Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukip sheds 4% and the Tories move up by 3% in the latest Po

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ukip sheds 4% and the Tories move up by 3% in the latest Populus online poll

What will really please the Tories is that, like ICM last week, the UKIP drop has been accompanied by a rise in the CON share, It holds out hope that the Tories could move into the lead even though LAB stays constant.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    First again!
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Lab 337
    Con 273
    Lib 15

Ed Miliband Prime Minister, majority of 24
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Never has there been a stronger 9% in the history of polling than this 9% for UKIP here.

Populus finds 273 UKIPpers on 18th - 20th July out of 2035 people polled

Populus finds 276 UKIPpers on 23rd - 24th July out of 2070 people polled.

That is a decrease from 13% to 9% apparently.

Populus' algorithms and weighting for UKIP is going to need some serious review after GE2015.

What did they do in February btw ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    To quote Rowan Atkinson's sketch on Songs of Praise/Not The Nine O'Clock News: up and down like a whore's drawers.

FPT: Mr. Lennon, the Caspian Grand Prix sounds good. Nothing wrong with calling it the Azerbaijini[sp] Grand Prix either.

The European Grand Prix used to be used in Germany and Spain when those countries had two.
  • Options

To quote Rowan Atkinson's sketch on Songs of Praise/Not The Nine O'Clock News: up and down like a whore's drawers.

The raw UKIP score is remarkably consistent with the one earlier in the week though. UKIP has not suddenly lost 4% here.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, I was thinking more of the Conservatives: down every Monday, up every Friday.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I see there is an "identical twin" in thought and deed on the site this pm
  • Options
    Certainties to vote look similiar too. 74 / 78% 10/10, similiar for the rest. Trying to work out where the downweighting has come from in the week.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Ed's speech was clearly to cheer his own core supporters and a line to take against the weird attacks... that was is it. Nothing more ambitious than that.

It was the same as not Flash just Gordon and reminds me when we were told Michael Foot's policies were what mattered not the leader's lack of PR-style.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Scrapheap_as_was
    Is this a "General Election, or Big Brother"?
  • Options
    Mr. Smarmeron, it's clearly not big brother ;)
  • Options
    The amusing thing is - the more people answer

Q.4 Regardless of which party, if any, you are likely to end up voting for at the next General Election due in May 2015 or are leaning towards at the moment, which political party would you say you have usually most closely identified yourself with?

With UKIP,

The lower UKIP's headline score will be with Populus.

Monday poll 200 -> 81

Friday poll 244 -> 83

Unless their February methodology revision changed this but I don't see any evidence in the tables...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Ed's speech was clearly to cheer his own core supporters and a line to take against the weird attacks... that was is it. Nothing more ambitious than that.

...and failed on both counts.

The line to take is especially good. Ed would rather fly to America for a photo with the Prez than debate Ukraine and Gaza

No substance, or style
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Ed cannot get away from two things. His looks and his voice. He does looks like Wallace (id est very weird)and when he speaks people reach for the off button.
    This is an attempt to nullify these two bad points. It will fail.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer
    "it's clearly not big brother"
    Yes that's the "Drips bill".....we don't get a vote on that. :-)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    t was the same as not Flash just Gordon and reminds me when we were told Michael Foot's policies were what mattered not the leader's lack of PR-style.

It was Foot's policies that defeated him. Widespread nationalisation and unilateral nuclear disarmament to name but two.

He came across as a very nice man though. I remember watching a programme on TV on Swift and being astounded that he was one of the experts speaking.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    taffys said:

t was the same as not Flash just Gordon and reminds me when we were told Michael Foot's policies were what mattered not the leader's lack of PR-style.

It was Foot's policies that defeated him. Widespread nationalisation and unilateral nuclear disarmament to name but two.

He came across as a very nice man though. I remember watching a programme on TV on Swift and being astounded that he was one of the experts speaking.

Foot suffered as much with the extreme left in his party. Many people shied away from that, not just him
  • Options
    The SAS is on standby to land in Ukraine, Gaza crumbles and the IMF gives the UK a gold star for economic performance; but, look over there, Ed’s got something to say about the political-media nexus!

Miliband’s war on photo-ops is utterly laughable given that it came just days after he flew half-way round the world to pose for a picture with President Obama at a pointless meeting.

The Labour leader wonders why he gets a hard time. It’s a matter of credibility, far more than the fact that he’s a bit of a dork.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/07/image-is-the-least-of-eds-worries/
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Miliband has to find a way to appear as if he could lead this country on the world stage. This speech does nothing to address that.

His decision to chase a photo with Obama rather than speaking in the Commons about the Ukraine situation speaks volumes as to the priority he puts on image over substance.

I have never, and probably never will, be able to picture Miliband standing outside No10 speaking for this nation.

And until he can find a way of convincing enough people that this is something of which he is capable, his fate is the same as that of Foot and Kinnock.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    I don't think Ed is particularly odd, by the standards of politicians, and it's not an issue for me in any case in determining my vote.

But if he's going to play the "I don't care about spin" card then, for God's sake, don't hire spin doctors, don't do daft photo shoots and don't be so pathetic in your attempts to be seen with the US President. (Personally I'd prefer our politicians to stand up for Britain rather than endlessly seeking to be patted on the head by the US.)
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Is the missing 1% on the change graph UKIP supporters dying off?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The amusing thing is - the more people answer

Q.4 Regardless of which party, if any, you are likely to end up voting for at the next General Election due in May 2015 or are leaning towards at the moment, which political party would you say you have usually most closely identified yourself with?

With UKIP,

The lower UKIP's headline score will be with Populus.

Monday poll 200 -> 81

Friday poll 244 -> 83

Unless their February methodology revision changed this but I don't see any evidence in the tables...

Well, you don't weight to the numbers reporting their vote, that's tautological. You weight to other factors (age, sex, location etc.)
  • Options

Is the missing 1% on the change graph UKIP supporters dying off?

I've had a look at the data tables and think the UKIP score is fundamentally unchanged. The shark has well and truly been jumped with the weighting on this one.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Miliband has to find a way to appear as if he could lead this country on the world stage. This speech does nothing to address that.

His decision to chase a photo with Obama rather than speaking in the Commons about the Ukraine situation speaks volumes as to the priority he puts on image over substance.

I have never, and probably never will, be able to picture Miliband standing outside No10 speaking for this nation.

And until he can find a way of convincing enough people that this is something of which he is capable, his fate is the same as that of Foot and Kinnock.

What practical stuff could he have done about Ukraine ? Britain's policy is to talk about sanctions as long as the City of London is not involved.

They don't want to upset the Russian mafia !
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

It was the same as not Flash just Gordon and reminds me when we were told Michael Foot's policies were what mattered not the leader's lack of PR-style.

If there were truth in advertising it should have been "not Flash, just utterly crazed by partisan hatred of the tories". Which doesn't have the same ring, I grant you.

I know a lot of people say that Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister. Sadly, they're wrong...may the good Lord have mercy on our collective souls.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

Ed cannot get away from two things. His looks and his voice. He does looks like Wallace (id est very weird)and when he speaks people reach for the off button.
    This is an attempt to nullify these two bad points. It will fail.

He sounds like a whinger
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @Tissue_Price If Populus is correct then to achieve a sample so overstuffed with UKIP voters relative to the population as a whole is a remarkable feat of statistics in my book.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Tissue_Price If Populus is correct then to achieve a sample so overstuffed with UKIP voters relative to the population as a whole is a remarkable feat of statistics in my book.

Given it's an online panel, the feat is probably UKIP's.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    FPT, James Bond. For a start, we disagree about the overall level of UKIP support next year. You think 5%, I think 9-10%.

I don't expect to see UKIP's support rise by 6-7% in every seat. Obviously, they won't push up their vote share by that amount in Northern Ireland, Scotland, the Welsh Valleys, Welsh-speaking Wales. I think the party will underperform markedly in most of London, university seats, and the more prosperous Conservative-voting seats.

Therefore, the party must out-perform its national increase in other areas. Local and European elections give us an idea of which seats those will be.
  • Options
    *_____________*

David Tredinnick said he had spent 20 years studying astrology and healthcare and was convinced it could work.

The MP for Bosworth, a member of the health committee and the science and technology committee, said he was not afraid of ridicule or abuse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28464009

• Options
    @Pulpstar
    That might be why TSE had to wait this morning? Rechecking the figures?
  • Options
    @Pulpstar
    What is his prediction for the election results next year? ;-)
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Pulpstar said:

*_____________*

David Tredinnick said he had spent 20 years studying astrology and healthcare and was convinced it could work.

The MP for Bosworth, a member of the health committee and the science and technology committee, said he was not afraid of ridicule or abuse.

Given that MP's elect members to sub-committees can we call for a vote of no confidence in MP's in general for rank incompetence / dereliction of duty?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    surbiton said:

What practical stuff could he have done about Ukraine ? Britain's policy is to talk about sanctions as long as the City of London is not involved.

It is about being seen to do the right thing.

If Cameron had disappeared off for a photoshoot with a foreign leader - Miliband would have been first to call it a disgrace.

Miliband went off to get his photo taken with Obama rather than standing up in the Commons to be part of the public political condemnation of events in Ukraine.

It is not about being practical - but it is about playing your role as Leader of the Opposition, and that includes taking part in important moments like the statement on Monday.

He cared more about his own image than standing up as someone who aspires to being a statesman.

Being PM takes a lot more than fan-girling Obama.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

Indeed - Populus can probably barely believe the headline figures themselves from the unweighteds themselves.

I'd be astounded if UKIP don't rise on the Monday poll with Populus. They are overstuffed with UKIP people, but UKIP haven't lost 4% in a week with them.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

Dunno, he'll be doing private polling for Dan Hodges, and has his ear on the ground in Doncaster for Mark Senior though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

*_____________*

500 years ago, astrology was regarded as a vital part of medical science.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

Indeed - Populus can probably barely believe the headline figures themselves from the unweighteds themselves.

I'd be astounded if UKIP don't rise on the Monday poll with Populus. They are overstuffed with UKIP people, but UKIP haven't lost 4% in a week with them.
    Looking at the two data tables, Populus have had to downweight men and older people more today than on Monday, which would disproportionately affect UKIP.

That said, I don't think UKIP have truly lost 4% either, and would expect them to rise on Monday too to nearer their true value. All every poll should do is refine our estimate of the true value, not substitute the latest value in its place.
  • Options
    So to summarise:
    Ed Miliband is a geek who looks like Wallace, talks like a sort of Adrian Mole with adenoids, espouses an Hollande-style economy wrecking agenda, regularly apologises for all his 'posing with the Sun' type screw-ups, can't seem to do anything normal people do such as eat or sit or smile for photos in a non-creepy way and is widely regarded as his enemy's best asset. Who got to this exalted position by shafting his brother and cosying up to the unions.

Apart from that the man rocks! And is apparently very nice and not at all Ed Milibandish in person.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

I think you just get these odd results from time to time. I didn't believe TNS giving UKIP 23%.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Broken, sleazy UKIP on the slide?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

*_____________*

500 years ago, astrology was regarded as a vital part of medical science.

What an absolute quack. If I were living in his constituency I would not be voting for him at the next election!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

*_____________*

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of" -Adam Ant.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

The Sunil on Sunday's Mystic Smeg may have a new rival :)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Pulpstar said:

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

Looking at the two data tables, Populus have had to downweight men and older people more today than on Monday, which would disproportionately affect UKIP.

That said, I don't think UKIP have truly lost 4% either, and would expect them to rise on Monday too to nearer their true value. All every poll should do is refine our estimate of the true value, not substitute the latest value in its place.
    Maybe they never really gained the 4% earlier - dissecting minutiae of the polls you don't like is a mug's game and shrieks of sour grapes.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Broken, sleazy UKIP on the slide?

NO

• Options
    @RobD
    Of course, they did go back to using leeches and maggots not to long ago?
    Medically bred maggots, not from lack of cleanliness. before the usual suspects start!
  • Options
    felix said:

Pulpstar said:

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

Maybe they never really gained the 4% earlier - dissecting minutiae of the polls you don't like is a mug's game and shrieks of sour grapes.
    I have to call it as I see it, and this one has some serious voodoo going on in the UKIP weighting.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@RobD
    Of course, they did go back to using leeches and maggots not to long ago?
    Medically bred maggots, not from lack of cleanliness. before the usual suspects start!

Yes, I am far more convinced that a leech can do something, as opposed to the position of the planets in the heavens.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

What is the prediction of Mystic Smeg ?

I can add it to the list.
  • Options
    Hmm. Astrology's crackers.

On the other hand, so's homeopathy, and that gets funding. And I like the Chinese Zodiac story.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    On the Populus poll:

Michael Heaver ‏@Michael_Heaver 35m
    @MSmithsonPB @PopulusPolls You should do a chart on how they round UKIP down from 244 to 83 whilst all other parties remain roughly same
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Well, half the population is on a lunar month cycle...
  • Options

On the other hand, so's homeopathy, and that gets funding. And I like the Chinese Zodiac story.

Ugh homeopathy. It's literally water.
  • Options
    @RobD
    Apparently water has "memory".
    You find this out when you point out the mathematics of dilution.
  • Options
    Mr. PAW, nonsense. The highest estimates have the werewolf population at 7%.

Mr. D, not literally. There's a teeny-tiny percentage of something else.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Well, half the population is on a lunar month cycle...

The length of that cycle can very significantly, and has absolutely nothing to do with the moon. To quote wikipedia:
    A meta-analysis of studies from 1996 showed no correlation between the human menstrual cycle and the lunar cycle.[87][88][89][90][91][92] Dogon villagers did not have electric lighting and spent most nights outdoors, talking and sleeping; so they were an ideal population for detecting a lunar influence; none, however, was found.[93]
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    There must be a @LordAshcroft poll of key LAB target of Bedford coming up. My wife has just been phone polled
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @Morris_Dancer
    apparently not?
    http://bipedalia.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/running-the-numbers-on-homeopathic-dilution/
    (at least as the "active ingredient" is involved)
  • Options
    Hodgetastic on here this afternoon!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

He was derelict in his duty as leader of her majesty's opposition on a day a commons statement was made by the PM on the death of British nationals and a fast declining world situation, so that he could have a photo taken.
    4 days later he decried photo op politics.
    Unfit for office. QED.
  • Options

Mr. PAW, nonsense. The highest estimates have the werewolf population at 7%.

Mr. D, not literally. There's a teeny-tiny percentage of something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilutions

Read the section about "problems of homeopathic dilutions" it gets especially amusing for the most potent concentration 200C. And I am not even going to start about water memory. A load of bollocks.
  • Options
    I'm not sure these ad hom attacks and smear tactics from the Tories won't backfire.

Those who are well disposed towards Miliband and Labour might simply recoil yet further from the Nasty Party.

In a similar way to the more you suggest a UKIP voter might be a tad prejudiced, the more furiously they carve their X in the ballot paper.
  • Options

There must be a @LordAshcroft poll of key LAB target of Bedford coming up. My wife has just been phone polled

Bedford Woman love the Tory
  • Options
    Hugh said:

I'm not sure these ad hom attacks and smear tactics from the Tories won't backfire.

Those who are well disposed towards Miliband and Labour might simply recoil yet further from the Nasty Party.

In a similar way to the more you suggest a UKIP voter might be a tad prejudiced, the more furiously they carve their X in the ballot paper.

Oh Hugh, you are trying so hard. I hope someone appreciates it.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Politics 101. When your leader screws up, call everything playing the man not the ball.
    And then have a photo taken with a ball.
  • Options
    I see the UKIP Are taking the Brian Blessed as Richard IV in Blackadder stance.
    'I like not this poll, bring me fresh polls!'
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Hugh said:

Oh Hugh, you are trying so hard. I hope someone appreciates it.
    ROFL
  • Options
    @dyedwoolie
    "Would your Majesty like them cooked or raw?"
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Patrick said:

So to summarise:
    Ed Miliband is a geek who looks like Wallace, talks like a sort of Adrian Mole with adenoids, espouses an Hollande-style economy wrecking agenda, regularly apologises for all his 'posing with the Sun' type screw-ups, can't seem to do anything normal people do such as eat or sit or smile for photos in a non-creepy way and is widely regarded as his enemy's best asset. Who got to this exalted position by shafting his brother and cosying up to the unions.

Apart from that the man rocks! And is apparently very nice and not at all Ed Milibandish in person.

And of all those the most bizarre is the The Sun episode. To pose with it then apologise for it can be the product of no rational thought process plus is super-insulting to all parties involved.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I see the UKIP Are taking the Brian Blessed as Richard IV in Blackadder stance.
    'I like not this poll, bring me fresh polls!'

Maybe the population are all on holiday, and having had a good time in Portugal, Spain and Greece are thinking what lovely places they are, not the bogeyman of Farages feverish nightmares.

A few tapas and cervejas? Lovely Jubbly!
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie

Kippers must declare war and send up the Farage balloons. Give them back their 4%!
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie

Kippers must declare war and send up the Farage balloons. Give them back their 4%!
    It'll be back soon enough.
  • Options
    The Kipper percentage is a red herring.
    (I'll go get my Sou'wester shall I?)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    In the CON-LAB battleground there is very little movement.
    That's not true.

In the Populus table Labour pick up a net 45 voters from the Lib Dems, once you take off the voters the Tories also gain from the Lib Dems. The Tories lose a net 60 voters to UKIP, once you take off the voters that Labour also loses to UKIP - because it is the Tory-Labour difference that matters.

Labour win a net 13 voters from the Conservatives, but because these voters are simultaneously lost from the Conservatives and gained by Labour they count double in the electoral arithmetic and so are worth 26.

Thus of the total "gain" of voters by Labour of 131 votes almost 20% are in the Con-Lab battleground. In some recent polls this has been higher, about six months ago it was pretty close to zero, and after the Omnishambles budget it was about 50%.

There has been plenty of movement there, but if you only look at the gross movements and not the net effect then you can get a skewed view of how important it is.
  • Options

That's not true.

In the Populus table Labour pick up a net 45 voters from the Lib Dems, once you take off the voters the Tories also gain from the Lib Dems. The Tories lose a net 60 voters to UKIP, once you take off the voters that Labour also loses to UKIP - because it is the Tory-Labour difference that matters.

Labour win a net 13 voters from the Conservatives, but because these voters are simultaneously lost from the Conservatives and gained by Labour they count double in the electoral arithmetic and so are worth 26.

Thus of the total "gain" of voters by Labour of 131 votes almost 20% are in the Con-Lab battleground. In some recent polls this has been higher, about six months ago it was pretty close to zero, and after the Omnishambles budget it was about 50%.

There has been plenty of movement there, but if you only look at the gross movements and not the net effect then you can get a skewed view of how important it is.

I note you can look into polls well my good friend :)

Any chance you can work out the headline figures of the Populus poll without the Q4 weightings ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

Where's Finbar Saunders when you need him?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Smarmeron said:

The Kipper percentage is a red herring.
    (I'll go get my Sou'wester shall I?)

Don't come the raw prawn!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    Smarmeron said:

@RobD
    Apparently water has "memory".
    You find this out when you point out the mathematics of dilution.

Quackery. If people want to take water pills fine but let's not waste public money on it.

The amount of money spent on homeopathy may be small in the context of the NHS budget but it could do some good being spent on mental health care, say, for the young and - I speak with real experience - there are real problems to be addressed.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

That's not true.

I note you can look into polls well my good friend :)

Any chance you can work out the headline figures of the Populus poll without the Q4 weightings ?It cannot be done without making one assumption that is very possibly not safe - and even then it would be difficult.

My guess is it would be very different.

One point I should make on large weightings. I criticised the Ashcroft Poll several times in the first weeks for massively under-polling C2 voters, and so having to double their responses with weighting, and in the last few Ashcroft Polls they've managed to find enough C2 voters in their original sample that the weightings have been vastly smaller.

No idea what - if anything - they have done differently, but it makes the poll more robust.

Populus should worry about the hilarious UKIP downweighting in their polls, and find some way to fix it.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Homeopathic remedies might well have a medical effect actually, if they weren't diluted so much. Like an aspirin, you can dissolve it in water once and then drink it ^_~

Mind you I think that is called "medicine"
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, but surely we can beat cancer if we only dilute the drugs enough?!
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Don't knock Astrology, it's got a better forecasting reputation than Economics!

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Strange that Populus see's the Tories going up in the week and down at weekends.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Pulpstar said:

Homeopathic remedies might well have a medical effect actually, if they weren't diluted so much. Like an aspirin, you can dissolve it in water once and then drink it ^_~

I think people are fooled both by the placebo effect of just taking the pills, plus the word "dilution". If you talk about dilution the normal understanding is to dissolve a tablet or make a squash, therefore homoeopathy feels like a bit more dilution will still produce an effect.

In practice the dilution levels are so ridiculously higher, that they are hard to grasp. Perhaps instead of being diluted we should use the word "eviscerated", "obliterated", or "annihilated" - and maybe it would be clearer.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    Perhaps EdM should take a leaf out of DC's bible (oops, sorry I didn't mean Tony Blair's Journey) and hire a photographer to go round taking pictures of him hugging Huskies and Hoodies. Or even having a cup of coffee with Justine in an Italian cafe, or a pint of cider on a Cornish sea side pub. Or outside a Cornish hospital the day after travelling down from London with his highly pregnant wife (and, of course, after breakfast) to show off his new baby.

We want to see pictures of our leaders taking every advantage to show themselves off, even if it means the wife gets an epidural by appointment. However, I suspect Justine would probably tell Ed where to go if he suggested that one.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Strange that Populus see's the Tories going up in the week and down at weekends.

Difference between online and telephone?
  • Options
    Oh. Mike - you've linked to the previous Populus poll, not today's.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    FPT:

Populus is down for UKIP due to a reduction by 5% of 2010C to UKIP switchers compared with the average this year. There is a lower switch to UKIP from the other parties as well but not as material as that.

No consistent evidence for such a reduction in C switchers in previous Populus polls, so may well be normal polling statistical variation.

The last time Populus had UKIP on 9 was on their poll 2/2/14 (last date of polling). However that was the last poll under their previous polling methodology which had UKIP significantly lower, so it is not directly comparable.

So 9% for UKIP is their lowest for Populus under current methodology.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I think people are fooled both by the placebo effect of just taking the pills, plus the word "dilution". If you talk about dilution the normal understanding is to dissolve a tablet or make a squash, therefore homoeopathy feels like a bit more dilution will still produce an effect.

In practice the dilution levels are so ridiculously higher, that they are hard to grasp. Perhaps instead of being diluted we should use the word "eviscerated", "obliterated", or "annihilated" - and maybe it would be clearer.
    It should be called water, and the ingredients on the back should say "Water (100%)".
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited July 2014
    Edin_Rokz said:

Perhaps EdM should take a leaf out of DC's bible (oops, sorry I didn't mean Tony Blair's Journey) and hire a photographer to go round taking pictures of him hugging Huskies and Hoodies. Or even having a cup of coffee with Justine in an Italian cafe, or a pint of cider on a Cornish sea side pub. Or outside a Cornish hospital the day after travelling down from London with his highly pregnant wife (and, of course, after breakfast) to show off his new baby.

We want to see pictures of our leaders taking every advantage to show themselves off, even if it means the wife gets an epidural by appointment. However, I suspect Justine would probably tell Ed where to go if he suggested that one.

Nah keep to the bacon butties. I've a feeling this 'Weirdo' tag is going to stick even more than 'Something of the night' did to Michael Howard. He's a goner.

This is the point when I treat all opinion polls with a fistful of salt until September. Holiday season means I trust them very little, even though the Conservative movement looks very welcome.
  • Options
    The big change between the two polls is that 244 people told Populus in today's poll that they closely identify with UKIP and in the poll earlier in the week 200 people did so.

The raw, completely unweighted, figures for UKIP are almost identical in the two samples [up to 276 from 273].

The assumption made by Populus is that people answer this question in a reliable and invariant way, and so what happened is that more UKIP supporters answered their poll. If, instead, some of the people who would previously tell Populus that they identify with the Tories/Labour, but would now vote UKIP, have decided that they actually "usually identify" with UKIP - representing a firming of UKIP support - then Populus will downweight them more and reduce the UKIP poll score!
  • Options

Nah keep to the bacon butties. I've a feeling this 'Weirdo' tag is going to stick even more than 'Something of the night' did to Michael Howard. He's a goner.

The message is amazing

"I can't win. Vote for me"

Um...
  • Options

The big change between the two polls is that 244 people told Populus in today's poll that they closely identify with UKIP and in the poll earlier in the week 200 people did so.

The raw, completely unweighted, figures for UKIP are almost identical in the two samples [up to 276 from 273].

The assumption made by Populus is that people answer this question in a reliable and invariant way, and so what happened is that more UKIP supporters answered their poll. If, instead, some of the people who would previously tell Populus that they identify with the Tories/Labour, but would now vote UKIP, have decided that they actually "usually identify" with UKIP - representing a firming of UKIP support - then Populus will downweight them more and reduce the UKIP poll score!

Question 4 of Populus is comedy Gold, especially when you have a party that is fast on the rise such as UKIP in the mix.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

She reckons:
    Lab 310
    Con 286
    LD 26
    UKIP 2
    Nats 8
    NI 18
  • Options

If the firming up continues Populus will head below ICM who whilst being at the same result as Populus for UKIP (At the moment) look to be much more methodologically sound.

I note Populus adjusted the baseline from 1% to 4% in February. That should help them get closer than they otherwise would have done but it's going to go horribly wrong for them if they get a surge in UKIP "identifiers" near the General Election time.

I've reached precisely the same conclusions as yourself on this poll - one for the bin so far as UKIP score is concerned.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Smarmeron said:

@Pulpstar

She reckons:
    Lab 310
    Con 286
    LD 26
    UKIP 2
    Nats 8
    NI 18
    Quite pessimistic for the Nats - no gains for the SNP ?

Shadsy is 6-5 on 6.5 unders if you fancy it, I'm on the other side of that bet @ 4-6 for a ton.
  • Options
    "Judge 'concerned' Andy Coulson still at Belmarsh"
    Odd? There are plenty of prison places so it shouldn't need a Judge to inform the governor surely?
  • Options
    This is the sort of thing Ed would not do

@Number10gov: The PM & Deputy PM visited @PentlandBrands today as @ONS stats show GDP is up 0.8% #LongTermEconomicPlan http://t.co/SYCgcr30H3

Visiting successful British companies promoting UK business and record economic growth.

Oh, wait...
This discussion has been closed.