Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Austria, Serbia and George W Bush

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Austria, Serbia and George W Bush

Sepia-toned silent images of black-coated or feather-hatted diplomats lend a reassuring distance to the events that plunged the world into war a hundred years ago this week.  It looks like a world long since vanished and in one sense, it is.  However, like much of that story, it is an illusion; all the more dangerous for the complacency that false reassurance breeds.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Have a great day and I'm sure all PBers will send you their best wishes. Best of luck to both of you.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Glad to see you started such a momentous day with a post on PB. Nice to see the priorities are in order ;-)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Good morning, everyone & congratulations David!

Back off to bask in the late evening sun :)
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Getting married? That's relatively insignificant compared with the real news! Even more exciting is that Google has got a Google doodle today especially for me!
  • Options
    Charles said:

Are you on the other side of the pond too?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

Out in SoCal - try to come here every summer for a few weeks.

Where are you?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Where are you?
    Sweltering out in Phoenix, Arizona! I should be moving to California, but further up north in the Bay area.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Where are you?
    Sweltering out in Phoenix, Arizona! I should be moving to California, but further up north in the Bay area.
    Poor you - the ocean breezes make it bearable.

Let me know if you plan to swing through Laguna at some point.

I'll be doing a swing through the mid west in late August, but don't make it up to Bay area until early January
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Where are you?
    Poor you - the ocean breezes make it bearable.

Let me know if you plan to swing through Laguna at some point.

I'll be doing a swing through the mid west in late August, but don't make it up to Bay area until early January
    The only body of water near here is an artificial lake they built! I shall do, and have fun, the desert is a beautiful place!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    Hello from Sag Harbor, NY :-)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmh.

69oF in Sag Harbor

79oF in Laguna

:-)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmh.

69oF in Sag Harbor

79oF in Laguna

That will be the three hour time difference... It's comfortably in the high 70s every day here...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmh.

69oF in Sag Harbor

79oF in Laguna

That will be the three hour time difference... It's comfortably in the high 70s every day here...
    It's uncomfortably in the high 110s here ;-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmh.

69oF in Sag Harbor

79oF in Laguna

Air con?

FWIW, I have a day trip to NYC in mid August, which is brutal at that time of year.
  • Options
    David - very best wishes to you both on this your special day!
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited July 2014
    Best wishes to David Herdson on the occasion of his marriage.

"Terrorism" is a particularly slippery word, and it is accordingly loved by authoritarian governments throughout the world. The fact is that the British government has been sponsoring terrorism (within the meaning of s. 1 of the Terrorism Act 2000) in Syria, and in several other foreign jurisdictions. This article appears to imply that Mr al-Assad would have the right to promote régime change in London as a result. If history teaches us anything, it is that language should be used with precision.
  • Options
    Charles said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmh.

69oF in Sag Harbor

79oF in Laguna

Air con?

FWIW, I have a day trip to NYC in mid August, which is brutal at that time of year.
    Yep, I swear my office is kept at 55. I'm surprised clouds don't form when you open the door to go outside!
  • Options
    Congrats on you special day!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Good morning all. Congratulations to David and his better half on their nuptials.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    First of all, David, congratulations and best wishes to you both.

However, surely the significant difference between 1914 and the early 21st C is that although the original trigger in 1914 is held to be the assassination of the Archduke and there is no doubt that Serbia had a heavy responsibility, there’s equally no doubt that Saddam Hussein, whatever his other faults and vices, had nothing whatsoever to do with the Twin Towers.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Congratulations David!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Warmest congratulations to one of PB's finest and to his bride to be.

Mrs JackW and I wish you both the greatest joy of the day and many happy years in the future.

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    JackW said:

Mrs JackW and I wish you both the greatest joy of the day and many happy years in the future.

I second that. (Must never miss an opportunity to agree with Jack, either - they don't come round that often...)
  • Options

JackW said:

I second that. (Must never miss an opportunity to agree with Jack, either - they don't come round that often...)
    I would ask supporters (however fair weather) not to clog up the thread with peons of praise to moi.

Thank you.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Congratulations, Mr. Herdson. Very cunning to get married today, means you won't miss the race tomorrow.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2014
    David, I just want to send the warmest congratulations to both you and your wonderful Bride to be on your special day from both myself and Fitaloon. Don't be too nervous, just enjoy this wonderful moment at the start of the biggest chapter of your life. xx

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014
    ***** Footy Betting Post *****

Just three weeks to go before the start of the new Premier League season and I'm wondering whether it will prove to be a case of second season syndrome and the drop for Crystal Palace?
    This time last year they were hot favourities at 1/2 or even shorter to be relegated ...... odds which appeared fully justified during the first part of the season when they were plumb bottom by some distance. Their subsequent recovery to escape with consummate ease under new manager Tony Pulis was nothing short of miraculous.
    That said, I expect them to struggle again this season and to finish in the bottom 6, and although not favourites to go down, I would rate their chances of surviving at no greater than 60% or putting that an other way, 6/4 against relegation.
    Those nice people at Betfair currently have them on offer at 4.2 for the drop, equivalent to just over 3/1 net in old money and therefore twice the odds I believe they should be.
    Decent value therefore imho, but do your own research.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 904
    Many congratulations David. My big day also - selected for Lutterworth 4th XI - a lot of holidays at the moment.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Congratulations, Mr. Herdson. Very cunning to get married today, means you won't miss the race tomorrow.

Speaking of which Morris, I've backed Raikkonen for a Podium Finish at 16/1 with Boylesports.
    A case of pigs might fly I know, but he likes this circuit and his luck has to change sooner or later. Also, these are big odds, twice those being offered by another bookie I could mention.
    Obviously I don't expect to collect, but then you never know.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Congratulations David. I wish you and your bride to be every happiness.

On Iraq, I get the argument that justified the invasion: 9/11 changed everything in terms of managing self defence and foreign policy risk. If people were prepared to fly planes into buildings, killing thousands, what might a man who had already gassed his own citizens and invaded Kuwait be prepared to do? Saddam did not get this and assumed he could carry on playing games as normal. I am not sure the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was of the same order. It posed no existentialist threat, only one of authority.

On Iraq, though; in retrospect it is clear Saddam was never a serious threat to the world order, too many American hawks saw the invasion as an opportunity rather than as a last resort, planning was woeful, corners were cut, lies were told and resources were never properly allocated. The post-invasion planning element - or, more precisely, the abject failures surrounding it - was most crucial. If that had been done properly (and there is no reason why it could not have been) history would be far kinder to Bush and Blair than it has been.
  • Options
    [On topic post]
    One other point is that with the pace of technological change, the top brass are anxious to test their new kit every 10 years or so. I know it's a poor excuse for killing people (remember the Belgrano) but at least it keeps the psycho vote on-side.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, got to say that's not a bet I'd recommend. The Ferrari is worse than the Williams and Red Bulls and may also be behind McLaren.

If you think the real odds (if you know what I mean) are shorter then it's value and makes sense. Doesn't tempt me.

Astounded by Raikkonen's poor performance this year. My mind goes back to our spread discussions. I think we both agreed on Raikkonen scoring more than X amount (140?). Apart from Maldonado scoring under 60 (almost guaranteed now) it was practically the only thing we agreed on.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Just three weeks to go before the start of the new Premier League season and I'm wondering whether it will prove to be a case of second season syndrome and the drop for Crystal Palace?
    This time last year they were hot favourities at 1/2 or even shorter to be relegated ...... odds which appeared fully justified during the first part of the season when they were plumb bottom by some distance. Their subsequent recovery to escape with consummate ease under new manager Tony Pulis was nothing short of miraculous.
    That said, I expect them to struggle again this season and to finish in the bottom 6, and although not favourites to go down, I would rate their chances of surviving at no greater than 60% or putting that an other way, 6/4 against relegation.
    Those nice people at Betfair currently have them on offer at 4.2 for the drop, equivalent to just over 3/1 net in old money and therefore twice the odds I believe they should be.

Pulis did brilliantly at Stoke with similar resources over a sustained period. Southampton look a big worry to me - they are selling players left, right and centre, and have a new manager with no PL experience. The three promoted clubs are also bound to be vulnerable. And there's always Villa ...

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Excellent article - well done David - and congratulations and best wishes for a happy day and many happy years to come.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Congratulations David.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good Morning, and hearty congrats to David and his bride. Good article but hope David had time for his stag party.

Let's all hope that 2014 doesn't reprise 1914.
  • Options
    By the way, the Death Match is now a spectacular mess:

http://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play.php?game_id=79131
  • Options

Pulis did brilliantly at Stoke with similar resources over a sustained period. Southampton look a big worry to me - they are selling players left, right and centre, and have a new manager with no PL experience. The three promoted clubs are also bound to be vulnerable. And there's always Villa ...

I totally agree with you as regards Southampton - it's almost as though they have a death wish.
    Villa will survive.
  • Options
    Mr. Palmer, link doesn't work unless you're a game member...
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

[On topic post]
    One other point is that with the pace of technological change, the top brass are anxious to test their new kit every 10 years or so. I know it's a poor excuse for killing people (remember the Belgrano) but at least it keeps the psycho vote on-side.

Is that a serious comment? If so how does the use of WW 2 technology support your argument?
  • Options
    Why does the BBC feel it necessary (or indeed justified) to impose FIFTEEN HOURS from 9.00am until midnight of virtually uninterrupted coverage of the so-called Commonwealth Games, thereby monopolising their flagship channel with what is distinctly minority interest TV ?

Yawn!!!!
  • Options
    Pat Condell ‏@patcondell 23m
    Israel’s reward for giving up Gaza for the sake of peace. An underground infrastructure for permanent war. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4550063,00.html

An article that shows how all the money that Hamas did receive from their allies was geared for war and the destruction of Israel.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Best wishes to you and the future Mrs Herdson, have a sun drenched day !
  • Options
    saddened said:

[On topic post]

Is that a serious comment? If so how does the use of WW 2 technology support your argument?
    Were we commissioning WW2 submarines in the 1970s? (It's not my field, really: there'll be people here who'll know a lot more about it than I do.)

My comment didn't apply only to us Brits.

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Congratulations Mr Herdson! I trust your coalition will last for many parliaments to come.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2014
    Congratulation David and best wishes to you and your bride on this very special day. Enjoy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Why does the BBC feel it necessary (or indeed justified) to impose FIFTEEN HOURS from 9.00am until midnight of virtually uninterrupted coverage of the so-called Commonwealth Games, thereby monopolising their flagship channel with what is distinctly minority interest TV ?

Yawn!!!!

Maybe because it is a major event , by far the biggest in the UK and so poor that it is only 15 hours.
  • Options
    Hopefully we'll see a number of PB lurkers de-lurking today in order to add their own congratulations to David and his bride on their big day.
    Second only to OGH, David has been the mainstay of this site for many years and is deserving of everyone's very best wishes.
  • Options

Hopefully we'll see a number of PB lurkers de-lurking today in order to add their own congratulations to David and his bride on their big day.
    Second only to OGH, David has been the mainstay of this site for many years and is deserving of everyone's very best wishes.

Indeed so.

Perhaps the Prime Minister should de-lurk for a moment or two in between giving weighty consideration to a peerage for JohnO.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Yawn!!!!

Maybe because it is a major event , by far the biggest in the UK and so poor that it is only 15 hours.
    You're obviously a fan, most of us aren't and would prefer to be offered more choice. If the BBC must opt for such saturated coverage, it should have been shifted to a minority channel.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Congratulations David..wise move.I tied the knot,again, three weeks ago, after twenty years of negotiation...so far so good.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Enjoy your last day of freedom,David,congratulations.I haven't spotted this here yet but the UKIP candidate in winnable Great Yarmouth has stood down but who will replace him?

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/great_yarmouth_ukip_contender_matthew_smith_steps_down_could_leader_nigel_farage_enter_the_fray_1_3701104
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited July 2014
    JackW said:

Indeed so.

Perhaps the Prime Minister should de-lurk for a moment or two in between giving weighty consideration to a peerage for JohnO.

And Baron Hersham also sends very best wishes for the future to David and his bride
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited July 2014
    David, every blessing for today and your life ahead together. The weather today should be kind for you both.

An intriguing point on marriages today, do you endow her with all your worldly goods and in exchange do you get a promise of obedience?

Thank you for your intriguing piece - had never thought of making that comparison. It does illustrate that the results of actions/decisions made at the time often to not come to fruition until years later - also a study of history can provide useful guidelines for decision-makers.

Regarding IRAQ2, it was apparent to most (except Bush & Blair) that the lid could only be kept on the various religious factions of IRAQ by an almost ruthless dictator. Removing that lid has led to an almost insoluble problems that causes misery and death and mutilation for thousands.

Similarly, on the effect of decisions made decades previously, the NHS born in 1948, did not envisage either immigration on recent scales including |EU freedom of residence, longer living or replacement organ/bone surgery and so that policy may require some modification to cope with these changes.

• Options
    JohnO said:

JackW said:

Indeed so.

And the future Baron Hersham also sends very best wishes for the future to David and his bride
    OMG .... what a foxes par ....

The PM is already married ....

There goes the peerage ....

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Congratulations to you and your new wife David
  • Options

Mr. Palmer, link doesn't work unless you're a game member...

Sorry about that. If you go to http://www.playdiplomacy.com/games.php and seek out the game 79131 PB Death Match 2014 I think you can watch. There are four players left and we've all stabbed each other over the last couple of turns. I think.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Congratulations. Hope you have a great day !

In regard to your article, I do think that the world will become even more unstable, unless there is significant progress in finding new sources of cheap energy, reliable/cheap provision of food, water and shelter. Poverty is going to be a main driver in some people wanting to commit terrorism and crime. It is not the only factor, but if people are living in miserable conditions, it may be easier for them to be recruited.

If the world can work harder in ensuring that wealth is shared out a bit more equally and to support governments run secure democracies, then we have a chance. But if we just watch these problems go on from a distance, eventually it will get nearer to our shores, in the form of more and more immigration, worse security risks and civil unrest. What happens elsewhere in the world has a massive effect on how much we pay for most commodities.

• Options
    Completely OT

Whilst London had a wet afternoon yesterday, took the opportunity to take my 7 year-old granddaughter around the Houses of Parliament.

Whilst of British parents, she was born and lived all her life in Spain and to my surprise knew and recognised all the wives of Henry 8 - all their portraits in one of the chambers. She is already quad-lingual (English, Spanish, Catalan and French) and it led me to wonder how many of UK pupils ever know as much about Spanish history or ever attain those linguistic skills. (She goes to a normal state school and not a private or international school).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    hucks67 said:

Congratulations. Hope you have a great day !

In regard to your article, I do think that the world will become even more unstable, unless there is significant progress in finding new sources of cheap energy, reliable/cheap provision of food, water and shelter. Poverty is going to be a main driver in some people wanting to commit terrorism and crime. It is not the only factor, but if people are living in miserable conditions, it may be easier for them to be recruited.

If the world can work harder in ensuring that wealth is shared out a bit more equally and to support governments run secure democracies, then we have a chance. But if we just watch these problems go on from a distance, eventually it will get nearer to our shores, in the form of more and more immigration, worse security risks and civil unrest. What happens elsewhere in the world has a massive effect on how much we pay for most commodities.

Congrats to the happy couple!

I think that the 1914 analogy only goes so far. The main actors in July 14 were all wanting war, with the UK probably the exception. The French and Austrians wanted to avenge their losses in 1870 and 1866, and the Russians their defeat by Japan in 05 and sieze Constantinople. The Germans wanted to defeat Russia before it modernised. All had leaders who wanted to wage aggressive wars of territory.

Modern leaders are not so aggressive, knowing wars are expensive and unpopular, and conquered territory hard to subdue. Modern terrorists, even when state sponsored, are in place of war not the justification. I accept that all does not run to plan...
  • Options
    Financier said:

Completely OT

Whilst London had a wet afternoon yesterday, took the opportunity to take my 7 year-old granddaughter around the Houses of Parliament.

Whilst of British parents, she was born and lived all her life in Spain and to my surprise knew and recognised all the wives of Henry 8 - all their portraits in one of the chambers. She is already quad-lingual (English, Spanish, Catalan and French) and it led me to wonder how many of UK pupils ever know as much about Spanish history or ever attain those linguistic skills. (She goes to a normal state school and not a private or international school).

Your granddaughter clearly has exceptional parents and teachers. She is also self-evidently exceptionally bright.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Completely OT

European history (even the origins of WW1 and 2) are pretty poorly taught in the UK, and other important European events ignored. No wonder we so often fail to understand European aspirations and policy. Domestic history matters but international issues are more significant than poorly informed social history taught by roleplay.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    All the best to the soon-to-be Mr & Mrs Herdieboi.

As for Austria being a 'great power' in 1914: You have got to be kidding, right? Prussia had gained dominance over the [former] Holy Roman Empire 48-years earlier; Italy had unified in 1870; and those bl00dy southern-slavs, well....
  • Options

All the best to the soon-to-be Mr & Mrs Herdieboi.

As for Austria being a 'great power' in 1914: You have got to be kidding, right? Prussia had gained dominance over the [former] Holy Roman Empire 48-years earlier; Italy had unified in 1870; and those bl00dy southern-slavs, well....

The lesson is that crumbling empires lash out.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Yawn!!!!

You're obviously a fan, most of us aren't and would prefer to be offered more choice. If the BBC must opt for such saturated coverage, it should have been shifted to a minority channel.
    You can get all you want on the minority channels , where minority viewing is. Most of the licence payers are interested in the Commonwealth games.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Completely OT

I have heard many delusional blowhards in my day but you take the biscuit.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Yawn!!!!

You can get all you want on the minority channels , where minority viewing is. Most of the licence payers are interested in the Commonwealth games.
    No they are not; especially if they are broadcast from Scotland!
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,823
    Congratulations David! Hope you have a great day.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    Congratulations, David. I hope you have a great day, and a long and joyous union.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Congratulations to David and his partner.

WW1 was in the main about territorial expansion. This relates to the current Ukraine crisis, less so to the middle east which is more about tribal wars.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Yawn!!!!

No they are not; especially if they are broadcast from Scotland!
    Ha Ha , what a wag, I am splitting my sides.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

If you were recently listening to 5 Live's coverage of the rhythmic gymnastics, you would know the limitations of sport on the radio. Sadly, the BBC do not - they were reduced to detailed coverage of the leotards - and how the hoops were taped to colour-co-ordinate.

Give it a rest.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    David, every best wish for today - and every day of married life beyond.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Congratulations David - have a wonderful day and days ahead.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Congratulations, Mr. Dodd.

Just tuned into practice coverage. Beginning to think I should add Tom Clarkson to the space cannon list.

Edited extra bit: a street race on the streets, apparently, in Azerbaijan. I wonder if he's related to Legard.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    I think after 9/11 was launched from Afghanistan an invasion of that country was inevitable, just as after the assassination of Franz Ferdinand an invasion of Serbia was inevitable. Where the problems started was when that became an excuse to declare war on other nations, Russia on Austria, Germany on Russia and Belgium etc or George W on Iraq which were totally unconnected to the original reasons for going to war other than settling old feuds.

Anyway, hope you have a wonderful wedding day, looks like you have picked the perfect time weather wise!
  • Options
    Apologies to Tom Clarkson (although he's still annoying), it's some random chap called Jack Nicholls doing commentary. Think half the F1 team are over in Glasgow.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    A tiny taste of what will happen should Islam take hold of power in Europe.
    This is what SISI did to Jonah's Tomb; and that was holy site to another strand of Islam. Can you imagine what they would do to most of the great churches of Christendom: the few they don't destroy they'll turn into mosques.

And don't think that other strand of Islam would be any different.

http://rt.com/news/175636-iraq-jonah-tomb-mosul/
  • Options

Financier said:

Completely OT

Your granddaughter clearly has exceptional parents and teachers. She is also self-evidently exceptionally bright.
    Given what we know of 25% of her genes it’s not altogether surprising she’s bright! And I agree about the paucity of information about Europe in English (anyway) schools. For my part, until my late 60’s all I knew about Spain was that a) Columbus had sailed from there b) they’d tried to invade us when Eliz 1st was queen and been defeated by Drake (or something like that) and c) that in the 30’s they’d put into power a nasty friend for Hitler’s, who’d fortunately stayed neutral during the war. I’m not sure how much more my children know even now, although one is a regular visitor there as part of his employment.
  • Options
    F1: small chance of a shower in qualifying, but higher chance of thundery downpours tomorrow during the race.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Completely OT

I have heard many delusional blowhards in my day but you take the biscuit.
    And you are just a sad, lonely and nasty old man
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    All the very best David to you and your bride today and for the future.
  • Options
    Mr. G, that's quite uncalled for.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    MarqueeMark,

Sports coverage on the BBC is going to get worse.

"But the MPs warn that much more needs to be done to increase media coverage and attract wider industry sponsorship (for women)... The report says media organisations fail to engage fully in women's sport."

Now that's probably true, I hardly ever watch women's sport (beach volleyball excepted), but that's my choice. I don't tend to watch events for seniors either because they end not to be so good. Yes, I'm an elitist. But then I didn't moan when no one watched me try to play rugby.

Yesterday, I switched off when Radio 5 Live commentators went into raptures about bowls! What next? Orgasms over a good tiddley wink shot?

By all means, encourage girl's sport at school - it's healthy and good for the nation. But don't flood the BBC channels with Micky Mouse stuff in the interests of diversity.

I
  • Options
    And in more important news, congratulations to David.
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, saw that story earlier, and basically agree with you.
  • Options
    To be fair to ISIS ....... why??? ........ anyway this atrocity is comparable with the destruction of pre-Reformation church art in the 16th Century. I was once told that it had been estimated that 97% of English (and Welsh and Scottish) mediaeval (and possible pre-mediaeval) religious art was sacrificied to religious fanaticism during that period.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer,

While you're about ... I've started reading "Bane of Souls" and it's good reading so far. Especially as I'm not a real fan of fantasy. Having spent all my career in science, I prefer things I can explain.

I noticed one of your reviewers said the story benefited from not having too much gratuitous sex and violence. Hmm ... yes, but that's the only reason I finished the George Martin books. He does do gratuitous sex and violence, and the GOT series didn't spare it either.

Anyway, so far it's worth all of the 77p I paid, and I'm fussy.

Well done.

The Honor series will follow.
  • Options
    Betting Post

It'll take me a little while to write up my piece, but I know the tip, so here it is:
    Backed Rosberg for pole at 3.6, hedged at 1.6.

It's a two-horse race, he finished P3 less than half a tenth behind Hamilton. Hamilton is favourite, but it's marginal. Plus, the laps are capable of delivering multiple hot laps so it's entirely possible the session will see-saw between the two of them.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Congrats David and the soon to be Mrs Herdson. Hope you have a nice day.
  • Options
    Mr. CD13, delighted you're enjoying it so far :)

I actually prefer, as a rule, reading grimdark (as it's become known). Martin, Abercrombie and Lynch are some of my favourite authors. But when it comes to writing, that's just not my style. A bit of levity not only helps add contrast for the darker moments, it also makes things more credible, I think.

For the magic, I tried to focus on a mechanical(ish) approach, describing what happens more in physical terms rather than 'he felt the power well within his soul' etc. And if you're not into that you should definitely read Journey to Altmortis (happens in the Kuhrland, where practically no-one has magic).

F1: about an hour and a half to qualifying. Not expecting anything too dramatic, aside from the private duel for pole. Rain tomorrow could make things more unpredictable, and perhaps help Vettel, Bottas, Button and Hulkenberg.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited July 2014
    Talking of weddings, I've been reading this;

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/25/-sp-rupert-murdoch-passive-power-hack-attack-nick-davies

It's an extract from the soon to be published "Hack Attack"

It's not the sort of thing I'd normally be interested in, but the extract focuses around the lovely Rebekah Brook's wedding. The first part in particular is quite a fun read:

"But, for the most part, it is not the amiable Charlie who catches the eye in this gathering. His bride captures far more attention. Rebekah is beautiful, with her red hair falling in crazy corkscrews around her elfin face. She is also charming – really quite famous (among this power elite) for her ability to make anybody feel that she is their special friend, that she is part of their team, always ready with a favour, always willing to confide. She is particularly good with men, her fingers resting gently on their forearm and her gaze resting direct on their eyes. Not quite sexual, not quite romantic, but so intimate that a well married, conservative kind of man, several decades older than her, reflects that sometimes he finds himself sighing and wondering whether “maybe, if things had been a little different, maybe we would have been together”.

This is Rebekah who was so close to Tony Blair when he was prime minister that Downing Street aides recall Blair’s wife, Cherie, finding her in their flat and hissing privately: “Is she still here? When is she going?”; Rebekah who then effortlessly transferred her affection to the next prime minister, Blair’s great political rival, Gordon Brown, who showed his own affection for her by allowing his official country residence, Chequers, to be used one night the previous summer for an all-girls pyjama party and sleepover to mark her 40th birthday; Rebekah who now spends her weekends swapping canapes and gossip with Brown’s newest political rival, David Cameron, who could possibly be prime minister within a year, and who is said to sign off his notes to her with the words “Love, Dave”. Everybody (who is anybody) is Rebekah’s friend.

And she will break as well as make: she is famous not only for her charm but also for her tornado-like temper. Some at the Sun remember the morning she woke up to discover that the rival Daily Mirror had beaten them to a particular story, and how she expressed her feelings by walking into the office and targeting the news desk with a well aimed missile, hastily identified as a heavy glass ashtray. One of the guests at this wedding, who has been close to her for years, says that here in Oxfordshire Rebekah is a country wife, riding horses and organising shooting parties, but in London, where the real transactions take place, she is “the beating heart of the Devil”..."

What a woman! :D
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Congratulations David (and to your intended, too)! Best wishes for a fantastic day.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    Fantastic article David, and HUGE congratulations to you and your wife to be. Terrific news!
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Gin1138
    'What a woman! :D '

Yes but what a load of tittle tattle drivel you have just quoted. Cherie 'hissed privately to Blair' ?? so how come somebody can quote it? Equally what I find amazingly shocking is that a bride should try to look her best on her wedding day. Can't think why.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    GIN1138 said:

Talking of weddings, I've been reading this;

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/25/-sp-rupert-murdoch-passive-power-hack-attack-nick-davies

It's an extract from the soon to be published "Hack Attack"

It's not the sort of thing I'd normally be interested in, but the extract focuses around the lovely Rebekah Brook's wedding. The first part in particular is quite a fun read:

"But, for the most part, .....

,...... maybe we would have been together”.

This is Rebekah who was so close to Tony Blair when he was prime minister that Downing Street aides recall Blair’s wife, Cherie, finding her in their flat and hissing privately: “Is she still here? When is she going?”; Rebekah who then effortlessly transferred her affection to the next prime minister, Blair’s great political rival, Gordon Brown, who showed his own affection for her by allowing his official country residence, Chequers, to be used one night the previous summer for an all-girls pyjama party and sleepover to mark her 40th birthday; Rebekah who now spends her weekends swapping canapes and gossip with Brown’s newest political rival, David Cameron, who could possibly be prime minister within a year, and who is said to sign off his notes to her with the words “Love, Dave”. Everybody (who is anybody) is Rebekah’s friend.

And she will break as well as make: she is famous not only for her charm but also for her tornado-like temper. Some at the Sun remember the morning she woke up to discover that the rival Daily Mirror had beaten them to a particular story, and how she expressed her feelings by walking into the office and targeting the news desk with a well aimed missile, hastily identified as a heavy glass ashtray. One of the guests at this wedding, who has been close to her for years, says that here in Oxfordshire Rebekah is a country wife, riding horses and organising shooting parties, but in London, where the real transactions take place, she is “the beating heart of the Devil”..."

What a woman! :D

"This is Rebekah who was so close to Tony Blair when he was prime minister that Downing Street aides recall Blair’s wife, Cherie, finding her in their flat and hissing privately: “Is she still here? When is she going?”; Rebekah who then effortlessly transferred her affection to the next prime minister, Blair’s great political rival, Gordon Brown, who showed his own affection for her by allowing his official country residence, Chequers, to be used one night the previous summer for an all-girls pyjama party and sleepover to mark her 40th birthday; Rebekah who now spends her weekends swapping canapes and gossip with Brown’s newest political rival, David Cameron, who could possibly be prime minister within a year, and who is said to sign off his notes to her with the words “Love, Dave”. Everybody (who is anybody) is Rebekah’s friend."

Smooooooz operator and weak men ! Does she have Ed's number ?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Lack of commitment to politicalbetting.com by Herdson today. :)

He says
    "Indeed, when George W Bush had to respond to the Twin Towers attacks, he was placed in a very similar position to the Austrians after the assassination of Franz Ferdinand."

In fact the Twin Towers attack was primarily linked to Saudi Arabia and had no links to Iraq. There was no justification to attack Iraq because of 9/11.

George Bush and Tony Blair (who admits now but denied at the time) wanted regime change in Iraq and used WMD and terrorism as the pretext. Sadly they were not capable of thinking through the consequences.

Incidentally the Liberal Democrats should be given credit for being out of line and opposing the Iraq war in parliament. So as with the decision to join the coalition, Lib Dems can make the right decision for the country but fail to be appreciated by the populace. Nobody claims life is fair.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Congrats David ! Please take some time off and find out if there are any polls coming out tonight. I am sure your new wife would not mind.
This discussion has been closed.