Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trying to explain why the Ashcroft National Poll appears to

SystemSystem Posts: 11,699
edited July 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trying to explain why the Ashcroft National Poll appears to be so erratic

At the excellent PB gathering in Ilkley last night the big topic of conversation was the extraordinary Ashcroft national poll which saw the 2% CON lead of last week become a 7% LAB one.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    Or it could be that there is no longer any uniformity between voters views in typical demograpic areas anymore which will make life very difficult for pollsters unless they do enourmous samples.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    The Labour range of 31-35 is much tighter that of the Cons which is 25-34. Is this a UKIP effect? Will have to look more closely
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Alex Salmond’s financial proposals for Scotland were dealt a fresh blow last night when they were criticised by one of the world’s leading economists.

The first minister has based the economic case for independence partly on increased productivity and partly on a significant cut in corporation tax.

However, Richard Harris warned that Scotland was already lagging behind the rest of the UK in terms of productivity and there was no evidence that this would change. He said that cutting corporation tax would almost certainly fail to lift Scottish productivity to the levels needed.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article4141700.ece
  • Options
    Alex Salmond has been accused of personally pressurising the body that represents Scotland's financial services to drop a report on independence, The Telegraph can disclose.

The First Minister telephoned the chairman of the Scottish Financial Enterprise (SFE) last November and is said to have discouraged him from publishing a briefing paper on the referendum.

Both Mr Salmond and John Swinney, the finance minister, are also alleged to have rung senior executives of leading SFE member companies expressing their concerns about the paper.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10952644/Alex-Salmond-personally-pressurised-financial-body-to-drop-independence-report.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Or it could be that there is no longer any uniformity between voters views in typical demograpic areas anymore which will make life very difficult for pollsters unless they do enourmous samples.

Or that there is a larger number of people who genuinely do not have firm views and are quite capable of giving different answers about which non-government party they would like to see.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest ARSE 2015 General Election Projection Countdown :

2 hours 2 minutes 2 seconds
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Or that there is a larger number of people who genuinely do not have firm views and are quite capable of giving different answers about which non-government party they would like to see.
    I think there is some truth here. There has been a decline in affiliation to most organisations so less political tribalism, and more difficulty weighting.

The whole concept of weighting is fraught with potential for bias due to the the large adjustments to the raw data. It is the trend over time with the same methodology that is most useful. As yet Ashcroft has no clear trend.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Matt's take on the TDF - grumpy old man edition. ; )

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    Sky News - M&S clothing sales down 0.6% in the last quarter.

Speculation that the fall has been caused by OGH changing from Marks and Spencer Y fronts to Calvin Klein boxers is rife in the world of Bedford haute couture.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Scott_P said:

Alex Salmond has been accused of personally pressurising the body that represents Scotland's financial services to drop a report on independence, The Telegraph can disclose.

The First Minister telephoned the chairman of the Scottish Financial Enterprise (SFE) last November and is said to have discouraged him from publishing a briefing paper on the referendum.

Both Mr Salmond and John Swinney, the finance minister, are also alleged to have rung senior executives of leading SFE member companies expressing their concerns about the paper.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10952644/Alex-Salmond-personally-pressurised-financial-body-to-drop-independence-report.html

You really are a sad little person, what will you do after a YES vote.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    After all the celebrity paedophilia, I always wondered how the pop groups managed to survive their escapades with the bye-gone groupies. I doubt if they ever checked birth certificates.

And the Stones' drummer Bill Wyman had that publicised affair with a girl that began when she was thirteen.
  • Options
    Re: YouGov: 34/37/9/13/4

Little movement on the subsidiaries except on Taxation where Cons move from +4 to +10.

The YG polls (published in July) 2010 splits, show that both the Cons and LDs are retaining more of their supporters and losing less to UKIP. Also the LDs are losing a few less to Labour.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    IF ICM did a weekly poll, that would tell us what we needed to know regularly. Stick to the Gold Standard, you know it makes sense.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

After all the celebrity paedophilia, I always wondered how the pop groups managed to survive their escapades with the bye-gone groupies. I doubt if they ever checked birth certificates.

And the Stones' drummer Bill Wyman had that publicised affair with a girl that began when she was thirteen.

As I understand it, sexual relations with a person under 16 is still illegal and that no complaint has to be made before the police takes action. It would appear that the police take a Nelsonian approach to this law and upholding this law would give them too much work. Logically every mother that gives birth under the age of 16 should have to name the father who should be prosecuted.

Whilst this Nelsonian approach has happened for decades, who gave the guidance to the police; as a time when the police pick and choose which laws they uphold is a very dangerous time and is the start of a police state.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Very disappointed that you didn't include TSE's shoes in your video...
  • Options

1 hour 1 minutes 1 second
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2014
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

You really are a sad little person, what will you do after a YES vote.
    Since it looks like most of us will be over 100 yrs old by the time there is a future YES vote, I would guess that we would be reading the congrats from our King.
  • Options
    People are being "let down" by poor public services, according to a member of the commission that proposed a major overhaul of the public sector.

Nick Bennett, a member of the Williams Commission, will soon become Wales' public services ombudsman.

Published in January, the Williams commission said the 22 local councils should be cut to as few as 10.

Mr Bennett said he was "disappointed" a cross-party deal could not be reached by Easter - the date set in the Williams report for ministers and councils to agree a way forward - and urged politicians not to treat the report's recommendations as a "political football".

"Currently the people of Wales are being let down," said Mr Bennett.

"Too often services are poor and patchy. Perhaps you can have excellence and mediocrity or even failure within the same local government structure.

"We've got to be more ambitious as a nation and we've got to insist upon better."

Mr Bennett said the "status quo is not an option".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28197270
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.

Early days, but when the 2015 F1 Drivers' market goes up one thing I'll be looking for are the odds on Bottas, depending how Williams continue to develop. With Rosberg, Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel (and maybe Ricciardo) having undoubtedly short odds, I'm hoping the odds might be tempting on Bottas.

Incidentally, I hope the young maths student whose name escapes me delurks. He talked a lot of sense.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,436
    Financier said:

Little movement on the subsidiaries except on Taxation where Cons move from +4 to +10.

The YG polls (published in July) 2010 splits, show that both the Cons and LDs are retaining more of their supporters and losing less to UKIP. Also the LDs are losing a few less to Labour.

That is consistent with the by-weekly Populus data. In addition to those movements there appears to be an increased LD to Green shift. This could be previous LD to Labour movers deciding that Green is now better.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,368
    I am not sure I understand how turnout filtering is feeding into the extraordinary volatility of this poll. If the poll was finding a lot of poorly motivated voters who were probably not going to vote at all at the end of the day then I can certainly see why the poll might indicate an inaccurate result. I agree with OGH that this is where the filter applied by ICM is tried and tested.

It seems more likely to me that the problem here is weighting. They are getting 500 random responses but are not weighting them back to the actual voting of the last election or alternatively getting a fully representative mix of social groups (IPSOS). The result is a much greater volatility than we see in other polls who will smooth out that any particular group of respondents happens to have more self employed or unemployed or tories or whatever than national make up or the previous election indicates.

Weighting is tricky, especially when you have a new force like UKIP and a long track record which allows the results to be refined against previous election results clearly helps. What I find odd is that although Lord Ashcroft's polling (in this form) is new my understanding is that he has an established pollster doing it for him so he is hardly starting from scratch.

As things stand these polls look like a waste of money to me telling us nothing other than the make up of the panel this week. That is a pity and I would hope that Lord Ashcroft would look to get better value for his money. These polls should be a better contribution to the debate than they currently are.
  • Options

Financier said:

That is consistent with the by-weekly Populus data. In addition to those movements there appears to be an increased LD to Green shift. This could be previous LD to Labour movers deciding that Green is now better.
    YG shows LD to Green shift steady with the figures with last month, but this shift seemed to have increased after EU14.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    BJESUS 8.7.14

LAB 330 (329) CON 264(268) LD 32(29) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    Last weeks BJESUS in brackets
    BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)
    Using current polling adjusted for 300 days left to go factor and using UKPR
    standard swingometer
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014
    Bad news replaced by Good News or, at least, Better News

On June 24th, the CBI Distributive Trades Survey reported that retail sales growth had slowed badly in June, setting off alarm bells:

the balance of retailers that reported sales were up year-on-year crashed to a seven-month low of +4% in June from +16% in May and +30% in April.

The CBI said a fall in clothing and food sales contributed to a disappointing month on the high street, and cautioned that slow wage growth continued to weigh on consumer sentiment.

Some commentators even suggested that the downturn might delay a BoE rate rise.

With the early retail sales forecasts/surveys it is always worth waiting to get a broad picture from a number of sources.

We now have the Visa Consumer Expenditure Index in for June and the alarm can be put on snooze. Yes there has been a slowing in the rate of growth in June, but this may only be month-to-month volatility combined with the annual baseline, June 2013, recording an above trend high. The second quarter of 2014, taken as a whole, recorded the highest annual growth rate since 2010.

All the same there was growth in only four of the eight spending sectors compared to seven out of eight last month, so it will be prudent to wait for the July figures before reaching any final conclusion on trends.

The tables:
    =================================================================
    Visa Europe UK Consumer Expenditure Index
    June 2014 Summary Table
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Jun May Apr
    Overall Spending Annual SA +0.6% +1.0% +2.9%
    Overall Spending Monthly SA +0.4% -1.1% 0.0%

Face-to-Face Spending Annual NSA +1.1% +1.4% +3.3%
    Online Spending Annual NSA +2.6% +0.7% +4.8%
    =================================================================
    =========================================================
    Annual Growth Rates by Sector Jun May
    Broad Sector 2014 2014
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Food, Beverages & Tobacco +2.7% +3.4%
    Clothing & Footwear +2.0% +5.5%
    Household Goods +0.2% +0.8%
    Health & Education -2.2% +0.7%
    Transport & Communication -0.8% +0.1%
    Recreation & Culture -1.1% +0.9%
    Hotels & Restaurants +9.3% +7.9%
    Misc. Goods & Services -8.9% -16.3%
    =========================================================
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,449
    Good morning. Well it certainly looks like the venue last night was as pleasant if not more so than the usual London venue. The polling certainly seems to be odd obviously Lord Ashcroft's polls are a tad more obviously volatile than some of the others but it does seem that of late the polls have been bouncing about a little, perhaps its summer, post-Euros or something. It certainly makes politics more intriguing, but I think there can be a case of having too much of a good thing. Polls are great as snapshots of opinion and a pointer over time to trends but I just think we may be in danger of just having too many and not being able to see the woods for the trees.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I offer sincere apologies to all that attended the get together at the Flying Duck last night, and especially TSE who I really wanted to meet again.

Unfortunately I had a bit of a medical incident yesterday afternoon and couldn't go out in the evening.

I hope that all who did go enjoyed a touch of Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Mr. Rog, sorry to hear that. Hope it wasn't/isn't too serious.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,368
    Better news is that optimism amongst manufacturers is at a record high: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10951532/Optimism-among-UK-manufacturers-at-record-high-says-BCC.html

A clear majority also expect to see profitability to improve although I have some trouble in seeing how when there are rising input pressures and price increases in output seem extremely difficult to put through.

The key for the economy as a whole is that optimism has to be converted into investment. Although there has been some good news here there are still problems with credit availability and increasingly concerns about the state of some parts of the world economy, especially the EU.

As I have said before we need a long sustained period of above trend growth to make the spending cuts that the next government (of whatever complexion) will have to introduce less painful.
  • Options

5 minutes
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,986

Mr. Rog, sorry to hear that. Hope it wasn't/isn't too serious.

Likewise, hope you are tip top soon.
  • Options
    BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS **** BREAKING WIND NEWS ****

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to the JNN the contents of the latest ARSE 2015 General Election and "JackW Dozen" Projections. (Change from 24th June Projection) :

Con 307 (-5) .. Lab 282 (+8) .. LibDem 30 (-2) .. SNP 8 .. PC 2 .. NI 18 .. UKIP 1 (-1) .. Respect 0 .. Green 1 .. Ind 0 .. Speaker 1

Conservatives 19 seats short of a majority
    Labour 44 seats short of a majority
    ......................................................................................

"JackW Dozen" - 13 seats that will shape the General Election result :

Bury North - TCTC
    Pudsey - TCTC
    Broxtowe - Likely Lab Gain
    Warwickshire North - Likely Lab Gain
    Cambridge - Likely LibDem Hold
    Ipswich - TCTC
    Watford - TCTC
    Croydon Central - Likely Con Hold
    Enfield - TCTC
    Cornwall North - TCTC
    Great Yarmouth - Con Hold (From Likely Con Hold)
    Vale of Glamorgan - Likely Con Hold
    Ochil and South Perthshire - Likely Lab Hold (From TCTC)

Changes From 24th June - Great Yarmouth moves from Likely Con Hold to Con Hold and Ochil and South Perthshire moves from TCTC to Likely Lab Hold.

TCTC - Too Close To Call - Less than 500 votes
    Likely Hold/Gain - 500 - 2500 votes
    Gain/Hold - Over 2500 votes
    .......................................................................................

WIND - Whimsical Independent News Division
    JNN - Jacobite News Network
    ARSE - Anonymous Random Selection of Electors
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Any thoughts on Brighton? (obviously a green hold in your current figures, but would it be a firm hold, or only likely?)
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Interesting that The Sun and Daily Mail between them have lost 1.2m in daily circulation since 2010.

That's the chances of future Tory majorities seeping away right there.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    @JackW - re your other thing, I hope we'll have resolution today
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    RobD said:

Any thoughts on Brighton? (obviously a green hold in your current figures, but would it be a firm hold, or only likely?)

Outside of the "JackW Dozen" it is broadly not my intention to give a running commentary on other seats.

Clearly the Green single seat projection is for Brighton Pavilion and it is a "Likely Green Hold" at the top end of the range noted below.

Brighton Pavilion was not included in the "JackW Dozen" because as an "anomaly seat" it will have no bearing on the overall landscape of the General Election.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

@JackW - re your other thing, I hope we'll have resolution today

Thank you.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    On Jack’s figures, would posters expect a continuation of the Coalition or a Tory Minority government?
    Given that the LD’s will have lost half their seats, I’d expect the latter, although how easy will that be to sustain with fixed term Parliaments?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    JackW said:

RobD said:

Outside of the "JackW Dozen" it is broadly not my intention to give a running commentary on other seats.

Clearly the Green single seat projection is for Brighton Pavilion and it is a "Likely Green Hold" at the top end of the range noted below.

Brighton Pavilion was not included in the "JackW Dozen" because as an "anomaly seat" it will have no bearing on the overall landscape of the General Election.

Thanks!

It'd be interesting if you labelled the swing required for each seat in your next update
  • Options
    "Signs of weakness in Q2" says British Chambers of Commerce.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jul/08/interest-rate-rises-chambers-of-commerce-economic-recovery

Of course a rate rise would derail the current recovery. The current recovery is entirely due to the low interest rate hence its brittle nature.

Talk of a rate rise massively premature.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited July 2014

or calculate the party percentages of the various combinations of ses + ethnicity + public/private sector and then do constituency headcounts

edit: age as well
  • Options
    BenM said:

Interesting that The Sun and Daily Mail between them have lost 1.2m in daily circulation since 2010.

That's the chances of future Tory majorities seeping away right there.

You might say the same for Labour and the circulation falls for the Mirror, Sunday Mirror, People, their Scottish counterparts and also the Guardian, Observer and Indy titles.

The dead tree press numbers have little or no bearing on election outcomes in the 21st century.

• Options
    We are not, are we, looking at the Greens losing Brighton Pavilion but winning Norwich South?
  • Options
    RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Thanks!

It'd be interesting if you labelled the swing required for each seat in your next update
    Perhaps you'd like blood too !!

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    I wonder if it's not simply the small sample. A sample of 1000 is reasonably good. The standard error of a sample of 500 is pretty big. Personally I don't think there is any great fluctuation really happening. People who are interested in politics have mostly decided, and people who aren't interested are mostly saying don't know, though as I posted last night there's possibly a small Labour-leaning group who sway from don't know when the political climate warms up and lapse back when it cools down.
    Blue_rog said:

Unfortunately I had a bit of a medical incident yesterday afternoon and couldn't go out in the evening.

Hope you're feeling better, Blue_rog.
    Financier said:

As I understand it, sexual relations with a person under 16 is still illegal and that no complaint has to be made before the police takes action. It would appear that the police take a Nelsonian approach to this law and upholding this law would give them too much work. Logically every mother that gives birth under the age of 16 should have to name the father who should be prosecuted.

Whilst this Nelsonian approach has happened for decades, who gave the guidance to the police; as a time when the police pick and choose which laws they uphold is a very dangerous time and is the start of a police state.

I believe there's a fairly clear exemption applied in practice if the age gap is small - nobody wants to prosecute a 16-year-old for sleeping with someone on the night before their 16th birthday. Not sure how it arose or what it is - 2 or 3 years, I think, but makes the distinction between teenagers getting carried away and dirty old men. I agree that some pop groups seem to have got away with murder despite being way over this rule.

• Options

We are not, are we, looking at the Greens losing Brighton Pavilion but winning Norwich South?

See my 9.09am post below.

• Options
    JackW said:

The dead tree press numbers have little or no bearing on election outcomes in the 21st century.

Indeed. That should worry Tories like yourself.
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

Thanks!

Perhaps you'd like blood too !!

Sweat and tears would suffice :p
  • Options
    BenM said:

Talk of a rate rise massively premature.

Great to see you back posting, Ben.

Have you passed your Economics prelims while you have been away?

Your conclusion at least seems much more on target than before.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    BenM said:

JackW said:

Indeed. That should worry Tories like yourself.
    Your return presages your usual errors.

Coalitionista yes .... Tory no.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    if media effect = TV + papers + internet then decline of papers means increase in the TV and internet effects

so net effect would depend on what you think the net TV and internet effects are

e.g. if you thought the BBC had a big anti-right effect and the papers a big pro-right effect then the decline of the papers would have a net anti-right effect
  • Options
    One essential that will not change is that :

Ed Miliband Will Never Become Prime Minister

JacW 22/6/14

BJESUS Ed is crap is PM interesting just under 10 months ahead.

Who will be proved right?

I notice ARSE moved closer to BJESUS and a little closer to the possibility of EICIPM in past 2 weeks?
  • Options
    JackW said:

The breaking news is that WIND is reporting to the JNN the contents of the latest ARSE 2015 General Election and "JackW Dozen" Projections. (Change from 24th June Projection) :

Con 307 (-5) .. Lab 282 (+8) .. LibDem 30 (-2) .. SNP 8 .. PC 2 .. NI 18 .. UKIP 1 (-1) .. Respect 0 .. Green 1 .. Ind 0 .. Speaker 1

.......................................................................................

There's a very close correlation between JackW's ARSE and Stephen Fisher's latest respective GE seat projections:

.......................... JackW .................... Fisher

Con ...................... 307 ....................... 305
    Lab ...................... 282 ....................... 288
    LibDem .................. 30 ......................... 28
    Others .................... 31 ........................ 29

Total .................... 650 ....................... 650

They can't both be wrong, surely?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Good news even for Alanbrooke

It appears George Osborne and George Carney have finally got round to listening to the Warwickshire Malcontents.

Dozens of banks are poised to enter the market in the wake of barriers to new entrants being lifted, according to regulators.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Bank of England’s Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) said five times as many businesses are currently applying for banking licences as were granted them last year.

And before the cynics start questioning the "five times" statement, there were 5 applications for new [retail] banking licences last year (3 granted) compared with 25 this year.

See; http://bit.ly/1pUP6vd

Of course, I could add historical stats for shares of the UK retail banking market taken by new entrants or start up banks, but let's not spoil the morning. Mr. Brooke should be permitted to get his pre-holiday tan by basking in the glory of George's sunshine.
  • Options

BJESUS Ed is crap ...

Heh

Somewhat more seriously though, I do like the acronym!

• Options
    edited July 2014

I wonder if it's not simply the small sample. A sample of 1000 is reasonably good. The standard error of a sample of 500 is pretty big. Personally I don't think there is any great fluctuation really happening. People who are interested in politics have mostly decided, and people who aren't interested are mostly saying don't know, though as I posted last night there's possibly a small Labour-leaning group who sway from don't know when the political climate warms up and lapse back when it cools down.

Blue_rog said:

Financier said:

I believe there's a fairly clear exemption applied in practice if the age gap is small - nobody wants to prosecute a 16-year-old for sleeping with someone on the night before their 16th birthday. Not sure how it arose or what it is - 2 or 3 years, I think, but makes the distinction between teenagers getting carried away and dirty old men. I agree that some pop groups seem to have got away with murder despite being way over this rule.

Nick,

What concerns me is the consistency or rather lack of consistency in the application of the law. For example drivers at 35mph are often prosecuted but publicans who serve people who are very intoxicated are not and we see the effects on our streets and in A&E.

If a law is a bad law, then surely it is up to our MPs to get it changed or if a law is not enforced then to ensure it is enforced. This should come from the home secretary as we do not want to see inconsistencies on law enforcement across the UK or private interpretation by Chief Constables.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

It appears George Osborne and George Carney have finally got round to listening to the Warwickshire Malcontents.

Dozens of banks are poised to enter the market in the wake of barriers to new entrants being lifted, according to regulators.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Bank of England’s Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) said five times as many businesses are currently applying for banking licences as were granted them last year.

And before the cynics start questioning the "five times" statement, there were 5 applications for new [retail] banking licences last year (3 granted) compared with 25 this year.

Of course, I could add historical stats for shares of the UK retail banking market taken by new entrants or start up banks, but let's not spoil the morning. Mr. Brooke should be permitted to get his pre-holiday tan by basking in the glory of George's sunshine.

Including that chap from Burnley who got the advertorial on Channel 4 a year or so ago?
  • Options
    BJESUS prediction GE2015 - To be released between 8.30 and 8.50 every Tuesday till GE 2015

24.6.14 LAB 330 CON 263 LD 33 UKIP 0 Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)

Using current polling adjusted for 316 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer
    BJESUS prediction GE2015 - To be released at 8.50 every Tuesday till 5/5/15

1.7.14 LAB 329(330) CON 268 (263) LD 29(33) UKIP 0(0) Others 24(24) (Ed is crap is PM)
    Using current polling adjusted for 309 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer

8.7.14 LAB 330 (329) CON 264(268) LD 32(29) UKIP 0(0) Others 24 (Ed is crap is PM)
    Using current polling adjusted for 302 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer

BJESUS consistently right or wrong
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Mr Bigjohnowls are not most of us consistently right or wrong? As opposed to consistently right OR consistently wrong?
  • Options

JackW said:

There's a very close correlation between JackW's ARSE and Stephen Fisher's latest respective GE seat projections:

.......................... JackW .................... Fisher

Con ...................... 307 ....................... 305
    Lab ...................... 282 ....................... 288
    LibDem .................. 30 ......................... 28
    Others .................... 31 ........................ 29

Total .................... 650 ....................... 650

They can't both be wrong, surely?
    I couldn't possibly comment on this newcomer Fisher chap or what appears to be his over familiarity with my ARSE.

However, it's mildly flattering to note that denizens of academia are appearing at the side lines waving their imitations in direction of my ARSE.

• Options
    Whoops.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jul/08/marks-and-spencer-results-clothing-sales-agm-business-live#block-53bbac6fe4b0e7b8fe27820c
    UK manufacturing output suffers shock fall in May

Crumbs! UK manufacturing output has suffered its biggest decline in 16 months, suggesting that Britain's recovery may not be as secure as hoped.

Total factory production across the UK fell by 0.7% in May compared to April, dashing expectations of a 0.2% rise.

And manufacturing led the decline, with output falling by an alarming 1.3% -- economists expected a 0.4% increase.

• Options

Mr Bigjohnowls are not most of us consistently right or wrong? As opposed to consistently right OR consistently wrong?

True
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Ashcroft MOE teething issues for a new poll. Seems to me to be bouncing around mid-points of Labour 33%, Tories 29%...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    BenM said:

Whoops.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jul/08/marks-and-spencer-results-clothing-sales-agm-business-live#block-53bbac6fe4b0e7b8fe27820c

Crumbs! UK manufacturing output has suffered its biggest decline in 16 months, suggesting that Britain's recovery may not be as secure as hoped.

Total factory production across the UK fell by 0.7% in May compared to April, dashing expectations of a 0.2% rise.

And manufacturing led the decline, with output falling by an alarming 1.3% -- economists expected a 0.4% increase.

This will make Avery's day.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2014
    Sounds like a very pleasant gathering in lovely Yorkshire, a county almost as attractive and interesting as Sussex.

On topic: Mike is confusing two different points when he writes "if accuracy was down to sample size alone then how come YouGov’s 6,000 sample final online poll fared so badly in the GE2010 accuracy table behind five pollsters with 1,000 sample phone polls?"

The sample size determines the random statistical error of a poll, in other words the volatility from one poll to the next arising purely from the fact that your sample might have randomly happened to pick up a few more or a few less of the supporters of a particular party. The random error in the Ashcroft polls is high because the sample size is small - less than 500, after adjusting for Don't Knows etc. (And it is made worse, as Oblitus has pointed out previously, by the fact that some important groups are heavily weighted up, which means the real sample size is effectively even smaller than it appears at first sight). Therefore, irrespective of any other considerations, you would expect the Ashcroft polls to vary randomly by several percent from one poll to the next, even if actually nothing whatsoever has changed. That is exactly what we see.

There is a totally separate set of errors, related to a systematic bias. If, for example, you carried out very large polls by telephoning people at their workplace, you might get consistent results from week to week (because your sample size is very large, the random error would be small), but they'd be consistently wrong because your sample is biased towards people of working age who are in employment. Pollsters therefore try to to minimise systematic bias through various sampling and weighting techniques, but it's not an exact science. So the fact that YouGov's last poll wasn't particularly accurate could mean that their weighting were slightly wrong or that their sampling technique under-represented some significant voting groups, which systematically (rather than randomly) skewed the result slightly. Of course it might also be the case that some other pollster equally had weightings slightly wrong but, by chance, the random error compensated for this in their last poll.

We see a good example of systematic bias in the current UKIP figures, where some pollsters consistently have much higher figures than others. Clearly, therefore, there must be a systematic error in at least some of the polling methods used, even if we can't be sure which if any is right.

It's a pity that the Ashcroft polls do have such relatively small sample sizes. He might get better value for his money if he did the polls less often but with bigger samples.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    BenM said:

Usually means a North Sea oil field went down for unexpected maintenance....
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    BenM said:

Whoops.

Two Bank holidays in May,and the start of a holiday season? As opposed to a quiet (ish at least) Easter Can you really sensibly compare succeeding months, Surely the sensible comparison is with the same month the previous year? What were things like in April & May 2013?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

BenM said:

No. What it is showing is monthly volatility.

May 2014 grew by 2.3% over May 2013.
    Apr 2014 grew by 2.9% over Apr 2014.

This mainly explains why May 2014 over Apr 2014 shows a decline of 0.7% (with manufacturing down 1.3%).

Variations caused by changing baseline comparators are not covered until the second year of Ben's economic degree course.
  • Options

Ashcroft MOE teething issues for a new poll. Seems to me to be bouncing around mid-points of Labour 33%, Tories 29%...

Todays Ashcroft bouncing around mid points poll!!!

LAB 342 CON 248 LD 31 Other 29 (ukpr)

Ed is Crap is PM Less than 10 months to go
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    It would be interesting (for me) to learn every detail of the various pollsters' methods. But, in ignorance, it looks to me that the Ashcroft polls are being *honest* in reporting what they get, without fudging---respect (I think). It may reflect sample size and voter volatility, in which case one might well expect crossovers in these polls.
    Polls are not elections.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    MikeK said:

BenM said:

Whoops.

It really has made my day as the Guardian don't even understand the figures.

"Total factory production across the UK fell by 0.7%"

No.

What fell by 0.7% (on a month on previous month basis) was Total Production including the four subsectors, Manufacturing; Mining and quarrying [the North Sea bit]; Electricity, gas, steam & air conditioning; and , Water supply, sewerage & waste management.

If the Guardian had understood the figures they would have been banging on about a 1.3% month on previous month fall in "total factory production across the UK".

Even Ben got that bit right.

What neither mentioned was that the 0.7% fall was increased by a 0.1% downward revision to growth in Apr 2014.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

BenM said:

Whoops.

No.

What fell by 0.7% (on a month on previous month basis) was Total Production including the four subsectors, Manufacturing; Mining and quarrying [the North Sea bit]; Electricity, gas, steam & air conditioning; and , Water supply, sewerage & waste management.

If the Guardian had understood the figures they would have been banging on about a 1.3% month on previous month fall in "total factory production across the UK".

What neither mentioned was that the 0.7% fall was increased by a 0.1% downward revision to growth in Apr 2014.

Genuine question. If the figures include water supply, sewerage & waste management, where does handling the winter-spring floods come in?
  • Options
    OGH: "The Ilkley gathering: Check out this short YouTube that I took with my phone last night."
    A fine looking bunch of Tykes, but where were all the Laydeez?
  • Options
    edited July 2014

AveryLP said:

Including that chap from Burnley who got the advertorial on Channel 4 a year or so ago?
    I don't know as the BoE does not release the names of the applicants for licences until granted (for competitive reasons).

That doesn't however stop the applicants themselves announcing if they so wish.

I did read somewhere that the Burnley chap got his knuckles rapped by the regulators though but it wasn't for the kind of mistake that this would cause the BoE to stop his application.

• Options
    F1: nothing serious, but £100 on Mercedes for the Constructors (Ladbrokes) would now win you 20p profit.

I'm surprised they don't just take that market down and put up a winner without Mercedes and Top 3 markets.

Williams have a good chance of overtaking Ferrari for third.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The excellent Anthony Wells on the volatility of the Ashcroft (and other) polls:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8892
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Financier said:

Blue_rog said:

Financier said:

Nick,

What concerns me is the consistency or rather lack of consistency in the application of the law. For example drivers at 35mph are often prosecuted but publicans who serve people who are very intoxicated are not and we see the effects on our streets and in A&E.

If a law is a bad law, then surely it is up to our MPs to get it changed or if a law is not enforced then to ensure it is enforced. This should come from the home secretary as we do not want to see inconsistencies on law enforcement across the UK or private interpretation by Chief Constables.

Probably because once they are on the streets, or in A and E, it is impossible to tell how intoxicated they were, or appeared to be, at some indeterminate point during the evening in one of the bars in which they had been drinking. You can only nab irresponsible serving of alcohol at the point of it being served, which would call for a police presence in bars, taking them off the streets.
    The problem which actually needs to be dealt with is cheap booze in supermarkets and the associated culture of pre drinking before a night out in the clubs.
    As opposed to speeding which is an illegal act captured as it happens.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    Daniel Hannan (@DanHannanMEP)
    09/06/2014 08:35
    Enoch Powell's uncannily accurate prediction of the euro crisis in 1978. (via @WhiteWednesday): #HeWhoMustNotBeNamed pic.twitter.com/793AuZDZeH
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

BenM said:

Whoops.

No.

Well there's statistics and statistics. There really should be one national measure of growth and output, or lack of, that easy to understand and explain to the uninitiated, like me.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

AveryLP said:

Genuine question. If the figures include water supply, sewerage & waste management, where does handling the winter-spring floods come in?

The impact would have mainly been on February 2014 with some carry over to March. So the current bulletin won't be impacted, although next months figures will have a preliminary Q2 on Q1 comparison.

In general the impact of the floods was not significant enough for the ONS to call them a "special event" but I would expect you to be right in speculating that the water etc subsector would have been most affected.

Here is the full blurb on the sub-sector from this bulletin:

Water & waste management

Water supply, sewerage & waste management output increased by 2.3% between May 2013 and May 2014 and contributed 0.2 percentage points to production growth, with increases in all of its subsectors (see Figure 4). The largest contributor to the increase was the waste collection, treatment & disposal activities subsector, which increased by 3.6% and contributed 0.1 percentage points. The second largest was sewerage output, which increased by 2.2% and contributed 0.1 percentage points. This was followed by increases in water collection, treatment & supply, which increased by 0.4%; and in remediation activities & other waste management services output, which increased by 1.6% and both had negligible contributions.

Water supply, sewerage & waste management output decreased by 1.1% between April 2014 and May 2014, with decreases in all of its subsectors (see Figure 5). The largest contributor to the decrease was in the waste collection, treatment & disposal activities subsector, which decreased by 1.4% and contributed 0.1 percentage points. This was followed by decreases in sewerage output, which decreased by 1.3%; water collection, treatment & supply, which decreased by 0.3%; and remediation activities & other waste management services, which decreased by 3.4% and all had negligible contributions.

So a similar trend to the headline figures, with an annual rise and monthly fall. The water subsector only accounts for 8% of the total Production Index of Production, with IoP only accounting for 15% of total output. So differential shit flows tend not to discolour the headline GDP headline figures.

• Options
    Mr ALP, I’m obliged. I spent my last few working years interpreting pharmaceutical statistics, both in respect of GP activity and of the reliability of BigPharma promotional activities and while I would not pretend to be a statistician I very rapidly learned to recognise that few if any such figures should be taken at face value, and there were generally factors which rendered a headline assessment valueless.
  • Options
    The average (arithmetical mean) of the 9 LA Polls to date show
    LAB 33% CON 27.67%%
    The median and modal averages are both LAB 33 CON 29
  • Options

The excellent Anthony Wells on the volatility of the Ashcroft (and other) polls:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/8892

Agreed. And also corroboration for our own Grandiose's comments on MOE calculations.

These Brasenose fellas...

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,892
    JackW said:

......................................................................................

Bury North - TCTC
    Pudsey - TCTC
    Ipswich - TCTC
    Watford - TCTC
    Enfield - TCTC
    Cornwall North - TCTC

Changes From 24th June - Great Yarmouth moves from Likely Con Hold to Con Hold and Ochil and South Perthshire moves from TCTC to Likely Lab Hold.

Not quite so keen on this week's ARSE, though it's comforting to see that the only viable coalition remains CONDEM!

• Options
    MikeK said:

AveryLP said:

MikeK said:

BenM said:

Whoops.

No.

Well there's statistics and statistics. There really should be one national measure of growth and output, or lack of, that easy to understand and explain to the uninitiated, like me.

It's the immigration statistics that are truly dodgy, Special K!

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Socrates said:
    My first thought was that Sesame Street had objected on copyright grounds.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Socrates said:
    They should have just refused the order on the basis that they did not want the business and kept the bigoted crap to themselves.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Sounds like a very pleasant gathering in lovely Yorkshire, a county almost as attractive and interesting as Sussex.

On topic: Mike is confusing two different points when he writes "if accuracy was down to sample size alone then how come YouGov’s 6,000 sample final online poll fared so badly in the GE2010 accuracy table behind five pollsters with 1,000 sample phone polls?"

The sample size determines the random statistical error of a poll, in other words the volatility from one poll to the next arising purely from the fact that your sample might have randomly happened to pick up a few more or a few less of the supporters of a particular party. The random error in the Ashcroft polls is high because the sample size is small - less than 500, after adjusting for Don't Knows etc. (And it is made worse, as Oblitus has pointed out previously, by the fact that some important groups are heavily weighted up, which means the real sample size is effectively even smaller than it appears at first sight). Therefore, irrespective of any other considerations, you would expect the Ashcroft polls to vary randomly by several percent from one poll to the next, even if actually nothing whatsoever has changed. That is exactly what we see.

We see a good example of systematic bias in the current UKIP figures, where some pollsters consistently have much higher figures than others. Clearly, therefore, there must be a systematic error in at least some of the polling methods used, even if we can't be sure which if any is right.

It's a pity that the Ashcroft polls do have such relatively small sample sizes. He might get better value for his money if he did the polls less often but with bigger samples.

Richard

I read your post after making my previous comment to you on this topic.

I am reluctantly adding the House to the credits given to Brasenose.

Whatever happened to Nicomachos/G.? He needs to return otherwise the PB lefties will claim a sample of one is not very reliable. At least Grandiose can call in Dave for support.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    I'm sticking to my prediction for the moment, it won't be swayed by Ed is crap Miliband swinging in the wind.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Bury North - TCTC
    Pudsey - TCTC
    Ipswich - TCTC
    Watford - TCTC
    Enfield - TCTC
    Cornwall North - TCTC

Not quite so keen on this week's ARSE, though it's comforting to see that the only viable coalition remains CONDEM!

In honour of the Ilkley bash you mustn't view my fortnightly outpouring as a regular GIN1138 beer and skittles event.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Financier said:

Nick,

I broadly agree but the rule that prosecution is only done in the public interest is there for a reason - prosecution for paedophilia as broadly understood is right, prison for teenage lovers clearly out of step with what most people want nowadays. It'd be possible to nail it down in legislation but I think a bit of margin at the edges to assess individual cases makes sense. The Sentencing Council does quite good work on this sort of thing.

Agree about your two examples, though - the "35 is/is not speeding" unofficial rule needs to be standardised or abolished, and the drunks in pubs question has both interpretation and enforceability issues.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Socrates said:
    They should have just refused the order on the basis that they did not want the business and kept the bigoted crap to themselves.
    Or, you know, have the right to not express political opinions they disagree with.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited July 2014

Socrates said:
    Anti-discrimination law is different in Northern Ireland, but I don't think this could happen in England and Wales and Scotland - certainly not under the Equality Act, anyway.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,892
    edited July 2014
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Bury North - TCTC
    Pudsey - TCTC
    Ipswich - TCTC
    Watford - TCTC
    Enfield - TCTC
    Cornwall North - TCTC

In honour of the Ilkley bash you mustn't view my fortnightly outpouring as a regular GIN1138 beer and skittles event.

Somebody should give us the order of appearance in Mike's Ilkley video so we can put names to faces!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited July 2014
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Somebody should give us the order of appearance in Mike's Ilkley video so we can out names to faces!
    I was seriously impressed to see that Sir Malcolm Rifkind was present: his cunning disguise as David Herdson fooled no one.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,616

BenM said:

No that is in the overall IoP rather than the narrower manufacturing figures.

Either way I'm not concerned by the drop, it is a statistical phantom. There is enough data from other firms and companies showing massive growth in manufacturing and production.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

@There is enough data from other firms and companies showing massive growth in manufacturing and production.

@PeterHoskinsSky: As @rollsroycecars reports a 33.4% rise in first half sales see chief executive Torsten Müller-Ötvös on @SkyIanKingLive at 6.30pm
  • Options
    Anyone who cant spot me from my login requires an optician.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Bury North - TCTC
    Pudsey - TCTC
    Ipswich - TCTC
    Watford - TCTC
    Enfield - TCTC
    Cornwall North - TCTC

Somebody should give us the order of appearance in Mike's Ilkley video so we can put names to faces!
    A rogues gallery .... or Crimewatch Yorkshire ....

Have you seen this man .... recently escaped from Bedford and now spotted in the Ilkley area sporting a body hugging yellow lycra suit and wanted for spreading alarm and despondency among Conservative supporters nationwide.

• Options
    I retired 91 days ago and yesterday was my 90th successive day without trousers (should any further clues be required) as to which one was me
This discussion has been closed.