Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Even though it is well over four years since it was in powe

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,488
    TOPPING said:

Michael Johnson is the best ex-participant presenter the BBC has ever hired. Him and John McEnroe.

Agreed.

I'm sure it won't last long :).

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Sean_F said:

The government at the time of the financial crash happened to be Labour.In other parts of the world hit at the time were of many political persuasions but all of them were stuck in the neo-liberal version of capitalism,which would have been much worse under the Tories because they were demanding even less light-touch regulation than Gordon Brown.This started in the UK with Mrs Thatcher and her Big Bang and continued under Blair and Brown.However,when the crash hit I thank the heavens Gordon Brown,who proved very capable,rather than George Osborne,was the man in charge.
    The Tories have been allowed to rewrite history and will have borrowed,with LibDem help, more in 5 years than Labour did in 13.
    It was greedy bankers who caused the problem and they must pay with a Robin Hood Tax to help the poor.

How did the "Big Bang" (abolishing the distinction between Brokers and Jobbers) have any bearing on the financial crash of 2008?

It gave bankers too much freedom.People's behaviour needs regulating espesciallyin risk taking situations with other peoples' money money,some of which is mine.It has to be pay back time for the bankers.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @holyroodmandy: As we enter the final stages of #indyref join @HolyroodDaily & its newly launched referendum site. Join the debate. http://t.co/2E4uK76AzS
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Scott_P said:

May I make it quite clear all my future comments relate exclusively to the part of the UK that is below Hadrian's Wall.

A fairly small patch of Northumbrian rock?
    Not quite,it includes Northern Ireland,Wales and England.You must be referring to different wall,perhaps to the North?

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,928
    I don't really see how I can claim for mis-selling of PPI when I actually benefited from PPI when I was made redundant in 2012.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,061
    Good evening, everyone.

F1: Rosberg has questioned the safety car's timing (namely it emerged after he and about three other cars had passed the pits, disadvantaging the leading cars):
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28545304

Got to say I think that's legitimate. He pitted at the first opportunity, had a clean stop, and a 9s lead from 1st became 4th place.

In unhappy news, the ex-Caterham staff suing the team are now being counter-sued for allegedly misrepresenting the truth:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28546567
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,997
    New Thread
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,067
    On the banks - before the crisis hit I naively thought that in a capitalist system, where people are trying to make as much money as possible - well...

If you are a banker - lets call him "Ted the Shed" and you took lots of risks, and they came off you could give yourself a £100 million bonus, a yacht and a dozen young ladies in the Bahamas.

And if you took big risks, they didn't come off and you bust the bank then you should end up destitute and penniless. And if you've taken cash from people who believe it is basically safe with yourselves and gamble it all away then add 20 years inside as well.

Big risks, big rewards.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Cyclefree said:

You are right that there was a lot of misselling. And where people are deceived those doing the deceiving should be held responsible.

But you also touch upon a point which has been less remarked on. People also bought. Adults did so. They could and should have read what they were buying.

Up to a point. I once joined a company whose pension advisers were selling guaranteed income if a staff member fell ill. The adviser sent me a strongly-worded standard letter saying that I'd surely want to take this superb offer.

I quite like reading small print, because I'm allergic to being had, and discovered a clause which completely ruled me out from benefiting, for a reason that the adviser will have been aware of. I frostily pointed it out, and got an abject apology. Then, a year later, I discovered that the company pension fund was predicting double the benefit that it was really offering (they were double-counting contributions). Feeling a bit of a troublemaker, I pointed this out too, and got another apology and corrected statements for everyone in the company.

I'm prepared to believe that both were accidental errors, and I took no further action. But out of idle curiosity, could/should I have done anything, given that I'm not aware of anyone who lost by it?

Your priorities are all wrong., You politicians as a group should be handing over all your massively over generous pensions to those like me who will have a reduced pension for life due to several Govts incompetence and mismanagement of Pension Company legislation.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Cyclefree said:

You are right that there was a lot of misselling. And where people are deceived those doing the deceiving should be held responsible.

But you also touch upon a point which has been less remarked on. People also bought. Adults did so. They could and should have read what they were buying.

Up to a point. I once joined a company whose pension advisers were selling guaranteed income if a staff member fell ill. The adviser sent me a strongly-worded standard letter saying that I'd surely want to take this superb offer.

I quite like reading small print, because I'm allergic to being had, and discovered a clause which completely ruled me out from benefiting, for a reason that the adviser will have been aware of. I frostily pointed it out, and got an abject apology. Then, a year later, I discovered that the company pension fund was predicting double the benefit that it was really offering (they were double-counting contributions). Feeling a bit of a troublemaker, I pointed this out too, and got another apology and corrected statements for everyone in the company.

I'm prepared to believe that both were accidental errors, and I took no further action. But out of idle curiosity, could/should I have done anything, given that I'm not aware of anyone who lost by it?

Your priorities are all wrong., You politicians as a group should be handing over all your massively over generous pensions to those like me who will have a reduced pension for life due to several Govts incompetence and mismanagement of Pension Company legislation.
    Oh and all those with pre 97 service get no increases at all on that part of their pension. We were stuffed. The compensation was never enough.
This discussion has been closed.