Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For the first time UKIP move into the favourite slot in a W

13»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@kle4
    AWS is nowhere near ideal, but Parliament needs more female voices, and a complex set of circumstances means it will never be so, without some form of swaying the odds.

Just because a situation is bad doesn't mean a bad solution should be utilized.

I am also unclear at what point the gender balance in politics will be close enough to acceptable that mandating specific genders in specific seats is unnecessary because the culture has changed enough that there is an open playing field. 30%? 40%? If at 40% female MPs too many men are still being chosen as candidates when there is an open process, shouldn't we just make 50% gender balance a legal requirement, as apparently the political culture and wider culture could still be just too damn sexist to do the right thing and pick a woman already.

Obviously I am highlighting an exaggerated point, but I genuinely have problems in seeing at what point parties and the public can be trusted to elect a gender balanced political culture without being forced to, and if it is one of those things you have to enforce because people just seem to gravitate to an inequal norm which becomes corrosive and unhelpful, then we should just make it a demand for all. I'd probably be more ok with that than the current approach to occasionally, where it won't hurt parties preferred male candidates, imposing it on the unwilling at a whim. Blanket imposition or none I guess. I wouldn't like the former, but if the end of a balanced parliament and one hopes a more nuanced and reflective political culture is worth the personal unfairness in individual cases, then it's worth doing it properly and not half arsing it.

I'd certainly like to think society is moving in a more palatable direction and we don't need to be unfair on the individual for some equality goal, but of course history is not some march of progress to some greater goal, and many positive changes have had to be forced. It's just a question of whether this is one that needs to be so forced. If it is, then force it properly.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,125
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Which post 1980 party leader are you, very unscientific survey, but I got John Major
    http://usvsth3m.com/post/92530899578/which-post-1980-party-leader-are-you

I’m Robert Maclennan. Never heard of him.
    Led the SDP for a few years post David Owen.

And I'm Michael Foot. I THINK I'm honoured!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Which post 1980 party leader are you, very unscientific survey, but I got John Major

I’m Robert Maclennan. Never heard of him.
    Led the SDP for a few years post David Owen.

And I'm Michael Foot. I THINK I'm honoured!
    I opted for a double test ....

I'm Paddy Thatcher ....

Hhmmm

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    Dave in Glasgow will he get a better reception than
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqM0Ube0oLs
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    HYUFD said:

Interesting new poll by yougov on where party leaders are placed on the spectrum, Clegg closest to the average voter, previously was Blair
    http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/07/23/britains-changing-political-spectrum/

Putting aside how outdated the concepts of left and right are these days, Given Yougov are asking the opinion of laymen (who likely have no idea of the political landscape) based on the assertions of generally biased journalists repeating party propaganda (and who repeatedly misinterpret the political landscape), I would say that that poll has absolutely no value at all
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,878
    HYUFD said:

So did I !
  • Options
    PB Tories turn off the Commonwealth Games OC you just know it will make you angry.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

PB Tories turn off the Commonwealth Games OC you just know it will make you angry.

Wonder if Mrs Eck will get mistaken for the Queen mother?
  • Options
    Ms Addlington wins the first Gold.According to Frankie Boyle Biggest! ----!
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,878
    Neil said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

For those that support AWS, would you also support...

All black shortlist?
    All muslim shortlist?
    All ginger shortlist?
    All disabled shortlist?

All white shortlist?
    All male shortlist?
    All straight shortlist?
    You think there's a shortage of straight, white men in Parliament? Straight maybe but surely not the other two.

Its all just absolute nonsense.. you don't correct inequality by imposing inequality.
    And yet AWS is working for Labour. Go figure.
    And yet Labour still stand male candidates against female MPs of other parties.
    Are you sure you've understood the point of AWS?

Well, as the above shows, Labour aren't interested in improving the number of female MPs in other parties, so the point of AWS is to keep careerist female politicians in the Labour party.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Interesting new poll by yougov on where party leaders are placed on the spectrum, Clegg closest to the average voter, previously was Blair

Putting aside how outdated the concepts of left and right are these days, Given Yougov are asking the opinion of laymen (who likely have no idea of the political landscape) based on the assertions of generally biased journalists repeating party propaganda (and who repeatedly misinterpret the political landscape), I would say that that poll has absolutely no value at all
    I don't think it has much value either, but if layman with no idea of the political landscape can have their views discounted, an those who do have an idea of the political landscape like journalists can have their views discounted, are there many left? Those who have an idea of the political landscape must to some degree get information from professionals, those who 'repeat party propaganda'. For instance, I have voted LD on many occasions but I want UKIP to do well in 2015 and think they might get 1-2 seats if they are lucky (lucky given how are system does not favour new parties), but I also get all my views on politics from no doubt biased journalists, so does that make my view on that possibility and my assessment of where parties and leaders fall on a left-right spectrum without value? I'd say it still has minute value.

Totally agree that the left/right split is nonsense though.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Is that a play off that story about Merkel being mistaken for the Queen? I'm confused.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Is that a play off that story about Merkel being mistaken for the Queen? I'm confused.
    Private joke between Hugh and I - he has a thing for the older lady.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @No_Offence_Alan
    I got Michael Foot!
    As if I would have anything to do with a right wing capitalist like that!
    (Damned fine humanitarian and orator though)
  • Options
    Nice trolling from the Beeb to get Gary Lineker to host the British wide coverage - should have the Nats riled...
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Ah

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Nice trolling from the Beeb to get Gary Lineker to host the British wide coverage - should have the Nats riled...

Hazel Irvine ticks the boxes though.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,616
    edited July 2014
    TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Grammar Pedant mode: "between Hugh and me", surely!

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/between-you-and-me
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited July 2014
    There would have been only one host for the Games, if he hadn't died.
    https .://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqIaXLBk5tQ
    It would have lived on in history!
  • Options
    David Wilkie looking far too good for a 60 year old.

No breaststroking round Claire Balding methinks
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    No breaststroking round Claire Balding methinks

Have they still got Sharon Davies poolside with the prominent, er, microphone?
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited July 2014
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think it has much value either, but if layman with no idea of the political landscape can have their views discounted, an those who do have an idea of the political landscape like journalists can have their views discounted, are there many left? Those who have an idea of the political landscape must to some degree get information from professionals, those who 'repeat party propaganda'. For instance, I have voted LD on many occasions but I want UKIP to do well in 2015 and think they might get 1-2 seats if they are lucky (lucky given how are system does not favour new parties), but I also get all my views on politics from no doubt biased journalists, so does that make my view on that possibility and my assessment of where parties and leaders fall on a left-right spectrum without value? I'd say it still has minute value.

Whilst I perhaps should have been clearer in my post (e.g for the phrase 'political landscape' I should have wrote 'definition of the political landscape ~ i.e. people have little understanding of what left or right of centre are supposed to stand for or in fact that they have been so hideously confused for propaganda purposes that none of the positions have any real meaning anymore) your last sentence seems to verify my main conclusion.

If the concept of left and right is nonsense then to me the poll has no value but you can have some 'minute value' if you want!

;o)
  • Options
    edited July 2014

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Whilst I perhaps should have been clearer in my post (e.g for the phrase 'political landscape' I should have wrote 'definition of the political landscape ~ i.e. people have little understanding of what left or right of centre are supposed to stand for or in fact that they have been so hideously confused for propaganda purposes that none of the positions have any real meaning anymore) your last sentence seems to verify my main conclusion.

If the concept of left and right is nonsense then to me the poll has no value but you can have some 'minute value' if you want!

;o)
    With some apologies, I will confess to being somewhat playful by seemingly seizing upon a minor phrasing in your post. Ultimately, I would, as you surmise, agree that such a poll has little value.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

Matt Ridley given the Free Enterprise Award by the IEA, he does right some interesting Times articles, but seems a little odd given he chaired Northern Rock at the time of its bailout
    http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/northumberland-peer-matt-ridley-gets-7478458

Even more odd was the peerage he got from David Cameron. There's nothing particularly wrong with bringing down a bank in Cameron's Britain though, so long as you aren't abusing drugs and male prostitutes like Reverend Flowers. Such things just aren't done.
    Believe Matt Ridley is a Viscount, so nothing to do with Cameron. He's also not a career banker - the Northern Rock link came about because the Ridley's are the Newcastle (?) Potentates & NR was built around their family bank.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,693
    New Thread
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Charles Yes, I thought he had inherited his title
  • Options
    kle4 Maclennan succeeded Owen as SDP leader and negotiated the merger with the LDs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maclennan,_Baron_Maclennan_of_Rogart
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    NP 'Sunny Jim' was in my view the best Labour leader until Blair, with the possible exception of John Smith, remember as best PM he consistently beat Maggie

OKC You really are a true leftie then

No Offence Alan A kindred spirit!
  • Options
    MyBurningEars Some Interesting data, but it seems being slap bang in the middle will just lead to the LDs being squeezed to death, they must hope that the Greens and UKIP squeeze the main parties too

Kle4/Man of Kent In the sense that most voters are in the centre and Blair and Clegg are the most centrist leaders of recent times it has value, as does its finding that Farage (just ahead of Howard/IDS) and Miliband are the most rightwing and leftwing leaders on the spectrum
  • Options
    RosebudRosebud Posts: 11
    I've done a profile of Thanet South seat for The Spectator a while back. I can assure people Labour like their chances here. But it's a bit of lift imo. An interesting demographic story is the influx of new residents since HS1. Many if the newer residents are younger professionals and Labour. Nobody has tracked it because it's relatively recent.
This discussion has been closed.