Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Concern about the economy continues its dramatic collapse –

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Concern about the economy continues its dramatic collapse – but that could mean it’ll be less of an issue at GE2015

All the economic indicators in recent months have been positive for the coalition and this is picked up in the July Ipsos-MORI Issues Index where concern about the economy has continued its sharp and quite dramatic fall.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Ungrateful bastards ....

Titter ....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    It is the natural order of things - Labour wrecks the economy, the Tories fix it to the point that the voters feel comfortable letting Labour run wild with it again. Some things never change ;-)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

It is the natural order of things - Labour wrecks the economy, the Tories fix it to the point that the voters feel comfortable letting Labour run wild with it again. Some things never change ;-)

Yes. Exactly. That. Like button..
    End of thread - unless we talk about other stuff.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,706
    How did the Tunnocks Tea Cakes Commonwealth Opening Barrowman Snog Ceremony go? In foreign parts so just picking up snippets from friend's Facebook feeds....

On topic, ungrateful voters may well face buyer's remorse.....
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Voters don't do gratitude but they might be worried enough not to let Loony Labour screw up the economy again. Dave has to hope that is true.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    The voters may not do gratitude, but shrewd voters also know which brand they trust to deliver economic competence.... :) At the end of the day, I doubt the voters were ever going to show any gratitude when it came to economic austerity, but they also still blame the last Labour Government for causing it.

On topic, ungrateful voters may well face buyer's remorse.....

• Options
    I think this suggests that a good dose of economic scaremongering from Dave and a strong message on 'we're still not out of the woods and we'd be insane to let those muppets screw it all up again' will be a sound plan.

Perhaps the PB lefties can remind me: Why do people vote Labour? What are they for?
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited July 2014
    Dodgy examples to use Mike.

1997 was never going to work for the Tories, actually 'because' of the economy. Black Wednesday screwed the Conservatives on the key economic trust indicators for the best part of a generation. Don't believe me? Checkout the opinion polls for the 12 months after the 1992 Black Wednesday debacle and watch the long slide. The rest of that parliament didn't exactly help either as sleaze took over. The irony that being ejected from the ERM probably led to the economic recovery was lost on most of us. The sight of Norman Lamont outside the treasury on Wednesday 22nd September began a meme that is still etched in some people's minds.

1945 really is scraping the barrel because there were multiple other sociological factors at work connected to war, comradeship and the evangelical efforts of the left both at home and among the troops. It's a silly example to use.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Some classic comments already this morning.

Anyone would think Mike writes these threads just to troll the PB Tories.

Like shooting fish in a barrel for the big man.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

1997 was never going to work for the Tories, actually 'because' of the economy. Black Wednesday screwed the Conservatives on the key economic trust indicators for the best part of a generation. Don't believe me? Checkout the opinion polls for the 12 months after the 1992 Black Wednesday debacle and watch the long slide. The rest of that parliament didn't exactly help either as sleaze took over. The irony that being ejected from the ERM probably led to the economic recovery was lost on most of us. The sight of Norman Lamont outside the treasury on Wednesday 22nd September standing on a drain began a meme that is still etched in some people's minds.

1945 really is scraping the barrel because there were multiple other sociological factors at work connected to war, comradeship and the evangelical efforts of the left both at home and among the troops. It's a silly example to use.

One of my abiding memories
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Come now Boba, we can have a bit of fun this early in the morning. ;-)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Come now Boba, we can have a bit of fun this early in the morning. ;-)

LOL indeed. Hope all are well this merry morn :)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Gratitude? No.
    Fear? Yes.
    Anger? Yes.
    Hope? Maybe.
  • Options
    You can have a lavish welfare state (for a while) or you can have security in a dangerous world:

http://www.realclearworld.com/articles/2014/07/23/exposing_the_weakness_of_the_us_and_europe_110653.html

Very nice article. I have no doubt which I'd prefer and also that probably my preference is a minority view - at least that's what opinion polls suggest. How depressing.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Yeahbut the Tories are ahead with the Gold Standard.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Cyclefree said:
    the cost of Ed Balls incompetence
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Am currently staying in London at younger son's house - very near chez SeanT.

Do not most voters vote tribally rather than logically?
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Blue_rog said:

1997 was never going to work for the Tories, actually 'because' of the economy. Black Wednesday screwed the Conservatives on the key economic trust indicators for the best part of a generation. Don't believe me? Checkout the opinion polls for the 12 months after the 1992 Black Wednesday debacle and watch the long slide. The rest of that parliament didn't exactly help either as sleaze took over. The irony that being ejected from the ERM probably led to the economic recovery was lost on most of us. The sight of Norman Lamont outside the treasury on Wednesday 22nd September standing on a drain began a meme that is still etched in some people's minds.

Haha I'd forgotten he was standing on a drain!

Glad to see that Tim, I mean Bob, is contributing so eruditely to the debate.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    RobD said:

I think the "partly to blame, not learned, might do it again" question as asked by a pollster sums it up quite well; I'm sure voters will retain some memory of that as they walk (with a spring in their step) to the polls next year.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Yes, but it's that fraction of voters who are not tribal, and so might vote for either party, that most concern us - if they live in the Middle England Towns and Their Hinterlands.

So the fact that most voters are tribal is irrelevant, unless one party or another has a structural demographic advantage in their numbers - as might be the case currently in the US with the Democrats over the Republicans.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Also, it's not a divide between tribal voters and logical voters, but a divide between voters with deep-seated political emotions and those with superficial* political emotions.

Very few voters decide logically.

* Not superficial as in not important, but superficial as in on the surface.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    The economy was always going to bounce back and because the UK had a sharper dip, it has seen better growth than other countries. But the UK economy has only just got back to where it was in 2007, prior to the banking crash. Some of the growth is related to the housing market, which has more of an effect in the UK.

Both Labour and Tories always claim that their policies are responsible for growth when the economy is doing well, but in reality I am not sure government has much to do with it.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Why should voters be grateful to govt? The last five years have been hard work. The reason the economy is better owes more to the work of ordinary people than govt.

If anything govt should be grateful to us.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Why should voters be grateful to govt? The last five years have been hard work. The reason the economy is better owes more to the work of ordinary people than govt.

If anything govt should be grateful to us.

Ungrateful government bastards ....

Titter ....

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    The total of people who (a) feel the economy was in unusually bad shape in 2010 (i.e. not just part of a world recession) AND (b) feel it's recovered unusually well AND (c) give Osborne the credit and/or that Labour would mess it up AND (d) feel it's the decisive issue AND (e) were not going to vote Tory anyway is not zero but it's small. Partisans see it all through different spectacles, floating voters aren't sure on one of these points or have other preoccupations.

The main doubts among floating voters who care are (b) and (c) - they tend to feel things are now sort of OK, though not great, but that they're not getting a fair share of the recovery and that Labour might be more helpful in that.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Tim?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    BobaFett said:

Blue_rog said:

Tim?
    I think she meant tim.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Good news lefties - you just about got away with ruining the economy - well apart from the 2010 GE...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: very interesting piece on Alonso potentially leaving Ferrari:
    http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/waiting-for-fernando/

"Fernando can pretty much name his price at the moment and, as I hear it, last weekend in Germany was pretty significant as Fernando’s contract has a clause in it that says that he is free to leave his team if it is not in the top three in the Constructors’ Championship."
  • Options

The total of people who (a) feel the economy was in unusually bad shape in 2010 (i.e. not just part of a world recession) AND (b) feel it's recovered unusually well AND (c) give Osborne the credit and/or that Labour would mess it up AND (d) feel it's the decisive issue AND (e) were not going to vote Tory anyway is not zero but it's small. Partisans see it all through different spectacles, floating voters aren't sure on one of these points or have other preoccupations.

The main doubts among floating voters who care are (b) and (c) - they tend to feel things are now sort of OK, though not great, but that they're not getting a fair share of the recovery and that Labour might be more helpful in that.

You wish they felt that. Or you are not hearing what they are telling you in Broxtowe or, more likely, the only people you actually engage in when canvassing are those sympathetic (the rest are usually too busy to give the time of day to the oppo at the doorway, as you well know).

Most people realise that Labour was "partly to blame" and that we were in a pretty bad way, with people queuing round the block 'cos they thought their bank was going to collapse and they wouldn't be able to get their money back. Plus they had mountains of personal debt.

Most people realise that GB spunked a ton of money up the wall for no (productivity) gain in the state sector and that at some point that would have to stop with the accompanying contraction. Further, during Lab's time the "self-certifying mortgage" emerged, offers of easy credit came through the letterbox with pizza delivery leaflets, and, although he gave the BoE independence, GB then promptly changed the basis upon which they were able to act to reduce the private debt and mortgage explosion by means of a CPI/RPI bait and switch.

And most people fear, rightly, that Lab might do it all over again, Nick.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Neil said:

BobaFett said:

Blue_rog said:

Tim?
    I think she meant tim.
    Bob = tim x 1/1,000,000

Yet to see a coherent, passionate, learned, enlightened (if you are a lefty) point made by him.

Edit: no offence, Boba....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Neil said:

BobaFett said:

Blue_rog said:

Tim?
    I think she meant tim.
    Bob = tim x 1/1,000,000

Yet to see a coherent, passionate, learned, enlightened (if you are a lefty) point made by him.

Thanks
  • Options
    Labour wants levy on sports betting, apparently:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28457108
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @wallaceme: RT @BBCBusiness: Labour considers sport betting levy http://t.co/ZjyucWhtTF < every little joy, Labour want to tax
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

TOPPING said:

Neil said:

BobaFett said:

Blue_rog said:

Tim?
    I think she meant tim.
    Bob = tim x 1/1,000,000

Thanks
    That was harsh actually, apologies.

tim was a phenomenon and he knew his onions; god knows what else he did but he was on top of just about everything politically that happened before, during and after. Not always right, often wrong but always engaging.

Most of the rest of us, left and right, simply articulate our own prejudices with the odd bit of factual knowledge behind it (housing starts, GDP, 5-yr swap rates, whatever).

The thing that unfloats my boat, however, is what I call "meta-commentators". ie those who only comment on other people's comments without anything substantive opinion- or fact-wise. Sometimes IMVVVHO you can stray into the meta-commentator category. Not that it should concern you a tuppeny f*ck what I think.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The economy may be getting less attention from voters now, but will it last?
    Sorry to put a damper on Mikes thread but some think the horizon is far from rosy:

The Spectator ‏@spectator 33m
    The warning signs of a new credit crunch; in the global stock markets, red indicators are flashing says @LiamHalligan http://specc.ie/1pIwJ7Q
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    I think most ordinary people think nothing of the sort, Topping, which is unfortunate for you and your ilk. The general view from the streets is that lax regulation enabled the city to go on an orgy of debt leverage, during which they spunked about five years of the country's future into a black hole, the bill for which was picked up by the taxpayer with the perps getting off pretty much scot free. This gave an administration that was ostensibly weak, cover to pursue a radical agenda for cutting service delivery for which they had little mandate, and for which the consequences are being felt by ordinary people as they see unfettered development, closures of libraries and public toilets and withdrawal of other services that make a difference to their day to day lives.
  • Options

I think most ordinary people think nothing of the sort, Topping, which is unfortunate for you and your ilk. The general view from the streets is that lax regulation enabled the city to go on an orgy of debt leverage, during which they spunked about five years of the country's future into a black hole, the bill for which was picked up by the taxpayer with the perps getting off pretty much scot free. This gave an administration that was ostensibly weak, cover to pursue a radical agenda for cutting service delivery for which they had little mandate, and for which the consequences are being felt by ordinary people as they see unfettered development, closures of libraries and public toilets and withdrawal of other services that make a difference to their day to day lives.

"lax regulation"

whose lax regulation? Surely not the administration that was happy to reap the tax take?

For 13 years.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Edit: double post, somehow - although it was such a good point it needed to be said twice...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    O/T - We interrupt this thread to bring you another plug by UNicef…!

Er, what was that all about?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

The economy may be getting less attention from voters now, but will it last?
    Sorry to put a damper on Mikes thread but some think the horizon is far from rosy:

The Spectator ‏@spectator 33m
    The warning signs of a new credit crunch; in the global stock markets, red indicators are flashing says @LiamHalligan http://specc.ie/1pIwJ7Q

The global picture is indeed very far from rosy with all sorts of potential black swan events out there. Closest to home is probably the Eurozone national debt profiles and how we'll be impacted if Euro fun and games kicks off again - which at some point it must, as unless the ECB massively increases money supply soon(ish) then the debt dynamics of the garlic zone are mathematically unsustainable. Bond price explosions for the GIPSIs and China's also utterly unsustainable debt trajectory means 2008 is coming back at some point. And muchg as our GDP is recovering nicely our deficit is not. We still love our welfare state. We're still fuc<ed.
  • Options
    • a proper levy on the Premier League’s revenue from the sale of their television rights to help develop grassroots football;

So not just betting - a goal tax which will break Fifa rules...

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Quite right. The fact that the Coalition and Cameron in particular banged on about us “being all in this together” when we patently weren’t will be remembered as well.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    The economy isn't better, the June figures were awful in terms of borrowing. Just because houses in London are expensive doesn't mean the rest of the country isn't skint, which it is.

The reason immigration is becoming so much of an issue is because people are waking up to the effect it has on jobs, pay, education, health etc. This place is interesting, in the main intelligent and middle class with an interest in politics, but by no means does it reflect the rump of the electorate who are really struggling.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422

O/T - We interrupt this thread to bring you another plug by UNicef…!

Er, what was that all about?

Yes that made it a bit of a mess. If they were wanting to do a sport relief sort of event they should have least have got ordinary sportspeople to do the cajoling (not multi millionaire celebs)
  • Options
    @Topping

Apology accepted and to be honest some of what you say is no doubt true. BobaFett is merely an internet character, not 'me'. We'd probably get on well in person. I have minimal time so just throw in off the cuff comments from time to time. That said BobaFett is starting to bore me so it might be time for a self disintegration.

Tim is clearly a complete legend on here: what baffles me is why the guy doesn't return if he is so popular and well respected even - and especially - by his opponents. He clearly added a lot of value.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Give a voter £200 and you won't hear a squeak. (Personal allowance increase)

Take £200 away from someone they know vaguely on Facebook (Spare room subsidy) and it's moan, moan, moan.
  • Options

Quite right. The fact that the Coalition and Cameron in particular banged on about us “being all in this together” when we patently weren’t will be remembered as well.
    Indeed so.

The filthy rich middle classes and poor being subsidised by the soon not to be rich as independent figures show the latter paying more into the pot than ever before.

Ungrateful mass of population - bastards ....

Titter ....

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@Topping

Apology accepted and to be honest some of what you say is no doubt true. BobaFett is merely an internet character, not 'me'. We'd probably get on well in person. I have minimal time so just throw in off the cuff comments from time to time. That said BobaFett is starting to bore me so it might be time for a self disintegration.

Tim is clearly a complete legend on here: what baffles me is why the guy doesn't return if he is so popular and well respected even - and especially - by his opponents. He clearly added a lot of value.

Bobajobb,
    Bobafett,

Who is next ?!!

Will it be like the new Dr Who ?
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited July 2014
    The reason the Tories got no credit for the economic recovery in 1997 was because it happened despite, not because of, their economic policy. Their economic policy was high interest rates and ERM membership. Once the City had benignly destroyed that, recovery could begin.

O/T, how long will Salmond remain head of the Scotch socialists after he loses in September?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

BobaFett said:

@Topping

Bobajobb,
    Bobafett,

Who is next ?!!

Will it be like the new Dr Who ?
    Bobbitt ?!?

Ungrateful penile removal .... bastards

Titter ....

• Options
    Chortle chortle

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2014/jul/24/labour-ed-miliband-problem?CMP=twt_gu

"Reframing Miliband: Labour faces up to the 'Ed problem' – but is it too late?
    The aim is to pitch Miliband as a decent, modest man of principle, but by now many voters will have made up their minds"

"There is a standard focus group exercise in which voters are asked to come up with the word that spontaneously comes to mind when shown a picture of a party leader. For Cameron, a common response is "privilege". For Nick Clegg it is "confused". For Miliband it is "no". Incredulous laughter is not uncommon. The idea that this man will be prime minister is judged so implausible by enough people that somehow democracy will find a way to make sure it doesn't happen"

"Labour doesn't need to generate great outpourings of love for its leader. It probably does need to fend off the charge that he is utterly ridiculous or a menace to civilisation. That ought to be possible because, whatever flaws Miliband may have, those are not among them."
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

• a proper levy on the Premier League’s revenue from the sale of their television rights to help develop grassroots football;

Scott_P said:

@wallaceme: RT @BBCBusiness: Labour considers sport betting levy http://t.co/ZjyucWhtTF < every little joy, Labour want to tax

And your view of the policy is?

I only ask because instead of telling us you just parrot someone else.
  • Options
    Prediction from me: the Goal Tax will be popular. People know the Premier League is not doing enough to help the grassroots and by extension the England team.

Clever move by Labour.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar

Talking of names, please use the policy's proper name - the Bedroom Tax :)
  • Options
    Mr. Fett, and what about the Gamblers' Tax?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

It is a predictable and depressing trait of Labour to find success and then punish it.

The idea that the PL will hand over a windfall tax to Labour is laughable - FIFA won't allow it as it will open up a global can of worms.

The PL is a business - treat it like all others - raise corporation taxes across the board or not at all. Stop distorting markets to pay for more BME and gender neutral linesperson training or whatever nonsense is in store.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

The economy isn't better, the June figures were awful in terms of borrowing.

Avery is currently lost in a maze of yellow boxes so let me try this for him.

The June borrowing figures werent terrible. Spending was fine. Taxes that werent distorted by timing issues were fine. Income tax figures should unwind when self-assessment payments come in, particularly in January.

See? The June borrowing figures were actually *good* news and no yellow boxes were harmed in this post.

Avery would be so proud.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

It is a predictable and depressing trait of Labour to find success and then punish it.

The idea that the PL will hand over a windfall tax to Labour is laughable - FIFA won't allow it as it will open up a global can of worms.

The PL is a business - treat it like all others - raise corporation taxes across the board or not at all. Stop distorting markets to pay for more BME and gender neutral linesperson training or whatever nonsense is in store.

That post was aimed at ScottP - the man with no opinion of his own.

It seems reasonable to me to ask the PL to make a bigger contribution. The experiment has been a failure in terms of youth and this England team development. I think most England fans would agree with me.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Pretty sure @TGOHF & @Scott_P are against...

Anyway

I have mixed feelings on the levy.

On one hand these taxes always get passed through to the consumer - but then again there is more competition in the bookies market than ever.

I'd rather not see it but bookies have hardly covered themselves in glory whilst they

a) Have ridiculous amounts of FOBTs in their premises basically just ripping off the stupid
    b) Ban/Limit/Refuse winning punters.

Perhaps instead of a levy they should have an obligation to take at least a £100 bet from anyone on any of their advertised prices. It'd probably cost them about the same (Less maybe) - and have less Gov't interference.
  • Options
    @Jack

All this tittering is getting on my tits. Someone make it stop. Horrid PB buzz word.
  • Options

Mr. Fett, and what about the Gamblers' Tax?

Seems fair enough. You have got to raise money for investment somehow.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Patrick said:

I think this suggests that a good dose of economic scaremongering from Dave and a strong message on 'we're still not out of the woods and we'd be insane to let those muppets screw it all up again' will be a sound plan.

Perhaps the PB lefties can remind me: Why do people vote Labour? What are they for?

Labour legitimises envy.
    TOPPING said:

"lax regulation"

whose lax regulation? Surely not the administration that was happy to reap the tax take?

For 13 years.
    Yep. If nobody thought to set speed limits and roads, and thousands were killed every year as motorists legitimately and legally drove around town centres at 80mph, the fault for the deaths would lie with whoever failed to outlaw that behaviour.

Labour was schizophrenic on this as on so much else. Broon, I think, swallowed and still swallows Labour's propaganda about the City being full of posh public school toffs sorting each other out with jobs. At the same, however, he also clearly thought the City was so simple to run, and so well-managed, that it didn't need much regulating. So he dismantled the existing oversight structure, which largely worked, and replaced it with a new structure of his own, that didn't. He then assumed the riskless tax revenues would flow in forever.

So he had two mutually contradictory prejudices, both of which were abjectly wrong. Classic, classic Broon - utterly farmy-farm mad, and utterly rocking-horse wrong.
  • Options
    Mr. Fett, really? Why did Labour condemn the 'pasty tax' then? And what happened to Labour saying they wouldn't be tax and spend again?

Seems like a mean-spirited idea from the puritanical Harman.

Also, 'investment' is a very overused word. 'Spending' is usually what is meant.
  • Options
    Westminster type people - If you are reading:

Bookies having an obligation to take at least a £100 bet from anyone on any advertised price as a quid pro quo for being able to have FOBTs in their shops (Limited to 2...) would be a better move than more levies.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    JackW said:

Indeed so.

The filthy rich middle classes and poor being subsidised by the soon not to be rich as independent figures show the latter paying more into the pot than ever before.

Titter ....

The wealthiest have never been more wealthy and have done spectacularly well over the last few years. It really is an extraordinarily good time to be rich - your income taxes are going down, your dividend taxes are going down, your property portfolio is increasing in value, your share portfolio is too, borrowing costs are low. What is not to like?

• Options
    BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

That post was aimed at ScottP - the man with no opinion of his own.

It seems reasonable to me to ask the PL to make a bigger contribution. The experiment has been a failure in terms of youth and this England team development. I think most England fans would agree with me.

Yes they probably could - but again FIFA rules mean that Labour can't fillet this particular goose.

The PL is rich due to money from abroad for tv rights - PL will just set up a foreign corp to get around that - won't be difficult.

The clubs have money from the tv deals - but most goes to the players - who already pay more tax than their mates playing in Spain.

Hollande tried a super tax - but one of the first exemptions was for football players as the PSG and Monaco team all threatened to head off for Spain and London.

This has been developed by Harriet - I would be very worried about the imminent unravelling.

Am all for more money going to grassroots - but this is not the way - command and control stick beating from the centre.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Bookies having an obligation to take at least a £100 bet from anyone on any advertised price as a quid pro quo for being able to have FOBTs in their shops (Limited to 2...) would be a better move than more levies.

errmm forced to money launder by law -not sure that works

Agree about no levy though . Labour love new taxes, still thinking they can spend money better than the public
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Anyway

On one hand these taxes always get passed through to the consumer - but then again there is more competition in the bookies market than ever.

I'd rather not see it but bookies have hardly covered themselves in glory whilst they

a) Have ridiculous amounts of FOBTs in their premises basically just ripping off the stupid

Perhaps instead of a levy they should have an obligation to take at least a £100 bet from anyone on any of their advertised prices. It'd probably cost them about the same (Less maybe) - and have less Gov't interference.
    Footer is grossly undertaxed. These buffoons are paid half a million quid a week and there are more mugs queueing up to watch it than ever before.

Put a £10 tax on every seat or pay-per-viewer of foopbaw. Absolutely nobody in the UK has ever stopped watching foopbaw because it was crap, and neither will they stop watching it if it's made slightly more farcically expensive than it is now.

The art of taxation is taking it off people who don't notice or care. Anyone stupid enough to pay what it costs to watch these talentless monkeys, or who pay £90 to dress up like their favourite foopbawer, won't blink at another tenner a game.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Labour legitimises envy.
    TOPPING said:

"lax regulation"

For 13 years.
    Yep. If nobody thought to set speed limits and roads, and thousands were killed every year as motorists legitimately and legally drove around town centres at 80mph, the fault for the deaths would lie with whoever failed to outlaw that behaviour.

Labour was schizophrenic on this as on so much else. Broon, I think, swallowed and still swallows Labour's propaganda about the City being full of posh public school toffs sorting each other out with jobs. At the same, however, he also clearly thought the City was so simple to run, and so well-managed, that it didn't need much regulating. So he dismantled the existing oversight structure, which largely worked, and replaced it with a new structure of his own, that didn't. He then assumed the riskless tax revenues would flow in forever.

So he had two mutually contradictory prejudices, both of which were abjectly wrong. Classic, classic Broon - utterly farmy-farm mad, and utterly rocking-horse wrong.
    On roads - raise the Motorway limit to a hundred, raise the gaol time to anyone who kills a cyclist, pedestrian, kid, w/e to 15 years minimum.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

The reason the Tories got no credit for the economic recovery in 1997 was because it happened despite, not because of, their economic policy. Their economic policy was high interest rates and ERM membership. Once the City had benignly destroyed that, recovery could begin.

O/T, how long will Salmond remain head of the Scotch socialists after he loses in September?

Cuckoo, Cuckoo
  • Options

JackW said:

Indeed so.

Titter ....

The wealthiest have never been more wealthy and have done spectacularly well over the last few years. It really is an extraordinarily good time to be rich - your income taxes are going down, your dividend taxes are going down, your property portfolio is increasing in value, your share portfolio is too, borrowing costs are low. What is not to like?

You say that as though it were a consequence of some policy to further enrich billionaires. The wealthiest are doing well out of measures designed to rescue the economy from Labour's disaster. Are you serlously suggesting that if a policy happens to benefit people you hate, it's a bad policy? If so, why did Labour introduce such policies? It is immigration as much as anything else that has driven house prices up.
  • Options
    A major problem for the UK is that it as far too many administrators and not enough doers and wealth creators.

So when councils face austerity they prefer to keep their administrators (jobs for the boys and girls in the club) and cut services like libraries, public toilets etc . In fact most councillors are far too close to the Executive, especially since many councillors are remunerated and a smaller coterie forms a controlling 'cabinet'.

The private sector has slashed its administration and GB slashed their pensions, but the public sector still needs to raise its efficiency levels to that of the private sector as well as the need to learn about economic procurement and that means severely cutting its administrators.

The reason why economic growth has not trickled down is that as a country we are still rewarding ourselves too well and so we are globally uncompetitive in many areas - more large companies that will bite the dust due to cost issues even though at present they are running on almost nil margins.

So costs have to be cut and that includes business rates, Green taxes and employer's NI. I do not expect to see much of that in EdM's manifesto as he does not understand the problems the UK faces.

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar said:

On roads - raise the Motorway limit to a hundred, raise the gaol time to anyone who kills a cyclist, pedestrian, kid, w/e to 15 years minimum.

Bonkers. Causing death by dangerous driving is a considerably less serious offence than manslaughter, because, in the case of the former, the Crown is not required to prove that the defendant intended to cause bodily injury. The starting point for murder, the most serious offence against the person, is a minimum term of fifteen years...
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Mr. Fett, really? Why did Labour condemn the 'pasty tax' then? And what happened to Labour saying they wouldn't be tax and spend again?

Seems like a mean-spirited idea from the puritanical Harman.

Also, 'investment' is a very overused word. 'Spending' is usually what is meant.

To a Tory "investment" means a financial return on the money. For a Labourite is means an increase in votes.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Cuckoo, Cuckoo
    see Matt - right on cue. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cuckoo, Cuckoo
    Did you enjoy the ceremony last night malc ? Loved the Red arrows spraying out the red white and blue over the stadium before the rousing version of GSTQ.

Would have brought a tear to a glass eye.

• Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    The economy is becoming less of an issue as it is not currently under threat. It will be massively under threat in May 2015
  • Options
    Mr. Perdix, a sound explanation.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

errmm forced to money launder by law -not sure that works

Agree about no levy though . Labour love new taxes, still thinking they can spend money better than the public

Fair enough lets have the money laundering caveat in there too - it could actually be quite easily checked... Money laundering would also apply to the FOBTs too...

Winning punter heads in, tries to get £50 E/W on 4-1 2nd favourite "Bobafett's fancy" in the 3:20 @ Kempton. Is knocked back for "Money laundering".

Heads over to the FOBT and proceeds to put in a hundred quid to the machine.

Records the whole incident, bookie hauled up before the authorities for a dishonest refusal or some such.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Labour legitimises envy.
    TOPPING said:

"lax regulation"

For 13 years.

You may be right about Brown, but ...

People driving in city centres at 80 mph - whether it is legal or not - are behaving recklessly; as are people who create financial products that are tantamount to Ponzi schemes. Don't right wingers believe in personal responsibility? Maybe one of Brown's errors was to assume that of people working in financial institutions.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Pulpstar said:

BobaFett said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Anyway

Footer is grossly undertaxed. These buffoons are paid half a million quid a week and there are more mugs queueing up to watch it than ever before.

Put a £10 tax on every seat or pay-per-viewer of foopbaw. Absolutely nobody in the UK has ever stopped watching foopbaw because it was crap, and neither will they stop watching it if it's made slightly more farcically expensive than it is now.

The art of taxation is taking it off people who don't notice or care. Anyone stupid enough to pay what it costs to watch these talentless monkeys, or who pay £90 to dress up like their favourite foopbawer, won't blink at another tenner a game.
    Indeed, maybe we could tax grouse shooting along the same lines, with a couple of added 0's.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

Pulpstar said:

Bonkers. Causing death by dangerous driving is a considerably less serious offence than manslaughter, because, in the case of the former, the Crown is not required to prove that the defendant intended to cause bodily injury. The starting point for murder, the most serious offence against the person, is a minimum term of fifteen years...
    Whilst I am minded to agree with you - is there not a crime of manslaughter by gross negligence or similar - which would appear to be more analogous to death by dangerous driving. (ie in both cases gross stupidity / negligence unintentionally, but semi-predictably causes death to another)?
  • Options
    @TGOHF "It'll never work, it'll never work."

What do you suggest instead?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    On topic: it is true that voters don't do gratitude. But they do do fear, and there's plenty to be afraid of in a Miliband, especially a weak Miliband, government, in terms of wrecking the economic progress which has been made.
  • Options

JackW said:

Indeed so.

Titter ....

You say that as though it were a consequence of some policy to further enrich billionaires. The wealthiest are doing well out of measures designed to rescue the economy from Labour's disaster. Are you serlously suggesting that if a policy happens to benefit people you hate, it's a bad policy? If so, why did Labour introduce such policies? It is immigration as much as anything else that has driven house prices up.

The policy benefits me.

I was arguing against the implication in JackW's tittering post that the wealthy have suffered at the expense of the middle classes and the poor, when, in fact, he wealthy have never had it so good. I have no problem with that - to the extent that the wealth has been earned. My problem is with any assertion that people like me have felt any financial pain. We have not.

• Options
    Rather than a tv tax - Labour should have gone after football under their "cost of living crisis" banner

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-bayern-munich-season-ticket-1752700

"Bayern fans can buy a SEASON TICKET to stand for just over £104.48 with the most expensive season ticket seat priced at £561."

"Bayern are the world football’s ­biggest generator of commercial ­income with £172.5m last year and they have also generated a profit for TWENTY successive years – ­something top ­Premier League clubs can only dream about."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Ukip view on the economy

""The Labour Party has barely seemed to notice that the big economic story of the summer is the deficit soaring once again, while complacency remains the watchword of the Osborne/Alexander regime at the Treasury."

http://www.ukip.org/ukip_s_patrick_o_flynn_warns_that_government_borrowing_is_back_out_of_control
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Patrick said:

Labour legitimises envy.
    TOPPING said:

I think most ordinary people think nothing of the sort, Topping, ople as they see unfettered development, closures of libraries and public toilets and withdrawal of other services that make a difference to their day to day lives.

"lax regulation"

For 13 years.

Don't right wingers believe in personal responsibility?

We do believe in personal responsibility. If I have the option, say, to borrow 8x my salary to buy a house as the bank is willing to lend it to me then I take responsibility for the resulting problem when the housing market crashes or I lose my job and I can't pay the mortgage anymore.

But some would say that the responsibility is shared. Me (1/3rd), the banks (1/3rd), and the government (1/3rd).

Both views have merit. Either me wholly, or shared. But I don't see how the banks are wholly responsible.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    BobaFett said:

Stop linking one tax with a spending pledge - it all comes from the same pot.

Govt partnership with PL on education and sport - they provide the money , the govt provides the push on schools to deliver fitter kids.

Just stop looking for well run businesses to hammer with the tax stick - you might end up making the PL a 2nd tier league again.

Look at what Sky are doing with cycling - loads of grass roots events, money and a fitness push - no tax nor government required...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    BobaFett said:

I think people might be inclined to give labour a chance if they showed they were prepared to cut something rather than announce a new target of a tax
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Rather than a tv tax - Labour should have gone after football under their "cost of living crisis" banner

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/revealed-bayern-munich-season-ticket-1752700

"Bayern fans can buy a SEASON TICKET to stand for just over £104.48 with the most expensive season ticket seat priced at £561."

"Bayern are the world football’s ­biggest generator of commercial ­income with £172.5m last year and they have also generated a profit for TWENTY successive years – ­something top ­Premier League clubs can only dream about."

Bayern was to Germany 2014 as West Ham was to England 1966 too pretty much...
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    "Don’t assume that voters do gratitude."

Good line OGH. I wonder if it's copyrighted.
  • Options
    Another Yah-boo for EdM and this one could run and run all the way to GE2015, especially on Labour's poor standards for Health

http://labourlist.org/2014/07/aws-row-might-ann-clwyd-cancel-her-retirement-from-parliament-and-stand-in-2015/
  • Options

You may be right about Brown, but ...

People driving in city centres at 80 mph - whether it is legal or not - are behaving recklessly; as are people who create financial products that are tantamount to Ponzi schemes. Don't right wingers believe in personal responsibility? Maybe one of Brown's errors was to assume that of people working in financial institutions.

Agree, and most people wouldn't drive at 80mph because it's obviously dangerous. Analogies only work so far. Drunk-driving is a better comparison. We all know individual drivers who think they drive just fine under the influence. You need state intervention to make that illegal.

The thing about drunk driving and complex financial products is that they are not obviously dangerous. Even if they are obvious to you and me, they don't become systemically dangerous unless everyone is at it, including people who to whom the danger is not obvious.

Only a regulator can have a sufficient market-wide view to know whether this is in fact the case. Broon's crime was to dismantle the regulatory structure of the City and replace it with an ineffective one. The FSA did not have this view and didn't even realise it needed it.

It was in the position of a clipboard-bearing bureaucrat who visits your house to check that you are sorting your rubbish correctly, but who fails to notice or react to the fact that your house is a bawdy house and is also on fire. Because it's not his job to notice.

Such were the FSA / BoE's terms of reference that nobody, not one regulator, was sacked over anything that happened. No regulator had failed versus what they were supposed to be doing; nor had any player had broken any law. That in a way describes the perfect crime - you've fiddled the law so your crime isn't a crime at all.

This inept regime gave the City a huge commercial advantage that others couldn't ignore and had to copy. Broon did all this out of greed for the taxes, plus hubris, plus ignorance. So that this time Labour broke not only our economy but everyone else's too.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    As regards 1997, what you have to remember is the extraordinary effort which Blair, Mandelson and even Brown put into convincing business and ordinary voters that the Labour leopard really had changed its spots. It wasn't only the 'prawn cocktail' offensive, although that was significant enough in itself. They also pledged to follow Ken Clarke's well-judged plans for the entire first term. They really did de-risk a vote for Labour. And, to be fair to them, for the first few years of the Labour government it seemed to be OK. Admittedly they wrecked supervision of the banking system as one of their first acts, but that particular chicken didn't come home to roost until 2008. Otherwise it was only from around 2002/2003 that Brown started the economic damage.

This time, Ed Miliband has made absolutely no such effort, in fact quite the reverse. He's been going out of his way to alienate business, and the only policies anyone has noticed are populist and irresponsible. Ed Balls has been fighting a rearguard action to limit the damage, but he hasn't had much impact in that.

This matters particularly this time around because, in contrast to 1997, everyone agrees that things are going to remain tough.
  • Options
    isam said:

Ukip view on the economy

""The Labour Party has barely seemed to notice that the big economic story of the summer is the deficit soaring once again, while complacency remains the watchword of the Osborne/Alexander regime at the Treasury."

http://www.ukip.org/ukip_s_patrick_o_flynn_warns_that_government_borrowing_is_back_out_of_control

That seems a reasonable observation . Maybe Labour have plans to be fiscally loose themselves so don't want to attack to Tories for being so? The Tories have probably learned that in the dumbed down soundbite ,rent a moaner media world that increasing the deficit to provide goodies is good for votes in an election year . It shouldn't be but I am afraid it is
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited July 2014
    isam said:

Ukip view on the economy

I'm shocked - That is quite a reasonable summary from UKIP.

This discussion has been closed.