Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tories do win more votes than LAB but get fewer seat

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If the Tories do win more votes than LAB but get fewer seats then let there be no bleating about the system being unfair

If current broad poll trends continue and some of the CON-Ukip shifters return then it is likely that my 8/1 bet that that Tories will win most votes but come second to LAB on seats will be a winner.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Glad you didn't use the word 'whining'!

If this scenario does happen, I would expect more disappointment than bleating from the Tory side.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    OT, background on the three-year-old legal case about the data retention directive that may be the cause of the government suddenly having an emergency need to pass legislation before anyone has a chance to find out what it says:
    https://www.openrightsgroup.org/ourwork/reports/briefing-to-mps-on-data-retention-legislation
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    hmmmm - cos we never get beats and whines from the LDs about any thing...ever...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    There will be quite legitimate bleating about the LibDems ending the boundary review, so the election is run on seats that are 15 years out of date demographically.

I am a LibDem inclined voter but nonetheless thought that unjustifiable.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The context of the thread seems fair - Those that live by FPTP shall die by it too.

Having said that I don't expect an anomalous seats/vote share result next May between Lab and Con as indicated by the latest ARSE.

The particular anomaly from next May will be UKIP with either a few or no seats on a not too dissimilar share of the vote to the LibDems with 30+ seats. There will be derision from UKIP to little effect.
  • Options
    JackW said:

The context of the thread seems fair - Those that live by FPTP shall die by it too.

Having said that I don't expect an anomalous seats/vote share result next May between Lab and Con as indicated by the latest ARSE.

The particular anomaly from next May will be UKIP with either a few or no seats on a not too dissimilar share of the vote to the LibDems with 30+ seats. There will be derision from UKIP to little effect.

I don't think PM Miliband will be inclined to change the voting system or to be very sympathetic to kippers.
  • Options

JackW said:

I don't think PM Miliband will be inclined to change the voting system or to be very sympathetic to kippers.
    I don't think PM Miliband at all.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787

There will be quite legitimate bleating about the LibDems ending the boundary review, so the election is run on seats that are 15 years out of date demographically.

Yes, the FPTP question was decided by the electorate - not the Tories.

The boundaries question by the Lib Dems - such democrats!
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

He may find that the Lib Dems make it a condition of being in power.

A referendum on a properly proportional voting system such as mmp might pass now, post UKIP surge.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Btw, it's general election today in the Cook Islands, the big political question of the day is will the Left leaning Democratic Party overturn their 2010 defeat by the rightwing Cook Island Party and take power.
  • Options

A referendum on a properly proportional voting system such as mmp might pass now, post UKIP surge.
    So the kippers best chance for voting reform is to vote LD?

Bring it on!
  • Options

I voted against AV but would vote for an AMS system.

However STV is the spawn of Satan, whose advocates require extraordinary rendition to polar parts before a trip downstairs to their leaders HQ.

• Options

Miliband may prefer to govern as a minority govt than shackle his govt to what may appear to be a discredited party rejected by the electorate.

• Options
    Shome mishtake shurely - ed.

Mr Salmond repeatedly insisted he would only debate with Prime Minister David Cameron in the initial TV debate before backing down last month and agreeing to face Mr Darling, the head of Better Together.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/salmond-and-darling-tv-debate-two-days-after-games.24715055

Oh well, we can add "only debate with Cameron' to "automatic EU membership", "currency union" and "guaranteed warship orders".......
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    If the Tories somehow contrive to lose to EdM's Labour next year despite his crapness and an improving economy they will, no doubt, blame everyone but themselves. I'd expect particular ire to be aimed at: perfidious LibDems; duplicitous, lying Labour; the BBC; stupid voters; immigrants; sponging welfare junkies; the BBC; the Guardian; Scots; the BBC; trade unionists; public sector workers; the BBC; the metropolitan elite; the BBC; and the BBC.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    It would be unfair, due entirely to the Liberal Democrats (sic) welching on the boundary changes.
  • Options
    LogicalSongLogicalSong Posts: 120
    Nit-picking I know, but the Votes per Seat figures for UKIP and the BNP are actually infinite (anything divided by zero).
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789

Define out of date. Many of the new seats were geographically bonkers, and that was timeless. They would have had whole towns with slivers of other towns to make up the numbers. You can't gerrymander an inherently 'unfair' system to make it 'fairer' - that was the Tory plan. You should rejoice that your party had the good sense to kill off the scheme.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It would be unfair, due entirely to the Liberal Democrats (sic) welching on the boundary changes.

Tit for tat. Politics is a big boys' game. The Tories betrayed the Liberals on Lords reform and then started whining when they didn't play ball on the boundaries.

• Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I am not sure that the Tories will win more votes than Labour. In 2015 I expect that Labour will do very well in most cities, far better than in 2010. The Tories will try to compete with UKIP on immigration and it will put off many people who are not of a white British background. I also expect some public sector workers who backed the Tories in 2010, will move to Labour. I think there has been some polling which shows a significant shift Tories to Labour within some professions e.g Teachers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Quid pro quo for the House of Lords reform.
  • Options

If the Tories somehow contrive to lose to EdM's Labour next year despite his crapness and an improving economy they will, no doubt, blame everyone but themselves. I'd expect particular ire to be aimed at: perfidious LibDems; duplicitous, lying Labour; the BBC; stupid voters; immigrants; sponging welfare junkies; the BBC; the Guardian; Scots; the BBC; trade unionists; public sector workers; the BBC; the metropolitan elite; the BBC; and the BBC.

This daily schtick from you about Ed being crap is getting a bit boring Southam! All three leaders are somewhat crap - Ed is no more or less crap than the rest of them. Who are you going to vote for if not Labour sir?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Quid pro quo for the House of Lords reform.

Nick Clegg said the two were not related. Oh, wait, I think I see the problem now...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Mr Salmond repeatedly insisted he would only debate with Prime Minister David Cameron in the initial TV debate before backing down last month and agreeing to face Mr Darling, the head of Better Together.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/salmond-and-darling-tv-debate-two-days-after-games.24715055

Oh well, we can add "only debate with Cameron' to "automatic EU membership", "currency union" and "guaranteed warship orders".......

The organ grinder is too scared so he has to debate with the monkey. It will be a slaughter with Flipper stuttering and blinking at an awful rate.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Test betting:

Draw looks too short to me at 1.76, think it is the most likely outcome but it will trade at or above evens.

Hence a lay of £22.40 on the draw, and a shifting position of zero to there.

Eng +13.59; India +43.3; Draw +0.01

Eng 5.9; India 3.75; Draw 1.75
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    Under FPTP it doesn't matter one bit how many votes you get nationally as its not a national election. So any complaining about nation vote tallies or % of national votes vs seats won need to be told to shut up.

The Tories wanted First Past the Post. They got First Past the Post. If their toxicity and unpopularity means they can't get first past the post in enough seats that's their own fault. Personally I'd replace it with a fully proportional system in a federal UK, but whilst FPTP remains people need to stop making pointless references to vote counts that have no bearing on how the election process actually works.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    The boundaries review wouldn't have made much of a difference to the overall biases in the system, that has been well documented on here.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

The boundaries review wouldn't have made much of a difference to the overall biases in the system, that has been well documented on here.

Yes -FPTP hugely favours Con & Lab vs the others - the differences between Con & Lab are essentially roundings. Hence, expect no change.....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Mr Smithson is terribly wrong. In the Internet Age, I believe bleating has become enshrined as an inalienable human right. Witness, for example, most forums.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The organ grinder is too scared so he has to debate with the monkey. It will be a slaughter with Flipper stuttering and blinking at an awful rate.
    Flipper or monkey? Make your mind up!

And yet another of Eck's pronouncements doesn't come to pass.......
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Labour still won't win a majority. It is disgraceful that votes aren't equal due to Labour and Lib Dem gerrymandering, and even more so to portray this as principled is a laughable. Still I feel this is where Cameron falls down, an Orban would have forced through reform, they don't play by the rules Dave and so neither can you.
  • Options

Miliband may prefer to govern as a minority govt than shackle his govt to what may appear to be a discredited party rejected by the electorate.

This is a really interesting point IMHO. Nobody will ever want to form a coalition with the LibDems. And given that the LD MP count looks set to drop sharply it means things will be tight. So a period of relatively unstable government in the UK looks unavoidable. Tiny majorities or minority governments for the foreseeable.
  • Options
    In fact, UBS said, both Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland would be likely to have to move south in the event of a "yes" vote, due to the Government's stakes in the banks.
    "Politically it does not seem feasible to us that banks like RBS or Lloyds could remain Scottish companies," it said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10956525/UBS-predicts-savings-flight-from-Scotland-in-the-event-of-yes-vote.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Bobafet is, of course, quite right re the insanity of trying to equalise seat sizes in a country with a population unevenly spread over it. Further, I seem to recall the Isle of Wight demanding that it be one constituency, rather than some part of it being transferred to Hampshire for the sake of equality, and that wasn’t the only “special pleading” which took place.
    STV, in spite of JackW’s concern, is surely still the best system, although some form of AMS runs it close. However the system used in the Euros should be scrapped closed lists, with candidate order decided by the parties, take far too much power away from the electorate.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    hucks67 said:

I am not sure that the Tories will win more votes than Labour. In 2015 I expect that Labour will do very well in most cities, far better than in 2010. The Tories will try to compete with UKIP on immigration and it will put off many people who are not of a white British background. I also expect some public sector workers who backed the Tories in 2010, will move to Labour. I think there has been some polling which shows a significant shift Tories to Labour within some professions e.g Teachers.

The polls would have to t
    BobaFett said:

Define out of date. Many of the new seats were geographically bonkers, and that was timeless. They would have had whole towns with slivers of other towns to make up the numbers. You can't gerrymander an inherently 'unfair' system to make it 'fairer' - that was the Tory plan. You should rejoice that your party had the good sense to kill off the scheme.
    As we have seen with postal votes, commitment to democracy to the left is wafer thin, if it exists. Power at any cost.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Labour still won't win a majority. It is disgraceful that votes aren't equal due to Labour and Lib Dem gerrymandering, and even more so to portray this as principled is a laughable. Still I feel this is where Cameron falls down, an Orban would have forced through reform, they don't play by the rules Dave and so neither can you.

Bollocks. You cannot have 'equal votes' in a non-proportional system. Another one who cannot grasp how FPP works.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

This is a really interesting point IMHO. Nobody will ever want to form a coalition with the LibDems. And given that the LD MP count looks set to drop sharply it means things will be tight. So a period of relatively unstable government in the UK looks unavoidable. Tiny majorities or minority governments for the foreseeable.
    Tories down 10% - out of office, Lib Dems down 50% -stay in power (for example) is going to look distinctly odd......are the Lib Dems the new Vicar of Bray?

• Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    The majority of Labour's advantage is just due to differential turnout etc, but a significant proportion is due to unequal seat sizes. There is plenty to complain about legitimately regarding the Lib Dems failing to uphold their side of the bargain regarding Av referendum and boundary changes.

House of Lords reform had nothing to do with boundary changes (as per Nick Clegg and the coalition agreement), and no-one in the Tories ever voted against Lords reform. It was a suggestion that they wouldn't vote in favour of curtailing debate on the rubbish that Clegg had come up with that killed it - I struggle to see how that is an unreasonable position!
  • Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    BobaFett said:

Bollocks. You cannot have 'equal votes' in a non-proportional system. Another one who cannot grasp how FPP works.

Yes you can - you could have all constituency sizes the same, rather than some constituencies with 80000 people and others with 50000. What people do with their votes is up to them, but the starting point should be equal. Surely that's not to difficult to grasp?

• Options

However the system used in the Euros should be scrapped closed lists, with candidate order decided by the parties, take far too much power away from the electorate.

Amen to that! I wonder if Miliband will put anything in his manifesto on electoral reform.....we know he's no big fan of referendums.......
  • Options
    Gasman said:

House of Lords reform had nothing to do with boundary changes (as per Nick Clegg and the coalition agreement), and no-one in the Tories ever voted against Lords reform. It was a suggestion that they wouldn't vote in favour of curtailing debate on the rubbish that Clegg had come up with that killed it - I struggle to see how that is an unreasonable position!

I wonder if Clegg's great plan for HoL reform will be in the Lib Dem's 2015 manifesto? :|Innocent Face|:
  • Options

Patrick said:

Tories down 10% - out of office, Lib Dems down 50% -stay in power (for example) is going to look distinctly odd......are the Lib Dems the new Vicar of Bray?

Look at the graph at the top of the page. It takes 3.5 times as many votes to elect a LibDem MP as a Tory or Labour MP. So it's not really surprising that the LDs can drop 50% and still retain a number of MPs.They'll only be in office if neither of the two big parties is popular enough to pull ahead. It's FPTP.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    OGH:

Tories don't "bleat" about the electoral system. Most are fine with FPTP - they like the constituency link, they like the importance of local issues, they like the tilt towards stable government. (It's the same in Germany with the 5% threshold, for instance).

What people object to is the fact that the internal workings of the system has been deliberately left unbalanced by two parties who saw it as being in their own interest to have a distorted system.

(In maths terms, this is the difference between a tilt and a parallel shift if that makes it easier to understand).

• Options

malcolmg said:

Flipper or monkey? Make your mind up!

And yet another of Eck's pronouncements doesn't come to pass.......
    Since you are slow on uptake , Flipper is the monkey , Cameron is the organ grinder. Organ grinder is a coward so monkey has to do the debate. Surely I do not have to explain the relationship between Cameron and Flipper to you. Suffice to say Flipper is the dogsbody.
  • Options

Patrick said:

They'll only be in office if neither of the two big parties is popular enough to pull ahead. It's FPTP.
    AND if either of the two big parties wants to be in office with the Vicar of Bray......how much credit (or opprobrium) would attach itself to a government included a party "rejected by the electorate"?

The only way for the Lib Dems to remain in power is in a continuing coalition with the Tories (we're finishing the job) - Miliband would be daft to enter coalition with them (look, I know you hate them but this time they can be trusted.....)

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited July 2014
    The boundary changes proposed at the time by Cameron were a better start point than the current ones if you view, as Gasman says a starting point for FPTP as having equal size seats (Which is surely a good start point for a constituency system...)

The problem was for the Lib Dems that basically the system would have worked even more against them than FPTP 650 seats does now (The fact it works even more against UKIP doesn't mean it works in favour of the Lib Dems). Hence Clegg quite rationally had to knife Dave over it - HoL reform was a convenient issue to use for this purpose, but it really could have been any excuse.

As Tim formerly of this parish pointed out at the time the Conservatives should have seperated the equalisation of voter numbers and the 650 -> 600 seat change. Anyway they didn't, Clegg shafted Dave (He needed to) on this and the rest is history.

Currently the system is very bias in favour of Labour, slightly bias to the Conservatives, against the Lib Dems & very very bias against UKIP.

But post election comparisons will be made between Labour/Con and separately UKIP/Lib Dem which will lead to the Lib Dems being seen as winners from the system when in fact they aren't; and similarly the Tories as losers from the system when in fact they are winners from it.

The big winners will of course be Labour and the big losers, UKIP.
  • Options

In fact, UBS said, both Lloyds Banking Group and Royal Bank of Scotland would be likely to have to move south in the event of a "yes" vote, due to the Government's stakes in the banks.
    "Politically it does not seem feasible to us that banks like RBS or Lloyds could remain Scottish companies," it said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10956525/UBS-predicts-savings-flight-from-Scotland-in-the-event-of-yes-vote.html

Bankrupt lame ducks may need to relocate to bankrupt UK to keep getting subsidised. Scotland will be left with only real banks. WE are trembling in our boots.
  • Options

Patrick said:

They'll only be in office if neither of the two big parties is popular enough to pull ahead. It's FPTP.
    AND if either of the two big parties wants to be in office with the Vicar of Bray......how much credit (or opprobrium) would attach itself to a government included a party "rejected by the electorate"?

The only way for the Lib Dems to remain in power is in a continuing coalition with the Tories (we're finishing the job) - Miliband would be daft to enter coalition with them (look, I know you hate them but this time they can be trusted.....)

We're talking in this thread about the possibility of Labour getting most seats on fewer votes than the Tories. So which of the two main parties would have been 'rejected by the electorate' ?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    BobaFett said:

What you say about the Tory plan is correct - nobody woud have suggested making the variance that tight except for partisan reasons, and it's ridiculous for Tories to act all outraged about this particular property of the system while ignoring all the others.

But you could gerrymander proportionality on purpose, and if you did it would be an improvement. Just tell the boundary commission that one of their goals was to make the system more proportional to the national share where possible. So they'd try to draw up seats that were helpful to UKIP, LibDem and Green, and take whatever opportunities showed up to do things that were unhelpful to Con and especially to Lab. It wouldn't be perfect as they'd have to guess at what would help which party, and they'd have to balance proportionality with other concerns, but it would be better than the status quo, while preserving things like the single-MP constituency link that some people say they like.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I voted against AV but would vote for an AMS system.

However STV is the spawn of Satan, whose advocates require extraordinary rendition to polar parts before a trip downstairs to their leaders HQ.

Nah, multi-member STV would be the way to go if you had to.

Retains the constituency link, gives residents different options post election if they have strong views about which MP they deal with, allows flexibility for voters do choose what they do.

I don't like the fact that people who vote for minority parties get repeated do-overs. Perhaps we could cap the number of votes at, say, 3 (for a 4 member seat) - haven't worked through the implications though. What I don't like is the complexity: how a result was calculated should be very easy to explain to the disinterested voter. That's one of FPTP's great virtues ("oh, he got the most votes so he won" vs "(well A got the most votes, but then D dropped out and his votes were transferred to A and B and C but when E dropped out all his votes went to B, so B won despite the fact that fewer people voted for him first time round)
  • Options

Patrick said:

We're talking in this thread about the possibility of Labour getting most seats on fewer votes than the Tories. So which of the two main parties would have been 'rejected by the electorate' ?
    The polls suggest the Lib Dems are facing the biggest rejection - and given how many 2010 Lib Dem voters have suffered acute buyer's remorse and returned to Labour, it would be very "brave" of Miliband to enter a coalition with them......
  • Options

Nit-picking I know, but the Votes per Seat figures for UKIP and the BNP are actually infinite (anything divided by zero).

The current seats are based on populations in 2001, and as we know there have been major population changes since then. There are always going to be some anomalies such as the natural boundaries of Wight or the Western Isles, but for many constituencies it makes little difference where the boundary lies, for example between Leicester East and Leicester South.

The Tories agreed the vote on AV and for a Lords reform bill, they did not agree to back the changes. The LDs did agree to support the boundary changes-then went back on it. Broadly I support the LDs in coalition and am happy with their performance in government, but not the petulant response to boundary reform.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The boundary changes proposed at the time by Cameron were a better start point than the current ones if you view, as Gasman says a starting point for FPTP as having equal size seats (Which is surely a good start point for a constituency system...)

The problem was for the Lib Dems that basically the system would have worked even more against them than FPTP 650 seats does now (The fact it works even more against UKIP doesn't mean it works in favour of the Lib Dems). Hence Clegg quite rationally had to knife Dave over it - HoL reform was a convenient issue to use for this purpose, but it really could have been any excuse.

As Tim formerly of this parish pointed out at the time the Conservatives should have seperated the equalisation of voter numbers and the 650 -> 600 seat change. Anyway they didn't, Clegg shafted Dave (He needed to) on this and the rest is history.

Currently the system is very bias in favour of Labour, slightly bias to the Conservatives, against the Lib Dems & very very bias against UKIP.

But post election comparisons will be made between Labour/Con and separately UKIP/Lib Dem which will lead to the Lib Dems being seen as winners from the system when in fact they aren't; and similarly the Tories as losers from the system when in fact they are winners from it.

The big winners will of course be Labour and the big losers, UKIP.

The seat equalisation may have been a smaller win for Con than you'd think looking at the raw numbers, because it would have messed up a lot of their first-term incumbency bonuses.
  • Options

You seem to have some obsession that the Tories should win.

However, you seem to base this on the economy and the character of the two potential PMs.

But, unfortunately, there are many many people who vote on other reasons.

Additionally, as we have seen, there is a small but systemic bias in the boundaries (wasn't there a thread last year which suggested it was 7-8 seats? But I don't recall if that was a total effect of 7-8 or whether that was a transfer of 7-8 from Labour to the Tories i.e. 14-16 for majority purposes). May be not a major effect, but in a tight race it could make all the difference.

But that's ok. The LibDems don't believe in doing the right thing
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Scott_P said:

Moving to 600 equally sized seats would almost certainly result in the system becoming even less proportional. The larger the constituency size, the fewer parties will be represented. 600 seats would be very bad for the Greens, UKIP and the LibDems.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

The Tories weren't gerrymandering.

Parliament agreed the principles on which the boundary review would be carried out.

The independent Boundary Commission then came up with a proposal. Of course all the parties would have lobbied, but the Commission made a decision.

And then Labour and the LibDems rejected it for nakedly partisan reasons.

I've see the damage that partisan redistricting has done to the US. It would be a disaster if redistricting became political here.
  • Options

Under FPTP it doesn't matter one bit how many votes you get nationally as its not a national election. So any complaining about nation vote tallies or % of national votes vs seats won need to be told to shut up.

The Tories wanted First Past the Post. They got First Past the Post. If their toxicity and unpopularity means they can't get first past the post in enough seats that's their own fault. Personally I'd replace it with a fully proportional system in a federal UK, but whilst FPTP remains people need to stop making pointless references to vote counts that have no bearing on how the election process actually works.

I don't think that a fully proportional system would work in a federal structure.

England would have c. 85% of the votes on anything.

You'd need regional upweighting for our Celtic friends in at least the upper house.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    The Spectator analysed the 2010 election for campaign spending with a cost of vote/cost of seat.

The BNP spent the least per vote, Labour the least per seat.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2010/12/who-got-good-valueformoney-in-the-general-election/
  • Options
    Gasman said:

BobaFett said:

Yes you can - you could have all constituency sizes the same, rather than some constituencies with 80000 people and others with 50000. What people do with their votes is up to them, but the starting point should be equal. Surely that's not to difficult to grasp?

To do that you will have to lump in coherent towns/islands with slivers of distant places to make up the numbers. The Western Isles would be lumped in with a chunk of the mainland with which it had no relationship. It would be a dog's breakfast.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    More evidence that London house price inflation is abating.

London house price rose at their slowest pace in 15 months in June and values are expected to fall as Bank of England attempts to cool the property market deter buyers, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said.

A gauge of home prices in the capital dropped to 31, the lowest since March 2013, from 50 in May, RICS said in a statement in London today, citing a poll of property surveyors. A measure of price expectations for the next quarter fell to minus 10 from 24. That indicates more respondents see declines than increases and is the weakest reading since May 2012.

“Rhetoric from key officials at the bank, including Mark Carney, alongside the consequences of the introduction of the Mortgage Market Review are already slowing momentum, particularly in London,” said Simon Rubinsohn, chief economist at RICS. “Buyer enquiries in the capital are now slipping back, which suggests that the very sharp upward move in prices will flatten over the coming months.”

Full article: http://bloom.bg/1mM7LHo

Aren't George and Mark wonderful?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    The failure to implement the boundary changes was a disgrace. There is no reason at all why a vote in the north west of England should be given so much more weight than a vote in the south. It is undemocratic and a form of disenfranchisement for those in the larger constituencies.

We also still have far too many politicians feeding off the public purse. The absurd House of Lords is the worst example of that but a reduction in the number of MPs to 600 (!) would have been a start.

But these ships have sailed and we are where we are. The quirks that meant that Labour got a substantial winners bonus for, err, losing in 2010 will in my view be much diminished in 2015. The main losers will of course be UKIP but it was ever thus for minority parties.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Charles said:

BobaFett said:

Parliament agreed the principles on which the boundary review would be carried out.

The independent Boundary Commission then came up with a proposal. Of course all the parties would have lobbied, but the Commission made a decision.

I've see the damage that partisan redistricting has done to the US. It would be a disaster if redistricting became political here.

Funnily enough, the Tory plan to base constituency sizes on numbers of registered voters rather than total populations favoured them. Whoever would have thought it?

• Options
    DavidL said:

The failure to implement the boundary changes was a disgrace. There is no reason at all why a vote in the north west of England should be given so much more weight than a vote in the south. It is undemocratic and a form of disenfranchisement for those in the larger constituencies.

We also still have far too many politicians feeding off the public purse. The absurd House of Lords is the worst example of that but a reduction in the number of MPs to 600 (!) would have been a start.

But these ships have sailed and we are where we are. The quirks that meant that Labour got a substantial winners bonus for, err, losing in 2010 will in my view be much diminished in 2015. The main losers will of course be UKIP but it was ever thus for minority parties.

Rubbish.
    Mike's graph above shows that both the Tories and Labour gain massively from the current system. The Conservatuves wanted to gerrymander the system to give themselves an even bigger premium. It really is that simple. Anyone who thinks they would have been pushing for the changes did they not advantage them is a credulous fool. I don't recall the Tories lobbying to change the system when it favoured them over Labour in the 1980s.
  • Options
    Charles said:

However, you seem to base this on the economy and the character of the two potential PMs.

Additionally, as we have seen, there is a small but systemic bias in the boundaries (wasn't there a thread last year which suggested it was 7-8 seats? But I don't recall if that was a total effect of 7-8 or whether that was a transfer of 7-8 from Labour to the Tories i.e. 14-16 for majority purposes). May be not a major effect, but in a tight race it could make all the difference.

The Tories should win. Ed is crap. Labour is drifting. The economy is improving. They can get 47% of the seats in the Commons based on 36% of the vote. All they need is a tiny upswing for the FPTP system that so favours the big two parties to deliver them a majority.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    FalseFlag said:

hucks67 said:

The polls would have to t
    BobaFett said:

As we have seen with postal votes, commitment to democracy to the left is wafer thin, if it exists. Power at any cost.
    Ever wondered why the government, which is clearly not of the left, has not abolished or severely restricted postal voting? It is because it benefits the Conservatives most of all.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Moving to 600 equally sized seats would almost certainly result in the system becoming even less proportional. The larger the constituency size, the fewer parties will be represented. 600 seats would be very bad for the Greens, UKIP and the LibDems.
    Try not to let the facts get in the way of transparent PB Tory special pleading Robert.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT Public Sector Strike Day

Listening to the radio as driving to work, was amazed to hear a NUT officer saying that he expected public support for the strike, as it is fair.

Obviously does not think of parents or if a parent will be at home anyway due to the strike.

How can a strike, about 2 weeks before school holidays (and teachers get more holidays than working parents), mid-week, that will cost parents more in child care or will have to sacrifice a day's holiday, be popular and supported by the parents?

Just looking at the Wales web-site, found more schools closed in Labour voting areas than in the other areas.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Gasman said:

BobaFett said:

To do that you will have to lump in coherent towns/islands with slivers of distant places to make up the numbers. The Western Isles would be lumped in with a chunk of the mainland with which it had no relationship. It would be a dog's breakfast.
    And there is a good reason for treating, for instance, the Isle of Wight and the Western Isles as special cases. That is very from - for instance - saying that Kensington is very different to the western part of Hammersmith.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

This daily schtick from you about Ed being crap is getting a bit boring Southam! All three leaders are somewhat crap - Ed is no more or less crap than the rest of them. Who are you going to vote for if not Labour sir?

God knows. Spoilt ballot looks the favourite at the moment.

I'm afraid we will have to disagree on Ed. He is not credible. Cameron is.

• Options

Charles said:

The Tories should win. Ed is crap. Labour is drifting. The economy is improving. They can get 47% of the seats in the Commons based on 36% of the vote. All they need is a tiny upswing for the FPTP system that so favours the big two parties to deliver them a majority.

Southam - your other records are much better and less broken than this one!
  • Options
    Do we really want an electoral system that would increase the number of Green MPs and let College into Parliament?

I'm all for fairness and all that but such a change would be a step too far.
  • Options

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

Funnily enough, the Tory plan to base constituency sizes on numbers of registered voters rather than total populations favoured them. Whoever would have thought it?

That's a philosophical debate, which was discussed in Parliament.

If the LibDems had chosen to vote differently at the point when the Boundary Commission's *remit* was being discussed, that would have been respectable.

But they didn't: they chose, instead, to reject the outcome of an independent review because was in their interests to do so.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

God knows. Spoilt ballot looks the favourite at the moment.

I'm afraid we will have to disagree on Ed. He is not credible. Cameron is.

Why?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    malcolmg said:

Bankrupt lame ducks may need to relocate to bankrupt UK to keep getting subsidised. Scotland will be left with only real banks. WE are trembling in our boots.
    If Lloyds and RBS move south of the border, what banks are left?
  • Options
    Charles said:

BobaFett said:

Gasman said:

BobaFett said:

And there is a good reason for treating, for instance, the Isle of Wight and the Western Isles as special cases. That is very from - for instance - saying that Kensington is very different to the western part of Hammersmith.
    So you are already introducing special cases. Sign of a rotten system is that you have to break it to make it work. Forget your example of west London. Try adding tiny slivers of distant towns to whole other towns separated by open country - that is the consequence of seat equalisation. It was a bonkers proposal for the geographically challenged.
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

Airdrie Savings Bank.

• Options
    DavidL said:

The Tories wanted a system that favoured them so they decided constituency sizes should be based on registered voters rather than overall populations. To pretend that this was anything other than an attempt to make a system that already favours them even more favourable is laughable. That does not make them any worse than the other parties, it just does not make them any better.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2014
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

Off the top of my head, the only bank of any size would be the Clydesdale Bank, I believe.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    BobaFett said:

DavidL said:

Rubbish.
    Mike's graph above shows that both the Tories and Labour gain massively from the current system. The Conservatuves wanted to gerrymander the system to give themselves an even bigger premium. It really is that simple. Anyone who thinks they would have been pushing for the changes did they not advantage them is a credulous fool. I don't recall the Tories lobbying to change the system when it favoured them over Labour in the 1980s.
    @BobaFett
    Obviously you do not know the meaning of 'gerrymander' To start with equal numbers of the electorate for each constituency (as far as is geographically possible) is not gerrymandering. It is democracy.

However to try to keep unequally electorate-sized constituencies for reasons of political advantage is, in effect, gerrymandering and is against democracy.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Do we really want an electoral system that would increase the number of Green MPs and let College into Parliament?

I'm all for fairness and all that but such a change would be a step too far.

Lord help us there's enough dipsticks in all parties that an extra Green or a Kipper or two isn't going to upset the wally ratio of parliament too much and some even add to the gaiety of the nation.

• Options

Charles said:

You've ignored my point.

Let's say that there's a voter somewhere in the Midlands. (Let's call him CoventryWatcher).

He understands that the economy is improving, and that Ed is crap. He doesn't like the LibDems because they are illiberal and undemocratic. But he has some mystical view dating from the 1970s that all Tories are evil and therefore won't vote for them.

The problem is that lots of voters make their decisions for reasons that are not easily explained. But if they don't think that character or economic performance are important reasons to change their vote, then the Tories' strong advantage in these areas won't help them.

That's why your analysis is flawed. The Tories "problem" is that there was such a stark difference on both of these items in 2010 that it is hard to improve on them - they captured the vast majority of voters who think these items are important.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

If the LibDems had chosen to vote differently at the point when the Boundary Commission's *remit* was being discussed, that would have been respectable.

But they didn't: they chose, instead, to reject the outcome of an independent review because was in their interests to do so.

Yes, political parties act in their own interests. That's why the Tories proposed the changes they did, it is why Labour opposed them and it is why, in the end, the LibDems did not support them.

• Options

DavidL said:

The Tories wanted a system that favoured them so they decided constituency sizes should be based on registered voters rather than overall populations. To pretend that this was anything other than an attempt to make a system that already favours them even more favourable is laughable. That does not make them any worse than the other parties, it just does not make them any better.

Correct.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Whingers and bleaters out in force on a special thread designed for them .

Equal seat sizes are totally unrelated to getting a more proportional election result in terms of % seats for % votes .
    You can have 600 constituencies with their electorates drawn at random via a raffle so that you can be in Constituency 145 , your wife in 322 and your son in 563 .Totally equal constituency sizes . Would it result in a proportional result ? No . One party with a small plurality would win all 600 seats and all other parties zero seats .
    The bleaters say that Wales are over represented with 40 MPs they should have only 32 , Labour has therefore an unfair advantage as they have the majority of MPs in Wales . Would the BC review had reduced that advantage ? No - Labour would have lost 4 MPs Conservatives 3 and Plaid 1 under the new proposed boundaries
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

Try not to let the facts get in the way of transparent PB Tory special pleading Robert.
    That is the point of the parallel shift vs. tilt argument.

The Tories don't believe that "proportionality" should be the measure of the electoral system. They want a system that creates stable government. So they are fine with a large winner's bonus.

What is wrong is that the system is tilted: that it produces an advantage for one particular party as opposed to a broadly similar advantage for all potential parties of government
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

You've ignored my point.

Let's say that there's a voter somewhere in the Midlands. (Let's call him CoventryWatcher).

He understands that the economy is improving, and that Ed is crap. He doesn't like the LibDems because they are illiberal and undemocratic. But he has some mystical view dating from the 1970s that all Tories are evil and therefore won't vote for them.

The problem is that lots of voters make their decisions for reasons that are not easily explained. But if they don't think that character or economic performance are important reasons to change their vote, then the Tories' strong advantage in these areas won't help them.

That's why your analysis is flawed. The Tories "problem" is that there was such a stark difference on both of these items in 2010 that it is hard to improve on them - they captured the vast majority of voters who think these items are important.

Got it - so the Tories need to make the electoral system more robust to protect the country from the actions of people who "illogically" do not vote Tory.

• Options
    Financier said:

BobaFett said:

DavidL said:

Rubbish.
    @BobaFett
    Obviously you do not know the meaning of 'gerrymander' To start with equal numbers of the electorate for each constituency (as far as is geographically possible) is not gerrymandering. It is democracy.

However to try to keep unequally electorate-sized constituencies for reasons of political advantage is, in effect, gerrymandering and is against democracy.

The issue, of course, is how you define equal sized constituencies. If your definition is the one that brings you the most electoral advantage then that is a form of gerrymandering.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

Gasman said:

BobaFett said:

So you are already introducing special cases. Sign of a rotten system is that you have to break it to make it work. Forget your example of west London. Try adding tiny slivers of distant towns to whole other towns separated by open country - that is the consequence of seat equalisation. It was a bonkers proposal for the geographically challenged.
    There was a margin of error ( +/- 5K?) to deal with that.

But equally, the difference between Fleet and Alton in Hampshire is not that significant.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

Yes, political parties act in their own interests. That's why the Tories proposed the changes they did, it is why Labour opposed them and it is why, in the end, the LibDems did not support them.

The LibDems supported the *principle* of the change.

They voted against the independent commissions recommendation.

That's the difference.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371

DavidL said:

Registered voters seems to me the only valid basis on which to allocate seats. Only those registered can vote so the others do not count whether they are eligible for the vote or not.

That said the number of unregistered voters in this country, largely still a consequence of the Poll tax fiasco, is a disgrace and it is incredible that in 13 years of government Labour did so little about it.

In a modern society the State has so much information about most of us. It is wrong that information is not used to ensure the right to vote. As an example if you can satisfy the state that you qualify for housing benefit you should be automatically registered to vote. If you register your children in a school you should be registered. If you fill in a tax return etc etc. We need to be wary of fraud but all of these activities involve far more information than we currently require to register to vote.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Charles said:

BobaFett said:

Gasman said:

BobaFett said:

Reminds me of the old club joke.

"I have bad news for you, old boy".

"What is that?"

"Your wife is having an affair."

"Oh that's nothing to worry about. We have an open marriage".

"But the news is worse."

"It is?"

"The bounder is from West Kensington".

"West Kensington? Now that is serious."

Now imagine the reaction if it were Hammersmith!
  • Options
    Financier said:

BobaFett said:

DavidL said:

Rubbish.
    @BobaFett

There is no contradiction -- you can gerrymander equally-sized constituencies by choosing to draw the boundaries so as to favour the party of your choice.

And by choosing what the equal size should be (so how many constituencies) and what should be equally sized (voters, registered voters, inhabitants).
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Hard to take Tories seriously on this. They are perfectly willing to accept unfairness in constituencies when it suits them.

For example in West Sussex, I can't see many Tories complaining about boundaries when they get 100% of the seats on 40% of the vote. Whereas the Lib Dems on 30% of the vote get absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    O/T - why can't I see the comment as I'm typing it?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Got it - so the Tories need to make the electoral system more robust to protect the country from the actions of people who "illogically" do not vote Tory.

No. Voters balance all sorts of different things in their voting decision.

* Tribalism - I personally believe that this is illogical
    * Thinking that "saving the NHS" is the only thing that matters - I disagree, but logical given a certain value set, and could encourage one to vote Labour
    * Education: believing that "fairness" is more important than achieving the best possible education outcome for as many kids as possible - again, I disagree, but logical given a certain value set and could encourage one to vote Labour

There are lots of non-economic and non-character reasons to vote Labour. Your analysis is flawed because it implies that economy/character are the only things that matter
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Charles said:

BobaFett said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

Gasman said:

BobaFett said:

There was a margin of error ( +/- 5K?) to deal with that.

But equally, the difference between Fleet and Alton in Hampshire is not that significant.
    The margin of error +/- 5% was insufficient to deal with that hence the proposed constituency with 3 left over bits of Cheshire with no relationship to each other and no transport connections between them . A MofE of +/- 10% would have worked much better .
  • Options

Maybe it is not just an old wives' tale.
  • Options

Communications intercept.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Charles said:

BobaFett said:

Gasman said:

BobaFett said:

Reminds me of the old club joke.

"I have bad news for you, old boy".

"What is that?"

"Your wife is having an affair."

"Oh that's nothing to worry about. We have an open marriage".

"But the news is worse."

"It is?"

"The bounder is from West Kensington".

"West Kensington? Now that is serious."

Now imagine the reaction if it were Hammersmith!
    The boundary used to be Warwick Road. Now parts of W14 are really quite nice. There's still a 20% difference in house prices though (50% vs the Phillimore Estate)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Registered voters seems to me the only valid basis on which to allocate seats. Only those registered can vote so the others do not count whether they are eligible for the vote or not.

That said the number of unregistered voters in this country, largely still a consequence of the Poll tax fiasco, is a disgrace and it is incredible that in 13 years of government Labour did so little about it.

In a modern society the State has so much information about most of us. It is wrong that information is not used to ensure the right to vote. As an example if you can satisfy the state that you qualify for housing benefit you should be automatically registered to vote. If you register your children in a school you should be registered. If you fill in a tax return etc etc. We need to be wary of fraud but all of these activities involve far more information than we currently require to register to vote.

MPs represent all their constituents, not just the ones that are on the electoral register. Many options were suggested to reflect this. The Tories ignored these and chose the one that suited them best.

This discussion has been closed.