Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s been no Glasgow games boost yet for IndyRef YES on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s been no Glasgow games boost yet for IndyRef YES on Betfair – now rated by punters as a 14.2% chance

The pre-Commonwealth games expectations that the Glasgow events would provide a boost for independence campaigners has yet to be materialised if Betfair punters are anything to go by. Even though Scottish athletes are having their best games ever punters appear unmoved.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Phew! I was beginning to worry about you, Mike. For some reason I kept thinking of the demise of former England cricketer Trevor Bailey, who scalded himself to death whilst trying to make his wife a cup of tea. Mind you, he was well into his eighties at the time...

I suppose it will come to all of us, if we're lucky enough.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Whilst in Parliament last week, there were quite a few staff of Scottish Labour MPs around and over drinks on the terrace I ventured that the No/Yes could be 55/45.

However, as body that said that it would be 60/40 and perhaps 65/35.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Yes increasingly remind me of Romney supporters in 2012.

The polls are wrong, there's only one poll that matters, our canvassing results are much better, tge betting markets are wrong, bettors don't understand the electorate, the media is against us, that sort of thing.

The most interesting thing, Romney lost by less than 4%
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    OGH looking to trade out of his YES positions ?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Phew! I was beginning to worry about you, Mike. For some reason I kept thinking of the demise of former England cricketer Trevor Bailey, who scalded himself to death whilst trying to make his wife a cup of tea. Mind you, he was well into his eighties at the time...

That's cheered me up no end

• Options

A feature of the YES campaign that resonates badly is that every development is presented by them as good news. Their messaging would have a lot more credibility if they acknowledged set backs when they happen.

Oh Mike. You will rue the day.
  • Options
    OT

Australia’s carbon tax has been repealed, leaving the country with no official policy to achieve the minimum 5% greenhouse emissions reduction target it has signed up to in international agreements. The Liberal-led government said households will be better off by an average $550 following the move.

The tax was $25.40 a tonne and the repeal will cost the budget around $7bn over the next four years as around 350 businesses, mainly electricity generators and big manufacturers, no longer have to pay the tax.

The government argued the carbon pricing scheme had been ineffective, although national emissions fell by 0.8% in the first calendar year of its operation, the largest fall in 24 years of records.

Since the tax began, emissions from the east coast electricity market have fallen 11%, but emissions from other sources – especially coal and gas -have increased.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s special powers are to monitor and enforce only electricity and gas price reductions. Electricity bills will rise, but by an estimated 9% less than they otherwise would. Gas bills will rise by an estimated 7% less than they would have with the tax still in place.

The government says it will now achieve the target of a 5% reduction in Australian emissions (compared with 2000 levels by 2020) through its Direct Action policy, which will offer $2.5bn in competitive grants over the next four years to companies and organisations voluntarily reducing emissions. The policy is voluntary and puts no overall cap on emissions.

http://www.hazardexonthenet.net/article/79127/Australia-scraps-carbon-tax.aspx?emailaddress=pgatward@hazres.com&utm_source=emailmarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20140730nl&utm_content=2014-07-30_0825
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    edited July 2014
    Good morning, everyone.

FPT: Mr. G, we only find out which side are fibbing if Yes wins.

Edited extra bit: to merge last night and this morning's thread, Basil II acknowledged his first (and last real) set back by crying in a church.

Mind you, he did end up crushing his enemies in battle and treating the prisoners in such a manner that when they got home their leader died from shock.

FPT 2: Mr. Charles, there *was* another emperor, Basil's brother Constantine. He was awful, though, and the lack of succession planning is a serious black mark against his name.

However, the overrated Marcus Aurelius was worse in allowing Commodus to become emperor, and nobody criticises him.
  • Options

Cheers me up, too.
  • Options
    FPT

MalcolmG

I agree with you wholeheartedly that politiicans are largely a bunch of lying, cheating, untrustworthy scumbags - to varying degrees. But what I also don't doubt is that they want to get elected. Or that the public losses / private gains element of banking is wildly unpopular.

So....there is no doubt going to be a political / electoral driver to the currency endgame negotiations. The party that comes to rUK electorate / taxpayer saying 'I think it would be great for you to cover the risks of Scottish bank failure' is a brave one (in the Sir Humphey sense). There is no doubt that the moment a YES vote were announced there would develop a them vs us mindset to the negotiations. It would be hugely in Scotland's interest to share a currency. It would be hugely not in rUK's interest to do so. Any feasible arrangement involving a shared currency would then necessarily involve a Westminster veto on Scottish tax and spending decisions - so not really 'indpendence' after all.

I know this is a dearly held wish of the YES side - but the currency issue is the BIG ONE that is not sorted. Sometimes you just need to believe what politicians say. All the financial reps of the major parties, the BoE, the banks, the financial services industry and regulators have said a shared currency ain't gonna happen. Because it can't. I believe them. And as a rUK voter I'd vote accordingly too.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I was musing on Jacks McARSE earlier. Shadsy has odds of 4.33 on 35-40% and 4.50 on 80-85% turnout. The products of his McARSE have been consistent and regular, so these are looking quite attractive.

And surely 8.0 for 50-55% yes is a better option than overall yes at 5.5; though I am not inclined to throw good Sterling pounds away on this.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    FPT
    Patrick said:

MalcolmG

I agree with you wholeheartedly that politiicans are largely a bunch of lying, cheating, untrustworthy scumbags - to varying degrees. But what I also don't doubt is that they want to get elected. Or that the public losses / private gains element of banking is wildly unpopular. So....there is no doubt going to be a political / electoral driver to the currency endgame. The party that comes to rUK electorate / taxpayer saying 'I think it would be good for you to cover the risks of Scottish bank failure' is a brave one (in the Sir Humphey sense). There is no doubt that the moment a YES vote was announced that there would develop a them vs us mindset to the negotiations. It would be hugely in Scotland's interest to share a currency. It would be hugely not in rUK's interest to do so. Any feasible arrangement involving a shared currency would then necessarily involve a Westminster veto on Scottish tax and spending decisions - so not really 'indpendence' after all.

They will get elected in 2015 and park the issue till next time , be sure of it. It will not involve any Westminster veto either, it will mean rules that both agree to on spending limits , not exactly a bad thing. All other powers that are currently with Westminster will be available so it is real independence after all.
    Financier said:

Whilst in Parliament last week, there were quite a few staff of Scottish Labour MPs around and over drinks on the terrace I ventured that the No/Yes could be 55/45.

However, as body that said that it would be 60/40 and perhaps 65/35.

Idiot takes voodoo poll of troughers and surprise surprise , what was the result.
  • Options

I thought Trevor Bailey died in a fire.

Oh, that's not going to cheer you up is it

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    FPT but relevant:

It is obvious that Scottish independence would be a major blow to one of our largest industries and major employers. Being a part of a much larger economic unit has allowed our financial services to grow multiple times beyond what would be sustainable in an independent country.

But if you were trying your absolute hardest to maximise that damage you would choose a situation where we continued to use Sterling without a lender of last resort or the cover of London based financial regulation. I simply do not see how any financial service provider bigger than a local savings bank could survive in such a scenario.

A Scottish pound tied, for at least for a preliminary period, to sterling would make much more sense. Our financial services industry would still need to shrink by about 80% but the job implications of this would be in the thousands rather than the tens of thousands as the major banks, Standard Life, Scottish Widows and some others took their registration (and of course their tax base) south but much of their back office remained and in all likelihood some smaller players establishing "offshore" took their place.

The truth is that the SNP decided that their policy was to try to sell Independence as not very different at all and keeping the currency was a key plank of that. So far as can be ascertained the economic implications of the policy were not considered at all.

Last night we even had the truly bizarre position of Pete Wishart MP and several other SNP worthies explaining how they were voting yes but how they treasured their Britishness which would not be affected!
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

MD , On that question true, in general though we know Westminster lie for a living and that will not change.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    malcolmg said:

Good morning, everyone.

MD , On that question true, in general though we know Westminster lie for a living and that will not change.
    And Mr Salmond is the epitome of honesty and probity?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

The polls are wrong, there's only one poll that matters, our canvassing results are much better, tge betting markets are wrong, bettors don't understand the electorate, the media is against us, that sort of thing.

I disagree. It's not a facet of Romney or Yes supporters. Partisans of all sides think and act the same time - look at the reaction on here every night when the YouGov comes out.

It's all about supporting one's "side" and criticising the other "sides". Political parties, football teams - in truth, there's not a lot of difference.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited July 2014

I thought Trevor Bailey died in a fire.

Oh, that's not going to cheer you up is it

Actually you're both right! He died in a fire while trying to make a cup tea for his wife.

One of England's finest cricketers and almost certainly Essex' best to date.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

malcolmg said:

Good morning, everyone.

It's not like Salmond ever said the pound was a millstone round Scotland's neck then a few years later is desperate to be in a currency union involving the pound
  • Options
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited July 2014
    LATEST:Shadow chancellor Ed Balls says the previous Labour government should have been tougher on bankers' bonuses. BBC ticker.

Didn't the Labour Government rake off 40% via income taxes then?
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
  • Options

I was musing on Jacks McARSE earlier. Shadsy has odds of 4.33 on 35-40% and 4.50 on 80-85% turnout. The products of his McARSE have been consistent and regular, so these are looking quite attractive.

And surely 8.0 for 50-55% yes is a better option than overall yes at 5.5; though I am not inclined to throw good Sterling pounds away on this.

It may be my natural pessimism but I still think this is going to be a lot closer than JackW is indicating. However...my daughter was out canvassing in a poorer area of Dundee last night and found a fairly strong majority for "no" even if the won't says (of which there were quite a few) were presumed to be yes. Dundee is thought to be one of the SNP strongholds.

On Thursday I hope to join her in Carnoustie. If that also shows a no trend I may start to get a little more confident.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    The labour death tax will be utterly toxic for them....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    MalcolmG
    They will get elected in 2015 and park the issue till next time , be sure of it. It will not involve any Westminster veto either, it will mean rules that both agree to on spending limits , not exactly a bad thing. All other powers that are currently with Westminster will be available so it is real independence after all.

Incoherent guff. A YES means they need to start negotiating terms immediately in order to enable an act of parliament to be passed. It cannot be 'parked'. You seem to be suggesting that following a YES the actual independence of Scotland could wait a few years! I am sure this is impossible.

It looks very much like we're headed for a hung parliament in 2015. (or a Tory majority if Scottish MPs go). It is naive in the extreme to assume that rUK politicians will negotiate for the greater good of Scotland. They'll do whatever they think will help them get re-elected in the rUK. The currency problem is the huge pulsating gorilla in the corner of the YES campaign's agenda. It's NOT sorted. Hence the 14.2%, 60 NO / 40 YES picture of today.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I disagree. It's not a facet of Romney or Yes supporters. Partisans of all sides think and act the same time - look at the reaction on here every night when the YouGov comes out.

It's all about supporting one's "side" and criticising the other "sides". Political parties, football teams - in truth, there's not a lot of difference.
    Most people accept that the polling is largely right, across the political spectrum.

Most on here would say the general polling is consistent with a Labour lead of 3%.

It's an interesting thing that when activists start to ignore polling.
  • Options

Die with £1M and Labour will take £550,000
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    dr_spyn said:

LATEST:Shadow chancellor Ed Balls says the previous Labour government should have been tougher on bankers' bonuses. BBC ticker.

Labour's list of apologies for the last government must be getting quite long by now?
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, Mr. Flashman (deceased), is there a new Labour inheritance tax policy I've missed?
  • Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    Is Paterson plotting with Lord Ashcroft to seize the party leadership?
    http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/sacked-paterson-still-pushing-fracking.html
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Laid NO at 1.17 this morning. Quite a substantial stake. Only a tenner left now at time of Writing.
  • Options
    Mr. Dickson, I hope that's in your Betfair account rather than your entirely worldly wealth!
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

malcolmg said:

Good morning, everyone.

Compared to Westminster most certainly.
  • Options

Mr. Slackbladder, Mr. Flashman (deceased), is there a new Labour inheritance tax policy I've missed?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10998994/Labour-resurrects-plans-for-a-death-tax.html

"Labour has resurrected plans for a 15 per cent “death tax” to pay for people’s care in old age.
    Andy Burnham, the shadow health secretary, said he wants Labour to “embrace” a system where social care is funded by imposing a tax on estates when people die."
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), we already have that. It's called inheritance tax and is at 40%.

So, would this be a 15% across the board (ie no lower limit) tax in addition to IHT?

Cheers for the answer, I missed that announcement (obviously).
  • Options
    Only 220 quid liability Mr Dancer. Will not be requiring the sequestrators in the event that the NO price shortens further (unlikely). If it does, I've got 50 quid waiting to be matched on YES at 7, and plenty more cash if things look tasty.

I still haven't changed my longstanding opinion that this IndyRef is impossible to call. I have no idea if Scotland will win or if David Cameron will win. Therefore ALL my IndyRef bets are trading bets. I will get out Before 18/9.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    'The pre-Commonwealth games expectations that the Glasgow events would provide a boost for independence'

Really? As far as I can see it's mainly dumb, metropolitan commentators pushing that line, the types whose insights start & stop with Braveheart, Bannockburn & deep fried Mars bars.
    From an Indy point of view the priority was to make sure the Games weren't a f*ck up which, touch wood, seems to have been achieved. A bit of confidence and good cheer in the populace inspired by a successful event entirely planned in and paid for by Scotland is just a bonus.
  • Options

Mr. Flashman (deceased), we already have that. It's called inheritance tax and is at 40%.

So, would this be a 15% across the board (ie no lower limit) tax in addition to IHT?

This is to pay for social care whether you like it or not.

So 55% top rate.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

The curious thing is that as soon as you have 'enough' cash inheritance tax seems to be far far lower than 40%
  • Options
    Patrick said:

MalcolmG

Incoherent guff. A YES means they need to start negotiating terms immediately in order to enable an act of parliament to be passed. It cannot be 'parked'. You seem to be suggesting that following a YES the actual independence of Scotland could wait a few years! I am sure this is impossible.

It looks very much like we're headed for a hung parliament in 2015. (or a Tory majority if Scottish MPs go). It is naive in the extreme to assume that rUK politicians will negotiate for the greater good of Scotland. They'll do whatever they think will help them get re-elected in the rUK. The currency problem is the huge pulsating gorilla in the corner of the YES campaign's agenda. It's NOT sorted. Hence the 14.2%, 60 NO / 40 YES picture of today.

GUFF yourself, given it will take a long long time to split the assets, you can be sure those liars will wait till after the GE before tackling the currency question. Anybody can use those figures , last poll was 46:54, not much of a gap and if you look on oddschecker 60% of bets are for YES. None of them make a difference , it is the vote that counts. It is an idiot that believes polls weighted on a GE on this type of referendum are sacrosant.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711

Edin_Rokz said:

malcolmg said:

Good morning, everyone.

It's not like Salmond ever said the pound was a millstone round Scotland's neck then a few years later is desperate to be in a currency union involving the pound

1. It is SNP policy to use the euro, as the pound is a "millstone" around Scotland's neck
    2. It is SNP policy not to use the euro. Anyone who claims this is a bully. Using the euro is a terrible idea. Look at the Eurogeddon disaster
    3. We’ll use the pound. It's ours. The English will agree to a sterling zone – our very own Fiscal Commission says they will
    4. George Osborne says the English won't agree to a currency union?
    5. Doesn't matter. We WILL use the pound in a sterling zone, because the amazing Fiscal Commission of independent experts appointed by us says this is best
    6. Ed Balls also says the English won't agree?
    7. Doesn't matter. The English will agree in the end because they're toffs, bullies and liars and will therefore want to help us even if makes no sense for them
    8. Ed Miliband also says the English won't agree?
    9. OK so the English won't agree. But we never wanted or needed their agreement anyway. All along our REAL plan has been to use … the pound!
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100261518/scotland-will-not-be-bullied-by-reality-says-alex-salmond/
  • Options
    Must be a shock to the good people of Scotland that the English athletes haven't eaten any babies or stolen the local's wallets from their hands whilst laughing into their top hats.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Edin_Rokz said:

malcolmg said:

Good morning, everyone.

1. It is SNP policy to use the euro, as the pound is a "millstone" around Scotland's neck
    2. It is SNP policy not to use the euro. Anyone who claims this is a bully. Using the euro is a terrible idea. Look at the Eurogeddon disaster
    3. We’ll use the pound. It's ours. The English will agree to a sterling zone – our very own Fiscal Commission says they will
    4. George Osborne says the English won't agree to a currency union?
    5. Doesn't matter. We WILL use the pound in a sterling zone, because the amazing Fiscal Commission of independent experts appointed by us says this is best
    6. Ed Balls also says the English won't agree?
    7. Doesn't matter. The English will agree in the end because they're toffs, bullies and liars and will therefore want to help us even if makes no sense for them
    8. Ed Miliband also says the English won't agree?
    9. OK so the English won't agree. But we never wanted or needed their agreement anyway. All along our REAL plan has been to use … the pound!
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/seanthomas/100261518/scotland-will-not-be-bullied-by-reality-says-alex-salmond/

The loons are in full barking mode now. The rocks will be getting turned over big style shortly, unleash the frothers.
  • Options

Only 220 quid liability Mr Dancer. Will not be requiring the sequestrators in the event that the NO price shortens further (unlikely). If it does, I've got 50 quid waiting to be matched on YES at 7, and plenty more cash if things look tasty.

I still haven't changed my longstanding opinion that this IndyRef is impossible to call. I have no idea if Scotland will win or if David Cameron will win. Therefore ALL my IndyRef bets are trading bets. I will get out Before 18/9.

What referendum are you betting on, all I see is Yes or No on the ballot paper.

Not David Cameron.

Also, there are some (who currently make a majority/plurality) who will say Scotland wins if no wins.
  • Options

I've taken the remainder of that 1.17.
  • Options
    Usain Bolt will "rue the day"

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/commonwealth-games/cwg-news/usain-bolt-says-citys-commonwealth-games-are-a-bit-s.1406705386

Usain Bolt says city's Commonwealth Games are "a bit s***"

The world's fastest man might want to make a speedy exit out of Glasgow after allegedly making remarks about the city's Commonwealth Games."
  • Options

Not David Cameron.

Also, there are some (who currently make a majority/plurality) who will say Scotland wins if no wins.
    The NO Campaign constantly bangs on that a YES vote is a vote for Alex Salmond and the SNP.

Two can play at that game.
  • Options

Not David Cameron.

TSE , you are dreaming , NO means Scotland loses big time and so unless you have magical powers we will not know till 19th September if that is the case.
  • Options

'The pre-Commonwealth games expectations that the Glasgow events would provide a boost for independence'

Really? As far as I can see it's mainly dumb, metropolitan commentators pushing that line, the types whose insights start & stop with Braveheart, Bannockburn & deep fried Mars bars.
    From an Indy point of view the priority was to make sure the Games weren't a f*ck up which, touch wood, seems to have been achieved. A bit of confidence and good cheer in the populace inspired by a successful event entirely planned in and paid for by Scotland is just a bonus.

The UK's premier political betting odds compiler said he wouldn't be surprised if there was a boost for Yes, and he's seldom wrong.

http://politicalbookie.wordpress.com/2014/07/28/will-the-commonwealth-games-boost-the-yes-indyref-vote/
  • Options

stodge said:

Most people accept that the polling is largely right, across the political spectrum.

Most on here would say the general polling is consistent with a Labour lead of 3%.

Really, "most people" seem eager to embrace any poll which favours their side and automatically disregard any poll which doesn't. Yes, you can see a YouGov Labour lead of seven is an outlier but then so is a YouGov with a Labour lead of one. I'm not the one who was throwing comments like that about last night.

It doesn't stop the partisans gloating or dismissing the poll as appropriate.

As for "ignoring the polling", well, yes, most serious political analysts do ignore the daily noise of YouGov and even the bi-weekly meanderings of Ashcroft and Populus. Even the monthly ICM isn't without its flaws as I've said on here many times.

Even a "national" labour lead of 3-4 means nothing, in London Labour is apparently 10% ahead so UNS on national polling numbers is as good a system as backing every horse coming out of stall 1 at Goodwood this afternoon.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Must be a shock to the good people of Scotland that the English athletes haven't eaten any babies or stolen the local's wallets from their hands whilst laughing into their top hats.

Don't give up your day job if you have one.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes, you can see a YouGov Labour lead of seven is an outlier

The Con 33 Lab 39 recent poll was a Conservative bias outlier.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

The range in the nine McARSE projections since the new year has been pretty narrow :

18 Jan - 62/38
    18 Feb - 64/36
    18 Mar - 60/40
    17 Apr - 59/41
    20 May - 61/39
    18 Jun - 61/39
    01 Jul - 62/38
    15 Jul - 63/37
    29 Jul - 63/37

• Options
    TGOHF said:

The Scots I was near yesterday, we're even more incandescent than I was at the TMO at the hockey.
  • Options

Not David Cameron.

The NO Campaign constantly bangs on that a YES vote is a vote for Alex Salmond and the SNP.

I think you'll find a net loss of 58 non Tory MPs is more of a win for David Cameron
  • Options

Not David Cameron.

I think you'll find a net loss of 58 non Tory MPs is more of a win for David Cameron
    They'll still be there for the 2015GE regardless of the result.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/commonwealth-games/cwg-news/usain-bolt-says-citys-commonwealth-games-are-a-bit-s.1406705386

The world's fastest man might want to make a speedy exit out of Glasgow after allegedly making remarks about the city's Commonwealth Games."

Most of the Commonwealth Games have been excellent and Glasgow has done itself proud but for the blue riband event in a supposedly major games to be won in 10 seconds flat was frankly a bit embarrassing. I don't think that time would have made the final in the Olympics.

• Options

The UK's premier political betting odds compiler said he wouldn't be surprised if there was a boost for Yes, and he's seldom wrong.

http://politicalbookie.wordpress.com/2014/07/28/will-the-commonwealth-games-boost-the-yes-indyref-vote/
    TSE, given they are only mid way in games , it seems a bit odd to expect any boost even if there was going to be one. People are concentrated on the games, only political anoraks and the frothers on here expect miracles whilst making prophecies that it is a certain no by a big margin , etc , etc , Alex Salmond is Auld Nick incarnate , etc.
    We have even had confirmation from Financier that MP's lackeys at Westminster know it is certain to be at least 60% NO.
  • Options
    Millions of electricity customers will see an average reduction of £12 a year on their bills, according to proposals from the regulator, Ofgem.

From April 2015 it plans to limit the prices that can be charged by Britain's six distribution companies, which carry power to homes and businesses.

The curbs will affect 29 million English, Scottish and Welsh customers.

Ofgem's plans will also see the distribution companies spend £17bn to upgrade their networks.

The distribution element makes up about 8% of a typical electricity bill and is the only part directly controlled by Ofgem.

"Today's announcement is all part of Ofgem's consistent drive to get the best deal for consumers, while maintaining a stable regulatory regime which attracts investment as cheaply as possible," said Dermot Nolan, the regulator's chief executive.

Five out of the six network companies - UK Power Networks, Northern Power Grid, SP Energy Networks, SSE Power Distribution and Electricity North West - were ordered to cut their prices.

Only one, Western Power Distribution, had its pricing and investment plans approved by Ofgem.

The new prices will apply for eight years, from April 2015 until 2023.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28559772
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Really, "most people" seem eager to embrace any poll which favours their side and automatically disregard any poll which doesn't. Yes, you can see a YouGov Labour lead of seven is an outlier but then so is a YouGov with a Labour lead of one. I'm not the one who was throwing comments like that about last night.

It doesn't stop the partisans gloating or dismissing the poll as appropriate.

As for "ignoring the polling", well, yes, most serious political analysts do ignore the daily noise of YouGov and even the bi-weekly meanderings of Ashcroft and Populus. Even the monthly ICM isn't without its flaws as I've said on here many times.

Even a "national" labour lead of 3-4 means nothing, in London Labour is apparently 10% ahead so UNS on national polling numbers is as good a system as backing every horse coming out of stall 1 at Goodwood this afternoon.

Those people are wrong.

I've always said, look at the general trend of polling.

In Westminster VI Polls, Labour will be the largest party/have a majority on current polling and have bet accordingly, but that's a different position from two years ago, when Labour had double digit leads.

On the Indyref all the polls show No winning if the referendum was this Thursday, but the trend generally has been a narrowing of No's lead over the last two years.

I suspect time will run out for Yes this time to overhaul that lead.
  • Options

Not David Cameron.

He would still struggle to beat "Ed is Crap" Milliband, says it all.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not David Cameron.

You never know.

If the Westminster polls show a tightening, and if the only obstacle to a Tory majority is those 58 MPs, you can expect Dave to try and remove the franchise from the Scots.

He'd be nuts not too
  • Options
    There would of course be no need for taxation of any kind if all the lefties were taken out and shot.

Oh, and electricity could be supplied free, as well...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Most of the Commonwealth Games have been excellent and Glasgow has done itself proud but for the blue riband event in a supposedly major games to be won in 10 seconds flat was frankly a bit embarrassing. I don't think that time would have made the final in the Olympics.

Easy to say after he was too scared to run in the event. Personally I think he is a bit s*** and an overrated chump chop, who cares.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

TSE, given they are only mid way in games , it seems a bit odd to expect any boost even if there was going to be one. People are concentrated on the games, only political anoraks and the frothers on here expect miracles whilst making prophecies that it is a certain no by a big margin , etc , etc , Alex Salmond is Auld Nick incarnate , etc.
    We have even had confirmation from Financier that MP's lackeys at Westminster know it is certain to be at least 60% NO.
    It's all about momentum, we saw in 2012, the Jubilee and Olympics see some large leads for No (I know correlation doesn't always imply causation)

As Shadsy points out, the debate between Salmond and Darling is shortly after the games, if Salmond as expected trounces Darling, then those two things can give momentum to Yes to overhaul no's lead.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Millions of electricity customers will see an average reduction of £12 a year on their bills, according to proposals from the regulator, Ofgem.

From April 2015 it plans to limit the prices that can be charged by Britain's six distribution companies, which carry power to homes and businesses.

Ofgem's plans will also see the distribution companies spend £17bn to upgrade their networks.

The distribution element makes up about 8% of a typical electricity bill and is the only part directly controlled by Ofgem.

"Today's announcement is all part of Ofgem's consistent drive to get the best deal for consumers, while maintaining a stable regulatory regime which attracts investment as cheaply as possible," said Dermot Nolan, the regulator's chief executive.

Five out of the six network companies - UK Power Networks, Northern Power Grid, SP Energy Networks, SSE Power Distribution and Electricity North West - were ordered to cut their prices.

Only one, Western Power Distribution, had its pricing and investment plans approved by Ofgem.

OOOh cannot wait , what will I spend my £12 on. Out of £1500 who gives a hoot about £12 a year, cosmetic tinkering to try and keep the Tories pals coining it in.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130

I think Shadsy's 'modest uptick' is more likely to be accurate than 'boost'.
    It doesn't obviate my point about dumb, metropolitan commentators who are obsessed with game changers (The Olympics! Bannockburn! Barroso! No currency union! J.K.Rowling!). The Scottish electorate have been set loose, and no one can say with absolute confidence that they know what they're thinking, and how long and winding a journey they'll take to the ballot box.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Great morning for Dave in the papers today.

His immigration 'crackdown' is collapsing like a deck chair in a gale in all the tory press, and his soviet plans for the taxman to seize money from whoever they want without a court order are being seen for what they are - the tip of a giant iceberg.

Other than that its going really well..
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Easy to say after he was too scared to run in the event. Personally I think he is a bit s*** and an overrated chump chop, who cares.
    I strongly suspect that he does not care what you think Malcolm!

Bolt is past his best but his achievement in winning the 100 and 200 double twice will live on for a very long time. He raised sprinting and the profile of athletics to a whole new level. And he is a Man U fan so he can't be all bad!

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Not David Cameron.

You never know.

If the Westminster polls show a tightening, and if the only obstacle to a Tory majority is those 58 MPs, you can expect Dave to try and remove the franchise from the Scots.

He'd be nuts not too
    He would never have the balls to try, too effete.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    BenM said:
    Hardly - a very minor confusion over the difference between mean and median - but on both measures the figures are an improvement on Labour. how are things going in NHS Wales?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Using the increasingly quaint left-right political spectrum, I'm a right winger, but I have resigned myself to an Ed Miliband government.

I'm also pro-Scottish independence (by virtue of the slightly circuitous argument that everything the BT folk say about Scotland will be recycled by the Europhiles, and I'm a BOO). However, BT will win, no matter how much Mr G. huffs and puffs.

Honestly, it's a miracle I stay so sunny and cheerful, given almost nothing I want is going to happen anytime soon.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

It's all about momentum, we saw in 2012, the Jubilee and Olympics see some large leads for No (I know correlation doesn't always imply causation)

As Shadsy points out, the debate between Salmond and Darling is shortly after the games, if Salmond as expected trounces Darling, then those two things can give momentum to Yes to overhaul no's lead.
    TSE, I just do not believe the polls have a clue on this. It is not like a normal vote and no-one knows how it will go , but for sure I believe it will be tight. Personally I find that pathetic and hard to believe that should ever be in doubt but it does seem that plenty of people are so institutionalised that they are too sacred to make their own decisions. I believe enough will see that YES is the only hope for a better Scotland rather than accept continual decline under Westminster.
    We shall see soon.
  • Options
    Cheap Posh Nosh for the Boyos

It sounds like the kind of gourmet meal you would order in a top restaurant.

But work at the Welsh government and grilled Welsh pork loin steak with leek and black pudding mash would set you back just £2.95.

Figures show a 61% rise in subsidised meals for ministers and staff in their canteens over the last three years to £422,800 in 2013/14.

A Welsh government spokesman said the subsidy had risen to cover food at 10 sites instead of five before 2012.

Meals on offer at Cathays Park headquarters and other offices included steamed supreme of Wye salmon with gratin of leeks and crispy bacon wafer for £3.50, while breaded pork escalope - served with seasonal cabbage and buttery mashed potato - was priced at £2.95.

The catering is supplied to 5,800 staff including offices in Caernarfon, Aberystwyth and Swansea.

Figures obtained by the Welsh Conservatives showed the subsidy cost taxpayers £1.37m in the past four years.

Shadow finance minister Nick Ramsay AM said: "At a time when many hardworking people have had their pay frozen, a 61% hike in meal subsidies for Carwyn Jones, other Welsh Labour ministers and staff will stick in the throat."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28547274

This is a far higher standard of food than you will find at any Welsh hospital, where budgets, beds and facilities are being cut.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

OOOh cannot wait , what will I spend my £12 on. Out of £1500 who gives a hoot about £12 a year, cosmetic tinkering to try and keep the Tories pals coining it in.
    Does your house really need heating Malcolm?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Electricity distribution is a natural monopoly. These companies should be renationalised along with all of the other natural monopolies that have been created as private sector entities over the years.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Using the increasingly quaint left-right political spectrum, I'm a right winger, but I have resigned myself to an Ed Miliband government.

I'm also pro-Scottish independence (by virtue of the slightly circuitous argument that everything the BT folk say about Scotland will be recycled by the Europhiles, and I'm a BOO). However, BT will win, no matter how much Mr G. huffs and puffs.

Honestly, it's a miracle I stay so sunny and cheerful, given almost nothing I want is going to happen anytime soon.

You would be a natural Leicesterian. In the mardy East Midlands a certainty of disaster seems to keep people cheerful. Always need something to complain about!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

I strongly suspect that he does not care what you think Malcolm!

Bolt is past his best but his achievement in winning the 100 and 200 double twice will live on for a very long time. He raised sprinting and the profile of athletics to a whole new level. And he is a Man U fan so he can't be all bad!

David, probably misquoted but if he did say that and disrespect all the athletes trying their best then the man is a buffoon and a nasty one at that. I will give him the benefit of being misquoted but care not a jot for his opinion either way.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Yes, but he lost exactly as the polls said he was, it was a triumph for the polling organisations

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Financier said:

But work at the Welsh government and grilled Welsh pork loin steak with leek and black pudding mash would set you back just £2.95.

Figures show a 61% rise in subsidised meals for ministers and staff in their canteens over the last three years to £422,800 in 2013/14.

A Welsh government spokesman said the subsidy had risen to cover food at 10 sites instead of five before 2012.

Meals on offer at Cathays Park headquarters and other offices included steamed supreme of Wye salmon with gratin of leeks and crispy bacon wafer for £3.50, while breaded pork escalope - served with seasonal cabbage and buttery mashed potato - was priced at £2.95.

The catering is supplied to 5,800 staff including offices in Caernarfon, Aberystwyth and Swansea.

Figures obtained by the Welsh Conservatives showed the subsidy cost taxpayers £1.37m in the past four years.

Shadow finance minister Nick Ramsay AM said: "At a time when many hardworking people have had their pay frozen, a 61% hike in meal subsidies for Carwyn Jones, other Welsh Labour ministers and staff will stick in the throat."

This is a far higher standard of food than you will find at any Welsh hospital, where budgets, beds and facilities are being cut.

Aren't Welsh Tories allowed to eat in the subsidised canteens?
  • Options
    Financier said:

I bet it is pig swill in comparison to the trough at Westminster. Your hatred of all things Welsh reminds of another prat except she hates Scotland in a similar way. For a Tory to be wittering about hardworking people is the biggest joke in there.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Plenty of hot air present already it would appear.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

LOL, very droll
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Bolt is entitled to his view.

The standard of play won't generally be at Olympic level but are a few exceptions. The Kenyans in the middle distance running for example. And I'm sure the rugby sevens will be world standard with all the best teams competing.

Some years the World Athletics Championships don't measure up to the Olympics.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Didn't Gord try to bring in a "death tax" a few years ago?

• Options

Financier said:

Aren't Welsh Tories allowed to eat in the subsidised canteens?
    Welsh Tories, like all other Tories, are always right about everything. Everyone else, except the odd Scot Nat, should be boiled in oil. If only this were done, England (if not Wales) would be the earthly paradise, and leaders of nations all over the world would ask if they could pay zillions to become English colonies...
  • Options

Those people are wrong.

I've always said, look at the general trend of polling.

In Westminster VI Polls, Labour will be the largest party/have a majority on current polling and have bet accordingly, but that's a different position from two years ago, when Labour had double digit leads.

On the Indyref all the polls show No winning if the referendum was this Thursday, but the trend generally has been a narrowing of No's lead over the last two years.

I suspect time will run out for Yes this time to overhaul that lead.

I've not commented on Scotland and I won't now.

As far as Westminster is concerned, we has the London poll on Monday with the split 45-35-8-8. Now those numbers mask what is really going on and fortunately we have the London local election data as a backup.

The LDs currently have seven seats in London - on the straight line UNS figures you'd expect them to be wiped out but looking at the local election data tells a different story. Even a prominent Carshalton Tory who posts on here has conceded that Tom Brake will survive and I suspect Paul Burstow will as well and with Simon Hughes and Vince Cable it's a case of how strong the personal vote might or might not be.

The Conservatives could lose ten seats if Labour's strong performance in the local contests is mirrored next May.
  • Options
    Usain Bolt spells it out.
    He reportedly said the Commonwealth Games were "a bit s***" before leaving the site to "do some business."
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    felix said:

BenM said:
    Hardly - a very minor confusion over the difference between mean and median - but on both measures the figures are an improvement on Labour. how are things going in NHS Wales?
    Not an improvement at all Sir Andrew, in effect, dismisses the relevance of "time to assessment" in A&E - a benchmark used by both the Prime Minister and Mr Hunt.

He says that the "most complete" account of waiting times is time to departure rather than first assessment.

On that basis median waits are up from 122 minutes to 128
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

For most people 12 Great British Pounds are a lot of money.

Good article by Farage on the phony immigration crackdown. Great points about the cost of in work benefits, infrastructure and housing our unwanted guests from the rest of the world impose on us.
  • Options
    JackW said:

The range in the nine McARSE projections since the new year has been pretty narrow :

18 Jan - 62/38
    18 Feb - 64/36
    18 Mar - 60/40
    17 Apr - 59/41
    20 May - 61/39
    18 Jun - 61/39
    01 Jul - 62/38
    15 Jul - 63/37
    29 Jul - 63/37

Thanks for the summary; I had not kept such detailed notes.

It would be good to have a decisive result rather than a 49/51 that will cause a lot of rancour. I think the turnout estimation may be a bit high though.

I am not sure what more can be said that would shift votes. It seems that every issue has been thrashed to death, resurrected, then thrashed again ad nauseum.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TGOHF said:

Bolt - Hamstring recovery
    Blake - Hamstring (Out)
    Nesta Carter - ?
    Michael Frater - ?

So far as I can tell the fact Jamaica chose Nickel Ashmeade & Kemar Bailey-Cole over Nesta Carter tells me that basically they treat the event as a junior/blooding event - unless his form has dipped significantly or he has an injury at the moment. Michael Frater although in the 4 x 100m relay team was not in the 2013 World Athletic Champs final.

Asafa Powell is of course on a drugs ban. I think Dwayne Chambers is banned for England though he'd have not have gone under 10.00.

And what happened to James Dasaolu ?!
  • Options

JackW said:

18 Jan - 62/38
    18 Feb - 64/36
    18 Mar - 60/40
    17 Apr - 59/41
    20 May - 61/39
    18 Jun - 61/39
    01 Jul - 62/38
    15 Jul - 63/37
    29 Jul - 63/37

It would be good to have a decisive result rather than a 49/51 that will cause a lot of rancour. I think the turnout estimation may be a bit high though.
    Even a 60/40 vote (either way) will leave a lasting legacy of bitterness and anger for the losing side. 40% will lose their country unwillingly or 40% fail to get one as they hoped. Imagine what MalcolmG will have to say the morning after a NO!
  • Options
    Ebola: apparently a chap's being tested in Hong Kong.

The sort-of city-state is, of course, immensely densely populated.

I'm surprised the outbreak isn't getting more coverage given it's up to 90% mortality rate and high degree of infectiousness, particularly compared with SARS and the like, which was wildly overblown.
  • Options

Yes, but he lost exactly as the polls said he was, it was a triumph for the polling organisations

Except Gallup.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

TSE, I just do not believe the polls have a clue on this. It is not like a normal vote and no-one knows how it will go , but for sure I believe it will be tight. Personally I find that pathetic and hard to believe that should ever be in doubt but it does seem that plenty of people are so institutionalised that they are too sacred to make their own decisions. I believe enough will see that YES is the only hope for a better Scotland rather than accept continual decline under Westminster.
    We shall see soon.
    7 weeks until we find out.

• Options
    Not sure I'll have the time (trying to get two large works and a smaller one in some sort of shape this year), but if I do I might try 'war-gaming' the latter half of the season.

Early betting thought on Monza is Williams to top score. The track's basically a collection of straight lines, and the Williams has the highest top speed. That said, I've made the bet twice before and neither time came off. I'll wait and see how things look, but it's something I'm thinking of.
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Plenty of hot air present already it would appear.
    Not so droll
  • Options
    Patrick said:

JackW said:

18 Jan - 62/38
    18 Feb - 64/36
    18 Mar - 60/40
    17 Apr - 59/41
    20 May - 61/39
    18 Jun - 61/39
    01 Jul - 62/38
    15 Jul - 63/37
    29 Jul - 63/37

Even a 60/40 vote (either way) will leave a lasting legacy of bitterness and anger for the losing side. 40% will lose their country unwillingly or 40% fail to get one as they hoped. Imagine what MalcolmG will have to say the morning after a NO!
    Patrick, Luckily we will never need to worry about that.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Ebola: apparently a chap's being tested in Hong Kong.

The sort-of city-state is, of course, immensely densely populated.

I'm surprised the outbreak isn't getting more coverage given it's up to 90% mortality rate and high degree of infectiousness, particularly compared with SARS and the like, which was wildly overblown.

Mr. D., You might find this article interesting, seems this Ebola outbreak maybe affecting more people because it is actually less deadly than previous ones.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100281820/the-curse-of-ebola/
This discussion has been closed.