Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My anaylsis of 100+ polls shows that the 2010 LD voters who

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My anaylsis of 100+ polls shows that the 2010 LD voters who’ve switched to LAB are sticking and that’s bad news for the Tories

In a broad-ranging interview just published Britain’s leading political scientist, Professor John Curtice made these observations about Labour’s polling position and GE2015.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Yay! 1st
  • Options
    Mike, You don't think there will be much, if any swingback?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    "Are sticking"?

Irrelevant.

The question is whether they will continue to stick, right up to and including the next general election. My gut instinct says they won't, for the same reason that they voted Lib Dem in the first place: They didn't want, and don't want, a Labour government. When it comes to the crunch, the idea of Ed Miliband as PM will scare them so much that their elbows will fall off and their feet will turn into pumpkins.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

There will be a swingback from UKIP defectors back to CON though it is hard to measure the scale.

The 2010 LDs who gone to LAB look as though they will remain.

• Options
    As someone who had always voted Labour until 2010 in every single election I have the opportunity to do so, I voted Lib Dem in 2010 due to my problems with Gordon Brown.

Brown is gone, my vote has returned to Labour as I am much more comfortable with what I see with Milband than with Brown.

I suspect there are many in a similar position as myself, my only thought though are those Lib Dem->Labour 'stickers' primarily focused in places that do not really matter much anyway? Places like where I live where a goat with a red rosette would win?
  • Options

There will be a swingback from UKIP defectors back to CON though it is hard to measure the scale.

The 2010 LDs who gone to LAB look as though they will remain.

I am debating myself whether to swing back to CON or remain with UKIP.
    Will probably wait and see who the new candidate is first.
    If it's Boris, I may even rejoin the party.

• Options
    (FPT)
    isam said:

In the Euros Ukip scored 27.5%

Mike believes AIFE cost them 1.5%

This would mean 29% intended to vote ukip

It doesn't mean that. If AIFE got 1.5%, then it split 1.5% away from what UKIP would otherwise have got, regardless of whether the voters voted for AIFE deliberately or accidentally or because they were confused or not.
  • Options
    I voted Lib Dem in 2010 because I did not like Brown, not because I do not want a Labour government ever again, I strongly suspect I was far from alone.

The Lib Dems benefitted massively in 2010 from an anti-Brown vote with many ex-Labour voters showing their dislike for the leader of the day, the toxic Brown is gone, the Lib Dems are now far more toxic after 4+ years implementing Tory policies, I see that ~25% as those ex-Labour voters returning back to where they would have been pre-2010 anyway.
    JohnLoony said:

"Are sticking"?

Irrelevant.

The question is whether they will continue to stick, right up to and including the next general election. My gut instinct says they won't, for the same reason that they voted Lib Dem in the first place: They didn't want, and don't want, a Labour government. When it comes to the crunch, the idea of Ed Miliband as PM will scare them so much that their elbows will fall off and their feet will turn into pumpkins.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/19/gangs-rape-lists-sex-assault

"Figures from the Safer London Foundation reveal that more than 500 young women were victims of gang-related sexual violence in the past year, a figure Hubberstey describes as just the "tip of the iceberg"."

If the media and political class hadn't lied about the inner city gang culture when it first started c. 40 years ago it would never have got as bad.

• Options
    When I Google Prince Louis I get loads of stuff about Prince George.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT

Most council bosses have defied government demands for pay restraint by handing out huge salaries while cutting services.

Around 61 per cent of councils paid their biggest earners more than the Prime Minister, who receives £142,500 a year.

The highest salary was thought to be the £318,500 paid by Somerset County Council – which is cutting jobs and services to save £18million – to Peter Lewis, director of children’s services.

Since 2011, six out of ten councils have raised its highest paid official’s salary - despite calls for belt-tightening as the economy begins to recover.

It will raise concerns that public sector bodies still ‘do not get’ the need to rein in profligate spending as Britain continues to drag itself out of recession.

Among the highest-paying 20 councils, only five reduced their top salary after ministers called for more austerity.

Other councils that bumped up their top salary included Wandsworth Council in south-west London from £174,271 to nearly £216,000 – more than £41,000 – and Birmingham by almost £13,000 to £212,000.

Labour-controlled Stoke-on-Trent City Council, meanwhile, approved a £5,000 salary increase for chief executive John van de Laarschot on the day it agreed to slash £21million from services.

The official who dressed as Superman to abseil down a building for charity, saw his pay increased to £195,516 – part of an overall package including perks and pension worth £232,000.

Dave Conway, leader of Stoke’s opposition City Independent group, said: ‘We’ve lost swimming pools, libraries and old people’s homes. I don’t know how the council can justify paying one man all this money at the same time.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2699482/Councils-cut-services-not-salaries-Two-thirds-ignored-Governments-pleas-pay-restraint-reduced-spending-libraries-retirement-homes-instead.html#ixzz384f9ZfNk

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Financier said:

OT

Most council bosses have defied government demands for pay restraint by handing out huge salaries while cutting services.

Around 61 per cent of councils paid their biggest earners more than the Prime Minister, who receives £142,500 a year.

The highest salary was thought to be the £318,500 paid by Somerset County Council – which is cutting jobs and services to save £18million – to Peter Lewis, director of children’s services.

Since 2011, six out of ten councils have raised its highest paid official’s salary - despite calls for belt-tightening as the economy begins to recover.

It will raise concerns that public sector bodies still ‘do not get’ the need to rein in profligate spending as Britain continues to drag itself out of recession.

Among the highest-paying 20 councils, only five reduced their top salary after ministers called for more austerity.

Other councils that bumped up their top salary included Wandsworth Council in south-west London from £174,271 to nearly £216,000 – more than £41,000 – and Birmingham by almost £13,000 to £212,000.

Labour-controlled Stoke-on-Trent City Council, meanwhile, approved a £5,000 salary increase for chief executive John van de Laarschot on the day it agreed to slash £21million from services.

The official who dressed as Superman to abseil down a building for charity, saw his pay increased to £195,516 – part of an overall package including perks and pension worth £232,000.

Dave Conway, leader of Stoke’s opposition City Independent group, said: ‘We’ve lost swimming pools, libraries and old people’s homes. I don’t know how the council can justify paying one man all this money at the same time.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2699482/Councils-cut-services-not-salaries-Two-thirds-ignored-Governments-pleas-pay-restraint-reduced-spending-libraries-retirement-homes-instead.html#ixzz384f9ZfNk

So what? If politicians of all stripes who deify markets are correct, then surely councils, like football clubs or banks, will need to pay more to attract talent that would otherwise sign for some other council, football club or bank.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Financier said:

OT

So what? If politicians of all stripes who deify markets are correct, then surely councils, like football clubs or banks, will need to pay more to attract talent that would otherwise sign for some other council, football club or bank.
    It is not difficult to spend money which is not yours. It is far, far more difficult to create profits and grow a business by using your own money. Many councils are treating their tax payers with contempt - when hard times hit, their first cry is to cut services and put up council tax - not to cut both the management and their remuneration.

• Options
    Financier said:

Financier said:

OT

It is not difficult to spend money which is not yours. It is far, far more difficult to create profits and grow a business by using your own money. Many councils are treating their tax payers with contempt - when hard times hit, their first cry is to cut services and put up council tax - not to cut both the management and their remuneration.

All of which may be true but if -- and it is a big if -- these people make a difference then it is natural that their salaries will be bid upwards.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest ARSE 2015 General Election Projection Countdown :

26 hours 22 minutes 18 seconds
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    If we are to talk about these people as a group, they are surely "switchers" rather than real "Liberal Democrats".

If they have switched away from the Lib Dems since 2010 - not surprising, since the Lib Dem brand has been contaminated by the Tories, even as the Conservative brand has been enhanced by the LibDems- the real question is surely: what attempts have the Lib Dems made so far to win them back?

I suspect that the answer is, at best, patchy.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Financier said:

OT

I tend to agree. Cutting a few thousand and getting the wrong person is a pretty big false economy.

That said, even the best council chief executives cannot make much difference without political support from the leader, ruling group/s and - to an extent - their senior colleagues.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

As someone who had always voted Labour until 2010 in every single election I have the opportunity to do so, I voted Lib Dem in 2010 due to my problems with Gordon Brown.

Brown is gone, my vote has returned to Labour as I am much more comfortable with what I see with Milband than with Brown.

I suspect there are many in a similar position as myself, my only thought though are those Lib Dem->Labour 'stickers' primarily focused in places that do not really matter much anyway? Places like where I live where a goat with a red rosette would win?

I suspect there were many Labs who voted LD in 2005 and 2010 because they were opposed to Labour’s Iraq policy. Kennedy’s strong opposition attracted them. The Labour leadership in 2010 included many of those who’d been in or close to Cabinet when the invasion decision was taken.
    Now those people are gone, the LD’s have got mixed up with the Tories and, to those ex-Labour voters, some very unacceptable attitudes if not overt policies, and Kennedy is gone, too!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, Mike (and Curtice) may well be right. If so, Miliband is heading for Downing Street.

One stat mentioned the other day however was that only a small proportion of the electorate (31?) think he will be PM. Now, it may be that the 6-8% of the electorate that are the ex-LD switchers are well within that 31% and so know full well the consequences of what their collective vote means (and the general sub-polling suggests that they're particularly motivated to vote so that would support such a conclusion). But even if a larger than average proportion is, or if some of those who aren't don't care if Miliband does become PM, not all will be so.

One other (related) reason why they might switch back away from Labour is that a decent proportion of them are naturally oppositionist - they're people more inclined to vote against something rather than for it. This is a problem for them as they undoubtedly want to vote against both government parties, which implies Labour, but they won't necessarily want to give the new government a mandate either. Which instinct will win out? As we're talking about many people, both will: some will stay firm but others will switch, whether to abstentions, minor parties or even back to the LDs.

Finally, there's the campaign itself. Campaigns can and do move votes.

So, three reasons. They won't necessarily be enough. They may barely matter at all. but I wouldn't ignore them at this stage.

FWIW, I'm torn. The polling evidence is so contradictory. As Mike rightly says, Labour is in a very strong position. On the other hand, Miliband is held in contempt by much of the electorate, including many Labour 2010 voters (a significant section of the electorate for him). The economy is recovering but also dropping down the 'issues' index. No party has won, being behind on leader and economy ratings; parties rarely increase their vote share in office. As a result, it's very easy to select the evidence to fit a conclusion already formed rather than the other way round, simply because it's easy to make a plausible case either way. I think it's right that Miliband is odds-on to be next PM. I also think that if he does, Labour will be polling in the teens in 18-24 months and it's possible Labour might never recover.
  • Options
    GertrudeGertrude Posts: 8
    Populus and Yougov have pretty consistent figures for 2010 LD - Lab switchers and 2010 LD don't knows. ICM, on the other hand, are all over the place and in general significantly less favourable to Labour and better for the LDs, not even taking into account the spiral of silence adjustment which benefits them. The LD 2010 unweighted subsample is generally around 100, which is likely to produce volatile numbers.

ICM April LD 26 Lab 21 DK 25
    ICM May LD 31 Lab 14 DK 30
    ICM June LD 21 Lab 25 DK 15
    ICM July LD 25 Lab 15 DK 38

Still the Gold standard? Maybe, but its not just the spiral of silence adjustment that is making the difference in their numbers for the Lib Dems and Labour. The lower the don't knows, the better for Labour it seems, which would suggest that as they eventually unravel nearer the election the LD figure with ICM will go down to the level of other pollsters, but being 3:2 and more than 2:1 ahead of Labour amongst 2010 LDs seems well out of line with other pollsters, who have the 2010 LD subsample with a mixture of Labour and LDs ahead, but not by more than 10 points each time.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    There was a methodology change by Populus so that polls prior to 6 Feb 2014 are not directly comparable to those after.
  • Options

I suspect there were many Labs who voted LD in 2005 and 2010 because they were opposed to Labour’s Iraq policy. Kennedy’s strong opposition attracted them. The Labour leadership in 2010 included many of those who’d been in or close to Cabinet when the invasion decision was taken.
    Now those people are gone, the LD’s have got mixed up with the Tories and, to those ex-Labour voters, some very unacceptable attitudes if not overt policies, and Kennedy is gone, too!
    What is remarkable about the Lab/LibDem switchers over Iraq is that after Blair resigned and these voters could switch back -- the so-called Brown bounce -- Labour then went all-out to alienate them once more by sending the new Prime Minister to hobnob with the troops in Iraq -- the most ill-conceived photo-op since David Cameron went to Africa during the floods.

Assuming it was not Brown's own idea, which pillock advised him? Peter Mandelson, Damian McBride, Ed Miliband?
  • Options
    The Smithson hypothesis has been consistent for a long time---the biggest SINGLE factor at the GE 2015 will be the number 2010 LD voters switching to Lab.

It is why EM is likely to be the next PM, and why the shrewdies aren't laying him, even at odds-on.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    FPT.... TSE thanks for reply on YouGov.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

What is remarkable about the Lab/LibDem switchers over Iraq is that after Blair resigned and these voters could switch back -- the so-called Brown bounce -- Labour then went all-out to alienate them once more by sending the new Prime Minister to hobnob with the troops in Iraq -- the most ill-conceived photo-op since David Cameron went to Africa during the floods.

Assuming it was not Brown's own idea, which pillock advised him? Peter Mandelson, Damian McBride, Ed Miliband?
    I don’t think it’s as simple as “just” Blair going JohnL; Brown was intimately involved with the invasion policy as were other Labour leaders ...... including of course Mandelson, who was a significant figure during the election.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Assuming the yellow-reds have voted Labour consistently since they were 'betrayed' by the Lib Dems actually entering government then it is indeed a great boost for Miliband.

Not long at all until Hungary. Usually no safety car there, and Hamilton tends to like it. Typically hard to overtake, but often this year the significant speed differences and tyre degradation has seen more overtaking (even at a circuit like Bahrain).
  • Options

I don’t think it’s as simple as “just” Blair going JohnL; Brown was intimately involved with the invasion policy as were other Labour leaders ...... including of course Mandelson, who was a significant figure during the election.
    Well, it does explain the Brown bounce and its evaporation, although obviously different voters and groups of voters will have had their own criteria and thresholds.
  • Options
    I've added in Populus' figures from around the 14th of each month for comparison with the ICM ones. Yougov's are similar but with Labour higher and LD lower. Populus sample size is 350 compared with 100ish for ICM. Again the lower the DK, the higher the Labour figure with Populus.

Populus April LD 35 Lab 25 DK 18
    Populus May LD 30 Lab 23 DK 20
    Populus June LD 30 Lab 20 DK 22
    Populus July LD 27 Lab 26 DK 18

ICM April LD 26 Lab 21 DK 25
    ICM May LD 31 Lab 14 DK 30
    ICM June LD 21 Lab 25 DK 15
    ICM July LD 25 Lab 15 DK 38
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and I see we are on the Labour voters who flirted with the LibDems again. The question is not whether they will "return" to the LibDems but actually whether they will bother to vote at all.
    Did their change of support heavily impact on the Euro elections -no.
    Did their change of support heavily impact on the Council elections - no.
    Is there evidence that their change of support is causing major upsets in council by-elections week in and week out - no.

Maybe I am missing something but with the exception of the pollsters frothing as they watch one another fiddling with their turnout filters and spirals of silence, nothing seems to be changing much beyond the normal practice of politics.

We are all agreed the LibDems have lost lots of support since 2010 and seem stuck around 10% in the real elections though they do better in some areas where they have been strong since 1987, the beginning of their rise to "3rd party player" status. There is little movement between Tories and Labour anywhere.

What we don't really know and wont know until May next year is whether everything else from the rise of UKIP to the appeal of the Greens to NOTA voters is simply protest.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I cannot see Labour winning less than 33% of votes and they will do better in marginals. If the Tories want to continue being the largest party in terms of seats, they will have to do better than they did in 2010. This would be possible if they managed to persuade a good portion of UKIP flirters to back the Tories and this must be their strategy.
  • Options
    Welcome to the site, Gertrude.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Financier said:

OT

The marketisation of local government was introduced by removing what was then Chief Officer national negotiating machinery so the elite at the top separated themselves from the rest of local government staff and then,just as in many other semi-autonomous public bodies like NHS trusts,were able to game the system in their favour through a collection of individualised contracts.
    The answer is to bring this group back in with the rest by reinstating national bargaining arrangements consistent with all local government staff and remove the elitism, and tackle the other abuses marketisation has brought about,including revolving door links with the private sector.
  • Options

Welcome to the site, Gertrude.

Thank you :-) Long time lurker, finally signed up.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited July 2014
    Morning Gertrude,

How many identical twin brothers do you have ;)
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @SquareRoot

Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited July 2014
    Many of the 2010 Lib Dems were 2005 and 2001 Labour voters protesting against Blair and Brown.

The coalition demonstrated that the LDs are not a safe protest vote. So the vote is simply going home.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, can see that for 2005, but 2001?
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    This has probably been discussed before, but to what extent are the Lib Dem switchers concentrated in seats where they only switched to the LDs in the first place because Labour couldn't win?

Absent a knowledge of how they are distributed what can one really say?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Jonathan said:

Many of the 2010 Lib Dems were 2005 and 2001 Labour voters protesting against Blair and Brown.

The coalition demonstrated that the LDs are not a safe protest vote. So the vote is simply going home.

When was the last Labour leader so obviously to the left of the Lib Dem leader also ?

Kinnock 1992 ?

If Labour get 34.4% of the vote this time, they win.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    David Herdson [7.41] said: I think it's right that Miliband is odds-on to be next PM. I also think that if he does, Labour will be polling in the teens in 18-24 months and it's possible Labour might never recover.

This is because Miliband in Downing Street will lose vast chunks of support if he sticks to the coalition's spending plans and equally vast (but different) chunks if he doesn't.

Ed-will-never-be is supposed to be a Tory jibe, but losing next year might actually be Labour's best chance for survival in the medium-term. Even that is arguable: there are three right-of-centre voters to every two who are left of centre and that ratio is increasing in the Tories' favour every day, as race replaces class as the primary source of political cleavage.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

I cannot see Labour winning less than 33% of votes and they will do better in marginals. If the Tories want to continue being the largest party in terms of seats, they will have to do better than they did in 2010. This would be possible if they managed to persuade a good portion of UKIP flirters to back the Tories and this must be their strategy.

Unless, of course, everything the Tories say that brings back a UKIPper drives away one or more than one other voter. In that case, they're net no further forward, and also lumbered with an image problem, courtesy of the association with the Gay Marriage Floods Brigade.

The fact is that no major party wants to be suspected of sharing any of UKIPs views. In the same way that having the BNP inside your tent is not a benefit.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited July 2014

Ed-will-never-be is supposed to be a Tory jibe, but losing next year might actually be Labour's best chance for survival in the medium-term.

Poppycock - the old "a good election to lose"

Such a bull argument.
  • Options
    Mr. Bond, not quite an apt comparison. The BNP never won a national election or got consistently more support than the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

When was the last Labour leader so obviously to the left of the Lib Dem leader also ?

Kinnock 1992 ?

If Ed follows on from Kinnock then 10 months from the 87 and 92 general elections it all seemed like he would be PM ....

ICM Aug 86 - Lab + 6 .. Result Jun 87 - Con +11

ICM Jun 91 - Lab +10 .. Result Apr 92 - Con +8

Ooppps

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    The Labour vote today is largely made up of 2010 Labour voters and a quarter of 2010 LibDems. I don't have any qualms about the latter sticking - with respect to Easterross and JohnLoony, they don't understand the dynamics of this group. They feel betrayed: they are the most politically motivated, committed cohort of voters in the electorate today, and they have been patiently waiting through poll after poll since 2010 to get the Government out. Anyone who thinks they might vote Tory in significant numbers or stay at home because of doubts about Ed or enthusiasm for economic revival really doesn't know them at all.

That doesn't mean things are in the bag for Labour, since the 2010 Labour vote includes people who vote Labour out of habit, because they're not too busy on the day, etc. They aren't tempted to vote Tory, but they could easily stay at home. That's why so much of the Labour strategy is ground war: we need to identify them precisely and get out next May. If in a process we win some converts, that's great, but it's not really the key factor.

Part of the Tory vote is just the same, which is why the lack of a Tory ground game in most of the marginals is going to be a problem for them. There are limits to what you can do with glossy direct mails from Birmingham.
  • Options
    Welcome to Gertrude ....

May I ask Gert do you have a Daisy ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ed-will-never-be is supposed to be a Tory jibe, but losing next year might actually be Labour's best chance for survival in the medium-term.

Poppycock - the old "a good election to lose"

Such a bull argument.
    No activist (of any colour) will ever say otherwise. Nor, for that matter, will they ever prefer reason to abuse as a means of justifying their position.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Kinnock 1992 ?

If Ed follows on from Kinnock then 10 months from the 87 and 92 general elections it all seemed like he would be PM ....

Ooppps

These days Jack we have much better data & 73% of the 2010 LD to LAB switchers are Ed Backers. See page 22 http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Con-Lab-Battleground-May-2014.pdf

Compare that with the 63% of CON voters in same poll who said they were satisfied with Cameron.
  • Options

The Labour vote today is largely made up of 2010 Labour voters and a quarter of 2010 LibDems. I don't have any qualms about the latter sticking - with respect to Easterross and JohnLoony, they don't understand the dynamics of this group. They feel betrayed: they are the most politically motivated, committed cohort of voters in the electorate today, and they have been patiently waiting through poll after poll since 2010 to get the Government out. Anyone who thinks they might vote Tory in significant numbers or stay at home because of doubts about Ed or enthusiasm for economic revival really doesn't know them at all.

That doesn't mean things are in the bag for Labour, since the 2010 Labour vote includes people who vote Labour out of habit, because they're not too busy on the day, etc. They aren't tempted to vote Tory, but they could easily stay at home. That's why so much of the Labour strategy is ground war: we need to identify them precisely and get out next May. If in a process we win some converts, that's great, but it's not really the key factor.

Part of the Tory vote is just the same, which is why the lack of a Tory ground game in most of the marginals is going to be a problem for them. There are limits to what you can do with glossy direct mails from Birmingham.

You mean that the LD-Lab switchers are teachers and social workers, don't you, Nick? And that's why the likes of Pulpstar would like them to be boiled in oil...

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,284
    Just a quick question:

1) The polls, if they are roughly replicated next May, would suggest that actually no one party will have done well enough to form a majority government, a minority government, or a two-party coalition with the Liberal Democrats/Nationalists/DUP. In fact, it's not totally impossible that for the first time since 1910, the two leading parties could end up equal in terms of seats.

2) What would happen then - and I'm asking particularly people who've been there and have inside knowledge, like Nick Palmer? Is there any chance/danger (take your pick) of a grand coalition between the Conservatives and Labour? And if so, what would the impact be on the parties' supporters given how polarised their rhetoric has become (although frankly as a swing voter I don't see a vast difference between the meaningful elements of their programmes in practice)?

Just a nagging concern I have in light of all the uncertainty.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited July 2014
    O/T - The powerhouse of the UK's economy through wise, compassionate and inspirational leadership:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2699746/Welcome-Beverly-Hills-Britain-Surrey-residents-pay-tax-head-Britain-corporation-tax-Google.html
  • Options

Mr. Bond, not quite an apt comparison. The BNP never won a national election or got consistently more support than the Lib Dems.

Indeed, but look how angry UKIPpers get if you point out that their party is where the BNP vote has gone. In neither cases are they parties of government, but even so, UKIP don't want the BNP on board.

It reminds me of that scene in Prince Caspian where the dwarves have recruited a few of their Old Narnian mates to the cause. Unfortunately, while authentically Narnian, they are quickly IDed as hags and werewolves, and despatched.

The perception of being a discreditable fellow-thinker makes BNP support toxic to UKIP, and also makes UKIP support toxic to the Tories. Interestingly, however, the reverse is not true. UKIP actually think having people from the other parties on board makes them more rather than less respectable, and confers a sort of vicarious respectability on them.

It's a funny old world when Neil Hamilton can go from the Conservatives to UKIP and in so doing improve the perceived integrity of both parties. Says it all really.
  • Options

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Kinnock 1992 ?

Ooppps

These days Jack we have much better data & 73% of the 2010 LD to LAB switchers are Ed Backers. See page 22 http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Con-Lab-Battleground-May-2014.pdf

Compare that with the 63% of CON voters in same poll who said they were satisfied with Cameron.
    The ICM data from that period was pretty solid Mike. Those thinking that the present polls will be broadly replicated next May are whistling in a hurricane.

One other noteworthy little morsel to chew over is that since WWII no Labour opposition has improved its vote share in its first election after losing office.

Something has to give .... and you have to say that Ed is the gift that just keeps on giving.

• Options

.....Brown is gone, my vote has returned to Labour as I am much more comfortable with what I see with Milband than with Brown.....

Yes and in Scotland Brown boosted the Lab vote. But now he is gone, Labour are likely to poll less than GE2010 in Scotland and the SNP will be the biggest gainers. However for the LDs if OGH is right and the 1/4 of LD 2010 voters are sticking with Lab it spells massive losses to the LDs in Scotland.

That said, these voters do not have two votes. They have one. So if they are not going back to the LDs from where they now are, then this makes a "less than 30" LD MP forecast more of a reality. Afterall UKIP are a better home for protest votes than the LDs now are. The Greens are also a more attractive home for leftie environmentalists than the LDs now are. Likewise the Conservatives for sound economics and welfare reform.

This article is actually more bad news for the LDs, yet it is written as bad news for just Cameron. It is also very bad for the LDs.
  • Options

You mean that the LD-Lab switchers are teachers and social workers, don't you, Nick? And that's why the likes of Pulpstar would like them to be boiled in oil...

In one of the Aubrey / Maturin books that I have just re-read, it is mentioned that Aubrey's father had his by-election Whig opponent flogged.

That's the way.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

David Herdson [7.41] said: I think it's right that Miliband is odds-on to be next PM. I also think that if he does, Labour will be polling in the teens in 18-24 months and it's possible Labour might never recover.

This is because Miliband in Downing Street will lose vast chunks of support if he sticks to the coalition's spending plans and equally vast (but different) chunks if he doesn't.

Ed-will-never-be is supposed to be a Tory jibe, but losing next year might actually be Labour's best chance for survival in the medium-term. Even that is arguable: there are three right-of-centre voters to every two who are left of centre and that ratio is increasing in the Tories' favour every day, as race replaces class as the primary source of political cleavage.

To which party would a non-spending Labour government lose voters to? Certainly not the Tories, UKIP or the LDs, all of which have nailed their sails very firmly to the no spend mast. In Scotland and Wales there may be realistic alternatives (assuming Scotland is still part of the UK), but in England I don't see any party that could realistically attract the discontented, big government Labour voter. If one emerges, that could actually be very good news for Labour as it will draw away a lot of the idiots.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, non-spending? I'll believe that when I see it.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    I voted Labour in 1997 & 2001 and Lib Dem in 2005 and 2010, I will certainly vote Labour in 2015. Does that make me a Lib Dem switcher or really a natural Labour supporter returning to the party? Whatever I am I won't be returning to the Lib Dems any time soon.

I know half a dozen people with very similar recent patterns and I think John Loony is in for a bit of a wake up call if he thinks that those voters are going to be scared off by Ed M. I think what he is failing to understand is that the majority of people who switched from Labour to Lib Dem between 1997 and 2010 did so because they thought the Lib Dems were more left wing/ radical than Labour. Clegg and Coalition laid that to rest for a generation, I doubt many of us will be terrified at the thought of Ed as PM
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    I would have thought LD voters switching to Labour would have been a bigger problem for the LDs than the Cons but what do I know ... ?

Head v heart on cricket today - just the 219 - only takes one stand...

Head says 175 ao.

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Totally O/T but people here might know the answer... If a candidate for local election is disqualified at the time of election can they just resign as a councilor when it becomes known? What happens to the seat - I think that the person who was 'next' in line would be deemed elected, but the Local Authority are taking a different view? I can't see anything obvious on the Electoral Commission Website so thought it worth asking here.
  • Options

Not entirely - many of them are middle-class leftists, but there were many white working class Labour supporters who went Lib Dem and were disgusted to see them go in coalition with the Tories. Some of the anti-Iraq vote (mainly middle class plus Asian voters) had already returned to Labour by 2010, though the Lib Dems made further inroads in WWC Labour areas eg parts of South Wales. Whilst the Lib Dems had the most middle class supporter base of the three main parties, it is the Lib Dems support in working class areas that has been hit more than any. It has mainly gone to Labour but also to UKIP - particularly evident in seats in the South West as the Ashcroft LD/Con marginal poll showed.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Great a Red Liberals thread. Always well received of a Monday morn.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480
    The next general election will produce a Liberal Democrat-Labour coalition government, the Lib Dem energy secretary Ed Davey has predicted.

Davey let slip the forecast while speaking at a conference organised by the left-leaning Lib Dem Social Liberal Forum group in Shoreditch, East London, on Saturday. His comments offer an insight into the strategic thinking of the party leadership as May 2015 draws near.

m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5602547?1405930063&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

To which party would a non-spending Labour government lose voters to? Certainly not the Tories, UKIP or the LDs, all of which have nailed their sails very firmly to the no spend mast. In Scotland and Wales there may be realistic alternatives (assuming Scotland is still part of the UK), but in England I don't see any party that could realistically attract the discontented, big government Labour voter. If one emerges, that could actually be very good news for Labour as it will draw away a lot of the idiots.
    The stay at home party.

Why should I go out and vote for a Labour Party that won't change anything?

Won't axe free schools.

Won't raise public spending.

Won't reverse the majority of benefit changes.

Won't do anything differently to the current government on immigration, certainly not from the EU.

Won't renationalise the rail industry, let alone power, water, or anything else.

Never has the range of views on offer between the main three parties been smaller.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

O/T - The powerhouse of the UK's economy through wise, compassionate and inspirational leadership:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2699746/Welcome-Beverly-Hills-Britain-Surrey-residents-pay-tax-head-Britain-corporation-tax-Google.html

An utter scandal Dave didn't appoint you to his cabinet, such performance deserves to be rewarded.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

The next general election will produce a Liberal Democrat-Labour coalition government, the Lib Dem energy secretary Ed Davey has predicted.

Davey let slip the forecast while speaking at a conference organised by the left-leaning Lib Dem Social Liberal Forum group in Shoreditch, East London, on Saturday. His comments offer an insight into the strategic thinking of the party leadership as May 2015 draws near.

Not if Clegg has anything to do with it. But then he might not be leader in those circumstances.
  • Options
    SO [9.42am] To which party would a non-spending Labour government lose voters to?

I originally wrote "to abstention" and then deleted it to simplify the post. Whilst I do think that that's where the majority would go (further weakening democratic credibility as they did) some would go Green and I would also expect in places like Tower Hamlets that "ethnic" Mayors etc would also seek, and win, Parliamentary seats.

To deal in short order with Jack W's tiresome precedents - in all those cases the outgoing Government consisted of a single Party. This one doesn't.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

.... I doubt many of us will be terrified at the thought of Ed as PM

Unfortunately Ed's personal numbers indicate that many others have much greater reservations including a substantial minority of Labour supporters.

This situation is toxic for Labour, not only because it undermines Ed but because non Labour and swing voters will be more determined to ensure Ed never becomes PM.

Ed also has to sharply reverse his "weirdo rating". A man that is giving Nigel Farage a run for his money in this area isn't going to occupy Downing Street.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Bloody weird F1 betting weekend. Made 6 bets. The 4 I didn't mention were speculative exclusive pairs (Bottas and Massa to win and get pole, each way), which worked for Bottas. The Rosberg pole tip came off, but didn't count (too early).

The only one that was an utter failure was Magnussen to be top 6, although he did well to climb from 10s behind the backmarkers to finish 9th. Due to technical woe, it was also a very rare case of me not backing something I'd tipped (I learnt my lesson after the 70/1 Button tip).

So, it's a red weekend (third in a row, sadly). But I finished ahead. Bit odd.

Edited extra bit: Hamilton tends to do well at Hungary, so I'd advocate taking advantage of the evens for him to take the title, if you haven't yet (assuming you're green on Rosberg, of course).
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

An utter scandal Dave didn't appoint you to his cabinet, such performance deserves to be rewarded.
    He's a cold hearted bastard isn't he. First he sacks O'Paterson then ignores O'Reilly. O'tempora, O'Mores...sod it, O'Neil, O'Bournemouth.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

The stay at home party.

Won't axe free schools.

Won't do anything differently to the current government on immigration, certainly not from the EU.

Won't renationalise the rail industry, let alone power, water, or anything else.

Never has the range of views on offer between the main three parties been smaller.
    Ed agrees with George - Labour have admitted defeat on the economy.

"We would tinker in a slightly different way - and obviously channel funds to our public sector vested interests/paymasters - oh and no referendum on Europe.

The Labour manifesto.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

The stay at home party.

Won't axe free schools.

It's strange that on a political betting site we've never (AFAIK) had a thread on turn-out at the next election. If you're right, SO, and I think you are, turn-out should nose-dive.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Grandiose said:

The stay at home party.

Won't axe free schools.

Axing free schools would save money. I also doubt that a failure to reverse the majority of benefit changes would lose that many voters as long as the reverses that were made were high profile and low cost - see the bedroom tax. Likewise, I doubt not renationalising stuff will see a march of voters away. Labour has already lost the votes of people who believe that immigration is a major issue.

All that said, I do take your point. My issue with Labour is that it is totally uninspiring and almost entirely reliant on Not Being The Tories. Given the challenges this country faces in so many areas that is just not good enough.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

He's a cold hearted bastard isn't he. First he sacks O'Paterson then ignores O'Reilly. O'tempora, O'Mores...sod it, O'Neil, O'Bournemouth.
    But he insulted Liam Fox.

Clearly, it was a compliment to keep you were you are.

Think of all those tax revenues Elmbridge is generating, you're needed where you are to keep them flowing, you're responsible for George O being so popular, if the Tories win in 2015, you should take a big share of the credit.
  • Options

SO [9.42am] To deal in short order with Jack W's tiresome precedents - in all those cases the outgoing Government consisted of a single Party. This one doesn't.

To deal with the tiresome Innocent_Abroad in short order :

The precedent is the performance of the Labour party not the government that replaced it.

• Options
    O/T - I've backed England to win today.

I have faith in Joe Root and the Bearded Wonder.
  • Options
    Sean O'Neill ‏@TimesCrime 32s

Hearing the @metpoliceuk have delayed #plebgate report (due for publication today) indefinitely
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    ydoethur said:

Just a quick question:

1) The polls, if they are roughly replicated next May, would suggest that actually no one party will have done well enough to form a majority government, a minority government, or a two-party coalition with the Liberal Democrats/Nationalists/DUP. In fact, it's not totally impossible that for the first time since 1910, the two leading parties could end up equal in terms of seats.

2) What would happen then - and I'm asking particularly people who've been there and have inside knowledge, like Nick Palmer? Is there any chance/danger (take your pick) of a grand coalition between the Conservatives and Labour? And if so, what would the impact be on the parties' supporters given how polarised their rhetoric has become (although frankly as a swing voter I don't see a vast difference between the meaningful elements of their programmes in practice)?

No inside knowledge but I think you get new elections before you get a Grand Coalition. Usually Grand Coalitions happen when there's a chunk of the vote with a non-mainstream party that can't work with either of the others, but the UK only really has Sinn Fein and Respect in that role, who don't really have enough votes to block one side or the other getting a majority, especially considering Sinn Fein don't turn up.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Just a quick question:

No inside knowledge but I think you get new elections before you get a Grand Coalition. Usually Grand Coalitions happen when there's a chunk of the vote with a non-mainstream party that can't work with either of the others, but the UK only really has Sinn Fein and Respect in that role, who don't really have enough votes to block one side or the other getting a majority, especially considering Sinn Fein don't turn up.
    I can't see a Grand Coalition ever happening in this country, outside of a major world war or economic crisis.
  • Options
    So Ed's gone to America today, hoping he might meet Obama, whilst Dave gives a statement to the commons on MH17.

Who will respond on behalf of Lab?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    On topic: As always, we need to remember that the Red Liberals are not the only or even the largest group of switchers between 2010 and what the polls are currently showing. Switchers to UKIP are a larger group. We also need to remember that they are already in the figures, and even with this supposedly rock solid block moving to Labour, Ed still only has a lead of around three points. That is vulnerable even if not a single Red Liberal switches elsewhere.

Still, we can speculate on how solid they will remain. If they are motivated by the hope of unrealistic public spending and by the expectation that Labour will act in the interests of public-sector workers and halt or reverse reforms, then they have got a bit of a shock coming to them. As the French are finding, there is no such thing as a free déjeuner. The only question is whether the disappointment will come before or after the GE.

Obviously Labour, by avoiding making any plans at all, hopes to postpone the day when they have to own up to the reality of the economics. Will they be able to maintain this pretence through the period of the election campaign and having written a manifesto? That is going to be a tough sell, balancing not putting off those with unrealistic expectations against not putting off those who already have severe doubts about their economic competence, honesty and seriousness. (There's also the important consideration that coming into government on a false prospectus is just storing up problems for the future).

There's another point: the Conservatives are not going to stand by idly, allowing the two Eds to obfuscate. If Labour don't define their plans, the Tories will define them for them.

IMO all this points to Labour's support fraying as the election approaches. Included in that fraying will be some of those Red Liberals, as Labour's offering becomes more specific. I doubt that they will go back to the LibDems - more likely to the Greens, or they will not vote at all.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, probably Harman. Isn't Douglas Alexander Shadow Foreign Secretary? Could be him.
  • Options
    Today is the 20th anniversary of Tony Blair becoming Labour leader.
  • Options

So Ed's gone to America today, hoping he might meet Obama, whilst Dave gives a statement to the commons on MH17.

Harriet Har-Gender-Neutral

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

And Ed will treat the remaining five Lib Dem MPs with the respect they deserve
  • Options

Obviously Labour, by avoiding making any plans at all, hopes to postpone the day when they have to own up to the reality of the economics. Will they be able to maintain this pretence through the period of the election campaign and having written a manifesto?

Didn't work out well for the Nats and their currency approach.

• Options

That's politically astute. Sodding off on a jolly whilst the world lurches towards WW3.
    Someone make this man PM, quick!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,284
    @edmundintokyo‌ - quite possibly. But on the last two occasions this scenario came up (in 1910 and 1974) the following elections produced roughly the same result - a tie in 1910, a small Labour lead in 1974 (admittedly in 1974 Labour managed to secure a wafer-thin majority at the second attempt). How likely is it that the voting intention would shift markedly in a couple of months?

@TheScreamingEagles‌ - well, nor could I under normal circumstances, agreed. But supposing the options are a grand coalition or no government at all? What would happen then? Particularly given that the country remains in a profound economic crisis that it is going to require more painful measures to sort out.

I'm hoping this scenario doesn't happen, incidentally, for all sorts of reasons, but it seems a possibility and it therefore seems worth analysing the likely consequences.
  • Options
    James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 1m

Harriet Harman expected to respond to Cameron's #MH17 Commons statement. Miliband in Washington for 'brush-by' with Obama
  • Options
    @JohnLoony

The Red Liberals are deepest red
    There love for Yellow is long since dead
    Though Bookers flinch and Tories sneer
    They'll keep the Red Flag flying here
  • Options

Harriet Harman expected to respond to Cameron's #MH17 Commons statement. Miliband in Washington for 'brush-by' with Obama

Sounds like it will be more "wipe down" than brush by.

A serious politician would have cancelled this trip - fan boy Ed gets it wrong again.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@edmundintokyo‌ - quite possibly. But on the last two occasions this scenario came up (in 1910 and 1974) the following elections produced roughly the same result - a tie in 1910, a small Labour lead in 1974 (admittedly in 1974 Labour managed to secure a wafer-thin majority at the second attempt). How likely is it that the voting intention would shift markedly in a couple of months?

@TheScreamingEagles‌ - well, nor could I under normal circumstances, agreed. But supposing the options are a grand coalition or no government at all? What would happen then? Particularly given that the country remains in a profound economic crisis that it is going to require more painful measures to sort out.

I'm hoping this scenario doesn't happen, incidentally, for all sorts of reasons, but it seems a possibility and it therefore seems worth analysing the likely consequences.

I suspect we'd have a govt proposing very minor changes - merely proposing stuff they knew would pass without any problems.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @dyedwoolie
    If WW3 is imminent, it will be an American finger on the button.
    Cameron can only do a bit of "jaw jutting", and hope the less intelligent will not see through his posturing.
    "Do as I say Putin, or else I will get very red in the face and have a tantrum!"
  • Options
    @JohnLoony

The Red Liberals are deepest red
    Their love for Yellow is long since dead
    Though Bookers flinch and Tories sneer
    They'll keep the Red Flag flying here
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    TGOHF said:

A serious politician would have cancelled this trip - fan boy Ed gets it wrong again.

Has Ed not noticed that the newspapers and TV have rather more significant stories to report? His 'brush by' will be a small item at the bottom of page 5.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    ydoethur said:

A tie (or whatever worst-case scenario you can come up with) wouldn't make it impossible to govern, since the various nationalist parties would be ready to deal with one side or the other, in some cases both.

Voting intention may not shift markedly after a second election, but a random +10 in either direction from the worst-case scenario makes things a lot easier for one side or another.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie
    Cameron can only do a bit of "jaw jutting", and hope the less intelligent will not see through his posturing.
    "Do as I say Putin, or else I will get very red in the face and have a tantrum!"

At least he is playing the game, rather than going to the US to crack one off at the thought of being an International statesman and kiss Barry's ring
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@dyedwoolie

Talking of the button, pretty much the Yanks only option. They are utterly incapable of persecuting and winning a conventional war anywhere in the world.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

On topic: As always, we need to remember that the Red Liberals are not the only or even the largest group of switchers between 2010 and what the polls are currently showing. Switchers to UKIP are a larger group. We also need to remember that they are already in the figures, and even with this supposedly rock solid block moving to Labour, Ed still only has a lead of around three points. That is vulnerable even if not a single Red Liberal switches elsewhere.

Still, we can speculate on how solid they will remain. If they are motivated by the hope of unrealistic public spending and by the expectation that Labour will act in the interests of public-sector workers and halt or reverse reforms, then they have got a bit of a shock coming to them. As the French are finding, there is no such thing as a free déjeuner. The only question is whether the disappointment will come before or after the GE.

Obviously Labour, by avoiding making any plans at all, hopes to postpone the day when they have to own up to the reality of the economics. Will they be able to maintain this pretence through the period of the election campaign and having written a manifesto? That is going to be a tough sell, balancing not putting off those with unrealistic expectations against not putting off those who already have severe doubts about their economic competence, honesty and seriousness. (There's also the important consideration that coming into government on a false prospectus is just storing up problems for the future).

There's another point: the Conservatives are not going to stand by idly, allowing the two Eds to obfuscate. If Labour don't define their plans, the Tories will define them for them.

IMO all this points to Labour's support fraying as the election approaches. Included in that fraying will be some of those Red Liberals, as Labour's offering becomes more specific. I doubt that they will go back to the LibDems - more likely to the Greens, or they will not vote at all.

Not to mention there are blue liberals, and purple liberals.

Friday's Populus poll showed 23% of Lib Dem voters from 2010 going to Labour: 13% to the Conservatives; 9% to UKIP.

That produces a net gain of 2.4% to Labour over the Conservatives. Useful, but not decisive in my view.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

And Barack will say to Ed "Hi David"
This discussion has been closed.