Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reminder: The PB Yorkshire gathering – Flying Duck Ilkley M

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited July 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Reminder: The PB Yorkshire gathering – Flying Duck Ilkley Monday 6.30pm

Thanks to all those who’ve contacted me about the Ilkley event on Monday. This’ll be held in the Flying Duck pub from about 6.30pm. We’ll probably be upstairs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good evening, everyone.

Will try perusing the markets a second time.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited July 2014
    Is everyone watching football or something?

Talking about Yorks or Wales or Cornwall or Scotland breaking away, I wonder which towns would be sensibly twinned with which. I think I'd like to see Glasgow (and Truro ?) twinned with Bedford. Looks are deceiving: we're tough down here.
    Would there be enough Scottish towns to go around?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

Lab lead at six pts in new Opinium/Obs poll. Lab 35 n/c, Con 29 (-2), Ukip 18 (+1), Lib Dems 7 (n/c), Green 5 (n/c).
  • Options
    I want both Belgium and Netherlands to qualify for the semis, so we can hashtag the match #NedFlanders
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited July 2014
    A fascinating and rare interview with Enoch Powell regarding his famous Birmingham speech

http://old.bfi.org.uk/inview/title/7030

and good god he uses the N word, 19 mins in
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    On topic, this morning someone who shall remain nameless, emailed me the picture used in this thread header and the subject header of the email was

"Crowds start gathering outside the pub in advance of Monday's PB gathering"
  • Options
    Betting Post

F1: Here's my pre-race piece:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/uk-pre-race.html

Had lots of betting ideas but all the odds were a bit dodgy. Went for Hulkenberg to be winner without Hamilton/Rosberg at 8 (each way). Surprisingly hard to find something I liked, given how topsy-turvy the grid is.
  • Options

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

Lab lead at six pts in new Opinium/Obs poll. Lab 35 n/c, Con 29 (-2), Ukip 18 (+1), Lib Dems 7 (n/c), Green 5 (n/c).

Durn it! Every time the Tories seem about to crossover along comes another poll, outlier or not, which knocks them for six.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So, ideal result would be Rosberg 1st, Hulkenberg 2nd, Hamilton DNF.

The grid's very nicely poised.

Edited extra bit: bloody hell, I knew I forgot something. Mr. Putney, I neglected to mention your cunning Button bet. My apologies.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    edited July 2014
    Whenever we see Labour and the Tories basically level pegging in several polls up pops a poll showing the lead widening to around 6 points.
  • Options
    What an absolute legend Andrews Strauss is

Andrew Strauss has apologised after branding Kevin Pietersen an “absolute c***” in an embarrassing TV gaffe on Saturday.

Sky TV have been forced to apologise to viewers in Australia after former England cricket captain Strauss was heard making the comment on a live mic, when he apparently thought he was off-air.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/andrew-strauss-calls-kevin-pietersen-3815769
  • Options
    Is SeanT standing the bar refreshments again on Monday out of his millions - reflecting the fact that his writing skills were finely honed on this site ..... he owes it all you to you Mike!
  • Options
    Easterross ...... great minds .... snap!
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

Durn it! Every time the Tories seem about to crossover along comes another poll, outlier or not, which knocks them for six.
    The Tories are making sure they aren't peaking too soon.

Plus, us Tories are Unionists, consistent Tory leads before the North Britain referendum is bad for the Union, so we Tories are taking one for the Union.

Plus, we're ahead with Lord A, and only 1 point behind with Populus and YouGov, and 2 points behind with the ComRes phone poll, all showing the Lab lead collapsing.

This is essentially an MOE outlier.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited July 2014
    One thing's for sure Opinium most certainly ISN'T the gold standard...
  • Options

Andrew Strauss has apologised after branding Kevin Pietersen an “absolute c***” in an embarrassing TV gaffe on Saturday.

Sky TV have been forced to apologise to viewers in Australia after former England cricket captain Strauss was heard making the comment on a live mic, when he apparently thought he was off-air.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/andrew-strauss-calls-kevin-pietersen-3815769

Oh dear, isn't wasn't he being lined up as a Tory MP?

• Options

Why didn't he just apologise for using the naughty word on live TV. As he surely meant the insult he should not have apologised for the message in his remark. Its like public figures apologising when they do something off limits. They should simply apologise for being caught :)
  • Options

Oh dear, isn't wasn't he being lined up as a Tory MP?

He was, but he's sticking with the commentary job by the looks of it.
  • Options

Why didn't he just apologise for using the naughty word on live TV. As he surely meant the insult he should not have apologised for the message in his remark. Its like public figures apologising when they do something off limits. They should simply apologise for being caught :)
    He did apologise when he next was back in the commentary box.
  • Options

So, ideal result would be Rosberg 1st, Hulkenberg 2nd, Hamilton DNF.

The grid's very nicely poised.

Edited extra bit: bloody hell, I knew I forgot something. Mr. Putney, I neglected to mention your cunning Button bet. My apologies.

Morris - I decided on this bet just prior to Qualification, after watching that great clip of him on a motor bike sightseeing in London alongside David Coulthard. He just seemed so relaxed, carefree and absolutely up for it. Of course, he still has to contend with that car of his.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    #CrossOverSaturday
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, that's my fear. The McLaren is, shockingly, the worst of the Mercedes-powered cars.

However, for your bet, I think it'd take a DNF or some serious screw-up to stop Button getting points.
  • Options
    Maldonado sent to the back of the grid:
    http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24231/9372901/pastor-maldonado-sent-to-back-of-british-gp-grid-after-failing-to-provide-fuel-sample

It's almost as if a man whose name means 'ill-favoured one' and whose number is 13 has bad luck...
  • Options

Maldonado sent to the back of the grid:
    http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24231/9372901/pastor-maldonado-sent-to-back-of-british-gp-grid-after-failing-to-provide-fuel-sample

It's almost as if a man whose name means 'ill-favoured one' and whose number is 13 has bad luck...

It could be bad luck or it could be that he's totally out of his depth, can't drive a Grand Prix Car and shouldn't even be driving a little Corsa on the B65341...

I can't decide. ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Mr. Gin, it's tempting to hunt down the Youtube video of Maldonado managing to crash on a road with no-one else on it, but I'm trying to get a smidgen of work done.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

He did apologise when he next was back in the commentary box.
    After Pieterson's display against Essex on Friday night, that's not how I'd describe him. How many have batted out a maiden over in t20 cricket?
    And the bowler in question has never been spoken of in connection with and England place, and is only irregularly in the Essex CC team.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

The Opinium poll today has LAB 362 CON 237 LD 23 other 28 (UKPR)

Ed is crap is PM by an outlier landslide amount.

But 100% record of Ed is crap is PM is still intact 10 Months and 2 days to go
  • Options

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

Plus, us Tories are Unionists, consistent Tory leads before the North Britain referendum is bad for the Union, so we Tories are taking one for the Union.

Plus, we're ahead with Lord A, and only 1 point behind with Populus and YouGov, and 2 points behind with the ComRes phone poll, all showing the Lab lead collapsing.

Another PB Tory overexcited moment?
  • Options
    The BFI website has some rare footage on it even for non Enoch fans... I have just discovered an episode of "After Dark" ft EP, so there must be lots of others.. a great source for historical politics I should have thought
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited July 2014

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

Glad to see a Conservative poll with the lead dropping, as I've said alot previously I need Labour to drop and the Conservatives to rise at the next GE, but not

Too Far Or Too Fast like Ed Balls driving

So the vote/seats switch bet comes in.
  • Options

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

The only person who gets overexcited is you.

You're the chap who thinks one point leads less than a year before a general election is a good thing for oppositions.
  • Options

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

You're the chap who thinks one point leads less than a year before a general election is a good thing for oppositions.
    Where have I said a 1% lead is a good thing

However I do still think Lab are favorites to be biggest party

Looking forward to meeting you on Monday.

Dont get many Sheffield Tories maybe you are an outlier?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

I never understood the apology thing. I don't want people to do something I don't like, and then apologise for it. I want them to not do it in the first place.

Calling Kevin Pietersen a c*** on the other hand just seems like a difference of opinion.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Mark Cavendish crashes in Yorkshire Tour de France finish as Marcel Kittel wins opening stage

Giant-Shimano rider Marcel Kittel comes through to take the win in Harrogate as home favourite Mark Cavendish suffers injury after falling during sprint finish"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/10948659/Mark-Cavendish-crashes-in-Yorkshire-Tour-de-France-finish-as-Marcel-Kittel-wins-opening-stage.html
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

Where have I said a 1% lead is a good thing

However I do still think Lab are favorites to be biggest party

Looking forward to meeting you on Monday.

Dont get many Sheffield Tories maybe you are an outlier?
    I've been called many things, including an outlier.

It is always great to meet a Sheffield chap.

That said, when I do meet you, the first thing I'll say to you is "We're alllllllllllriiight" as I know Labour supporting Sheffield people love being reminded of the Labour rally of 1992 held in Sheffield.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889

Slightly harsh given that every poll is micro-analysed on here. To be fair, there's huge volatility in the polls at present - YouGov shows the combined Tory/Labour share in excess of 70%, Opinium has 64% as did Ashcroft while ICM had only a 63% share in the last poll.

That's an enormous and critical divergence and explains the Conservative shares ranging between 29% and 35% which is a huge variation. There are those on here who seem to assert with confidence where the state of public opinion currently resides.

I'm not one of them - Thursday night's local by-elections were trendless with good and bad results for all the parties. The only prediction I have consistently made for next year's General Election is that East Ham will be a Labour hold - beyond that, I've no clue.

The campaign will be critical and we may see (as we did last time) huge volatility within the election. The Smithson of polls to which we will be subjected will as likely muddy the waters as clear them.

• Options
    Andrew Strauss would make a great Tory MP. He could announce that Ed is a cnut instead of just crap :). So what does everyone think tonight's YouJokeGuv will deliver? After almost giving us crossover during the week, I reckon Labour at around 37/38 with a 6 or 7 point lead.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Slightly harsh given that every poll is micro-analysed on here. To be fair, there's huge volatility in the polls at present - YouGov shows the combined Tory/Labour share in excess of 70%, Opinium has 64% as did Ashcroft while ICM had only a 63% share in the last poll.

That's an enormous and critical divergence and explains the Conservative shares ranging between 29% and 35% which is a huge variation. There are those on here who seem to assert with confidence where the state of public opinion currently resides.

I'm not one of them - Thursday night's local by-elections were trendless with good and bad results for all the parties. The only prediction I have consistently made for next year's General Election is that East Ham will be a Labour hold - beyond that, I've no clue.

The campaign will be critical and we may see (as we did last time) huge volatility within the election. The Smithson of polls to which we will be subjected will as likely muddy the waters as clear them.

My comment from May still stands

My own take is that Labour is probably 2/3% ahead, but with margin of error/sampling variations and a general polling trend not favouring Labour and somewhat favouring the Tories we’re going to be seeing a volatile period in the polling for a while, as the Tories and Lab alternate the lead, until we see a new trend emerging, but for the time being, I wouldn’t advise the Blues or Reds to get over-excited or despondent by any one poll.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/05/19/the-second-lord-ashcroft-poll-has-labour-six-ahead/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Andrew Strauss would make a great Tory MP. He could announce that Ed is a cnut instead of just crap :). So what does everyone think tonight's YouJokeGuv will deliver? After almost giving us crossover during the week, I reckon Labour at around 37/38 with a 6 or 7 point lead.

The last England Cricket Captain who tried to become a Tory MP failed.
  • Options

Nah, remember a Tory MP said

Undiplomatic lingo; RT @thetimes “No 10 and the Foreign Office think Miliband is a f****** c*** and a copper-bottomed s***", a govt source.

which I managed to get into a thread header

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/08/29/syria-how-it-will-impact-domestic-politics/
  • Options
    Observer write up of their poll

The poll put Labour 6 points ahead of the Conservatives with just 10 months to go until the next general election. Labour is on 35% (up 2 points on a fortnight ago), while the Tories are on 29% (-2), Ukip 18% (+1), the Lib Dems 7% (n/c) and the Greens 5% (n/c).

David Cameron's personal rating has dropped since the last poll by 5 points to -15% (those who approve of his performance, against those who disapprove) while that of Labour leader Ed Miliband is unchanged on -26%.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/05/large-minority-favour-higher-tax-nhs?CMP=twt_fd
  • Options

My own take is that Labour is probably 2/3% ahead, but with margin of error/sampling variations and a general polling trend not favouring Labour and somewhat favouring the Tories we’re going to be seeing a volatile period in the polling for a while, as the Tories and Lab alternate the lead, until we see a new trend emerging, but for the time being, I wouldn’t advise the Blues or Reds to get over-excited or despondent by any one poll.

As I recall, the first Ashcroft poll got everyone excited by showing a two-point Conservative lead and I expect we will see a YouGov with a Conservative lead before long but I share your view. I doubt many people are giving politics even the slightest of thoughts at this stage.

From where I sit, the Coalition has one more winter to get through with all its accompanying problems and one more Budget with all its accompanying opportunities.

I also think UNS will be even more unreliable than usual.

• Options
    I am actually from Dronfield and now live in Chesterfield and I am too young to remember that debacle ( I wish)

See you all Monday anyone know what kind of turnout is expected?

• Options

Which England captain was that?
  • Options
    stodge said:

As I recall, the first Ashcroft poll got everyone excited by showing a two-point Conservative lead and I expect we will see a YouGov with a Conservative lead before long but I share your view. I doubt many people are giving politics even the slightest of thoughts at this stage.

From where I sit, the Coalition has one more winter to get through with all its accompanying problems and one more Budget with all its accompanying opportunities.

I also think UNS will be even more unreliable than usual.

Most people (including we Tories) thought the first Ashcroft poll was an outlier and said so, but a few hours later, the ICM also showed a Tory lead.

I think the 2015 budget will be the most pivotal (and political) budget since the 1992 one, now George Osborne is the architect of two the biggest shifts in polling in the last decade, the 2012 Budget and his 2007 conference special on IHT.

• Options
    Just put on Midsomer Murders while waiting for the footie to commence. You cannot beat a good headless rider appearing before a family member falls from the battlements.
  • Options
    MikePMikeP Posts: 47

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

PBTories are desperate for crumbs of comfort.

It's been like this for ages. Swingback always happens, crossover, Osborne's bubble will save them, people will realise Ed is "crap" and Dave always "smashes it out the park". Etc etc.

Scrap that first bit. They're just desperate.
  • Options

I am actually from Dronfield and now live in Chesterfield and I am too young to remember that debacle ( I wish)

Nobody's perfect.

Hopefully we'll get a dirty dozen.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Observer write up of their poll

The poll put Labour 6 points ahead of the Conservatives with just 10 months to go until the next general election. Labour is on 35% (up 2 points on a fortnight ago), while the Tories are on 29% (-2), Ukip 18% (+1), the Lib Dems 7% (n/c) and the Greens 5% (n/c).

David Cameron's personal rating has dropped since the last poll by 5 points to -15% (those who approve of his performance, against those who disapprove) while that of Labour leader Ed Miliband is unchanged on -26%.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/05/large-minority-favour-higher-tax-nhs?CMP=twt_fd

The Tories are doomed, TSE; and it'll be a Hanging Parliament after next years GE.
  • Options
    I think we could be well hung too
  • Options
    MikeP said:

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

It's been like this for ages. Swingback always happens, crossover, Osborne's bubble will save them, people will realise Ed is "crap" and Dave always "smashes it out the park". Etc etc.

Mike Tories don't do desperate. We leave that for the lower orders :)
  • Options

Most people (including we Tories) thought the first Ashcroft poll was an outlier and said so, but a few hours later, the ICM also showed a Tory lead.

I think the 2015 budget will be the most pivotal (and political) budget since the 1992 one, now George Osborne is the architect of two the biggest shifts in polling in the last decade, the 2012 Budget and his 2007 conference special on IHT.

I'm no Conservative but of course that's valid. The brutal truth is that for all the Stakhanovite recitation of statistics by Avery and others, I've checked my own finances and I am worse off now than I was in 2010 on the simple measure that the money in my wage packet (tax changes notwithstanding) has not kept pace with the prices I pay for food, energy, travel and the like.

As to whether Labour would restore my finances, I don't know. I do know that the coming interest rate hikes (which will be much sharper than they need to be thanks to the ludicrous policies of QE and the politicisation of the interest rate mechanism by Osborne and Carney effectively undoing all Brown did (and the Tories supported) in 1997) will not help.
  • Options
    Why does FIFA go through this farce of captains reading anti-discrimination statements when football suffers from rampant racism and homophobia and FIFA does little to stamp it out.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    TEST ONLY
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    Interesting ISIS story -183 Indians have been set free from Iraq. 'The Indian security establishment used its ties with counterparts in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United States to negotiate the release of the nurses, and progress was personally monitored by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, government sources told HT.'
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/iraqonthebrink/iraq-crisis-sos-to-friends-goodwill-won-india-this-battle/article1-1237284.aspx

So ISIS are our enemy, but apparently the USA, KSA, and Qatar still have enough pull within ISIS to get them to free the civilians they want free.
  • Options

You have mail via "Vanilla"

Thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    JackW said:

TEST ONLY

I miss Test.

• Options
    peterbusspeterbuss Posts: 109

Which England captain was that?

Ted Dexter. He stood for Cardiff South in 1964

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Nobody's perfect.

TSE is going to be the only Tory in the pub?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Well the front page of the Independent on Sunday is going to well, you know..

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 18m

Independent on Sunday - "Exclusive: Leon Brittan questioned by police over rape allegation" #tomorrowspaperstoday

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Brzr1vvIIAEYPmM.jpg:large

Edit: The Sunday Telegraph will also, you know.

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 6m

Sunday Telegraph front page - "Parliament child sex scandal: 114 lost files"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrzuqDsCcAEpTNU.jpg:large
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Nobody's perfect.

TSE is going to be the only Tory in the pub?
    Nah, David Herdson is also going to be there.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited July 2014
    Papers going big on the story we need to be careful about...but already been dubbed "Parliament Child Sex Scandal" by the newspapers.

I wouldn't like to have any money on the GE if more information starts to come to light, where it starts, goes and ends up, who knows. Papers already joining various dots from historic known individuals, PIE, etc etc etc.

Indy - Exclusive: Leon Brittan questioned by police over rape allegation"

Telegraph - Parliament child sex scandal: 114 lost files"
  • Options
    Private club channels cash for 2015 Tory election war chest

United and Cecil Club ups donations to Tory party constituencies, fuelling debate about lack of transparency.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/05/tory-donors-united-and-cecil-club-2015-war-chest?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

TEST ONLY

I miss Test.

Test is back on Wednesday from Trent Bridge.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Ten months ago Opinium in the Observer - first weekend of Sept 2013 - gave Labour a 5% lead.Not much sign of swing back there!
  • Options
    And the Mail on Sunday isnt't good either

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick 29s

Mail on Sunday front page - "Labour Lord's 'sex attacks on 12 children'"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Brzxp9nIAAEgBvp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I wonder if Cameron is going to end up making the same "mistakes" as phone hacking.

Start with some reviews, but that wont clearly be enough for the quarters that are already pushing a full inquiry, and he will end up being bounced into that and by that time the terms of reference will mean it s##t will be flying everywhere and it will be totally out of his control*.

* Not saying it should be, but we know that certain politicians were extremely good at getting the terms of references they wanted.
  • Options

Wonder which of the two stories will make the BBC news?
  • Options

I wonder if Cameron is going to end up making the same "mistakes" as phone hacking.

Start with some reviews, but that wont clearly be enough for the quarters that are already pushing a full inquiry, and he will end up being bounced into that and by that time the terms of reference will mean it s##t will be flying everywhere.

This could turn politics on its head
  • Options

Wonder which of the two stories will make the BBC news?
    I trust the BBC, it's not like they have form for smearing a Tory by inaccurately calling him a paedo.
  • Options
    Now the media storm is starting to whip up, I do find it rather odd how little interest most of the media took in Cyril Smith activities. Credit where credit is due, Channel 4 has been doing some very good investigations and reports.

But wider than that, brief mention here or there and that was it. I would think that a lot of the population are probably still pretty unaware that this major political figure is alleged to be up there with Saville and co in terms of nature, severity and number of abuse claims.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    isam said:

Start with some reviews, but that wont clearly be enough for the quarters that are already pushing a full inquiry, and he will end up being bounced into that and by that time the terms of reference will mean it s##t will be flying everywhere.

Or it may not. A Tim-esque prediction. Any views on Southern Cross?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Now the media storm is starting to whip up, I do find it rather odd how little interest most of the media took in Cyril Smith activities. Credit where credit is due, Channel 4 has been doing some very good investigations and reports.

But wider than that, brief mention here or there and that was it. I would think that a lot of the population are probably still pretty unaware that this major political figure is alleged to be up there with Saville and co in terms of nature, severity and number of abuse claims.

I think that you may be conflating substantial and major. Fwiw, my wife, who met him when at school (adjacent constituency) has nothing good to say about him. Of course, it's possible that she was at a girls school, so may have been of less general interest.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    matt said:

isam said:

Or it may not. A Tim-esque prediction. Any views on Southern Cross?
    Whens it running?

Just kidding, I have no view. Don't know anything about it

I think the paedophilia thing is going to be massive though.

Look at all the establishment names that have been convicted already, and look at who they are linked with.. not just two bob councillors, but some of the biggest political names of the 70s and 80s, and the Royal family!
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited July 2014

You wait thirty years for a bus and then three come along at once.

edit: or ten
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    As long as Cameron is transparent and allow's sunshine into the darkness, there's no reason why any historic child sex scandal in Westminster should be particularly harmful for him.

Nobody is going to hold him responsible for things that happened 30 years ago.

I do think this story could be massive though.

In the past few years we've had:

Expense's scandal, a banking crisis, the hacking crisis, various police scandals, a celebrity pedophile scandal...

Certainly seem's like there's been some some sort of "cleaning of the stable's" going on, but I wonder whether the biggest scandal has been saved for last...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    Whatever happened to the Ilkley Lads?
  • Options
    I think the thing with VIPs (apart from a higher rate of sociopaths) is that if you had a bus company with 666 employees and one of them was done for child molesting they'd likely be sacked and that would be that. If another joined the company 3-4 years later they'd be the only one.

With VIPs if the first case is covered up (apart from rumours) then when the second case comes along they can link up with the first etc. So over time you get a ring developing that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

• Options
    James Millar ‏@PoliticalYeti 7m

Also in @Sunday_Post tomorrow the latest #indyref poll. It's got some unexpected findings...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

As long as Cameron is transparent and allow's sunshine into the darkness, there's no reason why any historic child sex scandal in Westminster should be particularly harmful for him.

Nobody is going to hold him responsible for things that happened 30 years ago.

I do think this story could be massive though.

In the past few years we've had:

Expense's scandal, a banking crisis, the hacking crisis, various police scandals, a celebrity pedophile scandal...

Certainly seem's like there's been some some sort of "cleaning of the stable's" going on, but I wonder whether the biggest scandal has been saved for last...

"As long as Cameron is transparent and allow's sunshine into the darkness, there's no reason why any historic child sex scandal in Westminster should be particularly harmful for him."

Could help him if he plays it right.

• Options

Papers going big on the story we need to be careful about...but already been dubbed "Parliament Child Sex Scandal" by the newspapers.

I wouldn't like to have any money on the GE if more information starts to come to light, where it starts, goes and ends up, who knows. Papers already joining various dots from historic known individuals, PIE, etc etc etc.

If this story has legs I think any hope on the part of the established parties that UKIP's share might drop below 10% by May next year will evaporate.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    Didn't think today's canvass showed any particular movement - I'm a bit sceptical of the various recent movements in both directions, and think Labour is stable at 3-4 points ahead, though the Tories have got a bit back from UKIP.

I had a classic flaky "promise" today: "I really don't like Labour. But after something Maggie did in the 1970s I swore I'd never vote Tory again, though I can't now remember what it was. So I voted LibDem for 30 years but in government they're rubbish. UKIP and Greens are nuts. I'm desperate, so I suppose I'll have to vote for you. Hang on! Will there be a Monster Raving Loony candidate?"

Should we knock him up on polling day? Hmm.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Robben's a cheating, diving play actor. I hope Costa Rica go through.
  • Options

Didn't think today's canvass showed any particular movement - I'm a bit sceptical of the various recent movements in both directions, and think Labour is stable at 3-4 points ahead, though the Tories have got a bit back from UKIP.

I had a classic flaky "promise" today: "I really don't like Labour. But after something Maggie did in the 1970s I swore I'd never vote Tory again, though I can't now remember what it was. So I voted LibDem for 30 years but in government they're rubbish. UKIP and Greens are nuts. I'm desperate, so I suppose I'll have to vote for you. Hang on! Will there be a Monster Raving Loony candidate?"

If you knocked him up on polling day, that would be a sensational political story, it would also be a sensational science story.

Oh, not that kind of knock up.
  • Options

A Palmer canvassing anecdote featuring a good natured floating voter that has opted for Labour with UKIP on the slide?

Get right out of town?!!
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited July 2014
    MikeP said:

Outlier alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 37s

No they aren't. It's a collection of lefty wannabe comedians who go on about those things. Swingback was always a private theory of Rod Crosby and admitted even by him to have been of limited significance in 2010. Economic feelgood always lags economic recovery, and there's a chance but no more that it may catch up by next May. Much the best hope of the prudent Tory is that the electorate will twig that ed is indeed crap. If they do, history strongly suggests that this will result in a collapse of the Labour vote in the last weeks of the campaign (cf. 1992, 2011). So although we expect to have a very good laugh at ed at the time of the Labour conference, any poll between now and February 2015 is quite simply water off a ducks back to us.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    AndyJS said:

If this story has legs I think any hope on the part of the established parties that UKIP's share might drop below 10% by May next year will evaporate.
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

A story as yet without any visible evidence from 1983? Why should this benefit UKIP - for all any of us know there may be historic or present day UKIPippers involved.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

United and Cecil Club ups donations to Tory party constituencies, fuelling debate about lack of transparency.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/05/tory-donors-united-and-cecil-club-2015-war-chest?CMP=twt_gu

It's not obscure. It's basically the younger members of the Treasurer's Club.

I was briefly a member at one point.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    isam said:

A Palmer canvassing anecdote featuring a good natured floating voter that has opted for Labour with UKIP on the slide?

Get right out of town?!!
    Particularly bad news for UKIP seeing as it is one of their target seats.
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

Get right out of town?!!
    No it isn't (one of their target seats)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    Extra time looms - 0-0 Holland v Costa Rica
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

A story as yet without any visible evidence from 1983? Why should this benefit UKIP - for all any of us know there may be historic or present day UKIPippers involved.
    To have one duplicate might be considered misfortune. To have two duplicates might be considered carelessness.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Get right out of town?!!
    Hmm It definitely appeared on some sort of UKIP list around the time of the Euros. I remember myself and quite a few other PBers remarked that it looked an odd one. It definitely did appear on a list alongside Thurrock, Great Yarmouth, Castle Point, Thanet South etc...

I'll join Dan Hodges along the mall if UKIP take Broxtowe though.
  • Options
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Get right out of town?!!
    Oh yes it is.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Nigel-Farage-8217-s-UKIP-target-Broxtowe-seat/story-21147345-detail/story.html
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    isam said:

Neil said:

isam said:

Get right out of town?!!
    It's one of the seats being considered for targeting. Not great either way!

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Charles said:

It's not obscure. It's basically the younger members of the Treasurer's Club.
    Non sequitur of the year, surely.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

UKIP's main appeal is contempt with the established parties as a whole. Anything that accentuates that sentiment benefits the purples IMO.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Jason Cowan ‏@jason_manc 2m
    How many Dutchmen does it take to score a goal?
This discussion has been closed.