriously.
    PB "Old Pals" brigade? (with the accent more on "Old"? :-)
  • Options

Neil said:

MaxPB said:

Does it make it likelier that the Argies will try and invade the Falklands?

If so, Dave will get a Falklands bounce.

Tory landslide in 2015 like in 1983?
    STICK IT UP YOUR PUNTER!
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles
    Well we have no shortage of generals who can give the orders, though we might be a little low on troops to die gloriously.
    PB "Old Pals" brigade? (with the accent more on "Old"? :-)

"I want to tell you my secret now..... I see old people!"
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    ''It may have escaped your notice, but we are in a worse position than when Maggie gave the order, and even then it was a "damned close run thing"

It may have escaped your notice, but Argentina is bankrupt and is still using the same military stuff they had in the 80s.

Britain, however, has moved on and has amazing sh*t like HMS Dauntless, which can detect an Argentinian general f8rting at 4,000 miles. Also, state of the art subs. And euro fighters

Also, the Falklands now has an airstrip, which means we could fly all sorts of sh8t in there pronto if we needed it.

Which we won't.
  • Options
    shadsy said:

@DavidL. I think the chances of a 16/1 shot losing 16 times in a row are about 37%. So, not particularly unlikely.

It does mean, however, that there was a 63% chance of it happening. And for 18 (can't do the maths I am embarrassed to say) it must be even more likely.

As I say the rarity of ties in local election results suggests that your estimate of the risks of this occurring in any one election cycle must be pretty conservative.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    @taffys
    You confidence marks you out as General Staff material, statements like that are usually followed by a "How the hell did that happen?" and a quick coverup (milk and two sugars, and follow those orders to the letter )
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    taffys said:

''It may have escaped your notice, but we are in a worse position than when Maggie gave the order, and even then it was a "damned close run thing"

It may have escaped your notice, but Argentina is bankrupt and is still using the same military stuff they had in the 80s.

Britain, however, has moved on and has amazing sh*t like HMS Dauntless, which can detect an Argentinian general f8rting at 4,000 miles. Also, state of the art subs. And euro fighters

Also, the Falklands now has an airstrip, which means we could fly all sorts of sh8t in there pronto if we needed it.

Which we won't.

Don't confuse the poor chap with facts, he has 'beliefs' which are so much more important,,,
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

It was indeed a "damned close run thing", and I commend to you the book "Forgotten Voices of the Falklands" and to a lesser extent, "Don't Cry for Me Sergeant Major", which admirably illustrate just how close it was.

It is also true that the UK is wholly incapable of mounting a similar operation today, but then it will not need to. Argentina couldn't mount an invasion - their flagship (an ancient British Built Type 42 destroyer, sans all upgrades) sunk at its moorings a while back, FFS! . Probably the entire Argentine Air Force, well such of it that can actually take to the skies, could, without anyone breaking a sweat, be taken down by the half squadron of Typhoons that are stationed down there.

Of course, were Argentina able to put together a cunning plan to seize Mount Pleasant and so put troops on the ground then Cameron, or whoever the PM was at the time, would be destroyed - a bottle of whiskey and a revolver in the Library would be his best option. But that isn't likely.

If you want to worry about defence matters then think about the possibility of a freighter suddenly, and a out of a clear blue sky, exploding on the run into to Felixstowe.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

I thought we'd agreed you'd stop talking about military matters to stop my sides from hurting.

I'll be the Max Hastings de nos jours.

Plus, I'd not be advocating infantry to retake The Falklands.

I'm advocating reducing our nuclear arsenal one at a time.
    We'd make Buenos Aires glow like the Readbreak children.

• Options
    @HurstLlama
    Up here we tend to worry more about the blast containment around the nuclear subs when they return to port and unload the missiles.
    Depending on what happens in September, it might be less of a concern.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited July 2014
    Rod made a dramatic 11:40 intervention to say the Tories were in the lead where it matters and would win the next election, but sadly didn't elaborate...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    taffys said:

Which we won't.

I feel offended by your reference to our kit as "sh!t"!!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    If Labour win most votes and seats in 2015, the precedent is clear and set in 1929. David Cameron should resign, and advise HerMaj to send for Ed Miliband, as Baldwin did for MacDonald. (I know this wasn't followed last time. This is because Gus O'Donnell was an arrogant fool who had not bothered to check his precedents, and Gordon Brown wasn't complaining because he was so desperate to hang on to power.)

If one party is ahead on seats, but behind on votes, the precedents are as follows:

1) An opposition party behind on seats but in a position to form a coalition by virtue of its mandate votes down the Speech from the Throne and therefore brings down the government after a delay (precedents, 1892 and 1924)

2) A governing party in the same situation has the right to remain in office if it can form a coalition (precedent, 1970).

No guarantee of course that civil servants (who are mostly economists or esoteric subject graduates rather than lawyers or historians) will know this, but that's the legal position.
  • Options
    @Sean_F
    Nice thought, unfortunately when you send some of that instant sunshine, you have broken the "MAD" convention and might just trigger a response from a nervous Russian commander.
    :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    We'd make Buenos Aires glow like the Readbreak children.

I wonder if that is what might actually be concerning the Argies down the line. I read the population of the falklands is rising and set to rise much more as it develops its natural resources. The land mass is about half the size of Wales.

We could put 20 euro fighters down there if we wanted. Or 50.

I also heard St. Helena is due to get an airstrip (from last night's commonwealth games). It occurred to me that might not be a total coincidence in this respect.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I think Labour will do much better in the marginals they need to win, than is currently forecast. I still think Labour will end up with 310 + seats , Tories at around 250-270 and the Lib Dems around 40. The Lib Dems are still doing quite well in council elections, where they have a current MP and have also taken some council seats from the Tories.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@HurstLlama
    Up here we tend to worry more about the blast containment around the nuclear subs when they return to port and unload the missiles.
    Depending on what happens in September, it might be less of a concern.

Yawn. No actual contribution to the discussion then.
  • Options
    @Sunil_Prasannan
    The army was raiding the regimental museums for heavy caliber machine guns, and the Bellgrano was sunk using Mk.VIII torpedoes because the latest high tech ones didn't work.
  • Options
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Sunil_Prasannan
    The army was raiding the regimental museums for heavy caliber machine guns, and the Bellgrano was sunk using Mk.VIII torpedoes because the latest high tech ones didn't work.

Smarmy, old boy, you don't half talk a load of old bollocks at times.
  • Options
    @HurstLlama
    Our last discussion contained your rebuttal of the German trench defensive by wittering on about the "slaughter of the innocents". Where the German Army conclusively proved that marching troops in close formation toward defensive positions, in the teeth of rapid fire (in this case rifles) was a mugs game.
    Our military geniuses were still trying the same tactic up till 10 minutes before the armistice.The first battle of Ypres, I forgot about it at the time because it was based on a myth, at least two thirds of the troops involved were regular or landwher, and they were singing as a form of recognition in the mist, the myth even gets the song wrong.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If Labour win most votes and seats in 2015, the precedent is clear and set in 1929. David Cameron should resign, and advise HerMaj to send for Ed Miliband, as Baldwin did for MacDonald. (I know this wasn't followed last time. This is because Gus O'Donnell was an arrogant fool who had not bothered to check his precedents, and Gordon Brown wasn't complaining because he was so desperate to hang on to power.)

If one party is ahead on seats, but behind on votes, the precedents are as follows:

1) An opposition party behind on seats but in a position to form a coalition by virtue of its mandate votes down the Speech from the Throne and therefore brings down the government after a delay (precedents, 1892 and 1924)

2) A governing party in the same situation has the right to remain in office if it can form a coalition (precedent, 1970).

No guarantee of course that civil servants (who are mostly economists or esoteric subject graduates rather than lawyers or historians) will know this, but that's the legal position.

Lord Salisbury, Stanley Baldwin and Ted Heath were clear winners in 1892,1924 and 1970 though ?

• Options
    Incidentally @HurstLlama‌, thanks for your detailed reply on my previous post. Absolutely my final word on the subject: I wonder whether those who turned up to Montgomery's funeral might have been the ones that liked him and perhaps that skewed the sample? I don't think too many survivors of 9th Armoured were there...but equally of course, my grandfather and his friends being my own source, that in itself is skewed! I got the feeling from my own reading that he was quite a polarising figure, but from what I know I would suggest he was disliked by a large section of his officer corps and by those men who liked their officers, which would not have been by any means all of them.

And of course he was popular at home - that's never been in dispute. But some right useless chancers have been popular at home due to propaganda (look at Zhukov, or Ulysses S. Grant, or for that matter George Washington) despite being unnecessarily brutal with their own men.

Ironically, given your reference to Haig, I've always thought of them as rather similar - possibly and indeed probably well-meaning, but too inclined to go for the grand gesture without getting all their support operations in order (we come back to 9th Armoured and Market Garden) and losing men needlessly as a result.
  • Options
    @HurstLlama
    You were there? Tell me of your deeds dear boy.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    ydoethur said:

I

1970 saw a change from a majority party (Labour) directly to a Conservative majority.
  • Options
    Great timing from Smarmy.

Bloomberg is reporting that Argentinian US dollar bonds are plummeting because it defaulted on its debt yet again. Negotiations with bond holders who actually wanted to get paid the full dollar have collapsed, by the look of it.

Markets rattled. Stocks down.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar:

Baldwin had a 67 seat lead over Labour in 1924. Salisbury's Unionists had a 40 seat lead in 1892. Heath was 5 seats behind in 1974 (whoops sorry, my misprint) but ahead on the popular vote, so only resigned on failing to form a government with the Liberals.
  • Options
    @ydoethur
    Operation "Goodwood" was tremendous fun though, unless you were in one of the attacking tanks.
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1874

Is surely the best historical parrallel to what might happen - Gladstone getting a majority of the vote whilst Disraeli won a majority of seats.

Disraeli became PM !
  • Options
    Yes @JohnO‌ sorry, I meant 1974. 1970 there was no doubt about who had won!

Let this be a lesson to me not to type too fast...
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@HurstLlama
    Our last discussion contained your rebuttal of the German trench defensive by wittering on about the "slaughter of the innocents". Where the German Army conclusively proved that marching troops in close formation toward defensive positions, in the teeth of rapid fire (in this case rifles) was a mugs game.
    Our military geniuses were still trying the same tactic up till 10 minutes before the armistice.The first battle of Ypres, I forgot about it at the time because it was based on a myth, at least two thirds of the troops involved were regular or landwher, and they were singing as a form of recognition in the mist, the myth even gets the song wrong.

Smarmy, old boy, you don't half talk a load of old bollocks at times.

Now, tell me about this raiding of the regimental museums for HMGs during the Falklands campaign? That was my time so I am all agog, what on earth was going on that I missed?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    ydoethur said:

Some clear error of fact.

1. The Conservative formed a majority government in 1970.
    2. Precedents do not represent "legal positions".
    3. The Queen may send for anyone who may form a majority in parliament. All other issues are mute.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1874

Is surely the best historical parrallel to what might happen - Gladstone getting a majority of the vote whilst Disraeli won a majority of seats.

Disraeli became PM !

Yebbut only about ten people had the vote back then :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Closish to my estimation of:

CON 275
    LAB 312
    LIB 28
    NAT 14
    UKIP 3

How does your 14 seats estimate for the Nats split between SNP and Plaid?
  • Options
    2 caveats @Pulpstar‌

That far back, popular vote isn't helpful as a guide because many seats were uncontested:

Disraeli won an outright majority, so there was no question of who would form a government.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    What a shame, well never mind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-28574356

Labour lose control in Calderdale.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yes @JohnO‌ sorry, I meant 1974. 1970 there was no doubt about who had won!

Let this be a lesson to me not to type too fast...

Both 1874 and 1974 seem to point to the fact that it is seats, not votes that matter (ultimately) and both perhaps point to the fact that not alot will change if the same happens in 2015.
  • Options
    DanBarkrDanBarkr Posts: 17
    How accurate have bookies been in the past? I know its purely speculation based on the present, but part of their business is to ensure that these are right - do they do any weighting for potential future trends?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Barkr.

Country that can't pay debts blames another country for pointing out it can't pay debts:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-28587653
  • Options
    Thanks, @JackW‌ but:

Precedents do form legal positions - why do you suppose lawyers cite them all the time? Once a precedent is set, it is followed. Silliest example imaginable, but constitutional protocol mandated for centuries that only the Royal Standard is flown above Buck House. When, in 1997, the Union flag was flown at half mast to commemorate a certain person, it set a precedent and now the Union flag flies when the Queen is not in residence. As with flags, so with Parliament. In 1660 a precedent was set that the King should be barred from entering the Commons by force if necessary after unfortunate incidents involving his father - and that's still in force to this day.

The Queen cannot, in theory or practice send for anyone who may form a government, only somebody who can form a government. The last time a commission on the Crown's initiative had to be declined was Bonar Law in 1916, because even he accepted Lloyd George was the clear choice to be PM.

I've already apologised for my silly blunder over 1970/74.
This discussion has been closed.