Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Time for Britain’s greatest county to stand up

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited July 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Time for Britain’s greatest county to stand up

The folk of God’s Own County tend to be a reticent bunch, not much given to singing their own praises (or indeed, anyone else’s), but as cycling’s greatest race speeds spectacularly over the Broad Acres this weekend – an event the locals have greeted with characteristic enthusiasm and humour – it’s a good occasion to ask whether it should be the next nation within the UK to gain devolved…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    FPT (given that thread only lasted a few minutes!):

First.. ner ner Peter!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited July 2014
    Well said David. My wife and I are in Yorkshire especially for this great event We staying in Ilkley where on Monday night there will be a PB gathering. The atmosphere is electric and we are being reminded that that when both Edinburgh and Yorkshire were fighting over who should get this David Cameron backed the former. Not good given the number of CON-held marginals here. <b>The PB gathering on Monday is at Flying Duck pub at 16 Church Street, Ilkley LS29 9DS, from 6.30pm</b> This is on today's route
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I'm confused. It's obviously a badly-edited version; from the title I was expecting an article about Greater London.
  • Options
    Mike, whereabouts on the stage will you be viewing from?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Many PBers, interested in both national politics and cycling, will warmly welcome David's excellent article.

It might help though if some kind person were to post a map of Great Britain pointing out the location of this Yorkshire place.

Is it to the North?
  • Options
    RobD said:

FPT (given that thread only lasted a few minutes!):

First.. ner ner Peter!

You can't win 'em all!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,420
    edited July 2014

Well said David.

My wife and I are in Yorkshire especially for this great event
    We staying in Ilkley where on Monday night there will be a PB gathering.

The atmosphere is electric and we are being reminded that that when both Edinburgh and Yorkshire were fighting over who should get this David Cameron backed the former. Not good given the number of CON-held marginals here.

The PB gathering on Monday is at Flying Duck pub at 16 Church Street, Ilkley LS29 9DS, from 6.30pm

This is on today's route

Thanks, Mike. Given the lauding of the White Rose county, I did wonder whether you'd publish it!

Enjoy the day. I'm heading off very shortly to get my spot too.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Good plan. The way to do middle tier of government in England is to merge some of the piddling little counties together. That way you don't add an extra tier, you save some money, and you get clearer lines of responsibility because you can get rid of wierd stuff like multi-county police authorities. In a lot of cases the merged counties will actually have better natural boundaries and more historical resonance that the current thing, as we see here with Yorkshire. Then let the super-counties have whichever devolved powers they want.

Labour tried to design regions from the top down, but that's not the only way to do it. Give the counties financial incentives to merge with each other, along with the option of devolved powers once the merged counties are big enough, then leave them to reorganize themselves at their own pace.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2014
    Possibly the most unpleasant article I have read in a national newspaper. Enough to convert the most hardened eurosceptic into a Juncker fan.

Leaving aside, for now, the disquieting suggestion that the newly elected President of the European Commission slurps cognac with his breakfast, one shudders to think what might become of us when the continent’s wallet falls into his nicotine-stained hands.

Visiting Jean-Claude Juncker’s Luxembourg fiefdom this week, I was momentarily reassured to discover that David Cameron’s least favourite Eurocrat lives in a modest house, pootles about the suburbs with his blue-rinsed wife in a Volvo estate, and dresses like a low-grade bank clerk.

He also enjoys some decidedly plebeian pastimes, such as playing on pinball machines. Yet we fall for his cultivated man-of-the-people image at our peril.

During his 18-year prime ministership of Luxembourg, this louche little man with the rheumy eyes, rumpled blue mac and skewiff tie developed some worryingly expensive habits...

The article then accuses the former PM of overspending on the renovation of Findel, Luxembourg's airport and in redeveloping what was once the world's largest steelworks (a smoke-belching powerhouse upon which the country’s modern-day banking wealth).

It goes on to out Juncker's father in law as one of Hitler’s so-called Propaganda Commissars, [who] was among those responsible for the Germanification of his home country of Luxembourg. He also helped enforce the Nuremburg Laws that stripped Jews of their rights, and were a precursor to the Holocaust.

And still not done, it alludes to a unsourced story which explored the possibility that [Juncker] may have fathered a love-child by an unnamed Brussels adviser.

The article questions Juncker's academic prowess and even pillories his love of sports:

his left leg was badly damaged and his injuries stopped him playing football, volleyball and handball. Now, his summer sport is table-tennis, and ‘for the rest of the year I’m perversely fanatical about pinball’.

The Daily Mail at its very best. See for the full article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681298/Cognac-breakfast-Daves-EU-nemesis-FAR-worse-skeletons-closet-including-Nazi-father-law-rumours-love-child.html#ixzz36ZGzq056

I have only listed a few of the more scandalous bits.
  • Options

In Ilkley today and at the nearby village of Addingham tomorrow.

@david_herdson I'm insulted that you should even think that you could be censored. Everything you have ever written for PB has been published.

Even though I am a Lancastrian I like Yorkshire and in the early days of PB lived in the centre of York when I was working at the University & loved the place. My book, The Political Punter, was written here. There is a sense of nationalism in Yorkshire that you don't find anywhere else in England outside Cornwall. If anywhere in the UK was going to do the Grand Depart Yorkshire would do it best.

Only hassle this morning is that it looks as though there will be heavy rain. Let's hope there are not the devastating crashes that we've seen on the first stages of several recent Tours.
  • Options

Good plan. The way to do middle tier of government in England is to merge some of the piddling little counties together. That way you don't add an extra tier, you save some money, and you get clearer lines of responsibility because you can get rid of wierd stuff like multi-county police authorities. In a lot of cases the merged counties will actually have better natural boundaries and more historical resonance that the current thing, as we see here with Yorkshire. Then let the super-counties have whichever devolved powers they want.

Labour tried to design regions from the top down, but that's not the only way to do it. Give the counties financial incentives to merge with each other, along with the option of devolved powers once the merged counties are big enough, then leave them to reorganize themselves at their own pace.

Maybe Yorks & Lancs should merge into M62shire with the capital in Todmorden which in recent times has been part of both counties. At least the Yorks side would be part of a county with Premiership fooball teams.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

@david_herdson I'm insulted that you should even think that you could be censored. Everything you have ever written for PB has been published.

Even though I am a Lancastrian I like Yorkshire and in the early days of PB lived in the centre of York when I was working at the University & loved the place. My book, The Political Punter, was written here. There is a sense of nationalism in Yorkshire that you don't find anywhere else in England outside Cornwall. If anywhere in the UK was going to do the Grand Depart Yorkshire would do it best.

Only hassle this morning is that it looks as though there will be heavy rain. Let's hope there are not the devastating crashes that we've seen on the first stages of several recent Tours.
    Mike, if you fancy a little light exercise before the off this morning, there's a really nice walk along the river with playing fields on the left. You can walk both sides, crossing over a footbridge opposite Middleton woods.
  • Options

I'll definitely be there on Monday night but was called to darkest Kent meddle of last week. Going back home today.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    How many English counties have actually been independent states at some time? Northumberland of course is a truncated Northumbria, Durham had a Prince Bishop and Essex County Council chamber has the names of the ten or so Kings of Essex carved into it’s roof.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 908
    You don't need to ask a Yorkshireman where they come from, he will already have told you.
  • Options
    I didn't have much choice about where I was born (it was south) but ever since I have had a choice, I've lived north and loved north -- including Yorkshire, even though I now live on the other side of the Pennines.

But the reason for commenting is not to bore you with my life story but to ask if anyone else remembers a Yorkshire Nationalist standing for CUSU (Cambridge University Student Union) elections in the mid-80s? It was an STV election and I distinctly recall putting him/her as 1st choice. It may have been the first time I ever voted for anyone anywhere...! I can't recall whether they won but maybe someone else was there at the time...

So there's a history of Yorkshire Nationalism stretching back around 30 years -- or maybe it was just a student prank to get a bit of attention...

FL

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The Jacobite white rose of Yorkshire surely deserves a nod in the direction of Yorkshire as Englands second greatest county.

Primus inter pares in England is Rutland.

Primus inter pares in Great Britain is Inverness-shire
  • Options
    To keep in the mood :-)

God was bored and went missing for six days. The Archangel Gabriel found him resting on the seventh day.
    "What have You been up to?" he said.
    "I've created the planet Earth and it will be a place of great balance."
    "Balance?" said Gabriel.
    God explained.
    North America would be wealthy and South America would be poor.
    "Over there I've placed a continent of white people, and over there a continent of black people."
    God talked of different countries.
    "That one will be hot and that one will be covered with ice."
    Gabriel was impressed and pointed to an area in England and said:
    "What's that?"
    "Ah," said God.
    "That is Yorkshire, the most glorious place on Earth. There will be beautiful lakes, streams, rivers and hills, great music, architecture, and sporting giants. The people from Yorkshire will be modest, intelligent and witty. They will be sociable, hardworking and high achievers. They will be known throughout the world as diplomats and peace-makers."
    Gabriel gasped in admiration, thought for a moment, and said: "But what about balance, God? You said there will be balance."
    "Ah," said God, nodding sagely, "let me tell you about Lancashire..."

• Options
    Another one.

An American photographer on vacation was inside a church in Oldham taking photographs when he noticed a golden telephone mounted on the wall with a sign that read '£10,000 per call'.

The American, being intrigued, asked a priest who was strolling by what the telephone was used for. The priest replied that it was a direct line to heaven and that for £10,000 you could talk to God. The American thanked the priest and went along his way.

Next stop was in Manchester... There, at a very large cathedral, he saw the same golden telephone with the same sign under it. He wondered if this was the same kind of telephone he saw in Oldham and he asked a nearby nun what its purpose was. She told him that it was a direct line to heaven and that for £10,000 he could talk to God.

'O.K., thank you,' said the American.

He then travelled to Blackburn, Darwen, Burnley, Rochdale and Littleborough. In every church he saw the same golden telephone with the same '£10,000 per call' sign under it. The American, upon leaving Lancashire decided to travel to Yorkshire to see if Yorkshiremen had the same phone.

He arrived in Todmorden, and again, in the first church he entered, there was the same golden telephone, but this time the sign under it read '50 pence per call.'

The American was surprised so he asked the priest about the sign. 'Father, I've travelled all over Lancashire and I've seen this same golden telephone in many churches. I'm told that it is a direct line to heaven, but in Lancashire the price was £10,000 per call. Why is it so cheap here?'

The priest smiled and answered, 'You're in Yorkshire now, son. It's a local call.'

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited July 2014
    Germany are newly-installed favourites with Betfair to win the World Cup at 3.45 (2.33/1 net), just edging out Brazil on offer at 3.65 (2.52/1 net).
    Despite this, Nate Silver's lot at 538.com rate Brazil as having a 55% chance of lifting the trophy, compared with Germany's 14% chance ......... hmm.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    Fun article. County identification seems really high in Yorkshire - in Notts, it doesn't feature highly in self-identification, and the different bits get on with their lives without much reference to the others. But isn't that partly true in Yorkshire? Do people in Sheffield take a keen interest in the West Riding, or vice versa?
    AveryLP said:

Possibly the most unpleasant article I have read in a national newspaper. Enough to convert the most hardened eurosceptic into a Juncker fan.

Yes, yuck. An odd feature of the Mail is its snobbish streak - the man dresses "like a bank clerk" and lives in a small house, euuu. We encountered the attitude when they were having a go at me some years ago - the reporter looked at our then house (a small detached bungalow in a village) and said to my wife "THIS place is where you live?" with an open sneer. Presumably trying to get a rise out of her (since he was doorstepping her, he knew she lived there), but a fairly seedy tactic.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning and I do hope the folks of the White Rose have a most enjoyable weekend squeezing the pounds out of tens of thousands of visitors keen to watch lots of young men in far too tight lycra whizz by at speeds which should only be attempted in cars by normal folks.

I often wonder whether the affluent folks of North Yorkshire feel they have that much in common with those from the former coalfields in the Peoples' Republic of South Yorkshire! Throughout history as a county it does seem to have consistently chosen the losing side. From Richard III to the Roman Catholic gentry who opposed Henry VIII, Yorkshire was regularly on the receiving end of military correction from the south and of course for many centuries we Scots saw it as plunder land from the north, though often getting a hammering from those Yorkshire folks in the process.

If UK PLC sails onwards after 18th September, more and more I see the once laughed at Liberal plan for a federal UK being the way ahead.

I have to correct Jack on one thing, while Inverness-shire is indeed a beautiful county, I prefer Moray, Nairn or my own home Ross-shire but arguably the pre-eminent Scottish county has to be Perthshire which was of course the seat of Scottish Jacobins, the Drummonds and the Murrays who were the financial power and brains behind each of the Risings. Noble ancestors of among others David Cameron and Hugh Grant and the odd PBer too. Talking of whom, I haven't seen Charles on duty here for a few days. I trust he is well.
  • Options
    Yorkshire folk ....... you've just got to luv 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPjJFv1NDBg&feature=kp
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Hmm

Maybe Yorks & Lancs should merge into M62shire with the capital in Todmorden which in recent times has been part of both counties. At least the Yorks side would be part of a county with Premiership fooball teams.

Pigs will fly before Yorkshire and Lancashire merge lol
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I think that you will find the local identification present but less overt than in Yorkshire. East Midland mardiness is not a boastful trait. If you want to find fanatically affiliated Nottinghamites you need to go to the footy. While you are there you may care to remind them that Leicester City are the better team and that Forest haven't won anything for decades. You may then find that Nottinghamites do feel passionate loyalty!

I am though a Leicester lad by adoption, I was born in the winning county of Lancashire...

Fun article. County identification seems really high in Yorkshire - in Notts, it doesn't feature highly in self-identification, and the different bits get on with their lives without much reference to the others. But isn't that partly true in Yorkshire? Do people in Sheffield take a keen interest in the West Riding, or vice versa?

AveryLP said:

Yes, yuck. An odd feature of the Mail is its snobbish streak - the man dresses "like a bank clerk" and lives in a small house, euuu. We encountered the attitude when they were having a go at me some years ago - the reporter looked at our then house (a small detached bungalow in a village) and said to my wife "THIS place is where you live?" with an open sneer. Presumably trying to get a rise out of her (since he was doorstepping her, he knew she lived there), but a fairly seedy tactic.
  • Options

Germany are newly-installed favourites with Betfair to win the World Cup at 3.45 (2.33/1 net), just edging out Brazil on offer at 3.65 (2.52/1 net).
    Despite this, Nate Silver's lot at 538.com rate Brazil as having a 55% chance of lifting the trophy, compared with Germany's 14% chance ......... hmm.

Neymar has a broken vertebrae, that will be why.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited July 2014

I'm laying Brazil for the World Cup now.

Neymar is out for the rest of the tournament, without him, Brazil are a bit rubbish.

That said, the only thing that could make my bet a loser is, well the shocking performance of the refs favouring Brazil this tournament.

Brazil effectively tried to hack Hames Rodriguez of the pitch, and the ref was like, meh, I think Rodriguez had to lose a leg, before the ref would book a Brazilian.
  • Options

I do wonder whether the Tour de France Grand Depart this year, and the proposed future Tour of Yorkshire for future ones, might do for England’s largest county what the London marathon did for its largest city, namely to demonstrate what can be achieved by a high profile sporting event when component boroughs work together. There is a political mirror to that; one that ultimately led to the recreation of a high profile voice for London in its mayor (though rather like the marathon route, it was hardly a direct path).

It has been said many times (mostly by me) that I'd make a great Governor of Yorkshire.

This could be a stepping stone for my plan to become this country's first Directly Elected Dictator.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Yes, I in Sheffield, take an interest in the West Riding.

That's mostly because, as a Sheffield lad, I spent six years working in Leeds (though I lived in North Yorkshire for most of those six years)

As an aside, up to 1974, Sheffield, was in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Mr Fox, if you want fanatical football fans whose team has only been anywhere near anything really big about twice in it’s existence I suggest you talk to those who follow Millwall.

West Ham, of course, won a World Cup!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Forty Thousand votes separated Labour and the Conservatives in Yorkshire at the 2010 general election, though Labour took 32 seats to the Conservatives 19.

A Yorkshire Parliament would also challenge the national political narrative that the Tories aren't relevant in the north. With a sensible voting system they would be competitive in Yorkshire as a whole.
  • Options

Forty Thousand votes separated Labour and the Conservatives in Yorkshire at the 2010 general election, though Labour took 32 seats to the Conservatives 19.

A Yorkshire Parliament would also challenge the national political narrative that the Tories aren't relevant in the north. With a sensible voting system they would be competitive in Yorkshire as a whole.

Yorkshire is a microcosm of the Tories problem as a whole.

We stack up mahoosive majorities in mostly North Yorkshire, where it doesn't count, but in marginal seats....

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

Good morning and I do hope the folks of the White Rose have a most enjoyable weekend squeezing the pounds out of tens of thousands of visitors keen to watch lots of young men in far too tight lycra whizz by at speeds which should only be attempted in cars by normal folks.

I live close to part of today's route, and am pleased to confirm that lots of money will be changing hands. I was expecting things to be busy, but was truly astonished by the continuous convoy of vehicles bearing bicycles and spectators that transited through my usually sleepy neighbourhood last night.

One local farmer has raked in thousands, through turning two big fields adjacent to the route into a temporary camp-site. Unfortunately he has since received a call from his landlord, who pointed out the under the terms of the tenancy agreement, and such non-farming income belongs to him, and not his tenant. Ah well, easy come...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I'm laying Brazil for the World Cup.

Neymar is out for the rest of the tournament, without him, Brazil are a bit rubbish.

That said, the only thing that could make my bet a loser is, well the shocking performance of the refs favouring Brazil this tournament.

Brazil effectively tried to Hames Rodriguez of the pitch, and the ref was like, meh, I think Rodriguez had to lose a leg, before the ref would book a Brazilian.
    Without Neymar, Brazil will be less of a team, but still are likely winners. They seem to have sorted their defence better and played well yesterday particularly in the first half. Neymar did not dominate yesterday, It was a good team performance. Brazil are going to be formidable at home, the support both inside and outside the ground is tremendous.

And for all the doom in advance the Brazillians have put on a great tournament. Not like Qatar...

• Options
    edited July 2014

Yorkshire is a microcosm of the Tories problem as a whole.

We stack up mahoosive majorities in mostly North Yorkshire, where it doesn't count, but in marginal seats....

I have a small bet on the Conservatives @ 9-4 in Pudsey, Labour's local election result there was quite poor compared to the national trend. Can see it being a Conservative Hold.
  • Options
    "I am though a Leicester lad by adoption, I was born in the winning county of Lancashire"

Ah, that would explain then why you refer to the East Midlands' second best football club (after Derby County) as "Notts" Forest.
  • Options

I'm laying Brazil for the World Cup.

Brazil effectively tried to Hames Rodriguez of the pitch, and the ref was like, meh, I think Rodriguez had to lose a leg, before the ref would book a Brazilian.
    Without Neymar, Brazil will be less of a team, but still are likely winners. They seem to have sorted their defence better and played well yesterday particularly in the first half. Neymar did not dominate yesterday, It was a good team performance. Brazil are going to be formidable at home, the support both inside and outside the ground is tremendous.

And for all the doom in advance the Brazillians have put on a great tournament. Not like Qatar...

Yep this is true, Germany looked... efficient but not spectacular, Argentina looked poor except Messi, Belgium - a good team on paper (Like Brazil) but Brazil clicked for me last night.
    Neymar is a loss for sure though but I think they are favourites now.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

That's mostly because, as a Sheffield lad, I spent six years working in Leeds (though I lived in North Yorkshire for most of those six years)

TSE, If you're still online and if you're going on Monday, I'll buy you dinner. I owe you a dinner after your gracious generosity at the PB bash at Dirty Dick's I went to.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

AveryLP said:

TSE, If you're still online and if you're going on Monday, I'll buy you dinner. I owe you a dinner after your gracious generosity at the PB bash at Dirty Dick's I went to.
    I am and look forward to seeing you again
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.

Incidentally, cheers to Mr. Hayfield for his recent local election coverage. Unusually, I was away when both were put up.

Mr. Herdson, the article began very well but I absolutely disagree with your conclusion.

It is not in England's interest to slice up the country (England) into little pieces. Yes, Yorkshire is the most magnificent place in not only the UK, but the world, to whom Christendom owes its billion and more adherents and to whom the Enterprise owes her finest captain, but to give it a parliament would be to set course for the icebergs.

If Yorkshire got one, then so would other areas. We would soon have parliaments at loggerheads over spending. London would feel it contributes a lot and its money is sent north, at the same time, other areas would feel that they were getting less per head than London (both these things would be true).

Scottish devolution has led to the rise of the SNP, a referendum on permanent separation and increased division. What you propose would be similar but far worse, as it would risk cutting up a country that has existed for over a thousand years.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

How many English counties have actually been independent states at some time? Northumberland of course is a truncated Northumbria, Durham had a Prince Bishop and Essex County Council chamber has the names of the ten or so Kings of Essex carved into it’s roof.

... and one allegedly buried in Westminster Abbey.

Essex, Sussex and Kent were Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, and the isle of Wight was independent for a while until taken over by Wessex. Cornwall of course (although I'm not sure if we know if it was a single kingdom or not). Yorkshire is pretty much the territory of the Norse Kingdom of York under Eric Bloodaxe. Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire are territories of three of the five viking armies (the other two were the Lincolnshire parts of Lindsey, itself a former Anglo-Saxon kingdom) and Kesteven, based on Lincoln and Stamford respectively). When you mess with our counties, you mess with some old territorial boundaries indeed.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Pulpstar's predictions (Not bet tips ^_~)

Stage 1 TdF (Choice)

1 Cavendish /2 Kittel /3 Greipel

Stage 2 TdF

1 Gerrans /2 Costa /3 Sagan

Overall

1 Froome/2 Contador

Points Jersey:

1 Sagan

British Grand Prix

1 Hamilton 2 Rosberg 3 Ricciardo

Wimbledon

Bouchard/Djokovic (Though I'd love to see Federer get another !)

World Cup (Today)

Belgium/Netherlands
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Pulpstar said:

Hmm

Pigs will fly before Yorkshire and Lancashire merge lol
    They are merged on my coat of arms. The ribbons are the white of York and the red of Lancaster but the arms are thoroughly County Palatine of Lancaster
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

Why are you so obsessed with merging counties? Some of them would already make reasonable States of the USA (Hampshire for example) and others, although musch smaller, obviously have a local identity.like Cornwall. I think that any devolution should at least nominally be made to the Kingdom of England, it is after all the oldest centralised nation state in Europe, although it might be a part-time government with largely nugatory powers (such as some strategic functions - roads and railways - and more importantly the power to audit the next tier down). Most power - at least what Scotland now has - should be further delegated to counties, cities, or whatever the locals want.

Yes, I am trying to make England ungovernable - it is my definition of democracy ;-)

if Scotland and Wales are allowed a national identity, so must England.

• Options
    Mr. Smithson, I take it you'll be enjoying Ilkley Moor whilst there? 'tis a splendid place.

King Cole, there was a Kingdom of York (well, Jorvik) under the Vikings. Erik Bloodaxe was the last king.

Mr. Rog, not heard those before. They're rather good.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, that order for the Grand Prix looks like the single likeliest result. I was tempted by the 4.5 on Ricciardo to be winner with Hamilton and Rosberg, but a few things could upset it. Alonso and Vettel are also fast, the weather could be ropey and a mistake at Silverstone will often see someone hit a barrier or gravel trap rather than a run-off area.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Just heard on R4, the shadow Home Secretary named as Ed Cooper!
    That is really a load of Balls.
  • Options

Why are you so obsessed with merging counties? Some of them would already make reasonable States of the USA (Hampshire for example) and others, although musch smaller, obviously have a local identity.like Cornwall. I think that any devolution should at least nominally be made to the Kingdom of England, it is after all the oldest centralised nation state in Europe, although it might be a part-time government with largely nugatory powers (such as some strategic functions - roads and railways - and more importantly the power to audit the next tier down). Most power - at least what Scotland now has - should be further delegated to counties, cities, or whatever the locals want.

Yes, I am trying to make England ungovernable - it is my definition of democracy ;-)

Like I said with bigger counties you could do more devolution without losing efficiency, and get clearer accountability because you wouldn't need as much to be done by weird, cross-county bodies which prevent voters from following who is responsible for what.

I know better than to mess with the Cornish, and what I've described is opt-in by the counties in question, albeit with potential budgetary sweetners.

Obviously you _can_ do radical decentralization to very small areas, but it ends up either being inefficient or getting undone on the ground when they club together to deliver the actual services, which is the same as if they were merged only less accountable.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    edited July 2014
    The best thing from the Olympics.

http://up.metropol247.co.uk/samwsmith1/Screen Shot 2012-08-07 at 23_32_48 (Yorkshire On Olympic Medal Table).png

David is right that the appeal of the old counties is an untapped political force. He has clearly overlooked Sussex as the greatest county though.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    The usual tripe from Yorkshire about being the best county. Norfolk is, was, and ever more shall be the finest county. Unchanged, not needing to be split up into awkward lumps, beautiful beyond words. The home of Nelson, the home of heroes. Also the centre if the kingdom of East Anglia, that wondrous part of the Septarchy, waiting to once again break free from the yoke of Wessex and it's abject kings.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited July 2014
    Will Mike Smithson be clad in lycra this weekend .... the good folk of Yorkshire need to be warned !!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Like I said with bigger counties you could do more devolution without losing efficiency, and get clearer accountability because you wouldn't need as much to be done by weird, cross-county bodies which prevent voters from following who is responsible for what.

I know better than to mess with the Cornish, and what I've described is opt-in by the counties in question, albeit with potential budgetary sweetners.

Obviously you _can_ do radical decentralization to very small areas, but it ends up either being inefficient or getting undone on the ground when they club together to deliver the actual services, which is the same as if they were merged only less accountable.
    As was pointed out up-thread some existing counties have larger populations that some states in the USA yet states like Montana (population about two thirds that of Sussex) seem to manage devolved powers without too much problem and without feeling the need that efficiency and accountability would be improved by merging with Idaho and Wyoming.

• Options
    "One local farmer has raked in thousands, through turning two big fields adjacent to the route into a temporary camp-site. Unfortunately he has since received a call from his landlord, who pointed out the under the terms of the tenancy agreement, and such non-farming income belongs to him, and not his tenant. Ah well, easy come..."

I take it the Landlord was a Yorkshireman too then.

I wish the Tour de France well in its foray into God's Own County. It must be said however that if Yorkshire is to host this or indeed its own "tour" in future then it needs to seriously sort out the traffic implications for towns such as Holmfirth, where I found myself totally gridlocked for 3 solid hours yesterday afternoon. Small towns such as this are totally incapable of coping with the huge surge in traffic volumes without very meticulous planning of which there was clearly none. Even two or three bobbies directing things might have helped to ease the congestion somewhat, but of course the Boys in Blue were conspicuous by their absence. Then again it was POETS day.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    I'm not sure that the crude measure of £ per capita spent on transport projects the appropriate metric, though obviously it is an easy one.

Firstly, there are different costs associated with London vs Yorkshire: you are building in a urban area, with higher property prices (and hence purchase and compensation costs) and with (AIUI) difficult earth to be working with (I think it is very variable, and unpredictably so).

What you probably need instead is some measure of passenger utility.

For instance, google tells me there are 24 million passenger journeys on the Tube each day. For Network Rail, there are only 192,000 passenger journeys per day in the Yorkshire/Humberside region (NB: these are 2006 figures, so let's arbitrarily increase that to 240,000 per day to take account of increased passenger usage.

On that basis, the Tube would deserve 100x the spending on Yorkshire. Clearly the Yorkshire trips are longer - no idea what the average length would be. In London (this is a guess), I'd say that the average length is around 5-7 miles. Let's assume (again a guess) the average trip length in Yorkshire is 25-35 miles or 5x as long as London.

On that basis you could justify that London deserves 20x the spending of Yorkshire.

Actually, what you need to do is look at (a) the total budget available (b) what is critical spend and (c) after critical spend accounted for what optional spend will add the most value. But that's probably too technocratic.
  • Options
    I've backed Belgium to win in 90mins and to qualify overall.

I'm not sure what to do about Netherlands v Costa Rica. I did back Costa Rica to win the tournament when they were something like 500/1.
  • Options

The usual tripe from Yorkshire about being the best county. Norfolk is, was, and ever more shall be the finest county. Unchanged, not needing to be split up into awkward lumps, beautiful beyond words. The home of Nelson, the home of heroes. Also the centre if the kingdom of East Anglia, that wondrous part of the Septarchy, waiting to once again break free from the yoke of Wessex and it's abject kings.

and oh so very, very, flat and dare one say it, just a mite boring compared with Yorkshire.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Talking of whom, I haven't seen Charles on duty here for a few days. I trust he is well.

I am, just busy. But thank you for asking.
  • Options

Yorkshire folk ....... you've just got to luv 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPjJFv1NDBg&feature=kp

That is superb.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

I live close to part of today's route, and am pleased to confirm that lots of money will be changing hands. I was expecting things to be busy, but was truly astonished by the continuous convoy of vehicles bearing bicycles and spectators that transited through my usually sleepy neighbourhood last night.

One local farmer has raked in thousands, through turning two big fields adjacent to the route into a temporary camp-site. Unfortunately he has since received a call from his landlord, who pointed out the under the terms of the tenancy agreement, and such non-farming income belongs to him, and not his tenant. Ah well, easy come...
    But presumably the farmer has incurred costs and time which should be charged before determining the profits that he has to send on to the landlord...
  • Options

I'm not sure what to do about Netherlands v Costa Rica. I did back Costa Rica to win the tournament when they were something like 500/1.

Good luck with that 500/1 bet TSE. OGH would never dare show his face again!
    I feel some affection towards Costa Rica, having backed them at 12/1 to qualify from Group D and at an incredible 80/1 to win the Group which of course they did (thank you Sportingbet!) ..... I can't remember whether I suggested one or other these bets on PB.com at the time.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Matt is on the subject of the thread

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    edited July 2014

It's funny, though, that everywhere else feels the need to beat their chests and boast about how great they are.

Wessex remains silent, confident in its own superiority.

Stand up Wessex! The True England!
  • Options
    Charles said:

It's funny, though, that everywhere else feels the need to beat their chests and boast about how great they are.

*Checks Map*

Nope, no sign of a county called Wessex, didn't think there was and there never has been.

So, Mr Charles, are you really an Edmundite, arguing for regionalisation in the name of efficiency and accountability? Maybe, you are just leading a land grab by Hampshire in which the counties of the South West will be cast down under the iron heel of the Winchester Jackboot.
  • Options

Good luck with that 500/1 bet TSE. OGH would never dare show his face again!
    I feel some affection towards Costa Rica, having backed them at 12/1 to qualify from Group D and at an incredible 80/1 to win the Group which of course they did (thank you Sportingbet!) ..... I can't remember whether I suggested one or other these bets on PB.com at the time.

Mr Pulpstar tipped them when they 1000/1 I think.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    Terrible idea. I don't want to see the ancient and historic country of England "regionalised" by carving it up into puny fiefdoms, which will be forever bickering with each other. It will further weaken and haemorrhage our mutual identity.

I can perhaps support localism - greater powers being devolved to historic English counties - but not this Balkanisation delivered through a plethora of contrived (and plenty will be contrived) regional parliaments.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534

EiT has very little respect for English national identity. To him it's all about "efficiency".
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Lincolnshire must count as a country in one already. It has flat fens but unlike Norfolk, the denizens have five fingers on most hands. It has rolling hills but unlike Lancashire it is not lashed by monsoon drenchings. It has industry, even though that industry is agriculture (and we don't count rhubarb). It has mass immigration even though the country is still denuded of large cities like Yorkshire.

And finally, Isaac Newton, Lord Tennyson and Margaret Thatcher.

Err ... two out of three isn't bad.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    More than 10 current and former politicians are on a list of alleged child abusers held by police investigating claims of a Westminster paedophile ring.
    MPs or peers from all three main political parties are on the list, which includes former ministers and household names.
    Several, including Cyril Smith and Sir Peter Morrison, are no longer alive, but others are still active in Parliament.

Yesterday The Daily Telegraph disclosed that a senior Tory who is being investigated as part of Operation Fernbridge was allegedly stopped by a customs officer with child pornography in the 1980s.
    The customs officer who made the seizure can now be named as Maganlal Solanki, 76, who said at his home in Leicester yesterday: “I don't want to go over it all. It's very disturbing for me. I've been told not to say anything by my department."
    Asked about the senior Tory, who was never arrested over the alleged child pornography seizure, Mr Solanki said: “Well, that is just a matter for him.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10947561/More-than-10-politicians-on-list-held-by-police-investigating-Westminster-paedophile-ring.html
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Charles said:

*Checks Map*

Nope, no sign of a county called Wessex, didn't think there was and there never has been.

So, Mr Charles, are you really an Edmundite, arguing for regionalisation in the name of efficiency and accountability? Maybe, you are just leading a land grab by Hampshire in which the counties of the South West will be cast down under the iron heel of the Winchester Jackboot.
    Wessex is a state of mind, not a mere county. And Edmund Ironside was a fool.

(As for efficiency, the merger of TVPA and the Hampshire Constabulary has cost money and resulted in worse service for the long-suffering people of Hampshire. What we had was perfectly good, thank you very much.)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    In Welsh news, the people's republic is wailing today about English criticism of the NHS.

Cameron, apparently, called Offa's Dyke 'a line between life and death'

Strong stuff.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Lincolnshire must count as a country in one already. It has flat fens but unlike Norfolk, the denizens have five fingers on most hands. It has rolling hills but unlike Lancashire it is not lashed by monsoon drenchings. It has industry, even though that industry is agriculture (and we don't count rhubarb). It has mass immigration even though the country is still denuded of large cities like Yorkshire.

LOL !
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    edited July 2014
    I can understand the concerns about losing the unity of England by regionalisation but I think that something seriously needs to be done about the absurd London dominance of England and indeed the UK.

The point made by David in his article about the transport spend in London and Yorkshire is just one example of the consequences. It is all very well to say London pays the bills, and it does, but if money simply flows to money no one else gets a look in.

The idea of a mega city in the north west recently supported by Osborne seems to me an excellent place to start. Once such a structure is in place a proper focus can be given to improving transport and infrastructure over an area large enough to obtain the critical mass required for the breakthrough for innovation and enterprise.

But other areas also need to think carefully about how they create viable economies going forward and the appropriate level needed to provide the engines of growth. History, cultural links and tradition are only useful up to a point in such a judgment. We need to be thinking about the next 100 years not the last millennium.

So what do we need? I think the priorities for a viable economy are transport, broadband, universities of international standard, a degree of specialism to create that critical innovative mass, a coordination of colleges and other educational establishments to support the successes in the areas and a focus on international links, not just supplying the rest of the UK. I think it is very difficult to achieve most or any of that for less than 5m people and suggest that once you get over 10m the objectives are likely to be too diverse to have coherence. So suggestions for an appropriate level should look to tick these boxes and no doubt some more I have not thought of. Does Yorkshire?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

*Checks Map*

(As for efficiency, the merger of TVPA and the Hampshire Constabulary has cost money and resulted in worse service for the long-suffering people of Hampshire. What we had was perfectly good, thank you very much.)
    Crikey, I never knew that proposed merger actually happened. God knows who thought it would be a good idea for the people, but chief officers of police are paid in accordance with the size of their force, so you can see whose interests were served. They tried it on with us, wanting to merge Sussex with Surrey. The senior plod were all for it but we managed to see them off.

The thing about counties and, most, cities is that they are human in scale and, in the main, deeply embedded in our notions of who we are and where we come from. Mucking about with them in some search for efficiency seldom works. Mind you, that's not to say some technocrat doesn't come up with a scheme every decade or so despite the lessons of past failures.

There are also long term forces at work, the Home Office has been trying to get a national police force under its direction for nearly a century and has an institutional memory of the return to local constabularies after WW2 as being an act of near treason.
  • Options

CD13 said:

LOL !
    Yes, I too thought putting Tennyson in the list was pretty dubious.
  • Options
    P3 underway. Wets and intermediates in use, showers due in 30 minutes.
  • Options
    How informed do people think this piece of speculation is? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10946652/David-Cameron-to-promote-women-to-Cabinet-as-he-readies-for-tough-election-fight.html

The name that surprised me for an exit was Eric Pickles who I always think is one of the Tories better performers. Unless he is going back to being party chairman again for the election which would make some sense.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

*Checks Map*

Crikey, I never knew that proposed merger actually happened. God knows who thought it would be a good idea for the people, but chief officers of police are paid in accordance with the size of their force, so you can see whose interests were served. They tried it on with us, wanting to merge Sussex with Surrey. The senior plod were all for it but we managed to see them off.

The thing about counties and, most, cities is that they are human in scale and, in the main, deeply embedded in our notions of who we are and where we come from. Mucking about with them in some search for efficiency seldom works. Mind you, that's not to say some technocrat doesn't come up with a scheme every decade or so despite the lessons of past failures.

There are also long term forces at work, the Home Office has been trying to get a national police force under its direction for nearly a century and has an institutional memory of the return to local constabularies after WW2 as being an act of near treason.
    Every lay member of the Hampshire police authority voted against it. The politicians were heavily whipped in favour.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Most of lowland Lincolnshire will be subsumed back into the Norfolk empire, aka Kingdom of East Anglia.
    As for Wessex. Pah. Wessex will get what has been coming to it since ca 600AD
  • Options
    @DavidL

I think you are putting the cart before the horse: you have identified what a city needs to be successful but you haven't answered the fundamental question: why?

Liverpool and Bristol grew on the Atlantic shipping trade, Manchester (I believe) from weaving, Sheffield from steel and coal, Hartlepool and Newcastle from wool and coal, etc.

It's not enough to say "we need a northern city to balance London" - what we need is a reason why a city will grow naturally and be self-sustaining. Once we have that: absolutely, invest in the infrastructure and support systems needed to make it flourish. But to do the latter without the former will end up as a money sink and folie grandeur
  • Options
    Very soggy out there. Sounds like qualifying be a bit wet and dry.

Yorkshire's got blue skies at the moment, though.
  • Options

As was pointed out up-thread some existing counties have larger populations that some states in the USA yet states like Montana (population about two thirds that of Sussex) seem to manage devolved powers without too much problem and without feeling the need that efficiency and accountability would be improved by merging with Idaho and Wyoming.

They have a very large land area, though, which is a factor too.

Some heavily-devolved states are quite successful with small populations, but arguably a lot of that is based on enabling regulatory arbitrage at the expense of their neighbours. Realistically the choice in the UK is between large areas with devolved control and small areas with centralized control from Westminster, or wherever you put the English tier if you decide to throw in an English government covering 85% of the people the UK government already covers.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

How informed do people think this piece of speculation is? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10946652/David-Cameron-to-promote-women-to-Cabinet-as-he-readies-for-tough-election-fight.html

The name that surprised me for an exit was Eric Pickles who I always think is one of the Tories better performers. Unless he is going back to being party chairman again for the election which would make some sense.

How informed it is I wouldn't know, but as the story is appearing in the Telegraph I would guess not very (that paper seems to have sacked its good journalists). Whether such a reshuffle is a sensible idea is another matter, suddenly promoting a bunch of women to cabinet rank on the run up to the election will be open to charges of tokenism which might be even more damaging than there aren't enough women in senior positions.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Terrible idea. I don't want to see the ancient and historic country of England "regionalised" by carving it up into puny fiefdoms, which will be forever bickering with each other. It will further weaken and haemorrhage our mutual identity.

I can perhaps support localism - greater powers being devolved to historic English counties - but not this Balkanisation delivered through a plethora of contrived (and plenty will be contrived) regional parliaments.

I really don't understand this argument. I am complicated enough to hold many identities, I can manage with a regional identity as well as a national identity, as I have plenty of other identities already:

I am human, European, British, English - why not add Wessex? Further to that I am a father, a mathematician, a scientist, a knitter, a baker, etc.

The country of England can survive a sensible subdivision: Yorkshire, Thames, Wessex, Cornwall, Mercia, East Anglia, Lancashire, Sussex and Northumbria. Yorkshire would be about average-szied, with Cornwall at the small extreme and Thames (incorporating London and the Thames and Medway rwatersheds) would be the largest.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Most of lowland Lincolnshire will be subsumed back into the Norfolk empire, aka Kingdom of East Anglia.
    You do realise that London was a midden when East Anglia ruled it, and it only began to flourish after Wessex stepped in to sort out the mess?
  • Options
    Worth mentioning that this won't help Hamilton's efforts to catch up after missing part of P2 yesterday.

Some teams aren't doing much running at all, because there are limited numbers of wet and intermediate tyres available. If the race and qualifying are wet it is possible to run out, which would not necessarily be conducive to victory.
  • Options

They have a very large land area, though, which is a factor too.

Some heavily-devolved states are quite successful with small populations, but arguably a lot of that is based on enabling regulatory arbitrage at the expense of their neighbours. Realistically the choice in the UK is between large areas with devolved control and small areas with centralized control from Westminster, or wherever you put the English tier if you decide to throw in an English government covering 85% of the people the UK government already covers.
    Of course Westminister would be shrunk down in size and scope (or should be) to avoid duplication: it should be just a federal structure.
  • Options

Very soggy out there. Sounds like qualifying be a bit wet and dry.

Yorkshire's got blue skies at the moment, though.

Yep !
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    Since when are the people of Yorkshire reticent about singing their own praises? The sheer fact that a Yorkshire First party exists and got over 1% suggests they are more likely to think of themselves as unique than almost any other county, and when people think of themselves as unique it generally isn't because they think they are uniquely bad.
  • Options
    Charles said:

CD13 said:

You do realise that London was a midden when East Anglia ruled it, and it only began to flourish after Wessex stepped in to sort out the mess?
    I'll see your London and raise you Raedwald, the greatest of the kings that has ever ruled in this land.
    Forth Wuffingas! And claim your birthright
  • Options
    Absolutely classic piece of trollbait in the Telegraph: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/marthagilltech/100013948/i-know-climate-change-nuts-are-annoying-lord-lawson-but-sadly-theyre-right/

Surely Sean has not had a sex change?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Since when are the people of Yorkshire reticent about singing their own praises? The sheer fact that a Yorkshire First party exists and got over 1% suggests they are more likely to think of themselves as unique than almost any other county, and when people think of themselves as unique it generally isn't because they think they are uniquely bad.

Yorkshire is a county you have to go through to get to more interesting and beautiful places
  • Options

DavidL said:

How informed it is I wouldn't know, but as the story is appearing in the Telegraph I would guess not very (that paper seems to have sacked its good journalists). Whether such a reshuffle is a sensible idea is another matter, suddenly promoting a bunch of women to cabinet rank on the run up to the election will be open to charges of tokenism which might be even more damaging than there aren't enough women in senior positions.
    I'd be minded to agree, I really don't see that the gains of suddenly sacking a bunch of old grandees from minor positions, like Clarke, and getting in some of the 2010 intake, particularly some women, even to more senior positions, in the dead end of the parliament will achieve much. They won't have time to do anything substantive, so it's purely a cosmetic change, an image fixer not based on talent, or they would have been promoted earlier, at least with enough time to make their mark.

I'm a little surprised Pickles might be in the frame for an exit, as I think he has made his mark, but perhaps that is the reason in his case for his exit. He's despised by a lot of local authorities, maybe it's felt a new face will be needed to smooth things out a bit, even though things will continue to get harder to the LAs.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, a fair number put 'Yorkshire' as nationality, ethnicity and/or religion on the last census, I believe.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, a fair number put 'Yorkshire' as nationality, ethnicity and/or religion on the last census, I believe.

I well believe it.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    I have mixed opinions on counties, I like the idea but living in Teesside makes it a bit problematic. Stockton Borough Council is the only authority in England that crosses over historical boundaries (Yarm is south of the Tees and therefore in Yorkshire), and realistically people see Middlesbrough as being more associated with Stockton, Hartlepool and Redcar than with Thirsk or Northallerton. Unless they work in Boro but want to be posh.

Equally - Hartlepool, County Durham? Hmmm.

Bring back County Cleveland.
  • Options
    Charles said:

@DavidL

I think you are putting the cart before the horse: you have identified what a city needs to be successful but you haven't answered the fundamental question: why?

Liverpool and Bristol grew on the Atlantic shipping trade, Manchester (I believe) from weaving, Sheffield from steel and coal, Hartlepool and Newcastle from wool and coal, etc.

It's not enough to say "we need a northern city to balance London" - what we need is a reason why a city will grow naturally and be self-sustaining. Once we have that: absolutely, invest in the infrastructure and support systems needed to make it flourish. But to do the latter without the former will end up as a money sink and folie grandeur

That is why I mentioned "a degree of specialism to create that critical innovative mass, a coordination of colleges and other educational establishments to support the successes in the areas and a focus on international links, not just supplying the rest of the UK."

To take the example of IT, there is an increasing risk that this is going to be yet another London speciality. Surely a regional level authority based in Cambridge could try to do something about that?

A city or a region needs to focus on existing strengths and then focus policy at an appropriate level to build on those strengths. Most of England's current authorities are simply too small to achieve this.

• Options

Charles said:

CD13 said:

I'll see your London and raise you Raedwald, the greatest of the kings that has ever ruled in this land.
    Is that Raedwald the Great?

Oops, no, sorry. That's Alfred the Great, King of *Wessex*. It must be Raedwald the Forgotton.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

CD13 said:

Is that Raedwald the Great?

Oops, no, sorry. That's Alfred the Great, King of *Wessex*. It must be Raedwald the Forgotton.
    It's Aethelstan I feel sorry for. Good claim to be the first true King of a united England, building on the work of particularly his grandfather, but totally overshadowed by him.

• Options
    Huffposts contribution to the topic of the day: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/03/le-tour-yorkshire-french-translation-guide_n_5554354.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

More mildly amusing than hilarious I thought but still.
This discussion has been closed.